posted at 5:15 pm on December 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

The problem, it seems, is that even in the midst of a recession “the wealthy continue to prosper.” The AP reports:

“Extending the tax cuts for the very wealthiest Americans is frankly unconscionable,” Yale Law School professor Daniel Markovits said Wednesday. With the website’s help, “donors can pledge their money to support the kinds of programs that will help families, create jobs, and set the country moving toward a just prosperity,” the professors said in announcing the initiative.

Markovits, Yale political scientist Jacob Hacker, and Cornell law professor Robert Hockett started the campaign. Hacker is co-author of “Winner Take All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer — and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class.”

The three recommend giving to groups such as Habitat for Humanity, Children’s Aid Society and Salvation Army that they say promote fairness, economic growth and a strong middle class. They say the contributions could replicate good government policy and, in effect, draft the government as a funding partner when the donation is tax deductible.

“The collective giving together becomes almost a kind of shadow fiscal policy,” Markovits said.

Fun fact about Hacker: He’s been called “the godfather of the public option.” I have no objection to charitable donations, whatever the motive for them might be, but I do have two questions about their suggested list of recipients. One: If this is all about “economic growth” and job creation, why limit the list to charities? Last year we dropped almost $800 billion of taxpayer money on, ahem, “shovel-ready projects” to stimulate the economy. If that’s the way to kickstart hiring, why not direct our tax cut savings to similar projects instead of to the Salvation Army? Granted, donations of that sort wouldn’t be tax deductible, but that’s a small price to pay for absolution of liberal guilt over one’s paycheck. Besides, wouldn’t it be comforting to know that “Jamming for Dollars” and other worthy stimulus projects are getting another cash infusion?

Two: Isn’t there one very special organization missing from their list? These guys didn’t launch their website because they’re worried that people aren’t donating enough to charity; they’re aggrieved because people aren’t “donating” enough to the government. But there’s an easy way to solve that, thanks to the Treasury Department: You could … donate to the government! Yes, really! There was a splashy blogosphere meme about that last year and everything. In fact, the feds now even have a handy online donation page for your convenience. Donations are, it should be noted, earmarked for paying down the national debt, not for flushing down the stimulus toilet, but I’m sure that could be tweaked with a little progressive grassroots pressure on the White House. There’s nothing keeping that tax cut dividend in your pocket (and if you use the calculator on the site, you’ll see that it’s not just “the rich” who are getting one). So c’mon. Dig deep.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ll be donating to the most important non-profit sector: my wallet.

Apologetic California on December 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I wonder how much Markovits gives to charity each year and what percentage of his total gross it is? If it’s anything like Biden and Obama do he’s not one who should be talking…

MikeknaJ on December 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Or you could hire someone. That would be a very direct stimulus.

MochaLite on December 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM

The problem, it seems, is that even in the midst of a recession “professors continue to prosper on the backs of tax paying, private sector working men and women.”

yubley on December 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I gave to the Salvation Army over Christmas. I have two kids. One heading to college in the fall of 2011. That right now, is the charity of choice for me.

capejasmine on December 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I’m going to donate to the federal government. Oh, wait, no, I’d rather saw my testicles off with a butter knife.

amerpundit on December 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I anticipate a celebrity-studded Twitter campaign to kick off this massive, uber-patriotic liberal donation drive to pay down the Leviathan-like debt.

Those musicians, movie and TV stars, directors and writers (and their lawyers, too) all have deep pockets.

Let them put their extra money where their big mouths are.

Good Lt on December 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

This just reinforces my opinion that the Ivy League schools are the worst in education. No wonder their graduates (i.e., Obama, GWB, Clinton, Kennedy, etc.) are such blithering idiots.

MeAlice on December 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

And that puts more money in MY pocket how? — some government bureaucrat.

18-1 on December 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

MikeknaJ on December 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM

That’s the liberals. Not all…but a lot. Do as I say, not as I do mentality. They’re always preaching when it comes to other peoples money. But to offer up their own…well that’s blasphemy! They give enough by their mere existence.

capejasmine on December 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Are donations to the Treasury Department tax deductible? In any case, what about those of us who have already given more than 10% to charity? Should we cut back?

sabbahillel on December 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Will the publish the list of donors?

WashJeff on December 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

amerpundit on December 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

ROFL!!! OUCHY!!! LOL

capejasmine on December 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

What are you pullin’ down Professor D-Bag?

darwin-t on December 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

How about these professors step down and allow a struggling young educator to take their place? You know, in the spirit of fairness.

Bishop on December 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Hmm, unconscionable? Is the purpose of the Tax Code to assuage one’s conscious? Silly me, I thought it was to fund the limited duties delineated by the Constitution.

trubble on December 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I do donate to a very important charity: rbj’s beer fund.

rbj on December 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Yeah, it’s obvious what they’re trying to do here too…Demand charitable contributions from “the rich”…Because hey, what heartless scrooge would argue against that?

Mandatory Charity. Kinda an oxymoron.

JetBoy on December 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Well, here. Lemme fish around a bit in my pocket and see what I can fi– Oh, fabulous! Two dimes and three pennies. OK, then. We’re golden. Professor, I herewith donate the profits from my tax cut to the Michael Bloomberg Ground Zero Mosque Campaign For a Better New York.

FlameWarrior on December 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Donations are, it should be noted, earmarked for paying down the national debt, not for flushing down the stimulus toilet….

Oh sure, I trust them.

tru2tx on December 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I will be looking for my tax-cut savings, in the mean time, with this economy, charity is going to begin and end at home until things improve.

fourdeucer on December 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM

amerpundit on December 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM

*shudder*

What do you think the real reason is that the TSA is fondling our junk? First they came for our money…then…

*shudder!*

JetBoy on December 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM

These people are held up as the smartest people in the room. Why? Because people who think the exact same way they do say they are.

Red Cloud on December 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Maybe some of us are saving up to pay back the $40,000 borrowed in our name.

cthulhu on December 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

“….and set the country moving toward a just prosperity,”

And WHO decides what is “just”?

I would also ask if these professors are aware that the Salvation Army’s greatest mission is to “promote” Jesus Christ?

tgharris on December 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Where can I sign up to donate my welfare check?

steebo77 on December 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Thank goodness these professors are from middle-class schools like Cornell and Yale, otherwise they would just look like assholes.

JavelinaBomb on December 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

unstinkingbelievable…

cmsinaz on December 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

JavelinaBomb on December 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

cmsinaz on December 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Seems to me this idea is more likely to backfire. I should fully expect to see liberals opposed to this policy making donations to this cause or to the treasury department.

Conservatives who view they know how to spend\invest their money better than others, and do not support higher tax rates, have no such expectations.

WashJeff on December 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I suggest these professors lead by example…

First, they quit their unions and give up the life long pension and health care.

Next, they quit teaching and open a small business, using the Marxist/Socialist model that they teach…

… then, as the cash is sure to roll in, donate a large percentage to the bloated, incompetent, corrupt, and wasteful bureaucracy of their choice.

Problem solved!

(crickets chirping)

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Why are they so worried that the donation be tax-deductible?

BKeyser on December 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

…and set the country moving toward a just prosperity,”

What exactly is the definition of a just prosperity? And who’s definition will we be using? Sounds vaguely socialistic to me. And we know why college professors at Yale like socialism. Being part of the thinking and ruling (by appointment) elite class of American Society they make an average of $174,000 a year.

Tommy_G on December 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

What a huge waste of time.

jeanie on December 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

cmsinaz on December 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Savings, what savings? How does maintaining the same tax rates we’ve had for years constitute savings?

That said, I’m all for voluntary contributions to the Treasury made by Warren Buffet and all of the others who are upset that they don’t personally pay enough. There’s a simple solution to assuaging their concern that doesn’t require that the rest of the population be coerced into following their example.

obladioblada on December 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

JetBoy on December 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM

OT…………..

Loved your picture last night………..

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I’m going to donate to the local Gun store, they could sue the money, I could use the guns. (lost all of mine in boating accident last week).

Fake8 on December 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

(EA)

So they want the rich to pay more taxes and then “sell” the idea of making donations by noting that it’s tax deductible. I thought they were about making the rich pay their fair share in taxes? Is it too much to ask that they show some intellectual consistency?

landshark on December 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

OT…………..

Loved your picture last night………..

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

:D

It was late, didn’t think anyone saw it

JetBoy on December 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I suggest these professors lead by example…

Problem solved!

(crickets chirping)

Seven Percent Solution on December 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Funny they weren’t Smart enough to think of that on their own.

Fake8 on December 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Hey guys, I have free advice for you. I’m willing to bet that if you pony up first, THEN call for people to do what they can, you will seem more sincere and comitted to your “cause” than you do now. Because calling tax rates unconscionable just makes you sound like a hysterical loon looking for money from other people to satisfy your ego.

Mord on December 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM

OT…………..

Loved your picture last night………..

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

?

lorien1973 on December 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM

If they want to help out, they ought to donate to the US Treasury.

krome on December 29, 2010 at 5:46 PM

What kind of profit do college professors make? Maybe they should donate their next tuition increase to charities.

You know, this profit thing, everybody likes profit. I don’t care if you’re a waitress, work at WalMart or a CEO. You’re making a profit. If you’ve got money left over after paying your basic bills, bought groceries and so forth, you’ve got a profit. For that matter, if you’re getting more money from your job than your job has cost you in expenses, you’ve got a profit! Maybe you shouldn’t be allowed to keep that either.
These people who go off on profits may live to regret it. Consider the open borders crowd for a minute. Consider how much the average family makes each your in Central America and try telling them you don’t make a profit or are a poor American cause you only earn 25,000. a year. The average income for a family is around $6000 in Mexico.

So, while the so called poor in this country fall for this class warfare crap and shake their fists at the rich here, there’s a whole lot of people down south of us who are shaking fists at them! What goes around comes around as they say.

JellyToast on December 29, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I blame the French. They invented all this crap over 100 years ago, and now are the titleholders of the VAT too.

Go after them, and their adherents, with pitchforks. They are the honest men/workers’ moochers. Hate and detest them with all your might. Fight to destroy them, forever, for they will never give up in destroying you.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM

If they don’t believe they deserve the tax cut, it is the height of irresponsibility and hypocrisy for them to donate to charity and take the tax deduction that comes with it. No, they should follow the suggestion I make here — http://rhymeswithright.mu.nu/archives/308541.php

RhymesWithRight on December 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

$10 says this idea was concocted over brandy at a four-star restaurant and the bill went on an expense account.

sherry on December 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

OT…………..

Loved your picture last night………..

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM
:D

It was late, didn’t think anyone saw it

JetBoy on December 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Wasn’t it great! Get to work JetBoy. That thing will go viral the minute you’re done.

sherry on December 29, 2010 at 5:50 PM

A. it’s not a tax cut, it’s an extension of existing rates. the extension avoided an increase in taxes.

B. i’ll keep my ‘taxes saved’ right where they belong; Hip National

DrW on December 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

?

lorien1973 on December 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Shhhhhh…..it’s a secret.

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

How is the Govt. taking too much a savings?

multiuseless on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

It’s a progressive tax system. The more they make, the more they pay in taxes. I want them to make as much money as possible. Frackin economic illiterates.

Did they listen to zero’s press conference? Wasn’t he touting the job creating potential?

mossberg500 on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I always donate to my favorite charity, ME!

Kini on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Joe Biden will be first because it is the patriotic thing to do! …..not really, he is the cheapest person I have ever heard of…. he donates .0001% of his income, and he has had a federal pension in his pocket(earned?) for more than 20 years.

tim c on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Don’t these elitist snobs realize that rich people already give to charity? They act like “the rich” are are a bunch of drooling rubes that need to be told to play nice and give money to the poor.

Dollar to a donut not a one in this bunch knows the meaning of the word tithe.

soozer47 on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Actually it was Vilfredo Pareto, the father of the pareto chart. He was an Italion socialist that developed a chart showing the disparity of wealth among the masses.

fourdeucer on December 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Dear Ass Clown,

If you want to set the country moving towards propersity, demand the government stop raping working Americans, stop demonizing the successful people that produce jobs, and stop treating hard work and success as some disease,

Of course you have no idea what hard work is you pampered leech. You suck from the government teat even more than the hordes of dependents the government has created.

I repeat, if you want prosperity, demand the government leave us the hell alone.

darwin on December 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Tomorrow I might send a check for one cent. How much would it cost to process a penny check?

MayorDaley on December 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Fake8 on December 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

That’s your story and you’re sticking with it? Good one!

tru2tx on December 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Liberals trying to guilt other liberals into charitable giving? Too funny.

Dee2008 on December 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

These professors at elite schools don’t make it easy to determine their income. It is easier to get fresh data from lower tier schools and particularly from public schools. Lawjobs.com in a now three year old study states,

“Salaries for full professors vary widely and remain undisclosed by most private schools. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean annual salary in 2006 for law teachers was $94,290. The median associate law professor salary, according to http://www.Salary.com, is $101,558. Salaries for full professors at the most elite law schools can range from $250,000 to $300,000 annually.”

I guess that means the professors are suggesting that others make financial donations (presumably the $125 plus Obama rich)and find it convenient that they fall slightly below the donor level. The elite school professors are on their own but given my knowledge of such folks don’t be looking for big checks in the mail, charity guys.

Mason on December 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

JavelinaBomb on December 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Thought it was worthy of repeating.

29Victor on December 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I always donate to my favorite charity, ME!

Kini on December 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I just donated a whole bunch to Princess cruise lines. Hawaii and Tahiti here I come.

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Fake8 on December 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Ouch !

Have a brother who lost a rifle that way.

BowHuntingTexas on December 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Don’t conservatives already do this?

tax deductible

I’m sure they’ll refuse the deduction on the grounds that the government needs the money, right? Right??

calbear on December 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

yeah baby :)

cmsinaz on December 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Stossel will talk about charitable giving tomorrow, Thur, on FBN. Guess who people think gives more and who actually gives more.

marinetbryant on December 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

fourdeucer on December 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM

The French, and Marxx, Engels and etc., however, created the ideas to create the disparity Pareto charted, even if he believed in the ideas…

I despise them all, with fury. Fight them day and night.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Maybe the Professor can take a pay cut, making education more affordable?

Oil Can on December 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I could do without their pretentiousness, but if they get people to donate to worthy causes, the results are good. I won’t begrudge them the opportunity to spend their money as they like.

malclave on December 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I have a better idea. The amount I save with the current tax rates allows me to hire someone to clean the house every other week. Lower my taxes enough, I might be able to hire someone to do my yard. Gee, wouldn’t that be stimulative?

AZfederalist on December 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Why not cut out the middle man altogether? If these profs want to help the poor, just go to a poor part of town and give away cash directly to the people. But that would mean actually interacting with the poor, and we can’t have an esteemed Yale professor actually doing that, can we?

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Donate to the group who gave us unsustainable debt? Idjits, at Yale? Say it ain’t so.

Dr Evil on December 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Wow. Go figure that a movement that encourages donating to charity during a recession would incite such a flamefest.

Fake8, so sorry about your guns, I had to go diving after a brand-new rod when I first went boating.

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I gave at the office. Three years now without a raise, a hike in health care premiums and tripling of my deductible, contributions to my 403 cut in half, and this year? A pay cut and no more state contributions to my retirement is in the works. I know, I am thankful to be employed.

And I didn’t think we got a tax cut, we just aren’t getting a tax increase (that I know of).

scalleywag on December 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Knucklehead on December 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Prepare to get Lai’d

Kini on December 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

fourdeucer, what I really believe is that the socialists and their lesser scum, including professors and the media, milk the “oh, we’re for the poor” meme, for political hay. But, you knew this already.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I am so disappointed that posters here have failed to discern these professors’ collective compassion. (Do they get a cut of each donation, BTW?)

And “just prosperity” is already here: “If the Porkulus spending had been just X hundred billion dollars more, then we would have achieved real prosperity.”

ya2daup on December 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

The sad part is that isn’t generally a very good thing to do. To quote a wise old social worker, “people gripe about charity being at arm’s length…but it helps keep their hands out of your pockets and the money out of taverns.”

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I despise them all, with fury. Fight them day and night.

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Yes so do I, envy, covetousness and greed are the bane of all societies.

fourdeucer on December 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM

What’s the job market for professional commies going to be like when the bottom falls out of the higher education scam, liberal states go bankrupt, and the regime is out of power? Are there any jobs “positions” for these clowns that aren’t subsidized?

forest on December 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

For sake of charity… I say these and most other professors should correspondingly give away their tenure and all its protections.

Tenure for far too many fat-cat pinko profs nowadays is an outrageous and shameful form of unearned redistributed wealth anyway, and truly everyone in our society pays for it.

The current politically-rigged club-membership system of America’s soviet professoriate is rigged against talented adjuncts who deserve far better when they show themselves to be better classroom performers than these tenure-protected loudmouths and bigwigs.

This system lavishly rewards the mediocre, the bored, and the insane who luck into their lifetime sinecures, driving up the cost of higher education consistently beyond the rate of inflation without delivering the rising real-world value that should be demanded by students, families, and taxpayers who pay through the nose for those rising costs.

There are countless brilliant, hard-working, and deserving college/university adjuncts who continue to be blatantly abused, living hand-to-mouth existences with no hope of advancement as second-class citizens in today’s academia. On the other hand, our system permits thousands upon thousands of tenured, privileged blowhards to moulder cozily in their desk chairs with fat full benefits for the rest of their cushy lives.

Edouard on December 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

What defective gene makes these jackass liberals believe that people must give their hard earned wealth away? Parasites begat parasites.

rplat on December 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Professors launch website encouraging people to donate their tax cut savings to charity…

Again,

They did the same thing back in 2001 and 2003. Didn’t work then, won’t now.

patch on December 29, 2010 at 6:17 PM

How about these a*holes donate their lifetime tenure, pension and healthcare to the needy. THEN maybe I’d give a crap about what they have to say. But then again, probably not.

redfoxbluestate on December 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM

These f’n Profressors can donate their own money and not to worry about anyone else. Is bad enough they brainwash children but they can all go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Wade on December 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Wait, so I had to figure out that the government wasn’t going to rob me before I decided to donate? Geez, all that stuff I donated before that must just be guilt or something.

Thanks, pinhead professors. I don’t need your advice to donate. Let’s open up the books and compare, shall we?

jdfister on December 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Those who can, do. Those who won’t, teach; then get ridiculous pensions.

Grayson on December 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It is true that if you know you aren’t going to lose your job- ever- you spend your money a little differently.

It is hilarious that none of these “the government should tax more” guys actually want to donate their money to the government. They prove the conservative point without even seeing it.

MayBee on December 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

So what if they want to use the money for beer at taverns? I know if I give a bum on the streets $5, he’ll use it to buy beer or cigarettes. And I don’t care. Life’s pretty tough for the bum, if I can help him kill the pain for an hour or two, so be it.

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I am sure these prof’s parents made this type of contribution in the past, instead of spoiling their children.

churchill995 on December 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

profs’*

churchill995 on December 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

^^^ THIS.

There is no savings, there is no dividend, there is no tax cut.

The only thing that happened is that MOST of the rates stayed the same as they have been for the last 8-10 years. And the estate tax went UP, sharply.

You cannot spend or donate savings that don’t exist, if you live in the world of reality. To have SAVED something from this action, people would need to have LESS taken from them than year before, or the year before that, or the year before that.

That didn’t happen. The biggest failure in this whole exercise is letting the kleptocrats define this as a “tax cut” or “savings”.

It was never any such thing. It was just abandoning an idea from 8-10 years ago that said it would be smart to have rates go UP sharply right about now.

If this is savings, then I propose the following:

1. We pass a new income tax law, setting additional surcharges of one billion dollars per year on every college professor, to take effect January 1, 2012.

2. Late in December of 2011, we’ll pass a new law repealing those surcharges. Since the law said they were going to have to pay those surcharges, college professors have now “saved” a billion dollars per year.

3. Being that college professors are so civic-minded, they won’t mind if we expect them to donate, say, 10% of that savings to proper causes like paying down the national debt? Surely they can get by on the 900 million per year in savings that we just gave them! What are they, greedy?

VekTor on December 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Keep f%@king that chicken, Libs.

Machiavelli Hobbes on December 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, it’s great to feel good about ones’ self by tossing a bum a few bucks to “kill the pain.” A steady stream of big-hearted chumps is what lets him keep living irresponsibly. I’ll bet his kids would rather have dad quit begging, get a job and support them.

Cicero43 on December 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

MochaLite on December 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I teach at a local university, and I have my own business (just me, and occasionally my husband). I was asked by a tenured colleague to hire him (while keeping his professorship). I’m not in a position to do so, and I made it very clear to him that government interference meant I would not be hiring him, or anyone else–I wanted him to recognize that his liberal policies were what kept him from getting the job he wanted. Of course, as a lefty, it went right over his head.

DrMagnolias on December 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Defund all the colleges’ useless “Studies” departments then return the savings to taxpayers and reduce tuition accordingly. Require all professors to actually teach classes for an 8 hour workday instead of exploiting teacher assistants to do the actual work. Then Joe Taxpayer can decide to what charities to donate from his or her less-government-wasted usable income resulting.

viking01 on December 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Speaks the man whose salary is paid by an incredibly wealthy organization which pays no taxes whatsoever.

Realist on December 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM