Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on December 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Don’t touch my brownies! A child nutrition bill on its way to President Barack Obama — and championed by the first lady — gives the government power to limit school bake sales and other fundraisers that health advocates say sometimes replace wholesome meals in the lunchroom…

“‘This could be a real train wreck for school districts,’ Lucy Gettman of the National School Boards Association said Friday, a day after the House cleared the bill. ‘The federal government should not be in the business of regulating this kind of activity at the local level.’…

“Public health groups pushed for the language on fundraisers, which encourages the secretary of Agriculture to allow them only if they are infrequent. The language is broad enough that a president’s administration could even ban bake sales, but Secretary Tom Vilsack signaled in a letter to House Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller, D-Calif., this week that he does not intend to do that. The USDA has a year to write rules that decide how frequent is infrequent.’…

“‘These fundraisers are happening all the time,’ [Margo] Wootan [of the Center for Science in the Public Interest] said. ‘It’s a pizza sale one day, doughnuts the next… It’s endless. This is really about supporting parental choice. Most parents don’t want their kids to use their lunch money to buy junk food. They expect they’ll use their lunch money to buy a balanced school meal.’”

***
“But the spiraling obesity rates Palin mocks are increasingly having an impact on health care costs, which in turn affects the way we must approach and debate reforms to the health care system. Those least able to afford health care disproportionately need it in large part because of the unhealthy food they eat — and that is served to their children in government-run schools. We’ve arrived at a point where inner-city children can’t identify common fresh vegetables and fruits, such as cauliflower, tomatoes, and potatoes.

“Perhaps you regard it as an intolerable violation of personal liberty for government to campaign for nutritional awareness? What then do we call the federal agricultural subsidies that have helped to lower the price of super-abundant junk food? Can you explain why it’s okay for government to campaign against smoking and in favor of seatbelts? Or do you also oppose those life-saving public safety campaigns? Or is it perhaps that you have decided that everything the Obamas do is so intrinsically wrong that criticism of the Twinkie now makes you un-American?…

“Here we come to the heart of the destructive craziness of what begs to be called Junk Food Conservatism. Palin, Limbaugh and the others may sincerely believe that “Big Government” is taking advantage of the increase in child and adult diabetes, heart disease and all-manners of obese-related illnesses to trample on our God-given freedom to guzzle soda and eat candy. But in the end, here’s the political message they are sending from their own wealthy, option-filled, Subzero-equipped enclaves to this country’s poorest and unhealthiest:

“Let them eat Twinkies.”

***
“Don’t get me wrong. I’m not opposed to instilling healthful behaviors in our children. What I’m opposed to is the government mandating those behaviors. It might help the cause further if the First Lady’s White House Task Force on Obesity Report delivered to the president’s desk last May were not filled distortions and mischaracterizations of the childhood obesity epidemic…

“In the meantime, maybe the First Lady and her hubby could set a better example by making their snack attacks—which include scarfing down ice cream, cookies, and fast food burgers—less conspicuous. The accompanying slideshow is made up of just a few of the snapshots taken in the time since Barack Obama was elected president. Healthy appetite, no?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

America is fat because the food tastes good. Plain and simple.

I’m moving to China next year and I expect to lose a bunch of weight due to the lack of taste in Chinese food. . . .

Mojave Mark on December 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Dude, save your airfare. Duke University has been running the Rice Diet Program for years with great success.

BigAlSouth on December 6, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Then they came for the Tastycakes and I said nothing…

Then they came for school bake sales and I said nothing…

When they got to my food stores there was no one left to defend me as they had all been starved to death.

They ate lead trying to get them.

ajacksonian on December 6, 2010 at 6:37 AM

no mas.

ted c on December 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Soylent Green isn’t too bad when prepared as a Slurpee.

Uniblogger on December 6, 2010 at 7:05 AM

The hypocrisy here is just unbelievable.

If MO was a Size 2 like Nancy Reagan, it would lower the infuriating level just a bit.

INC on December 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM
Rant ON:
Starting the spring before I turned 16(Reagan years) I developed pill/exercise dependent bulimia. 24 -almost 25-years later I still struggle with it to a point because ED’s are like alcoholism in the sense that you can never totally get rid of them.
My reason for mentioning this is that many of those with eating disorders live by the numbers they see on the scale, on the size of their clothes, on the food they eat.
The nanny-states obsession with ‘the numbers’ is going to send young people into the eating disorder column because rather than encourage kids to enjoy the brownie or cupcake or whatever but in moderation; MO and her ilk are telling them that they can ONLY enjoy those things in moderation IF they have the right ‘numbers’ on them.
Her nonsense could also trigger those who are in recovery.
I know this because thanks to calorie-contents being on the menu boards/menus in certain places(Panera comes to mind) I need to know what I’m getting before I go there…so I won’t have to look at the menu and possibly get triggered.
THIS is what the nutritional nanny-staters are creating.
Rather than teaching kids to eat in balance and moderation-ditto with the excercise-MO and her minions would rather that kids learn to live ‘by the numbers’, that society learn to ‘live by the numbers’…and don’t even get me started on forcing kids to get their BMI ‘s checked.
I’ve fought hard to get to this point with my bulimia.
The way MO is going about her ‘initiative’ is not just wrong…it’s boardering on evil.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Mmmm, brownies.

Mmmm, mmmm, mmm…

OmahaConservative on December 6, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Like many who have survived eating disorders-more or less- I’m an excellent baker. Sending you virtual mocha brownies and Barb’s infamous Orange Cake.
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Liberals = Keep government out of my bedroom!!

Conservatives = Keep government out of my kitchen!!!

VelvetElvis on December 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM

For decades we’ve had the food pyramid and other public health awareness campaigns, including those inducing people to exercise – and still the society as a whole is getting fatter.

Education and awareness isn’t the issue; it it were, we’d be a nation of exercise-obsessed, healthy food-eating thinnies instead of the fat, rumpled nation of ass-sitters we are today.

If people want to send themselves to an early grave by not taking care of themselves – be my guest – but let’s not add yet another foolish mandate or government intrusion that will result in no fewer fat people than we have today.

redfoxbluestate on December 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM

*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Barb…just intercepted one of your ‘virtual mocha brownies’ with my third cup of coffee this morning. Thanks :)

You know, one of these statist during the election let the cat out of the bag when he said it ‘takes a while to control the people’. This is their mission in life, and I hope pray they fail!

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Somebody needs to mail the Obamas a copy of the U.S. Constitution. Apparently… they’ve never read it before.

Murf76 on December 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Glad you’re enjoying it.
Btw: I just want to make clear-I bring up things like my Asperger’s or my struggles with bulimia if I think they’re relevant to the topic at hand.
If I’m sounding like i’m playing victim to anyone that is not my intention.
I’m no ones victim.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Liberals = Keep government out of my bedroom!!

Conservatives = Keep government out of my kitchen!!!

VelvetElvis on December 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM

The Liberals I know have no problem bringing their bedroom to you through pictures, video, re-enactment, plays, movies, toys,….you name it.

Electrongod on December 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM

If I’m sounding like i’m playing victim to anyone that is not my intention.
I’m no ones victim.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Don’t sweat it. You didn’t come off like that at all.

You brought back some long ago memories when I would rag my youngest sister who had “the weirdest eating habits in the world” and would weigh herself numerous time a day. Obviously I had no clue.

Anyway, good for you.

Gang-of-One on December 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Thanks, darlin’
Delicious with my hot coffee on this bitter morning.

OmahaConservative on December 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Prayers ascending for your good health, Barb.

OmahaConservative on December 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Prayers ascending for your good health, Barb.

OmahaConservative on December 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Thanks.
I’ve been ‘clean’ from the diet pills for 7 years now.
Breaking that habit was a big thing. Those pills were EVIL.
Anything else that happened/happens is…gravy.
*grins*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM

How do we know obesity is such a big problem and society as a whole is getting fatter? Because the liberals who want to control our every waking moment and string beans with a center for healthy eating have told us that we are getting fatter. Just like they told us pig flu was a pandemic, they have now moved onward to junk food. Maybe their mama never told them to mind their own business. They better keep their hands off my Little Debbie cakes.

Kissmygrits on December 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Thanks.
I’ve been ‘clean’ from the diet pills for 7 years now.
Breaking that habit was a big thing. Those pills were EVIL.
Anything else that happened/happens is…gravy.
*grins*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Barb, I have a 30 yr old daughter still struggling with bulimia…my wife and I pray for her daily that she can rid herself of that demon. With OC, prayers for you for continued good health.

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Prayers also ascending for your daughter, papa.

OmahaConservative on December 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I’m praying hard for her. She’ll never totally get rid of it-I’ve got a glass of doctored slimfast in my hand as I write-but I know that after the Christmas Season over it will settle down. God is good, all the time. She CAN start to get her life back!
If she needs someone to talk to I’m available and can lend support. She won’t trigger me at all. I also know resources that can help.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 9:26 AM

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM

If she’s interested I’ll figure out a way to get you my e-mail(I’m sure Allah and Ed have it) or a link to my FB page.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

As we predicted,
Government financed health care
Leads to Food Police…

Government grabbing control of basic freedoms in order to control health-care costs is not a bug of Obamacare… It’s a feature.

If the government doesn’t want to bear the costs of poor diet decisions on the part of the uneducated underclass, they should stop paying for their medical care. But if they are going to subsidize their poor food choices and then subsidize the resulting health-related expenses, is it any wonder that individuals have little incentive to make healthy decisions?

The solution, as it so often is, is more freedom. Let people make their own decisions, without intervention, and force them to pay the costs of their poor decision-making. Nothing stamps out stupidity like consequences.

But increasing freedom is like garlic to a vampire for Obama and his crew. They will never, ever go there.

Haiku Guy on December 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Lobster on the other hand is free from any fats or calories or cholesterol.

royzer on December 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Kissmygrits on December 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Oh I believe it… The left has instituted policies that create lazy, unproductive, and on average fatter people who think life should be handed to them without struggle… and now they are using those people to jive the numbers as a way of controlling the rest of us.

RalphyBoy on December 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Thanks, Barb. This really means a lot. We have several people at our church that want to help. But our daughter has bought into the lie from the ‘father of all lies’ that GOD is not bigger than all of her problems. She knows Him, but does not fully trust that He can, or would want to, heal her. That is why we pray, and thanks to you and OC for praying for her. Her name is Ashley.

GOD bless you both.

lukespapa on December 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Lobster on the other hand is free from any fats or calories or cholesterol.

royzer on December 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ;)

shibumiglass on December 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

“Who is this person who speaks to me as if I needed his advice?”
– Edward Longshanks

mojo on December 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

We need to swap the kids who are obese with the kids who are undernourished (families, schools whatever). That way we can save money and everyone is healthy (and happy).

jerseyman on December 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM