Will Senator Mark Kirk Vote for the DREAM Act?

posted at 11:35 am on December 9, 2010 by SueZeeQ

Newly sworn in Senator Mark Kirk (R-Il) will face his first controversial vote as the Senator from Illinois as Harry Reid will keep his campaign promise and bring the DREAM Act to a vote.  The House voted and passed the DREAM Act on Wednesday night and Allah notes the defectors.

It’s no secret that Kirk is known to be a liberal, but his non-specifics on immigration are troubling.  Towards the end of the campaign, I contacted Kirk’s headquarters and spoke with his media liaison twice and asked about Kirk’s position on the DREAM Act and cap and trade.  The contact would not answer my questions and promised to send an email explaining Kirk’s positions on both of these issues.  I’m still waiting.

Meanwhile, Kirk’s campaign site has this nugget:

I believe that immigration reforms cannot succeed without border security first.  Given the 20,000 Mexican citizens already killed in cartel-related violence, I understand the decision made by the people of Arizona.

I support the completion of the wall, doubling the number of border police and increased surveillance technology on our borders.  One state cannot solve this problem alone and that is why we need leaders in Washington that will back an effective federal policy to control our border.

But, border security is not immigration reform and he does support a federal policy for immigration reform, but is continually void of any specifics.  Kirk also ”understands” the Arizona law as do most.  But, I’d like to know if he agrees with it?

I understand that this is Illinois, and like Massachusetts, we have to settle for more liberal-leaning Republicans.  With that said, it’s key for these politicians’ constituents to know how to cut through the campaign double-speak or political sham-wow as so many career politicians are masters of the verbal shell game.  It’s especially troubling that Kirk did vote for cap and trade in the House, but then flipped to a no vote if elected to the Senate.  Will he flip again, but this time on immigration?

Kirk is receiving lots of pressure from activist groups as well and his vote on the DREAM Act will be revealing as to which drummer he will march and what we can expect from him in the 112th Congress.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

I live in the So. Chi. ‘burbs(So. Cook County).
My neighborhood is quickly becoming the love-child of Kensington and Pilsen.
If Smirk votes for this we need to make the next 6 years-which will be his only term-the longest of his LIFE!!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I would sure hope that mark votes NO. Any news on how lsia is voting? Please senate, don’t pass this bill.
L

letget on December 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

This is starting to feel a lot like ObamaCare, only hardly anybody in the country is paying attention.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Call him. Scare him. It’s the only way. Otherwise don’t trust him farther than you can throw him.

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

L

letget on December 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Don’t hope or pray. Take action. It’s not too late. Call and get tough.

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I’ll hold fire until I see what he does.

HondaV65 on December 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Despite Kirk’s barbaric views on abortion-he supports it for any reason from conception until full term live birth INCLUDING partial birth abortion- and his support of the gun grabbers,a lot of us held our noses and voted for him anyway.
He’d better not screw us now.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Is this a reason why Senator Sestak came on Fox and said that the Dream Act would not be passed?. So that Kirk can come in and renew the ole switch a roo game-

hawkman on December 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

his non-specifics on immigration are troubling.

That sounds like a yes vote to me.

Eren on December 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Traitor………or Patriot?

PappyD61 on December 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

a lot of us held our noses and voted for him anyway. He’d better not screw us now. annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

“I know he beat his first two wives, and that one girlfriend is still missing, but I’m going to hold my nose and move in with him anyway. He’d better be nice to me.”

Akzed on December 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I want to call but because of my Asperger’s I tend to sound a lot less ‘together’-even if I rehearse what I’m going to say-on the phone than I do in person. It probably won’t help our cause if I have an AS moment with Smirk’s office.
I DO want to call.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

At least then we’ll know why the Dems didn’t bother stealing Illinois.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Dude. It’s Illinois. You expect an Illinois politician to do what’s right? Pffft.

Sugar Land on December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Crater the Capitol Hill Switchboard of the wavering…..

Yes vote is a vote to end the USA and embrace the North American •••••fully/forcefully integrated•••••Union.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM

nose and move in with him anyway. He’d better be nice to me.”

Akzed on December 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Pretty much.
Come on though-his opponent was a mob-banker who would most certainly vote for this.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The Senate just voted to table it 59-40.

db on December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM

db on December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM
I should know- but tabling is good, right?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

US bishops urge passage of DREAM Act

December 06, 2010
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is urging Congress to pass the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act.

This bothers me so much because it gives cover to the Catholic and Christian senators that would otherwise vote for abortion, euthanasia and every other liberal cause. Why can’t they see that harming our country does not improve the native countries of the illegal immigrants?

fourdeucer on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

fourdeucer on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I only join the Church in April and already I’ve learned to basically ignore anything that comes out of the pie-holes of the USCCB.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

All I can say is…I’m glad i didn’t vore for him. Urggggg

tencole on December 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Nothing controversial about it. His campaign website was a living lie, and this liberal douchebag will vote for the Dream Act. This is who he is…he’s a liberal and a liar.

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I should know- but tabling is good, right?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yes. This means they chose not to vote on it now.

db on December 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Kirk VOTE YES! These outdated Americans who claim to be American, are just undercover FAIR and NumbersUSA ZOMBIES screaming as loud as possible. America will be stronger for legitimizing good and contributory people who build up America.

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM

tencole on December 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM

So who were we supposed to vote for-Ron Paul/ Alex Jones endorsed Mike Labno?
Like hell.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

How about prerecording what you want to say? That gives you the ability to edit.

Just a suggestion.

GnuBreed on December 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

It’s been tabled according to Fox News and this banner on their website.

Breaking News: Senate Rejects DREAM Act Vote 59-40 as Dems Fail to Advance House Version

Sorry, no link yet.

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM

My grandfather was a LEGAL immigrant form Czarist Russia.
Go frack yourself you worthless troll.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I should know- but tabling is good, right?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

A little bit. It just means they’ll vote on the House version next week. Yep. Feeling a lot like ObamaCare.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

US bishops urge passage of DREAM Act

Not all of us.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Just a suggestion.

GnuBreed on December 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

That’s an excellent idea.
I appreciate the suggestion.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Doesn’t anyone bother to at least do a search on the page to see if they’re double posting anymore???

db on December 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

If this passes then we are done. Done. Tens of millions of new citizens, tens of millions waiting to come over under family sponsorship, and tens of millions behind them waiting to take their place as the new illegals.

Good times. The Founders are rolling right now, spinning in fact, in their graves.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Not all of us.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Ha haa, you are a good man!

fourdeucer on December 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

People who flout our immigration laws are NOT good for the nation. They have already shown themselves to have contempt for their unwilling host country. Allowing them to stay will only encourage more, as rewarded behavior is repeated behavior. These “dreamers” are attempting to pickpocket the American Dream rather than pusuing it through legitimate means.

No dream act!

clnurnberg on December 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Knucklehead and I live in neighboring communities.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM

It should be called the “scheme” act as it is a farce and a reward for illegal activity.

clnurnberg on December 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Not all of us.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I read that headline earlier and actually thought of you.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Understood. You might try an email. I prefer these in fact. I don’t do well on the phone either.

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

db on December 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Excuse me? Did someone die and leave you in charge now?

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I know if COD would have won she would be a solid vote NO for the dream act and Castle a solid vote yes. any questions?

unseen on December 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I read that headline earlier and actually thought of you.
The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Because of that I will grant you one dispensation of your choice.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM
On this issue I’m so livid that I don’t know what I might say-so an e-mail is good.
I won’t bother with Durbin-the Worthless. A long while back I called Durbin’s office over his support of Partial birth Abortion. I slowly spelled my name out to the staffer who answered the phone.
Not only did Durbin’s idiots spell my name wrong but they got my gender wrong as well.
I HATE ILLINOIS!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I called Senator Franken’s office; I don’t think we can count on his support.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Because of that I will grant you one dispensation of your choice.

Bishop on December 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I don’t know yet, but it will have something to do with Megyn Kelly.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

At least then we’ll know why the Dems didn’t bother stealing Illinois.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 11:50 AM

And speaking of Illinois, there was a classic bit of radio this morning on WLS, the big AM station in Chicago. The Don and Roma show was astonished to report that the new Crook County Assessor, Joe Berrios has hired his son and his sister, two days after being sworn into office.

During the campaign, his independent opponent Forrest Claypool, a liberal Democrat, repeatedly warned voters that Berrios is a crook who pads his payroll with family members.

Voila.

So as they report this abortion, the first call they take is from some shill in the County Democrap machine who yaks for 5 minutes defending the hires as “Shakman Exempt” and therefore just peachy with him. Not illegal. The next call? Todd(ler) Stroger, the recently fired County Board Chairman! Todd interrupted his busy schedule of sitting around in his underwear, watching Dick Van Dyke re-runs, and roundly endorsed Joe Berrios and his brazen corruption.

And who could ask for anything more?! Chicago Corruption — Open and Transparent.

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hey Cabrini Green is getting boarded up today. Let the good times roll.

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM

They punted on the vote. They’ll try again. This gives us more time to write and call. Don’t let up. These bastards won’t. It’s a battle — you have to resign yourself to this fact.

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I should know- but tabling is good, right?

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Got any plans for Xmas Eve? I think the libs do…

bofh on December 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM

My grandfather was a LEGAL immigrant form Czarist Russia.
Go frack yourself you worthless troll.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Your an idiot, I am no troll. My father was an ILLEGAL immigrant and now owns a company that employs 50, giving jobs to Americans who have been here for generations. I know illegals who would out work you any day, work circles around you. I know illegals who have in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know sons of illegals who also served as proud Americans. Where were you from 1986 to 2001 when the wave of illegals came? Oh that’s right, this childish bubble gum conservatism was not around to exploit the situation. True CONSERVATIVES know that we keep good people, kick out bad people. I know its hard to understand since your judgement has been clouded by extreme leftist ideas hidden into FAIR and NumbersUSA propoganda.

Conservatism is being infected

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Will someone please out Mark Kirk???

Lothar on December 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM
Yeah-and they all moved down here.
Btw: Have you seen the Busch beer billboard that’s in Spanish?
It’s on Dixie just off of Joe Orr, near the Haitian Church.
I so wanted to spray paint ‘In the US we speak ENGLISH’ on it but I don’t relish the idea of going to jail.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Will someone please out Mark Kirk???

Lothar on December 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’m not interested in who he’s banging-I’m interested on how he’ll be voting!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM

The motion was tabled because the votes weren’t there, and Kirk towed the party line. I know that’s a bitter pill for some of you, but I voted for him in the primary, I voted for him in the general, I helped elect him instead of a mob banker Obama tool.

Got news for you, moderate Republicans won in Illinois. Conservative right wingers lost. Stop with this litmus test crap. We have bigger problems than starting a civil war in the party.

MarkT on December 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Got any plans for Xmas Eve? I think the libs do…

bofh on December 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking that, too. It ain’t just him… they really all do have a messiah complex.

The Mega Independent on December 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I know illegals who would out work you any day, work circles around you… True CONSERVATIVES know that we keep good people, kick out bad people. I know its hard to understand since your judgement has been clouded by extreme leftist ideas hidden into FAIR and NumbersUSA propoganda.
Conservatism is being infected
conservador on December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

No “true conservative” would ever pump out this kind of bilge. Go jump in a lake.

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

MarkT on December 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I’m a conservative on some issues and libertarian on others…and I don’t think that someone who supports sticking scissors into a partially born baby’s head and then…is a good person. Kirk was elected to vote as a REPUBLICAN-not as a DEMOCRAT.
If I wanted a democrat I would’ve voted for Alexi.
My son starts college the fall of 2012.
He was born less than a mile from where I currently sit.
ILLEGALS do NOT deserve the same rights as my son.
Period.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

True CONSERVATIVES know that we keep good people, kick out bad people.

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Sneaking into this country illegally make you de facto a bad person.

Rebar on December 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Might be helpful to post some contact information for Sen. Kirk’s office so we can let him know how we feel.

pdigaudio on December 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

The Senate on Thursday punted on a DREAM Act vote after Democrats failed to advance a version that passed the House Wednesday night.

A senior Senate Democratic leadership aide told Fox News that the Senate is expected to vote on the House-passed legislation next week.

“We still hope to consider it before we leave,” a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told Fox News.

Earlier, Reid tried to shelve a procedural vote on the legislation that would carve out a path to legalization for hundreds of thousands of foreign-born youngsters brought to this country illegally because he said it would be more appropriate to take up the version that cleared the House.

But Republicans refused to let him do that. So Reid had the Senate vote on killing a motion to start debate on the bill.

Democrats always faced an uphill climb to muster the 60 votes needed to advance the legislation over opposition by most Republicans and a handful of their own members.

The House passed the legislation Wednesday night after Democratic leaders painstakingly lined up the votes to push it through.

Rebar on December 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Here’s Smirk’s contact info.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM…

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Ditto. What a load of garbage.

CantCureStupid on December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

pdigaudio on December 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Here ya go.
Mark Kirk contact information.

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Since Alex is starting college in 2012 I’m going to point out to Smirk that if he votes for DREAM he’s sending a message that he’s putting the rights of illegal students over the rights of Illinois students.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

pdigaudio on December 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I have been trying to get through to Kirk’s office for a couple of days now, 202-224-2854. I keep getting “line busy” and “voice mailbox full” recorded messages.

I’m betting every available SEIU member across the country is calling to pressure him and he does not yet have his email set up. Grrrrr…

Fallon on December 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Where are his local offices?
I’ll bet a protest in front of one could be mighty disconcerting to him.
*scratches chin*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Looks like this ‘adventure’ may be over for now.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I’ll bet a protest in front of one could be mighty disconcerting to him.
*scratches chin*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM

It’s all the way up in Northbrook.

And I just had some eye surgery. I can’t drive anywhere for another week.

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM

And I just had some eye surgery. I can’t drive anywhere for another week.

Knucklehead on December 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM
I hope you feel better soon.Would you like me to bake you some brownies?
Why doesn’t MK have an office Downtown? Durbin does.
Anyway-if you clicked on my link, it looks like it’s crisis averted…for the moment anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM

rrpjr on December 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Exactly. Conservatives do not believe in rewarding illegal behavior even if that person is “hard-working”. I know plenty of “aliens” who are here legally who work very hard too. The played b the rules and should be rewarded, not forced to compete with those who would undermine those laws.

clnurnberg on December 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Hope there is a HotAir DREAM act update soon…my guess is AP is working on it.

Missy on December 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Missy on December 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM
You mean an open registration?
I hope so.
I’ve been trying to get a friend registered her for a long time.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I don’t think Harry Reid can get all the Democrat Senators to vote for the Dream Act. If None of the Republicans, and some of the Democrat Senators up for re election in 2012 were to vote for the Dream Act – depending on if they are now living in a Red State that was previously Blue, like say Jim Webb in Virginia, what happens to the odds of their being re elected 2 years from now? Oh and they just witnessed one of the biggest political legislative shifts since 1948. That’s still fresh in their memory. I don’t rule out a politician selling us out, but when it comes to their job security, it’s a whole nother story.

Just sayin this isn’t strictly a partisan issue.

Dr Evil on December 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM

conservador on December 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Oh I see. It’s OK to break the law as long as you then hire people. So I can go rob a bank this afternoon but as long as I then use the money to start a business and hire 50 people, I won’t go to jail.

Sounds like a fun plan.

angryed on December 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Here’s Smirk’s contact info.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Complete and total waste of time. He has 5 1/2 years before he needs to worry about his voting record.

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM
My son is taking his SAT’s in March.
He was born @ St. James. Illinois born and raised.
I’m going to point out to Kirk’s staffers that if he votes for this he is putting the rights of children of illegals over the rights of students like my son!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Heh. My oldest daughter was born at St. James; my Mom was a nurse there for years.

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Leading up to the midterm elections, in an October 20th debate with Alexi G, Mark Kirk was asked if he would vote for the Dream Act if it was brought up anytime soon.

His response?

“This is not the time to do that.”

I dont think he will support it.

Indy82 on December 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Jaibones on December 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

My brother was born there and my ex-husband as well.
Me-I’m a foreigner.
I come from Iowa.

When I was very little I was friends with an older kid named Kevin Koenig. I think his mom was a peds nurse there.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM