Video: World’s biggest rock star greets adoring media public

posted at 8:24 pm on December 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s like Bono, Jesus, and that creepy guy in the computer room at the public library all rolled into one. The word today is that the DOJ is trying to indict him on a conspiracy charge rather than under the Espionage Act, which would be a lot safer from a First Amendment perspective insofar as it would target the initial act of stealing classified documents rather than the later publication. Wikileaks defenders will presumably howl about that, just as they howl about any attempt to prosecute Assange. One thing I don’t understand, though: Most of his supporters, I take it, would agree that there are some types of classified government information that shouldn’t be public knowledge. What falls into that category will vary according to one’s individual judgment — maybe it’s as exacting as the nuclear launch codes, maybe it’s as inexacting as “anything that harms the public interest” — but in theory there’s some class of documents that should be off-limits. At the same time, my sense is that Assange’s strongest supporters will defend anything he publishes on First Amendment grounds, reasoning that if harm comes from the revelation, it’s the government’s fault entirely for not protecting that information better. So on the one hand they want the feds to take all precautions in securing that info — no leaks! — and on the other hand they want Assange and company to have an incentive via legal immunity to uncover that info — i.e., yay, leaks! If we’re all about greater transparency, why not tighten the standards for what’s classifiable, thereby making more information public, while ramping up the penalties for leaking to protect that smaller class of secret info? This no-leaks/yay-leaks game is silly.

If you haven’t yet read Tommy Christopher’s post yet at Mediaite on Olby, Michael Moore, and the Assange rape allegation, I recommend doing so. As I’ve said before, the charges do seem shady given the timing, but Christopher notes that they’re less bizarre than many media accounts would have you believe. Allegedly, it’s not a simple matter of “having sex without a condom”; it’s more a matter of “having sex after your partner asks you to stop.”

Update: Like I say — the biggest rock star in the world.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

AssLeaky Terrorist!

canopfor on December 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

“Media Idol”…

Gohawgs on December 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Creepy as hell. `

carbon_footprint on December 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Cheering him like a celebrity … Sickening.

Tony737 on December 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

it’s more a matter of “having sex after your partner asks you to stop.”

An old Billy Connelly joke about wild horses comes to mind.

OldEnglish on December 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

He’s free, the leftist trash can cease their candlelight “Free Mumia Assange” vigils now.

Bishop on December 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Remember kids, you will live to regret wetting your pants over Mister “I am special, my mom told me so”

Dr Evil on December 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

He will be the next James Bond. Count it.

Electrongod on December 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

When I was flipping through the channels and saw this and all the camera flashes, I couldn’t believe it was all for this douchbag.

Vigilante on December 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I don’t like Justin Bieber either, but c’mon… give the kid a break.

malclave on December 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Julian Ass’ange: SOS Hillary Clinton Should Resign…Julian Ass’ange.

Dr Evil on December 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Vigilante on December 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM

O had my back turned to the TV and I noticed all this crazy flashing on my wall, I thought my screen was shorting out or something and then I saw this morons face and the scum media groveling at his feet.

Daemonocracy on December 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I have a football game to watch…

Seven Percent Solution on December 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Snipers wanted.

Red Cloud on December 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I guess you missed the sequel:

Keith Olbermann Suspends His Own Twitter Account

Paul_in_NJ on December 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Whats really sickening,is that Assange is in the same
company as the Progressives,which include the likes of
Micheal Moore,and dare I say POTUSA!

If Hopey wasn’t President,he would be holding Community
Organization Candle Vigil Light thingy’s for TRUTH TO
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on December 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM

The left sure love them some rapists.

JammieWearingFool on December 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM

At least they’ve picked a side.

SouthernGent on December 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM

As I’ve said before, I’ll take MSM’s infatuation with transparency seriously when they start releasing unedited video of their editorial meetings.

justkevin on December 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM

He’s like Bono, Jesus

ted c on December 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Cheering him like a celebrity … Sickening.

Tony737 on December 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

In much of Europe “America Bashing” is like an Olympic Sport. And this guy is their Gold Medal Decathlon Champion.

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Probably already has several ‘dates’ lined up.

GarandFan on December 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Sorry, I just have a hard time calling that rape or thinking it calls for a world wide manhunt and prison without chance of bail.

It is an allegation anyone can make. If you wish to micromanage the terms of sex, it’s probably best not to have sex with strangers.

MayBee on December 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Means we are doing something right.

AZfederalist on December 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I guess you missed the sequel:

Keith Olbermann Suspends His Own Twitter Account

Paul_in_NJ on December 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Paul_in_NJ:Heres the idiots who put up the petition to put
Olby in da air,awhile back!

This group,also is in thick with Micheal Moore!
===========================================================

Petition: Put Olbermann Back On The Air NOW!

———————————–

canopfor on December 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM

People keep talking about how these are frivilous charges, if the women brought that case here in the US it would not be considered frivilous at all. It started consentually, they said no, he kept going! There are already people who are in jail under those circumstances in this country if I am not mistaken. How many times have we heard, no means no! This guy really is a tool and I hope we get him for something.

bluemarlin on December 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM

MayBee on December 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

,,, or have sex with strange people. Definitely applies to this goober.

AZfederalist on December 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM

In much of Europe “America Bashing” is like an Olympic Sport. – Tom

Yeah, so true man. I lived there for three years, everytime I turned on the “telly” it was anti-American propaganda. And we were there to ensure that they were free to continue it.

You can always tell a man by his heroes.

Tony737 on December 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM

How quickly we’ve moved on from Lady Gaga.

RedRedRice on December 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM

MayBee on December 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM

It is obviously an allegation with something behind it or they would not have acted on it. As I have said above, there are people in jail here for these same circumstances. They did not go to jail for mismanagement of sexual relations, they went to jail for rape.

OR

Are you really saying it is the women`s fault?

bluemarlin on December 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Wait. I thought Obama was the world’s biggest rock star? What happened there?

Oh, yeah, I remember now.

keep the change on December 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM

that creepy guy in the computer room at the public library all rolled into one

He’s bigger than Alvin Greene?

Wow!

Branch Rickey on December 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Comeon can we get a CIA agent in there with the PhotoSnipe app?

Regular camera that conceals a small caliber pistol, good for 1 -2 rounds in the flashbulb area. Say cheese and meet your maker Assange.

Also to AP I fail to see how the 1st Amendment would apply to this tool, as he IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN

SgtSVJones on December 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Is he going to die like a Rock Star? Drug Overdose? Plane Crash? Car Crash? “Suicide”?

Caper29 on December 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Seriously — a guy who pretty much gave away the identities of American allies to their terrorist countrymen is going to complain about being “decapitated”? That takes some balls.

calbear on December 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I’ll bet Assange, in the end, pulls it off, as apparently he did with the two gals in Switzerland. My hope, however, is that it is his wiki that leaks … painfully. ✪

TXUS on December 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Caper29 on December 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I vote for choking on your own vomit. It seems the most appropriate for him.

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Really, bluemarlin?

MayBee on December 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM

SgtSVJones on December 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM

In the 1896 Supreme Court decision Wong Wing v. U.S. it ruled, “. . . it must be concluded that all persons within the territory of the United States are entitled to the protection guaranteed by those amendments, and that even aliens shall not be held to answer for a capital or other infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.” I can see a lawyer arguing that if his crimes are against the U.S. he deserves constitutional protection, just like the criminals in GITMO.

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Probably more so in his case since he was not captured on the battlefield. However, there is definite need to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

AZfederalist on December 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM

In much of Europe “America Bashing” is like an Olympic Sport.

Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

C’mon, how can you think such a thing? The Olympics are only every 4 years.

malclave on December 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM

World’s biggest rock star? I thought you meant Bill Clinton.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM

And as usual we are left to pick up the pieces.

tomas on December 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM

“Whatever”

DeathB4Tyranny on December 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Scum. Bag.

Dopenstrange on December 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM

TXUS on December 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

How are you able to have that star thingy? Me likey.

silvernana on December 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM

World’s biggest rock star? I thought you meant Bill Clinton.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM

No, all Clintoon did was have his DOJ successfully prosecute a career female Federal employee for lying under oath about sex, and then have his acolytes later claim that he was above the law for doing the exact same thing.

BTW, this admitted perjurer/adulterer/ex President now has a higher approval ranking than the current impostor in the Oral Orifice.

Del Dolemonte on December 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Unless the real Elvis just parachuted out of hiding and into a stadium then probably not.

viking01 on December 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

viking01 on December 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Didn’t you hear? He went home.

OldEnglish on December 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Memphis or Tupelo ?

viking01 on December 16, 2010 at 11:18 PM

How are you able to have that star thingy? Me likey.

silvernana on December 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM

In Windows, use the Character Map application, available from the Start Menu (look in System Tools). In Mac OSX Choose Edit > Special Characters to open the Character Palette. ✪☺☂

Tommy_G on December 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM

This arrogant towhead irritates the hell out of me.

EarthToZoey on December 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM

People keep talking about how these are frivilous charges, if the women brought that case here in the US it would not be considered frivilous at all.….unless the accused was a pro athlete.

bluemarlin on December 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM

FIFY

TugboatPhil on December 17, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Politics aside, this wimpy lil dude doesn’t look like he could last as long as it would take to say “stop”. Looks like a three pump chump to me……I say he’s probably innocent of any sex charge for that reason….

adamsmith on December 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM

As someone else pointed out recently, the disclosure of confidential information is a crime in the US – and the First Amendment doesn’t protect against crimes. It’s that simple. Of course, it makes me wonder why the DOJ hasn’t gone after media outlets for disclosing confidential information, but that’s another discussion.

Also, there was a good article in Time Magazine (yes, it happens) about the relatively high level of sex crimes in Sweden that didn’t get prosecuted historically … so the criminal justice system there is probably looking to make an example of Assange.

furytrader on December 17, 2010 at 7:57 AM

In much of Europe “America Bashing” is like an Olympic Sport. Tommy_G on December 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM

The rightful lord of Europe is Russia. Why do we stand in the way?

Akzed on December 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM

1st amendment? Read Coulter’s latest column. There is more than adequate reason to charge him with crimes without worrying about the 1st amendment.
A better solution is to hire some retired CIA agent who still remembers how to deal with such irritants.

pgrossjr on December 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM

He kind of reminds me of those guys from Clockwork Orange. I don’t know why, he just does.

scalleywag on December 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM