Meme of the day: Haley Barbour in hot water over race comments

posted at 8:18 pm on December 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

Matt Yglesias was the first, I believe, to seize on the key passage from Barbour’s interview with the Weekly Standard, but the pipeline from lefty blogs to bigger media moves quickly and now they’re off to the races. The DNC’s already jumped on it too, making this a semi-official sneak preview of what an Obama/Barbour 2012 campaign will look like. If he’s the nominee, Democrats will spend six solid months shrieking about racism in order to deflect attention from Obama’s record.

Mitigating factor: That’s actually their game plan no matter who the nominee is.

Both Mr. Mott and Mr. Kelly had told me that Yazoo City was perhaps the only municipality in Mississippi that managed to integrate the schools without violence. I asked Haley Barbour why he thought that was so.

“Because the business community wouldn’t stand for it,” he said. “You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you’d lose it. If you had a store, they’d see nobody shopped there. We didn’t have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City.”

In interviews Barbour doesn’t have much to say about growing up in the midst of the civil rights revolution. “I just don’t remember it as being that bad,” he said. “I remember Martin Luther King came to town, in ’62. He spoke out at the old fairground and it was full of people, black and white.”

He also copped to having spent most of his time at MLK’s speech checking out girls. One thing he’s being hammered for is the “I just don’t remember it as being that bad” line, but as I read it, that wasn’t his take on the injustice of discrimination but rather how Yazoo City specifically coped with racial tensions. No violence in school desegregation, no Klan welcome in town, and a mixed audience for King’s address: Relative to other southern hot spots, I take him as saying, the town made racial progress peacefully. The other thing he’s getting hit for is whitewashing the Citizens Councils, a.k.a. the White Citizens Councils, which were essentially pro-segregationist groups for people too “respectable” for the Klan. Again, the way I read his quote was that he was describing only the Yazoo City chapter, not the overall organization (a point stressed by Barbour’s spokesman to TPM). Maybe the local CC’s mission had become less toxic by the time Barbour was a teen, or maybe he was simply naive about what the group’s true purpose was, remembering his hometown through “rose-colored glasses,” as Geraghty says. No doubt reporters are dialing up local historians as we speak to find out whether Barbour could earnestly and honestly be mistaken.

Whatever the answer, though, I agree with DrewM at Ace’s site that for a would-be presidential candidate who’s universally recognized for his political savvy, Barbour’s handling of the subject here was oddly clumsy. As you’ll see below, he’s keenly aware that “fat rednecks” will be held to a higher standard on certain topics than other candidates; running head-to-head against the first black president, that standard will be stratospherically high, yet here he is seeming to shrug off the local Citizens Council. It reminds me of Mitch Daniels continuing to wonder aloud about a truce on social issues or a VAT (coupled with an income tax): Knowing what your opponents will do with that, why hand them the ammunition? Exit quotation from Dan McLaughlin: “Fact #1: Haley Barbour may be the best potential POTUS in GOP field. Fact #2: a white man his age from MS may not be electable, as such.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He is from the South…….therefore he is a racist.
He is a Republican…….….therefore he is a Klansman.

The Palinization of the 2012 contenders begins!!

PappyD61 on December 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Did he learn nothing from Trent?

chumpThreads on December 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Just another typical white person. Time for white to make right.

Bishop on December 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Freeze the target. Bash its brains in.

The Left seizes its own projections and makes them into decals it spreads on ideological enemies. There’s no there there. Where’s Rev “you punk faggot” Sharpton on this one?

Western_Civ on December 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Ii kind of read it as he was talking about Yazoo City and that he was proud that they would not put up with the Klan. Maybe he should be more politically savvy today but if he was talking about his childhood memories I can kind of get it. One thing I do know, I am sick of the race card being pulled for anything and everything and I do not think I am alone. What has the man done while he has been in power that points to him being a racist? Judge the man on his body of work not on his childhood memories!

bluemarlin on December 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

You know this painting with a broad brush is stupid. I was raised in the 50′s & 60′s in Virginia but when you are a kid you don’t know what’s going on, just what you see. While I am sure there was segregation all around me, when I was at the shipyards with my dad, there seemed to be men of all colors working together.

Cindy Munford on December 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Like they did against McCain?
Oh, you’re just “poisoning the well”.
Carry on…

chumpThreads on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I really don’t envy Barbour. He holds a bad hand just by virtue of his birth. It used to be that minorities got shabby treatment in the press. Now Southerners are subject to discrimination.

That is, unfortunately, why Barbour will never be elected president. There are too many pervasive stereotypes, too many skeletons to be raised, and too many Northerners who can only view someone like Barbour through the prism of race.

Do I think Barbour would make a great president? Of course I do. He’s a political genius and as wonky as anyone. But he has to be elected first, and neither the national media nor the national mindset will ever allow him.

KingGold on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

You know, I am probably close to Haley Barbours age, and I was born, raised, and live in New Orleans. I would have answered the question exactly as he did. Am I a racist too?

lukespapa on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Herman Cain is the Obama-anti-matter!

Dandapani on December 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I heard he once felt up a girl.

BL@KBIRD on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

From Allahpundits’ post above.

This should be Mittigating.

//PrezHussein mode off//

massrighty on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Too bad this guy can’t be the right’s darling instead of Sarah Falin. But he’s even more unelectable – being a race realist these days gets a bullseye painted on your back, nevermind that the South has earned itself a bad rap on several counts.

Dark-Star on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Post-racial

SouthernGent on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

No joke. I just stopped at memeorandum before this post and had to scroll down a while to get to the next story. This is like the Apocalypse or something.

That is what the Left and their cohorts in the MSM will do to the next GOP candidate (excluding Palin since she’s been vetted for the past 2 years). Barbour isn’t a serious potential contender anyway, and look what they’re doing to him over one comment.

conservative pilgrim on December 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Robert “Sheets” Byrd could not be reached for comment.

Cicero43 on December 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM

This is why I’m unconvinced a “dark horse” (if I can say that on a racially tinged thread) will be the winner many speculate.

Whoever gets ahead by a nose will quickly get hit with anything the Libs/Dems can dig up or make up (e. g., the Iseman story in the NYT).

This is why I think we need a scrapper for 2012.

cs89 on December 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I think it’s time to ignore the race-baiting liberal left. Their cries of racist, homophobe, etc is getting very old.

It would be nice though to bring a little history into the subject. Who started the KKK? Which party fought the hardest against integration? I can tell you this, it wasn’t the Republicans.

iamsaved on December 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Robert Byrd was the only Klansman I know to be elected, and he was a democrat.

It’s a very different world today than it was back then. The only ones crying racism is the Justice Brothers.

So, Palin is unelectable because of her negatives
Barbour is unelectable because he’s a racist

Kini on December 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

conservative pilgrim on December 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Maybe he is living in their heads “rent free”.. :)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Robert “Sheets” Byrd could not be reached for comment.

Cicero43 on December 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Is Joe Biden available?

CWforFreedom on December 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I think the exit quotations are both right, unfortunately.

IU_Conservative on December 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM

If he’s the nominee they’ll cast him as Boss Hogg trying to take the Oval away from Poor Little Barry.

lizzie beth on December 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM

As sad as it is, the toolbag’s campaign would destroy anyone from MS. You can be you’ll hear John Lewis making up stuff to slime Barbour. Play it safe; our nominee should come from the midwest.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Maybe he is living in their heads “rent free”.. :)

Dire Straits on December 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Barbour? But why?

conservative pilgrim on December 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM

bet*

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM

It’s all madness now all the time. That’s what the Left has wrought.

There’s only one way out, but it’s unimaginable for this crowd of ninnies in the GOP. That is, you stand up and cuff these people down as soon as they open their mouths. You stand up as soon as they do, put them down as soon as they try to do the same to you. You knock them down and don’t let them up.

As soon as they start one of these little wars, you escalate it, widen it, commit yourself to a fiercer and bloodier war. You stand for NOTHING, you take it right to their doorstep every time. EVERY TIME they start the fight, you finish it, and you inflict more casualties than you took. You take it straight to the MSM and call them out. You make them pay. You NEVER play defense, never delude yourself into thinking compromise leads to peace, apologies to forgiveness, or that a truce is EVER possible with these people. You accept the premise of total war.

But like I said, unimaginable given the current crowd of knaves, knee-knocking PC weaklings and MSM ass-kissers in the GOP.

rrpjr on December 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Like they did against McCain?
Oh, you’re just “poisoning the well”.
Carry on…

chumpThreads on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Check this; Obama wasn’t an incumbent in 2008; so, no, they didn’t scream racism to deflect from his record – he didn’t have one.

Rather, Obama’s campaign made sure to do as much as possible to make any criticism of Obama seem racist/phobic. This innoculation strategy made certain critical comments off limits.

massrighty on December 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

This is why I think we need a scrapper for 2012.

cs89 on December 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM

It’s only Palin who’s fighting her way back through the swamp, the others hasn’t really stepped into it yet.

In that way she’s the most battle tested of them all.

the_nile on December 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

For the left everything comes down to race. It really is a game the left loves to play.

William Amos on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I’m so tired of race as a topic. I honestly couldn’t give less of a sh*t if somebody thought I was racist or not. I really couldn’t.

Want muslims to face extra scrutiny at airports? Racist.

Don’t want amnesty for illegals? Racist.

Think Obama is a squish who can’t make decisions and has no business being in the White House? Racist.

So go ahead. Call me a racist if you want. I really don’t care.

/rant

KSgop on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

You betcha!

Ian on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

“…the “I just don’t remember it as being that bad” line, but as I read it, that wasn’t his take on the injustice of discrimination but rather how Yazoo City specifically coped with racial tensions.”

That’s exactly how he meant it. Anyone who says otherwise is full of BS.

JimP on December 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM

It wasn’t even a race comment. I’m supposed to be happy now and I keep getting bad news.

tomas on December 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM

So go ahead. Call me a racist if you want. I really don’t care.

/rant

KSgop on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Raaaaacist!

/you asked…

massrighty on December 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I seriously hope that all Rs undergo a full oppo research vetting….very detailed of their personal, financial and political history

this is going to be brutal with the obamabot press setting the memes for weeks on end. the press can not afford to have their guy fail

r keller on December 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Another reason for the left to pounce on Barbour, he and his fellow Mississippians rolled up their collective sleeves after Katrina and went to work rebuilding lives and structures instead of playing victim…

Gohawgs on December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

and, btw, that is one positive thing about palin…she’s already been vetted

r keller on December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

chump…. you think if a GOPer had Biden’s history of racist comments that they would have survived? Really?

CWforFreedom on December 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Haley Barbour must have Barack Obama syndrome. Obama sat in a racist church for twenty years and couldn’t remember anything untoward either.

JavelinaBomb on December 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM

KSgop on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

+ One trillion. I am not sure that this ploy hasn’t backfired and that the term hasn’t lost it’s sting from overuse. Of course I guess it’s different when you are running for office and have that garbage heaped on you day and night by both opposition and “friendly” media.

Cindy Munford on December 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM

and, btw, that is one positive thing about palin…she’s already been vetted

r keller on December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

And she’s now trained in fighting back , on day one.

the_nile on December 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I heard he once felt up a girl.

BL@KBIRD on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Gasp!

katy the mean old lady on December 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I hope the media doesn’t call Barbour a racist or the No Labels people will just be livid.

JavelinaBomb on December 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I’m just thankful that 1) our nation is socially tolerant enough that this fellow can voice such things without fear of slander or any ill will being directed towards the speaker, and 2), that the federally-driven improvements to the black community since the ’60s have enabled them to establish a solid overall family structure and maintain reliable employment levels throughout, but especially for the highly impressionable 16-19 year olds.

rogerb on December 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM

JavelinaBomb on December 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM

The power of media to bury bodies.

the_nile on December 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

STOP THE PRESSES.

Democrats are calling a Republican a racist!

That’s never ever happened before.

Zzzzz.

Good Lt on December 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

nevermind that the South has earned itself a bad rap on several counts.

Dark-Star on December 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Oh, please.

Cindy Munford on December 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Macaca!! / Bad

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” Vice Presidential Material

CWforFreedom on December 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

rrpjr on December 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Exactly!

justltl on December 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Seeing as the Klan was the Democrat’s SEIU in the 50s and 60s, is the complaining that Barbour was ok with kicking Robert Byrd’s boys out of town?

18-1 on December 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Did Barbour spend 20 years of Sundays listening to a “preacher” shriek hatred towards other races? Call for the deaths of Americans? Call the murder of thousands of Americans as “chickens coming home to roost”?

Then what’s the big deal?

Crawford on December 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Gohawgs on December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

RACIST!!!!

18-1 on December 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

every gop contender–except mittens, i predict– will be treated this way by the press. Barbour is going to get the Boss Hogg treatment.

james23 on December 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Gohawgs on December 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Excellent point. You’ll never hear the MSM wonder why Obama didn’t give a damn about post-Katrina Mississippi or the floods in Nashville and Lousiana’s oil spill. It’s because those disasters didn’t involve his base. They involved the politically incorrect middle class who fend for themselves and are the backbone of this country.

TxAnn56 on December 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

What do you expect from a white redneck racist southerner…aren’t they all like that.?/

d1carter on December 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

The Palinization of the 2012 contenders begins!!

PappyD61 on December 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

THIS. Any of you Palin bashers who think she is the only GOP contender un-electable… HEH! The MSM will find every nugget on ANY candidate and Salinsky them to death and make them just as un-electable. Another Palin meme bites the dust..

davek70 on December 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

It didn’t “kind of” read that way, that’s exactly how it reads….well, unless the reader is a lying piece of liberal scum.

xblade on December 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I was never impressed with him either way so I really don’t care. He’s not going to be president.

jimmy the notable on December 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

OT: Mark Steyn guest hosting for Hannity on Fox News.

BuckeyeSam on December 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Well so much for the meme that only Palin brings out the hate form the left.

while haley’s comments are worrying here I think the take away is that the left has perfected their attacks over the last decade. They did it with Bush it worked so well they won the Congress and the WH. then they did it with Palin and it works so well they even got the Gop elites joining in on it. Now they will take that perfected attack and replicate it to anyone and everyone in the GOP they view as a threat.

This is just the 1st stage stopping people before the primary they view as a threat. Wait until you see what they do to the person that wins the nomination if that pewrson hasn’t been vetted and attacked for the last 2 years. The left/MSM will destroy the nominee. Our only hope is to nominate someone tha thas shown they can hit back twice as hard.

we will se ehow haley handles this.

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

d1carter on December 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Narutoboy would tell you yes, we are all Bubbas in the South according to him! So why would the rest of his core group think any different? Of course we are the ones who are close minded dontcha know.

bluemarlin on December 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

james23 on December 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

mitt will be treated like this also….they will just wait until after he is nominated to really start throwing the dirt and Mitt has so much dirt to throw. Just his flip-flops alone will sink him.

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

You know who this is good for?

The Democrats don’t have much left they can throw at Palin. She has stood up to their onslaught and is still standing.

huckleberryfriend on December 20, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Democrats calling a Republican racist. YAWN.

Lizzy on December 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM

xblade on December 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Fair enough, I retract “kind of” and hereby amend to “I read it as..” :)

bluemarlin on December 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM

NO GOP CANDIDATE IN 2012 IS ELECTABLE.

Now that we’ve established that the Marxist Lapdance Media will tear ANY NOMINEE of the party to shreds can we just decide who the CONSERVATIVES in the party want?

PappyD61 on December 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM

We need a candidate that can handle interviews well unlike Haley who flobbed an easy interview. We need candidates like this:

Anyone watching either interview can see that Democrat Roberts did fine. She pressed Governor Palin on a variety of issues. Nevertheless, Democrat Roberts was simply no match for Palin and that’s why you see the Democrat Party and Zurawik attacking an African-American Democrat.

It’s pretty easy to understand why Zurawik and the Democrat Party are so upset with the interview. It destroys the Democrat Party’s talking point that Governor Palin cannot perform well in an interview that is not conducted with Fox News or conservative talk show hosts. Zurawik and the Democrat Party have relied upon this false talking point for the better part of the last year. It’s pretty hard to continue pushing this narrative with a straight face when you see Governor Palin being interviewed by a prominent African-American Democrat. In fact, it’s unlikely that Zurawik and the Democrat Party can point to one instance over the last two years where Barack Obama performed well in an interview with someone who openly voted for the McCain/Palin ticket.

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Race comments? Wow. From the headline, I was expecting to read that he had said something that might have been offensive. If this is the best the dems will be able to come up with on the “Haley Barbour’s a racist” line of attack, they might as well stick with the “Haley Barbour’s a communist spy” theme, because it will be about as convincing.

morganfrost on December 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Why would you think that? When was the last time a reporter cared about actual facts? They will write whatever helps the D’s and hurts the R’s. Facts be damned.

free on December 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Hmmmm…
Barbour’s from the deep south…
He’s white…
He’s old enough to have lived through the civil rights period…
He speaks with a thick southern drawl…
I know! Let’ paint him as a bigoted southern racist/son of a slave owner!

Now that was hard to figure out what the Democrat media complex was doing to Barbour!

OxyCon on December 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

“Yazooooooooo–OOooooooo!”

Coronagold on December 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM

free on December 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

agreed this was shown in 2008 with all the false misleading stories the media ran with. They contiue to this day because the GOp establishment does not call them on it. Until we get politicans that call out the MSM for their lies and falsehoods it will continue to be that way.

unseen on December 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM

KSgop on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Ever since third grade I’ve not been bothered by any label cast at me. They are the weapons of children.

OldEnglish on December 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The lesson of 2008, which so many seem not to want to learn. Yes, your preferred candidate WILL be Palinized. It’s just a matter of whether it happens before or after the primary.

Missy on December 20, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Barbour was a kid when this stuff happened. I remember standing being at our local pool hall when the Equal Rights Amendment passed and the owner telling us to grab pool cues and beat back the group of blacks that had assembled outside if they tried to come in.

I was 15 years old. I’m sure my limited view of that period of time was very different from my parents, from city leaders, and from the black community. Barbour’s only mistake was he should have explained with a little more detail and also mentioned he was only 13 when MLK Jr came to Yazoo City.

The majority of whites in the South during the 1960′s were against integration and lived their lives that way. Barbour was only a teenager during this time and the Democrats have sunk to their usual level in attacking him for his recollection of something from 50 years ago.

huckleberryfriend on December 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Obviously I meant the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

huckleberryfriend on December 20, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Like they did against McCain?
Oh, you’re just “poisoning the well”.
Carry on…

chumpThreads on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

What do you do when you’re Toad Away?

Del Dolemonte on December 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Little Boy Blue
come blow your horn.
The sheep’s in the meadow
the cow’s in the corn.

Where is the Boy
who looks after the sheep?
He’s under the haystack fast asleep!

TN Mom on December 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Racism? Far from it and I have decent radar for hate talk. This does not move the meter.

FireBlogger on December 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Most of the violence related to integration was in the north not the south.

roux on December 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Watch for the SRM to incorporate this l’il QWiki into the meme…

…skipped the first semester of his senior year to work on Richard Nixon’s 1968 election campaign…

soundingboard on December 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Once again, the hypocrisy of the left. What a sad existence they must have, with nothing to do but pick apart a speech trying to find something, anything, to make someone a racist, or a bigot, or a homophobe. Yet, these same people, have to go out and defend the likes of Joe Biden, Barbara Boxer, and the rest of the bigotted Democrats, on a daily basis.

The beauty of it is they’ve lost their credibility. Who’s going to trust them to be telling the truth, after they’ve played the race-card so many times. Some things never will change.

bflat879 on December 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM

This is very true for the South, desegregation went off much more smoothly than it did in places like Boston. The most respected man in the small town where I grew up (Vinton, LA) was a black auto mechanic who could repair any automatic transmission. That was a pretty big deal in the early 1960′s. When Blacks were allowed to enter white schools there was no problem at all. Then the schools were combined without a hitch. There were no riots, no beatings, no nothing.

Yes we used the “N Word” but no differently than African American is used today. It was not used as a pejorative, only as a description of ones race. White Trash was considered a far worse term by both races.

Kermit on December 20, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Like Mitch Daniels, this guy is good only on paper. We’ve never seen him on campaign trail or on tv, so we don’t know how he’ll respond to fire. Of course, he has all the right connections, so that’s what counts in GOP today.

If the MSM goes full tilt on him as they did on Palin, I for one am going to sit back and enjoy and not jump to lift a little finger. I have grown to dislike the entire canon of GOP men, they threw a decent woman and her family to the wolves. I have no sympathy for them. When they face the fire, I am going to join and throw a few stones myself.

promachus on December 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Is this poor sod going to duck like Jindal after a few shots?

promachus on December 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Is this poor sod going to duck like Jindal after a few shots?

promachus on December 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Do elaborate.

katy the mean old lady on December 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Haley Barbour was born on October 22, 1947. He’s a month and a half younger than I am. We were thirteen years old in 1960. Give me a break!

ncjetsfan on December 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM

katy the mean old lady on December 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Jindal gave a poorly received SOTU speech, and the LEft started comparing him to Kenenth the Page an dhe ducked and never reappared on national tv again.

promachus on December 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Really? I’m bored already and it is still 2010. So, we’ve got a racist, an idiot, a RINO, a VAT lover….what else can we come up with before Christmas? All to face the most brilliant politician ever. Might as well concede right now and save the nation from questioning the ONE.

cab8505 on December 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM

isolate…demonize…

Sorry Chumps you underestimate the American People.

This is food for fodder.

I hope for the Best on January 4 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all, HA

seesalrun on December 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I’m thinking Joe the effing Plumber would be more savvy than this.

The Grand Ol’ Party needs a transfusion.

hillbillyjim on December 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Want muslims to face extra scrutiny at airports? Racist.

Don’t want amnesty for illegals? Racist.

So go ahead. Call me a racist if you want. I really don’t care.

/rant

KSgop on December 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I agree with you. I’m soooo tired of this all my life. (51 yrs old) When does it end?

I think alot of people feel the same way. We’re not racist and we don’t feel any need anymore to prove that to anyone who questions it.

Including Independents who are tired of it all.

So I think Haley Barbour is definately electable, maybe one of our best candidates for nominee. I’m sure they will paint him as racist. They will try with everyone.

I think after 4 years of Obama, people just won’t care anymore. The charge will fall on deaf ears. People will just want Obama out. The ones who like Obama or will question Barbour beliefs on race wouldn’t be voting Republican anyway.

Elisa on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM

And I don’t think Barbour said anything wrong anyway. Obviously he was talking about the place he grew up specifically and praising it for being less racist than other places.

Elisa on December 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I’m a Yankee ex-lefty.

This wouldn’t have moved my meter a tiny amount in my lefty days.

He sounds to me like he was sincerely proud of what his town did for integration and equality. And proud that it happened in the South.

And he said it in a very down-to-earth, non-phony, non-”Some-of-my best-friends-are-….” way.

Man, I really hate what the left has become.

Dreadnought on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

promachus on December 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Jindal is on national TV alot on news shows. Especially after the oil spill. He did a superb job on TV talking about that and Hurricane Gustav. Most importantly he did a good job handling both of these and made good sensible decisions and executed clean ups with good results.

I’m so tired of our side saying our good candidats are unelectable. My 3 favorites, Jindal, Barbour, Palin. Nope, none are good.

We need to play offense and not defense. We need to stop letting the left and the media control the discussion and set the agenda.

Elisa on December 21, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Elisa on December 21, 2010 at 12:22 AM

And Jindal did a great job clearly defining the opposition to Obamacare.

Elisa on December 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM

He’s old enough to have lived through the civil rights period…

OxyCon on December 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM

BTW, Barbour was born in 1947, which makes you ~15 in 1962.
Just how much of “How the City is Really Run” do you think a 15 year old was responsible for? I am pretty sure he wasn’t the on the town council.

barnone on December 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Like they did against McCain?

chumpThreads on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Exactly. In fact, it was Mr. Obama himself who led the charge against “they”. A cute word, “they” — it means as much or as little as the author wants it to mean, only in this case, everyone knew who “they” were — and McCain was one of them.

unclesmrgol on December 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM

iamsaved on December 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM

No. We’ve done that for decades and it only plays into their hands. They like having conservatives “ignore” them and it’s what they’re hoping for more of. We need to get louder and louder and fight back. That’s what’s made the Tea Party such a success.

Django on December 21, 2010 at 12:47 AM