New Hampshire 2012: The graveyard of RINOs?

posted at 8:43 pm on December 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Speculative fun from the Boston Phoenix. All along I’ve been assuming that Iowa would be the de facto social con primary (or rather, caucus) and New Hampshire the de facto centrist primary, with the winners to meet down the road in South Carolina, Nevada, and Florida. But what if New Hampshire’s now a lot redder than we think? What if the Iowa winner rolls into Concord a week or two later with tea partiers ready to rock and blows the centrist frontrunner out of the water? That would all but decide the nomination; it’s hard to imagine any candidate winning the big two early and then fumbling on the way to the end zone.

Is this where Mitt says goodbye?

New Hampshire has just gone through one of the most remarkable political upheavals of its history, completely reshaping the landscape there.

The result, according to political observers in the state, is a power vacuum in the state’s Republican circles, right on the eve of the presidential nomination battle. Or, from the perspective of a Republican presidential wannabe, a slew of total unknowns whose opinion could make or break you…

New Hampshire Tea Partiers, in the afterglow of their 2010 success, are already looking for a conservative, populist candidate, says Andrew Hemingway, chair of the Republican Liberty Caucus, which endorsed more than 100 of the new Republican House members. “There’s already been a shift in attention toward the presidential contest” among those activists, Hemingway says.

The state’s establishment Republicans, on the other hand, will be looking for a more mainstream, electable candidate — one they hope will benefit from the large number of independents expected to vote in the Republican primary, with Obama’s re-nomination a foregone conclusion…

Of course, Pindell, Arlinghaus, and others acknowledge another possibility: that this cycle will reveal that none of New Hampshire’s Republican influencers matter at all. The truth could be that New Hampshire’s Republicans get their news and opinions from distant sources — primarily Fox News, talk radio, and national Web sites like NewsMax and RedState.

In other words, it’s Delaware all over again. Romney, shrewdly, is already trying to woo at least one of the state’s new tea party powerbrokers ahead of 2012. Dave Weigel noted today that he dropped a $5,000 contribution on grassroots fave Ovide Lamontagne three weeks after Lamontagne lost the Senate primary to Kelly Ayotte. Lamontagne was backed by DeMint; Ayotte, of course, was supported by Palin. (Lamontagne himself backed Romney for president in 2007, so there was an element of backscratching to that contribution too.) Obviously, Mitt’s trying to prevent an “establishment vs. grassroots” Castle/O’Donnell dynamic from developing in the state; if that happens and this becomes a test of enthusiasm between centrists and “true conservative” backers of the Iowa winner, he’s in big trouble. In fact, he’s in big trouble regardless since other centrist types like Daniels and Pawlenty will be looking at New Hampshire as do or die for them and will campaign hard there, potentially drawing off key votes from Romney. With the centrists split, a strong “true conservative” candidate like Palin or Pence would stand a fair chance of pulling the upset with the base unified behind them. Exit question: After all the time we’ve spent gaming out the primaries and all the time we’re yet to spend gaming them out even more obsessively, is this race actually going to be over early?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Yes, there are a lot of Mormons in the CIA.
Researching why is also interesting.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Perhaps that’s because many Mormons are highly proficient in foreign languages due to their missionary work?

As a former translator I can tell you that many of the best foreign speakers of Japanese I’ve known were Mormons.

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Don’t let the bigot get to you. She’s a joke and everyone here knows it.
ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM

She’s a joke, and sadly, she has a lot of like-minded friends.

Yes, there are a lot of Mormons in the CIA.
Researching why is also interesting.
Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Gosh, do you think it could be because they’re very patriotic, extremely disciplined, and aren’t the sorts to be plied with liquor and seduced by double agents, and stuff? I didn’t do a bit of “research” to figure that out. Amazing!

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Do you speak in tongues, Jenfidel? I ask because Sarah Palin was a Pentecostal and you’re a Palin fan.

See how this game works?

Over and out…

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

That too. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!/

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Bullcookies. But you need to remove her record as Governor, because her record, makes your opinions sound even less informed.

Slowburn on December 30, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Not to worry, “Hollownuts” is a seminar poster like Knucklehead and a few others. They’re not real people, just bots.

They only show up on Palin threads or threads that turn into Palin threads. They like to form one big circle jerk among themselves.

Facts don’t matter, nor does common sense. Their purpose is to lie, cause problems, and attack Palin supporters thinking that intimidates us, or something.

They serve no useful purpose here, or in real life.

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Check out the conversation between Glenn Beck and Sen. Orrin Hatch on Beck’s radio show for their use of the appropriate language relative to the White Horse Prophecy.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Are you a Beck fan or do you blow him off because of his faith?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Get a life. Jen and I don’t always see eye to eye, but she’s entitled to her concern.

Frankly I couldn’t care less that Willard is a Mormon. The fact that he is a MORON is what concerns me!

The fact that he and Elmer Gantry were in a perpetual contest to see who could be the worst Governor in America concerns me.

The fact that the moron created RomneyCare, and still thinks it’s the greatest thing EVER, and is STILL telling other Governors it’s just the ticket for their states, concerns me.

An ordinary person acting like this would be committed to the insane asylum!

Being a Mormon might be his only endearing quality.

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Get a clue, Champ:

Jenfidel, you should respect the logic and study that Buy Danish comments provide. You’d learn to appreciate her opinion, despite your animus that you supposedly base upon faith. maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM

???My animus? When he’s dissing me as a “true conservative?”
And my animus is comparable to his knee-jerk defense of Mitt, simply because they’re both Mormons.
Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

As for Hollowpoint, like most everything else you utter, you don’t know w.t.h. you’re talking about. Nice projection though! You’ve managed to beat Libs at that being exemplars of that psych disorder.

Running out the door now. Sorry I can’t continue conversing with you and your Moonbat friend…

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

We must be living in your head, rent free (as disgusting as that sounds). You must be worried that we’re making too much sense to keep carrying on with your B.S. the way you do.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

That’s funny, since this isn’t a Palin thread. Seems like the Palinbots want to turn every thread into a ‘Palin’ thread though.

Bigbullets on December 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

You need to get re-seated on your rocker bud.

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM

You need to get re-seated on your rocker bud.

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM

You’d have better luck re-seating a train that jumped the tracks off a bridge over the Grand Canyon.

Dark-Star on December 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM

gary4205 on December 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Moonbat…

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

So Mitt’s a Mormon. So what.
When Mormon’s start flying planes into to buildings or threatening to destroy everyone that won’t become a Mormon…then I’ll be concerned.
Until that time…

The Mormon’s that I’ve known have been good people.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I just reread what Jen was saying about Mormons.

She truly IS an anti-Mormon bigot.
(No Jen-I’m not a Mormon…I’m a Jew turned Protestant turned Roman Catholic)

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

The only objective evidence we have are the multitude of polls (including personal approval ratings) that have been taken on the subject, and they all say the same thing- Palin would lose.

Ronald Reagan was in exactly the same position in 1979 and 1980. Trailed Jimmy Carter by 25 points. Had the same vicious smears launched against him by the same villains (media, Dems, leftards, Vichy Republicans) … stupid, not intellectual enough, didn’t read, not well informed, dangerous, couldn’t handle the Soviets, yada yada yada. We all know how that turned out.

pdigaudio on December 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

By the way, if The Hucktard is a conservative, The Olbertard is really Edward R. Murrow.

Huckabee is pro-life but that’s where it stops. Remember: even a broken clock is right twice a day (which is more often than Bela Pelosi, but that’s another topic). Huckabee was soft on crime, frequently granting parole to vicious criminals who claimed to find Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. Ask the families of those four cops how that turned out. He’s a supporter of the myth known as man-made global warming (as is Pawlenty, by the way). He’s also a Big Nanny Stater who supports the federal government in the form of Moooooooooooochelle telling Americans how they must eat.

No thanks, I’ll pass.

pdigaudio on December 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM

She truly IS an anti-Mormon bigot.
(No Jen-I’m not a Mormon…I’m a Jew turned Protestant turned Roman Catholic)

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Mormons aren’t that big on Jews, either.
They believe that as of the advent of Joseph Smith, the Mormons are God’s chosen people not the Jews.
They believe that Jews left Israel and came over to North America in ships and that their spirits were reborn in the Mormon people.
I’d be surprised if you hear any of them be a big advocate for Jews or for Israel.
I told you that Beck and Paul shared a lot in common.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Beck’s a huge supporter of Israel as is Mitt-besides, our problem isn’t the LDS…it’s radical Islam.
Let’s keep our eye on the ball please.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM

SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Jenfidal, you are just nuts! A spirit does not get reborn into anyone. Mormons are big supporters of Israel and the Jews. And yes, they (the Jews) are God’s chosen people and Mormons believe that!
Why don’t you get a clue.
And yes, because you are such a bigot I call on Allapudit to ban you and your offense lies.
It would be great if you could site what you say, and then argue your point, but you don’t.
If you are a supporter of Sarahs, then some of us have to rethink our support.

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

(No Jen-I’m not a Mormon…I’m a Jew turned Protestant turned Roman Catholic)

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

You’ll make her head explode!

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

This is mild when compared to some of the other hate she has spewed.

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Bambi on December 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Do you need his phone number cause she has crossed the line once again.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I’m liking Herman Crane. Google him to catch up.

mixplix on December 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I’m liking Herman Crane. Google him to catch up.

mixplix on December 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Don’t you mean Herman Cain?..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Don’t you mean Herman Cain?..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM

He was great guest hosting for Hannity the other day.

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM

He was great guest hosting for Hannity the other day.

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM

He is a very good conservative..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I don’t like him, his company shut down the only location in town…20 years ago…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

You left out: anti sport hunting and anti predator control AND former jar head…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I told you that Beck and Paul shared a lot in common.

Jenfidel on December 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

That’s a big fat lie.
Educate yourself.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I don’t like him, his company shut down the only location in town…20 years ago…

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

LOL!..Guess you will have to eat Pizza Hut pizza..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

He is a very good conservative..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I’ll vote for the man!

ladyingray on December 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Gohawgs on December 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I don’t rate to be called former Jarhead because I never made it out of bootcamp…as such I never earned the title of US. Marine.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

How many different groups has Jenfidel been revealed to be a bigot towards now? I’ve lost track.

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM

A good read on pajamasmedia (here), especially the comments; that is if you are interested in some well formed arguments put forth with some civility.

Geochelone on December 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM

DarkCurrent on December 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Mormon’s, interracial couples/children, anyone who does not think Palin is electable?

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM

P.S. I take it back about the ban hammer. Jenfidel should be banned.

Buy Danish on December 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I agree. I am really sick and tired of her bigotry towards Mormons. She constantly makes claims about Mormons for which she has no facts or knowledge.

Its one thing to have doctrinal disagreements with other faiths but she goes beyond that into a realm that can only be described as bigotry towards the LDS faith.

And is not like she makes random bigoted comments now and then. She makes them consistently and she’s been doing this for a long time now.

I’m sick of it.

Allah, please drop the hammer on her. Please!!

Conservative Samizdat on December 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Conservative Samizdat on December 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Thirded.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM

You forgot Mexicans…

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Knucklehead on December 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM

You forgot Mexicans…

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I like all those groups of people just fine.
Your knee jerk reactions, erroneous conclusions and willingness to attack/swarm someone on here are just unbelievable.

Nothing I stated about Mormonism is false or wrong.
And I was polite while doing so.
Research what Mormons believe for yourself: it’s all out there on the web.

Jenfidel on December 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I don’t think that religion is the real issue with this poster. :)

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Romney, to me, is like Lisa M., Crist, and other true-blue RINO’s.

It could be easier for me to reject this group, since I never voted or believed in them in the past.

I wouldn’t vote for him. I think Obama would be just as good, and we’d get points for giving him a second term.

I just can’t see that Romney is much help to real people.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Jenfidel on December 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Mormons also give their women ‘secret’ names so they can get into heaven! *gasp*

Who gives a damn what they believe…unless you fear it for some reason. Isn’t your Christianity strong enough?

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I just can’t see that Romney is much help to real people.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

B effin S! At least Mitten’s SCOTUS picks would be better. You really aren’t very bright, are you?

And that is not something a moderate would say, you libtard. You aren’t fooling anyone.

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

That is about the only real issue.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 11:03 AM

The reality for me? Doesn’t matter. I lived in a blue-blue state before. Didn’t matter. And I live in a red-red state now. Doesn’t matter.

I get a pass on the presidential election, in reality.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Jen is losing sight-no surprise there-of the real problem…and it ISN’T Mormons, or Amish, or Society of Friends or Christian Scientists or…it’s RADICAL ISLAM.

Who cares what Mormon’s do. My issue with Romney is ‘Romney Care’-not his religion. As far as his ‘values’ he …crosses…me as a decent guy…a mensch if you will.
If he’s the nominee I’ll vote for him.

Jen: You don’t like Mormons. We get it.
Let. It. go.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Religious prejudice is just that……prejudice.

Nobody is interested in that thinking these days.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I’m a one-issue voter. SCOTUS nominations. That takes care of all the other issues…it’s why I voted for GWB twice (thank God we didn’t get stuck with Harriet Myers, though).

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Jen: You don’t like Mormons. We get it.
Let. It. go.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM

She’s skeered of them and their onesies…

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Nothing I stated about Mormonism is false or wrong.
And I was polite while doing so.
Research what Mormons believe for yourself: it’s all out there on the web.

Jenfidel on December 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Liar, liar pants on fire.

Knucklehead on December 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Liar, liar pants on fire.

Knucklehead on December 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM

She was polite! Just as she was when she said multi-racial children have emotional problems!

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Knucklehead on December 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Jen’s right in that Mormons do have secret religious names…but so what.
They’re not bothering me…or her.

Btw: Jewish kids also get special religious names-either at birth-or if they have one-their Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.
My Hebrew name is Rahel(Rachel)
Is Jen afraid of me now?
One can only hope. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

My Hebrew name is Rahel(Rachel)
Is Jen afraid of me now?
One can only hope. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Catholics get special religous names when they are confirmed, too!!

Bad, scary Catholics!

Good grief! Mormons, Jewish, Catholics…we’re effin’ surrounded!!

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I was confirmed at Easter Vigil in April as part of RCIA.
My Catholic name is Edith. My patron saint is St. Edith Stein.
My attitude is that it takes a ‘Jewish girl’ to understand a ‘Jewish girl’.
*grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Funny. LOL*

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

He strikes me as about as much of a Mormon as Obama was a Christian. Or is Obama still claiming that?

I think that religion is truly gone as a political issue in this country.

Most people are sort of …. new ageish, I guess. They believe in a higher power, a God, but they aren’t particularly wedded to a religion.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM

:D

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I don’t think that religion is the real issue with this poster. :)

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Whatever her real “issues” are, Allah needs to drop the ban hammer on her.

She deserves it for so many reasons.

Conservative Samizdat on December 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I know this is late and they probably will close this site soon, but:

Sorry AnninCa, you’d be wrong about Romney. Whether you like him or his policies or not, he is a good man and takes his religion seriously. You can’t even put his name in the same area as “O’s”.

Bambi on December 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Is this where Mitt says goodbye?

Goodbye, Mitt.

davidk on December 31, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Youse womens are funny…

Gohawgs on December 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Nothing I stated about Mormonism is false or wrong.
And I was polite while doing so.
Research what Mormons believe for yourself: it’s all out there on the web.
Jenfidel on December 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

“The Web” is a very big place, with all sorts of loony, vicious, conspiracy theories. The fact that you make an idiotic statement which essentially claims that “If it’s on the web it must be true!” shows how utterly lacking in objectivity and discernment you are. BTW, your preposterous comments about the “Provo Olympics” were the icing on the cake – and a very poisonous cake it is.

Buy Danish on December 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Buy Danish on December 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Happy New Year ‘Danish!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Happy New Year to you too! I can’t believe this thread isn’t dead yet…

Buy Danish on December 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Buy Danish on December 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

She’s clearly ignorant on the LDS faith. And its clear why. She gets all her stuff on the “web” which is a great place to get all sort of information. Some of the stuff posted on the web is accurate while others are downright false.

However, the fact that the “web” is her source of information about the Mormons indicates how little she knows of the LDS faith.

Conservative Samizdat on January 1, 2011 at 3:51 AM

If Obama holds course, it won’t matter who the Repubs put up. It will be anyone BUT Obama voting time. He knows it, or rather his people know it.

For us conservatives, Romney has long lost his appeal. I would support him as VP in a heartbeat, but not president. Too much liberal in that boy’s blood. Remember, he started this whole nationalization of healthcare mantra with his state version, which is blowing up as we speak and he STILL refuses to admit it was a bad idea.

No we need someone like Mike Pence or Paul Ryan. Not Jindal, as he reminds me of the kid on Big Bang Theory. No “presence” if you know what I mean. Too Nerdy. How about The Texas Governor, Perry?

The trouble is the pickings are slim in both parties because of the generational corruption of spirit, ethics and sense of leadership. You cannot ignore that if it is nationwide and society-wide that somehow Congress or our leaders have escaped it.

The other day I had the pleasure of watching an older movie starring Tom Hanks called “Charlie Wilson’s War”. I was tickled to see as much as Hanks played Wilson “over the top” he wasn’t that far over the top. That is what we need some honest down to earth guys who just don’t give a hoot about polls, but only doing the right thing- at least on occasion.

archer52 on January 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM