New Hampshire 2012: The graveyard of RINOs?

posted at 8:43 pm on December 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Speculative fun from the Boston Phoenix. All along I’ve been assuming that Iowa would be the de facto social con primary (or rather, caucus) and New Hampshire the de facto centrist primary, with the winners to meet down the road in South Carolina, Nevada, and Florida. But what if New Hampshire’s now a lot redder than we think? What if the Iowa winner rolls into Concord a week or two later with tea partiers ready to rock and blows the centrist frontrunner out of the water? That would all but decide the nomination; it’s hard to imagine any candidate winning the big two early and then fumbling on the way to the end zone.

Is this where Mitt says goodbye?

New Hampshire has just gone through one of the most remarkable political upheavals of its history, completely reshaping the landscape there.

The result, according to political observers in the state, is a power vacuum in the state’s Republican circles, right on the eve of the presidential nomination battle. Or, from the perspective of a Republican presidential wannabe, a slew of total unknowns whose opinion could make or break you…

New Hampshire Tea Partiers, in the afterglow of their 2010 success, are already looking for a conservative, populist candidate, says Andrew Hemingway, chair of the Republican Liberty Caucus, which endorsed more than 100 of the new Republican House members. “There’s already been a shift in attention toward the presidential contest” among those activists, Hemingway says.

The state’s establishment Republicans, on the other hand, will be looking for a more mainstream, electable candidate — one they hope will benefit from the large number of independents expected to vote in the Republican primary, with Obama’s re-nomination a foregone conclusion…

Of course, Pindell, Arlinghaus, and others acknowledge another possibility: that this cycle will reveal that none of New Hampshire’s Republican influencers matter at all. The truth could be that New Hampshire’s Republicans get their news and opinions from distant sources — primarily Fox News, talk radio, and national Web sites like NewsMax and RedState.

In other words, it’s Delaware all over again. Romney, shrewdly, is already trying to woo at least one of the state’s new tea party powerbrokers ahead of 2012. Dave Weigel noted today that he dropped a $5,000 contribution on grassroots fave Ovide Lamontagne three weeks after Lamontagne lost the Senate primary to Kelly Ayotte. Lamontagne was backed by DeMint; Ayotte, of course, was supported by Palin. (Lamontagne himself backed Romney for president in 2007, so there was an element of backscratching to that contribution too.) Obviously, Mitt’s trying to prevent an “establishment vs. grassroots” Castle/O’Donnell dynamic from developing in the state; if that happens and this becomes a test of enthusiasm between centrists and “true conservative” backers of the Iowa winner, he’s in big trouble. In fact, he’s in big trouble regardless since other centrist types like Daniels and Pawlenty will be looking at New Hampshire as do or die for them and will campaign hard there, potentially drawing off key votes from Romney. With the centrists split, a strong “true conservative” candidate like Palin or Pence would stand a fair chance of pulling the upset with the base unified behind them. Exit question: After all the time we’ve spent gaming out the primaries and all the time we’re yet to spend gaming them out even more obsessively, is this race actually going to be over early?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM

My son helps training hunting dogs. I’d rather he didn’t but he lives with his dad…and he’s almost 17- I’m not out to control his life.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:44 AM

SILENCE!
*glare*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Is the nimrod in the house?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I understand that, but look how long it took you to explain that.

Try to squeeze that explanation to convince the public for the general election to less than 30 seconds without losing their attention. That is tough.

We have a product to sell and that makes the job of selling her difficult.

El_Terrible on December 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Well, in that case, we’ll just have to keep repeating the point until it starts to sink in. :D

Aitch748 on December 30, 2010 at 1:47 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:45 AM

SARAH PALIN IS GREAT! EVERYONE ELSE IS HORRIBLE AND YOU ARE AN IDIOT TROLL!///..:)..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Is the nimrod in the house?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Which one?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Is the nimrod in the house?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Was earlier..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Wrong!
I’m annoyinglittletwerp the all-American psycho girl next door.
Geez, I hafta tell ya everything.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Was reading the nimrod diaries this evening from a Christine O’Donnell thread from September. Seems the nimrod has not changed his ways.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM

That was the name of my blog.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM

He was being almost nice to me yesterday.
It was very peculiar.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Hard to change sometimes..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Silence!!!!

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I have a feeling the lillypad may visit us in the middle of the night to scold us all.

Oh the humanity!

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

And then he shows up late night and goes to just blasting folks..It was bizzare!..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I KNEW that was coming. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

He’s been sorta heeding my adjective admonishments…Not towards KP, however…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Where?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM

After last week’s tirades she’s been oddly quiet.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Romney post from last night!..It is still up on main page..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I’m a sweet little moppet so I can’t understand how anyone could be mean to me.
Now if you’ll excuse me- I need to adjust my horns halo.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM

After last week’s tirades she’s been oddly quiet.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Sobering up.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM

This is just for you ‘Hawgs.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Sobering up.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM

*snort*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Nuff of this.

Good luck to all wannabees!

My family will support Sarah Palin/J. DeMint for everything she’s done for this country in the last 2 years.

My family’s brand of conservatism will win or lose with her in 2012.

The rest are superficial.

Nuff said.

TheAlamos on December 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM

TheAlamos on December 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Sice the majority of us in the loyal opposition have said ta we will also support Gov. Palin if she’s the nominee I don’t see what the problem is.

Jindal/ Pence 2012.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM

alt,

That’s me, just a jinglin’…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM

alt,

A policy wonk and a talk radio guy?

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Last nite’s Romney thread had over 1000 posts. Tonite’s has over 300….In both threads, ole Mitt posts added up to about 5%…Such charisma…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM

lol!..That was hilarious!..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Nowadays EVERY thread becomes a Palin thread.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Isn’t it amazing how that happens..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Romney threads don’t morph into Palin threads…They morph into Palin threads, Achmed threads, song threads, hunting threads, fishing threads, deer in the neighborhood threads, Mel Brooks threads, Laurel & Hardy threads…ANYTHING that’s more interesting than the Republican version of John Kerry threads…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 2:48 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:28

If more people would talk about what their candidate of choice CAN do instead of what Palin can’t then maybe some other candidates would get mentioned.

The Palin cult can’t be blamed for all of the Palin references in each thread. The “loyal opposition” to Palin as you call it makes it share of Palin references as well.

I give you credit for promoting Jindal and Pence. I like them both also, but I prefer Palin at this time if she runs.

Also, just caught your mention of the Christian comic Tim Hawkins. That guy is funny.

chief on December 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM

chief on December 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM
I try to be reasonable and I certainly don’t hate Gov. Palin-I just prefer others more.
Liking Gov. Plin doesn’t not a cultist make-my husband is a big fan-but there are a few commenters here-they know who they are weather they’ll admit it or not-who attack like rabid dogs if someone says anything less than 100% in favor of SP. Sorry for the run-on but you get my point.

Oldyeller’s comment about failing also was in cultist territory.

I’m glad you liked Hawkins.
Thanks-Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Palin has NO negatives stemming from her record or her understanding of the issues or her personal life or her competence. ALL of her negatives are the result of how other people “feel” about her.

Aitch748 on December 30, 2010 at 1:06 AM

You live in a fairy land.

AshleyTKing on December 30, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM
ROFL….Do you still think Palin turns KS blue?
unseen on December 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Probably, yes.

She’s unelectable. Period. She wouldn’t take more than 9 states.

People don’t like her, they don’t think she’s qualified (for legitimate reason), and hardcore partisans don’t win presidential elections.

I find it baffling that any person of above average political awareness thinks she has a remote chance of beating an incumbent. Then again, I am taking to mostly obsessive cultists to whom logic, facts and reason don’t apply…

It’s not a question of whether it would be a replay of Kerry vs Bush. The slaughter would be on par with Reagan vs Carter, except the parties reversed. When I say she’d win no more than nine states, I’m being generous.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Nowadays EVERY thread becomes a Palin thread.
annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Which is an example of why the best thing she could do for the conservative movement is announce that she’s not running.

We need to start taking a look at the serious contenters, not endlessly debating the merits of an unelectable, pie-in-the-sky fringe candidate with no chance of becoming President.

She’s like Ron Paul in 2007. A no-shot candidate that does little but serve as a distraction thanks to a small group of devotees.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:49 AM

I think there is a great danger in taking your base for granted. I, for one, am no longer willing to compromise with ‘evil’, even if it is a lesser one. I don’t think I’m alone. We’ve been doing that for so long, we can now see that it doesn’t work. So why sell our souls for a lousy bargain?

pannw on December 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

So you’re more comfortable with another 4 years of Obama than with an electable Republican who may not be a 100% perfect conservative?

Is that what you’re saying? That we allow perfect to be the enemy of good? That you don’t terribly mind if Obama wins again?

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM

The last time the Republican Party nominated a hard right conservative he won two landslide victories. Then when RINOs won small victories they then insisted that to win the party had to move to the left. I see a logical fallacy here.

Sarah Palin, or another right wing conservative only.

As governor of Alaska I, and my family were being personally bankrupted, and the state was being forced to spend millions of dollars to deal with politically motivated bogus ethic complaints, that were being illegally “leaked” to the press. For the good of my family, and my state I resigned from the office of Governor.

The people of Alaska were so annoyed by this that the government of Alaska has since changed the law, making it impossible for the same situation to occur again. -Sarah Palin maybe.

Slowburn on December 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM

After I clicked, I realized Sarah Palin would have probably said it better.

Slowburn on December 30, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Sarah Palin, or another right wing conservative only.
Slowburn on December 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM

If Reagan (the most conservative President in modern history) were in the running today, he would be branded (particularly by the Palinista cultists) as a RINO:

Increased taxes.
Increased spending.
Used to be pro-choice.
Supports amnesty.
Governor of a blue state.

Also, there is absolutely no way to spin her resignation in response to ethics charges (regardless of her reasons or the validity of the complaints) as anything but a huge negative. It completely takes her record as governor out of play.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Getting back to Romney- I was was very skeptical of him in 2007. I remain so- way too much pandering, and far too focus-grouped. Back then I was in Teh Fred camp, though I myself hid my disappointment with his campaign.

I understand where the Palinistas are coming from. I do. However, after witnessing the damage an Obama can do, I’ve grown up a bit. Electability matters.

I don’t have a first choice yet; it’s certainly not the chamelion that is Mitt. This year, the most conservative candidate who can beat Obama will be my choice.

This is far more important than a choice between a Miller or Murkowski. The future of the United States of America is at stake, and that’s of far greater import than personal loyalty to any particular public figure.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Bullcookies. But you need to remove her record as Governor, because her record, makes your opinions sound even less informed.

Slowburn on December 30, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Nuff of this.

Good luck to all wannabees!

My family’s brand of conservatism will win or lose with her in 2012.

The rest are superficial.

Nuff said.

TheAlamos on December 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM

…and lose with her you will.

While Barry O is appointing another Supreme Court Justice2013 , at least you can say you saw Sarahcuda run for President!!!

rickyricardo on December 30, 2010 at 4:29 AM

If it’s Romney – I’m staying home and waiting for the third party to emerge. Palin has three big strikes against her to be a leader in modern morally corrupt America; she a (shhh) woman, she’s honest, she’s moral.

On her side: the media, the libs, the RINO’s hate and fear her. She’s truely a complete conservative – not just social -not just fiscal, but both.

She might be running against Hillary (wait till gas hits $5 and Mom gets death panelled out -Obama will move over)

Don L on December 30, 2010 at 6:30 AM

I believe [Palin has] done more for the Republican Party than anyone since Ronald Reagan.

Senator Jim DeMint

Senator Jim DeMint Says that Governor Palin Has “Done More for the Republican Party than Anyone Since Ronald Reagan

Link

Link

Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 6:40 AM

New Hampshire is fired up. The socialists started to destroy the state and got the boot. The people are looking for a real conservative. Now they have the means to get past the campaign marketing hype and are engaged.

The establishment GOP needs to wake up to the new reality or find themselves out on the street with the socialists.

We do not want socialism light.

dogsoldier on December 30, 2010 at 6:56 AM

One of the reasons Ayotte won–and why Palin backed her–is that she is decidedly pro-Life.
This is all about the Tea Party and traditional conservatives
and neither Mitt, Newt nor Huck are conservatives.
Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The Tea Party is about fiscal conservatism. If you hijack it and redefine it make it about social issues you will lose independents.

Frankly, I don’t care if it’s Mitt or Barbour or Daniels or Guiliani or Gingrich or Pence or DeMint or Herman Cain. But if it’s Palin she will lose (the negatives are simply too strong to overcome) and…here’s my dire prediction… it will be the end of the Tea Party. Which would be a crying shame.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Romney would have a far better chance of beating Obama than Palin; if I were to bet I’d say it’s around 40% as things stand today. I’m pretty freaking far from being in the Romney camp though, as those who were around in 2007 could attest to.
Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

He speaks the truth.

Sorry – late, late, late to this thread.

She’s an unknown as a public, political figure.
She’s only known right now for her portrayal in the MSM as a figure of fun for the Left.Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Winner!/I didn’t think it was possible, but this beats yesterday’s Most Asinine Comment of the Year from the ever-dependable jenfidel. Yesterday her claim was that the Founding Fathers didn’t know about “cost management”.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

While I agree with this, the tea party alone can’t win elections. You also need social conservatives.

This is the battle we have every election. Fiscal conservatives always tell social conservatives to abandon their principals b/c allegedly social conservatives can’t win.

I have yet to see a social conservative ask a fiscal conservative to give up fiscal conservatism in favor of winnnig (although supporters of Huck come close to this).

A point I always make – politicians who are allgedly fiscally conservative but socially liberal almost always move left fiscally once in office. Anyone who runs on that platform is really a “pragmatist” more interested in making deals then in an principals (and, before the lecturing begins, I realize you have to be willing to make compromises to govern). Socially conservative politicians (or judges for that matter) rarely “grow” in office to move to the left.

So, while I am not a huge social con, I do use social conservatism as a barometer for who I support. If a politician claims to be fiscally conservative while being socially liberal, I don’t trust them to remain true to any conservative ideas, whether social or fiscal. They end up being McCain, or Schwartzenneger, or a thousand other politicians who end up selling fiscal conservatism out as well in order to make the media and elites like them.

Monkeytoe on December 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

If she Ron Paul then she loses in the primary then, Ron Paul never won a primary, so quit all your whining like little babies.

djohn669 on December 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM

But the most interesting comment appeared to be a back-handed compliment. When asked about Obama’s biggest misconception, Haggard, 73, said, “He’s not conceited. He’s very humble about being the president of the United States, especially in comparison to some presidents we’ve had who come across like they don’t need anybody’s help. I think he knows he’s in over his head. Anybody with any sense who takes that job and thinks they can handle it must be an idiot.

J_Crater on December 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

djohn669 on December 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM

What?? Do not understand your illiterate comment.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 10:03 AM

This is an exaggeration. Up until a few years ago NH was always red. We went through a brief period (about 6 years)of blue but came to our senses. The Tea Party may have had a lot to do with this but not the ecstatic crowing I read in this article. NH is a state of independent voters largely. I think the State voted it’s pocket book, pure and simple. That’s the main issue here and when our state deficit grew(under our Dem governor), school funding got (and still is)out of control and Concord started telling us what to do, the love affair ended. Given this set of deterrents, it would have ended anyway.

jeanie on December 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I’ve been saying this all along … got laughed at for saying that Maine is a RED STATE now – which it is, it has a GOP state leg and a freakin’ Tea Party Governor. How’s that?

Only logical this would happen all over New England.

HondaV65 on December 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Monkeytoe on December 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Absolutely! Social Liberals are merely RINOs trying to disguise themselves as conservatives.

That said I really believe most Social issues are reserved to the States and the Federal Govt over reaches when ANY branch presumes to tell the states how they should address those issues.

Competiton is our friend, competition among states is our friend, the social issues belong to the states to decide and the people to choose to live there or not. As they obviously do with taxes, weather, and industry!

dhunter on December 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

hardcore partisans don’t win presidential elections.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM

This one did.

Greek Fire on December 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

You anti-Palin, anti-Romney, anti-whoever folks kill me. We all have our favorites of course and ultimately, providence through the will of right thinking people will produce a candidate. But once chosen, You will be doing the right thing and pulling the lever against Obama….right?? Even if that means pulling it for Palin or Romney or Huck or whoever….right?

Obviously we want the most conservative candidate we can get but we won’t be staying home if the he or she isn’t our ideal….will we??

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

hardcore partisans don’t win presidential elections.

Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM
This one did.

Greek Fire on December 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

So did this one, twice.

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I didn’t say they didn’t know about thrift; I said that it wasn’t incorporated into the Constitution as a goal of government.
You’re being deliberately obtuse.
P.S. Mitt sucks.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

P.S. Mitt sucks.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Maybe, but if he’s the candidate, you will vote for him against Obama…right?

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 10:03 AM

oops meant that for hollowpoint, who was calling her Ron Paul.sorry my bad

djohn669 on December 30, 2010 at 10:55 AM

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I won’t stay home, but some people will. That’s reality.

So…among the people who are actually running (Jindal isn’t, Pence is a maybe)….what non-Palin candidate can win, and why?

Let’s have a conversation about the real field, not the wishful thinking field.

Missy on December 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Maybe, but if he’s the candidate, you will vote for him against Obama…right?

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Like I did with McCain, whom I loathe.
I voted for Palin, BTW.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

starman on December 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Right now, the only name being tossed around that I would really have serious trouble pulling the lever for in the general is Huck. I honestly believe he would simply follow almost all of the same policies as Obama and I would rather a dem be blamed for those failed policies than a republican. But, even if I did not vote for Huck, I would not vote for Obama, and I would still vote all the down-ticket races.

Almost everyone else being named, while many are seriously flawed, would be an improvement over Obama.

But, the reality is that people who care enough to come and comment on these boards are not really going to stay home. We all threaten it at times in an effort to convince others not to support this or that candidate. I can’t imagine that anyone who posts here ever really stays home on election day. Some (very few) people may refuse to vote for a particular office, but they still vote.

Monkeytoe on December 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Huckabee called Libertarians UnAmerican in his new book.

It’s his way or the highway.

Spathi on December 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

You’re being deliberately obtuse.
Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Really? I quoted you directly, and never used the word “thrift”. Give it up, Jenfidel. You are a certifiable joke:

None of the Founders had ever heard of “cost management.”
Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

P.S. Here’s a brilliant (not) comment from you that I missed yesterday:

Mitt’s backed by major Mormon money.
He was also for the Provo Olympics
Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Did you learn about the non-existent “Provo Olympics” at that MBA program you claim to have attended?

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

When is Huckabee going to bash CPAC with the Family Research Council?

Spathi on December 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

RINO Romney will have to get past Palin to be the candidate. He hasn’t got the balls.

SurferDoc on December 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Huckabee called Libertarians UnAmerican in his new book.

It’s his way or the highway.

Spathi on December 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

And the highway’s where he will be going, all the way back to Redneckistan.

Dark-Star on December 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

He speaks the truth.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM
ROFL….Do you still think Palin turns KS blue?
unseen on December 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Probably, yes.
She’s unelectable. Period. She wouldn’t take more than 9 states.
When I say she’d win no more than nine states, I’m being generous.
Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM

so much for an unbiased prognostication

Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I am a long time Romney supporter. However, while I really,really,really like Romney, I do not think he can win. I don’t think that Mitt is intellectually curious. If Romney were to study up on Conservative principles, and speak out about policy issues I think he could be ready in 2016.

At this point, Romney is unelectable.

portlandon on December 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I posted this yesterday, but no one responded.
If Romney gets the primary, I will surely vote for him, because one of the most important decisions he will make is the Supreme Court appointment, and we can’t let “o” appoint another one or it will screw up our country for years.
I posted this yesterday, but no one responded.

the “Mormon crony” canard?

It isn’t a canard.
It’s true.
Mitt’s backed by major Mormon money.
He was also for the Provo Olympics.

Hate to intrude, but I’m curious, since I worked on the Olympics, where were the Provo Olympics?
Also curious about all the “Mormon” money? Are you saying the “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints” gave money to Romney? Or are you saying that the “Mormons” are so wealthy that they all contributed? Which?
By the way, the “Salt Lake Olympics” was one of the only Olympics that didn’t leave the city/state in a financial mess! And that was directly attributed to Romney’s leadership. I believe that his pay was $1.00 a year. Believe me it was a mess before he was brought in to straighten it out.
One more question from someone who doesn’t have an mba, but my husband does, plus a law degree (does that count?) don’t we want someone who will get rid of the fat in government, even if he has to fire, fire, fire the bloated government emplyees?

Bambi on December 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Oh so now the Hatefilled Left isn’t just trying Alinsky tactics on the conservative candidate but on the candidates supporters too! What a joke… the HA troll bunch isn’t good enough to pull that off especially since conservatives aren’t dumb and clueless like liberals. Go ahead, knock yourselves out trying if you must(get paid).

CCRWM on December 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

portlandon on December 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I laugh my arse off everytime you do this. Its perfect feigned concern troll speak.

Also Flit Flopney needs to stop speaking in platitudes, but I do support him.

Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM

so much for an unbiased prognostication
Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Huh?

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

He speaks the truth.
Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

In other words, he is telling the truth when he says he was very far from being in Romney’s camp in 2007.

What’s your point?

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM

You chopped off this part

Romney would have a far better chance of beating Obama than Palin;

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Its the same poster who said this

Hollowpoint on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM
ROFL….Do you still think Palin turns KS blue?
unseen on December 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Probably, yes.
She’s unelectable. Period. She wouldn’t take more than 9 states.
When I say she’d win no more than nine states, I’m being generous.
Hollowpoint on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Do you think Palin would win only 9 states? And that is a GENEROUS estimate. And HollowPoint says Palin would turn KS blue?

I think that is an unreasonably biased OPINION.

The TRUTH is only evaluated AFTER the fact. Not before. How can what he says be TRUE? How can you say it is TRUE?

Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Provo, whatever Utah–MormonLand.
(It’s like St. Lake City, but with mountains!)
Provo’s where Donny and Marie make those Mormon records.
My bad.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

No one in any business school will ever be able to study the 2002 Mormon Olympics because that’s the way the LDS likes to conduct business–secretly and amongst themselves.
Same goes for Bain Capital.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Provo, whatever Utah–MormonLand.
(It’s like St. Lake City, but with mountains!)
Provo’s where Donny and Marie make those Mormon records.
My bad.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Jenfidel=Bigot. Who knew!!!

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Jenfidel=Bigot. Who knew!!!

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Is it bigotry to dislike Mormons because they’re a heretical sect that isn’t Christian and whose members have been known to take the Oath of Vengeance against America and believe in the White Horse Prophecy?

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I just saw this this morning – sorry to have missed it yesterday.

Same goes for Bain Capital.
Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Really? That must be why Mitt Romney wrote a book about the Olympics which anyone can purchase – to keep it a secret to be shared among the Mormon cabal. All this info is available at Wiki (to name one source). One more time: Please provide YOUR source for this insanity.

P.S. I don’t believe in the ban hammer, but if I did, you’d be on the top of my list.

P.P.S. Do you really think that Sarah Palin wants to be associated with your bizarre commentary? I rather doubt it.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

There’s nothing bizarre about my commentary.
Refute what I said about the Mormons, if you can.

And Mitt’s never told the truth about anything.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Jen… Don’t leave out the Mormon Church’s response to the Salamander Letters. Kind of betrayed that they thought their own “religion” was a sham.

CCRWM on December 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Refute what I said about the Mormons, if you can.
Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Maybe if I Google “Oath of Vengeance against America” I’ll find out what your source is, since so far you have failed to reveal it, despite several requests from me to you yesterday. Put up or shut up, Jenfidel. What is/are your sources? Direct us to a web page or something.

You know, it’s funny, but I was going to say earlier that while I only know a few Mormons, the ones I do know are staunch conservatives and unfailingly Patriotic. Who knew that this is just a ruse (and they lie about everything)!

P.S. I take it back about the ban hammer. Jenfidel should be banned.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

In December 2006, who could have foreseen Huckabee winning Iowa and McCain winning New Hampshire? Wasn’t everybody talking about Rudy Giuliani back then?

The early 2012 primaries will be held against the backdrop of what did the new Congress (GOP House and Dem Senate) do in 2011, and how did President Obama react to them, and how did both react to current events (now in the future).

In 2010, New Hampshire replaced two Democrat House members by Republicans, and retiring GOP Senator Judd Gregg by Kelly Ayotte, who was backed by Sarah Palin. No one knows NOW what New Hampshire’s three new members of Congress will do, but voters WILL know by primary-time, and all GOP Presidential candidates will need to fine-tune their messages relative to the issues at the time, and would probably NOT want to contradict sitting members of Congress from the same party.

Romney probably hurt himself in New Hampshire by signing a health-care bill while governor of neighboring Massachusetts, while ObamaCare has since become toxic for all Republicans and conservative-leaning independents. Romney, Palin, and Huckabee, despite their name recognition, are all has-been FORMER Governors and losing candidates, and the eventual Republican nominee is probably a CURRENT Governor who hasn’t declared his candidacy yet, such as Rick Perry(TX), Haley Barbour (MS), Mitch Daniels(IN), Chris Christie(NJ), or Bobby Jindal(LA).

The primary in New Hampshire will probably be less important in 2012. As Ed pointed out, Kelly Ayotte (endorsed by Sarah Palin) won the Senate primary over Ovide Lamontagne (endorsed by Jim DeMint), but DeMint will wield lots of influence in his home state of South Carolina, where Palin-backed Nikki Haley is now Governor. Romney could be strong in Nevada due to his Mormon roots, while Palin-backed Sharron Angle lost a winnable Senate race.

IMHO, the crucial state in the 2012 primaries will be FLORIDA. In 2008, McCain won Florida on the strength of the endorsement of then-Republican and now-disgraced Governor Charlie Crist, but Florida took a hard right turn in 2010, overwhelmingly electing Marco Rubio to the Senate. With its heavy population of retirees very angry with Obama’s cutting Medicare funding to “pay for” ObamaCare, Romney would be toast in Florida.

With 29 Electoral Votes in the 2012 election, Florida will be THE biggest swing-state, and Florida Republicans will probably select the candidate most likely to beat Obama there, with Rubio and possibly Jeb Bush as kingmakers.

Steve Z on December 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

That ought to do it.
And don’t forget to Google “White Horse Prophecy”, too.
But if you’re LDS member, you probably already know what I’m talking about. :-)

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

There are good and not great points about all the possible candidates (I am currently searching for the positive on Huckabee), please don’t close the door just yet. It’s early.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I am a long time Huckabee supporter. However, while I really,really,really like Huckabee, I do not think he can win. I don’t think that Mike is intellectually curious. If Huckabee were to study up on Conservative principles, and speak out about policy issues I think he could be ready in 2016.

At this point, Huckabee is unelectable.

portlandon on December 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

At this point, Romney is unelectable.

portlandon on December 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Will the real portlandon please stand up?

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Will the real portlandon please stand up?

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM

He’s mocking the Palin concern trolls by simply changing the name Palin to that of Huck and Mitt.
Pretty funny, really!

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

But if you’re LDS member, you probably already know what I’m talking about. :-)
Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Don’t pull any smiley-face crap with me, Jenfidel (and I say that as someone who hates to use the word, “crap”, but this is a special occasion).

I’m an Episcopalian (or lapsed-Episcopalian to be more precise). You know, a lot of readers here are avid Glenn Beck fans. He’s a Mormon. Are you prepared to slime him too? Like this guy? Oooga Booga! The CIA likes to recruit Mormons. Beck is a Mormon. Beck could be a CIA plant (and that’s why he attacks Ron Paul!)

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Don’t let the bigot get to you. She’s a joke and everyone here knows it.

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Jenfidel will slime anyone and twist facts to suit her narrative. And as far as that “White Horse Prophecy” goes, it’s never been proven that Joseph Smith even said it/proclaimed it.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Yes, there are a lot of Mormons in the CIA.
Researching why is also interesting.
Glenn and Mitt both know about the White Horse Prophecy and the Oath of Vengeance.
In fact, Glenn has talked (really screamed) about the incident at the root of the Oath of Vengeance on his radio show which leads me to believe that even though the LDS Church claims they haven’t required the Oath since the ’20′s, that true believers still hold it to be in force.

Don’t know about Beck railing against Ron Paul, but they have lots in common and I think Beck has supported Paul and his economist Schiff, also.
Like everything else, Beck has been for it and against it over the course of his career.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Ah, so you do know what it is!
And whether Smith said it or not (and I’ve seen no evidence that Smith didn’t say it) it hasn’t stopped the LDS Faithful from believing it.

Check out the conversation between Glenn Beck and Sen. Orrin Hatch on Beck’s radio show for their use of the appropriate language relative to the White Horse Prophecy.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Don’t let the bigot get to you. She’s a joke and everyone here knows it.

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The White Horse Prophecy isn’t a joke: Mormons believe that when “the Constitution is hanging by a thread,” they, as a church, will ride to the rescue of the United States and then set up a theocracy with themselves at the head of the government.
Americans needs to know about this if Mitt runs.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

*rolls eyes*

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Applying one’s own personal religious convictions to their political agenda is nothing new, nor should that alone raise cause for concern. But when you examine the LDS Church’s long history and cozy relationship with the Central Intelligence Agency, certain questions arise that make one suspect that there could be something a bit more nefarious going on in the Glenn Beck camp. Shane Lester confronted the issue of the Mormons and the CIA in his book “The Conversion Conspiracy”. In it, Lester writes…

“A CIA recruiter told the Salt Lake Tribune that returned missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who served in South America are valued assets in the CIA because of several characteristics: Foreign language skills, abstinence from drugs and alcohol, and their ability to integrate with the local customs and a respect for authority.”

Gosh, isn’t this just awful! The missionaries from The LDS Church have lived for 2 years with people in different countries, they know the language, they don’t drink, smoke or do drugs, and they are honest and they love the people they serve in these different countries. Gosh why would the CIA want to recruit them? Instead of the druggies and pot smokers, etc., in the real world.
OK, I have never heard of this “vengeance oath” nor has anyone I know. The Mormons are the most conservative, America loving people you will ever encounter.
The Constitution hanging by a thread? Is that so far fetched? I kind of think that is going on right now.
From the article referred above, he aludes to Mormons always infuencing Glenn. Well, it seems like they didn’t do a very good job. It was (as quoted) 20 years before he met the woman he wanted to marry, and then his “wonderful” friend Pat suggested he owed him to go to his church. It really turned his life around. Good for Glenn! I hope he lives long and prospers.
And jinfidel (or whatever) you are a bigot in the first order. Why don’t you read primary sources, and not the rabble that spends their entire life trying to tear down The LDS Church.
By the way, there are a lot of Mormons out there. Is it so unusual that he might come in contact with some?

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM