Huckabee: I never supported cap-and-trade regulation

posted at 6:48 pm on December 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Dave Weigel did all the googling on this, including finding the clip below, so rather than reprint the key quotes I’m going to make you read his post. Huck’s claiming today that while he did indeed support the idea of businesses voluntarily going green, he’s never been in favor of forcing them to do so. Which, in an age of conservative rebellion against mandates of any kind, is the only thing he can realistically say. But read Weigel’s post and watch the vid, paying special attention to what he says starting at around 2:08. Did I hear something in there about the Senate and “implementing true cap and trade”? That sounds awfully … mandate-y.

Among the various sources laboring under the allegedly mistaken impression that Huck supports regulating C&T: Bloomberg News, the Council on Foreign Relations, environmentalist websites, and even his own fan pages. As Hugh Hewitt might say, you know who this benefits? Mitt Romney. Exit question: Granted, this isn’t quite the albatross that RomneyCare is for Mitt, but on a scale of one to 10, how big is it?

Comments

I hate suckabeeeeeee!

bessex on December 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Huck has always been a big government guy. From forcing federal education rules on the states, to cap and trade, Huck is a typical big government, country club Republican.

Warner Todd Huston on December 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM

but on a scale of one to 10, how big is it?

Not as bad as having the name Huckabee, but big.

Rocks on December 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I give it a 7, but 4 dead policemen give a 10+

portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Huckabee = a fat George HW Bush

dforston on December 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM

that’s what she wants to know, but as far as Huckabee goes, it doesn’t matter….

ted c on December 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM

As Hugh Hewitt might say, you know who this benefits? Mitt Romney

i don’t think so at this stage anything hurting huck helps Palin the most i think…huck is the social con anti-palin vote.

Huck a liar who would have thought….

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM

but on a scale of one to 10, how big is it?

For me? That’s an 11.

AUINSC on December 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I think if this kind of thing could sink him he would already be sunk.

Mark1971 on December 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Huckabee is a likeable fellow. But anyone who, like he has, get in front of a camera on a weekly basis, and propel God, family, values, and principles, then lie like that….well…he’s not the man for the job.

NEXT!!!

capejasmine on December 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Charles Krauthammer: “So what? At least he is talking policy.”

chief on December 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

How big is it? On a scale of Mittcare and Obamacare, it’s on the same scale of over regulation mandates a government needs to over-stimulate themselves at the expense of tax payers.

Kini on December 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

but on a scale of one to 10, how big is it?

Six. Conservatives hate cap-and-trade like the plague.

amerpundit on December 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Four dead police officers were unavailable for comment.

Knucklehead on December 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Just when I thought I couldn’t loathe and detest Schmuckabee any more than I already do.

radioboyatl on December 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I don’t care for Huck.. but this isn’t anything. He isn’t in a Political Position and hasn’t been for a long time. So saying he doesn’t like or won’t support C&T isn’t on any scale.

Mitt took out a freaking State. They are in ruin due to his “healthcare” idea.

Huck.. nothing is there for him. He is a non-entity.

upinak on December 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM

No worries, Huck. I never supported you anyway.

Limerick on December 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Huckabee is one of the MSM’s favorite Republican candidates, but not as much a favorite as Romney, of course. The MSM want to influence the nomination of a RINO placeholder for the next Democratic president.

Viator on December 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM

wait. skewed poll showing huck as the GOp’s only hope coming in 3…2…1.

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

The guy is a smarmy little Liar but he has a bunch of Bible thumpers fooled. Wake up folks the faux Preacherman is a phony, throw the money changer from the temple!

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Of all the potential GOP candidates, Huckabee is by far the worst.

Go RBNY on December 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM

How is he any different than 9iu11ani: both told/tell a vast part of the GOP to get lost. The problem is Huck has no competition in IA as of yet.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM

for those of you thinking that Palin is unelectable based on poll numbers…this is the type of stuff we were talking about. Palin faced this type of negative press daily for 2 years. Huck and Mitt and all the other GOp candidates have not. Now as they enter the ring those negative stories will start to rain down on them and thier favs will take a hit.

thus all polls are full of crap at this stage because they are comparing apples to pears…

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The problem is Huck has no competition in IA as of yet.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 15, 2010 at 7:09

if Palin gets into the race that changes….

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Huckabee has found his niche as a television personality. As a political leader he fails miserably and I wouldn’t vote for this clown at gunpoint.

volsense on December 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Huckmer Gantry will lead us to total destruction, from mountains to shore.

portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I give it a 7, but 4 dead policemen give a 10+

portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

The Russian judges would also give him points for in-state tuition for illegals and his pro-amnesty stance.

TxAnn56 on December 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM

But he gets two thumbs down from Gore because of that 5000w generator he uses to power his halo.

Limerick on December 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Huckabee: I never supported cap-and-trade regulation

Bravo Foxtrot Sierra

steveegg on December 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM

TxAnn56 on December 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM

“But, I was NEVER for giving in-state-tuition for Illegals!!”

-Huckmer Gantry

portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Seocnd look at Palin…..

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Basilsbest on December 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

You don’t have to tell this “Bible thumper” anything about the Huckster. Though he’s a likeable guy, I detest him as a politician. He would be more at home in the European Christian Democrat party than in the Republican party.

He’s a pro-life, pro-God nanny stater. To me, the latter attribute cancels out both of the former attributes.

kakypat on December 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Go away, Huck.

Y-not on December 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

kakypat on December 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I’m a “Thumper” too, didn’t mean it derogatorily it’s just that I can spot a phony a mile away and smell one from a hundred yards and hear one from any whence he speaks and this phony sounds my alarms.

If nothin else he would be the supreme RINO of all RINOs if not an outright socialist!

I hope not so many of my fellow Iowans are fooled again.

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

You know who this hurts? Krauthammer!

huckleberryfriend on December 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Huckabee is a socialist in a Jimmy Swaggart’s clothing.

Cicero43 on December 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

10+.

TheAlamos on December 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Huckabee is a socialist in a Jimmy Swaggart’s clothing.

Cicero43 on December 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Hey, at least Jimmy Swaggart practiced the word “repentance” and attrition.

TheAlamos on December 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Odds are Huck grabs onto the Pawlenty “He did it too” life raft if this becomes a major issue, and drags both of them down during next year’s primaries (though at least Pawlenty was smart enough to switch his cap and trade position 15 months ago).

jon1979 on December 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I give it a 7, but 4 dead policemen give a 10+
portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Thread over.

picklesgap on December 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I give it an 8.5. I hope it’s a 10 though. The Huckabots will never give up on their man, but hopefully enough folks will get this info and start to question ‘The Other One’ and it will reveal him to them for the fake he is.

Please give us more good anti-Huck stuff whenever you can, AP. I love seeing flim-flam men get caught in the act. No doubt Huck will blame this on some vast Mormon conspiracy against him.

JimP on December 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Huckabee 2011:

“I never tried to ban teachers from drinking soda on school property”

“I never tried to raise taxes on Arkansas’ middle class”

“I never called actual conservatives Shiite terrorists”

“I never used the state troopers and limos to go to taco bell”

FAIL

picklesgap on December 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I remember an article I read in 2008 that was written in 2005, about Huck and the President of Tyson Foods at some Hispanic grievance convention, and how he was favoring illegal immigrants so Tyson Foods could keep their cheap labor in the chicken processing plants.

That one might be bigger, but this doesn’t help for sure.

Brian1972 on December 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Granted, this isn’t quite the albatross that RomneyCare is for Mitt…

Perhaps but it’s pretty darn close.

I’d rate it a 7.

The Ugly American on December 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Oh he did support it and it was part of his platform in 2008

LIAR!

Kermit on December 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM

With regards to 2012 I want someone who has been in the arena fighting Obama- not some corn fed RINO who has been doing Hee-Haw on Fox.
Same for Palin and Romney.

jjshaka on December 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Seocnd look at Palin…..

unseen on December 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Now, that’s insanely funny.

DEMINT/PALIN/REAGAN/PALIN/DEMINT 2012!

TheAlamos on December 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Huckabee Huckabee go away
don’t come again some other day.

Slowburn on December 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Remember the pardon!

KBird on December 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Hell, chart this thread and Huck couldn’t pull Little Rock right now.

Limerick on December 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

8…with a bullet.

Tim_CA on December 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

at the Clean Air Cool Planet conference in Manchester, NH

Well of course he told them he supports it; so do they.

And of course he told the Conservatives that he never supported it, because they don’t.

All you need to know about his opinion is the known opinion of the group he’s talking to…

Oh wait, that’s not a defense is it? Sorry, did my best.

gekkobear on December 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Anyone still touting upchuck-abee is a diehard. It’s like he wants to be hated.

Mormon Doc on December 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM

An 8, a dealbreaker, and by the way a big problem for Newt as well.

slickwillie2001 on December 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Pence for POTUS 2012

JustJP on December 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

slickwillie2001

How about this: Newt, Nancy, couch, global warming. The commercials would be AWESOME

Mormon Doc on December 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM

LOL! Suckabee never supported amnesty for illegal-criminals either.

Fabulous!

shorebird on December 15, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Huckabee is a Christian Socialist.

No thanks.

Norwegian on December 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Yep, this video barely managed to stir up 60+ comments on one of the most anti-Huckabee blogs on the Internet.

This has gotta be lights out for Huckabee. /

cschande on December 15, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Huckabee is a Christian Democrat in Republican clothing.

TheAlamos on December 16, 2010 at 12:08 AM

There is no problem for which the government does not have just the right solution – Huck doctrine.

Go away man.

antisocial on December 16, 2010 at 12:26 AM

At least the Huckster is consistent. Don’t trust him on anything.

Mallard T. Drake on December 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Try Huckabee brand snake oil.
It’s the best!

FloatingRock on December 16, 2010 at 2:14 AM

cschande on December 15, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Come on CS. HA, the site, is not anti-Huck. Unless you define anti-Huck as presenting the facts, which make Huck look like the phony that he is. There is consistency among the commenters here in dislike and distrust of Huck. The dislike and distrust are based on Huck’s record combined with his lies.

My question is why aren’t Huck’s supporters here defending him with facts that disprove the anti-Huck opinions of the commenters? Could it be that Huck’s supporters are big government “Christian socialists” like Huck and not really conservatives at all? Their silence seems to be tacit acknowledgement that, yes, Huck is exactly what all we commenters say he is.

JimP on December 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM

The Albatross twins;
Huckster has Cap & Trade
Romney has Romneycare

But the conclusion RINOs draw from their positions on those two electoral disaster issues is that;
Palin is unelectable.

I’ll stick with Palin for President thank you very much.

Done That on December 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM

He panders badly.

Kissmygrits on December 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Swarmy liar. No Huck, no way.

DeMint in ’12!

ncjetsfan on December 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I was for it before I was against it.

btw, Am I the only one that is getting ads for a gay social network? Not that there’s anything wrong with it; it’s just I’m not the target audience.

mizflame98 on December 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I’d say more. Remember Pawlenty is still on the global warming & gasohol bandwagons, last I heard. At least Huck is trying to weasle his back.

MNHawk on December 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Romney automatically has no shot at the nomination soley because of RomneyCare. I don’t think this is quite on that level. Huckabee can pivot away on this issue. Romney can’t do that with RomneyCare. RomneyCare was one of his biggest achievements as governor. Either Romney sticks up for it or he admits it was a bad deal. He’s screwed either way.

keepinitreal on December 16, 2010 at 10:05 AM

10. Its that bad.

As for RomneyCare, the federal government cannot mandate you to buy healthcare. But states can like Massachusetts. Or states are free to ban mandates as Virginia and many other states.

Its amazing how ignorant people are on Constitutional issues.

Conservative Samizdat on December 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM

With a name like Huckabee, this guy would have to be completely solid, Chuck Norris style, in order to be taken seriously. The name jokes just write themselves. BTW, Chuck Norris style he is not. Thumbs down on the Huckster.

samuelrylander on December 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM

mizflame98 on December 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I don’t know much about how these sidebar ads work, except that yesterday I got a bunch of ads from Cabela’s about the “Women’s Outerwear” department, right after searching there for a jacket for my wife. I think they might derive at least partially from cookies stored on your computer by the sights that have been visited.

samuelrylander on December 16, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Mikey “The Huckster” Huckabee http://bit.ly/bLpjaV

Winghunter on December 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

The more you learn about any politician the less you like them. Huckabee will support whatever concept he thinks will help him with his potential voters to get elected. Once elected, all bets are off.

Neo on December 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

JimP on December 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Or maybe we just have better things to do than argue with people like you.

By the way, if you care, Huckabee has corrected the record on this issue just today.

cschande on December 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Huckabee just posted this on Facebook:

Cap And Trade
by Mike Huckabee on Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 11:57am

In an attempt by bloggers to provide another “GOTCHA” moment – video of a speech I delivered at a climate conference is circulating around as “evidence” of my support for the mandatory cap and trade bill.

To help sort fact from fiction, here is my position – just as it was in 2007:

Like President Reagan and both Presidents Bush, I do support voluntary cap and trade that would allow responsible companies to sell carbon credits to other companies whose emissions exceed the current legal levels – the goal would be a reduction of carbon emissions over a period of time. In the video, I specifically named Wal-Mart from my home state as an example of responsible corporate policy.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 – that President Bush ultimately signed was not a cap and trade law. It addressed automobile fuel economy, the development of bio-fuels energy, and efficiency in public buildings and lighting. The reference I made in the speech about the House’s action was because it established a responsible and scientific standard for counting carbon emissions – the House had passed it, but the Senate had not. Even in the voluntary approach, having a standard is necessary. In my speech, I specifically said “carbon counting.” Those who are now breathlessly trotting out their attacks that I supported mandatory cap and trade have simply not done their homework.

That is a far cry from supporting a mandatory federal tax and certainly dramatically different from the 2010 legislation known as the Kerry Bill, which I strongly opposed; as evidenced by numerous comments I made in print, in my daily radio commentaries and on my weekly television show.

I do believe that all of us have a responsibility to be good stewards of the environment and to be respectful of the fact that we are responsible to God for good and careful use of His creation. That is exactly the position I’ve held politically and attempted to practice personally.”

texasconserv on December 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Even in the voluntary approach, having a standard is necessary.

Though I usually disagree with his views, Huckabee’s right on in this case. Voluntary measures are the way to go, as cap and trade will almost certainly never fly with the American public.

Also, he does accept the gravity of the situation we are facing with greenhouse gas emissions.

oakland on December 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM

cschande on December 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM

LOL That’s why you posted your retort, right? Because you have better things to do. Come on CS, engage and actually defend your guy or stop whining about HA being anti-Huck or “people like” me.

Oh, and Huck’s take back/spin/clairification is just an attempt at damage control. He lied, got caught and now he’s looking like a sleazy politician and not an honest guy.

JimP on December 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I just so happened to read Dubner and Leavitt’s chapter today on global warming in their SuperFreakonomics book. They go on to say that environmental scientists are now truly dogmatic and are ready to create climate models that approximate current models….so that they can get more science/research grants !

Nathan MyhrVold, a former Microsoft big shot is now running a company in Seattle called Intellectual Ventures that is dedicated to finding simple solutions to the warming trend…. imagine that…a company that does not hyperventilate and exaggerate the current warming trend but at the same time tries to cool the rise in temperatures without a complex cap and tax trading boondoggle.

Even better Dubner and Leavitt show that even if the US, China, Europe etc reduce their carbon emissions to near zero, it STILL would have no effect on the environment that is significant enough to say that these sacrifices were worth it. In short, the cr*p and tax crapola is huge complex “solution” that “solves” exactly nothing. Precisely the reason why people like Nathan Myrhold are looking for simpler solutions – after all nature loves simplicity.

Huckabee is a huckster and knows nothing about this subject.Superfreaknomics is an excellent read and shows how global warmongering has now become fashionable among pols.

nagee76 on December 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Breaking News: Global Warming Consensus was only 75 scientists worldwide http://bit.ly/eq5GBK

Princeton Physics Professor: Global warming really population-control movement http://bit.ly/4wx7fR

“Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense…The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning.” – Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal

It takes the criminally ignorant not to know Global Warming is the biggest con ever perpetrated on the entire world.- Which explains your support of the Huckster, doesn’t it.

Mikey “The Huckster” Huckabee http://bit.ly/bLpjaV