Poll: Romney down 31 points in Florida since March

posted at 6:28 pm on December 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

I usually don’t write about single-state 2012 polls, but hoo boy. He was at 52 percent in March, more than 30 points ahead of Huckabee, and now? 21 percent, two points behind Huck. What happened? PPP’s theory:

Why has Romney fallen so far? I think part of the reason he polled so well earlier in the year is that he was the anti-Palin. Palin’s favorability numbers with GOP voters in Florida are a good deal worse than they are most places and Romney did well in those earlier surveys as one of the few named alternatives to her. As more response options were provided in later polls the anti-Palin sentiment was diffused across several candidates and Romney’s mile wide but inch deep support declined further and further and further to where it is now.

Romney’s chances at the Republican nomination really might be contingent on a small pool of candidates running- the more ‘reasonable’ folks there are in the mix the worse Romney does because he doesn’t have a real solid base of support. If there are 5 ‘competent’ folks who have been Governors or Senators running it may be hard for any of them to break out as a strong alternative to Palin should she make the race.

An important caveat: The March poll was based on a hypothetical three-way race. In July they re-polled it with Gingrich in the mix and Mitt’s numbers collapsed from 52 percent to 31, with Newt picking up 23 percent. Disastrous, right? Maybe not: The takeaway from these numbers, I think, is that Florida’s ripe for the picking by whichever centrist candidate is left standing after the Iowa/New Hampshire/Nevada/South Carolina gauntlet. Huckabee and Palin, the two most prominent social cons in the race, have been stuck below 40 percent combined since PPP started polling the state earlier this year. If Romney manages to win New Hampshire and Nevada, say, that should clear out the rest of the centrist/managerial candidates like Gingrich by the time Florida rolls around and leave him as the only alternative to whichever social conservative emerges from Iowa and South Carolina. This is Romney’s great weakness but potentially also his great strength — as Frum noted last month, his support derives chiefly from him being a bland but acceptable alternative to more vibrant candidates whom many primary voters dislike. (E.g., Romney would, I expect, handily win a Hot Air primary head to head against Huckabee on the Anyone But Huck platform.) By the time he gets to Florida, the die will already have been cast. If he wins the Generic Competent Electable Guy mini-primary early on between him, Newt, Pawlenty, Daniels, and Thune, he’s well positioned to win Florida notwithstanding his polling right now. Which, of course, explains why Palin supporters are hoping for a centrist stalking horse to emerge and peel votes away from Romney.

Exit question: What happens if neither Palin nor Huckabee nor Pence runs? Bill Kristol and Peggy Noonan both speculated yesterday that she’ll sit this one out; Pence is reportedly more interested in running for governor, and rumors have been swirling for a week that Huck is keen on sticking with TV. Would Gingrich become the social con choice in that case? Given how much support he bleeds from Romney as a “managerial” alternative, he’d be mighty formidable with the base behind him too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Too old.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM

4 months is too old?!
If anything, the electorate is even madder at Zero about the lame duck Congress than they were before.

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Palin’s numbers are flat among Indies. Still with 60% negative.

Another poll says 62% of Indies will never vote for Palin.

More bad news from Marist among Repubs and Republican leaning Indies.

More negative news

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

4 months is too old?!

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Three months old, actually. That’s too old, but yet repeating memes based on polls from 2009 is quite all right.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, but the number of Palin supporters is so small and insiginificant that you can just trash Palin all you want and call them mindless cultists and, well, if they turn out it won’t matter all that much since you’re going to win the moderates and independents. At least I think that’s how the strategy goes. It ought to work with the devastating effect of the McCain campaign. Good luck.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I never trashed anyone, nor have I called anyone mindless. These are words that generally come from her supporters directed at non-supporters. Therein lies the big difference.

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

She’s running moron, get used to it.

You read where Bristol made a killer deal on a 5 bedroom house in Arizona?

Seems as the kid knows how to wheel and deal. This is a $300,000 house she bought for a buck seventy-five. Plenty of room for mom and the rest of the family when the campaign starts.

gary4205 on December 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Oh great, another (potential) Presidential candidate with an expensive house. I don’t see any way this could backfire during the campaign.

Speedwagon82 on December 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Link please.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I must commend you. Very appropriate “handle.”

bw222 on December 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Yeah, right. Want me to tell you how many times I’ve been called a cultist or someone who has sexual fantasies about Palin or a conservative version of the O-bot or…?

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Jenfidel,

Here’s one from ABC/WaPo

Gallup poll

Here’s one from Marist

Only 7% of Independents that admire Palin (Gallup)

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Go to rasmussenreports.com and just read up and down the page and start clicking.
On almost any issue, Palin is on the side of the majority of Americans and 0bama isn’t.
And in most cases, she’s on the side of a large majority of Americans.

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

She has a 64% unfavorable rating among indies (Rasmussen). She is even down among women nationally (Rasmussen).

The majority of the country has more conservative views, but as with the 08 election….if they don’t like the messenger, the messenger will lose…no matter the viewpoint.

Nice cherry picking of Rasmussen BTW.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM

When did I ever say these things to you? Never, that’s when.

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Nice cherry picking of Rasmussen BTW.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Links?

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

And without those moderates and independents, Barry wins again.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM

and without the conservatives Barry wins again. the moderates had 12 years as POTUS. they screwed it up . it’s time to give the other 70% of the party a shot at the helm. the RINOs screwed up the entire freaking nation under bush the first and Bush the second.

unseen on December 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Nice cherry picking of Rasmussen BTW.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

???
Giving the main web address is “cherry picking?!?”

And if Sarah’s the only messenger giving the right message, Americans will like her, they’ll really like her.
Of that I have no doubt.

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I’m sorry, who’s cherry picking Rasmussen?

And she can’t have unfavorables as a presidential candidate because she isn’t running yet.

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I’m sorry, who’s cherry picking Rasmussen?

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I’m just wondering what poll that’s from, and when. Maybe ricky will provide us with a link.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Then she’ll lose. So what are you so worried about? Because you’re obviously very worried.

rrpjr on December 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I thought this thread was about Romney?

Can we just decide the nominee in a primary? That will be the ultimate poll. Once we clear that hurdle we will have a nominee to oppose Obama.

Then you get to decide if you want to vote for that nominee, vote for Obama, vote for the obligatory libertarian candidate, or stay home and not vote.

It’s not that complicated. We all have the right to exercise our one vote or not. If you don’t want to vote for Palin then don’t.

No one is going to make you do anything that you don’t want to do.

chief on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

And who benefits from a Romney collapse?

I think we know the answer to that question.

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Very interesting post!..:)

Dire Straits on December 27, 2010 at 10:32 PM

And who benefits from a Romney collapse?

I think we know the answer to that question.

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Hey, I could vote for Herman Cain as well. I’d have to learn a little more about him, but I’ve loved listening to him whenever I’ve gotten a chance to catch his fill-ins for Boortz.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

The weird thing (and I touch on this in the Spectator column) is how all the conservative pundits praise Herman to the sky — right before they dismiss any possibility that he could actually win. But I don’t look at campaigns and candidates that way. If you really like a candidate, why pay attention to the odds against him winning?

It’s more than a year until the Iowa caucuses. There’s no telling what might happen between now and then. But it is customary to say that there are only so many tickets out of Iowa — usually no more than four — and if Herman Cain could get one of those tickets, that would be a headline-making shocker for a candidate who didn’t begin the campaign on the Important Pundits’ list of the top-tier contenders. Such a boost could create momentum going into New Hampshire and South Carolina. After that the probabilities disappear into a fog of hypotheticals.

As long as the odds may be against Cain going all the way, I’m willing to bet he’ll outperform a competent-but-boring governor like Tim Pawlenty.

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I think the whole “electability” crap is usually used by people who don’t like a candidate but who are also afraid that he/she may actually win. I think Romney would have a tough time winning, but I’m not going to say outright that he’s unelectable. If Herman Cain does pick up steam, and if he’s as no-nonsense as he seems to be, we’ll be hearing how utterly unelectable he is as well.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Great column, but even better were some of the comments it generated, especially about the “race card”.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM

From all recent polling indications Romney is tanking as the public realizes more and more that he is just another RINO but with hair. I lived in MA when he was da gov and after he got elected he retired on the job. Didn’t help the state party at all, made sweetheart deals with the lawyers lobby and, oh yeah, passed Romneycare which is now bankrupting the state. I will work hard to see he never gets the nomination and only support him as a last resort against the current marxist in chief. Sarah in 2012. We need her.

shmendrick on December 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I certainly like Cain over RINOs Mitt and Huck. And while I like Palin a lot, I hope that she isn’t the nominee.

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I just read the article and comments as well. Many of the commenters said they’d work for him if he runs.

Cain is definitely someone to watch. I’ve been reading some pieces here and there about him the past few weeks, and I agree that he’s impressive. Haven’t listened to his radio show yet, but I plan on it.

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Ask Rasmussen.

Jenfidel on December 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Link please.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Here troll:

Rasmussen:

52% of Voters Say Their Views Are More Like Palin’s Than Obama’s

Hot Air:

Rasmussen: Voters feel closer to Palin than Obama, 52/40

A Time For Choosing:

Rasmussen: Most Voters Say Sarah Palin, Not Barack Obama, Represents Their Views

Not surprisingly, Republicans overwhelmingly feel Sarah represents them. More importantly, unaffiliated voters, independents, also feel Sarah represents them rather than Obama. The numbers on independents spell big trouble for the Obama regime, as they also feel Sarah Palin represents them, in huge numbers.

gary4205 on December 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM

besser tot als rot on December 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Watch your back friend.
That innocuous comment will get you verbally tarred and feathered in these parts.

Hey Knuck & anXdem: I see you guys have been busy.
I’ve been getting defriended by the birther/truther who introduced me to my husband and watching a HA friend spar with my lefty cousin-in-law over a post I put up on FB.

Since this is a Romney thread I’ll say that I voted for him over McCain in the Illinois primary in 2008. I would rather not vote for him again…and no…Gov. Palin(while a good conservative)…is NOT the answer.
Thank you.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Speedwagon82 on December 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Since when is $175,000 considered “expensive” for a house, RomneyBot? That’s kind of the median price for a nice house.

The home ORIGINALLY sold for $300,000 and the owners went t!ts up and lost it. Someone else bought it on the cheap and flipped it on the cheap.

BTW BRISTOL bought the house [PAID CASH] not mom.

I know you are an insane suffer of PDS, buy O-M-G could you BE more pathetic?

How many multi-million dollar homes does Willard have these days?

gary4205 on December 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Yes, that she’ll get the nomination, because she’ll be smoked in the general.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Hey, annoyinglittle. Being defriended sounds a bit harsh. Some people are so silly these days.

As for Mittens, I live next door to MA, and I remember all the moans and groans from Mass folks as he implemented the infamous Romneycare. It wasn’t pretty.

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Yes, that she’ll get the nomination, because she’ll be smoked in the general.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM

If she’s so widely hated, how is she ever going to get out of the primaries? You’re not afraid she’ll be “smoked” at all. I have a feeling Romney would be “smoked”, but the thought of his running doesn’t put me into a cold sweat.

ddrintn on December 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Short of an all out Rino, we need a Republican president and senate to over turn Obamacare. The Rino will learn via the McCain treatment that the press isn’t really his friend, they never were. We, the little people will just have to make sure we elect enough conservative hardasses to keep the candyass Rino in line. That is the just in case we get an idiot Rino candidate scenario!

There I said it!

Africanus on December 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Get real. Cain is a rooty-boot, at best. Did you hear him on Greta the other night?

No way in hell he can be President. He doesn’t have a drop of experience in government. Not a drop. Just because he can run a company doesn’t mean he can govern. Hell, Mitt Romney, the topic of this thread is a prime example of that. He has a rep as a “CEO” but he couldn’t have stunk worse as Governor if he’d hire consultants to HELP him suck worse.

Cain comes off as another snake oil salesman.

He told Greta he could be President because he ran for the Senate once. He said he lost in the primary but it was a “close second” and he “almost” forced a run-off.

No it wasn’t and no he didn’t. The guy got shellacked.

He’s another slick talker with nothing to offer. An embarrassment.

You guys need to grow up and stop chasing these flavor of the moment nobodies. We need serious leadership from someone who has a SERIOUS RECORD of serious leadership. We need a Commander-in-Chief not some pizza guy turned talk show host with an overinflated opinion of himself. We already have a Narcissist-in-Chief now.

So far there is only one serious person on the horizon, and it AIN’T Herman Cain!

gary4205 on December 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Mittens, Huck and Palin are BAD NEWS. The gruesome threesome that guarantee a loss to Obama.

rickyricardo on December 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

He’s a truther, birther(I can be friends with birthers but not truthers), and has been pushing articles about autism ‘cure’ research. He thinks that I WANT to be cured of my autism. I don’t…and he wouldn’t let it alone.
though I’ve known him since I was 10 finding out that he’s an ‘Andrew Napolitano’-type truther was it for me.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I really don’t care about polls.

In the primaries, I’ll vote with my principles and conscience.

The one that carries my principles and political beliefs will get my money, support and vote.

My candidate may win or lose. As long as he/she remains with her principles, I will always be thankful to him/her for taking the grand sacrifice and courage to fight for my principles.

Good luck to everyone.

TheAlamos on December 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM

“A slim 8 percent of all registered voters say they would definitely vote for Palin for president, while 31 percent say they would consider doing so. Fully 60 percent say they definitely would not. Among all Americans, 59 percent say they would not vote for her, up from 53 percent in November 2009.”

Even among Republicans, Palin has detractors, with 29 percent saying they would definitely not back her candidacy.

Palin guarantees a McGovernesque landslide for Obama.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Palin guarantees a McGovernesque landslide for Obama.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM

So say you…and?

Let her run and let’s find out who’s right.

Jenfidel on December 28, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Let her run and let’s find out who’s right.

Wrong.

29 per cent of Republicans won’t vote for her in a general election.

She’s an huge anchor if she runs but would be most effective rallying the troops outside the game.

If she runs, she’s becomes a better looking Christine O’Donnell. Same result.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM

If she runs, she’s becomes a better looking Christine O’Donnell. Same result.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM

No. No. No.
That’s just your opinion.
There are million of Americans who feel just the opposite.
If not her, then it must be someone who’s just as conservative as she is and I see no alternatives.

And if you can’t see that she isn’t Christine O’Donnell because she has 20 year track record in public office (which Christine did not) and no personal baggage (like CO’D did), you’re just being willfully blind.

Jenfidel on December 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM

If she runs, she’s becomes a better looking Christine O’Donnell. Same result.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM

BTW, Sarah didn’t endorse Christine until almost the day before the primary…and she only did so because O’Donnell was being mercilessly attacked by the MSM because she was a conservative woman.
O’Donnell would have made as good a Senator as Coons or Al Franken and probably been a whole lot better.

Palin also endorsed over 50 other Republican candidates who won their races, including Kelly Ayotte in NH and Rand Paul in KY for the Senate.

Jenfidel on December 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM

If she runs, she’s becomes a better looking Christine O’Donnell. Same result.

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Wow, Ricky. You are so smart and sure of yourself in Dec. 2010. And you have lots of links to back it up. Great job..you have really done your homework. So why don’t we just decide now that Palin shouldn’t be in it. Forget the primaries, the debates, the endorsements from other candidates who decide not to run. She can’t do it, she shouldn’t do it, says Ricky Ricardo. Thanks for the advice ricky, I am sure Palin is sitting on the edge of her seat waiting for your next words of wisdom.

Dan Pet on December 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

anXdem on December 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

And what part of NE are you in? I’m in NH, but I lived in MA for a long time. When I moved to NH it was like moving back into the fifties. We kicked the dems out big time in the last election. All they got left is the gov and one Sen. We got the state legislature, the Executive Council, the two Congressional Reps and the new Sen. Ayotte. Looks like Maine may be coming around too.

shmendrick on December 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Looks like Maine may be coming around too.

shmendrick on December 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM

From your keyboard to God’s ears..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2010 at 1:11 AM

It seems according to people like Ricky, Obama is a shoe in no matter who we run. Just ask any liberal and he will tell ya, no one can even come close.

Who to run!

Sarah, a guaranteed Obama LANDSLIDE victory
Romney, Conservatives hate mormons and Obama reigns supreme
Huckster, white christian hick cant beat Hope n Change!
Thune, Obama will eat his lunch
Daniels, who? That nobody can stand up to THAT ONE!
Gingrich, the cheater in chief, Obama the family man wins.
Barbour, southern racist hick against the first black president to serve two terms, Obama wins historical second term.

It seems we can’t run anyone against Obama according to naysayers, I guess he wins by default. We should just
give up now!

Africanus on December 28, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Didn’t Maine elect a GOP gov? And I think the Repubs made some headway in the state legislature too. So next time around perhaps we can put some primary pressure on the Maine RINO’s. Certainly Collins and Snowe have been an embarassment. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a more conservative RINO at least or a hard core fiscal conservative at best.

shmendrick on December 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM

And who benefits from a Romney collapse?

I think we know the answer to that question.

The Other McCain on December 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Yep, we do. His children’s inheritence…

Gohawgs on December 28, 2010 at 2:53 AM

And I see the Christmas truce seems to be over…The gang (and their Beta Male) are back at it. I don’t know if I can stay up late enough to see the response…

Gohawgs on December 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM

This just in…”Dapper Dan Hair Cream stock down 31 points. Now a two week wait on orders placed today”…

Gohawgs on December 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM

The takeaway from these numbers, I think, is that Florida’s ripe for the picking by whichever centrist candidate is left standing…Ap

Obviously
you don’t know very much about Florida Voters!
You’re not alone though, neither did Charlie Crist,
Alan Grayson, Alex Sink, Ron Klien, etc etc etc!

GO WEST!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on December 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM

gary4205, just because I think Palin will lose against Obama doesn’t mean I like Romney. And spare me your semantics. Bristol is a 19 year old high school dropout. She ain’t buying a house by herself. Its all Sarah’s money.

Speedwagon82 on December 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM

There will be plenty of runners from whom to choose. Might look a little like the opening of the Boston Marathon.

beatcanvas on December 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM

The problem is that they’ll all start the race on the right side of the road, but if they cross the finish line first, they’ll move to the left. The GOP makes a poor house dog -it only barks after you shoot the intruder, then it comes running over with its tail wagging expecting a treat and a pat on the head for doing a good job. Do the dog a favor and have it “put away” and buy a pit bull or two.

Don L on December 28, 2010 at 7:11 AM

In other news, RINOs continue to be surprised when other RINOs are being rejected.

Levinite on December 28, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Romney has fizzled out . . . the Republican Party needs to find a viable candidate, quickly.

rplat on December 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Huckabee FTW!!!

keepinitreal on December 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

james23 on December 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Romney would be a decent chief executive. Unfortunately, he sponsored an authoritarian health care plan in Massachusetts and thinks love means never having to say you’re sorry about the debacle it has become.

Romney is unelectable.

CatoRenasci on December 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Romney is almost identical to Crist as a politcal figure. It’s no wonder Fl. rejects him.

They get him, totally.

AnninCA on December 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

The reality is that Palin appeals to the base. Until there’s a candidate that both embraces that as well as expands that to include more moderates, there is nobody.

That is the editorial that has yet to be written.

AnninCA on December 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

BUT, I still say, Romney is the true unelectable guy, not Palin.

Palin turns off the far-left base. So? I’m no so sure she can’t still turn that into a medal of honor.

Romney, however, is like Crist. He’s the old-style GOP. He’s not going to garner a single new vote, and nobody will really trust him much.

He’s the ultimate insider guy. And worse? He’s the insider of a old party that most moderates still poll as being responsbile for the depression.

He’s honestly not electable. He also didn’t do anything to appeal to those who might have respected him for courage. The guy has chosen the turtle approach. And he clearly is hoping that just waiting on the GOP to elect him because it’s “his turn” is going to work.

Hello. Everything has changed.

AnninCA on December 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM

November 2012 is a long way off. Palin has been excoriated by the msm relentlessly. Many people, maybe most people, just aren’t that into politics and don’t pay much attention unless something grabs them. As they half pay attention to the evening news all they have heard are disparaging snarky remarks about Palin this and Palin that. It’s not surprising that she has high negatives at this point. But here’s the important data: a majority see her values as more like their own than 0′s. As these people who only pay attention to the news sometimes are forced to hear about Sarah through the election coverage, I suspect more will come to think more positively of her. Put her then in a choice between her and the 0 and I think she will look like the much better alternative to most people.

If there’s a debate, I would expect it to be no contest. Sarah would trounce 0. He’s not good without his teleprompter to think for him and put words in his little puppet mouth. She, on the other hand, is used to thinking on her feet and giving a press conference while processing fish. She has been taking him to school for the last two years and driving each issue’s debate. This will only pick up if they are pitted against each other in the election. She is the only one with the smarts and the guts to say what needs to be said and to take all the heat the left can muster and not be detered. She is their worst nightmare and they know it. They said all the same things about Reagan and he killed ‘em anyway. So to paraphrase Ronnie, “Here we go again!”

shmendrick on December 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Huckabee FTW!!!

keepinitreal on December 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

H*LL NO!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM

rickyricardo on December 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM

That poll is ridiculous and I said so at the time. A minimum of 7% of Republicans who said they wouldn’t ever back Palin still picked her over Obama heads-up.

alwaysfiredup on December 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

They get him, totally.

AnninCA on December 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

What a sheep you are to the hotair Romney meme to even compare the two.

PrezHussein on December 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM

“The Anybody But Palin crowd is starting to feel the pressure. Look for the batsignal to go out for Jeb Bush sometime in 2011.

james23 on December 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM”

I liked Jeb Bush, but I must say we all need to put an end to the Political Dynasties! He lost his shine after supporting Shamnesty, not a chance.

Africanus on December 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM

They get him, totally.

AnninCA on December 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Romney is nothing like Crist but thanks for playing anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Romney had a chance in ’08, but he got tripped up on the Mormon issue, and the public’s revulsion at ObamaCare will turn against Romney, who enacted something similar for his state.

Huckabee sounded good as a “preacher” back in ’08, but he’s got baggage wider than his waistline, and probably couldn’t beat Obama.

Sarah Palin got off to a great start in ’08, then flubbed the interviews with Charlie Rose and Katie Couric, and too many independent voters have branded her as “stupid” despite everything else she has done since then. She could still be a kingmaker, but not a queen.

We need new blood, not a FORMER Governor and FORMER Presidential candidate. Most successful Presidential candidates have been Governors (Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush 43), so we need to look for a Governor who has DONE something. Chris Christie? Not very conservative on some issues, but he could win NJ and PA. Mitch Daniels? Not very charismatic, but in an election about budgets and spending, he has a stellar record. Bobby Jindal? A little young yet, but brilliant and really kicked @$$ on the oil spill. Jeb Bush? Very competent, and would definitely win Florida, but there’s that last name. And what about Rick Perry? Three-term Governor of the second-largest and fastest-growing State in the Union, with the lowest unemployment rate, and definitely in command of energy issues.

All those pollsters only looking at Mitt PalinBee are missing the next President of the United States. There are now 29 CURRENT (not former) Republican Governors–one of THEM will be the next President.

Steve Z on December 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM