Obama: My view of gay marriage is still “evolving” or something

posted at 6:12 pm on December 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

The lowlight from this afternoon’s presser, which brought the expected hosannas to bipartisanship and boo-hooing over the failure of the DREAM Act. To clue you in on what he means by “evolving,” recall that this is a guy who declared himself in favor of gay marriage allllll the way back in 1996. Then he developed national political ambitions and, as if by magic, suddenly “devolved” (to borrow his rhetorical conceit) to the view that civil unions for gays were as much as he could bear. Now, with rumbling among his base about a primary challenge in 2012, he’s “evolving” again. I’d call him a B.S. artist but his pandering is so clumsy and transparently insincere that it can’t qualify as “art.” Let’s call him a B.S. finger-painter instead.

He gave this same answer, more or less, in an interview the other day with the Advocate. Here’s how the exchange with their reporter ended:

Can you imagine a time when you would get there? I mean, you say “evolving,” and that sort of assumes that you get somewhere. Can you imagine a time of getting there?

I’m going to stick with my answer. [Laughter]

The real answer is “the day after Election Day 2012,” but like I say, he’s finger-painting here. If you’re still not convinced that he’s lying about his true position — although I doubt there’s a man or woman anywhere on the political spectrum who isn’t — contrast his halting, politic answer to Tapper in the first clip below with his effusive praise for gay troops in the second. Night and day.

Exit question: Just wondering — are there any other issues, social or otherwise, on which Spock’s views are still “evolving” or does this happen to be the only one? I’m sure he’d say yes if that question was put to him, as any intellectual worth his salt will insist that he continues to question his own assumptions, but I don’t get much of an assumption-questioning vibe from him about abortion, say, or Keynesianism. Just how broad is this political “evolution” anyway?

Comments

Just how broad is this political “evolution” anyway?

Not broad enough for him to evolve into anything worth having for a president.

backwoods conservative on December 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Another profile in courage by the long legged mack daddy.

50sGuy on December 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Watching all the dems beaming with pride over end run Liberalism they just rammed down our throats on their way out the door is depressing. Mostly because it was done under the shield of “Bipartisanship” These RINOs are worse than democrats.

All those jerks demanding conservatives vote for RINOs because “Hey, they vote conservative at least 55% of the time” need to do some serious soul searching. Especially after Travesties of this past month.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Time to move forward in the next round of culture wars.

Spathi on December 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Weathervane. Want to know what the polls are saying? Listen to The One as he re-aligns his policies.

BobMbx on December 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Lindsey Graham hardest hit.

Valiant on December 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Ugh. Cultural liberalism is my least favorite part of progressivism. We are doomed.

terryannonline on December 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

his pandering is so clumsy and transparently insincere

Which is apparently what keeps the pandering clumsy and transparently insincere media enthralled.

scalleywag on December 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Just hope it doesn’t evolve into pederasty.

shick on December 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Our First Crack President.

Behold.

Key West Reader on December 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM

He’s evolving into a pretty bad President, too.

blatantblue on December 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The MSM will circle the wagons and provide cover knowing full well as you said where this would head during an Obama 2nd term.

Marcus on December 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

A man unable to articulate and defend his principles is no man.

Bruce MacMahon on December 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

that is some weapons-grade snark there, AP

ted c on December 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Isn’t that what apes did?

MikeA on December 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Present!

OldEnglish on December 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Everyone in the media lets him get away with it…

This has nothing to do about a primary challenge… this is about him being too cute and mythologizing himself.

ninjapirate on December 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

that is some weapons-grade snark there, AP

ted c on December 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Lol, indeed!

scalleywag on December 22, 2010 at 6:31 PM

He’s evolving into a pretty bad President, too.

blatantblue on December 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Nah, he crawled out of the socialist primordial swill like this.

darwin-t on December 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Geraghty’s Rule applies, as always.

OhioCoastie on December 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

New moniker…the finger painter in chief. Thanks AP, that’s priceless!

scalleywag on December 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Obama is gonna put Supreme Court Justices that will make gay marriage a “right.” What does it matter what he says he believes?

Do you think when the Supreme Court makes gay marriage a right….Obama is gonna say “I don’t agree with the Supremes…let’s have a constitutional amendment!!!” Yeah, right.

terryannonline on December 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I may spend part of my Christmas (yes, Christmas) break creating a Photoshopped image of Mr. President and his finger paints.

scalleywag on December 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Everyone in the media lets him get away with it…

BTW, the date of that politico story is like January 2009… Ace reported that Obama supported gay marriage during the election and I don’t remember anyone reporting it then… google had some flashback search engine that was used to dig it up…

Also, note that Obama was opposed to Prop 8…

How they hell can you be for “civil unions”(which Cali had IIRC) and for upholding tradition marriage yet oppose Prop 8…

How long has Obama been evolving?

ninjapirate on December 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I remember when John Edwards said a similar thing. His opinions on gay marriage were evolving or he was on a journey or something.

The truly lame thing is– what can take so long on this evolutionary journey? And did you notice he couldn’t voice why he wasn’t there yet?

MayBee on December 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Let me say that again…

Obama opposed prop 8 to define marriage as being between a man and a woman all the while California had domestic partnerships…

Seriously, why does anyone believe this jackass?

ninjapirate on December 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM

If this insipid tool had any principles, he might get some respect from the right. He has no principles. He says, and does exactly what he thinks he needs to, to further himself. Nothing more.

He’d sell out his kids, if it meant there was something big in it for himself.

I mean…how does one evolve this way, knowing how Islamics treat gays?

capejasmine on December 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Barry Obama, there’s no issue he cannot straddle.

Can I hear “PRESENT!”?

GarandFan on December 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

If Obama didn’t believe that gay marriage was a “right” he wouldn’t have appointed Sotomayor and Kagan. Of course, he’s speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

terryannonline on December 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

How long has Obama been evolving?

ninjapirate on December 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I see it more as DEvolving. ;)

capejasmine on December 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

That second screen shot…

… The one with Nancy Pelosi’s sour puss right in the center, surrounded by leaders of the Lame Duck Congress, all smiling as they shove another piece of their social engineering down our throats.

Go back and look again. Let it sink into your soul.

… Let it fill you with that warm feeling of the Christmas Season.

After you throw up…

… book mark the page, and be ready to bring it back up next election cycle.

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It’s still evolving because he hasn’t reached his ultimate goal — marrying himself.

I love me. I love me, too.

GnuBreed on December 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

His view on gay marriage “evolving”? Well, I guess it takes a little time for a genius, omniscient citizen of the world like himself to get in touch with his inner Elton… or Rosie. OTOH, if I were married to “All That Junk”, my position on the issue might “evolve” as well. ✪

TXUS on December 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Obviously, the answer wasn’t loaded into TOTUS. Ergo, we were blessed with the real BHO…the blithering idiot.

BobMbx on December 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I love me. I love me, too.

GnuBreed on December 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

ROFL!!! I can see that!!! LOL

capejasmine on December 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I love me. I love me, too.

GnuBreed on December 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

So, He’s left his wife for “another man”?

Rovin on December 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

He’s between a rock and a hard place (And yes, I feel so bad for him…NOT) because part of his base is for it (Far Left homosexual activists) and an even larger part of his base is against it (Blacks, especially black ministers).
Hispanics aren’t too keen on it, either.

Jenfidel on December 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He’s the cutest Marxist Communist ever. I swear.

Key West Reader on December 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

A man unable to articulate and defend his principles is no man.

Bruce MacMahon on December 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Principles?!!?!? When did this happen??

BigWyo on December 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Of course, the nancyboy supports gay marriage. He’s in one himself.

If Mr Pantywaist uses the words “conversation” or “folks” one more time, I’m going to vomit or something.

No Niks on December 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

What do you get when you’re white, black, Christian, moslem, left, right, center, post partisan, light worker, sea slayer, enchanter of the stupid and with all that you can still stop the sea from rising and make the Earth itself heal?

A Nation in Peril

Key West Reader on December 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Nearly all Republicans in Congress would say the same. No diff.

james23 on December 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM

“…shouldn’t be able to marry the people they love?”

People and love? That’s all marriage requires?

Well, heck. I love my husband, Jim from “The Office”, Paul Ryan, and Mat Kearney. Can I marry them all, Mr. President? Why or why not?

(Disclaimer: I only have teeny crushes on the latter three, but hey. Who’s to say what “love” is, Mr. President?)

Grace_is_sufficient on December 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

A Hymn for Our Times

Key West Reader on December 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on December 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BobMbx is horrified he didn’t make the list.

BobMbx on December 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Translation: I’ve got enough people on my side mad at me. Let’s not push it.

CurtZHP on December 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Haha awesome. BURN! :)

Enrique on December 22, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Oh, yay! He’s fallen for the Rovian plot to increase conservative turn out in 2012! Good work, keep it up Mr. President!

obladioblada on December 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Obama: My view of gay marriage is still “evolving” or something

I’m sure the longer Obamao is married to Michelle, the better being in a gay marriage looks to him.

Timothy S. Carlson on December 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM

what a dolt-how many times he vote “present?” you know he is for gay marriages-he loves every other thing they do -so why not marriage-he is just lying again to protect himself

Bullhead on December 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Vote: PRESENT

Greed on December 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Obama: My view of gay marriage is still “evolving” or something

Translation: If Michelle keeps swallowing those cheeseburgers and fries, even Robert Gibbs would start looking attractive to me. ;)

poxoma on December 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Obama looks like one of the Army’s “sugar boys” himself. DADT repeal gives new meaning to “crack whore”. In the shower room: “Just bend over and show me your crack.”

MaiDee on December 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Brave.

hillbillyjim on December 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM

LOL

inviolet on December 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Oh good. More time wasted on issues that affect very few while Rome burns. Wonderful.

TheBigOldDog on December 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Here at RINO Central, our Dramatic Lead has been well to the left of Our Idiot Socialist President on gay marriage since the get-go, but happily O’Bozo is moving left, if only to get Allah back some credibility with his readers.

How thoughtful of him.

Jaibones on December 22, 2010 at 11:17 PM

No Niks on December 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I like the cut of your jib, No Niks.

Jaibones on December 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM

terryannonline on December 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

You hit the nail on the head.
Also, thanks to those who didn’t vote or voted for someone other than McCain in the general election.

scotash on December 23, 2010 at 12:37 AM

He was against it before he was for it?

shorebird on December 23, 2010 at 3:24 AM

that focus on jobs just got alot dimmer….

cmsinaz on December 23, 2010 at 6:56 AM

I think it is a safe bet that any shred of hope remaining that the gay community had in this guy just went sailing out the proverbial window.

pilamaye on December 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM