posted at 8:09 pm on December 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m not paraphrasing; watch to the end and you’ll see that he really does go there. All for this?

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews gladly played the GOP 2012 guessing game at Thursday’s Q&A Cafe at the Georgetown Ritz-Carlton, suggesting two popular Republicans might want to trim their waistlines before jumping into the presidential race.

“Chris Christie is moon over New Jersey, he should not wear white shirts, I tell you that,” Matthews said. “I saw him the other day and I was amazed by it, he must be 300 plus, and that’s something he’s just gotta deal with because you’re not going to say, ‘I’m going to cut the budget,’ well, how about starting with supper?”

That’s the sort of received wisdom that’s popular with political analysts but I wonder how true it is anymore. The cookie-cutter image of the tall, fit, white, male president has been shattered, not just because of Obama but because his chief rivals for the presidency in both parties are women. If the public’s ready to accept a black president and a woman president, I think they’re ready for a husky one — especially when he has a reputation for trimming budgetary, er, fat.

I’m not sure how I feel about the “racism with a scale” concept, though. But the crack about Matthews using hair dye? Magnifique.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s a fact that Christie is going to have to lose weight if he wants to be President so there’s not much point in getting offended.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Mr. Cavuto — Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

cthulhu on December 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Sound advice. The last fatso President we had was Taft, and that was a loooong time ago.

Dark-Star on December 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Woooo! You go Neal!

katy the mean old lady on December 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Great monologue Neil.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Mr. Matthews is probably all for the government getting involved in individual nutrition.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

And it is a fact that we will never have a black president. And it is a fact that we love freedom too much to ever let socialism threaten us.

Take your facts and cram them up your blowhole, moron.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Sweet Neil Ate Matthew’s Lunch LOL!

Dr Evil on December 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Good on ya, Neil.

princetrumpet on December 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Speaking as a dudesmoocher, Chris Matthew’s grotesque hair is more physically off-putting than Chris Christie’s weight.

But I can’t pretend that I’m not biased against tingly-legged girlie-men.

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM

But how does Christie compare to W.H. Taft? Obviously fat men can get elected president. Plus Taft lost weight only after his presidency.

Oh Oh! Imagine all the awesome “oval” office jokes with a fat occupant!

Goldenavatar on December 13, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Love it. Good job Cavuto for hitting back and doing so with class!

conservative pilgrim on December 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I’d also rather watch my President chow down on a double triple-baconator with quadra-fries than some clown in mom-jeans riding a girl’s bicycle.

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Cavuto ROCKS.

John the Libertarian on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Nice!

KSgop on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Goldenavatar on December 13, 2010 at 8:22 PM

You do have to remember that Taft was endorsed by Roosevelt, who the public liked so much, he could have endorsed a housecat for POTUS.

Without that he would have had quite an uphill battle.

Dark-Star on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I dunno. There are multiple people here at Hot Air who are really very obsessed with people’s weight. I doubt they could bring themselves to vote for Christie.

malclave on December 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I would take a fat, competent person over a skinny, incompetent Obama any day.

cntrlfrk on December 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Chrissy never had a problem when Ted Kennedy was up to 300 lbs. He worked for Tip O’Neill who was at least as large as Gov. Christie.

lonestar1 on December 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM

What kind of girlie-man makes catty remarks about another guy’s weight and offers advice about wardrobe colors?

Obviously the kind who gets tingly thinking about such things.

Drained Brain on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Oh really – what facts are these?

I think people have gotten to the point that they don’t care about the package anymore. The empty suit who can read a teleprompter pretty much ensured that.

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

When a “guest” on Hardball said today that the this new “No Labels” group of representatives are “neither left nor right, just moving the country forward”, Matthews said “that sounds like MSNBC”.

Rovin on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

lonestar1 on December 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Facts schmacts. Besides, liberals have selective memories don’t cha know.

conservative pilgrim on December 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM

He’s probably going to lose the weight if he runs so I don’t see much point in getting offended. Of course it’s within the realm of possibity to have an overweight President but it would look very bad. He’s meant to be the leader of the free world, not the Ghost of Christmas Present! I suppose the ‘liberty’ of being an unkempt slob is pretty important to the liberaltarian contingent of HA.

Take your facts and cram them up your blowhole, moron.

Eloquent.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM

People who make comments about other people’s weight usually have low self esteem themselves.

Good for Cavuto to stand up for Christie.

texasconserv on December 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

At least Christie doesn’t look like he’s been marinating in Crown Royal for the last forty years.

RadClown on December 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I forgot something.

Chris Christie has pointed out numerous times, time and time-again, that he has no interest in pursuing national office — and refuses to speculate that he might change his mind. How much clearer can a person make it?

Yeah, all you pro-Christie fanatics, I’m directing that at you guys, too.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I love Neil, I really do. Good on him.

If Christie wants to lose weight, that his decision. It doesn’t appear that his belly fat has affected his mind, and really, his mind is what’s important, IMO.

Anna on December 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I’m sure if we criticized Hillary’s cankles…

… Chrissy would be worked up into a lather.

Seven Percent Solution on December 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM

While i love a good liberal beat down as much as the next guy Matthews is right. A fat guy doesn’t stand a chance of being elected President.

Rocks on December 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I remember a bit of a chunky president

Capitalist Infidel on December 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I disagree. I think it would matter to a lot of people.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I disagree. I think it would matter to a lot of people.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Then I place you in the same league as Pauline “I don’t know how he got elected” Kael. Enjoy the company.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Matthews should be departing for Walmart shortly to pick out a new ass. Cavuto just ripped his to shreds.

BruthaMan on December 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

AWESOME PWNGE MOTHER OF ALL SMACKDOWNS!

ProudPalinFan on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

You could direct that at Allahpundit since the post discusses Christie’s presidential prospects. Christie’s only been governor a short while, he could change his mind. It’s all just speculation I suppose.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Cavuto to Chris Matthews: Cram your remarks about Chris Christie’s weight up your tingly you-know-what…….
=========================================================
and…..when you find Grayson way up there……

giv’em the same message….(sarc).

canopfor on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

BruthaMan on December 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

THREAD WINNER!

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

@aengus and his multiple posts. Just shut up, please.

AcronisF on December 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I disagree. I think it would matter to a lot of people.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM

After GWB I might have agreed with you but after Obama – I think people will run so far away from the perfectly “packaged” candidate to anybody who is just like one of them. Many people would see Christie as one of them.

I think the tea party and the rise of the everyday American has changed politics as we know it. Do I think he’ll run – eh I don’t know. If he runs do I think he can win – oh heck yeah.

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Neil is a treasure, a top business analyst and one fine human being.

petefrt on December 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

You know who’s not speculating?

Chris Christie.

And this post isn’t really about his presidential prospects. It’s about Chris Matthews discussing Christie’s NON-EXISTENT presidential ambitions. “I have no interest in running for national office, now or in the foreseeable future” is not the way politicians talk when they want to leave themselves an opening.

And don’t even get me started on AP. I wouldn’t be the first to point out what a traffic whore he is.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Lol. Whatever you say.

If Christie does announce perhaps he could begin his first campaign speech by breaking down in tears and then round it off by devouring a monster sub.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Geez, talk about off topic.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

At lease he’s consistent…

I mean, how many times has Matthews complained about Obama smoking while discussing healthcare?

HarryStar on December 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I remember a bit of a chunky president

Capitalist Infidel on December 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

There’s big difference between chunky and FAT.

Rocks on December 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I remember a bit of a chunky president

Capitalist Infidel on December 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Dear gawd, can’t we get a warning. My eyes.

txag92 on December 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Nice!

KSgop on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

nuff said

cmsinaz on December 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

And if he fades quietly back into private life after his governorship, there are going to be a lot of people eating large amounts of crow — mainly on the right, I might add.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM

RadClown @ 8:31

ZING !!!

teacherman on December 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Chrissy could stand to push himself away from the dinner table as well.

GarandFan on December 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Neil may be slightly overweight, but he’s sexy. And more of a man than the girls over at MSNBC. Get ‘em Neil.

xax on December 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Perhaps AP was hurt by Chrissy’s words.

Is AP Christie-sized?!

Every day, we are a step closer to AP’s true identity.

blatantblue on December 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

That Cavuto is a man, ain’t he? About time someone called out that pompous and ignorant blowhard Matthews for his rudeness, which is so often on display.

novaculus on December 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

RadClown on December 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

No sooner did I read that than did a picture of shirtless Teddy Kennedy pop into my mind. I hope to God you didn’t do that on purpose.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

“Slightly overweight, very pissed”

QOTD

JeffWeimer on December 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Geez, talk about off topic.

It’s actually not off topic since the subject is about physical appearance and voters’ reaction to a [potential] candidate’s physical appearance. But uh, y’know, feel free to get all queasy about it, tough guy. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Every day, we are a step closer to AP’s true identity.

blatantblue on December 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

It all makes sense.

The MMac, bacon, this.

blatantblue on December 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

@aengus and his multiple posts. Just shut up, please.

AcronisF on December 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Eh, I’ll stop making fun of Christie’s weight if that’s annoying you but I don’t feel like shutting off yet.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I didn’t follow the appearance connection to President Bush.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

tough guy. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM

What does that mean? Tough guy?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I haven’t seen you exactly making fun of Christie on this thread, but the old “a fat man can never be president” saw wouldn’t be so tired if we hadn’t already had several fat presidents.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Hmm depends who it is. Nixon won he second Presidential race after he agreed to heavily market himself, use PR people etc.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM

What does that mean? Tough guy?

Setting aside their politics, who would you rather have a beer with: Chris Christie or Chris Mattews?

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Did I miss the part where Chris Matthews was a paragon of fitness?

msmveritas on December 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM

And won re-election in a landslide on the heals of creating the EPA, OSHA, and a communist-western detente policy that ended up being disastrous. Richard Nixon would have been every liberals wet dream if not for that pesky prosecution of Alger Hiss.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM

By Christina Wilkie – 06/28/10 05:47 PM ET

Asked earlier this year about a possible challenge to President Barack Obama in 2012, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) told reporters, “If you see me losing 40 pounds, that means I’m either running or have cancer.”

And while he may not have lost that much weight quite yet, the tanned and trimmer Barbour was looking good during a visit to Washington last week.

One potential contender thinks it might be an electability factor.

GnuBreed on December 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Gophergirl, I agree with you that most Americans wouldn’t give a second thought about his (Christies) weight, but what did you mean about President Bush?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Did I miss the part where Chris Matthews was a paragon of fitness?

msmveritas on December 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Naw, you missed the part where neither Matthews nor Christie are running for public office at all — probably ever.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I think she meant that Bush was a smartly packaged candidate who turned out to not be what we had hoped. Am I right, GG?

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM

That’s not what I mean. Why did you call me, tough guy?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM

But it’s been Conventional Wisdom (which is conventional, but not always wise) since the advent of TV that voters won’t vote for one.

How true is it? I don’t know. What I am sure of is that people are wanting competence to follow what we have now. Would that competence shop at a “Big and Tall” store? Sure.

JeffWeimer on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

HAH!

Philly on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

It’s a fact? What do you base that on? Like, what,.. only skinny fat hating people vote? Hey, America is full of obese people, right? Why wouldn’t they all love a fat President? You don’t think he’d get the fat vote? Honestly, if we could elect a guy named Barrack Hussein Obama 8 years after 9/11, America will elect anybody.

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Oh, I got it. If that’s what you meant Gophergirl, you don’t need to respond.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

That’s not what I mean. Why did you call me, tough guy?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I know that isn’t what you mean, but that’s wasn’t the question.

I think the real question is why do you want to get all off topic about it. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

JeffWeimer on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

You’d just have a hard time convincing me that we’ve had a black president, there may be at least one serious female contender in 2012, Republican women made an excellent overall showing in the last congressional election cycle, and yet those vaunted “independents” are going to be hung up on someone’s weight? Convincing me of that is a long row to hoe.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Well Taft was a sort of portly old gentleman–well into middle age. That’s not the same as Christie who is in the prime of his life.

Yep. The reason the Birchers thought Eisenhower was a Commie was because he wouldn’t go after the Communist moles he inherited from the Truman administration. So Nixon was exceptional in that way.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Didn’t Mathews once work for Tip O’Neil? Who didn’t exactly strike an Adonis profile.

I don’t remember Mathews making any comments about old Tip.

SlaveDog on December 13, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Yeah, couldn’t you just imagine Michelle Obama standing behind Chris Christie as he’s getting sworn in. So much for that anti-obesity campaign Michelle. America has spoken!

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 8:57 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Maybe 15 years ago I would have agreed. I still think it’s a moot point on account of Christie’s unqualified aversion to federal office, but in any event, times are a-changing. I think we’re looking for different qualities in our government officials than we used to.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 8:59 PM

But nobody aspires to be overweight.

Multiculturalism rules the land so no wonder.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Of course I would prefer Christie over Obama or any Democrat.

But do I think that non-political /cultural factors are important for some people.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

“Hawk,

I think the real question is why do you want to get all off topic about it. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Really, the topic of the thread was about a liberal pundit trying to detract from the political capabilities of a Republican Governor by making fun of his weight and your comment was about how you weren’t sexually attracted to said heterosexual pundit and that’s relevant?

And I’m off topic?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Typically, we refer to those people as liberals and they’re not voting for Christie anyway. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Chris Matthews is a fathead.

hepcat on December 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM

But nobody aspires to be overweight.
aengus on December 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Tell that to a linebacker.

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

That’s true in every election all the time. The question is, how many? I would daresay that in 2008, non-political/cultural factors rather over-rode the people’s ability to think clearly. Backlash time?

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I do not think “fact” means what you think it means.

Y-not on December 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I didn’t follow the appearance connection to President Bush.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sorry – I guess I didn’t explain myself very well. I think people still wanted the “package” after GWB. After all GWB was fit, young, etc. The problem is with all of the missteps of his presidency – people fell for all package and no substance this time around.

I don’t think appearance will make one bit of difference in 2012. People are going for all character.

Hope that makes more sense. I loved GWB for lots of things so it definitely wasn’t a knock on him.

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Obviously the kind who gets tingly thinking about such things.

Drained Brain on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Answer: A metrosexual. Barf

ProudPalinFan on December 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Was The Fridge overweight? Should he have eaten more salads?

JellyToast on December 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I’ll vote for the fat guy, no prob, so long as he turns this commie show around.

Alden Pyle on December 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM

A metrosexual. Barf

ProudPalinFan on December 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Either that, or a married man living on the down-low.

gryphon202 on December 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I loved GWB for lots of things so it definitely wasn’t a knock on him.

gophergirl on December 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM

No, I got ya and I’m well past defending every step he took. I still love him as CinC. Really, best in my whole career, but I just didn’t follow the connection. It’s actually a fair comparison though. I know a lot of real Conservatives who considered an alternative to him in 04. I’m still glad for the way it turned out, minus the TARP and spending.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM

JellyToast,

Pedantry will only get you so far.

Next you’ll be telling us that you can’t be an anti-semite if you don’t hate Arbs because Arab are semites.

aengus on December 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

What did you call me “tough guy” for? What did that mean? I answer any question, any poster asks me, directly. So, what does “tough guy” mean?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Actually, I didn’t really say anything about sexual attraction; catty remarks about physical revulsion doesn’t automatically equate to sexual solicitation …unless you want them to, I guess.

But if you want to take a stand on this, I’ve got another ~45 minutes to oblige you. =]

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Jeddite on December 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Just answer the question.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM

More pictures of the murdering fat slob Kennedy: Ted Kennedy’s Top Drunk Moments

Looks much heavier than Christie, imho. Look at the orange pylon picture.

slickwillie2001 on December 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM