Ed Rendell: Postponing the Eagles game over snow means we are now a nation of wusses; Update: More wuss video added!

posted at 9:38 pm on December 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

I haven’t a clue why NBC would devote three minutes to this on its flagship news broadcast — slow news day plus free promo for tonight’s Eagles/Vikings game, I guess — but this guy’s about to become the most popular Democrat in America among Republicans. When was the last time a prominent liberal, even of the blue-collar center-left variety, lamented the public’s reluctance to take risks and assume personal responsibility for the outcome? By the third minute, I half-expected him to open a beer and take a swig while Brian Williams was asking him a question. Good lord.

Exit question one: Is this guy really a Democrat, or is he a “Democrat” the way Mickey Kaus is a “Democrat”? Exit question two: Dude, fusion ticket — Christie/Rendell 2012?

Update: Man, he’s not holding back:

“If this was in China, do you think the Chinese would have called off the game?” Mr Rendell said.

“The people would have been marching down to the stadium. They would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Update: I missed the Factor tonight, but luckily FNC has posted the video of the opening segment. Alas, my friends — it seems we are indeed a nation of wusses.

Comments

Come on Ap… sheesh.

BKeyser on December 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Nah, Joe Manchin is still our favorite DINO.

Terrie on December 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Yes, the pussification of America is nearly complete, but it’s kind of ironic to hear that from a Democrat.

toliver on December 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Getting to sound like admittance to his own party!. HAA

hawkman on December 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

It takes a certain kind of gall for a Dem to complain about America turning into wussies.

Tony737 on December 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

What he needs are NYC sanitation workers, under the direction and control of Mayor Bloomberg, to clear the way to the stadium.

MaiDee on December 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

we are now a nation of wussies

“My work here is done.”

“Mission accomplished.”

Tony737 on December 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Takes one to know one Ed You stay classy

jaboba on December 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

…. if only he’d been holding a rifle, wearing a cowboy hat and taken a shot at milk jug.

BowHuntingTexas on December 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I’ve always thought that Gov. Rendell is one of the saner Democrats. Damning with faint praise. I’m pretty sure that the NFL isn’t a true reflection of the U.S.. He just doesn’t want the Eagles to have to play on Tuesday and than again on Sunday.

Cindy Munford on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Alas, my friends — it seems we are indeed a nation of wusses.

BS

ted c on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I once thought Rendell was a stand up guy, but when push comes to shove, Rendell falls inline with liberal policies and 99.8% of liberal policies are bad.

A Christie/Rendell ticket is like saying the New York Giants live in New York, and the Flyers live in Pennsylvania.

Kini on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

he is just trying to start his rahabilitation early. He is a far left Dem who will be out of a job very soon!

bluemarlin on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Tony737 on December 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Careful there fella, or I’ll scratch your eyes out.

Kini on December 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

It’s a football game >.> It isn’t that significant.

>.> These people insecure about the manliness of the nation due to the delay of a football game due to weather need a reality check, stat.

It just isn’t that bloody important.

KinleyArdal on December 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

The body rots from the head.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM

You’re right Ed. You know what we need? I government program to teach us not to be wusses! That’s what we need.

Caper29 on December 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM

99 weeks paid NOT TO WORK will remove the pioneer spirit every time Governor Rendell. You and your party are the wussifiers in chief.

bbh on December 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

We’re not a nation of wusses but there are scattered groups of Americans who would scream like children if they ever had to change a flat tire.

As for the Chinese, they would have marched a few thousand People’s Snow Removal Volunteers down to the stadium and removed the snow with tea cups if necessary, dressed in nothing more than shorts and sandals.

Bishop on December 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I mean if this had happened in Tennessee or Carolina or somewhere less prepared for such weather… I completely understand. But Philly for God sake. They get what? like 20 feet a year or something?

Next thing ya know they’ll be postponing games in Green Bay because it’s too damn cold.

Brad on December 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Whats funny is the NFL followed the State of Pennsylvania’s lead because they closed the roads/freeways/highway before they called the game.

So who’s the wussy GOVERNOR RENDELL?

portlandon on December 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Did you see Rendell’s special seat, reserved for “non-wusses” at tonight’s game?

OxyCon on December 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM

That Leslie Marshall doesn’t get the analogy btw. wussies and the snow is incredible.

So long as Mr. Rendell doesn’t run with Bloomberg he’ll be fine.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Still find it unreal the game was postponed. But alas, what’s done is done.

Kind of ironic…when the NFL wanted to keep scheduled games on the Sunday following the 9/11 attacks. It was only when teams, like my Jetties, who declared they absolutely would not play that the NFL agreed. But for snow, sure! Game postponed!

JetBoy on December 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Seat reserved for non-wussies!

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Brad on December 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

The NFL should postpone games in Wisconsin forever. Because it’s Wisconsin.

Bishop on December 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

No, the NFL has descended into wussdom beginning with the ‘in the grasp’ rule, a downward spiral since.

darwin-t on December 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Just because football is a wussy sport is no reason to indict the entire nation.

FloatingRock on December 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Palin/Rendell

huckleberryfriend on December 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I’ve cut Rendell a little slack forth past decade, because he was the first major Democrat to tell Al Gore to give it up after the Supreme Court ruling in December of 2000. But had the game been played on Sunday night and the next day saw stories of “Post-Game Nightmare”, “Hundreds Left Snowbound After Eagles-Vikings Game” you know Rendell wouldn’t be out there telling the fans to suck it up and deal with a little snow, or they should have brought blankets and liquids since they knew there would be a chance they’d get marooned on I-95.

jon1979 on December 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Looks like Obama jinxed Michael Vick. Figures.

JammieWearingFool on December 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Rendell is a Democrat, believe me. I just had the opportunity to drive on his potholed highways in PA, while he pissed away money on social programs that don’t work.

simkeith on December 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Even a blind DemoRAT finds a nut every now and then.

angryed on December 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I never agree with Rendell. Politically , ideologically. But I have to agree with him on this one. America is becoming a bunch of wussies, who feel entitled to everything, and anything.

capejasmine on December 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Funny talk from a guvna who is a complete wuss when it comes to law abiding citizens owning firearms.

jamarkennedy on December 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Ed Spendell is a capital D Democrat. He never met a tax he didn’t like.

vermillionsky on December 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Democrats have been suing this nation into wussification for 5 decades, Ed.

mankai on December 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Phil Gramm, just a few years ago, lamented that the US was becoming a nation of whiners. As I recall, he was criticized by the left for that statement.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 29, 2010 at 1:02 AM

He’s right. Listening to the Tea Party going on about the hardship of high taxes which aren’t high and assorted bitching about airport security (how dare they search me) and then the shrieking over having to shower in thesame area as a gay person.

He’s right.

lexhamfox on December 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Major Pussy, Brian Williams, says Good-Bye to Rendell and urges him to be careful with all of those “dangerous footballs” flying around.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM

The term “wussification” is indicative of the pussification of America.

pc on December 29, 2010 at 1:22 AM

simkeith on December 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

sorry but Pa roads have always been bad, I lived in the Philadelphia area in the early 80′s and the streets were really really bad, parts of I76 were usually at the top of the worst roads in America, some of the local roads were extremely bad, since the local pols would pass resolutions making the state responsible for the road even though the road should be county or township responsibilities.

RonK on December 29, 2010 at 2:15 AM

They lost! Thats all I care about. They day they hired Vick, I threw away my son’s Eagle cap and jersey. What they did was unforgivable.

lonestar1 on December 29, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Mike Damone said, … “wuss”, part wimp, part pussy…

So… wuss must be reserved “only” for Teh One!

Rendell is really a chronic blasphemer.

TheAlamos on December 29, 2010 at 4:56 AM

AP, since you don’t live in PA I’ll give you a pass on this, but anyone here in PA knows that fast Eddie WORSHIPS the Eagles. That’s the ONLY reason he’s complaining.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM

My gosh, I was expecting him to suddenly rip off his shirt and flex his pecs at the camera while saying in an Austrian accent <em>”YOU HAVE ALL TURNED INTO A NATION OF SIMPY WIMPY GIRLIE-MEN!!!!”

pilamaye on December 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Rendell is a Democrat, the party that helped foster the condition he whines about.

zoyclem on December 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM

I don’t think it helped Mr. Vick to be in the news this week. For his own glory, Obama brought back all the negatives of Mr. Vick back into the public eye.

Cindy Munford on December 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on December 29, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Exactly!

- – - – - – - – -

It still amazes me that I actually survived childhood without bike helmets, fast food and lawn darts.

tru2tx on December 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Let’s be honest here. Postponing this game was not about everyone being “wussies”. This was about public relations for the NFL and the Philadelphia Eagles. The last time there was this much snow at a home game in Philadelphia, the result ws this.

The NFL did not want to give Eagles fans the opportunity to embarrass the league again. If this game was to be played in Pittsburgh or Baltimore, it would not have been postponed. If this game was scheduled for Foxboro or even the Meadowlands, it would not have been postponed. Snow games like this have been played in Chicago, Denver and Green Bay. The difference is the Eagles fans (or more properly, the reputation of the Eagles fans). If the game had been played, the headlines would probably be about the injuries caused to fans getting to the game and the injuries caused by fans to other fans and players at the game.

Michael K. on December 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Cindy Munford on December 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Ditto, I find it hard to dislike Rendell.

Unfortunately, he’s become an aberrational archetype within the Democrats.

roy_batty on December 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM

This coming from the same party who tells us we’re too stupid to know what to eat and drink, outlawed dodge ball and tag in schools and all the other nanny-isms that plague our society. All thanks to the “progressives”. Bloomberg is no exception. He told everyone on tv to stay home, then listed all the great things in NYC that were up and running (museums, broadway, this business, that business. Well, mayor, which is it? Stay home or go to the museum. I’m confused.

RonD504 on December 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

It just isn’t that bloody important.

KinleyArdal on December 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

43 years ago in the Ice Bowl, they played with wind chills in the negative 30′s. It is still the coldest game in NFL history. Refs couldn’t use their whistles – they froze to their lips. The field was frozen solid and as slick as ice; hell, it was ice. There was also a fair amount of snow around.

You’re right that in the grand scheme of things, this isn’t really that important – in the right context. It isn’t important as far as national security goes. It doesn’t really effect space exploration. The Supreme Court isn’t going to rule on its significance. In a myriad of things, it isn’t that important.

But the whole thing is illustrative. It does show how far we as a culture have fallen.

Football is a great sport. One of the things which made it great was the fact that is was played everywhere, in all sorts of filed conditions, all kinds of weather. Some of the best games in history have been knock down, drag outs played in the mud of Three Rivers Stadium or the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

Football has become almost sterile. Artificial turf. Huge, domed, climate controlled facilities. Players being fined and removed from games for doing what they are supposed to do – tackle an opponent. Penalties for excessive celebration after scoring a touchdown have pushed players to ‘celebrate’ everything they do, “Look at me as I pump my chest as I tackled the running back! I did what I’m supposed to do! See me roar!”

As was stated by another commenter after 9/11 it was a moral imperative for the NFL to have their games as scheduled, though the rubble at the WTC was still smoldering and we still didn’t know if we were safe. Yet a decade later we’re more concerned about ‘safety’ from seven inches of snow.

It isn’t really important in the grand scheme of things. But it is important to those who think we’ve lost something as a culture and as a people

catmman on December 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I’m wondering what the headline would be, if the Philly first responders where overwhelmed rescuing a couple thousand of drunken tailgate heroes from the blizzard?

bloviator on December 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

catmman on December 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Not to detract from your point, but to me, it’s just a game. If I were in charge, I’d cancel at the drop of a hat just in case someone might be hurt. I realize we didn’t do things that way in the past, but we do have more lawyers and more frivolous lawsuits these days. They play so few games a year that rescheduling wouldn’t be that big of a deal anyway (as far as I’m concerned).

Esthier on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM

How much did Fast Eddie have on the game? He must have lost big. He’s whining way too much for this to be about chickifacation issues. Eddie loves to spend him some money on him!

BetseyRoss on December 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM

The bill [vetoed by Rendell] would permit law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker not only in their homes but also any places outside of their home where they have a legal right to be.

What’s that about wussifying America Mr Rendell…

And I don’t think the pioneers of this country were coming here to watch a football game (or any game.)

Keith_Indy on December 29, 2010 at 3:01 PM