Napolitano: Patdowns will continue until morale improves, or something

posted at 11:50 am on December 27, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In yesterday’s State of the Union interview on CNN, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano rejected the idea of halting or seriously curtailing the enhanced patdowns launched a few weeks ago. Despite political pressures brought on by irate travelers during the holiday season, Napolitano said the administration would hold its ground and continue to roll out more scanner devices as well as expand the patdown regimen:

When asked on CNN’s “State of the Union” about the prospect of altering the pat-down technique, Napolitano said: “Not for the foreseeable future.”

“We’re always looking to improve systems and so forth. But the new technology, the pat downs, is just objectively safer for our traveling public,” Napolitano said in an interview aired Sunday. She noted that the pat-down procedures are coupled with greater use of full-body scanners and broader sharing of information about passengers prior to travel.

“There’s a whole kind of intel-based system that’s going on and then we get to the actual gate,” Napolitano said, claiming widespread improvement of air security one year after the attempt to blow up a Northwest plane flying from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas in 2009.

“Everything is objectively better than it was one year ago, particularly in the aviation environment,” she declared.

Objectively better? How so? Other than the Christmas Day bomber, nothing much has changed except the patdowns and scanners — which arrived months after the attempt to blow up the Northwest flight. Prior to that failure of security, it had been seven years since a terrorist had an opportunity to attack a commercial jet in-flight, using the same explosive technology (PETN ignited by flame). If anything, the attack demonstrated that the supposedly streamlined intelligence community continues to have much the same problems as they did before the Congressionally-mandated reorganization begun in 2004 as a result of the 9/11 Commission’s recommendations.

Objectively speaking, we certainly haven’t improved. Subjectively speaking, we’ve managed to make air travel less attractive and given more power to petty bureaucrats at the security stations.

Speaking of the results of streamlining via the DNI structure, Napolitano defended James Clapper after his team failed to inform him of the arrests in the UK that busted an allegedly major terrorist ring, hours before he appeared on television.

CROWLEY: Let me ask you about DNI, James Clapper. A lot has been made about the fact that he did not know, several hours after the fact, of
the 12 arrests in Britain of suspected terrorists. How did he not know? How did that happen?

NAPOLITANO: Well, I think he’s been pretty up front about it. He had been working on the Hill on issues involving START and North Korea and
went into the interview before his briefer had a chance to brief him.

CROWLEY: — you just might be a little disconcerted and say well, I thought now we were all talking together and all of a sudden the –
the DNI does not know of a major terrorist bust in — in Britain.

NAPOLITANO: Well, let’s — let’s be fair. It — I knew. John Brennan knew. We also knew there was no connect that had been perceived to anything going on in the homeland and that we were in perfect connectivity with our — our colleagues in Britain.  So one of the things I think that should be very clear to the American people is that those of us in homeland security who needed to know, we knew.

Well, Homeland Security isn’t the org that needed to know.  The DNI and the National Intelligence Coordination Center (NICC) that the DNI runs is supposed to be the central clearinghouse for all intel, including that which comes from Europe.  The DNI should have that information before Napolitano and Brennan, in order to make sure that Homeland Security, the military, the CIA, and the NSA can work together to connect any dots that need connecting.  That’s the entire reason we have a DNI.

So, to be fair, something’s not working, and that has been obvious since the Christmas Day bombing attack attempt, if not since the Fort Hood shooting revealed Nidal Hasan’s connection to Anwar al-Awlaki.  Objectively speaking, we aren’t getting better.

Comments

Bobbing head mouthpiece.

Shy Guy on December 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I just don’t fly anyome. Every other option comes first. Screw these brain dead bureaucrats and their asininity.

chalons on December 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

“This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it. …”

NeoKong on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

American since 1980′s.

Foreign born non-citizens have more rights then Americans.

See Victor Davis Hanson, The Two Californias.

Click Here

Oil Can on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

So we’ll continue to molest our own women and children rather than risk offending an enemy that is already offended by our very existence.

CurtZHP on December 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

This stuff is a big WIN all around as far as liberals are concerned. Create a boat load of do nothing government jobs for cronies while at the same time harassing passengers to the point they stop flying which the greenies love. Next up is a permit to fly.

Rocks on December 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

The body scanners may be profitable for the companies and their lobbyists but they’re not even that effective, and their safety, especially with regard to proper operation and maintenance, is still unproven.

Next Big Sis is going to be having us groped in hotel lobbies and malls. I’m used to being screwed by the government but I hate putting up with all this foreplay.

Drained Brain on December 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Right/

Now get your behind in gear and close the border. Or do we have to wait for terrorists to cause a tragedy down there?

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

She sucked as AZ governor, and she still sucks as head of Homeland Security.

She’s consistent, I’ll give her that much.

AZCoyote on December 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I hate liberal socialist marxist commie feminazi bull-dikes.

ErinF on December 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Simply perfect example of an incompetent moron, and Odumbo’s incompetence in appointments. God forbid she ever addresses the problem and not the bandaid. If Odumbo gets another term, the country will not recover and the Republic will be lost.

ultracon on December 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Dear Janet,
Let me remind you not to be too smug. The playing field changes next week.

diogenes on December 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Coming soon — scanners for trains, buses, all government buildings, sports arenas, subways, schools, and random ‘safety inspection’ roadblocks.

You just can’t put a price on safety.

GnuBreed on December 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM

NeoKong on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

” You arrogant ass! You’ve killed us! “

bluemarlin on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Flew yesterday…what a joke…the terrorists, which are indistinguishible from elected democrats, have won.

Inanemergencydial on December 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM

More people will see this on Hot Air than saw it on CNN this weekend.

Good thing we replaced the Bush Administration with the Obama brain trust, isn’t it?

Once we get to the gate, we ignore all of that intel, in favor of a freakish combination of random checks and ‘hey, she’s hot, let’s frisk her’.

hawksruleva on December 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Of course. Why? They already blew the budget on this method, although it’s been dismissed as effective in other parts of the world.

We’ve now anted up.

AnninCA on December 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM

So does Janet get frisked every time she flies?

GarandFan on December 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Drained Brain on December 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

*snicker* Good one.

ultracon on December 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Silence, knave!

How dare you question the Shining Light, the All Powerful and All Knowing Munificent Big Sis?

Make sure that you arrive four hours before your next flight. Your next security screening will be extra thorough!

turfmann on December 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM

that’s got to be racist or something./ All of those petty bureaucrats are just tryin’ to put food on the table and fulfill Obama’s agenda to (literally) shakedown every w*** het***se**** person in the country at frequent intervals.

ted c on December 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM

” You arrogant ass! “

bluemarlin on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I could never understand what he said….thanks!

tommer74 on December 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM

chalons on December 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

The last time I got on a plane was to get from FT Riley, KS back home to Boston, MA. I re-packed all of my luggage that had been mailed back to me from Iraq. This luggage included several items that had been in my truck with me when we hit an IED, so it was all covered in explosives residue. I was in a wheel-chair at the time and when I went through screening they used a wipe-down test to search for explosives on my hands, feet, and leg brace. Of course the machine went wild and lit up like a christmas tree. The TSA guys all huddled up and came to me looking for an explanation why I would be covered in explosive residue. It took me a minute or two to realize what was going on, then I explained that I had just been handling all of my gear (it still smelled like smoke) and that was probably the reason. After another brief huddle, I was allowed to board.

This was almost exactly 5 years ago. In this instance, I believe common sense prevailed because I was obviously a soldier (high and tight haircuts are not the norm around large military bases) and I also had a doctor’s note describing my condition. I don’t think that this scenario would play out the same at any airport in America today. I will never fly again, most likely. I cannot imagine any reason why I would until common sense re-assert itself.

My point is, common sense won the day, but it didn’t make much sense in the first place to select a guy like me for extra screening to begin with. I still have the backpack that was in my truck, I should try and get it through security as a carry-on, LOL. The thing is full of holes and covered in residue. It would definatly be the beginning of a long and interesting conversation.

I won’t be flying anywhere in this environment though.

Mord on December 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

They seriously need to get Napolitano out of that position and I mean ASAP!

Either that, or have all the airports replace these TSA thugs with trained security agents who can do the same job, but with a little more compassion and understanding.

pilamaye on December 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I’m sure it’s just a ‘failure of messaging’ but, the problem I’ve got is that I honestly don’t think this makes us safer.

They keep referring to the Christmas bomber with the unstated implication being that these new regulations make us safer because underwear bombers won’t be able to get on planes any longer. However, from what I’ve read, it appears that the body scanners and pat downs won’t really save us from that, especially if anyone puts the chems in a body cavity instead of in their undies.

If it doesn’t do a better job of protecting us then it’s just political theater (and a personally violating form of it at that).

JadeNYU on December 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM

chalons on December 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I’m with you on that one. I had an argument with my husband about that. I told him that me and the kids will either drive or take the train back home this summer. I understand that he only has 2 weeks vacation so he can fly if he wants. I’m not going to subject me or the kids to the TSA touchy/feelie peep show.

mizflame98 on December 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Look out Janet. You have been a total blob for all the time you have been in your job for which you are totally unqualified. You have spent all of our money while doing unconstitutional things to us. Listen up, big girl! We aren’t putting up with it anymore. We are coming for you so you had better lawyer up–pronto! We aren’t waiting for the next election.

BetseyRoss on December 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Government Incrementalism

Like turning up the volume on your home stereo to 20 and the wife complains, you turn it down to 15, and all is well. Then you turn it up to 30 and she complains again, and you turn it down to 20, and she’s fine. Now 20 is the new normal…when previously it was too loud. Before you know it, the new normal is 30, and so on…

This is what the TSA, and the federal government is doing to the US population. Before you know it, you will see scanners at the mall, random pat downs in public places.

It’s a road that leads to a police state…

PatriotRider on December 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

mizflame98 on December 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

If you take a train, go for the sleeper cabin! I rode a train from San Diego to Boston, it took 3 days and it was awesome. Very inexpensive way to travel and you can walk around all you want. I saw parts of America that I’ll never see again, yet always remember. It would be pretty tough with kids though.

I didn’t have a sleeper, but I met someone who did, heh.

Mord on December 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

NeoKong on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

” You arrogant ass! You’ve killed us! “

bluemarlin on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Halsey acted stupidly.

… or was that the Cambridge police?

UltimateBob on December 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

“The underwear bomber was on a plane bound to the US without a valid passport and was known to be a threat. DHS cleared that plane into US airspace knowing that it had an undocumented and threatening foreign passenger on board. Who made that decision and why? I’ve been asking this question for a year and so have others, but nobody will answer it despite the admission that they knew he was a risk. The responsibility for that attempted attack IS ENTIRELY WITH OUR GOVERNMENT, NOT WITH A LACK OF SECURITY. Note well that it is documented via sworn testimony that this guy was a known risk and our government refused to revoke his right to be in the United States because they were trying to “track a larger terrorist threat.” I guess they found what they were looking for eh?”

Also, I’d say plenty has changed.

“They’re not the same Americans now. They crave authority,” he said. “They lust after regulation. They love being frisked, x-rayed, and felt-up at airports because it gives them a false sense of significance.”
[...]
We really are turning into a nation of quivering weasels.

Rae on December 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Oh, it is certainly objectively better.

The twist is that they won’t tell you what the objective is.

Hint: It’s not passenger safety.

phelps on December 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Objectively speaking, we certainly haven’t improved. Subjectively speaking, we’ve managed to make air travel less attractive.

That is several thousand jobs created. If you count that as improvement :-)

antisocial on December 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM

In Europe shoes are not removed. How come their airlines are safe?

On Napolitano’s ‘logic’ – is the TSA objective to have employee high morale or to provide safe travel?

S/he is despicable.

Schadenfreude on December 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Just went through the airport security and waiting to get home. All of the scanners were OFF and barricaded. Ye Olde Style pay downs were in use.

Skywise on December 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Drive people away from flying. Airlines go bankrupt. Feds step in to save them. Pravda Airways, where all your travel dreams come true.

Bishop on December 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

When you refuse to acknowledge the name and nature of your enemy, you get what you deserve.

BL@KBIRD on December 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM

We’re always looking to improve systems and so forth.

Her resignation would be a good start. The whole Obama administration seems to be made of incompetents and eggheads. Can’t wait to see if the new congress has any teeth to it, or will need to be replaced in 2012 like Obama.

Tommy_G on December 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Deyeke,

Please let me bring liquids on planes again, when sealed.

*Yes, the name is appropriate, I used to eat at a restaurant she frequented and there rarely were straight men with her.

Tim Burton on December 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Enhanced pat-downs? Sooner rather than later some TSA jackwagon is going to “pat down” a 16 year old girl and Dad is going to slug the guy. It might be me. Then the shiite will really hit the fan, I’m hoping the American people have the Tea Party spirit to confront the thugs en masse.

Bishop on December 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Patting down three old girls and eighty year old nuns while the back of the house has more holes than a block of aged swiss, doesn’t make us safer. That woman is dumber than a box of rocks.

RadClown on December 27, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Two things

1) The pic looks like Dr. Evil.

I just don’t fly anyome. …
chalons on December 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Made me think of CSN and I just had to slice & dice the Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

It’s getting to the point
Where you’re no fun anymore
I am sorry
Most times you flop so badly
We must cry out loud (We don’t fly anymore)
We are angry

We’ll be free, you’d be what?
You are what you are
You make it hard

Remember what we’ve said and done and felt
About each other
Obama, have mercy
Don’t let your past remind us of
What we don’t want now
Taxed enuff already’

We were free, you were what?
You are what you are
You make it hard

Vacayin’ yourself away from office now
You’d be “free” and we’d be happy
This does not mean
We don’t hate statism
We do, that’s forever
Yes and for always

We are free, you are what?
You are what you are
You make it hard

Your flackies are telling us that
You think we need messagin’
Are you still listening?
Fear is the lock
And campaignin’ the key to your heart
Yet we ignore you

We are free, you are what?
You are what you are
You make it hard

And you make it hard
And you make it hard
And you make it hard

Friday evenin’, Sunday in the afternoon
What more of to lose?
Tuesday mornin’, please be gone, We’re tired of you
What more we got to lose?

Can we tell you like it is?
(Help us we’re suffering)
Listen to us Barry
It’s our economy that’s a suffering
(Help us we’re dying)
It’s death panels, that’s what we have to lose

We gave you an answer
We’ve got a GOP House
What have we got to lose?
Will you see the light
Thursdays and Saturdays?
What have you got to lose?

Slick idiot screen
Ruby throated TOTUS
Sing Red songs — just don’t belong
Platitudes to social justice

Voices of the media, ring around the Obamalight
Telling us, we so unwashed
Why we so hateful?

Railin’ aginst fat cats,
Gaining fat lamenting
Change our lives, make us slim
Be our nanny.

Do do do do do, do do do do do do
Do do do do do, do do do do

(Obamabot’s lament)
¡Oh, la belleza de Cuba nos muestra,
La reina de la asistencia sanitaria gratuita,
Cielo soleado no tiene no seguro por allí,
Y cómo sicko que los estadounidenses rechazan,
Oh no, oh no, no.

Translation:
(Oh, the beauty Cuba shows us,
The queen of free healthcare,
Sunny sky has no uninsured over there,
And yet sicko that Americans reject it,
Oh no, oh no, no.)

AH_C on December 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

NeoKong on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM
” You arrogant ass! You’ve killed us! “

bluemarlin on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Just watched this yesterday on my flight, an unmolested flight for me! Yippee for me but not for the old lady going thru the extended pat down!

Soviet Political Officer: “Privacy is not a concern of the Soviet Union United Sates government. It is often contrary to the public collective good.”

VikingGoneWild on December 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

NeoKong on December 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

” You arrogant ass! You’ve killed us! “

bluemarlin on December 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Halsey acted stupidly.

… or was that the Cambridge police?

UltimateBob on December 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Transportation Security Administration … Now there’s a contradiction in terms.

Blackacre on December 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Relieved someone I respect shares my reaction to her interview, and DNI situation.

I do think there is bitter clinging to the notion that the recent unpleasantness at the airport is making us safer through deterrence/ cultivation of perception in would-be terrorists that they might be subject to manhandling/viewing.
It’s an emotional thing and I’m not sure how to persuade anyone to overcome it.

SarahW on December 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We’ve also given more power to terrorists who’s goal it was to compel us to violate our highest principles, which, thanks to Obama and Napolitano, they’ve now done to the 4th amendment.

This is a victory, of sorts, for Bin Laden.

FloatingRock on December 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The solution is clear: get the government out of this entirely and let the free market take over.

…I’m serious. Eliminate the whole shebang and put up posters saying ‘fly at own risk’. I’m positive things will solve themselves in short order.

Dark-Star on December 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Janet is wearing more make-up these days. She may have lost weight.

Her hairstyle still needs work.

Other than that, no progress, only more tyranny.

petunia on December 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Meanwhile, some Mexicans get to cross without being screened, thanks to the “Trusted Traveler” program.

jdawg on December 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Dark-Star on December 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Yep. When I was in Prague last month, each airline did their own security checks right at the gate. Fast, efficient, painless.

Knucklehead on December 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

It’s like that saying about rape: you should just lie back and enjoy it.

This is like a nationwide roadblock looking for someone who would never try to get past one. How many mad bombers have they intercepted boarding domestic flights?

flataffect on December 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Patdowns will continue until morale improves

My understanding is that morale will improve in early January when the Tea Party-steeped 112th Congress convenes.

I look forward to the discontinuation of patdowns and scans sometime soon thereafter.

FlameWarrior on December 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I don’t mind paying taxes.. but I mind paying taxes that contribute to this idiots salary

Viper1 on December 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Oh for heavens sake Janet, why don’t you just say FU and save all the media time. At least it would have the merit of honesty.

jeanie on December 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM

“It’s like that saying about rape: you should just lie back and enjoy it.”

The whole Democrat and Obamas’ administrations policy is like rape, they say “Hey baby just stop struggling, you will like it once we get into it.” The American public says stop now and we kicked them in the groin on Nov 2, but they just keep trying to feel you up. What part of NO don’t they understand.

Africanus on December 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM

So, to be fair, something’s not working, and that has been obvious since the Christmas Day bombing attack attempt, if not since the Fort Hood shooting revealed Nidal Hasan’s connection to Anwar al-Awlaki. Objectively speaking, we aren’t getting better

Ohhhh, something’s not working alright. Its her brain. She is an a**hat who has to go. She can’t put two thoughts together in logical sequence. As if her knowing about it and John Brennan knowing about it makes any difference. WE ALL knew about it – the point is that Clapper DID NOT know about it. Doesn’t matter who else knew about it – he didn’t. Once again, she opens her mouth and demonstrates her stupidity and incompetence.

mph on December 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I’ve flown two round trips (4 security checks) since the brouhaha started around Thanksgiving time. At all 3 airports, they’ve been running the metal detectors and you could choose to use either that or the scanners. I’ve chosen the metal detector each time, and today was the only time they chose to do a patdown afterwards. It was a standard, back of the hands, upper body check like I have gotten in the past, nothing that felt too personal. So I don’t know if I’ve been lucky or why they don’t seem to be doing all these invasive practices I keep reading about. It seems like if they are absolutely necessary, they would be used without exception.

tikvah on December 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM

That’s the entire reason we have a DNI

Some of us think the formation of DNI and his bureaucracy was a terrible idea in the first place. We were much better off with the more limited distribution of classified imformation as well of the absence of this bureaucracy. Now we share much more valuable intelligence with the world.

There is nothing that Clapper could or would have done had he know of the arrests prior to his interview. His knowledge of the arrests at that time was not important.

burt on December 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Guess what? I’ll not be flying till this foolishness ends and have made it known to several airlines that is the case.

gdonovan on December 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM

So, because one nut-job tried to blow his nuts up, everybody gets groped?

Why not just use large bomb-sniffing DOGS at airport security checkpoints? Most people don’t really mind if a dog sniffs their genitals, and well-trained dogs would probably be more effective at detecting hidden explosives than a full-body scanner.

Steve Z on December 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

They don’t call this dummy Janetalia fer nuttin’

MaiDee on December 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

What a defective, lowlife dolt this woman is.

dogsoldier on December 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM

This woman is on the deep end. When she got wind of the tea peeps, she and her staff immediately put out their little manifesto on home grown terrorist. Then the whole mail the Whitehouse.gov if you hear someone opposing the president and healthcare. Now she is in Wal-Mart, the law suit against Arizona. The investigation into the border patrol’s death, as if it is a big secret what happened. I would have to say, she is insane and incapable of her position. So, someone needs to tell her to step down. She is delusional on thinking that the American people are the enemy. It’s so time for the straightjacket.

nwpammy on December 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

FACT: The Christmas Day bomber’s flight originated in Amsterdam.

FACT: The Shoe Bomber, Richard Reid’s flight originated in Paris.

FACT: The TSA does not scan departing passengers in Amsterdam or Paris, or any other foreign airport for that matter.

FACT: No scanning or patdown procedure that falls within the jurisdiction of the TSA will ever prevent or detect an attacker whose flight originates overseas.

FACT: We are wasting our time with this nonsense as long as flights arrive in the US from other countries whose security measures are not as stringent as our own.

Beo on December 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Can any rational, reasonably intelligent person look in Nappy Janny’s eyes an not recognize that she is nuts? Everything about her screams for psychotropic, perhaps anti-psychotic medication. She is plainly operating on the far margins of reality, if connected to it at all. Thanks a pantsload <0, Valerie Jarret for this epic fail in a position that should be at the nexus of, well, homeland security, but instead is in la-la land.

Ay Uaxe on December 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

TSA WORKERS: Pawin’ shop employees.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on December 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM

She knew and a few of her friends knew what a possible strike was about to happen and did not share it, as the law requires, with their partners (the airports) who the TSA is are required to.

Sharing is caring, hording is lording.

MSGTAS on December 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM