Video: The sadly obligatory “punk Jets coach trips Dolphins player” clip

posted at 6:30 pm on December 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not as embarrassing as the Woody Hayes meltdown, but embarrassing enough to warrant a little ritual public shaming. As a Jets fan, I wish I could say I was surprised. But…

“They’re cheaters,” outspoken linebacker Channing Crowder said. “They do what they do. They cheat. They talk junk. But we beat the hell out of them today. … I wish they’d tripped me. I’d have broken that old man’s leg. I didn’t see anything. He stuck his leg out and tripped him? He should be ashamed of himself. A grown man from the coaching staff? That’s high character.”

Running back Ricky Williams said: “It’s the Jets right? We’re not surprised.”

They’re awfully hard to root for, which is a tough thing for a J-E-T-S booster to admit in a year when they were once 9-2. In fact, that was the only saving grace of that utter humiliation in New England a few weeks ago. If you’re going to get destroyed on national television after weeks of “game of the year” hype by your most bitter divisional rival, at least be unlikable enough that I don’t much care when it happens. Mission accomplished!

Two clips for you, the first of the tripping and the second of conditioning coach Sal Alosi explaining that his act “does not reflect what this organization stands for.” Really? And speaking of punk (former) Jets, if you want to use this thread to comment on the latest big news in the endless and endlessly tedious soap opera that is Brett Favre’s career, feel free. Click the first image to watch.

Comments

Hmmm … I guess he didn’t know there were cameras in the building.

Tony737 on December 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Professional sports in America…becoming more and more of a crock each passing day.

This is why I’ve turned off professional sports over the years. They don’t affect my pay grade, but I can try to affect theirs. So can all of us.

I’d rather spend a couple bucks to see a local high school football or basketball game.

coldwarrior on December 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Maybe now he really will retire.

ladyingray on December 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM

That’ll teach him not to run so close to the line on the wrong side of the field.

/I keed, I keed

KSgop on December 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Punk is right…

Seven Percent Solution on December 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Bad enough that he did it, but to do it in a place where he knows there are cameras recording every part of the field — what a moron.

AZCoyote on December 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Where is Jetboy?

He has some explaining to do. /

portlandon on December 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

They could bury this coach next to that game ball they had a funeral for last week.

portlandon on December 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Maybe he got a thrill up his leg.

Mark1971 on December 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Going into the New England game, the three best records in the NFL belonged to the Jets, Patriots, and Falcons, all at 9 and 2. In the two games since, the Patriots and Falcons have done what Super Bowl contenders are supposed to do; they stepped it up and are now 11 and 2. The Jets have lost two games. Looks like were still not going to see a Jets team of the post Joe Namath era in the Super Bowl.

radjah shelduck on December 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I thought the most embarassing aspect of the last 2 weeks was listening to all the Jets whine about how the Patriots ran up the score on them. What are they going to do? Stop scoring in order to spare your multi-million dollar hurt feelings?

Zetterson on December 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The Woody Hayes slug-fest was the best of the best of the best.

John the Libertarian on December 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I’ve spent 15 seasons coaching Pop Warner football and Little League baseball, teaching kids good sportsmanship… and this is the stuff they learn from watching the “pros.”

Fire him.

VastRightWingConspirator on December 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM

coldwarrior on December 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I’m enjoying life a lot more since I quit spectator sports. Having more time on weekends is a biggie. Also no depression when my team loses. And since the vast majority of teams don’t win championships in any given season, my team was usually destined to lose big games if they even made it to the playoffs. No more drama! No more stupid trash talking fan arguments. Also, no more money wasted on tickets, jerseys (of ungrateful, mercenary players), etc.

itsnotaboutme on December 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM

A few weeks ago?

Where is Jetboy?

He has some explaining to do. /

portlandon on December 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I take the 5th.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Ha, I know you’re trying to erase that game from your memory, Allah, but it was last Monday night!

Zetterson on December 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Other teams have whined the same thing about the Patriots running the score up too. Same thing happened to the 49ers.

Last time I checked, the objective of a football game was to score points. Not to make the other team feel good.

BTW, this tripping thing is all Bill Belichick’s fault. Next question?

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Prediction – Favre goes on IR, the NFL announces a retroactive suspension, Sterger gets her payday, everybody is happy.

steveegg on December 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

The real travesty is I won’t get to see the Giants game. C’mon, put it on the NFL Network.

rbj on December 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hall of Fame NFL legend George Halas allegedly did the same thing:

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

He needs to be fired and the team needs fined about a million dollars. This is so over the line.

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Not as embarrassing as the Woody Hayes meltdown

Maybe not but at least Hayes did not pretend he wasn’t doing what he was doing.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Heck they don’t even flag someone for turning Ben Roethlesburgers nose into cornflakes.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Zetterson on December 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I agree with you. I was watching a documentary about the SMU football team post “death penalty”. Within about a minute on the show, there were people complaining about how insulting it was that Lou Holtz had a player run out of bounds rather than score when ND was up bid, then complaining about another team running up the score the following week. If you’re beaten badly, just suck it up and try to improve.

mikeyboss on December 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

huge metaphor.

blatantblue on December 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM

He should be fired.

Y-not on December 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM

It’s finally over now thankfully, he’s played his last game.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Aw, jeez. You mean Allahpundit is a Jets fan, too?

Emperor Norton on December 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM

rbj on December 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Per NFL.com

Fans can catch the New York Giants vs. Minnesota Vikings game in Detroit in its entirety on NFL Network and NFL.com at midnight ET nationally following the live game on Monday night.

The game will be available for 24 hours on NFL.com without commercials and will feature the FOX Sports broadcast. If ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcast featuring the Baltimore Ravens at the Houston Texans is still being played past midnight ET, the Giants-Vikings game will not be available on NFL.com until that game is over.

The live broadcast of the game is on Fox affiliates in the local New York and Minnesota markets. It will also be live on DirecTV’s Sunday Ticket.

NFL Network will also have a special edition of “NFL Total Access” Monday at 6 p.m. ET with the latest news on the Vikings’ Brett Favre and both Monday night games.

clement on December 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

It’s not as if Ben is the only player to get one. In fact, the Saints gave Carson Palmer one last year, and they weren’t flagged.

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

It is a known fact that a rotten fish stinks at the head, and there is no way you are going to convince me this goof didn’t trip this player without the expressed approval and consent of the Jet’s head coach.

Frankly, maybe the owner of the Jets should just hand the entire coaching staff their walking papers for this boneheaded stunt and just consider the rest of the season a lost cause. And in the meantime, the NFL should fine the Jets into poverty for what happened on Sunday.

Besides, the Jets stink on ice this year anyway. So it’s no lost cause if they are shut down for the remainder of the season.

pilamaye on December 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Although our team has been pretty pathetic for the past decade, at least I can be proud that the Buffalo Bills is not a dirty or classless team.

;-)

Logic on December 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM

clement on December 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Thanks — but midnight? I wasn’t early enough to get a free ticket, I live in Toledo so it’s only about an hour drive. But downtown Detroit at night is not a place I want to be.

As for the Ben punching, just consider it came from the young woman’s dad and call it over. Ben’s damn lucky he didn’t get more from that.

rbj on December 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Gimme a friggin’ break.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Feel for you, Jet. And here I thought your bad taste was limited to politicians. :)

Esthier on December 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I take the 5th.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I’ll take the 6th and 7/8th’s ……

Jerome Horwitz on December 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Guess that makes it ok. /

Funny Ben got hit in the helmet again yesterday and still no flag. Too bad he cannot get the Tom Brady level of care from the NFL.

Pineapple guy: What is your point about someone else getting a broken nose? What does that have to do with my point?

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Miami…still better than Buffalo!

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The NFL is being pussified.

justltl on December 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Del – Oh that is right – I said Ben was the only one . Wait a minute …ferget it.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I believe the NY Jets should be barred from the league forever for this egregious act and the franchise replaced with a Lingerie League team.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I take the 5th.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I reject the 5th because some historian told me it only included in the Constitution reluctantly, as part of a compromise or something.

So you’re gonna have to talk.

forest on December 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Cheap shot by the Jets’ coach, but does it matter that the Dolphin player was violating the rules? You cannot intentionally run out of bounds, run 30 yards down the field, then re-enter the field of play to make a play.

Captain Kirock on December 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

That coach is what ObamaPelosiReid think the Tea Pary is. They had it all until we tripped them up.

*Why do I feel the need to make everything political? Gah!*

SouthernGent on December 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM

rbj on December 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I’m sure Fox isn’t jumping for joy knowing they set up their Sunday national game with Joe Buck and Troy Aikman to end up on Monday night just to about six U.S. markets and NFL Sunday Ticket fans live, and to everyone else on tape delay, but only if you’re not worried about getting to work on time on Tuesday (and if I weren’t a Giants fan, I’d be rooting for the Vikings and Tavaris Jackson tonight, since ESPN is treating the end of Brett Farve’s streak with roughly the same somberness as TV handled the JFK assassination in 1963. Blech.)

jon1979 on December 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM

If the NFL wants to protect the quarterbacks more and not turn the game into something akin to soccer, they should simply ease up on the ridiculous holding calls.
Just make it illegal for offensive lineman to grasp with the hands.

justltl on December 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Could Favre be dressed any more like a hobo – geez.

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Look, I don’t know what the fuss is all about. I watched the video closely and clearly saw the Dolphin player run out of bounds and intentionally assault Coach Alosi with his knee.

Well, that’s what JetBoy paid me to say . . .

BigAlSouth on December 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

As a Steelers fan I hate the Patriots.
But Heyzeus- they are a MACHINE.

justltl on December 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

That Jets coach is a tool. That’s so completely bush league, I can’t believe a so-called professional would dare do such a thing.

As far as Favre goes, good riddance. Tired of hearing about him and his drama queen antics. Go away already!

changer1701 on December 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I don’t recall the NFL “protecting” Tom Brady in the first game of the 2008 season…

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

That’s ’cause he’s a *gasp* Stealer!

ladyingray on December 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Del Dole …what still not response to why you brought up the fact that someone else got a broken nose?

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Captain Kirock on December 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Then it is up to the officials to call the penalty. Not the Jets’ coaching staff. Remember what Jets stands for…

Just
End
The
Season

Go Phins!

cobrakai99 on December 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Del Dole btw that was a legal hit.

Oh and then what happened???

You are hilarious . ….. btw the hands to the heads of the QB is already illegal. Three times in two weeks Ben has been hit in the head and no flags.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I do love the selective memories.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM

FUNNY Dole a similar thing happened to a guy named Palmer. Hmmm no new rule or clarification for him.

CWforFreedom on December 13, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Wow, Allahpundit is a Jets fan. Sweet!!!

I didn’t think that Dolphin victory could feel any better. I was wrong. Misery for Jetboy & Allahpundit. You have got to love that.

I am going to enjoy watching the Jets choke their way out of the playoff picture. They are free falling and their schedule just gets tougher.

@Pittsburgh
@Chicago
Buffalo

chief on December 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I take the 5th.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Whiskey or vodka?
;)

soundingboard on December 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM

RE: Del Del:

I have absolutely NO sympathy for anything that happens to Marcia Brady after cheap-shot artist Wilfork’s hit on Losman.(Yes, he was fined – and the NFL looks at the tapes very thoroughly.)

Logic on December 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Just
End
The
Season

Go Phins!

cobrakai99 on December 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Old joke:

What do the Rev. Billy Graham and the New York Jets have in common?

They both can make 70,000 people at Shea Stadium stand up and say “Jesus Christ!”

Captain Kirock on December 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Another great example of football teaching character.

TedInATL on December 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Fire him. A coach knows better.

tinkerthinker on December 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM

coldwarrior on December 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Ditto!!! We bought a family pack of tickets to ODU basketball when a our local high school start was on the team. So much fun!!

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

nice *smh*

NY Conservative on December 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

as a jet fan one of the worst aspects of life is being a jet fan.

rob verdi on December 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Captain Kirock on December 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Your lip reading skills aren’t that good. That’s most definitely NOT what they’re saying…

/you know I kid…

john1schn on December 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM

As he rolled on the ground in pain, he quoted Nancy Kerrigan: “Whaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy?”

p40tiger on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

This is partly why I refuse to watch any sports show that doesn’t involve my state’s team. Football has become footbrawl.

Dark-Star on December 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM

This is another example of why I’m not very interested in professional football anymore. I love college football; love it. I love college B-ball also, just can’t stand watching these professional athletes behave the way they do these days, and now the coaches are doing this kind of crap.

While I’m ranting; paying these players hundred million dollar contracts has made it impossible for me to take my kids to a game. Now the NFL is getting infiltrated with so many Liberal whiny weenies, it just makes me sick. To think of what they did to Limbaugh gets my goat also.

Keemo on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Whiskey or vodka?
;)

soundingboard on December 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I take the 5th.

JetBoy on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

With the way things have been going for your boys you’re going to need more than a 5th.

darwin-t on December 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Zetterson on December 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The Redskin fans did the same thing when the Pats creamed them 52-7 back in 2007.

Yet no mention of the fact that the…

The Redskins’ 72 points against the New York Giants on November 27, 1966, is the most points ever scored by an NFL team in a regular season game and the 72 to 41 score amounted to 113 points and the highest scoring game ever in NFL history.

F15Mech on December 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Both his feet were on the ground in the green part of the field beyond the white line. Why was the player running so far off the field that he came in contact with a coach on the sideline in an area that the coach was entitled to stand?

The coach was standing his ground when the polite thing to do would be to step aside, but he was where he was suppose to be. He didn’t need to be polite. He had the right to stand his ground. A player should not expect to run through the other team’s territory and everyone is just going to part like the red sea.

I say he has nothing to be ashamed of.

tommylotto on December 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

F15Mech on December 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM

And today I’m sure it’s Bear’s fans.

TheBigOldDog on December 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

as a jet fan one of the worst aspects of life is being a jet fan.

rob verdi on December 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I used to say the same thing as a Pats fan, Heck during the 70′s and 80′s most of NE were Pittsburgh fans rather then Patriot fans. (There was no concept of Patriots-nation back then).

To see the Pats as hated today (because they just spanked your team) pleases me to no end.

F15Mech on December 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Hah – another example of how the NFL is so behind the CFL:

Here’s the scene: Grey Cup Game, Varsity Stadium, Toronto, Nov. 30, 1957. Ray “Bibbles” Bawel, a Hamilton Ticat defensive back, has just picked off his second pass of the game and is headed down the sidelines with a clear path to the end zone. David Humphrey, a spectator standing on the sidelines near the Winnipeg Blue Bomber bench, sticks his foot out and trips Bawel, preventing the touchdown, though the Ticats won the game easily, 32-7.

Humphrey was then a Toronto lawyer and became a judge in the Ontario court, general division.

CanuckInPA on December 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM

And today I’m sure it’s Bear’s fans.

TheBigOldDog on December 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

One of the best reviews of a Pats vs X game came from a Titans fan

F15Mech on December 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM

As a DolFan for decades, nothing pleases me more than beating the Jets by one point. Only one. So they can freaking which and moan all off season. 3 out of four fellas. We own your asses and you know it. In addition, your punk staff has to try and hurt one of our players just to try and free up one of your slow moving PR’s.

As to the out of bounds rule, on Punts you can go out of bounds within reason when forced, but you must re-establish being in bounds for 5 yards prior to making a play. He was forced out which makes it legal.

JP1986UM on December 14, 2010 at 4:57 AM

“I wasn’t thinking…that this would be caught on camera and my career would be ruined.” Or it should have been ruined.

scalleywag on December 14, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I say he has nothing to be ashamed of.

tommylotto on December 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Either sarcasm, or the most stupid post of the year…btw, look again and see him move his leg, and listen again to say how he did it purposely.
You are making excuses for someone who admitted to the crime…
I hope your post was sarcastic, hate to think anyone is as stupid as that posts suggests.

right2bright on December 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM