Video: Michael Vick wants a dog to help his rehabilitation

posted at 2:15 pm on December 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Michael Vick has done an impressive job thus far in his rehabilitation.  His return to the NFL has been so successful that Vick now leads in Pro Bowl voting and has the Philadelphia Eagles on the verge of a playoff seat, if not a division title.  But something is apparently missing from Vick’s path to redemption, and he’d like a chance to fill the gap.  Who wants to volunteer a cute little puppy to Vick’s tender care?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I suspect that most people would have the reaction of the CNN anchor here, which is … “Run, Fido, run!” I’m not sure whether Vick’s parole bars him from owning a dog, but if it does, it wouldn’t be for a lifetime. At some point, if not now, Vick will have the same freedom as anyone else to go to the pet store or other seller and pick out a pet. If he does, Vick will set up a cottage industry for people to keep watch on the health of Fido, and that at least would help send the message to Vick that his rehabilitation better be on the level. If he picks out a bichon or a Pekingese, the dog’s probably safe. If it’s a pit bull or mastiff, well … run, Fido, run!

Should Vick be allowed to own a pet, or is it really any of our business if he does? Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Anyone who believes that animals have rights is an emotionally-motivated, nanny-state idiot who doesn’t understand what rights actually are.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 17, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Anyone who believes that it’s OK to get an extension chord, strip off the insulation, wrap the wires around a dogs neck and torso splash the dog with water and then plug the extension chord into 110 volts of electricity so he can have the pleasure of watching the dog suffer and die horribly for “entertainment” as Michael Vick ADMITTED to doing is a miserable POS.
“Nanny state” has nothing to do with it you MORON. It is called common decency, you IDIOT.

Boxy_Brown on December 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Re.”Bizarro No. 1″

How good of a communicator/debater are you?

Not interested in “debating” you, you have exposed yourself as a real imbecile.

Do you believe raising a dog for food in South Korea is more, less, or equally as (im)moral as doing the same thing in the US?

He tortured animals to death; electrocuting them, burning them, beating them to a pulp and putting them in a ring where they would be torn to pieces. He admitted to all of this. He did it to dozens of animals. This wasn’t for “food” you idiot, it is because he is a psychopath.

If you believe that the morality of such an action is different depending on location, then you believe in subjective, not objective, morality (unless you are defining “morality” differently than I do.)

Save it, you are too stupid to argue relativism. Indeed, one wonders if you would take this stand if it was someone you didn’t like… you see a sports figure that you admire and don’t care if he gets his kicks by torturing animals to death.

I assert that you don’t understand what “Conservatism” actually is.

If you are too stupid and weak to take a stand against gratuitously torturing animals to death for entertainment, indeed, making it a hobby you are certainty too stupid and morally depraved to be an adherent to any ideology, political or otherwise.

“Do you know what “values” means?”

Indeed I do. Some of us put common decency ahead of rooting for a sports figure. Just blows your mind, doesn’t it?

Boxy_Brown on December 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Vick wants a puppy, I think it’s common decency to recognize that he should be able to do what he wants. Common decency recognizes he’s doing right and has changed his ways. It’s common decency to allow a puppy to be pampered in luxury by an NFL quarterback and undoubtedly the limelight. This dog would easily become the most famous dog in America. Redemption. Conservatism applauds those who do right.

conservador on December 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

He is the model for how prison-time should be spent and how reflection and personal accountability works.
flameofjudah on December 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Of course if most prisoners were coming out to Millions of dollars a years to play a game, and to (at least some) public adoration… that might help the apparent reform percentages.
On the other hand, if a reformed alcoholic wants to own a bar… they have the right. But what’s the point. And why the ‘want’… With all the other things Vick has, and could have in his life… he wants a dog?
Next he’ll want a pit for the little guy(s) to play and romp around in during his bi-monthly parties (that have nothing to do wit dog fighting).

RalphyBoy on December 17, 2010 at 6:36 PM

conservador on December 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Bernie Madoff said he was sorry, you should give him your money to invest. Then you should let John Wayne Gasey babysit your kids. Maybe you should allow Bin Laden to take the yolk of the aircraft next time you have to fly somewhere… Because giving a puppy to a guy who used to burn dogs to death for “entertainment” has got something to do with “Conservatism applauding”…

Yeah, you have no idea what common decency is.

Boxy_Brown on December 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM

And anyone that thinks you can “torture” an animal like it’s the same as breaking up a old wicker chair is a budding psychopath. Ya don’t have to acknowledge “rights” to want to avoid the unnecessary pain of an animal.

Saltyron on December 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

How someone treats an animal is not necessarily indicative, nor predictive, of how that person treats other humans. And who said torturing an animal is the same as destroying an inanimate object? Not me, that’s for sure.

I don’t condone what Vick did at all. My stance is that I don’t believe personal ownership of animals should be considered to be a communal rather than a private conception, and, because of that, I don’t believe torture of one’s own animal(s) outside of the public’s eye should be considered to be a criminal activity. I know that thought greatly repulses some people, but so too does the idea of a Chinese family enjoying some dog meat for dinner.

Dogs have the right not to be eaten to the same degree that a mosquito has the right to not be tortured – neither creature has any objective moral rights. You may say that dogs and some other animals are deserving of some legal protection here in the US, but that would an issue of subjective, not objective, morality.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM

I’m sure someone else wrote this, but can you imagine how safe this dog would be? First of all he went to the Judge to ask, this shows respect for the law and his want to do the right thing. Second, everyone is gonna be watching that dog like a hawk, if it so much as gets a thorn in it’s foot the people are gonna revolt against Vick. I say let him have a dog!

HAExpert on December 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Boxy_Brown on December 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Whatever you say, genius, whatever you say…

Is it morally ok with you if someone grows dogs to eat them, whether in the US, or some other country that doesn’t share the West’s affection for dogs, but you’ll then say it’s immoral to the point of criminalization for her/him to torture them? If so, you are a nanny-stater who has a different working definition of “moral” than I do.

If you aren’t wise enough to engage me to try to understand why we might disagree about that, you’re just an unintelligent annoyance to me when you look for my attention the way you have been doing.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Not interested in “debating” you, you have exposed yourself as a real imbecile.

You still find me important enough to spend time/energy posting to me, though. For what end? LOL angry bloviators like you crack me up!

I’m “too stupid to argue relativism,” but you‘re not so stupid that you’d take the time to attack me based upon extremely inaccurate inferences you’d make from what I have (and haven’t) said, which you wouldn’t bother to first investigate the veracity of before you’d attack me, right? Again, LOL!

Boxy_Brown on December 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

As a matter of fact, no, it doesn’t.

What blows my mind is how vast the gap is between your own perceived intelligence, and what it actually is! Wild!

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM

HAExpert on December 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM

You have expressed the common-sense position here. How could Vick possibly getting away with hurting any dog he might get? The whole world, including and especially his kids, would string him up.

Of course, all of armchair psychologists who know Vick could/will never change understand that Vick’s real motive is to buy a dog for his kids only to later hurt it, because he wants to emotionally torture his kids as a reminder to himself of what he did to his old fighting dogs. Vick showed us all that he has no heart, you see.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Re.idiot No. 1

….then say it’s immoral to the point of criminalization for her/him to torture them? If so, you are a nanny-stater who has a different working definition of “moral” than I do.

Yes, I believe that it is morally reprehensible to torture animals to get your kicks and think you are a POS for not getting that. Further, it’s pathetic that you would call it a “nanny state” issue. That makes you an idiot POS.

Your position is categorically wrong, it’s never OK to torture animals to death for “entertainment”. The fact that you would lamely try excuse it by some pathetic “if the Koreans eat dogs you are a nanny stater” is not only a stupid argument it reminds me of the leftists saying it is OK for Roman Polansky to rape a 16 year old because he made good movies.

…when you look for my attention the way you have been doing.

Could it be that you are just a troll who takes morally inverted, moronic positions in order to get a reaction?

“You still find me important enough to spend time/energy posting to me, though.”

You sound flattered that I am calling you a POS.

“but you‘re not so stupid that you’d take the time to attack me “

Another brilliant rebuttal, because I took the time to call you a morally inverted idiot I must be “stupid”. Gee, that made as much sense as bringing your dog eating Koreans into the equation.
The upside for me is that it doesn’t take a lot of time to let you know that you are an idiot.

“You have expressed the common-sense position here. “

Yeah, the common sense position to a moron. Why it’s just “common sense” that we should let Susan Smith become a foster mom because people will be watching her. Brilliant.

Boxy_Brown on December 18, 2010 at 3:45 AM

conservador on December 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Hey, who says the puppy would be pampered? It might just get eaten, beaten, electrocuted, hit with a lead pipe, starved, and slammed to the ground. Just because Vick acts redeemed does not give him the right to EVER own another dog. Maybe to you and Bizarro dogs have not rights nor even a mortal soul, but they are living creatures who do not deserve to be tortured or belong to some idiot who loves torturing animals for pleasure. It’s sick. Period.

chai on December 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM

and Conservador, if Vick abused children, does he have the right to do be around kids and do what he wants again, because he says he is “cured?” Uh, no.

chai on December 18, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Re.idiot No. 1

You sound flattered that I am calling you a POS.

Boxy_Brown on December 18, 2010 at 3:45 AM

I’m certainly impressed that you believe I’ve deserved as much of your attention as you’ve given to me so far, even though you believe I am so stupid!

You are making me laugh with your clueless self-righteousness and your gross overestimation of your mental capabilities. Can you sensibly articulate what “logical fallacies” are? Do you even care what “logical fallacies” are? Deluded people like you are very funny to me. :)

I’m not trolling, but an über moron like you who cannot stop shamelessly making bad inferences, analogies, and exaggerations obviously isn’t capable of understanding this, so keep right on wondering if I am one or not, and I’ll keep on chuckling, ok? Know, though, that I’m 100% serious when I say the following: I find that you converse at the same rhetorical level I expect from Democratic Undergrounders. Are you as flattered that I justifiably see you that way as I’m flattered when someone like you believes I’m a POS and an idiot? LOL :)

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 8:43 AM

chai on December 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM

What ‘right’ does the public have to prevent Vick from ever owning a dog again? If it’s not the same one US slave owners ‘had’ to own slaves, enlighten me as to what the difference is.

Is it just as evil in your mind to torture a dog as it is to torture a human being? Do you believe Jesus died on the Cross for dogs, cats, chimps, and tsetse flies?

Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Bizarro: As a staunch Catholic, I believe Jesus died on the cross to redeem mankind from our inborn sins. And if you read the Catechism of the Catholic church, you will see that Catholics believe that animals deserve the right to man’s respect: From paragraph #2418 in the Catechism: “It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or to die needlessly….”
Read about animals and humans, thanks and blessing to you….

chai on December 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Bizarro No. 1

This seems to be your counterargument… since I am giving you the attention you crave that must signify that you are important. That’s pretty pathetic that you are seeking attention by any means necessary. So you know, I am not above turning my head to get a better view of a motorcycle accident. It doesn’t mean that it is a clever or admirable event.

And you are making me sick with your skewed rationalizations and your f-ed up moral relativism. Get a life, he’s a psychopath who plays a game. Not something to be admired or excused because you flop on the couch and watch him do it.

I already have, you are just too stupid to get it. A logical fallacy is the belief that since some people eat dogs for food that it is OK to wrap an electrical chord around their necks, splash some water on them and then plug it in to watch the dog get electrocuted and burned to death for “entertainment”. That is what he admitted to doing multiple times and that is the reason he gave for doing it. “Entertainment”. That would be a “Logical fallacy. A creepy rationalization from a lousy person… Got it yet?

so keep right on wondering if I am one or not, and I’ll keep on chuckling, ok?

You have marked yourself as a POS who thinks it’s just fine to burn or beat a dog to death for entertainment. Who cares if you are motivated by a need for attention or you genuinely have no problem with torturing animals to death for kicks? Either way we are back to the whole “POS” thing.

“I find that you converse at the same rhetorical level I expect from Democratic Undergrounders.”

Spend a lot of time over there? Is that where you learned to rationalize that you shouldn’t hold people you like to the same moral standards as those who you don’t?

I’ll have to learn to live without the approval of a POS. Go flush yourself, troll.

Boxy_Brown on December 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

What ‘right’ does the public have to prevent Vick from ever owning a dog again? If it’s not the same one US slave owners ‘had’ to own slaves, enlighten me as to what the difference is….
Bizarro No. 1 on December 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Idiot… Someone mention “logical fallacies”?

Boxy_Brown on December 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

@Ed, conVick is not permitted to own a dog for 3 years as part of his sentence http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/15/michael-vick-i-would-love-to-be-a-dog-owner-again/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter.

As a former Eagles fan who never missed a game before conVick, I will no longer watch the NFL until conVick, Reid, Goodell are gone and players with class like my beloved Reggie White (who I believed would have taken conVick to the woodshed), Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Brian Dawkins & Jeremiah Trotter bring integrity back to the NFL. I have high hopes that Tim Tebow will be the NFL’s saving grace. And conVick said recently while speaking to kids in Juniata Park, PA, that he would still be dogfighting if he had not gotten caught http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/blogs/birds-nest/Vick__I_Would_Still_Be_Dogfighting_if_I_Wasn_t_Caught_Philadelphia-111486994.html

As a former Eagles fan who never missed a game before conVick, I will no longer watch the NFL until conVick, Reid, Goodell are gone and players with class like my beloved Reggie White (who I believed would have taken conVick to the woodshed), Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Brian Dawkins & Jerimiah Trotter are the only hope to bring integrity back to the NFL.

I watched the 60 minutes interview where he had a smug look on his face, he is not contrite. And I have seen him speak to students about this issue and you can tell he is only there because he has to be, and that he is not really helping the cause, just fulfilling an obligation. As someone who taught at-risk teens in a drug rehab center, spending 18 months with each of my students as it was mandatory punishment, and even the kids from the highest socioeconomic part of the spectrum were too far gone to reach, not matter how hard we tried, not only with them, but with the students from each part of the socioeconomic spectrum, whose parents lost custody to DYFS for 18 months. My job was to either help them graduate high school or get their GED and I was heartbroken that so many of them ended up back in the facility, or continued using drugs and other crimes. These kids look up to people like conVick as role models, that you commit a heinous crime and are rewarded with a slap on the wrist and an NFL contract. Just recently, my friend sent me a story about an innocent cat being killed by kids with an arrow because conVick got away with it and look how he is now successful again despite the inhumane acts he did. He’s not a human, but an evil monster, and obviously, even after he had his “Come to Jesus” moment, he doesn’t understand the Dominion God gave us over animals. Read Conservative Speech writer’s book Dominion.

I’m a vegetarian but I do not force others to be a vegetarian but I cannot look into the eyes of my innocent cat and two dogs, as well as the pictures of conVickls innocent victims, violating my principles to see my team I watched since I was a little girl with a dog-killer, or any of the rest of the thugs in the NFL. They deny Rush ownership but allow murderers, dog-killers and rapist in the league. I have even boycotted the HSUS of which I have been one of their top advocates for the last 30 years since I was 16, after I helped them organize the State of NJ in a campaign against them as a personal favor to a former friend who works directly on the Executive Staff under Wayne Pacelle, only to be used by them for all the work I did for them as my own free time given as free will-only for them to sell out by not fighting his return to the NFL, and then putting them on my team to boot and I happily found an national animal charity for whom to be a volunteer, Best Friends in UT, which took in conVick’s dogs that the HSUS wanted to euthanize. I just applied to be an Education Ambassador for Best Friends, going into inner-city schools to teach the true horrors of animal fighting and cruelty which comes from a pure heart and a love of animals instead of being forced to do it as part of committing a crime.

After being a volunteer for animal rescues for years, doing everything from cleaning cages, grooming, to writing the news letter, and much more, I have seen with my own eyes the inhumanity of bait animals or dog’s that were similar dog fighting victims. I suggest that everyone who wants Vick to have a second chance take the time and do it, and explain to me how that doesn’t make you understand the depth of his heinous crimes is beyond my comprehension.

I watched the 60 minutes interview where he had a smug look on his face, he is not contrite. And I have seen him speak to students about this issue and you can tell he is only there because he has to be, and that he is not really helping the cause, just fulfilling an obligation. As someone who taught at-risk teens in a drug rehab center, spending 18 months with each of my students as it was mandatory punishment, and even the kids from the highest socioeconomic part of the spectrum were too far gone to reach, not matter how hard we tried, not only with them, but with the students from each part of the socioeconomic spectrum, whose parents lost custody to DYFS for 18 months. My job was to either help them graduate high school or get their GED and I was heartbroken that so many of them ended up back in the facility, or continued using drugs and other crimes. These kids look up to people like conVick as role models, that you commit a heinous crime and are rewarded with a slap on the wrist and an NFL contract. Just recently, my friend sent me a story about an innocent cat being killed by kids with an arrow because conVick got away with it and look how he is now successful again despite the inhumane acts he did. He’s not a human, but an evil monster, and obviously, even after he had his “Come to Jesus” moment, he doesn’t understand the Dominion God gave us over animals. Read Conservative Speechwriter’s book Dominion.

I’m a vegetarian but I do not force others to be a vegetarian but I cannot look into the eyes of my innocent cat and two dogs, as well as the pictures of conVickls innocent victims, violating my principles to see my team I watched since I was a little girl with a dog-killer, or any of the rest of the thugs in the NFL. They deny Rush ownership but allow murderers, dog-killers and rapist in the leauge. I have even boycotted the HSUS of which I have been one of their top advocates for the last 30 years since I was 16, after I helped them organize the State of NJ in a campaign against them as a personal favor to a former friend who works directly on the Executive Staff under Wayne Pacelle, only to be used by them for all the work I did for them as my own free time given as free will-only for them to sell out by not fighting his return to the NFL, and then putting them on my team to boot and I happily found an national animal charity for whom to be a volunteer, Best Friends in UT, which took in conVick’s dogs that the HSUS wanted to euthanize. I just applied to be an Education Ambassador for Best Friends, going into inner-city schools to teach the true horrors of animal fighting and cruelty which comes from a pure heart and a love of animals instead of being forced to do it as part of committing a crime.

margategop517 on December 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Some of y’all act like animals have souls or something.

SouthernGent on December 19, 2010 at 11:42 PM