Herman Cain: I’m forming an exploratory committee for 2012

posted at 7:04 pm on December 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

I know the basics of his bio — accomplished CEO, talk-radio host, cancer survivor — but not much more beyond that. Even so, it got my attention a few days ago when he won Red State’s 2012 “tournament,” topping Mike Pence in the semifinal and Palin in the final. Is that because Cain’s a Red State favorite or is the grassroots support for him out there broader than anyone realizes right now?

Either way, the Daily Caller says to get ready.

Former Godfathers Pizza chief executive Herman Cain says he’s definitely forming an exploratory committee — likely within the next several weeks — to test the waters for a possible Republican presidential run in 2012…

He’s been particularly encouraged, he said, by the results of the midterm elections in November “because I wanted to make sure that this voter anger and frustration was going to convert into votes to change the political landscape, and it did.”…

Cain, who on Friday is scheduled to appear on Greta Van Susteren’s show on Fox News, has been traveling to early caucus and primary states like Iowa and New Hampshire to reach out to grassroots movement and potential donors…

Tim Albrecht, the communications director for the incoming Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, wrote on Twitter this week that, “Prediction: Herman Cain is going to have some serious legs when he begins visiting Iowa.”

He says a run isn’t definite yet but it’s likely since it looks like the base is ready for an “unconventional candidate.” (Evidently they weren’t ready in 2004, because he got crushed in the Georgia GOP primary by Johnny Isakson.) As an interesting gloss on his potential appeal, read this long but interesting Ron Brownstein piece on the “managers vs. populists” dynamic shaping up within the GOP ahead of 2012. The archetypes on each side are Romney and Palin, of course, with “managers” running mainly as economic surgeons and “populists” running against the sclerotic D.C. establishment. Cain, as a successful businessman and popular “true conservative,” has credibility in both roles, and as a practiced public speaker, he should rock that tea party debate in August. (Huckabee, as a blue-collar social con hero and a governor for 10 years, arguably does too.) Does he have any chance of challenging Palin and/or Huck in Iowa, though? As noted in the excerpt, he’s already spending time there, which is smart since winning or finishing a strong second is his only shot at momentum. But c’mon. Surely either Sarahcuda or Huckabee’s going to run; it’s unimaginable that they’d both pass when either stands to clean up among Christians if the other stays out. How does Cain cope with that in the caucuses?

Here’s an interview with Cain that Ed conducted a few months ago during the Right Online conference. Exit question: With both Mitch Daniels and Tim Pawlenty suddenly sounding like their hearts aren’t in a presidential run, is Romney home free as the de facto nominee of the “managerial” wing of the party?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I wonder if he can hit a Halibut over the head?..:)

Dire Straits on December 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I would expect that he isn’t running 22% behind Obama as Palin is.

rickyricardo on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Herman Cain is my favorite dark horse option.

If he is our nominee, I’d support him strongly.

But he’s not my first choice for the Presidency.

I just don’t think it’s wise to have someone’s first job in public service be the most important job in the world…and to be honest, I think that would play badly for him during the primaries.

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

It’s what they do, it’s all they know.

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 7:59 PM

And it is complete BS. He has worked his butt off as well as Palin. Who the heck CARES if he has or has not held a political office seat? Working as a Contracting Agent or as a civilian DoD for a Military branch is just as interesting. You get to see more of the drama unfold in those types of positions just as much as any other seat.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Easy, there. I’m not butthurt one bit. I’m a conservative first, not a Palinista first.

OhioCoastie on December 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Butthurt or not, some people who favor Palin above all are getting butt hurt. You may not be one of them.

It isn’t about your favorite… it SHOULD be about who can do the best for us as a Nation!

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Exactly.
Well said.
But Cain would make a superb Secretary of Commerce serving in a Palin Administration.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Schadenfreude on December 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Aw schucks, thanks! :)

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I would expect that he isn’t running 22% behind Obama as Palin is.

rickyricardo on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Great guy, but he didn’t even win the GOP primary for the GA Senate in 2004.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Redstate’s poll was nonsense. It was structured like a sports playoff series, and by choosing which pairs go against each other you can engineer it so practically anyone you want to win, will win.

That said, Cain is an interesting candidate and I would very much like to see him on the slate of candidates for the Republican primary.

slickwillie2001 on December 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

It’ll depend on what unemployment and the economy look like come the primaries. If they’re both pretty bad, a strong business background can be more appealing than a long time in government.

amerpundit on December 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM

He didn’t win the primary in 2004 because 2012 is gonna be just like 2004 – nothing has changed!

/bat$hitcrazy

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Cain is a viable candidate. I don’t see why everyone who loves Palin is getting a hurt butt because of this.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Off COURSE he’s a viable candidate. Just not sure of his judgment.

Anyone care to go look, I’ve mentioned Cain numerous times as a possible VP choice for Palin. I always thought Perry was the first and best choice, and Allan West the second. In fact the ONLY non-Governor that would make sense.

I thought Cain would be a third choice and not a bad one, just forgive me if I think it’s pretty sophomoric to get on Twitter and brag about winning a meaningless poll.

Now if his supporters were doing it, more power to em. But the candidate? It’s just not presidential.

The other questions of course is experience. He has a ton of business experience, but so did Romney and we know what a crappy Governor he was. Business experience does not equal the ability to govern. It doesn’t hurt, and if the only choice was Cain or Obama I wouldn’t bat an eye. Of COURSE I’d vote for Cain. I RUN all of the way to the polls. But that doesn’t mean I think he’d be the best choice for our nominee.

Sorry, maybe I’m just petty. As I have said, I always had him in the mix as VP, a position he COULD fill without reservation, but the way he grandstanded after winning the poll just came off as immature.

Maybe I’m just too picky.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM

/concerntrollextraordinaire1234

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Branch Rickey:The SarahCudian Guards have voted……..

9 out 10 for verbal creativity,hehe!:)

canopfor on December 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I’m all manager, all day! We already saw what a populist in Obama has done. Gimme Romney, Daniels, Ryan, Jindal, Christie

conservador on December 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM

The more candidates running on a conservative platform , the better.

the_nile on December 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM

gary.. who cares about redstate? Eric Erickson = CNN = Liberal! Doesn’t anyone ever understand that?

Red State is crawling with libs… has been for years.

I don’t care about this poll. The people to watch isn’t Palin so much anymore… it will be Cain (for the black vote) and Bolton for those who are looking for security. I see another viable in the future…. but i am not naming names just yet and it sure the hell isn’t Ryan.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Branch Rickey:The SarahCudian Guards have voted……..

canopfor on December 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Oh well, better luck next time

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Ugh..It’s tough to figure out what qualifications are necessary to be President. First, being Governor of an underpopulated state and mayor of a small town wasn’t enough. Now NO elected office is ok.

Dongemaharu on December 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Hey, sounds better than Romney already (There isn’t a CainCare is there?)

MeatHeadinCA on December 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Just forgive me [drama queen much?] if I think it’s pretty sophomoric unpresidential to get on TLC with a reality show and promote it on Twitter

Do you see how disingenuous you are?

And I love Sarah but you are taking ridiculous to a whole new level, imao.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Herman Cain is my favorite dark horse option.

racist

commodore on December 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Cain has me excited which is more than I can say for any other possible GOP nominee. I agree that a Cain/Palin ticket would be delicious to watch!!
Time will tell… but Mr. Cain, you have my attention, sir.
So far, I’m in lockstep.

skeedro on December 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Simple: Anyone who dares get in the way of the Divine Sarah upsets them no end. To the True Believers, Palin has already won, and they don’t understand why she hasn’t been sworn in yet. After all, they love her!!11!! The world revolves around her. Or should that be Her?

Sad that they — and others who don’t share their rapture for Palin — think anyone should be kept out of the primaries. Anyone who chooses to run should, and let voters make the choice.

Granted, it wouldn’t bother me to see Shuckabee laughed out of the race before he gets in, but what the hell, let him try.

MrScribbler on December 17, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I like Palin, but don’t think it would be productive for her to run for President. She gets a lot more done by threatening to maybe run for President. She scares the living crap out of some people (as she rightly should!). BUT, if she should run and lose, she would be an absolute non-entity. She would probably disappear in a public sense.

She is most powerful just exactly as she is right now and can be a major catalyst for change during an election cycle as a non-candidate. She can come right out and say things in plain talking that need to be said … during a campaign cycle and draw some of that liberal fire away from the conservative candidates. She can stump for them, say things they really can’t say as a candidate, she can be a real “force multiplier” for the conservative cause. All that goes away if she runs.

As a political candidate, her negatives are too high. She has *got* to do something to erase all those lies we heard about her that many still believe are true if she wants to run and honestly, that something can’t come from her mouth, it has to come from someone else’s.

She can have 20 more years of power as the world’s most powerful non-candidate, or run and if she loses, fade into oblivion.

crosspatch on December 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Red State is crawling with libs… has been for years.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM

The poll is stupid that’s why it turned me off. A serious candidate wouldn’t take that poll seriously.

You have gone off the deep end though. I mean seriously, you’ve slipped a gear.

Cain is a good man and will add to the conversation, in a positive manner, but he’ll perform about as well as a Ron Paul type candidate.

John Bolton will be Palin’s Secretary of State. he ain’t going to be President and even HE knows that.

As for that white knight on a shiny horse ridding in, that unknown candidate, get real. Anyone who even has the most outside, Hail Mary, one in a trillion shot at winning the nomination is already a known quantity.

If they haven’t been out there fighting the fight for the last two years they don’t deserve to even be considered. We already know who all of the serious players are.

I’ll keep my money on Palin. The real race is for VP.

The only other person who I’d even come close to trusting as much as Palin in the Presidential slot has already said 9 ways to Sunday he isn’t running, and that’s Rick Perry. He even took the Chairmanship at the RGA to prove his point.

I’d still vote for Palin over Perry, but if Perry won I wouldn’t be upset. I wouldn’t worry whether we were in good hands or not.

I can’t say that about any other candidate, and that’s what I go on.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

It would be fun to see the Left show the world the sewer pit depths of its racism/misogny if the Republicans ran Palin/Cain in ’12.

Imagine how appalling they’d be. Every day they’d plumb a new low, all the way to the end.

I like it!

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Who the heck CARES if he has or has not held a political office seat?
upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Exactly. Eisenhower comes to mind.

TxAnn56 on December 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Who the heck CARES if he has or has not held a political office seat?
upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I find that a feature not a bug.

darwin-t on December 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Simple: Anyone who dares get in the way of the Divine Sarah upsets themmmm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

MrScribbler on December 17, 2010 at 8:29 PM

FIFY.

BTW… I strongly support Sarah Palin and I’m damn tired of nitwits who suggest supporting Sarah Palin is akin to some kind of blind worship.

Grow up.

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Who the heck CARES if he has or has not held a political office seat?
upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Well…it’s a concern. Being good in the business world does not always translate to being good in the world of politics. And the same goes for military figures. Just because you’re an awesome leader in the military does not mean you have the political savvy to navigate the waters of DC politics.

Which is one of the reasons why I wouldn’t support Congressman-elect West running in 2012…and he’s my very favorite political figure.

So I’d like to see some sort of record of public service… specifically an administrative one… before I would feel comfortable going all in for someone.

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Stadium staff: “What? It’s not a Palin thread? Herman Cain? Ok guys move the goalpost back inside the stadium! In fact, set it up here on the 20 yard line!”

Dongemaharu on December 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Do you see how disingenuous you are?

And I love Sarah but you are taking ridiculous to a whole new level, imao.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Do you even understand how ridiculous you sound?

I’m sure you don’t.

How can one compare tweeting your followers and asking them to watch YOUR hit TV show (that has NOTHING to do with running for president) To someone tweeting their followers about winning a BS online presidential poll?

One of these isn’t like the other.

He’s got two years to change my mind, BTW.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Eisenhower comes to mind.

TxAnn56 on December 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

This is really reaching way, way too far.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I like it!

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM

You got it!

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Amen.
And we’re going to need one because there will be a lot of work to do when our POTUS gets to Washington.
A successful Governor works out just fine!

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:47 PM

This is really reaching way, way too far.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Why?

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I like Mr. Cain. I would vote for him, yes I would. Choosing between one black guy and another, I’d choose the black guy.//////////////

ted c on December 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Tweeting about an online poll = unpresidential

Having Kate Gosselin on your reality TV show = presidential

toliver on December 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Why?

Herman’s a wonderful man, but he can’t touch Ike’s record as Commander of the Allied Armed Forces in Europe, West Point graduate, etc.
Ike led millions of men and organized 500,000 men for the D-Day Invasion.
Herman’s accomplished but he’s only led an invasion of pizza delivery trucks.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Spathi on December 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Having Kate Gosselin on your reality TV show = presidential

toliver on December 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM

We’ve had this discussion before: no one said it was presidential.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Exactly. Eisenhower comes to mind.

TxAnn56 on December 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Ike wasn’t exactly an all star POTUS. In fact he was pretty lame. Not really good or bad. He just kept the seat warm. The economy was stagnant as hell during his time and little was done to help.

You might wanna look for a better example.

I’ll tell ya, in my lifetime, which started when Ike was President, the best Presidents, the successful ones, have been Governors. The only Governor who sucked was Carter.

We elect Governors because that job is as close as it gets to being President. Being able to do the job of Governor effectively is usually a very good predictor of how well one will do as President.

It’s the one test that is almost foolproof.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Cain and Romney are two great men and managers. Hope we have a CEO win in 2012.

PrezHussein on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

O.M.G. I’m in love with this potential candidate. I pledge to do whatever I can to support him, if he chooses to run.

Dandapani on December 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Cain and Romney are two great men and managers. Hope we have a CEO win in 2012.

PrezHussein on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Our great republic isn’t a business.

America needs a statesman/stateswoman.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Herman’s accomplished but he’s only led an invasion of pizza delivery trucks.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Typical answer from someone like you. Snark at anyone that’s not Palin.

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Who the heck CARES if he has or has not held a political office seat?
upinak on December 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

The same people who bitch the loudest about ‘professional’ politicians. They don’t live in reality.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Well, Ike did build our great highway system, put “under God” in the pledge and changed our national motto to “In God We Trust.”
Not bad!

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM

A successful Governor works out just fine!

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I like Palin fine but the fact that she didn’t finish her first term does NOT make her successful. How do you know? She didn’t finish.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

How can one compare tweeting your followers and asking them to watch YOUR [REALITY SHOWS ARE TOALLY PRESIDENTIAL! SERIOUSLY, TOTALLY PRESIDENTIAL, WHAT WAS I THINKING????] hit TV show (that has NOTHING to do with running for president [EXCEPT IT DOES AND YOU KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT - IT'S A CHANCE TO SEE HER NOT AS THE CARICATURE THE MCCAIN CAMP LET THE MEDIA GET AWAY WITH AND BUILD HER CREDIBILITY {& I love the show btw}]) To someone tweeting their followers about winning a BS online presidential poll [SO HAWKING YOUR REALITY TV SHOW IS COOL BUT PLAYFULLY - I KNOW I FOLLOW HIM - TWEETING YOUR PREZ POLL WINNING IS DISQUALIFYING]?

One of these isn’t like the other [YEAH, ONE WAS HAWKING YOUR SHOW AND ONE WAS A PLAYFUL TWEET].

You know, back in the earliest days, candidates didn’t even campaign. Their supporters did. The candidates stayed above it all. [WTF?]

Now granted, that was ridiculous as well, but my God man, this just looks childish. [I'M A CHICK A$$HOLE FIRST OF ALL - BRANCH RICKEY IS A HERO OF MINE - SECOND, IF YOU THINK TWEETING YOUR WIN PLAYFULLY IS RIDICULOUS BUT HAWKING YOUR SHOW ON TWITTER ISN'T THEN I WONDER HOW YOU PUT YOUR OWN UNDERPANTS ON IN THE MORNING]

People get turned off by the dumbest things, this one turned me off. It just proves the guy isn’t ready. [NO IT PROVES YOU ARE A PALINISTA AND WHY SOME OF US WHO LOVE HER ARE GETTING TURNED OFF IN SUPPORTING HER BECAUSE NUTJOB SUPPORTERS LIKE YOU MAKE VOTING FOR HER IMPOSSIBLE - YOU ARE TURNING PEOPLE AGAINST HER - SO IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET HER ELECTED YOU ARE DOING A TERRIBLE JOB]

It just builds on the questions of lack of experience, lack of proven ability, and so on. [NO IT PROVES HE WAS JOKING AROUND ON TWITTER - OMG - YOU ARE SUCH A CONCERN TROLL]

I don’t hate the guy, and hope he runs. He’d be a positive, not a negative, but I’d have a very hard time actively supporting him. [I DON'T GIVE A F*(K WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE A CONCERN TROLL]

He’s got two years to change my mind, BTW.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I feel much better now, thanks.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Mitt Romney single-handedly ran Burger Chef into the ground.

Who is this Cain cat?

Inanemergencydial on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

You got it!

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Well, not quite. I wrote that it would be “fun” to watch the Left beclown itself over a Palin/Cain ticket.

It wouldn’t be fun; it would be disgusting and repulsive, but it might be eye-opening.

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Ike led millions of men and organized 500,000 men for the D-Day Invasion.
Herman’s accomplished but he’s only led an invasion of pizza delivery trucks.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

And even at that, Ike was a far, far, FAR better military commander than POTUS.

You’d think his job would have been the ultimate training for POTUS. He had to really make some tenuous relationships hold together to save the world. But in the end, he underperformed as President.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

President Moonbeam?

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Mitt Romney single-handedly ran Burger Chef into the ground.

Inanemergencydial on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Why do you want to make Hugh Hewitt cry?

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I’ve interviewed Mr. Cain twice, and know that he wants to be president. He has amazing charisma, which we’ve seen gets us nothing on its own. But unlike the Rock Star In Chief, Cain has something called EXPERIENCE. He appeals to the business man, the line worker, the faithful and black Americans. He has great potential, and he has my support.

cannonball on December 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Typical answer from someone like you. Snark at anyone that’s not Palin.

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Remember how she snarked about O’Donnell until she defeated Castle?

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

She was successful in what she did while she was governor. That didn’t go away.

the_nile on December 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM

How do you know? She didn’t finish.

By the time Sarah Palin was forced to resign through no fault of her own except that she was the Republican VP candidate, she’d already accomplished what she’d set out to do as Governor.

We can know that she was successful because she has a great record of accomplishment.
You should check it out sometime.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Epic fail on your history once again. Huge!!!

The best year for the US economy since 1948 came in 1950, when the economy managed to expand by 8.7%.

Here are the top five years since 1948:

1950, 8.7%, Harry Truman
1951, 7.7%, Harry Truman
1955, 7.2%, Dwight Eisenhower
1959, 7.2%, Dwight Eisenhower
1984, 7.2%, Ronald Reagan

Yep, he was pretty lame I guess////

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 9:03 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Well, one is not absolutely required to turn their brain off when assessing things. All of her previous office holdings were successful; it’s not really that big a stretch to presume that she wouldn’t suddenly have become incompetent.

It’s not like she had Zero’s history of floating inconsequentially upward without doing anything noteworthy.

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

She was successful in what she did while she was governor. That didn’t go away.

the_nile on December 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Yeah, I’ve been at the range shooting when a person hits a bullsey on their very first shot and then packs up and leaves because they know they can’t continue to do that. It means nothing if you don’t finish.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I knew what you meant. Sorry for not being as clear as I should have.

Yeah the left would sink to depths we didn’t even know existed.

They would go insane over a Palin West ticket as well. Of course, they are going to go insane whatever. That’s why I don’t care.

I just want someone who has a record of actual success in governing, and the ability to take the media on no matter what. To rise above them.

So far Sarah Palin is the only one there is. She’s really the only politician in my lifetime that checks all the right boxes on my leadership check list.

There are other really good people, just no others that really make it to that top spot.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Cain is not a good candidate because he supports that high national sales tax scheme called the “Fair Tax.” (So does Huckabee, but he’ll come to his senses later.)

Emperor Norton on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

You should check it out sometime.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I’ve read her book. I have a lot of respect for her. She shouldn’t run for President. She can’t win.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Grow up.

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Read gary425 and jenfidel. There are others, but they come immediately to mind when searching for unrelenting Palin-worshipers.

And “grow up” is the kind of response they understand. A few well-worn (and nuanced) talking points mixed in with ragging on anyone who dares disagree with them is hardly indicative of an intelligent preference for a capable candidate.

MrScribbler on December 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Cain would tear Romney up in a debate. He’s just as smart and twice as eloquent. Plus he can think on his feet unlike the super-scripted, nuanced Romney.

rcl on December 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Here are the top five years since 1948:

1950, 8.7%, Harry Truman
1951, 7.7%, Harry Truman
1955, 7.2%, Dwight Eisenhower
1959, 7.2%, Dwight Eisenhower
1984, 7.2%, Ronald Reagan

None of that prosperity was really Ike’s doing but was the result of us winning the war and having cranked up our production capacity to do so.
It should be pointed out that income tax rates were horrendous.
Note that Ike’s numbers are a full point and a half under Truman’s.

Herman Cain isn’t Ike.
Get a grip,people.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I feel the same way about Cain.
Now you know how it feels to be on the receiving end.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

You have gone off the deep end though. I mean seriously, you’ve slipped a gear.

When Palin (pbuh) is elected President of what? United States Dogcatcher Association? Fantasyland?

It really would be nice if the celebrity-worshipping personality cult of St. Sarah (pbuh) would restrict their delusions to the Conservatives 4 Palin site.

A vote for Palin in the primary is a vote for Obama in the general. Don’t worry though; Obama hasn’t announced the confiscation of your St. Palin (pbuh) shrine… yet.

Hollowpoint on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Yeah, because Ike did nothing in that war!
/sarc

Somewhere a cave is missing it’s bat$hit crazy tenet.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I’m on board. I like Cain.

G. Charles on December 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

At least you admit that she hit bullseye. Most never does.

the_nile on December 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Why do you want to make Hugh Hewitt cry?

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM

HAHA, is Hewitt a Burger Chef lamenter as well?

Inanemergencydial on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Governor Palin’s record of success consists of a lot more than a “1 shot.”
For the second time, I ask that you familiarize yourself with it if you’re going to continue to opine about the quality of her 20-year career in public service.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I feel the same way about Cain.
Now you know how it feels to be on the receiving end.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

The receiving end of what?

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

President Moonbeam?

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

See President Carter.

Also see the word SUCCESSFUL. You could add “effective,” as well.

Being Governor is just part. Being able to do the job WELL is what matters. Oh, and not being a raving leftist makes it easier too.

The fact remains, every SUCCESSFUL President in recent history has been a SUCCESSFUL and EFFECTIVE Governor.

Reagan, Clinton, and Bush 43 were all successful Presidents. I know it’s hard to say Clinton was “successful” but he kinda was. If nothing else, he was smart enough to let the Republican Congress handle domestic issues like the economy.

On the other hand, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Bush 41, and Obama, non Governors, were all disasters of one sort or another.

Carter is, well, Carter. I think he just falls under raving lunatic lefty.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Somewhere a cave is missing it’s bat$hit crazy tenet.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

The economy didn’t boom because of Eisenhower’s policies but because America won the war and yes, the General played a huge role in getting us there.
That’s what I meant and you knew that before you started swearing.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM

At least you admit that she hit bullseye. Most never does.

the_nile on December 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I didn’t say she hit bullseye. I said the shooter hit it once and then left.
She did a few good things for her state then quit when it got a little hot.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Yeah, because Ike did nothing in that war!
/sarc

Somewhere a cave is missing it’s bat$hit crazy tenet.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

You are on a roll tonight. There’s a computer monitor in Chicago that needs a clean-up!!! LOL

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Cause 2012 is just like every other year!!!

/sarc

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

The receiving end of what?

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

The receiving end of intransigence in regards to supporting a potential candidate you like so much.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

For the second time, I’ve read her book. She is impressive, but she isn’t electable in the general.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

That’s what I meant and you knew that before you started swearing.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Don’t be such a hall monitor – you are much more convincing in your normal role as bat$hit crazy.

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

What does that leadership check list look like? Was the final item on the list “star in reality TV show”, or “alienate most voters”?

Nice work emulating the Paulbots though with the “she’s the only one” bit. Perhaps we can just shorten that to “The One”.

Hollowpoint on December 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM

She quit and quitting does not make one successful.

Regardless of the spin and lame excuses you keep talking about!

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM

You have gone off the deep end though. I mean seriously, you’ve slipped a gear.

there you go with the personal attacks again. Keep it up gary…. the only one slipping would be you.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM

It’s the one test that is almost foolproof.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM

especially when they quit midterm, the success rate of Governors who quit and lose as VP is infinity!

windansea on December 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Where did I say I like Cain “so much”? I hardly know anything about him yet. I know more about Palin, which is why I can say she can’t win in the general.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

She did a few good things for her state then quit when it got a little hot.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM

She did some huge good things for the state like go over the budget line by line with a red pencil and cut programs and the budget.
She also secured the largest contract for a state in U.S. history: $40 BILLION AGIA oil and gas pipeline with the Canadians.

She didn’t “quit when it got a little hot” and you know better.
Quit being intellectually dishonest.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Knucklehead on December 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Clean up aisle 5! LOL

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM

so waiting for concerntroll234 to lecture you on your governor’s record…
;)

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Quit being intellectually dishonest.

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Quit being so emotional.

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM

MrScribbler on December 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Probably because most of the criticism comes from folks who jump on all the stupidities from the media and the cocktail party GOPers.

Do you know what a relief it is to see someone actually talk about her policies as governor? The issues she supports or opposes? In other words, a substantive conversation?

I have a different style of conversing online than others…and perhaps you feel some Palin supporters come across as too brusque. Whatever. The thing is though…responding with the “Saint Sarah”/”Divine Sarah” “worshiper” nonsense immediately makes conversing with you unpalatable.

Why should I bother? If past is prelude, any defense of Palin or positive comments about her will be seen as proof of my undying devotion and blind cult-like worship.

powerpro on December 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

It’s not like you to make such a statement and forget to include a sarc tag…

Gohawgs on December 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM

For the third time, you should research her record or quit pretending you don’t what it is and mistating the facts.

Think what you like, but Cain is far less electable than she is.
He placed 2nd at around 20% of the vote in the GA GOP Senate primary in 2004.

Even Michael Steele actually served as Lt. Governor of MD.
Why don’t we have him run?
Or is he yesterday’s news?

Jenfidel on December 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM

HAHA, is Hewitt a Burger Chef lamenter as well?

Inanemergencydial on December 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don’t know about that, but he’s deeply, deeply in the tank for ol’ Mittens the flip-flopping, dog-abusing, mandate-enthusing, wind-bending, principle-abandoning flip flopper.

Kensington on December 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM

ladyingray on December 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Why Governor Palin Resigned

Live it, learn it, love it.

As others have pointed out, Palin had already fulfilled every single campaign promise by the time she resigned, and it was an incredibly ambitious list of promises. Including putting in place the mechanism to build the gasline. This is the largest construction project in North American history.

Every Alaska Governor for over 30 years promised to build a gasline to the lower 48. They all failed because they couldn’t even get the framework in place. Palin made it her top priority. Now this is a $40 billion plus deal.

So yeah, she’s proven beyond a shadow of a doubt she is one of the most effective leaders we’ve seen in a very long time.

Her record is pretty public. It’s not hard to find out what she’s accomplished over the past 20 years. Most politicians would kill for her record of successes.

gary4205 on December 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM

so waiting for concerntroll234 to lecture you on your governor’s record…
;)

Branch Rickey on December 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Branch… WTF do you think most of the people learned about her? It sure wasn’t Allah Pundit. And C4P needs to thank a few as well.

upinak on December 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM