Poll of eight states: Romney trails other major presidential contenders among conservatives

posted at 6:51 pm on December 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

Actually, that’s overstating it slightly: He does okay in his pop’s home state of Michigan, and he manages to eke past Gingrich for third place in some metrics in Wisconsin, but in the other six — including bellwethers like Ohio, Missouri, and North Carolina — he’s fourth out of four. By a country mile, in some cases.

We’ve polled eight states, not including Massachusetts, since the 2010 election ended. Romney has the lowest favorability rating of the Republican top 4 with conservatives in every single one of those states except Michigan, where he probably benefits from his dad having been the Governor. And it’s not like Romney is just slightly less well liked than the others with conservatives- it’s a large gap, particularly when you compare him with Palin or Huckabee. Romney’s average favorability is 58%. Gingrich is next worst at 64%, followed by Huckabee at 73%, and Palin does best at 77%…

And because conservatives make up the lion’s share of Republican primary voters, it should come as no surprise that his issues with them are now leading to poor numbers for him overall in these early snapshots. Of the last eight states we’ve polled Romney has led in only one- Michigan- and even there he could only salvage a tie with Huckabee. Huckabee has led in four states overall with Palin ahead in three and Tim Pawlenty ahead in his home state. Romney’s average performance has been 15% with Gingrich at 16%, Palin at 20%, and Huckabee at 21%.

Palin leads the field among conservatives in all eight states, 22/21 over Huckabee, with Gingrich third at 15 percent and Romney fourth at 14 percent. Check out his numbers in Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina, especially — bearing in mind that as Palin, Huck, and/or Newt start to fade earlier in the primaries, their conservative supporters are likely to consolidate behind whoever’s left in that group of three, making Romney’s task even more difficult.

He’ll look at those numbers and murmur to himself “McCain, McCain, McCain” as a reminder of how powerless grassroots conservatives can be to stop RINOs in a primary, but that analogy doesn’t hold. Partly because of his immigration stance and partly because of his media-friendly sanctimony towards the right, Maverick was even more widely despised by the base than Mitt is, I think, notwithstanding the latter’s health-care apostasy. But he was (more or less) acceptable anyway as a nominee given that (a) there were no conservative rock stars in the field to provide a clear contrast and (b) with Bush’s approval so low and Republicans in such disfavor, a centrist nominee could be sold as the last, best chance to hold the middle and keep the White House. In 2012, by contrast, you’ll have Palin running and (maybe) Pence and a Mike Huckabee who’s much more widely known and who’s spent two years framing himself as a hardline fiscal conservative. And you’ll have a Republican base that’s fresh off a midterm landslide and anxious to go on offense against a weakened Obama, which means they’ll be less willing to settle for a moderate deemed untrustworthy even by some centrists who might otherwise sympathize with him. The GOP hasn’t nominated a “true conservative” since Reagan (Dubya, avatar of “compassionate conservatism,” hardly qualifies despite the left’s demonization of him); many grassroots believers will be thinking, “if not now, when”? Why settle for Bob Dole when you might have a shot to nominate Goldwater?

All Mitt can do, I guess, is (a) hope that Palin’s negatives stay high and scare off GOP fencesitters on the electability question, (b) quietly lobby for GOP primaries in blue states to be winner-take-all instead of proportional, and (c) do whatever he can to make sure that states run closed primaries instead of open ones. I know that last part is counterintuitive — wouldn’t Romney benefit from centrist independents being able to vote for him? — but Democrats are so eager to face Palin in the general that I think PPP’s right about them perpetrating a little “Operation Chaos” of their own. There won’t be any Democratic contest to vote in, so if you’re a liberal who thinks Obama will walk all over Sarahcuda, why not cross over and vote for her in the GOP primary if you’re allowed?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BTW, Pence said today, he’s going to make decision in January. Sounds like he may be running for governor which would give him more potential for 2016 run.

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Oh no! You think he was hinting at running for Gov.? I hope not, for our sakes.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Barry has done a dandy job at putting the electorate into a veritable coma when it comes to style and form over substance.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:33 PM

It’s not that the majority don’t think Obama has any substance; it’s that they don’t like the substantive things they see from Obama. It’s not as if the public has suddenly turned against charisma and is now looking for a schlub to save them. That’s idiotic.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Like I said, Pence doesn’t appear to be running for President.

Way to persuade me into your camp///

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I think she could win against Obama. She’s not afraid to point out Obama’s flaws, the untruths, and his narcissism.

Kini on December 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Yep. She’s the only potential candidate I see right now that could completely eviscerate Obama without flinching and without constantly apologizing for taking on “such an historically important young President”. She wouldn’t give a damn.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Interested in moving to Indiana?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Like I said, Pence doesn’t appear to be running for President.

Way to persuade me into your camp///

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I’m not trying to persuade anyone. I’m not a campaign manager. I just point out goofy arguments.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Uh, yeah. Let’s see you run your non-charismatic vanilla CEO managerial type and let’s see how far he/she gets.

If he has substance and can hammer home the facts surrounding Obamas misrepresentations and misguided economic metality, he will get a hell of a lot farther than Palin.

The last thing we needs is Palin standing on stage, making mince meat of the English language while attempting to get a mental grip on her talking points.

rickyricardo on December 20, 2010 at 11:44 PM

rickyricardo on December 20, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Really now. And who would that be, ricky?

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM

It’s not really difficult to rip the same old tired “electability” arguments to shreds.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM

The same old electable arguments are not as old as you think. Palin talked about the issue of electability as well a few days ago.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Substance over form is more likely to win when the electorate has form fatigue.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM

So, you are finally starting to realize Palin will win. Good for you. Sometimes it takes longer for some than others.

gary4205 on December 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Stating that “she’s not ready for a run in 2012″ is not a goofy argument, it’s a legitimate concern for many.

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM

The same old electable arguments are not as old as you think.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Sure they are. They go back at least to 1980. Reagan didn’t have a prayer against Carter. Lightweight. Polarizing. Too conservative. A moderate like Ford, Dole or Bush would do much better and draw in independents.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Well, they can have the guts to pimp the one they do feel is ready in 2012 and tell us how that eminently electable one is going to win. In other words, vote for someone else.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Interested in moving to Indiana?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM

No way. I love living here in the shabby chic projects/

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM

churchill995 on December 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I’m sorry but his personal life is the most important to me. If he lies to his wife he will think nothing of lying to the voters. Character does matter to me. While I like a lot of Newt’s positions I just can’t move beyond him cheating on his wives. I’m not much of a Bush person but one thing I did respect about Pres. bush was his character. It was abreath of fresh air after Clinton and his lies.

I would hate to return to a PPOTUS I couldn’t trust. Truth be known it is one of the major problems I have with Mitt also his flip flops on the issues. trust is a big deal for me in a candidate. While I know all candidates will fudge the truth at times and switch positions as needed Mitt and Newt strectch and break that beyond common sense.

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM

So Palin like McCains tax credits from the feds for health care. Then she said she like Paul Ryans tax credits for health care from the feds.
Is this going to be what she campaigns on?

PrezHussein on December 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM

People of substance know Barry hasn’t got any.

Plenty of people have referent power (leadership charisma) and some of them also have substance. Nobody said we should choose a “schlub,” and certainly Pence, Jindal and a host of others aren’t schlubs either
for heavens sake.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Romney will continue to have problems until he loudly and publically disavows RomneyCare as a very bad mistake. If he comes out as says something like “In hindsight, Romneycare was a mistake that put too much control into government and politicians at the expense of personal responsibility and liberty. I’ve become aware of better solutions to providing a vibrant and quality oriented health care system and will pursue these if elected the main doofus of the world…”

If he continues to attempt to run for Doofus of the Nation with the Romney care rock in his shoe, others will rocket past him like he’s a lame turtle…

drfredc on December 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Indeed. In fact, she would enjoy it. People forget she owes Barry a whole lot of payback. He and his thugs have been messing with Alaska and her since 2008.

She’s running for the right reasons, but the bonus of getting to field dress that evil little bastard on the national stage will be a nice bonus.

The debates alone will be epic. She’ll punch Little Barry with so many rights he’ll beg for a left!

gary4205 on December 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Well the thing we strangely don’t seem to hear from the Palin-bashers when they’re talking about Newt is what a “QUITTTERRRRRR!!!!!!!” Newt was.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Yeah, but we’re not talking about Reagan. We’re talking about a point of argument that even your girl just talked about on ABC last week.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

No way. I love living here in the shabby chic projects/

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I spend 5 long years in those.
To this day I still lovingly call where we lived the ‘Roach Motel’.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

People of substance know Barry hasn’t got any.

for heavens sake.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I like Pence, Jindal and others. If they’re going to rise, they’ll do it on their own power without me having to rip Palin in online discussion forums to advance their cause. Get it?

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Somehow, you don’t seem to realize that we are all on the same team. Pimp? Seriously?

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM

How do feel about the evidence gathered that Palin cheated on her husband from the same people that broke the Edwards affair?

PrezHussein on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

We’re talking about an analogous situation. Reagan would’ve disagreed that he was unelectable as well.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

for heavens sake.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Knucklehead on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Sure. Figure of speech.

PrezHussein on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Yeah, and she has tattooed lipliner and she banned books.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM

TheRightMan on December 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

good post and agree with most of it. I think Palin is hoping for the best and planning for the worst. the post over at Ace’s site talking about Pence seems to say he is leaning more towards the gov of IN which i think is the right move for him for a 2016 or 2020 run. If that is so I don’t see a conservative Palin can support heart and soul. I have no doubtr she would endorse the winner of the primaries. I don’t see her going 3rd party or anything….

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Really now. And who would that be, ricky?

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM

T-Paw, Jindal, Christie, Pence, Thune if they run an aggressive campaign will be well up into the mid to upper 40 percentile by the end of a general election and will give Obama a run for his money.

All these guys would appeal to the indies and the Reagan Democrats.

Palin is made for the primaries only. She won’t see the 40 percentile mark in a general. She’s poison to independents and moderate Democrats.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM

for heavens sake.

anXdem on December 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Pray tell, where are these magical leaders with substance. Since 2008 there has only be ONE person who has led on every issue. Just one who has fought the Obama regime tooth and nail.

You name the issue and SHE has a solid, and substantial position.

No one else has.

Real leaders don’t stand around waiting to be asked. They stand up and make themselves heard.

The also don’t give a damn about what the media or anyone else of insignificance thinks.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I’d hardly call what I commented about Palin ripping. I simply pointed out some real problems with her prospective candidacy. Get it?

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Pawlenty, Jindal, Christie, Pence and Thune are shoo-ins. OK. LOL

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Well there is that too. character does matter….

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

You must realize by now that Reagan and Palin are apples and oranges.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

To even raise any remote analogy or comparison of Palin to Reagan is a misguided joke.

The man spent a lifetime of searching and questioning his own politics to find his ideological home.

Sarah Palin? A half term governor who repeats talking points on Fox and hides behind a Facebook page?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Oh yeah, I get it. I can’t point out lots of problems with all the candidates. Want me to list some? But you see, I don’t seem to have that need in a Pence thread or a Pawlenty thread to do that. I wouldn’t say that either of them are unelectable and shouldn’t run. I wouldn’t put on the prophet’s pose and say they certainly could never beat Obama. You think Palin’s damaged goods whereas ANY GOP candidate that poses any sort of threat of actually beating Obama is in for the same sort of treatment that will leave them just as damaged.

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

PrezHussein on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Stop it dirtbag.

That’s an old story cooked up by the left wing bloggers that was debunked two years ago.

This sort of crap is not going to get your boy Mittens elected. Hell, NOTHING is going to get him elected. But you are typical of his dirtbag supporters.

You can’t defend his pathetic record as Governor, so you have to push lies about others.

How embarrassing for you both.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Pawlenty, Jindal, Christie, Pence and Thune are shoo-ins. OK. LOL

Obama will win re-election, but he will struggle against an intellectual equal who can press him with facts and is quick on his feet.

Palin? lol.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

PrezHussein on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

ROFL….yeah a 22 year marriage 5 kids and the close interaction between the two all points to that story being true…..Palinhaters really amaze me at times…wait did she throw her ring into the lake too and is todd sleeping on the couch?

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM

My my my. You make Reagan sound like St. Augustine. Get a grip.

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:07 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM

a politican that has governed under Reaganism for 20 years of her career. yeah no reason at all to link the two.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Press him with facts…ROFL…

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

All these guys would appeal to the indies and the Reagan Democrats.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Exactly. Furthermore, people haven’t seen and heard some of these candidates consistently. When they do, the narrative about electability and exemplary performance will be substantively different.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Yeah, and she has tattooed lipliner and she banned books.

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Don’t forget she charged victims for rape kits, had a boob job, doesn’t know how to shoot, has never fished, isn’t Trig’s mother, and is probably Elvis in disguise.

These are some very pathetic little bots.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:07 AM

How old were you when Reagan was President, if I may be so bold to ask?

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM

And Palin has a record of fighting against corruption and entrenched interests and getting thigns done which Reagan, bless the man, didn’t have during similar periods of their lives. Each one has their own accomplishments, what they have in common is principled conservatism and love for America.

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Press him with facts…ROFL…

Yes, press him with the facts; in well reasoned, comprehensible English instead of a jumbled Palinesque verbal Cobb salad.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

ddrintn on December 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Might I say respectfully that Gov. Palin is NOT Ronald Reagan.
She’s a good, decent conservative-but another Reagan…not even close.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Palin? lol.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

you must have been out to lunch for the last 18 months as Palin pressed Obama on issue after issue with facts and with quick timely comebacks. The rest of the GOp candidates not so much maybe they were out to lunch with you.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Aggressive campaigns? Jindal? He who bowed out of limelight after some mild criticism about his SOTU speech likening him to Kenneth the Page comparisions. lol.

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

What makes you so sure that it will be substantively different? As I said, any GOP candidate who poses a threat to unseating Obama is in for a hell of a media beating. Are you certain that Pence can come out of that without looking like a wild-eyed Fundie? Realllllyyyyy?

I’ll refer once again to an excellent AmSpec article :

Whoever emerges as the winner of the 2012 GOP nomination is in reality in line to be Palinized. Painted as the next Republican too dumb to be president.

Is Sarah Palin dumb?

Of course not. What a dumb question. It’s also the wrong question. Who’s asking this question is a better question. And how dumb are they to be asking it? Or worse, dumber by simply asserting it as fact.

The only people who are dumb — really dumb — are those inside the Republican political-consultant complex who think that by nominating someone other than Governor Palin they will have a nominee capable of avoiding this particularly dumb fate.

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I guessed you missed the passionate speeches Gov. Jindal gave during the Gulf oil spill crisis.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Zing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

How old were you when Reagan was President, if I may be so bold to ask?

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Old enough to know that he wasn’t considered to be an “intellectual”.

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Beat me to it.
Great minds and all…

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM

From behind her Facebook page?

Was she even typing those missives with her own hands? Was she formulating those thoughts with her own mind or was it a consultant or policy adviser?

How do we know?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Zing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

So what’s he doing now? I agree Jindal was great in the oil spill. How about health care?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Do I want you to list some? Sure I do. I like as much relevant info as possible.

On virtually any thread devoted to possible candidates, everyone talks about the pros and cons. It seems you, however, take issue only with the cons of your girls candidacy.

Certainly any candidate has to be prepared to withstand the rigors of presidential primary and general election scrutiny. Nobody has a flawless and perfect past. Nobody. But damage has a cumulative effect. The longer a candidate remains damaged, the more the damage solidifies in public perception.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

You must realize by now that Reagan and Palin are apples and oranges.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM

No actually they are cut from the same cloth. Hell, REAGAN’S OWN SON has called her nothing less than the Second Coming

You couldn’t find another person in the world that embodies the spirit of Ronald Reagan better than Sarah Palin.

I know you are uneducated, but if you were smart you’d know that Palin studied Reagan well. He is her political hero. She’s read everything he ever wrote and pretty much everything written about him.

Her own political career mirrors his, as does her philosophy.

In many ways, she’s better than Reagan because not only did she learn what he did right, she has the benefit of understanding what he did wrong. In this she is able to stand on Ronnie’s shoulders and be an even stronger leader.

Wise up.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

From behind her Facebook page?

How do we know?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Is Pawlenty forming his own ideas, or is someone doing it for him? How do we know?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM

How do we know?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM

because If it wans’t her we would know about it from every liberal source on every frontpage everyday. The fact that the MSM can not prove it is not her doing it means it is her.

Like the hound of the baskerville It is the fact that you don’t hear the bark that is the evidence you are not seeing..

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Oh, bullshit. “My girl’s candidacy”. The point is, how many weaknesses of those other candidates have you pointed out?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Go girl!

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Palin’s Vindication

Congress: The GOP establishment — and some conservative pundits — ridiculed Sarah Palin for backing rough-edged Tea Party challengers over establishment figures. Recent congressional votes prove her right.

Tea Party favorite Christine O’Donnell was lampooned, caricatured as a dolt and a fanatic, and accused of everything from money laundering to witchcraft during her campaign for Vice President Joe Biden’s old U.S. Senate seat in Delaware this year.

What could have gotten into former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who was instrumental in getting O’Donnell the GOP nod over moderate at-large Rep. Mike Castle, a former governor and shoo-in for the open seat?

Well, guess who just voted with the House of Representatives’ lame-duck Democratic majority to ignore military concerns and repeal “don’t ask, don’t tell”? “Republican” Mike Castle did.

Guess who just voted for the Dream Act, which would have granted amnesty and instant eligibility for welfare and government education benefits to millions of illegal aliens, costing the taxpayers tens of billions of dollars? “Republican” Mike Castle did.

Charles Krauthammer, a national treasure among syndicated columnists and IBD regular, seriously questioned Palin’s judgment in backing O’Donnell. “Castle voted against ObamaCare and the stimulus,” Krauthammer noted in September. “Yes, he voted for cap-and-trade. That’s batting .667.”

But having lost both the Senate nomination and his House seat — won in November by Democratic former Lt. Gov. John Carney — the lame-duck session is lowering Castle’s batting average.

It’s clear that whatever eccentricities O’Donnell exhibited, none would have compelled her to vote for either of these appalling bills. Or for the half-baked New START nuclear disarmament treaty that the Obama administration is demanding the Senate blindly ratify without fully knowing what it would do, absurdly claiming that our national security lies in the balance…..

…Murkowski, the Journal Web site’s Hotline On Call noted, “supported the president’s position on the Senate’s four biggest votes since last Wednesday,” voting with fellow Alaska Sen. Mark Begich, a liberal Democrat, “in favor of the tax cut compromise and to invoke cloture on the New START treaty, the Dream Act and the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’”….

…..The lesson: When Mama Grizzly roars, maybe the Beltway know-it-alls should listen.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM
The whiners don’t, they just want to whine.

djohn669 on December 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

So how does “damage solidify”? If Pence is caricatured as a wild-eyed theocratic Fundie, should I help that “damage solidification” by referring to Pence as a wild-eyed theocratic Fundie whenever the topic of his candidacy comes up? We’re not talking about “fair” here. If I happen to decide that Pence is “damaged” becasue the NYT thinks he’s a potential theocrat, then dude, he’s damaged for good and all. Right?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Well, this is a Romney thread, and there are plenty of weaknesses that were pointed out. When AP or Ed give us the material on other candidates, those are filled with the same.

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM

To every Palinista doing the Reagan / Palin conparisons:

Pick up a copy of “Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America and then get back to me about what it means to form a depth of political.

He was the last of an era of political THINKERS. he came to his philosophy by serious study, thought and ground level politicking.

To compare his journey, yes his intellectual journey, to Sarah Palin is a damned joke. Palin supporters (at least the ones here) that are making this comparison between the two, are simply not to be taken seriously. Their lack of historical perspective reveals an ignorance that doesn’t speak well of the candidate they are supporting.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Palin family is soooo perfect its so true nothing bad could have ever happened to get their kids to act out.

PrezHussein on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Doesn’t change the fact that under the slightest criticism about a speech, that frankly, no one could have done well, he went and hid for a year.

The media comes after Palin and she goes for their jugular.

Ain’t no one else capable of doing it. No.One.

That’s the difference between a true leader, a real Commander-in-Chief, versus a better than average Governor.

Bobby Jindal is a very good Governor and a very fine man. But he isn’t in the same league as Sarah Palin. No one is. No. One.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Have you read America by Heart? if not pick up a copy and then get back to me.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

PrezHussein on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

who said they were perfect? nice strawman you got going. build it higher and fill it out some…

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I agree Jindal was great in the oil spill. How about health care?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Jindal’s stance on healthcare. And this.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Yes, watch an interview with him and watch the ease with which he handle questions. His answers have some depth and he can conduct a back and forth with ease and substance.

Do I ever get that sense when watching Palin struggle for words?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Jindal has potential but he needs to go and brush up on leadership skills.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Yeah, right. And the reaction is instantly to say “well Palin’s worse! Neener neener! Unelectablectablectbaleunelectable!”

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Do I ever get that sense when watching Palin struggle for words?

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

that says more about you than her.

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I agree Jindal was great in the oil spill. How about health care?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Jindal’s stance on healthcare. And this.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

So why are you having to link this?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I voted for Reagan. You want to know how Reagan won because everybody hated Carter period. They hated Carter so much that the voted for a actor the star with a monkey over him. Nobody knew about his writings.

djohn669 on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

And Reagan didn’t have the trailblazing corruption busting record of Palin. By the way, who among the present crop of hopefuls meet your standard of years of deeap study? Or is the Palin the only one subjected to this standard?

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Or, you can watch Brit Hume’s excellent series “The Right All Along”. Brit Hume did a great job in portraying Ronald Reagan’s journey.

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

So a TPaw supporter huh?

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:36 AM

To every Palinista doing the Reagan / Palin conparisons:

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I’ve read the book, I’ve also read America By Heart. It’s ALSO a vision for America by a solid THINKER.

I bet you HAVE NOT read it. Of course, by the “quality” of the BS you are slinging I doubt you’ve read Reagan either.

You don’t appear smart enough to comprehend Reagan.

You’re more of the Alvin Greene type who just says the same crap over and over because that’s what’s written on the piece of paper in front of you.

You are nothing more than a pathetic little hatemonger with nothing to say.

I don’t care if you are a left wing plant or just a dumbass, your act is wearing thin.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Apples and oranges again. We’re talkin’ long term damage here that goes beyond a presidential cycle. If Pence were characterized as a wild-eyed theo-wonk, it wouldn’t have as much time to resonate and it wouldn’t be nearly as sordid and, therefore less captivating, as the drawn-out solidified damage of another candidate.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:38 AM

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

While he doesn’t have her celebrity status, Gov. Jindal- as far as conservative values, intelligence, and leadership skills go-is EVERY bit Gov. Palin’s equal.
I would go as far as saying-respectfully of course-that he’s her better.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM

So why are you having to link this?

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Because you asked about his position on healthcare.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I would go as far as saying-respectfully of course-that he’s her better.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Right-on!

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Get Jindal in the primaries and lets have the war.

djohn669 on December 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM

ddrintn on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

What’s the difference. Some people are equally as critical of Mittens, and yes, they question his electability.

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I saw that episode. Actually, I’ve been watching that series religiously.
I was 10 when RR was elected and 18 when he left office.
As I’ve told my son, I feel so blessed to have come-of-age during the Reagan era. It was a great time to be growing up.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Guess you didn’t pay attention to Jindal during the oil spill.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Neither did the obamanation…Jindal seems to have a good background and we’re lucky that his predecessor imploded during and after Katrina or Jindal probably wouldn’t be Gov. of La today…Glad he is…

Gohawgs on December 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM

anXdem on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

That is the exact argument I make WRT Palin: When she gets going, she will change minds. It is unnecessary to close down the possibilities this far out, for anyone.

alwaysfiredup on December 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM

promachus on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Yea claiming you were done in by the ethic laws you thought were awesome is definitely a record.

PrezHussein on December 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Well I hang my head in shame my first vote was for Carter. Wised up soon after.

djohn669 on December 21, 2010 at 12:45 AM

You don’t appear smart enough to comprehend Reagan.

You are nothing more than a pathetic little hatemonger with nothing to say.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM

And here comes Gary with more name calling in order to shut down the discussion.

Sara must be so proud of your antic’s.

Knucklehead on December 21, 2010 at 12:45 AM

PrezHussein on December 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM

you got any comment on why AK changed its ethics laws this month?

unseen on December 21, 2010 at 12:46 AM

You are nothing more than a pathetic little hatemonger with nothing to say.

gary4205 on December 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Palinista in a nutshell.

rickyricardo on December 21, 2010 at 12:46 AM

rickyricardo

Anti-palinbot in a nutshell, two can play that game.

djohn669 on December 21, 2010 at 12:48 AM