Bill Hemmer to Cornyn: Why do you have earmarks in the new spending bill if you hate them so much?

posted at 5:35 pm on December 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

A darned good question. Inserting them into the bill in the first place is bad enough, but at they very least he could have yanked them after the Senate GOP caucus passed DeMint’s earmark moratorium. Kind of like Orrin Hatch did:

After the Republican caucus voted to impose an earmark moratorium last month, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) — who’s likely to face a primary challenge from the right in 2012 — asked Senate appropriators to strip his earmarks from the omnibus.

“I did,” Hatch confirmed to me this afternoon after a Senate vote, “because I decided I voted for the moratorium, and I thought ‘well, I need to do that.’”…

This afternoon, I asked Thune, a likely GOP presidential candidate, why he didn’t do what Hatch did.

“I guess I hadn’t thought about doing it,” he confessed. “The resolution that we passed applied to the next two years, it didn’t apply to this budget year [but] we are where we are now, the bill’s on the floor, but I think that we have an opportunity to strip earmarks out on the floor, we will. And we may get that opportunity.”

Says Dan Foster of the omnibus bill, which has been kicking around in the Senate for ages, “[I]n many cases senators had months to register protest. Senator Hatch did just that. Why didn’t others?” Another darned good question. Under pressure, Thune’s office told him that they didn’t yank the earmarks because they didn’t think Democrats would proceed on the bill but that they will now if they get a chance. Which is super, but once again fails to address the problem of why they were inserted to begin with. I hope tea partiers mean it when they say they’re a lasting force that’ll ride herd on incumbents for years to come, because if it doesn’t occur even to budding presidential candidates like Thune to take basic fiscally responsible steps like this, the pressure that’ll have to be exerted on the caucus is even greater than I thought. In fact, anyone think Hatch would have made this move if not for the example made last year of Bob Bennett and the looming primary threat he faces from Jason Chaffetz? Elections do indeed have consequences.

Two clips for you here, the first via Mediaite of the exchange between Hemmer and Cornyn, who takes the same line about “individually defensible” spending projects as the Republicans quoted in that splashy Politico piece last week. Just as every prisoner will tell you that he’s not guilty, every congressman will tell you that all of his pork projects are “individually defensible.” As for the second clip, it requires no explanation. Just a stroll down memory lane back to 2009, via Guy Benson. Enjoy. Exit question: Aren’t the earmark provisions in the omnibus bill actually a great opportunity for Boehner? If it passes, Bill Kristol’s surely right that one of the first orders of business in the House come January will be stripping them out — which will force Reid and Obama to explain why that shouldn’t be done. I can’t wait to hear that argument.

Comments

I saw that this morning. It was a little awkward, but Hemmer didn’t relent.

Esthier on December 15, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Walk the Walk GOP, or the next line you’ll walk is to the Unemployment line.

STAND FOR SOMETHING GOP!!

portlandon on December 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM

If they’re “individually defensible” then put them in an individual bill and try to pass them that way like you’re supposed too!

catmman on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

“Make the enemy follow their own playbook.” – Sol Alinsky

This doesn’t excuse the GOP screw up, but know that THIS is exactly what the statists are going to be doing for the next two years.

itzWicks on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Cornyn to Hemmer: “Because I’m a useless RINO pretending to be a Conservative, and I hope those dumb hicks back in Texas either aren’t paying attention or will forget what a douche bag I am by 2014, when I’m up for re-election.”

Don’t worry Johnny Boy, us Texans have a LONG memory, and are looking for your replacement as we speak.

gary4205 on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

facepalm

pseudonominus on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

‘Accountability’ doesn’t mean being able to count.

j_galt on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I’ve been on the phone yesterday and today, calling this twit as well as many others. Our local Tea Party in Houston is sending out email blasts highlighting all this, and how they‘re not getting our message. We are watching and we will hold these shmucks accountable in 2012.

Weight of Glory on December 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Cornyn is my senator, and I can assure you, he won’t be receiving my vote next time around.

capejasmine on December 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM

A well deserved smack for my senator.

cozmo on December 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Is there any change of the omnibus spending bill being defeated?

pseudonominus on December 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM

We’ve got a lot of work to do to clean up this mess in Congress…

d1carter on December 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM

gary4205 on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Amen fellow Texan. This idiot is going to get his a** handed to him in 2014. He has been an absolute embarrassment.

davek70 on December 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM

gary4205 on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Yep. He got a nasty gram from me two minutes ago.

txhsmom on December 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM

gary4205 on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

davek70 on December 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM

As another fellow Texan….I concur!

capejasmine on December 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Well, Lisa M. touted how earmarks were smart. Let’s see what she thinks after this fiasco.

AnninCA on December 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM

As a Utah resident, I’m glad Hatch pulled his earmarks. That shows a level of integrity that is uncommon in government nowadays. I’ll also be glad to vote for his challenger in the ’12 primary. I just can’t forgive his involvement in penning the DREAM act.

Wingo on December 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM

The Democratic Party, from Obama on down, seem to have embraced denial, as to what exactly happened on November 2nd, 2011. Somehow,using their own unique pretzel logic, they have intentionally misconstrued the Midterm results to mean that Americans want them to double down on their Progressive Schemes. What’s equally as bad, is the reaction of the Beltway Elite Republicans, who see the election as an affirmation to continue their backroom dealing.

To those in Washington who think that the results of the Midterms mean that you can continue ignoring the wishes of the American people, a word of warning: I hope y’all have a trade you can fall back on after November 2012. Politics as usual just ain’t gonna cut it.

kingsjester on December 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Walk the Walk GOP, or the next line you’ll walk is to the Unemployment line.

That’s just it. If Republicans come off as hypocrites, or appear weak, I can just see the GOP disbanding into two or three independent parties.

We have the House. I have all the confidence in the world in Boehner to stay on course…but the next 2 years will determine the fate of the Senate and the White House.

JetBoy on December 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM

We are already pounding Cornyn AND Hutchison for their earmarks here in Texas online. They just don’t get it; this isn’t your Daddy’s electorate and- at a big TeaParty rally on January 11th in Austin- we will start gathering races to target and start candidate searches and recruitment. BOTH senators have issues and can look forward to tough primaries if they don’t start to ‘get it’. (And we STILL prefer someone who saw the light, not felt the heat).

michaelo on December 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM

GOP sucks. Next.

blatantblue on December 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM

davek70 on December 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM

As much as I would like to agree with this I am a little more pragmatic. He may get a primary challenge from Medina, but he won’t lose over this or his handling of the senate elections.

cozmo on December 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Hey guys, it’s just Big, Bad John!

Vera on December 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

davek70 on December 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM

cozmo on December 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Ya but do you actually believe he has the ability to be a good conservative till re election?

heshtesh on December 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

MEDIA WITH CAJONES when they question the GOP (Cornyn is even a RINO at that). Meanwhile the DOTUS has the lapdance media’s cajones whenever he comes near. Dare not to question the O’Jesus.

GOP LEADERSHIP WITH NO CAJONES……….ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!!

If only everything the entire 111th Traitorous Congress could have all bills rescinded by the 112th. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with 35 mph Progressive leadership in the 112th instead of 75 mph Progressive Leadership in the 111th.

GOD HELP US………..and I don’t mean the Government in the usual Progressive context.

PappyD61 on December 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

heshtesh on December 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

He will re-invent himself come January much as McCain has. Even here in Texas, the majority of the electorate have short memories and high threshold for pork from their own congress critter.

And that’s not being overly cynical.

cozmo on December 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

gary4205 on December 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

davek70 on December 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM

As another fellow Texan….I concur!

capejasmine on December 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Add me to the Texan against Cornyn club. That RINO has got to go. It’s amazing a state as conservative as Texas would have 2 RINO senators.

mizflame98 on December 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

There needs to be a consolidated effort by Texans – we need to get together and start a movement like Steele did with “Fire Pelosi” except in our case it would be “Primary Cornyn”

Dr Evil on December 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I really hope he faces a primary challenge. We really don’t have any fiscally conservative Senators from Texas.

halfastro on December 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

And that’s not being overly cynical.

cozmo on December 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Say it ain’t so, my representative’s in NY would nver behave in that manner.//

heshtesh on December 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Love the headline! LOL!

FloatingRock on December 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Wingo on December 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM

My question to Hatch is why he put earmarks in there in the first place. And I agree, that his involvement in penning the DREAM nightmare is unforgivable.

Lourdes on December 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

If it’s “individually defensible” then it should be voted on individually.

FloatingRock on December 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I’ve been trying to call the DC offices of Hutchison and Cornyn to promise them that if they have earmarks in this bill and this bill passes, I guarantee that each of the Texas senators will be primaried.

I repeat. I promise it. Adios, Hutchison and Cornyn.

moochy on December 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Apparently, he was for it before he was against it.

esnap on December 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Wasn’t Corynhall a head of the NRSC or something? Good thing I never give those Jackasses any of my money!

Corynhall is gonna need plenty of it and as for Looney Thune …..Forget the Presidency Jerk….you will be lucky to have a job next time your up.

CLEAN HOUSE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE RINOs be GONE!

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

SHOW ME THE PRINCIPALS!!!

lwssdd on December 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Oh and KILL THE BILL! SHUT THE GOVT DOWN SOME THINGS ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR. FIGHT OR BE GONE!

dhunter on December 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Keep their feet to the fire.

Make them live by their own words.

In fairness I think most of the earmarks “by” Republicans are old requests that the Democrats put in to make Republicans look as bad as Democrats. They haven’t really been requested in the last few months… some have been requested for years… and now they find them in this bill that they aren’t allowed to read before the vote…

We are being manipulated by Nancy Pelosi here. So with eyes wide open.

Hold their feet to the fire.

petunia on December 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM

capejasmine on December 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Ditto. It seems like I’ve had to call his office and complain at least once a month for the last five years. We need to get rid of KBH first and then target him. I think Dan Patrick would be a good replacement for either one of them.

TxAnn56 on December 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Count me as a Houstonian who wants to be rid of Cornyn and Hutchison. Time to recruit high caliber primary challengers. If we wanted Democrat-Lite, we’d have voted for it in 2010. Cornyn and Kay Bailey have proven themselves incapable of learning.

obladioblada on December 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I don’t know if it’s a good strategy for the GOP to refuse earmarks while allowing the Democrats to keep piling them on.

WisCon on December 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Honestly, I don’t know why any of this is a surprise to anyone. The new crew gets started in January; you know, the new gang we just elected to get on in there and get the work of the people done. In the meanwhile, we have the establishment folks who have a track record of talking the walk and then voting the opposite of the talk and in most cases voting against the will of the people.

We have much work to do folks. We must hold the fire to the newbees coming in, while finding good replacements for the establishment creatures that remain in office.

Keemo on December 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM

No more business as usual, this the big time now.

Speakup on December 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Cornyn is a pretender. He voted for TARP. He is the epitome of a old boys club Republican. I wrote him at TARP time and told him if he voted for it, he’d never receive another vote from me. I REALLY hope he gets primaried!

daddio on December 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

According to Erick at Red State, the same R’s that shouted that we had to pass TARP right now because the sky is falling, is at it again and they are badmouthing the R’s that are coming out against it. They would be Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor, John Thune, Cornyn, and John Kyle, who I believe is cosponsor of it. These people didn’t get the message. As Glenn would say, I have blood shooting out of my eyeballs! Rush was really PO’d about it today also, and said let the gov. shut down – the people didn’t vote for this. The R’s haven’t changed – they think they still have to go along to get along. I don’t want to see on here anyone supporting any of these people for president. They need their a$$e$ kicked out – I guess they don’t take our vote very serious. We just have to show them we mean no. Write or call them and let them know that no means “hell, no”.

silvernana on December 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Hahahahaha!!! Cornyn pulled an Obamateurism!

csdeven on December 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

They have been out of power since 2007 for a reason – this behavior is the reason.

Who still thinks Mike Castle would have been a great Senator from Delaware? John Cornyn thinks he was the best choice.

Says volumes doesn’t it.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Says volumes doesn’t it.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I wonder, some times (and this is one of them), if the GOP wants to lose elections, at least timed or specific ones predetermined accordingly.

I thought as much with the McCain candidacy in 2007/8, something that grew out of the Left, apparently, and continued on despite voter objections as to candidate and campaign. My impression was it was for purposes of electing Obama

With Cornyn, people like him, I get the same impression, they end up voting for legislation that voters object to — Cornyn caved on Sotomayor, for example, if ever had objections to her despite his attempts to appear “grilling” in the hearings; I was stymied by his vote for her afterward, as if his examinations of her were simply for show.

Lourdes on December 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

John f’ing Thune–real profile in courage.
Not a chance in he’ll I’d vote for this RINO schmuck.

james23 on December 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Do your job, Senator, or we will replace you with someone who will. And I’m from Texas.

Good job, Bill. Keep them honest and remind them of their commitments.

BruthaMan on December 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Another Texan looking to replace RINO senators…

I haven’t been in Texas that long, though. I do remember that when Hutchison said she was going to resign her seat to run for governor (which she reneged on), one of the Railroad Commisioners, Michael Williams, had been planning to run for that seat.

I was told he’s very conservative. Can anyone confirm? Is he a viable candidate? Cornyn’s still got 4 years but Hutchison, well, it’s not too early to find her replacement…(and get someone else to be state speaker instead of Straus)

Eren on December 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Jon Cornyn sucks ass. And Demint and all the GOP leaders are gutless cowards and scumbags. Time to primary every last one of these bastards.

roninacreage on December 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Here’s what I just e-mailed John.

Senator Cornyn,

I CANNOT believe you did what you did today. Earmarks? Are you crazy? You’d better yank that crap out of the Democrats bill and pronto bud. You’re doing your best to get primaried next go round. I’ve never sent you any nasty messages before, and voted for you as Atty Gen of Tx and Senator. But if you think you’re getting away with this sort of thing after last Novembers message to you guys, well, I’ll be working for whoever runs AGAINST you.

ps, I’m joining the TEA party as soon as I can.

You better back the truck up bud, and quick.

44Magnum on December 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

It looks like the Democrats aren’t the only ones who haven’t figured out this election. The Republicans seem to believe they have a free ride. With the Democrats in charge, they can say they didn’t write the bill, sort of like Kerry’s “I voted for it, before I voted against it” wiggle.

Obama will never veto this thing, it’s the bill h e wants. The Democrats took a shot, they didn’t pass any of this before the election. They actually survived losing the Senate and this is what we get.

If the Republicans don’t filibuster this and pull their earmarks, they ought to be primaried, every one of them who’s up for election in 2012.

bflat879 on December 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM

“Well I think I can but I’m not going to. I’m going to vote against this bill.”

Heh. He’s going to vote against his own earmark. Good grief.

Jaibones on December 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM

mizflame98 on December 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM
What a sorry excuse for a senator. I am joining the Texans against Cornyn Club.

mobydutch on December 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Elections do indeed have consequences.

And I am loving the latest consequences. We just need to keep all elected officials on our side in line.

To GOP POLS:
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.

antisocial on December 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM

It makes me sad, all this millions being spent, and I am doing volunteer work here in Florida to round up and deliver toys and food to families who have adults out of work and not receiving any benefits.

As a Marine Pfc. back in the day, we could always fight our way out of a tough spot — now it is my own government who oppresses and discards us like a piece of dung.

I look for Command leadership and think I have found some via the Tea Party and we win a battle, and damn if the mf’ers in Washington don’t continue on with business as usual. Everyone of them sob’s in office/power are traitors in my opinion because they are setting us – America – to fail financially in the near future.

It is not a merry Christmas for me.

jarhead0311 on December 16, 2010 at 5:50 AM

The Republicans need to be held accountable for these earmarks, and the public needs to hold all elected officials accountable for spending our taxpayers wisely, however there is an attitude that I am detecting in my little corner of the world that is disturbing. More and more people are frustrated at all of the spending being generated out of Washington without seeing any real impact in their lives. GA has an unemployment rate of 10.1%, and unless you were a teacher none of the stimulus funds made it your way. All that we see is trillions of dollars going into a big sinkhole so the thinking has turned into a might as well get something for all of that money we are sending into the blackhole. We are holding out for crumbs while those who have most favored status with the Obama administration are feasting on Weigu steak and fine wine.

I am considered a hardliner because I am against all the earmarks, and as such I run into comments from people who feel the only way any of our money will ever get back to us is if the congress critters can somehow put it in their back pocket and bring it home. You can argue about how the money only benefits those in academia or a small number of people and it will fall on deaf ears. At this time people are looking for any tangible sign that things will get better. It is one gloomy Christmas season around here this year with so many in need and those who can give afraid to be too generous because nobody is sure of a job after the first of the year.

Anyway it is a long winded way to say we need to make the federal government feel our pain.

Just A Grunt on December 16, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I thought Cornyn was a conservative…at least that is what crr6 said…

ladyingray on December 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I decided a long time ago I’m voting against Cornyn in the next primary. If he wins, there’s a good chance I’ll just not vote for a senator in the general.

Over50 on December 16, 2010 at 8:45 AM

“Well I think I can but I’m not going to. I’m going to vote against this bill.”

Heh. He’s going to vote against his own earmark. Good grief.

Jaibones on December 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Apparently, he lied about that too. Cornyn was a Yea.

Syd B. on December 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

OneGyT on December 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM

“And Demint and all the GOP leaders are gutless cowards and scumbags.”

1. DeMint?! If we didn’t have Jim DeMint leading the conservatives in the Senate, we’d be nowhere.

2.DeMint isn’t a part of the GOP leadership in the Senate. As a matter of fact he’s reviled by that leadership (McConnell, Cornyn, Burr, etc.).

ncjetsfan on December 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM