PFC Manning’s “Shameful” Treatment?

posted at 1:00 pm on December 19, 2010 by Jazz Shaw

My goal of trying to focus on more positive, happy thoughts and keep my blood pressure down during the holidays this year officially collapsed this weekend. Why, you ask? Because I’ve finally read onetoomanyimbecilic articles on the “horrible” conditions under which PFC Bradley Manning – of Wikileaks fame – is being held at Quantico.

I should point out up front that while I do not claim credentials as any sort of expert on this subject, I’m not approaching the story from complete ignorance. During six years in the United States Navy I not only experienced a wide variety of conditions seen by those in service, but did a T.A.D. stint with the Military Police where I supervised prisoners and became familiar with confinement facilities both on shore and at sea. And I’m here to tell you that some of these self-styled human rights experts and legal analysts have probably been smoking something which the authorities would also frown upon.

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that PFC Manning may very well have done something which could amount to treason during a time of war, let’s look at some of the “shameful” conditions the young man is enduring.

His cell is approximately six feet wide and twelve feet in length.

I’m sorry… did you say twelve feet long? Not only is that bigger than the cells in the brig on every ship I was on, but the task force admiral’s stateroom on the flag bridge of our carrier wasn’t twelve feet long. This guy is staying in the military equivalent of the Ritz-Carlton, if only terms of floor space. Oh… and he’s in jail, remember?

I would also remind Private Manning that if his release of classified information results in even a single soldier, marine, sailor, airman or civilian dying because of his actions they will be staying in a considerably smaller space. It’s called a coffin.

He is allowed to watch television during the day. The television stations are limited to the basic local stations. His access to the television ranges from 1 to 3 hours on weekdays to 3 to 6 hours on weekends.

Wait… what?

He’s watching TV for up to six hours per day on the weekends? Well, you’ve certainly got me there, particularly if you are limiting him to basic cable. I mean, sure, the guy may have betrayed the nation he took an oath to protect, but that’s no reason to make him miss the next season of Nurse Jackie, you cruel animals.

At 5:00 a.m. he is woken up (on weekends, he is allowed to sleep until 7:00 a.m.). Under the rules for the confinement facility, he is not allowed to sleep at anytime between 5:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. If he attempts to sleep during those hours, he will be made to sit up or stand by the guards.

You’re only letting the poor bastard sleep for nine hours a night? I’m trying to remember the last time my family actually let me sleep for nine straight hours.

Must. Not. Smash. Keyboard. Or. Face.

From 7:00 p.m. to 9:20 p.m., he is given correspondence time. He is given access to a pen and paper. He is allowed to write letters to family, friends, and his attorneys. Each night, during his correspondence time, he is allowed to take a 15 to 20 minute shower.

On weekends and holidays, he is allowed to have approved visitors see him from 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.

He is only allowed to have one book or one magazine at any given time to read in his cell. The book or magazine is taken away from him at the end of the day before he goes to sleep.

I’m sorry… is this solitary confinement or Club Med?

He is prevented from exercising in his cell. He does receive one hour of “exercise” outside of his cell daily. He is taken to an empty room and only allowed to walk.

Yes, that’s very sad. But guess what? You’re in jail for what effectively amounts to treason. This is not a spa. We’re very sorry if the tennis courts aren’t located conveniently close to your cell.

There are plenty of jails right here in the United States where conditions are tougher than this, and those are for civilians with their full slate of rights. (For those not familiar, when you enlist in the U.S. military you actually surrender a number of your constitutional rights and fall under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. If you’re not used to it you might not like it. But that’s the way it is.)

And while we’re on the subject, forget American jails. Try spending some time in a jail in Mexico. Or Turkey. Or China.

For all you out there spending your nights wringing your hands over the confinement conditions of Private Manning, here’s a holiday suggestion. Why don’t you contact the U.S.O. and see if you can do something to brighten the days of service members who didn’t sell out their nation? Trust me, you’ll feel better about yourself after you do.

Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go catch up with all the episodes of Nurse Jackie I Tivo’d. Merry Christmas.

Now you can yell at Jazz for being a stupid, wrong-headed RINO even faster than by just leaving a comment. Follow him on Twitter! @JazzShaw

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

At the risk of slamming my head against my desk yet again in severe frustration let me repeat slowly

AG ERIC HOLDER-DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PFC MANNING, USA-DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

DOJ DOES NOT HAVE ANY JURISDICTION

UNDERSTAND YET?!

/curses very thick/stupid civilians on the left & the right

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM

You need to unbunch your skivvies there General Patton.

Barack Hussein Obama is the Commander-in-Chief of your beloved military. If you think Barack Hussein Obama is going to very simply let PFC Manning’s case just slide right through the Military justice system without getting his DOJ involved too, well, “very thick/stupid” comes to mind. Um… your words, not mine.

PFC Manning is in a holding pattern as the investigation continues. Barack Hussein Obama’s DOJ is the outfit investigating this whole mess (ie: The Big Picture), not the military. So I guess we’ll see.

FlatFoot on December 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

HitNRun on December 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Getting Jazz to come out against Private Manning is quite the coup: he marginally to the right of Kos.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

He’s a lucky devil. I use to work at a county jail and I can tell you that showers were 2 times a week. Trust me, the smell was rank in that jail; especially in the midst of a Texas summer.

mizflame98 on December 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

FlatFoot on December 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I am well aware the President Barack Obama is the CiC and has jurisdiction over both DoJ and DoD.

But I could have SWORN that violations of the UCMJ-even treasonous ones such as this-were handled by Army’s CID (Criminal Investigative Division)

AFAIK DoJ is only involved to attempt pursuit of Assange for criminal charges.

Now, I’m sorry that I went kinda nuts there-but apparently most of my civilian friends (of whom I am now as well) think that it works like this.

1.) We catch him
2.) He confesses
3.) AGUSA (aka Eric Holder)charges him with treason based on confession
4.) PFC Manning dangles on end of rope.

Unfortunately although 1 & 2 have happened to an extent step 3 doesn’t exist and step 4 is highly unlikely. I mean look at Robert Hansen.

Anyone know what he got?

Oh wait, that’s right he got life in prison. Just like everyone else convicted of espionage since the Rosenburgs.

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I agree that it is unlikely that he shall get his just deserts; that doesn’t change my mind about what he deserves (or what would be “shameful”), however.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Well, well, if the little darling PFC feels mistreated, why don’t they let him out? I’m sure he would be well received on the streets.

That fool needs to get on his knees and kiss the bars around him because they are the only reason he isn’t in a pine box.

ace tomato on December 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

PFC Manning’s “Shameful” Treatment?

Poor baby!!!

Justice should demand that he get the same treatment as the (hetrosexual) Rosenbergs!!

landlines on December 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

That pic on the main page looks like that girl who had the prisoner on the leash in iraq.

Greed on December 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

While you are absolutely correct in your assertions in my estimation, you might consider that to date, the Obama Administration has seen fit to engage the DOJ in what should clearly be Military matters. There is precedent, and it is disquieting to those of us that Holder is still the AGUSA, and sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong, and refusing to do the job he HAS been charged to perform.

john1schn on December 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I agree that if he’s convicted of something, then yes, these conditions aren’t problematic.
(He hasn’t actually even been charged with anything yet)
cjw79 on December 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Untrue.

He is charged under the UCMJ Articles 92 and 134, for “transferring classified data onto his personal computer and adding unauthorized software to a classified computer system,” and “communicating, transmitting and delivering national defense information to an unauthorized source”
He has already admitted he did this, so proving he did this will not be a problem.

Manning has also been a problem child. He went to whatever the Army’s equivalent of “Captains Mast” (AKA NJP) twice, which is why he’s a PFC and not a higher rank.

Manning had been twice reprimanded, once for assaulting a fellow soldier, and was demoted from Specialist to Private First Class (E-2).

Don’t know if he was an Specialist E-4 or Specialist E-5.

He is still awaiting an article 32 hearing, but at this point that would just be a formality, it’s not possible for him to get NJP for this.

The good news for him is that he’s only looking at (so long as no one dies) 52 years in the brig!
With “Time off for good behavior” and parole he can get out in 52 years.

DSchoen on December 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

The leftists over there with their panties in a wad are disgusting. If they put him in general population, he probably get a chiv. Of course the Gleens is in an uproar but the Kathy person has no clue. What a tool.

gitarfan on December 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

gitarfan on December 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I’d be perfectly OK with GenPop if that would be guaranteed. Save the cost of a trial and rids the United States of traitorous scum.

john1schn on December 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

DSchoen on December 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Few minor errors there
In the Army it’s called an article -15 (Non judicial punishment or Captain’s mast for Navy folk).
Private First Class is E-3, and Specialist is E-4.
There haven’t been any E-5 Specialists since the early 80’s in the Army.

LincolntheHun on December 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

A prediction. Manning beats the rap and gets a role on Glee.

Mason on December 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Manning is fortunate he is in Quantico…

lpierson on December 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM

The start of the new world with LGBT’s in the U.S. military has begun!
You gotta love how the media went all “hush-hush” on the matter of Manning being gay while the Congress voted on the policy of “DADT.”

BTW, In the Army, you may never get promoted from SP-4 to E-5 (SGT/NCO) even if you board multiple times. However, if you get kicked back from a Spec-4 to an E-3 (a PFC,) you must have REALLY screwed up along the line. It must have been a MAJOR infraction of standing orders.
It seems that political-correctness fever in his chain-of-command helped this disgruntled-scumbag do major damage to the U.S.

shorebird on December 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM

the only shameful treatment is that he isn’t yet hanging at the end of a rope for his treason.

American Elephant on December 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM

LincolntheHun on December 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Well, I was in the Navy during the 80′s

I know all branches have NJP, but I don’t know what its call in the Army, Air Force or Marines.
Article -15 works for me!

Private First Class is E-3?
I thought it was Private was an E-1 and Private First Class was a E-2?

I looked it up and your right PFC is an E-3.

The Army’s system is a little confusing, Private is both E-1 and E-2, and Specialists is an E-4 but not a NCO, however Corporal is also an E-4 and a NCO

DSchoen on December 20, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Getting Jazz to come out against Private Manning is quite the coup: he [is] marginally to the right of Kos.

besser tot als rot on December 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Heh. So true…

Jaibones on December 20, 2010 at 7:54 AM

It is Shameful that Manning is receiving treatment that good.

Slowburn on December 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM

The news that Manning is undergoing ritual whippings at dawn and dusk would bring me no tears. The news that Manning’s tormented have hooked up an old Western Electric telephone to electrical wiring clipped to his nuts and were dialing long distance would give me a warm, fuzzy.

Jaibones on December 20, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Well, now that our wonderful liberals in Congress have officially changed our military into a sissy military, this treatment of PFC Manning is obviously cruel and unusual.

olesparkie on December 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM

A prediction. Manning beats the rap and gets a role on Glee.

Mason on December 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Jazz hands…

Illinidiva on December 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Seems we could enact some serious budget-cutting by just turning him loose, and providing up-to-the-minute location reports to WikiLeaks …

Win-Win

CaveatEmpty on December 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I also spent six years in the navy, five of which I was stationed on a submarine. Six by twelve is damn near the size of our COs stateroom. My first year I slept on an inflatable raft in between missile tubes. So yeah, not much pity for this guy from me.

Bill Scrunty on December 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM

What HORRIBLE conditions…well they are just a step or two below Gitmo…something must be done, get this man an X-Box or a Wii or something! Let him know he is cared about!
/sarcasm off

He should be happy they don’t use the firing squads anymore!

TturnP on December 20, 2010 at 8:55 AM

while I don’t care so much about his conditions, I am extremely troubled that we are not more concerned with the fact that he hasn’t been charged with anything. Is the US case so weak or manufactured that they don’t dare charge him? what additional information do they need?
Are we all so willing to give up due process and the right to hear charges brought against us? Let’s be serious about this and not trivialize because you heard a rumor on the internet. Until they actually charge him he is little more than a political prisoner and even the fallen government of empires treated their political prisoners different than common criminals and for all of us to assume guilt without evidence or charges I think is the more dangerous road.
I am more and more disturbed that we are creating precedent for indefinite holding of US citizens that never end. If someone locked up a member of your family threw them in isolation and than assured you that they were traitors would you believe them without proof?

Zekecorlain on December 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Don’tcha’ just LUV hearing from the Moderate Voices?

Heh,heh,heh

franksalterego on December 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Stupidity has more lives than a vampire.

SurferDoc on December 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Why isn’t he allowed to sleep during the day, or to do push-ups in his cell?

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Try thinking. Or do some research. There are good reasons.

SurferDoc on December 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Can we please execute this traitor so we can stop treating him so poorly.

Thune on December 20, 2010 at 9:58 AM

So would you agree that the military can detain your brother in law for a year without trial or charge? If you would be okay with that, fine, I understand the position (and I vigorously disagree). But if you think that would not be okay, please tell me why.

cjw79 on December 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM

My brother in law has cost me so much money, I’d be overjoyed at the prospect.
And he’s not even in the military.

justltl on December 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM

JayVee on December 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM

The only thing that would be “shameful” is if this smug, self-righteous little POS were to be released. – JayVee on December 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I don’t know if he is smug or will be released; however, I want to know who in the heck let him have access to these documents. Someone was not following security protocols or are our security protocols really that lax? More people need to be in the brig right next to Manning.

SC.Charlie on December 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Why isn’t he allowed to sleep during the day, or to do push-ups in his cell?

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Try thinking. Or do some research. There are good reasons.

SurferDoc on December 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM

One reason is to demoralize him. Are there any security reasons?

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Try thinking. Or do some research. There are good reasons.

SurferDoc on December 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Reasons you can’t list yourself because..?

triple on December 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

ITS JUST THE WAY IT IS OKAY?

triple on December 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

he’s just a victim of our racistsexisthomomphobicbigoted society…he should be freed because in our new dadt-free society, whatever gays do is right by definition.

right4life on December 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Manning is on “Prevention of Injury” watch, that’s why all the restrictions. Perhaps he made some comment or gesture that made them believe he had the propensity to hurt himself.

Many years ago I had to stand Base Officer of the Day at Quantico and one of the duties was to tour the Brig. There were several inmates on suicide watch there at the time and I had to check on them and was given the full brief on how they were treated. I went away thinking that if I wasn’t suicidal before being on suicide watch I sure would be afterwards.

SoonerMarine on December 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

So what is the issue here?

Mr. Joe on December 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM

SoonerMarine on December 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Oh, he’s on Suicide Watch (I love those retarded euphemisms.. what “Prevention of Injury” watch?? Just call it “suicide watch”)…

Well that makes sense.

Yeah – sounds to me like he’s on a very strict and emotionally torturous (for lack of better word?) program.

I’m not reducing what he’s done. I’m saying what he is experiencing must be just horrible. I feel bad for him on a humanitarian level, but then I think of the consequences and potential consequences of his actions and remind myself he had it coming.

BTW, I think the people who designed the access to the system that Manning has stole information from should also face criminal proceedings.
Assange is a douche who published info already exfiltrated. Manning is a traitor per-se for stealing the info and giving it to the douche. But the people who enabled for the system to be breached so g-ddamn easily seem to be escaping any punishment. I haven’t read a single story of anyone of them being punished, or who they may actually be.

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Quick call a Waaahhhbulance.

vcferlita on December 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I also spent six years in the navy,

Me too – also.

five of which I was stationed on a submarine.

Yep – cept submarines.

Six by twelve is damn near the size of our COs stateroom.

I once blew the forward sanitary tanks into the old man’s stateroom by forgeting to shut his sink valve. I just don’t recall the 12 foot thing – more like 6′x6′.

Bill Scrunty on December 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM

My first boat (boomer) I slept in royal comfort – a bunk so small I had to crawl into it on my hands and knees cause the bunk above me was three inches above my nose when laying flat on my back. On my second boat (attack) I slept on a torpedo skid in the forward torpedo room and had a Mk 48 to snuggle with.

Yea …… I’m thinkin the proper thing to do is make it harder on them that jeopardize our freedom then them that protect it. But that’s just me.

Stop and picture what our kids have been going through in the middle eastern deserts for the past eight years.

oldfiveanddimer on December 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM

No daily hour long massage therapy sessions administered by two passionate master Sargents with 3/4″X3′ heater hoses lovingly weighted with lead shot?

The club concierge should be ashamed.

Speakup on December 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Why isn’t he allowed to sleep during the day, or to do push-ups in his cell?

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Because he’s in jail, buttboy.

Jaibones on December 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Young Mr. Manning committed an act of espionage regardless of what he was charged with. People suspected of compromising classified information are kept in solitary to prevent them from compromising more classified information.

Just like Nidal Hasan he will be tried, convicted and sentenced under the UCMJ. He will not be tried in a civilian court regardless of the opinion of the armchair generals posting here.

Once he’s at Leavenworth he will be debriefed by the Army’s counterintelligence agents and based on his cooperation will get some perks. I’m guessing he’s looking at 7-12 years, depending on the severity of the information he compromised.

Right now, as far as I know, there’s no publicly available information that spells out that severity, that’s why he remains in solitary.

A former military counterintelligence guy

E9RET on December 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Zekecorlain on December 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I am probably going to regret this but hey, I am going to give it a shot…..HE IS IN THE MILITARY, Zeke. Do not apply civilian law to the military because it isn’t the same.

It is call the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, look it up.

TturnP on December 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

We would have our whole platoon 30 men in a berthing area on ship that was approx 10 X 18 feet. Our racks were canvass and stacked 5 high. Also in that room would be our gear about 60 sea bags and our Deuce gear. We each would have a locker (bird cage) that was 1ft cube.

We all couldn’t be in there at the same time unless we were in the rack.

We would get up in shifts by the level of your rack.

esnap on December 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Ohh manning being mistreated?
Let me look for my ” I GIVE A SHIT CARD”
I cant find it ? I wonder why ?
Ohh I know , because he is a traitor and he should be hanged by the neck until dead.

Ohh yea that would happen if the people in charge had balls, but they dont. its all way to PC.
Make an example of the little twit and try him, if he’s found guilty hang him according to the UCMJ and press on with pride.

ColdWarrior57 on December 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Hate to break it to the whiners, but where PFC Manning is, and the conditions of his “confinement” are simply his assigned duty station and the rules applicable TO said duty station. This is permissable under the UCMJ and the enlistment contract the little piece of shite signed.

Wonder exactly what you limp-dicks would call InDoc. (Look it up)

In short, get over it.

PJ Emeritus on December 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM

AlexB on December 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

You have a good point, the only question is,

Has no one else been charged in connection with this case or has no one reported on those also charged in connection with this case?

If others are also facing charges it would kill the “their picking on this one guy, unfair poor pity me meme” wouldn’t it?

DSchoen on December 20, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Unless there’s something in the cables that seriously embarrasses Obama personally, both Assange and Manning are near the top of Obama’s last minute pardon list.

Of course “near the top” probably means something like numbers 1025 and 1026 on the list.

Jason Coleman on December 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Here’s MY conspiracy theory:

Allahpundit is posting inflammatory libtard commentary to this thread under the names cjw79, Mrs L, and AlexB in order to increase web traffic.

hits = $$$$

Sweet_Thang on December 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM

This Punk makes me sick. He should be locked behind bars for life….Wait he should be shot by firing squad.

sheebe on December 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM