Poll: Obamateurism of the Year, Second Chance Flight

posted at 8:05 am on December 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday’s choice was entirely too easy; over 82% of you chose Barack Obama’s decision to leave Bill Clinton in charge of a presidential press conference.  During the year, we saw runaway OOTW polls, too, but we also saw a few that were almost too close to call.  In our OOTY tradition (which means I did it last year too), we’ll give a few of the oh-so-close second choices from the weekly polls one last chance to get into the semifinals.  Each of these choices came within a whisker of winning the OOTW, and who knows?   Perhaps one lucky winner can compete for the OOTY, too:

Tomorrow, we start with the playoffs — the first semifinal flight.  It only gets tougher from here!  Also, I’ll still be looking for fresh OOTD candidates, even though I’ll likely hold off publishing them until after the first of the year.

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

“If my policies had worked, people would have more confidence in me.”

And if wishes were horses, even beggars would ride.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM

dadgum. this is getting hard.

*mulls choices* *scratches chin and wonders how much joe is left in the pot

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM

It’s all about me,me,me and i…

SHARPTOOTH on December 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Obama refers to himself 132 times in a speech.

I’ve never witnessed a better living example of a narcissist in my lifetime.

Keemo on December 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Obama refers to himself 132 times in a speech

His narcissism is the underlying cause for everything he does, and everything he says.

Yoop on December 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

tough call between #2 and #9…it’s always about the O

in the end, I had to go with I,I,I,I…..

cmsinaz on December 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Obama refers to himself 132 times in a speech

It is now a safe bet that if you pick up the new edition of Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary, and look up the word “Narcissist”, Obama’s picture will most likely be right next to the definition.

pilamaye on December 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Obama celebrates Freedom of the Press Act by refusing to take questions from reporters.

Gotta go with that.

JetBoy on December 28, 2010 at 8:25 AM

“We can absorb a terrorist attack.”

Idiot.

Tony737 on December 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM

If right now we had 5 percent unemployment instead of 9.6 percent unemployment, then people would have more confidence in those policy choices.

Never realizing or caring that it’s his policies choices that are keeping unemployment high. A true liberal: Living in a dream world that he wishes existed. As compared to the reality of what he has created. He can’t do anything useful, but expects adulation and praise for what might be. There’s a difference between a dreamer and a visionary, a big one.

Tommy_G on December 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

“We can absorb a terrorist attack.”

You first, Hopey.
Show the proles how it’s done.

VelvetElvis on December 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM

He fails to understand that it isn’t ‘confidence’ it is ‘competence’ – and his policies reflect the lack of the latter in not working. It may be great ‘neighborhood organizer’ rhetoric to espouse these policies, but they suck like an electrolux when put into place. For the policies to *work* he would have to be someone who didn’t believe in the current set of policies… and since he continues to want to push those old policies he will find them to continue not working for him. And be mystified at the continued lack of ‘confidence’, because he isn’t competent enough to identify the cause of his woes: himself.

ajacksonian on December 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

ajacksonian on December 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Nicely stated…

Keemo on December 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Says if his policies had worked, people would have more confidence in them

If anything sums up Liberalism in the 21st century, that line would be it. If one line could sum up the whole mind set being churned out of Poly Sci schools, schools of International Relations, African American Studies Departments, J-Schools, ect., that would be it.

That line is an entire way of life, for the chronically stupid.

MNHawk on December 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I picked the hypocrisy of going to Maine after my belle said to visit the gulf.

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Is that his “humility face”?

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

And if wishes were horses, even beggars would ride.
NeighborhoodCatLady on December 28, 2010

Made me have a Boehner moment, twas me Mums favorite sayin’.

Open The Door on December 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM

pilamaye on December 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

And in true narcissist fashion, he’d probably think it was right to have his picture in the dictionary.

PatMac on December 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Is that his “humility face”?

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

He has no humility. That’s his constipation face.

Key West Reader on December 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM

The ‘I’s’ have it

lukespapa on December 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Is that his “humility face”?

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM
He has no humility. That’s his constipation face.

Key West Reader on December 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I was thinking flatulation face.

darwin-t on December 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Members of congress need to read De Sousa’s book on o. Once you read it you will see his weakness and can drive the dims and o nuts. We are being talked to by his fathers ghost, since we know that we can call it the BS that it is. Man never saw or did anything to the end so all he does is dream.
We on the other hand can act,the tea party is not something that community organizers understand, because community organizers only prey on the dependent not the independent,ornery, free thinking American.
Our American Dream is alive, well and being hamstrung by DC denizens who still do not get it.

Col.John Wm. Reed on December 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I still haven’t gotten over the snub of the Boy Scouts. On their 100th Anniversary.

Cindy Munford on December 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM

“We can absorb a terrorist attack.”

But he can’t.

SlaveDog on December 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Cindy Munford on December 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I picked that one too

Key West Reader on December 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, and me.

ss396 on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

A friend at work used to have a favorite phrase, usually applied to oil and gas exploration projects:

“It was a great idea, and if it had worked, it would have been even better!”

“E for effort” in government policies = “Fail”

iurockhead on December 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM

If there were ever a day for an “All Of The Above” bubble, this is it.

Captain Scarlet on December 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM

absorb a terrorist attack. As if that is some moisturizer. Crappy thought process. Even dangerous. I feel SAFE.

antisocial on December 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM

ss396 on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Perfectly stated, though, darn it, all the choices on the list are so, well, fitting for The One. But the “I’s” have it!!!

chai on December 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Absorb a terrorist attack is my choice. The others are pretty bad but only demonstrate his conceit. This one shows his total lack of care for even one American life.
“Absorb an attack”…as Scrooge said, “if they’d rather die, then they better do so and decrease the surplus population.”

Deanna on December 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Cue the Toby Keith song, I wanna talk about me.

dthorny on December 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Tough choice, they’re all good examples of Teh One’s arrogance, incompetence, and narcissism. But I had to go with:

“We can absorb a terrorist attack.”

It really shows not only how little regard he has for the “little people” but also that he does not take our national security seriously at all.

UltimateBob on December 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM

But enough about me. Let’s talk about me!

backwoods conservative on December 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM

“We can absorb a terrorist attack.”

That must be what Janet told him. Its her strategy for terrorist attacks – “absorb them”.

mph on December 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Personally, I recognized that the Gulf Oil Spill was his Katrina early on, and the hypocrisy of saying the “little people” should vacay there while he and Moo enjoy another region’s amenities was the height of O-pocrisy.

However, all of the others are solid choices, too!

Mutnodjmet on December 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I think it takes a humongous pair to put words in Jesus’ mouth!

CCRWM on December 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Chris Matthews: “Birther” ???

“Why has the president himself not demanded they put out the original documents?” Matthews wonders.

“If it exists, why not put it out?” Chris Matthews asks.

J_Crater on December 28, 2010 at 11:22 AM

UN report: I’m with the 3% who voted for the UN report, because I give added weight to international disgrace.

Sowell Disciple on December 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I’ve never witnessed a better living example of a narcissist in my lifetime.

Keemo on December 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

And you never will, ever again.

He’s clinically NPD. Pls. click on symptoms.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Difficult choices…but I had to go with “*We can absorb a terrorist attack.” …. Who is this “We” ? sure as hell wasn’t anyone in or had friends/relatives in New York city on 9/11.

philly_PA on December 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Says if his policies had worked, people would have more confidence in them.

Because Obama is the smartest president evah.

Terrie on December 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I have to finally get past the denial phase and just plain admit it–choosing Obamateurisms of the [insert unit of time here] are harder than my Theory of Computation class was…

For year-end entertainment and viewing pleasure of any and all HA geeks: Downfall does NP hard.

bandarlog on December 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

#2 #3 and #7,

toss up……….

RealMc on December 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM

The last one. Just so perfect for him.

RedNewEnglander on December 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Keemo on December 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Dangerously so. Pathological imo.

FireBlogger on December 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM