What if Romney decides not to run?

posted at 6:13 pm on December 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

K-Lo, a Romney fan of longstanding, thinks the unthinkable at NRO. And the Conservatives 4 Palin people are all over it.

Given that his path to the nomination is impossible unless Mike Huckabee runs, something no serious person believes will happen, Lopez may be way ahead of the curve.

The Daily Kos pollster found that Governor Palin was the top second choice among Romney’s current supporters, a result that I did not find surprising considering that a lot of Romney’s support comes from Mormons and that Palin would likely get their support in the event he did not run for the presidency given that Mormons are generally very conservative.

Alternate headline: “Blogger not a serious person.” As unlikely as this scenario is — especially given how many favors Romney bought by donating to GOP candidates before the midterms — I suppose there’s a chance that his polling will look so grim in three months, say, that he’ll decide there’s simply no path to the nomination. The albatross of RomneyCare around his neck is too heavy, the strength of tea party enthusiasm for a “true conservative” nominee too great. Why spend tens of millions on yet another futile run through the primaries? Two problems with that theory, though. One: Given the uncertainty of the polling and even of the composition of the presidential field, how would Mitt know for sure that he has no chance to win? His numbers in that CNN poll I blogged earlier were better than Palin’s; his numbers in Florida, while currently dismal, could soar if he wins New Hampshire and emerges as the candidate favored by centrist Republicans. If the economy recovers slowly in the first half of 2011, his resume will seem even more appealing to independents focused on unemployment. It’s hard to imagine him concluding that he has so little chance to win that it’s not even worth trying after the GOP united behind a famously centrist amnesty shill just two years ago.

The other problem is really a question: Would Romney dropping out benefit the “true conservatives” in the race? He’s the most well known of the centrist candidates, so Palin, Huckabee, and Gingrich would have a bigger advantage in name recognition over the rest of the field. But Romney’s also arguably the weakest centrist thanks to health care and the religious objections some base voters have to his faith. Thune, Pawlenty, and Daniels don’t carry that same baggage, and Daniels has lately tried to repair some of the damage from his comments about a “truce” on social issue by insisting that he had liberals in mind when he said that, not social cons. Without Romney in the race, New Hampshire would be a huge opportunity for the pragmatist dark horses to pick up momentum, especially right after the social con war in Iowa. In fact, with Romney out, I’d bet Gingrich would immediately reposition himself as the experienced political manager rather than the guy who tries to work “secular socialist machine” into every other soundbite to pander to fiscal and social cons.

C4P does make a good point, though, about Mormon support for Romney potentially having an impact. He’s the favorite in the Nevada caucuses, which will be held shortly after New Hampshire, precisely because there’s a large Mormon population there. Without him among the field, those voters are likely to split for social conservatives instead, which means the momentum for whoever wins New Hampshire could be blunted very quickly. Which is to say, if you’re a Palin (or Huck or Newt) fan, then yeah, you probably want Mitt out. But I doubt you’ll get your wish.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

Heh. I actually have an old ’84 “President Reagan: Bringing America Back” bumper sticker I’m thinking about putting on the car.

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Tell you what. If Romney goes up against Obama, I’ll join you in writing in Reagan ’84 … game?

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

And I think we just got this beast over 1000.

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Though he’s not my first choice-I did vote for him in the 2008 primary over McCain-Romney is a better class of person than Crist.

Btw: I DO want a businessman/woman in the Oval Office.
Like it or not-the USA is a ‘business’.
There’s a reason why governors tend to make better presidents-it’s because they have experience running the day to day BUSINESS of a state.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I will admit. I must be the only person left who doesn’t think being a governor necessarily prepares one for the presidency.

I think what Sarah Palin has experienced is the real proving ground. You have to go through really having some great ideas becoming some kind of nasty retort. And, eventually, you get over being surprised.

Yes, your motives will be questioned.
Yes, your veracity will be trashed.
Yes, you will be demonized.

Once you’ve truly gotten used to this? You’re probably ready for the national field.

If there’s anyone ready, I’d say…………Sarah.

What I pay attention to her about? How’s she REALLY handling all this.

If she’s on the roller-coaster of “They love me, they hate me, they love me,” She can’t be clear-headed enough to lead.

I liked Bush’s clear head. I didn’t agree with his choices, but I never doubted his clarity.

I dislike Obama’s chaotic thinking.

I’m waiting to see about Palin. Romney? He hasn’t even stuck out his turtle neck. Who knows? The guys a mystery.

I think Huck is like Palin. He’s easier to read. I’d vote for him, too.

We’ll just have to see. I would say this. This isn’t going to be a smart year from an unknown.

Christie in NJ should NOT run. He’s just like Palin. Way too unknown.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM

But he’s not my guy. He just doesn’t have the guts to take on Obama in any real way. He’d just be another Dole or McCain and would be fully prepared from the beginning to lose graciously. We need someone who’s in it to win it, because it’s going to be a very, very ugly election.

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I agree with this. I don’t understand these people who want to run for President but don’t seem willing to put up a fight for it and seem to just go through the motions. I guess they get in the game hoping that something will turn their way, like a scandal or something. But it just makes no sense.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Tempting, and I thank you for the offer, but I’m not sure if I could throw away a vote. I’m afraid I’m too much a dyed in the wool GOPer and no matter what, I’ll always pull the lever for our guy. I’m the kind of voter these guys count on!

Funnily enough, Reagan is the only President I’ve ever seen in person, and it was during the ’84 campaign. I was too young to vote for him, but I did skip school to go see him. It was a real thrill.

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Meg Whitman comes to mind… All that money … to lose?

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I’m getting my Bob Dole ’12! bumper sticker ready!!! /s

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

heh. Our Fred ’08 hats and T-shirts arrived shortly after he withdrew, but I like wearing them for tea parties.

First things first.
Build the Constitutional Conservative Platform.
Reform the Republican Primary Process.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

If you live in a blue state, you aren’t throwing away your vote.

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I don’t know if it would be safe to wear a Bob Dole T to a Tea Party.

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Christie in NJ should NOT run. He’s just like Palin. Way too unknown.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I recall that you supported O! in the election. How is Christie any more unknown now than Obama was then? How is Palin unkown at this point? I’m not saying I support either at this point, but I think that sentiment does not make sense. Now, I think Obama was way too unknown when he ran – but more because the media did not bother to do any reporting on him, his past, or his ideology. The media still hasn’t. Most americans know as little about Obama today as they did 4 years ago.

But, by your logic, who could run? Who out there knows anything about any of the other governors? Or even congressmen or the lessor known Senators. Once you get by the big 10 or so Senators that are always on tv and in the papers, most people can’t name their own senators, let alone another state’s senators or governors.

At least when it comes to republicans, we can rely on the media to dig up every possible thing about the person, so by the election, they will be known.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Heck I’ll write in Nixon in 72

darwin-t on December 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM

wow.. and the beat(ing) goes on?

upinak on December 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM

The reality is that that people didn’t really care about million and above. And it “appears” that the GOP is protecting the rich.

That feeds into a very old stereotype about the GOP.

In this political message battle, Obama won.

And sure enough, that’s what the Dems are latching onto in all messages now.

It’s the same ole’ GOP, they say.

That was not a good win for the GOP.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Not sure that is true at all, but we can always count on you to explain how conservatives should just embrace the liberal ideas and message.

whether idiots understand or not, you need to go above a million before you stop hurting small companies. And, once you go above 1 million (or really, even $250,000), you have lost any reason to raise the taxes. Once you get above that amount for income, you are looking at so few taxpayers that it won’t raise revenues at all. And the reality is, those people hide their money so well, it won’t make a difference. That is why people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are all for tax increases on “the rich”. They know they won’t actually pay any more themselves, but small businesses making, in a good year, $250,000 and up will get crushed by the taxes. And, unlike big players like Buffett, when a small business makes $250,000 in profit, a lot of that goes right back into the business.

So, what you are saying is that like the libs, the GOP should do the wrong thing and raise taxes on the middle class in order to pander to those who have class envy. Perhaps you are right and Obama “won” by capitulating to the GOP on taxes. But the answer isn’t to join the libs in their completely wrong economic policies, it is to educate americans that those policies are wrong.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM

As an aside, Anninca has become a much more sophisticated concern troll than she used to be.

she used to not hide her far left liberalism as well. Now she pretends to be a moderate right-of-center person much better, but always sticks in a subtle little “you know, the gop should really have just raised taxes” type message.

So, it is nice to see the growth.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I don’t do Facebook, not yet. Maybe that will change this coming year.

I generally follow his radio show, good guests and as ever, I like Fred’s commentary between segments. Also the tone is right, always spot on. Thompson remains my favorite Republican. Like a pun on JSBach’s double set of Preludes and Fugues, Fred’s the Well Tempered Conservative (WTC), fiscal and constitutional, artfully maneuvering every tonal region through all imaginable, unexpected and expressive modulations, paying due respect to the creative former masters of “the learned style” while being a vanguard of the novel, ridiculed by his peers, but enjoying timeless popularity as A CLASS ACT that all subsequently revere as “great”.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Heck I’ll write in Nixon in 72

darwin-t on December 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM

damn! no.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Heck I’ll write in Nixon in 72

darwin-t on December 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Goldwater-’64?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

If you live in a blue state, you aren’t throwing away your vote.

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I’m in Texas, so actually it won’t matter, because my state will go heavily against O. At least I hope it will. ;)

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Bob Dole T to a Tea Party.

MeatHeadinCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM

eh, offer some Dole Pineapple Juice.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Goldwater-’64?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Ah, the Great Divide. Worth remembering.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM

been splendid, but taking off now…

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Ah, the Great Divide. Worth remembering.

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM

My then 22 year old father cast his first vote for BG in’64.
Because the voting age was 21 at the time Ma had to wait and voted for Nixon is ’68.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Mitt’s already out. I have seen nothing from him that would make me climb on board his bandwagon. He’s not a fighter. He’s not a personality. He’s not got a lot of leadership qualities that the has shown in the past 2 and half years. He can’t explain Romney Care so that I am comfortable with it. He hangs out with people that have no principles. I don’t know what his principles are as he hasn’t really articulated them. He wrote a book, but I haven’t read it yet. He doesn’t like Huck very much, but then neither do I. Well, we have that in common. Other than that he has given me no reason to vote for him.

BetseyRoss on December 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Not going to happen. Romney has worked too hard to quit now.

I’m a Romney supporter all the way.

Palin is my second choice though, since I believe she is a fundamentally good person.

scotash on December 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I recall that you supported O! in the election.

Wrong. I voted McCain.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

BetseyRoss on December 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Agree. I think that the public has decided. Give the Congress to the GOP. Let Obama have a second term.

It’s pretty much over, in my opinion. He’ll be reelected. He always knew. Toss the Dems under the bus.

He succeeded. On a personal level, I don’t blame him. How insulting to be “bought” by the Kennedy arm.”

He outwitted them.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM

This thread is still running? Holy cow this thread needs some pest control.

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Not going to happen. Romney has worked too hard to quit now.

I’m a Romney supporter all the way.

scotash on December 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Jindal’s my first choice followed by Pence.
Since Jindal has said he won’t run…
Gov. Palin is unquestionably a good person and I’d probably list her as my 4th or 5th choice.
If she’s the nominee she becomes my ONLY choice.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM

RomneyCare! He’s just another Greasy Thief.

joshlbetts on December 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM

So, it is nice to see the growth.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I personally don’t consider myself remotely far-left. I think I accept that gay rights is moving forward, and other social issues just aren’t that relevant, given our real problems.

But I’m also not entirely persuaded by Palin’s argument of no regulatory oversight, either.

I think that nobody has truly articulated my own perspective, so it’s a matter of “take the best and leave the rest” with politics.

I presume that’s because the public isn’t entirely settled about the solution, either.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Actually this thread’s been pretty calm by recent standards.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

the “Mormon crony” canard?
It isn’t a canard.
It’s true.
Mitt’s backed by major Mormon money.
He was also for the Provo Olympics.

Hate to intrude, but I’m curious, since I worked on the Olympics, where were the Provo Olympics?
Also curious about all the “Mormon” money? Are you saying the “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints” gave money to Romney? Or are you saying that the “Mormons” are so wealthy that they all contributed? Which?
By the way, the “Salt Lake Olympics” was one of the only Olympics that didn’t leave the city/state in a financial mess! And that was directly attributed to Romney’s leadership. I believe that his pay was $1.00 a year. Believe me it was a mess before he was brought in to straighten it out.
One more question from someone who doesn’t have an mba, but my husband does, plus a law degree (does that count?) don’t we want someone who will get rid of the fat in government, even if he has to fire, fire, fire the bloated government emplyees?

Bambi on December 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Bottom line: Obama is going to be re-elected. Against all odds, for no good reason at all, we’re going to hand him 4 more years in the White House.

We are going to nominate Palin or Huckabee or some other non-serious no-win candidate, and end up with a full 8 years of Obama madness.

I wonder what kind of damage he can inflict with a full 8 years to play with.

I wonder who historians will be more contemptuous of: the idiots who elected Obama the Oh-So-Useless, or the idiots in the opposing party who let him stay in office for eight years out of sheer ga-ga-ga empty-headed Kool-Aid guzzling Republican-hope-n-change stupidity?

Should be interesting. Personally, I’ll blame us.

It’s almost laugh-out-loud funny that after laughing through Hope-n-Change, we’re doing the exact same thing as they did.

Professor Blather on December 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM

BetseyRoss on December 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

But he saved the Olympics. :-D

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Oh please, the American electorate voted in Obama, with Wright named as his “spiritual mentor.”

That should have ended all religious debates forever.

Romney’s religion has no play. It’s about his image as the ultimate GOP old-guard.

Nobody is interested, really. He’s country-club thinking.

And we need something else.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Professor Blather on December 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Once again, insulting the people you supposedly are trying to persuade. Impressive.

Since you appear to have a crystal ball, who’s your guy? Who’s the candidate that can beat Obama? Come on, let’s see you make an argument for someone for a change.

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM

…don’t we want someone who will get rid of the fat in government, even if he has to fire, fire, fire the bloated government emplyees?

Bambi on December 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Palin’s not above giving someone the ax if they prove to be dead weight.

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Jindal’s my first choice followed by Pence.
Since Jindal has said he won’t run…
If she’s the nominee she becomes my ONLY choice.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I like Jindal and Pence but I’m pretty sure neither are running. Jindal has made statements to that regard and I believe Pence is going for IN Gov.

Of the people expected to announce, my picks right now are Palin and Cain. I favor Palin more because I think she has less substantive obstacles than Cain does, things like the ability to create a national movement, fundraising, campaign stumping, meaningful endorsements that make a difference…and I know her record as an official as well. Cain is right on the issues like Palin is, but he’s missing a lot of pretty key components like I listed above. So he’s kind of my dark horse pick.

powerpro on December 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I don’t think that people are remotely prepared to hand total power to the GOP.

That’s the reality.

They honestly haven’t offered solutions. There’s no guarantee that even cutting spending will help the economy. It could backfire.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM

And I personally think that proposing all these far-fetched guys is ridiculous.

Running a national campaign is expensive. It requires huge support.

And if you flub that? You end up looking like Huckabee.

And I think that’s his future, too.

I think the polls are silly. Huckabee can’t muster the guns for a real national election.

So get over it. Neither can Pence. Neither can Cristy.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM

The reason you are not for Obamacare in its current form is because you wanted a pure public option. It does not get much more left than that. You always are in favor of more taxes and more regulation. You are pro gay marriage and pro abortion.

You constantly claim to not be on the left (you even did so while promoting a “public option”), but never have a conservative position.

You claim to be in the middle (because the public hasn’t “made up its mind”?) but your positions are all out on the left.

That is a concern troll. Someone pretending to be conservative or even moderate, but agitating for leftist ideas. You couch all your suggestions in terms of “the gop would win more elections if” it adopted left position “x”.

You may not realize you are doing it, but that is what you have always done. Like I said though, you used to be much less sophisticated at it. If someon is newer to these comment threads, reading your comments now, they would likely believe that you a moderate or that you had ever actually voted for a republican.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM

The reality is that the GOP has no major figure who can muster a national attack.

Palin will become more popular as people start to get into reality about this. She does have it. And she can.

She won’t win, of course. She’s too damaged in many ways.

But she will emerge as the real candidate, I predict.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Wrong. I voted McCain.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Well, I definitely don’t believe that. You certainly supported all of O!’s positions and have supported all of O’s positions since the election. I can’t prove how you voted as it is a secret ballot, but I very much doubt you are being honest about it.

but that all goes hand in hand with being a concern troll. Pretend to be in the same camp, but agitate for the enemy.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I don’t think that people are remotely prepared to hand total power to the GOP.

That’s the reality.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Now, where have I heard that talkiing point before? Oh yeah, the DNC. Of course, it is absolute nonsense. Teh GOP has offered tons of solutions. Again, concern troll.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Think the Pilgrims knew about “cost management”?
Then why did they try Socialism and set up a commune, only to find it was a dismal failure?

You’re talking about thrift and the government being thrifty…
Jenfidel on December 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I’m talking about “thrift”? Where?

What’s significant about Plymouth Colony was not the fact that they briefly engaged in communal agricultural methods, but that they quickly discarded it for private ownership. Certainly Stalin, Mao, or Castro (to name a few) were not so quick to discard failed experiments in communal economics.

Buy Danish on December 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 12:07

Here are my personal choices, judge them as you will.

I think that gay rights is really about accepting gay sexual preferences. I don’t think it’s about money or marriage rights or anything else. I think it’s about feelings. I think that gay people want to be recognized. I honestly don’t care if they are or aren’t. It’s just my issue. And I’m not that crazy about marriage laws, anyway.

I do want a public option. You’re right. And I’d like it to be fairly priced. I’d also like a lot of stuff, but apparently this choice is beyond reality.

Honestly, I’ve never understood what people even mean by “concern” troll.

I have always stated my own preferences as directly as possible, and I would hope that means I’m not a troll.

I’m definitely not some right-wing conservative. I find all this talk to be rather crude, I guess.

That’s the best description. I also found the left to be the same.

I honestly think both sides are crazed. Maybe that’s too extreme. Let’s call you……..a bit off the page.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM

She won’t win, of course. She’s too damaged in many ways.

But she will emerge as the real candidate, I predict.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Ann…this is what a campaign is for.

Make your case. Clear up misunderstandings. Connect with the electorate.

She either will succeed in a campaign or she won’t…but it’s not a foregone conclusion that she’ll fail, as you state categorically.

Otherwise…let’s all throw in the towel now because the media will never give any GOP contender a fair shake and they will always become “too damaged in many ways.”

powerpro on December 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Well, I definitely don’t believe that.

Well, dear, you’re wrong.

I voted Republican for the first time in my entire life.

And if felt just right, too.

And you’re a presumptuous ass.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

powerpro on December 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

No, she may be just too damaged by the tactics.

She certainly hasn’t thrown in the towel. But I would warn the GOP about Palin.

If you let the left get by with this attack?

I suspect you’ll lose credibility.

I know I’m already deciding that you aren’t trustworthy.

So think carefully.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Blah, blah, blah…rattle, rattle, rattle…blah, blah, blah…

ladyingray on December 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM

No, she may be just too damaged by the tactics.

She certainly hasn’t thrown in the towel. But I would warn the GOP about Palin.

If you let the left get by with this attack?

I suspect you’ll lose credibility.

I know I’m already deciding that you aren’t trustworthy.

So think carefully.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I think Palin’s decided not to wait to be rescued by the GOP. She’s already, I believe, laying the foundation for a campaign. Her show let’s people see her without the media bias. They can see she loves challenges…is a go-getter…doesn’t give up, ie, she’s not a quitter in any sense of the term…hates whinging and unproductive chatter…loves her family…loves her state…

Now her job will be to make the case for herself…and if she does, great…if not, she’ll support another constitutional conservative and they’ll win.

But I think they underestimate her at their peril…and looking ahead, I believe she has a real shot at this. She has the right instincts politically, can turn on a dime and knows how to counter the media nonsense.

powerpro on December 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Anninca,

You have never been honest about where you stand. You consistently claim to be moderate and yet always agitate for far left ideas. Either you don’t understand what is left, center and right in this country (which I could believe), or you constantly lie.

I may be an ass, but you are completely and consistently dishonest.

“I want a public option” “I want the gov’t to decide the prices”. How you don’t understand that that is socialistic and far left, is incredible.

By concern troll we mean those who comment on boards such as this, pretend to be on the same team in the hopes of gaining credibility, but then agitate for the other team. Like so “I’m a lifelong rock solid conservative, but you know, that Obama is the best president ever and his ideas are great. I don’t understand why all you other conservatives don’t see that.”

You used to do this in a sloppy way. You now are more subtle in doing it. You also don’t put out your far-left thoughts as much as you used to. But you always, always come down on the side of the left idea – more taxes, more regulation, more government.

So, you are being dishonest by claiming to be “undecided” or that you want the republicans to ever win anything.

Monkeytoe on December 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I live in Massachusetts.

I have a bill in front of me to buy my state-mandated health insurance $528 this month or pay tax penalties twice that.

Before the mandatory health care bill, I had a simple health care plan (no longer valid in Massachusetts) that cost a mere $323/month. It’s gone, and it’s all because then-Governor Mitt Romney, a supposed conservative, signed into law an act that requires me to buy a bunch of extra insurance I will never want, need, nor use.

YOU ARE A CRETINOUS IDIOT

DarthBrooks on December 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM

YOU ARE A CRETINOUS IDIOT if you support Romney as candidate for President, or even as a candidate for dog catcher. I will do everything within my civic abilities as a voter and as a Republican to make sure he’s not on the ballot.

DarthBrooks on December 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM

But he did save the Olympics. /s

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Christie in NJ should NOT run. He’s just like Palin. Way too unknown.

AnninCA on December 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Too unknown? Palin? We know more about her kids than we knew about Obama in 2008. What in the world are you smoking this morning?

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM

dude; whoa. 1000 comments on this one.

ted c on December 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

But he did save the Olympics. /s

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

He will have the undying support of French skating judges.

Laura in Maryland on December 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Blah, blah, blah…rattle, rattle, rattle…blah, blah, blah…

ladyingray on December 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM

well played :D

Laura in Maryland on December 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Laura in Maryland on December 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

:D

ladyingray on December 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM

dude; whoa. 1000 comments on this one.

ted c on December 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Yeah, and 17 of them were about Romney.

portlandon on December 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Ta Da! The endorsements are already coming in.

mizflame98 on December 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM

YOU ARE A CRETINOUS IDIOT if you support Romney as candidate for President
DarthBrooks on December 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Too bad you ruined what would have been a very good comment, which supplied some useful facts and information, with this ending.

Buy Danish on December 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM

1061 comments?

DUDE?

jnelchef on December 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Buy Danish on December 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Please let me know what other conclusion can be made for those who would support a supposed Republican who managed to out-Obama ObamaCare? The national mess that’s a few years down the road for the rest of the country has already arrived in the state previously governed by Mitt Romney.

I would be willing to replace “insanity” for “idiocy” if you think the evaluation is more apt. Other descriptions could include “willful blindness,” “self-delusional,” or the arguable “RINO” label. In any case, a vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for an intrusive and ubiquitous government.

DarthBrooks on December 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

DarthBrooks on December 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Is the Heritage Foundation cretinous too? They originally supported the mandate and played an “advisory role“. In hindsight there are a lot of problems with his plan (or more accurately, his plan with the Democrat legislature’s additions). The good news is to the extent that these problems are similar to Obama’s monstrous plan (there are many differences between the two in concept, execution, and ultimate goals) it serves as a road map of what not to do.

Buy Danish on December 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Buy Danish on December 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Yeah, like not electing Mitt Romney.

Missy on December 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM

AnninCa is a rabid pro child murder fraud and concern troll. Don’t be fooled by her, she is as evil as they come. She has tried to become more subtle but those of us who have been here for at least 2 years know who she started out as and recognize her even with her moderate disguise on.

She acts like she likes Palin but never fails to give herself away when she states she would never vote for Palin because Palin is pro life. After she was exposed as a lesbian, she suddenly started talking about a son and ex… All lies!

CCRWM on December 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Blah, blah, blah…rattle, rattle, rattle…blah, blah, blah…

ladyingray on December 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM

well played :D

Laura in Maryland on December 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Indeed, it’s the most intelligent post that ‘lady’ has made in days.

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

CCRWM on December 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Off your meds again, I see.

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM

The pre-born are totally innocent…and they have the right not to be murdered.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM

They also have no right to be cared for since they were only the choice of the rapist who should be put in jail. The baby can starve out of the womb, or do you also require the female to raise the baby.

PrezHussein on December 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM

I’m reading this late, but what a bizarre — and jaw-droppingly callous — statement that is! As if there aren’t childless couples across the nation that would love to adopt that “unwanted” baby!

Some of them have to go to foreign countries to find a child to adopt.

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 30, 2010 at 2:52 AM

We know how ugly Romney fans can get with their fetish, the word “bigot” self righteously hurled at those who fail to believe in Romney (not talking necessarily referencing Buy Danish personally).

maverick muse on December 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Gad, what a memory!

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM

It doesn’t matter if Romney runs. We need to find an actual conservative to nominate. Romney is a RINO.

dogsoldier on December 30, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Indeed, it’s the most intelligent post that ‘lady’ has made in days.

Dark-Star on December 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

DarkCurrent is still waiting on his sammich…

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM

CCRWM on December 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I hope you feel better now. LOL*

My goodness, I’m pro-choice. I don’t vote on that issue in the least.

I don’t think I’m evil. My goodness, that term I reserve for sociopathic killers, etc.

I personally think I’m moderate on most issues. I think that’s subject to criticism.

However, labeling us “evil” puts the poster in the position of far, far, far, far, right nutso category.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Ann…this is what a campaign is for.

Make your case. Clear up misunderstandings. Connect with the electorate.

powerpro on December 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I presume this post is about Palin?

I think that the move to push back the liberal agenda is going to take a lot more than most people imagine.

Her polling predicts where the country is truly at.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

angryed on December 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM

That was the only “first kiss” in our time.

I agree. He was unknown. And people hated learning to know him.

They won’t go through that twice.

AnninCA on December 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

DarkCurrent is still waiting on his sammich…

ladyingray on December 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM

He can shift his beer gut and get one himself.

Dark-Star on January 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Conservatives 4 Palin are not conservative.

AshleyTKing on January 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM