Unemployment Benefits Being Held Hostage by Dems

posted at 5:15 pm on December 11, 2010 by SueZeeQ

You would never know, would you?  In all of the fury and progressive passion to soak the rich, no one is chattering about the expiration of unemployment benefits–except for the unemployed.  With rising gas and food prices and the holidays quickly approaching, the Democrats zeal for taxing the rich has eclipsed the need to stimulate the economy and create jobs with unemployment compensation.  As Pelosi states, it is “cruel” not to extend the benefits and typically the Republicans are blamed for this cruelty.  But, now it is the Democrats holding up the unemployment benefit extension.  And no one seems to even notice.

The agreement reached by the White House and GOP called for an extension of unemployment benefits, which now seems to be DOA according to House Dems.

The fact that the Democrats are blocking the tax cut deal between the White House and GOP–which most Americans support noted by Ed–puts out the question of are the Democrats capable of governing according to the will of the American people and in a bipartisan manner.  Clearly, the Democrats are squandering this opportunity based on their Keynesian and progressive taxation ideology as exemplified here by Rep. Barney Frank.

The baseless notion that the wealthy do not pay their fair share has been argued, but facts are facts, and the rich do pay the most taxes already:

In 2006, the latest available year from CBO, the top 20 percent of income earners paid 86.3 percent of all federal income taxes, an all-time high.  This is an increase of over 6 percent from 2000, when the top 20 percent paid 81.2 percent. During the same period, the bottom four quintiles all saw their share of the federal income tax burden fall sharply:

• The bottom 20 percent of income earners’ share of federal income taxes fell from -1.6 percent in 2000 to -2.8 percent in 2006;
  • The next 20 percent’s share declined from 1.1 percent to -0.8 percent;
  • The middle quintile’s share dropped from 5.7 percent to 4.4 percent; and
  • The fourth quintile’s share decreased from 13.5 percent to 12.9 percent.

Each of these four quintiles’ shares was an all-time low.

This class warfare the Democrats perpetuate is floated under false pretenses and plays out bitterly in society and pits Americans against one another.  Moreover, the Democrats apparently have no problem using the unemployed as leverage in their deal, because according to Senator Chuck Grassley, he concedes that a deal could have been passed for a 3-month extension of unemployment benefits without the tax deal.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Cell phone chick again!

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM

It is not the role of federal government to send people a check for sitting on the couch. If a state wants to pay its people for being idle, fine, but it is outside the scope of the constitutional authority of the federal government.

I say that all federal unemployment compensation should be eliminated. That is a role the state governments are supposed to play.

crosspatch on December 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Economic health and the plight of the unemployed are the Dem’s highest priorities, except when they’re not.

obladioblada on December 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Cell phone chick again!
OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I wonder if she has found a job?

peterargus on December 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Yeah well, democrats really don’t care about the middle class, the unemployed, or anyone else … everything is a means to an end.

Taxing the “evil rich” will ensure high unemployment and keep people dependent on government.

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Typical leftist, liberal tactic to scheme, scam, scold, wheedle as much out of any situation as they possibly can.

Skandia Recluse on December 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM

This is the biggest load of revisionist shite I’ve ever read here, and that’s saying something. Keep telling yourselves you give a tinker’s damn about all those people you spend most of the week accusing of eating bonbons and watching Oprah. Ugh. I think I’ll go throw up now.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

sitting on the couch

See?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

That’s right … ignore the point of the piece. The democrats couldn’t care less about anyone. They never have.

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Believe me, I just donned my hazmat suit to see the temperature over at DU. The unemployed are NOT happy. But, the typical elite liberals could care less.

sybilll on December 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

But, now it is the Democrats holding up the unemployment benefit extension. And no one seems to even notice.

They aren’t holding it up, they’ve killed it altogether. They’ve larded it up with so much corrupt pork that there’s no way Republican’s can support it now.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Right, because you’re just itching to help all those bonbon-eating Oprah viewers.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

darwin

Unlike you and the Visigoths of the right, I suppose.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Ya think?!?!

winston on December 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Democrats are not fit to slop hogs let alone govern. They all must be driven out of government at the earliest possible time.

rplat on December 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

The point is to get the government off the back of business, and to put some certainty out there so people won’t need unemployment insurance. Do you ever think? Or do you always just react reflexively with wildly inaccurate though typically liberal rantings?

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Unemployment Benefits Being Held Hostage by Dems

The Democrats smothered their hostage with corruption.

FloatingRock on December 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Unlike you and the Visigoths of the right, I suppose.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM

If you care so much why are you here? Shouldn’t you be volunteering somewhere? You should have sold your computer by now and donated the money you made to help someone.

But no … you want government to do it for you. Steal money and give it to others then prance around like a drunk rooster babbling “See! I care! I care! I support massive government programs! I care!!!!!”

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Give me a break.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

sitting on the couch

See?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Got a neighbor who has been collecting Unemployment for like forever and she thinks she deserves more. She rolls outta’ bed in time for Young and Restless and eats more take ‘n bake pizzas than anyone out there. Told me she’s gained forty lbs. since she lost her job, and she isn’t looking for work. Of course, she was an 0bama voter, in the meantime, I took a job making 90k less than my usual salary, but it is honest money, and that is very satisfactory.

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

darwin

Why aren’t you out starting that business that will end unemployment for ever?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

One neighbor, eh? Convincing argument.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The Democratic attitude appears to be SCREW THEM! We lost 63 seats!

GarandFan on December 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Why aren’t you out starting that business that will end unemployment for ever?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Because I have no idea what my tax rates will be and won’t hire someone just to turn around and fire them.

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

If we were really patriotic …….we would ask our bosses to fire us all so we can help to stimulate the economy.

And that means of course if EVIL BUSINESSES would layoff 90% of their employees wow THAT would be awesome!!!!!!!

PappyD61 on December 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

One neighbor, eh? Convincing argument.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Just one I happen to personally know. There are lot’s more like her out there.

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Give me a break.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

You’re just ignorant and and poorly educated. I really can’t blame you, but now that I’ve told you what your problem is I expect you to do the responsible thing and educate yourself properly.

darwin on December 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Try not to be such a sanctimonious a**hole.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

This class warfare the Democrats perpetuate is floated under false pretenses and plays out bitterly in society and pits Americans against one another.

And they wouldn’t have a chance in h@#l of getting away with their constant lies if it weren’t for the cover given them by the corrupt leftist MFM.

A good example is the constant reference to the “tax cuts for the rich” meme repeated so often that even people right of center are falling in to the trap of repeating it.

There was an across the board tax cut a decade or so ago,
no special break for the wealthy. And yet the screamers are protesting this deal as a tax cut for the rich when the rates would stay the same for everyone.

They do the same thing on illegal immigration, conveniently leaving the word illegal out and making no distinction between unlawful border crossers and legal immigrants.

The Big Lie is alive and well in the democrat party and their enablers and propaganda arm: the legacy media.

ontherocks on December 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

The chant goes up across the USA……

Lay us off!!!

Help the e-conom-eee and Lay us off!!

PappyD61 on December 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Well, there is the statistic that 33% of people find a job within 30 days of their unemployment checks ending.

A friend of mine was laid off. Was collecting unemployment. The first time the Republicans held up the extensions, his checks stopped, he went right to work within a week. In many cases unemployment is enabling people to remain unemployed. It also allows people to tolerate illegals here holding the jobs they should have.

crosspatch on December 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Try not to be such a sanctimonious a**hole.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

“Hey kettle,” (said the pot,) “try not to be so black!”

massrighty on December 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

A friend of mine was laid off . . .

More compelling evidence from the simpletons to my right.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I’d take a job at McDonald’s before I’d collect welfare-in-disguise.

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Try not to be such a sanctimonious a**hole.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

wow… it’s like you don’t even read your own posts. You’ve got quite the chip today. Face it. Tax hikes on the rich are more important than sainted welfare unemployment check are to the dems in power. I’d think you’d be pissed at dems now.

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

33% of people find a job within 30 days of their unemployment checks ending

Hmmmm. Interesting. Beck? Limbaugh? Hannity? Ingraham?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I’d take a job at McDonald’s before I’d collect welfare-in-disguise.

OmahaConservative

What do you want? A medal?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Darwin,
Just ignore the Fin. More mindless antagonism with no real interest in a useful debate.
Fin,
Let go of the hate.

teacherman on December 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Try not to be such a sanctimonious a**hole.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

More compelling evidence from the simpletons to my right.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

libs seem to lack a certain gene that makes them realize when they are being utter hypocrites and making fools of themselves.

Kinda the point SusanAnne Hiller made above.

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM

What do you want? A medal?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

My GOD someone sounds bitter today. It does suck to be a “progressive” these days I guess.

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM

More mindless antagonism with no real interest in a useful debate.
Fin,

Useful debate? “I’ve got this friend, see….” It’s like talking to children who think that everything in the world is exactly the way they see it at that moment. I have a friend who’s been unemployed over a year–can’t even get a fast food job. Does his experience cancel out your friends? Whose experience is the most representative, ya think?

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

There is something else that is missed…

Even if unemployment benefits extensions were signed today, it would still take a week or so to go through the various bureaucracies to reach the states…

… and then applications for extensions would have to be mailed out,

then those applications would have to be mailed back…

… and if granted, the checks would be mailed out within ten days of approval by some state bureaucrat during the holiday season.

The money won’t be seen until January, long after Christmas is over…

THOSE are the actual facts that the Democrats don’t want to get out!

Seven Percent Solution on December 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Ampersand

No, I find this holier-than-thou “well,

I’d

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM

No, I find this holier-than-thou “well, I’d get a job at McDonalds before I’d take an unemployment check” a bit–how should I put?–self righteous.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Try not to be such a sanctimonious a**hole.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Speaking of sanctimonious a$$holes. Do you like what you see in the mirror?

chemman on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

chemman

Oooh, good one, smarty pants.

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I bet you get soooo pissed when democrats trot up some anecdotal to support their cause. I bet you got very angry when Obama used Leslie Macko to sell more unemployment right?

But women who get fired after being found guilty of prescription drug fraud deserve their gubment cheese right!!!!

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I run a small non-profit mainly to help D.V. victims. We do administer grants for helping the poor also. The usual daily call this time of the year is “it’s time to get my yearly fill-up of propane”. These people know how to milk the system for all it is worth. So when I call BS for a lot of this I actually have lots of evidence to support it.

chemman on December 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

How’s fcuk off, sugar-britches troll, instead then, sweetie?

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM

FloatingRock on December 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I wish what you say were true alas the Repubs are showing their normal cluelessness and being rolled by a limp dick president and a bunch of lyin Rats!
Even one of the New Ones touts the compromise bill:

and my DSenate Geezer Grassley R IA is on the gravy train also last I looked. The Demrats are just filling the coffers of their lazy ass base while pretending to be against so the idiot repubs will pass another stimulus bill stealing from the taxpayer and giving to the tax takers.

Soon the tax takers will out number the payers and the march to socialism will be complete aiuded and abetted by the Vaunted Republican Party!

We need fewer Repubs and Dems, far fewer Progressives of each stripe and more Conservatives else we the producers become bound by the chains of slavery to work for the Endless Vacationers and Party Elites!

Kill the bill!
This congress is Illegitimate! It has been soundly rejected by the American people and should pass NO BILL!

The new congress should pass new bills, clean ones without the bribes, kickbacks, payoffs and political power building goodies.
One Bill One subject stand alone only
!

dhunter on December 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I hear ya. Libs often confuse self-reliant with self-righteous.

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I’ve collected state unemployment on a very limited basis in both CA & NE, but took the very first job I was offered in both states, even though I still qualified under both state’s laws. Never got an extension. Once I was working again, I sought and found better jobs. As I am currently doing.

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM

All the flap over this bill has a lot of advantages and will probably result in a much better overall outcome. First, it keeps anything else from being done before the Christmas recess. Second, it will allow the republicans to write their own bill in January. Their bill will probably make the current tax rates perminent, extend unemployment for a much shorter time and eliminate the “pork” being placed in this one.

duff65 on December 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Hey Grow Fins. I have a question.

If a person is getting $400 a week from unemployment welfare and they’re offered a job making $350 a week what should they do?

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM

duff65 on December 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I hope your right, but I think there will be enough whimpy, pantywaste, Progressive Repubs to reach across the isle and join a bunch of losers in securing the second greatest ripoff of the American taxpayer of this now illegitimate congress and President!

dhunter on December 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Let me try that I have experience in dealing with these never pay for anything with their own money parasites!

They should demand $450.00 in unemployment welfare for an unlimited time and a taxpayers Christmas time check of $250.00 from the very Rats that drove this economy into the ditch and maybe even an extension of their nonpayment of the mortgage they can’t afford because they bought something they shouldn’t have!

B+ ?

dhunter on December 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Let’s not forget that if the Congressional democrats get their way the unemployed will get more welfare and less jobs. Under the republican plan the unemployed will get more welfare AND more jobs.

At least according to Obama.

but the left keeps telling us that the right just doesn’t care about the unemployed. FACTS BE DAMNED!!!11!

Ampersand on December 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

dhunter on December 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I admit that the outcome is chancy but passing this thing now would be worse. If the new house does their job and passes a decent bill the senate and president would probably go along (because of those poor unemployed).

duff65 on December 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Why work? Head of Household 0f 4 on Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than Family Making $60,000 a Year

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Ass.

OmahaConservative on December 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

slickwillie2001 on December 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM

This doesn’t include the multitude of discounted and unpaid bills these grifters leave in their wake. They come to small businesses, run up bills and ask for and receive discounted services because they are so tragically impoverished that they can barely afford their cell phones, cigarettes, alcohol, false nails and tattoos!

There is a whole segment of society living as parasites on the backs of those of us whop work!

Now that alcoholism and obesity are classified as diseases many are on social security disability because of their lifestyle choices.
the only good thing about it is the parasites tend to e3xpire sooner thus aren’t a drain on society for too long. Natures Death Panels!

dhunter on December 11, 2010 at 7:51 PM

What happened to the Tea Party movement? This new tax extension bill is so full of pork that even some of the Dems are getting sick. Where the hell are the fiscally conservative Repubs? This thing has subsidies for f**king windmills and ethanol production. These are two of the biggest waste of our money you can think of. These give aways make the cornhusker kickback and the Lousiana purchase look conservative. Obama won this battle hands down.

inspectorudy on December 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

FINs you are nuts–but you know that already. Sheesh what a whack job.

CWforFreedom on December 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Wow you just destroyed the argument made in that link. You are awesome. /

Seek help.

CWforFreedom on December 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM

dhunter has it right: We need to kill this bill; it is inconsistent with all of the work We The People did to deliver a message of fiscal restraint.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Apparently it’s not enough for the dems to hold their foot on the throats of lending institutions and businesses.

Stay classy, democrats.

cntrlfrk on December 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM

bonbon-eating Oprah viewers.
Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Grow Fins,

bonbon-eating Oprah viewers

aside, why didn’t the Dem’s, with complete, absolute control of both houses deal with this sometime before the midterms?

Did they not have a bill ready to go?

If not, why not?

The Repubs did have a bill ready to go, they wanted a vote on it and the Dems shut them down.

I can only come up with a couple of reasons why the Dem’s did this.

Gross incompetency or they don’t give a dang about the Unemployed?

A two year extension of the current tax rate adds stability to the markets, it gives those on the sidelines a sense that the Nutty Uncles and Aunts are once again down in the basement. And the Weak King can be put in check.

The plan buys time for sanity.

Why are the Dem’s against this?

DSchoen on December 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM

OmahaConservative

___hole

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I find it very interesting that GROW FINS responded to Omaha and not to DSchoen…… hmmmm wonder why? /

CWforFreedom on December 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM

The GOP needs to walk away from this lard monster. The original deal, without the (what is it 33?) additional weeks (13 weeks as I recollect) was ok, but this 990 billion porker is not.

Kill it GOP. Come to your senses.

dogsoldier on December 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I understand you don’t get what a real adult feels. Finish High school and then get back to us.

Noelie on December 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM

OmahaConservative

___hole

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM

See my above post. You clearly don’t have the maturity to handle this kind of forum. Grow up, pay for things on your own without mom and dad doing it for you, or big brother government and get back to us.

Noelie on December 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow Fins on December 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Did you read the link? Again, your maturity level seems to be lacking. Come back when you can manage yourself.

Noelie on December 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Sorry I missed the whole Grow Fins saga last night… Too busy toasting the NAVY VICTORY with a California ‘champagne’ with my family!!

I guess the trolls are back…

Khun Joe on December 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Grow fins seems to be a woman who is pissed she can’t get on one of those Oprah give a way shows.

aikidoka on December 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM

slickwillie2001 on December 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM

From the comments at the site the chart isn’t perfect but it reminds me of what my fiance is going through. She has tried to work but her health has messed that up every time so she is applying for disability which will take 2-3 years, if she gets it. Meanwhile, someone she knows was having her schooling paid for and who knows what else by various govt. programs no doubt due to the fact that she has kids and other people tossing her money for who knows what and also living in the house paid for by govt. money. Oh, this woman also neglected her children and allowed serious abuse to the point all three have been taken away and at least two of the kids are needing serious therapy to recover. It’s only been recent that she has started to lose some of these benefits. And apparently someone has photos of her using drugs at a party.

aikidoka on December 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I am shocked, simply SHOCKED, by those attacking Grow Fins [Grow Fins = DE-evolution?] for her supporting the lock step progressive’s effort to starve these once working Americans. Forget that she is going against the INTEREM POTUS, and forget that she is against bi-partisianship. She has been given the right to spread her Communist styled 0bamaGanda here and that is all that counts!

Remember her commentary here when the Republicans take control of the House. No one likes being force fed their own words. ;o)

DannoJyd on December 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM