Video: Shep Smith on passage of 9/11 health care bill

posted at 5:01 pm on December 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Two clips via Mediaite of him breaking the good news. I didn’t see his show today so I’ll leave it to commenters to fill me in, but did he happen to opine on whether he thinks the terms of the new compromise bill are a good deal or a bad one? Given that he theatrically wondered aloud a few days ago how Congress can sleep at night after voting no on cloture the first time, I assume he thinks that version of the bill was perfect in all aspects and worth passing without another moment’s thought. And yet, he sounds pretty chipper reporting on the new bill at the beginning of the first clip here. Is he just … completely indifferent to the details and the amount spent (today’s compromise was significantly leaner than the earlier version, for which you can thank Coburn)? Or does he actually prefer the leaner version, in which case he devoted yesterday to trying to shame a guy whose tough-nosed negotiating actually ended up improving the bill? My own argument last night about Coburn’s stand was that it was an admirable show of fiscal responsibility but potentially not worth it due to the political costs and relatively small scale of the expenditure. That’s not Shep’s position, though, from what I can tell. He’s all about the gesture, and if that gesture requires setting up a de facto slush fund with inadequate oversight, then either you pass it or you end up like Tom Coburn with your photo up on the screen accompanied by an ominous voiceover about the man who’s blocking money for our heroes. Imagine what his reporting will be like if/when the GOP works up the nerve to try to reform Social Security.

Ah well. The “heartless Republicans” narrative having been duly served, it’s now on to other business. For the record, Mitch McConnell is delighted with the compromise.

Comments

I tire of morons. Thank God he’s in the 3:00 slot.

darwin on December 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Ahh the part of we cannot say no.

Shep funny thing is…THEY DID NOT need the pubs. What don’t you idiots get?

CWforFreedom on December 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Slush Fund/ Money Laundering all in the name of 9/11 First Responders & Clean up crews.

Only the Democrats could pull off such an outright disgrace and brag about it.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

so there are some smart ones at Fox … good work Shep.

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

*sigh*

man, just scanning through the msm, all praise and glory to dear leader and those gop who crossed party lines to save his bacon….

cmsinaz on December 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

You’re one of my favorite puppets. The eyes look so real.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM

dear leader would rather fight for illegals than fight for us…

it just boggles the mind…

cmsinaz on December 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

cmsinaz on December 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Obama got totally PWNED on Election day, the Democrats get pimp slapped on Election day, yet they use it as a mandate to pass all of their pet liberal projects WITH REPUBLICAN HELP on their way out the door.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think the Republican office holders WANT Obama around for a second term.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM

OT -
In the headlines, Vitter is saying we shouldn’t count illegals in the census because of unfair reapportionment.

Interestingly, his party affiliation isn’t mentioned.

Democrats hate the new reapportionment because they lose seats to mainly conservative states – and now they’ll use anti-illegal immigration folks to try to thwart the increased seats to certain conservative states – like Texas. So now, the anti-illegal alien republican who whines about his state’s seat loss is an ally of theirs.

When they lose seats to states with no sales tax and a state government that isn’t a kleptocratic good ol’ boys club (Jindal’s work excepted) – they cry – and use what would be Republican points to help them along.

Interesting.

CPL 310 on December 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Shep Smith – token metrosexual.

GarandFan on December 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM

very scary thought indeed….

cmsinaz on December 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Useful idiot Shep.
All heat and no light- just make me feel better!
Damn, next thing you know he’ll enlist in the military- won’t be a problem now.

jjshaka on December 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Every time Shep is on my TV, I call the repairman to fix the dim bulb.

Daemonocracy on December 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Oh, those tears of joy! Thank God for waterproof Lancôme.

RedRedRice on December 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I’m with you here. I think the GOP PR machine has totally collapsed. We will never hear of Coburn’s achievement, but all we’re going to hear is that those mean ol’ GOP beating up on 9/11 workers. That’s not how a political operation is run.

Apologetic California on December 22, 2010 at 5:27 PM

“de facto slush fund with inadequate oversight”….*sigh*

Can’t wait till this guy is officially in office….

“….Lastly, just a final thought…the past two years have seen the highest amount of casualties in Afghanistan, we have ten of our Warriors sitting in prison at Ft Leavenworth, North Korea has sunk a South Korean naval vessel and fired 200 artillery rounds into South Korea, Iran marches on towards reaching nuclear capability, our borders are unsecure and a border patrol agent was just killed as Mexico begins to resemble Iraq or Afghanistan………..and the most important Strategic defense issue for the lame duck Congress was to repeal the policy called “Dont Ask, Dont Tell”.

My priorities will be to ensure the enemy which killed LCPL Jose A Hernandez gets killed, whereever he exists……my concern is not making our military conform to individual behavior. However, the liberal left of this lame duck Congress, and some misguided Republicans, are truly more concerned with whom members of our fighting force sleep and appeasing, at a last gasp, impertinent special interest groups.”

Utterly disturbing, totally pathetic.

Steadfast and Loyal,

Allen

Palin/West 2012

tencole on December 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM

He teared up? I hope he doesn’t have emotional problems like John Boehner.

JavelinaBomb on December 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I would trade Shep for the CNN equivalent in a heartbeat. Atleast that guy isn’t such a drama queen.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Next up cause celeb for Shep Smith…

… a new Democrat bill for the victims of the Civil War!

(cue the tears)

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I don’t remember a “real” journalist like Shep Smith tearing up when the actual attack happened on Sept. 11. I guess it’s only emotional when you can demagogue Republicans about hating puppies or something.

JavelinaBomb on December 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM

so there are some smart ones at Fox …

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

How would you know?

Del Dolemonte on December 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

You’re one of my favorite puppets. The eyes look so real.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM

LMAO!

marinetbryant on December 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM

so there are some smart ones at Fox … good work Shep.

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

He’s not smart, he’s an overpaid, prissy drama queen with an agenda.

Tim Zank on December 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I tire of morons.

Better take down all your mirrors.

Grow Fins on December 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Allah give Shep way too much credit. His head is sort of like nipples on a man… if he had a brain, that’s where it would be.

NTXLass on December 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

By “his”, I mean Shep, not AP. ;)

NTXLass on December 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

A short trip down memory lane:

Shepard Smith was arrested by Florida police in November 2000 on a charge of aggravated battery.

Mugshot here.

Mason on December 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I tire of morons.

Better take down all your mirrors.

Grow Fins on December 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

So you ARE a 3rd Grader. Do you parents know you are on the computer?

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Shep is a huge, huge, liberal. Illustrating the “fair and balance” of Fox News. I will never forget his tirade on the bridge after Katrina. He isn’t the brightest bulb in the box.

ultracon on December 22, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Anyone with a double digit IQ would seem smart to Monkei.

chemman on December 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I tire of morons.

Better take down all your mirrors.

Grow Fins on December 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

You took the bait.

darwin-t on December 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Exactly so, Allah. For weeks Republicans unwilling to pass that version of the bill hated first responders. Now they pass a cheaper version, and nobody claims the Republicans still hate the heroes, just not as much.

They are ridiculous. And good for Coburn.

MayBee on December 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I figured he would be this emotional over the repeal of DADT.

mizflame98 on December 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I figured out a long time ago that the Democrats and Republicans are playing a game of good cop, bad cop on the American people.

mizflame98 on December 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Does anyone like watching Shep? Anyone?

He’s simply intolerable.

tsj017 on December 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Have you noticed Shep gets tongue tied a LOT during his broadcasts?

Oh, and according to the documentary “outing” certain gay politicos, Shep is a member. Will someone out him, please??

Lothar on December 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM

AP,

Water-boarding is preferable to listening to this twit. Is this your revenge on us or is it just your inner self showing through?

belad on December 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM

He teared up? I hope he doesn’t have emotional problems like John Boehner.

JavelinaBomb on December 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

But if he does, don’t expect Bahbwa to point it out; I’m sure she likes Shep.

Dopenstrange on December 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Ah, once again it’s wonderful to be generous with other people’s money… What? We’re out of OPM? Ok, go sell some more to the Fed or China. That’s better. All’s right with the universe.

Dandapani on December 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Hey, where’s Moe and Larry?

belad on December 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM

ultracon on December 22, 2010 at 6:02 PM

100% agree. He needs to co-host a msnbc show that focuses on what the gov’t hasn’t done for you today but should of.

Fuquay Steve on December 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Shep lost me in New Orleans….

sheesh on December 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I stopped watching Schlep Smith a long time ago.

I’m just surprised the guy hasn’t defected over to MSNBC yet.

pilamaye on December 23, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Remember: Shep Smith is only the second biggest a$$wipe on Fox News.

Jaibones on December 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM