Poll: Obamateurism of the Year, Semi-Final Flight 1

posted at 8:05 am on December 29, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The first round of polls has finished.  Now we come down to the final eleven choices split between two semi-final flights for the Obamateurism of the Year.  Today’s poll has the first five winners of the OOTY polls, and the top two votegetters will advance to the final poll.  Which will it be?  Captain Kickass, or the SCOTUS scold?  The arbiter of maximum income, the bumbling mathematician, or the diffident Commander in Chief?  It’s all up to you now:

Tomorrow comes the second semifinal flight, followed by the final poll that selects the Obamateurism of the Year!

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

I do think, at a certain point, that you’ve made enough government.

ted c on December 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve had enough votes.”

Gwillie on December 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM

The ‘you’ve made enough money’ shows the arrogance and the ignorance. It was another ‘tell’ just like talking about redistribution of wealth.

Kissmygrits on December 29, 2010 at 8:15 AM

This is getting really tough. I ended up going with “…you’ve made enough money.” I think that sentence sums up Obama’s philosophy and presidency.

Lizzy on December 29, 2010 at 8:15 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point the government has taken enough of my money to redistribute to slackers, union thugs, and illegal aliens.”

AZCoyote on December 29, 2010 at 8:18 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

Touch choices; but this one defines Liberalism best. We, the elites, can make as much as we desire, as we will simply tax you peasants until we reach the desired amount.. You peasants however will have a cap to what you can earn, because after all, you are just peasants living in our world as guests until our death panel decides you are no longer of any use to us.

Keemo on December 29, 2010 at 8:18 AM

These really are getting tougher and tougher. I was leaning towards the money quote, but I am secretly hoping to see the dufus in the Captain Kick @ss outfit one more time…

Fallon on December 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve spent made enough of other people’s money.”

VelvetElvis on December 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Scolding and not recognizing what was designed to be a co-equal branch of government tells me all I need to know.

Les in NC on December 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

Narcissism scores again. BHO knows better than everyone, and all the rest fit into that mold.

Yoop on December 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Les in NC on December 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

That was a crass and wrongheaded comment at the SOTU, but the silver lining is that it heightened the tension between article II and III branches–a tension that was placed there by the Founders. That tension works both ways and, while POTUS can throw sissy barbs at Alito et al. at the SOTU, he just may find hisself on the receiving end of a majority decision that kicks Obamacare right in the sissy pants.

word.

ted c on December 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I had to go with the money, it was a real insight into who he is and what he wants to do.

Cindy Munford on December 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I was tempted to go with “made enough money”. It establishes his socialist bona fides pretty well – again.

But I picked the Supreme Court remarks instead. It reminded me of Chavez’s “sulfur” comment at the UN. Obama does not like out system of checks and balances. He does not like the Constitution. He has no respect for any institution or individual who opposes him.

forest on December 29, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Yeah…the ‘enuf$’ has to be todays.

Limerick on December 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I do believe this is the very first sitting POTUS I have ever heard of who DENIGRATED what is supposed to be part of the American Dream.

Someone like the legendary John H. Johnson, founder of Jet Magazine, would have fallen off his chair if he had heard something like this coming from someone like Obama!

But then again, it was with this utterance that Obama showed everyone what he REALLY was….namely a Socialist!

pilamaye on December 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM

That poll reads like an American hating checklist.

Good job democrat voters!

Inanemergencydial on December 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Obama has never kicked anyone’s ass in his life. His foreign policy merely confirms it.

Tommy_G on December 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

As tempting as the “money” quote was, I can’t get this out of my head and I’m still giggling over “Captain Kick-Ass.”

pookysgirl on December 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

His inability to accept contrary opinion as demonstrated by Scolding the Supreme Court.

Slowburn on December 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Tommy_G on December 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

No doubt!! Did you see that wussy try to throw a baseball? The dude better be glad he didn’t grow up in Kenya for very long, as he most certainly wouldn’t be good a throwing a spear at potential food.

Keemo on December 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I went with 3. Obummer and libs hate it that we are the baddest ass superpower and their agenda is to take us down a notch. Hey barry: F. U.

tbear44 on December 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Oh man, that was tough. At first I had a vote for the SCOTUS STOU quote, but I changed it to the “you’ve made enough money” quote. Income redistribution has been the over riding theme of this regime, and I want the OotY to reflect that.

bitsy on December 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I picked the budget-because I have lived it. Top management does not know squat about budget (and the breakdown, such as safety, equipment, office stuff) unless they talk to a minion. Mouthing about it pretending he knew got ahead of him, then the minion revealed the accurate info.

ProudPalinFan on December 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

Shows clearly that he does not a) understand the constitution and b) could not be bothered to read the decision himself (however easy it was to obtain – many of us read it on line).

Obama off by $868 billion on CBO deficit savings projection of ObamaCare

Shows his lack of understanding of the subject he so vehemently pushes upon a nation that clearly does not want it.

“Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower”

Demonstrates his disdain for the greatest fighting force in human history – the very same military that he commands.

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

Speaks to his core belief in Marxism. ‘nuf said.

“We talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answers so I know whose ass to kick“

Demonstrates, contrary to the “cool” persona that was projected during the ’08 campaign, that he is a petty tyrant.

In the end, all of the above eclipse anything that Bush did or for that matter Clinton.

And to think that Dan Quayle was ridiculed into obscurity for misspelling tomato.

turfmann on December 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I think these are really examples of media failure. Obama’s journalist sycophants refuse to report these things.

JohnJ on December 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

turfmann on December 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Don’t forget that Clinton committed perjury and obstruction of justice, and he used the IRS to attack people he didn’t like.

JohnJ on December 29, 2010 at 8:54 AM

potato?

ProudPalinFan on December 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Obama scolding the SCOTUS, incorrectly, about the Citizen’s United decision reminded me of that article I read recently (in American Spectator?) about how some of Barry’s Harvard Law classmates developed an “Obamanism” scale that they’d use to rate the pretentiousness of his pontifications in class.

I wonder if any of his old classmates were watching the speech that night, laughing at the sight of their pompous former classmate lecturing the SCOTUS, and thinking: now you guys know how we felt!

AZCoyote on December 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Scolding the Supreme Court, holding them as a captive audience on live TV, while getting the case completely wrong. And this from a “professor” of constitutional law. FAIL.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

What Obama did at the SOTU was an embarrassment to the office, and a clear understanding of his intelligence*, but the quote above tells us all of his Marxist intentions, and the guts of his agenda to change this nation and the way it has prospered for over two hundred years. Note to Mr. Obama: In a free society and under free market principles, there are no limits to what man can achieve or maintain. Only a tyrannical government and their hand picked politicians can put limits on success through taxation and/or regulation.

* = or lack of

Rovin on December 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Tough choice between the SCOTUS scolding at the “made enough money” quote. Wound up going with the latter simply because it really shows that he’s a socialist as well as a hypocrite (since he loves hanging with those folks who’ve certainly made more than enough money when it suits him).

Y-not on December 29, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Money quote. Almost clicked SCOTUS scolding, but his Commie, pinko, Marxist head reared itself with that money quote. My number three was the superpower OOTD. Ugh. What a sicko.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I went with the money quote but could easily vote for several of them. This getting harder and harder.

Drained Brain on December 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”
/FBHO

Mr. Jefferson replies.

for I have sworn upon the altar of god,
eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
Letter from Thomas Jefferson –
To Dr. Benjamin Rush – Monticello, Sep. 23, 1800

ted c on December 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Jeez, too many good (or bad, I suppose) choices here.

Rollie on December 29, 2010 at 9:26 AM

If Obama gets reelected it really is over for America.

Mojave Mark on December 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM

So many choices, and only one idiot to attach them too. The attack on individual success and prosperity.

Hog Wild on December 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM

This is going to continue to get tougher, isn’t it?

I had to vote for the SCOTUS scolding… a constitutional scholar *shakes head in bewilderment*

toenail on December 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

All of them are bad, but publicly and wrongly scolding the Supreme Court is inexcusable.

Maybe he shares a kinship with Harry Reid–he’s never read any of their rulings, and if he’s lucky he won’t have to.

backwoods conservative on December 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM

This is going to continue to get tougher, isn’t it?

toenail on December 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I don’t think so. If I understand correctly we have two more polls coming, both of which should include the walking away and leaving Bill Clinton in charge.

backwoods conservative on December 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM

When are we going to end this drawn out farce and just give the award to President Clinton? Has there ever been a more obvious foregone conclusion around here?

And when I say end this farce I am just having fun for the more dense around here.

NotCoach on December 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Scolding another branch which represents its own sovereign powers in government. Stick to your own powers, Barry… you are incompetent enough in those to cover for your lack of competence in the rest of them.

ajacksonian on December 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM

JohnJ on December 29, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Would you concur with me that ten years hence we will be able to say all of that and more about former President Obama?

I get the distinct impression that the current Democrat stranglehold on all things federal is cloaking quite a bit of chicanery on the part of the Obama administration.

turfmann on December 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

‘At a certain point you’ve made enough money’ and ‘We’re still a military superpower whether we like it or not’ in the SAME poll?

That’s going to take some serious thought… talk about making it hard!

Urban Infidel on December 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Scolding the Supreme Court really does define this monstrosity. The American people need to get their heads out of their behinds and start becoming educated on what the Founding Fathers gave us to take care of.

Vince on December 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

“Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower”

This statment is why we have all the other Obamateurism’s. It confirms his goal of his presidency to tear apart this country.

Danny B on December 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Ed there is no way to pick just one of those…..I am going to have to go with:

Scolding the Supreme Court over: ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU.

The Constitutional Scholar has a problem with the 3 Branches of Government – the old separation of powers, and checks and balances.

Given that we have 3 different branches of our Government – Executive, Legislative and Judicial. I find it amusing that he thought he could scold the Supremes. They will be there long after he’s history. Hopefully the Scholar’s leaving starts in 2012.

This really was a difficult choice. I had to use the most egregious position he took from his position as President of the United States to narrow down the choices.

Obama thinks giving Michael Vick a second chances was a good thing. Obama sides with the social predator – telling huh. The Obama’s dog really is just a prop. I don’t know who advises Obama but they are really doing a poor job of it. You wouldn’t hear Billy Jeff bringing up someone who is widely despised by huge swaths of the American Public. Obama thinks this endears him to Black folks? So the Black vote is shaky too?

Dr Evil on December 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM

That was hard. Really Hard. I went with “Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower”. The supreme court and enough money bits were close contenders. So the President somehow thinks there is something not to be liked about being a military super power.

antisocial on December 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Tough choices, once again.

For me, it came down to a tossup between the first two.

Ultimately, the jab at SCOTUS (#1) won out. Nearly every politician in history has flubbed numbers or flat-out lied about the cost of their programs, but the SCOTUS remark was hostile, juvenile, and beyond classless.

UltimateBob on December 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

potato?

ProudPalinFan on December 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Potatoe

I avoid the issue by using “taters” in all cases.

BobMbx on December 29, 2010 at 10:53 AM

BobMbx on December 29, 2010 at 10:53 AM

You say “taters” I say “tahters”.

NotCoach on December 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM

And this from a “professor” of constitutional law. FAIL.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I’m interested in learning which constitution he was teaching. Certainly wasn’t the US Constitution.

BobMbx on December 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

I really wanted an all of the above selection. But to think that he (government) can be the arbiter of what we the people are entitled to make/keep is the height of arrogance.

NoFanofLibs on December 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

BobMbx on December 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

The constitution he dreams of, not the constitution that is.

NoFanofLibs on December 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

The constitution he dreams of, not the constitution that is.

NoFanofLibs on December 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Our constitution has way too many “negative” rights and not enough “positive” rights. Is it any wonder he started smoking crack when confronted with such a negative downer constitution?

NotCoach on December 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Between 3 and 4, those two define The Won’s core, 3) demonstrates his hatred of America, and 4) Demonstrates his core Marxist values.

AZfederalist on December 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Thes have been hard and getting harder. They all are worthy but, “I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.” reveals so much about his core beliefs; how far over to the dark side he is…scary.

cartooner on December 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM

“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve had enough votes.”

Wealth for me, but not for thee.
Signed,
I Won

GrannyDee on December 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I think the Obabateurism of the Year should be that there are so many worthwhile choices each day! Wow! That’s a lot of screwups!!!!

I’m not, by a mile, the first to say this, but: If Obama had been a horse of a different. . . ummmm . . . party, the press would be crucifying him.

Pablo Snooze on December 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I do think at a certain point that you’ve used enough oxygen…

There comes a certain point when a guy should just STFU, already!

hachiban on December 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

SCOTUS. Childish at best.

RedNewEnglander on December 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Hard to choose! So many asinine statements.

American Elephant on December 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM

had to go with the last option…nice mouth

cmsinaz on December 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I can not believe how close the two top are. I wanted to vote for both the sotu and you make enough money, but the sotu got my vote.
L

letget on December 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

As bad a case of amateurism as the SCOTUS-scold is, it’s merely a gaffe. The clear rendition of socialist values from the Oval Office, because it isn’t a mistake, rather a definition of ideology, MUST trump the more mundane error.

Freelancer on December 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM

We may have a Florida 2000 recount on our hands.

Ted Torgerson on December 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

It won’t win, but the $868 billion difference. Just shows how math-challenged our president is.

waelse1 on December 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM