Huckabee on child nutrition: I must side with Michelle Obama over Sarah Palin

posted at 10:16 pm on December 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Is the 2012 Republican presidential nomination going to come down to a debate over … how much ice cream kids should be eating? One can only hope, my friends, because that campaign would be simply awesome to blog.

What if the final two end up being Huckabee and Romney? Which way would the Hot Air readership break? You guys might not like Mitt’s support for mandates, but hey — if your little one overdoses on tollhouse cookies, at least you know that his hospital stay is covered. Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Besides, a kid at public school eats 180 lunches a year at school, compared to 365 * 3 – 180 = 2375 meals a year at home. If 93% of the meals eaten by a child are served by the parents, why should the Federal Government be spending huge amounts of taxpayers’ money (many taxpayers don’t have school-age children!) trying to control only 7% of children’s meals?

Steve Z on December 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Correction: Must have hit a wrong button on my calculator! That should be 915 meals, and 84% of the meals served at home. Still, should the Federal Government be regulating 16% of what children eat, while the parents can directly control 84% of the meals children eat?

Steve Z on December 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I don’t understand the various evangelicals who support Huck. Sure, he shares your religion – big whup. Ted Kennedy was a roman catholic like me, but I would never vote for him for anything. It boggles the mind.

Monkeytoe on December 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I personally have an issue with someone who walks away from the Lord’s calling for them to preach the gospel to become a politician.

mizflame98 on December 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

If Huckabee is on a crusade against obesity, why doesn’t he show us his sixpack abs on TV? Among the Presidential contenders, Obama, Biden, Palin, Romney, Pawlenty, Jindal, and even John McCain are much slimmer than Huckabee!

Whatever happened to “practice what you preach”, Mr. Preacher Man?

Steve Z on December 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I can vouch for pecan pie being the root of my weight issues. I love pecan pie. Got hooked as a kid in the South. Now BUT FOR those dam* Southerners raising me to be addicted to that wonderful flaky crust filled with heavenly (pardon the religious Huckesque reference) sweet goo topped with pecans I would be as svelt as _______(fill in with whomever is the svelt male ‘it’ man du jour). It’s time for a new federal agency headed by Huck to make war on pecan pie. All you dear Southern mothers created a market for your evil gastronomic delights. Shame. Now heaven has sent the archangel Huck to deliver us from pie.

JimP on December 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Huckabee is helpless before food – no wonder he’s for taking any opportunity for others to make “wrong choices” away.

SarahW on December 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Huckabee: I fought the Food, and the Food won.

portlandon on December 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Who cares, though, right? It’s all about the red meat sound bites nowadays.

Iowans Rock on December 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM

No one said that states couldn’t get involved in promoting healthy living for kids. In fact – that’s the way it should be.

What Sarah Palin is saying now is that the Feds have no reason to be involved. And she’s right.

But look at your quote and you’ll see – that she’s talking about LIFESTYLE change – and not exclusively dietary change like MO and Huck.

HondaV65 on December 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Also, there is a big difference between promoting a healthier lifestyle and gov’t passing laws dictating what hyou can and cannot eat, etc. Huck and Michele O are for the latter, which elimates Huck from the nomination to any reasonable conservative.

Monkeytoe on December 22, 2010 at 1:24 PM

The obesity problem will take care of itself. In a few years our economy may be such that we don’t have obesity worries anymore.

Or, the obese people will die off earlier costing us less over the long term.

Either way, not the gov’t's problem.

Monkeytoe on December 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM

When Huckabee’s son goes to the beach, kids will spend the afternoon trying to push him back into the water.

How fat was he? When he goes to the zoo, the elephants throw him peanuts.

pdigaudio on December 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Romney believes in government run healthcare and Huckabee thinks big brother should regulate what our kids eat. How is either one of them more conservative than Obama? They’re progressives just like Barry. The difference is what Huck and Mitt would like to do over a longer period of time is being done by Barry over a short period of time.

mizflame98 on December 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Reagan granted amnesty. By your logic he was not more conservative then Obama.

Listen, NO politician is going to agree with you 100%.

This whole bitchiness of “my candidate didn’t win the primary so I’m going to sit on my hands and let the democrat win” thing is getting on my nerves. Kind of like for the past few years it was “Rove rules!” and then he makes the very legitamit observation that Palin doing a reality TV show may hurt her chances of becoming POTUS and all of a sund it’s “TOKYO ROVE!!!! ROVE IS A RINOOOOO!!!”.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM

That’s okay Huck, I must side with Eric Clapton over your guitar playing as well.

kens on December 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Huckabee is a RINO-in-waiting. He’s always had a pastor’s sentimental bias towards social welfare issues. Even his pardoning of rapists boils down to the marshmallow center at his core.

Between Mitt and Huck I’d have to pass.

rcl on December 22, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Between Mitt and Huck I’d have to pass.

Yuck. I’d have to go with Romney. Very, very, very reluctantly.

pdigaudio on December 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

“Rove rules!”

Most conservatives I know were not all that enthralled with Rove. His “50 percent plus one” strategery essentially wrote off half the country for the Republicans. It was his advice to President Bush that made the latter refuse to publicly defend anything he did. Many conservative including myself got tired of defending a man who refused to defend himself and actually allowed the Hate Left to define him in the public eye.

Rove is your typical pinhead GOP countryclub elitist who’s hellbent on making sure another Reagan doesn’t come forward and bring all those nasty yucky common people into the GOP.

pdigaudio on December 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Huckabee’s a jackass and my absolute last choice.

But PLEASE don’t be stupid AGAIN, people! Too many conservatives sat out in 1992, 1996, and 2008 because our nominees weren’t “pure” enough. Result: Democratic wins and damage to the country.

If that worthless big-government lovin’, murderer-pardonin’, tax-hikin’ Huck manages to win our nomination, I will hold my nose and vote for the lousy bastard. And I expect the rest of you to do the same – especially you idiots who helped elect Obama because of your spite against McCain. Because if Obama gets reelected and a revolution becomes necessary, we will be certain to get you first, before even Michael Moore.

Adjoran on December 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Huckabee is a weaselly schmuck RINO!

MCGIRV on December 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Of course he does, he doesn’t like Sarah Palin.. Please please please, NO to Huckabee in 2012…

reshas1 on December 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM

To some extent I see your point. But, I would point out that there is no obligation for us to vote for whoever gets the GOP nod. Sometimes a nominee is too far beyond what is acceptable to some of us.

As an example – I argued that voting for the recall and for Schwartzenagger for governor of CA was idiotic as he was likely to move pretty far left and would allow the dems in CA to point their fingers at the CA GOP. so, we would lose on two fronts 1) the left/media would use Schwartzenagger against the GOP and 2) the idiots in CA would not realize that all of their problems are caused by liberalism. I was right on that one. Everyone back then told me to hold my nose and vote for Arnold b/c the most important thing in the world was to have a governor with an “R” next to his name.

I would argue the same basic thing with regard to a Huckabee presidency. I would probably hold my nose and vote for Romney, but I would not do it for Huckabee.

Monkeytoe on December 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Huckaphony is a passive-aggressive little twerp. He pulls this kind of stuff all the time w/ Palin. He did it w/ Romney during the primaries as well.

Redneck Woman on December 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Self-immolation via fire comes to mind…

karl9000 on December 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I cannot stand Huckabee and I hope that Rhino doesn’t run for President. He is not a Conservative and I don’t even watch his show on Fox news. Every time that man opens his mouth you can tell that he is not a Conservative. He has never liked Sarah and she has more cajonies then Huckabee.

sheebe on December 22, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Childhood Obesity: * Political Leadership * Governing Success *

Please read about Huckabee’s success as governor in combating the Childhood Obesity issue. Video of John Stossel interview and Don Imus interview.

texasconserv on December 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

“… Because if Obama gets reelected and a revolution becomes necessary, we will be certain to get you first, before even Michael Moore.
Adjoran on December 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM”

I admire your fire in the belly Adj. I truly do. Huck, however, is the one Repub I WILL NOT vote for that is currently planning on a run. So when/if the revolution comes I’ll be waiting for you and yours. Thanks for the heads up. Fair warning: better bring A-bombs.

BTW, I voted for McCain. Ironic don’t you think that McCain has a holier than thou attitude and Huck is McCain but with actual church preaching experience, not just the sanctimony?

JimP on December 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Huck is not a conservative. He is a liberal who is against abortion and gay marriage. That is all he is. Far better to have Obama win a second term and take all the blame for bad policies than have Huck win and follow teh same bad policies.

Monkeytoe on December 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Not that I ever thought Huck had a chance to win the presidency, but if he DID – this would sink him.
Of course we should all eat healthy. But it should not be mandated by the government.
Anyway, Huck, who looks more fit – Sarah the s’mores lady or Mrs. Obammy the wanna-be dictator. hmmmm?

arizona on December 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM

How fat was he? When he goes to the zoo, the elephants throw him peanuts.

pdigaudio on December 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Writing that one down.

Tim_CA on December 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM

So no one ever takes your side?

darwin on December 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Huckabee gave Romney grief for not eating fried chicken skin.

Buttercup on December 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM

“one should always side with the more intelligent person if one has to take sides … Palin vs Michelle … not even close, Michelle wins by a mile. Good job Huck.

Monkei on December 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM”

Hey dum dum, Washington and our banking systems have been run by the supposed intelligent people. Where are we now?

Africanus on December 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Love it when Palin’s potential rivals dumps ammo by the truckload right in her lap…

SuperCool on December 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

mizflame98 on December 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I personally have an issue with his amnesty thinking…

ladyingray on December 23, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Huckabee is French TOAST with sweet syrup and butter on top!

Winebabe on December 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM

And this is why he’ll never be president. He doesn’t get it. We’re done with them telling us how to live.

The guy who says, “I’ll be your president and concern myself with foreign relations and treaties, border issues and national security, outside that you are on your own.” will run away the election.

Motto- “Ain’t my job, figure it out for yourself.”

archer52 on December 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Make Nooooo mistake about this giy !!!! He is an A::OUT RINO !!!

aniladesai on December 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM

“Huckabee gave Romney grief for not eating fried chicken skin.”

That was two years ago, Buttercup. That’s the equivialent of fourteen dog years. Politician years and dog years are the same.

ncjetsfan on December 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I am SHOCKED SHOCKED to hear that Huckabee is a nanny state Republican..wow… who would have thunk it ?

nagee76 on December 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Steve Z

Gee, if the government is serving the kid’s meals, heck yeah, they should be regulating them.
You can’t cook and dish it up without regulating it, and regulating what kids eat is what grown-ups are supposed to do.

audiculous on December 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM