Elizabeth Edwards dies

posted at 5:15 pm on December 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

Just 61 years old. The doctors stopped treating her cancer a few days ago because it would be “unproductive” and she posted a farewell message on Facebook only yesterday.

Her youngest son is 10.

The daughter of a decorated Navy pilot, Mary Elizabeth Anania spent her childhood at military bases in the U.S. and Japan. She met John Edwards while they both attended the University of North Carolina School of Law, and they married in 1977 during the same week they both took the bar exam.

Elizabeth Edwards dazzled her future husband and her classmates with her intelligence, humor, and grit. One classmate later recalled how she could stop a law professor cold after a 20-minute grilling on a case.

“The smartest lawyer I know is my wife, Elizabeth,” John Edwards once said.

“From the time she was a toddler, she was extremely impassioned, blazingly intelligent,” said her brother, Jay Anania, a New York film director.

Her first son died in a car accident when he was a teenager, and if you’ve read “Game Change” (or any of the more salacious excerpts), you know that she and John had had a stormy relationship even before Rielle Hunter entered the picture. Although they were comfortable financially, in many ways she had a tough life. I hope she found some peace at the end.

Update (Ed): Although I don’t share Elizabeth Edwards’ political views, she struck me as a strong woman with more than the usual heavy load, as Allahpundit also notes.  She will have more peace in the next life.  We’ll say prayers for her, her family, and the many friends she made along the way.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Such an uplifting experience reading the comments on this thread. It is something we can all learn from in that we must never eliminate the change of reconciliation with our fellows. If we do then we fall to the lowest common denominator humanly possible. Hatred is a cancer that eats at the fabric of our humanity if we let it. Peace

Sympathy to the Edwards family. John not so much!

sonnyspats1 on December 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Rest in Peace Mary Elizabeth Anania Edwards…

Gohawgs on December 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM

hawkdriver on December 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I’m glad my mom is no longer in pain. She was a trooper. She was here to see her 1st grandchild be born … she cut the umbilical cord and was the 1st to hold her. That meant so much to her. There’s plenty to be grateful for and just as you stated, I am thankful for the time we had together.

30 pcs of silver on December 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Ret in Peace.

bernzright777 on December 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Has Amanda Marcotte released a statement?

SouthernGent on December 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM

30 pcs of silver
I lost my mom two years ago. My husbands mother passed
last year from stage 4 gallbladder cancer. Four months and she was gone. Give yourself time to heal…your memories and Gods grace will get you through.

mnmom on December 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

She was too good for John…

jeffn21 on December 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Her husband is scum and I disagree with pretty much everything she stood for, but nobody deserves such an end. Her family has my sympathies.

Cylor on December 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Definitely didn’t agree with her politics or outlook on life, but this is a sad event and more so when such young children are left behind. Prayers for those left behind.

AZfederalist on December 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

So when Nancy Pelosi dies we’ll all be praying for her as well? I just get annoyed when awful people are all of a sudden loved and cherished because they’re dead.

angryed on December 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Not a matter of loved and cherished. It’s a matter of simple decency and one of the things that separates us from the other side. As much as I abhor Speaker Polosi, I have–nor will I ever–wish her ill. I will call her out on her policies, I will declare her evil, but I will never, ever wish her physical harm. B-I-G difference.
angryed on December 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Chewy the Lab on December 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Thank the Lord Jesus Christ for that.

pedestrian on December 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Yes.. thank God. Let’s think good of people in their deaths.

As for Elizabeth Edwards, I never didn’t like her as a person. She was a liberal who I disagreed with on many issues, but she was someone who I could disagree with amicably. Plus, you had to feel for her after her son’s death, her terminal cancer, and her husband’s cheating on her while she was dying. Cate Edwards is my age and seems like someone who is cool and who I would hang out with. I don’t know.. I would devastated if I lost my mom, so that’s how I feel.

Also as someone who lost a loved one to cancer (my grandma), it’s an awful way to go (you basically waste away at the end). I wonder if they have known for awhile, but waited until Mrs. Edwards was near death to let people know. Perhaps the family wanted privacy, which I don’t mind. An Elizabeth Edwards death watch.. nobody wants that.

Illinidiva on December 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Mrs. Edwards was a good woman. RIP.

Gang-of-One on December 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Her youngest son is 10.

This breaks my heart. God bless her family and give them solace during this terrible time.

Laura in Maryland on December 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM

It is with the death of someone in the public eye that we are reminded that this business of politics is a feeble business in the end.

This is especially true of someone like Mrs. Edwards, evidently a woman of achievements and intellectual prowess, who might have, given a bit more time, achieved things which would’ve beguiled our minds from her recent family troubles. As it is, she will be remembered by many as the “wronged wife” of a heel…remembered in the popular imagination for his infidelity and as part of his life, and not as a vital person herself.

Politics are important inasmuch as there a mountain of money, great expanses of power and the flights of ego attending both wrapped up in it. Mrs. Edwards was bum-rushed into the sticky and tawdry side of politics, to be sure.

But, death puts things into perspective. The politics are over for her. Now, with Christ’s help, there remains only glory.

Prayers go out to those whose lives she touched.

(…and, it is when death strikes at or close to those about whom the folks at HotAir have written that this blog shows it’s sterling side…wishing them peace….)

Puritan1648 on December 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

It’s so horrible that her children have to grow up without her. The disease itself is…

I hope she went peacefully.

Esthier on December 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Deeply saddening. She was a person of dignity and character. Prayers for her family and all those who loved her. I heard earlier that John Edwards was by her side in her final days. Whatever that says of him, it says of her that in the end, she did not let resentment and unforgiveness be shadows on her peace of mind and heart. There is a very great deal to be said for that.

We are so apt to forget that God’s great project is not the tax code, the income distribution, or the banishing of all wrongdoing and injury from human life. His project is the spirit, soul, and character of each of us. Elizabeth Edwards’ passing is a reminder of that. Requiescat in pace.

J.E. Dyer on December 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Elizabeth, you will always be remembered and admired for your incredible grace and strength in the face of the adversities life has dealt you. God bless you and may you forever rest in eternal peace.

bannedbyhuffpo on December 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM

May you rest in peace, Elizabeth. I am praying for your warm embrace in heaven.

MsUnderestimated on December 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Wow, just in the news treatment unproductive and gone today. Mother of young children. Tragic indeed.

Hog Wild on December 7, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I hate cancer.

The Edwards family is in my prayers. And I wish Elizabeth peace as she goes to be with The Lord.

I didn’t agree with Elizabeth’s politics, but I always thought of her as very sharp, quick to defend her positions and a true asset to the Democrats in working on campaigns with her husband. I also thought she showed incredible grace and loyalty to John, skipping opportunities to trash him to the media.

There’s something to be said for that.

My heart breaks for her children. It’s been on my mind all this evening, it’s very sad.

Rest in peace.

joshleguern on December 8, 2010 at 1:05 AM

God Speed Elizabeth.
I pray peace for you and your family. You left a good legacy of grace and strength for your family and children.

I’ll see you on the other side.

Handel on December 8, 2010 at 1:23 AM

“Such an uplifting experience reading the comments on this thread.” from sonnyspats1 on December 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I have to admit that I am very humbled by the comments posted at HOT AIR about Elizabeth Edward’s passing. Any time we lose a mom, brother, or any family member to cancer is a sad day for all of us.

Thank you HOT Air people for being the extended and educated family that I look for online. You showed it again tonight.

Our prayers to Elizabeth Edward’s family and friends.

bigjacket on December 8, 2010 at 4:16 AM

She deserved better than that scumbag she married.

Bright side, she’s in a better place now, not suffering and slim to no chance she’ll ever see said scumbag again.

God Bless her and may she rest in peace.

SuperCool on December 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Let’s get just a little bit real here, shall we? I’m sorry that she’s dead and I’m sorry that she suffered.

But come on, this was a horrible, mean, nasty woman. Aside from being the victim of an even more disgusting husband which was in no small part her own damned fault, this lady had no quality that I could find sympathetic.

MJBrutus on December 8, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Boy, what a slobberfest of a thread this is. The only two commenters with anything valid (not appropriate in a faux ‘sorry for your loss’ way but appropriate as in truth) to say were Virginia Shanahan and angryed (and at the last minute, another entrant, MJBrutus).

It is true death makes many soft in the head, especially when it comes to a progressive wench like Elizabeth Edwards.

There are many ‘oh so sad’ posters here who need to read some of Elizabeth’s more endearing progressive posts over at DailyKos. You’d quit the slobbering love-fest for the dearly departed if you did.

Call me a hater. Whatever. But I cannot separate the person in death from the person in life. This woman was a conniving, deceitful person who knew, just knew, she should be the First Lady and her darling sainted husband, John, should have been POTUS.

Two Americas indeed. Those who fall for such BS and those who don’t.

RickZ on December 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM

May God bless her soul and bless her children and loved ones.

American Elephant on December 8, 2010 at 7:24 AM

RickZ on December 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM

We’ve seen them. But now is not the time.

American Elephant on December 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM

We’ve seen them. But now is not the time.

American Elephant on December 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I get the whole, “showing respect for the dead and for other’s grief” thing. But when that respect crosses over from well-wishing to outright lying about the deceased it ceases to be constructive. Saying she “left a legacy of grace,” for example when what she left was a legacy of bitter, hectoring division does not make for a classy or sentimental send off. It is simply willful and sick-making deceit.

MJBrutus on December 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM

MJBrutus on December 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I think it hilarious that there is so much historical revisionism concerning Elizabeth Edwards going on here. We complain about the lefties doing that all the time, but here? Unexpected!

RickZ on December 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM

RickZ on December 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Good point. A little consistency would go a long way.

MJBrutus on December 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM

She was married to a scumbag, a scumbag she supported for years and along with deceived the American people in a quest for power over the American people. Sad she died as she did but I will not make her into a heroine.

jed58 on December 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Sorry, but I’m one of these “rabid Republican” EE hated so much. I’ve had to deal with treatment for advanced cancer and yes I feel for there kids, but EE was very willing to take a gamble that no one would ever find out about John affair. Like Hillary this women wanted the White House and was willing to lie and cheat to get it. Ketchup Queen & Elizabeth, that would have work out well.
“She apparently was not the “sweet dear lady” she appeared to be. Cold, calculating and nasty with a mouth that would put a sailor to shame.” That’s Not Me?…That’s Maureen Dowd!

For me, this weeks respect belong to Don Meredith.

try again later on December 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Not a hero nor a saint. Just another victim of relentless cancer that plays no favorites and recognizes no politics.
May all it’s victims find peace in God’s loving embrace.

Extrafishy on December 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I don’t find her to be particularly sympathetic public figure. Sorry she passed, but its past time to move on now.

kens on December 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM