And the 2010 HARRY Award goes to…

posted at 2:00 pm on December 5, 2010 by Patrick Ishmael

A big thanks to everyone that participated in this First Annual HARRY balloting. In 24 hours, over 4000 readers cast their ballots for the best and worst of the 2010 political season. So, who’s the Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year?

Like any good awards ceremony, we’ll start off with the minor categories.

Hot Air Story of the Year

Beating out its nearest competitor by more than a three-to-one margin, the blog post Video: Chris Christie destroys reporter for calling him confrontational takes home the inaugural HASY Trophy, snatching up 40% of the vote in the six-way race. This year’s runner-up is “Dingell: It will take a while for ObamaCare to ‘control the people’.” Rounding out the top 3 — “Dem congressman: If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over.” (Be sure to search the Archives yourself for some of the other oldie-but-goodies.)

Favorite Topic of the Year

What pushed readers’ buttons? It looks like anything and everything Chris Christie was welcome content, with posts relating to the current New Jersey governor capturing the only majority answer for the question (51%). Christie was more popular than posts on The economy and even Sarah Palin. Following Opinion pieces and Campaign coverage, Ed’s Obamateurisms clearly struck the right chord with visitors to Hot Air, rounding out the clearly popular categories. Not so popular? Posts about Christine O’Donnell, Robots, and Religion.

Preferred Vice Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

Taking the prize for Best Politician Hopefully in a Supporting Role, Florida Senator-elect Marco Rubio topped the vice presidential list by a squeaker over crowd favorite Chris Christie, 564 votes to 523 votes. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal came in a close third with 517 votes. Taking fourth, fifth, and sixth were Congressman Paul Ryan, former Governor Sarah Palin, and Florida Congressman-elect Allen West, in that order. (Note Palin and West; we’ll get back to them in a moment.)

And now, performance art.

Moving on.

In the category of Least Liked Topic We Specifically Polled Anyway, readers by a resounding 67% to 16% favored Christine O’Donnell over Mike Castle in their 2010 Delaware primary match-up. As for supporting a rematch with her as the nominee in 2014, readers were… less enthusiastic.

Hot Air readers are decidedly opposed to Republican candidates for President attending Politico’s Spring debate, generally preferring that the candidates refrain from participating in such an event until the end of the year.

So, back to the candidates themselves: When they cast their votes, what qualities were Hot Air readers looking for in their preferred candidate for President?

Preferred Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

And the winner for Best Politician in a Hopefully Leading Role is Sarah Palin, beating Chris Christie handily and in a substantial reversal from the last poll we took at Hot Air on the topic. Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, and Mitt Romney round out the list at three, four and five.

Worth noting here is that while the “most popular President-VP ticket” would seem to be Palin-Rubio based on the results, that pairing was not the most common pairing explicitly given by Hot Air readers.

I’ve prepared a chart to help explain this. Down the left hand column is the preferred President of readers, with the highlighted box signaling which VP candidate was paired with him or her most frequently. So, Palin supporters chose Allen West most often as their VP choice. In contrast, the most popular pairing where Rubio was the VP on a ticket was when Chris Christie was the choice for President. Interesting stuff to me.

A look back at those we lost this year

Assuming there were that many, of course. Personally, I think the following groups won more Republican seats than they “lost,” but Hot Air readers have a decidedly more mixed, and basically negative, opinion of these organizations: the NRCC and NRSC.

Readers may not have liked these organizations, but they did like at least one person. A lot. In fact, so much so that this person is…

The Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year

And the HARRY goes to…

Sarah Palin. It wasn’t particularly close, either. Lots of voters commented that while they couldn’t vote for her for President, she was undoubtedly the biggest Republican mover and shaker of 2010. When I argued last year that the then-former governor Palin ought to “run for Congress” in 2010, I believed that she would play an enormously important role in winning back Republican seats. I noted at the time,

[W]hile Palin’s resignation certainly risks her own personal ambitions for higher office, it also opens up her hand to do the some of the free-wheeling, unfiltered campaigning she couldn’t do last year, with the prime beneficiary the center-right cause. If Palin wants to strengthen her political future, I can’t think of a better way to do it.

Obviously, not all of the 63 seats I predicted Republicans would take were directly a result of her interventions, but Palin drove much of the political conversation over the last 18 months. That’s not an easy feat for a typical politician, but Sarah Palin is not your typical politician. Whatever you think of the Mama Grizzly, you have got to respect her tenaciousness.

She got my vote, and clearly a lot — and I mean a lot – of Hot Air readers cast their ballots likewise.

That concludes this First Annual HARRY Awards ceremony. Hope you enjoyed it. I’m on Twitter. And I’ll leave you with this diddy as a parting tribute to the most endangered among us:

Until next post.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

How did the polling break down by state?

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Awesome post. Thanks.

OmahaConservative on December 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Patrick, thanks for the fun poll. It was informative as to how those here at HA think. Seems, I think the same as do others. Look forward to other polls.
L

letget on December 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM

portlandon@2:03,
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for bringing that up.
L

letget on December 5, 2010 at 2:06 PM

portlandon@2:03,
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for bringing that up.
L

letget on December 5, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Third that, been wondering myself, would love to see how it shakes out.

nwsseeker on December 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I want the names of the five HA voters who supported Suckabee.

Cicero43 on December 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Pilobolus Oscar movies

Wow!

OmahaConservative on December 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I want the names of the five HA voters who supported Suckabee.

Cicero43 on December 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I want to know who voted Allahpundit Conservative of the Year!

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

One of the ballot questions involved how the respondent see’s themselves politically– I’d like to see the breakdown of respondent political stripes as well.

anXdem on December 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Did AP vote for himself?

Electrongod on December 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

anXdem on December 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Ideological breakdown was

Conservative 72%
Libertarian 16%
Center-Right 9%
Moderate 1%
Other 1%

That’s pretty close to the breakdown of the Tea Party poll we did. There, it was

Tea Party – Conservative/Conservative 69%
Tea Party – Libertarian/Libertarian 28%
Other 3%

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

This post has been promoted to HotAir.com.

Comments have been closed on this post but the discussion continues here.

Ed Morrissey on December 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Dear gawd…Ed’s a time traveler!

JetBoy on December 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Where is Jan Brewer governor of Arizona?

DFCtomm on December 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

in Afriaca an Asia there aren’t many of you left

In American they’re all left, and I wish they were extinct.

Tommy_G on December 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Ed Morrissey on December 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Dear gawd…Ed’s a time traveler!

JetBoy on December 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

My calculations puts Ed in Rio de Janeiro.
Must be nice.

Electrongod on December 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I want to know who voted Allahpundit Conservative of the Year!

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Sarah Palin or Christine O’Donnell?..You take your pick!..:)

Dire Straits on December 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

So Jindal’s supporters were the only ones smart enough not to also vote for him for VP…

DaveO on December 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Nice work..It was a very good poll!..:)

PS..I tip my fedora to you for the good work!..:)

Dire Straits on December 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM

wow…
“Youths oppress my people, women rule over them. My people, your guides lead you astray; they turn you from the path.” Isaiah 3:12

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Patrick,

Not possible with this poll probably unless you do an adendenum of sorts but it would be interesting to see more demographics of the ones who took the poll,(ie., age, sex, religion, income levels, married/single, etc.) just generically see the makeup of who answered the questions. I apologize if I’m sounding critical or being a monday morning quarterback, what you put together is excellent. I applaud you for the work you have put into it. I find it very informative and interesting to see what folks are thinking, their views as opposed to my own. Glad to see there are so many like-minded folks out there and I’m not alone in my faith of Governor Palin’s awesomeness!

nwsseeker on December 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

That was a lot of work, Patrick. I didn’t say it last night, but I meant to: THANKS!

SouthernGent on December 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

wow…

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM

In answering God’s call, Deborah became a singular biblical character: a female military leader Facing Down ‘900 Chariots of Iron.

Deborah of the Bible served a fairly important position at a time when no men were willing to take such roles. The position was that of a Judge and she was also a prophetess. God simply told her that after years of oppression from the Canaanite King Yavin, she was to save the people.

**(I am not calling Palin a prophet, or saying she is “God approved”, I am merely giving an example of God using Women in response to Send_Me ‘s Post.)**

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM

“You love me, you really love me!”

Ian on December 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Conservative 72%
Libertarian 16%
Center-Right 9%
Moderate 1%
Other 1%

There are either a lot of conservatives who don’t bother to comment here, or there are a lot of moderates who are ashamed to admit what they are.

ddrintn on December 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Speaking of biblical references, what happened to Sarah as a modern day Queen Ester? sp?

shmendrick on December 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

ddrintn on December 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

The poll was open to everyone, not just people registered to comment on HotAir. I think there are alot of people who come to hotair that don’t comment, or bother to register.

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Where is Jan Brewer governor of Arizona?

DFCtomm on December 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Yeah, that was a big oversight. I had to write her in as my VP pick for Palin in 2012

Palin/Brewer 2012 for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on December 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM

The Prophets were the subject of discussion at ‘Sunday School’ this morning. I just finished reading her book and as the discussion went along I just kept saying (silently) ‘Oh, my… Who does that sound like?’. Mostly it derived from a) her bold and unapologetic faith and b) the wrath she is enduring.

I’m not suggesting she is a Prophet, but the world sure seems to be in the midst of a struggle of Biblical proportions.

turfmann on December 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Palin Christie 2012.
in any combo in regards to Potus and Veep……..

Will blow the totus into oblivion. heh.

RealMc on December 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

turfmann@3:19,
Yes we are in the midst now of what seems good/evil. It seems that God has always provided someone who can help, if we choose to listen. Sarah has what some think is what our Founders wanted for our Republic. It will be a hard struggle for her if she does decide to run. There is going to be gobs of really really evil people trying to shut her down. So far, she isn’t doing all that bad, but it is gonna get worse from the left and right for her. BTW, I love reading Revelations.
L

letget on December 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Republican of the Year:

Also, why wasn’t Snooki on the list?

IU_Conservative on December 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The word is “tenacity,” not tenaciousness.

College Prof on December 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Good poll…thanks!

I would be interested to see the “comments” from the free text field that was at the bottom of the poll. Are those posted anywhere?

ornery_independent on December 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Also, why wasn’t Snooki on the list?

IU_Conservative on December 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Which of these two things is not like the other? Man seaseme street taught you that when you were 3. If you want to disprove the “reality star” talking point the easiest and best way is to compare yourself with a real “reality star”

it’s called compare and contrast.

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM

This explains why Palin won and will continue to win:

Center-right columnist E. Thomas McClanahan from the Kansas City Star is a Palin skeptic but he concedes that “she’s trapped our friends on the left in a no-win debate on American exceptionalism.” He writes that “the genius” of Palin’s strategy of emphasizing American exceptionalism in her book, speeches, and interviews “is that it also hints at the ambivalence many Democrats feel toward the use of military force.”

Even a Palin skeptic like McClahnahan concludes that “Palin is plowing some very fertile political ground.”

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Where is Jan Brewer governor of Arizona?

DFCtomm on December 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

She’ll be 68 by the election, old enough to make age an issue.

slickwillie2001 on December 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM

The word is “tenacity,” not tenaciousness.

College Prof on December 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Tenaciousness is most certainly a word. But thanks?

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Tenaciousness is most certainly a word.

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Way to school the teacher.

CWforFreedom on December 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

The word is “tenacity,” not tenaciousness.

College Prof on December 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Tenaciousness is most certainly a word. But thanks?

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Heh.
I was waiting for this.

OmahaConservative on December 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Tenaciousness is most certainly a word. But thanks?

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Still waiting on the state demographics, Patrick.
You should have included age also, but hey, next poll.

Tenaciousness is in D

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM

The fact that Palin won by a large margin is no surprise, but with many mostly conservatives voting, Christie getting that many votes is a surprise. His positions on Cap & Trade, Illegal Immigration and the 2nd Amendment seem to be pure RINO. He doesn’t seem to embrace the Tea Party, nor did he campaign much for any truly conservative candidates and he endorsed Castle. While his You Tube videos attacking unions are a hit, he really hasn’t delivered much for NJ fiscally. My guess would be that once folks focus on his positions, rather than his talk the talk videos, they won’t be so thrilled with his walk the walk on issues.

Done That on December 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Done That on December 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I concur. I’m not anti-Christie, but I’m blown away by how many people have jumped on his bandwagon because he’s a good You Tube character. There’s no doubt that he’s a RINO and I’ll be watching to see what he does besides speaking out against the teachers’ unions.

NoNails on December 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM

NoNails on December 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM

fanboyz are easily impressed by pretty words.

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I want to know who voted Allahpundit Conservative of the Year!

His publicist.

Emperor Norton on December 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I want to know who voted Allahpundit Conservative of the Year!
His publicist.

Emperor Norton on December 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM

please it was Megan McCain. She supports her one and only fan.

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM

IU_Conservative on December 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I know it sucks to be a Daniels supporter, but take your sour grapes elsewhere.

Norwegian on December 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM

The NRSC NRCC RNC cost us the majority in the senate.

The Democrats made their own GOP ads against them and instead they shot us in the foot repeatedly in the primaries and then backed off when the candidates weren’t RINO enough or just gave the libs a pass on their most egregious actions.

Speakup on December 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM

A+++++ would read again and/or recommend to a friend

Jeddite on December 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Where is Jan Brewer governor of Arizona?

DFCtomm on December 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Her debate performance ended any chance of her having a national career.

TedInATL on December 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I WANT RON PAUL!!

Nelsen on December 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I WANT RON PAUL!!

Nelsen on December 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Yeah, and I want my house painted, but that’s not gonna happen.

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I would love a Palin/Jindal ticket with Liz Chaney as SOS and Bolten as Defense.

I’d like to see what Rubio and Christie actually do before I jump on the love of them bandwagon too…

CCRWM on December 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Yeah, and I want my house painted, but that’s not gonna happen.

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Third…straight…week…working on the Hawk’s Nest. Must finish painting before Christmas.

(The fun of covering the entire Cape Cod we have in one day with the Titan 295XL has given way to the drudgery of hand painting the trim.)

hawkdriver on December 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Sarah Palin congratulations!!!

If you ever read Hot Air, know we think you’re great. If you’re going to make a run of it, please be ready and impress the heck out of everyone.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Wow, I was surprised Rush beat so many politicians. I guess Conservatives really still do listen to him. Seems like folks these day feel like they have to deny it for some reason.

hawkdriver on December 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Patrick, good work on the post;
but, it’s a ditty.

/spelling nazi mode off.

massrighty on December 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I’m sure Ron Paul will run again, and I hope Giuliani gets in just to kick him in the teeth a couple more times.

Lindsay Graham likely to put in an appearance as well.

slickwillie2001 on December 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

slickwillie2001 on December 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Graham? Really? You had to mention him running? You wanted to ruin the rest of my weekend?

hawkdriver on December 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

hawkdriver on December 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Sorry; he will last a month maybe. Don’t know why he would bother.

slickwillie2001 on December 5, 2010 at 7:52 PM

slickwillie2001 on December 5, 2010 at 7:52 PM

ONLY if he RESIGNS the Senate to run…

It would put DeMint in the unfavorable position of not endorsing Grahamnesty in the SC Primary, as primary that he would lose…

Gohawgs on December 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I only got 11 votes?!

Akzed on December 5, 2010 at 8:05 PM

“diddy” should be “ditty”.

JimC on December 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I WANT RON PAUL!!

Nelsen on December 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

To quote Mr Twerp:Everyonehas wants.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

portlandon on December 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Yep, and Deborah did great things. One must not confuse that just because something took place in the Bible, while historical, it’s not necessarily normative. For example, the Flood of Noah’s day happened, but this was not God’s normal method of dealing with a rebellious people. Neither were Jonah’s whale or virgin births. Deborah’s calling was a sign of judgment “when no men were willing to take such roles”, according to Isaiah.

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Alright, anybody who voted for Huckabee for anything… please exit the room now.

I think West finishing that high on the overall list is exciting.

mankai on December 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM

When was the poll taken and was it open to all HA readers? Somehow I missed it?

silvernana on December 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM

“Huckabee 1%”

LOL! No wonder I love it here so much!

American Elephant on December 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM

BTW Patrick,

awesome post! That’s a lot of work you did! Kudos.

American Elephant on December 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Sarah Palin’s record of governance is limited. I think that the best thing she can do is just what she is doing. Barnstorming and pumping up conservatives.

But what I like best is the way she makes the professional political class’s head explode. Nothing generates a non-stop rant like mentioning her name to a liberal.

schmuck281 on December 6, 2010 at 2:39 AM

My dream ticket:

Prez: Chris Christie
Veep: Thaddeus McCotter

Christie against Obama in one debate, then Thad against Biden in the next?

…Not sure which would be better.

ChipDWood on December 6, 2010 at 5:13 AM

Nice work. FYI, replace tenaciousness with tenacity.

I am not a Palinista, and I am no fan of “reality” television. However, after watching two episodes of Sarah Palin’s Alaska, I’ve changed my mind, and I believe she needs to run. Here’s a person who doesn’t fear being under the liberal-tilted microscope. She’s survived the last three years in very good order since McCain first selected her as his running mate. She doesn’t cave in on her principles for anything. Yes, she supported some McCain platform items which were fairly RINO-flavored, which is to be expected of a VP candidate. She lives in the real world, not the halls of power. She works her butt of doing what’s best for her family, and it shows.

First and foremost, she believes in the America that the founders believed in. She believes that government is not intended to control the people, but to support and defend the people. She believes in the Constitution as written, not as Men in Black have redefined it.

Christie, DeMint, Rubio, West, Jindal, have all shown some good strong originalist traits. But not a one of them has gone straight into the line of fire and told it like it is with the energy and bravado of the Mama Grizzly. She’s the real deal, and idiot knee-jerk “neocons” crying that she isn’t electable are the only ones who can make that be true. If Bill Clinton, who was a nobody until mid-January of 1992, who dropped out in the early primary season then returned, who suffered the “bimbo-eruption” in the middle of it all, if he can be elected, Sarah Palin can be elected. Just don’t let her be paired with someone who would ever consider co-spondering legislation with someone like a Russ Feingold, and we’ll be fine.

Freelancer on December 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Prez: Chris Christie
Veep: Thaddeus McCotter

Christie against Obama in one debate, then Thad against Biden in the next?

…Not sure which would be better.

ChipDWood on December 6, 2010 at 5:13 AM

Good ticket-other than that I’d like the conservative on the top of the ticket.
I saw ‘blurbs’ of McCotter in the ‘I Want Your Money’ trailer.
Very impressive.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Definitely think Christie is a great Republican for New Jersey but not sure he is the real deal yet. Lets keep him in the bullpen in 2012 and let him show us what he is really about before making him the future of the conservative cause.

I truly think Rubio is the kind of figure that change voting demographics forever. Can you imagine what would happen if he brought Hispanic voters into the conservative ranks? He did in Florida. I just love the guy and think we need to include him in any discussion of the future of the party.

The guy will be President someday. I guarantee it.

Oh, and Huckabee sucks.

alecj on December 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Allahpundit/O’Donnell 2012!

KeepOhioRed on December 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM

The guy will be President someday. I guarantee it.

Oh, and Huckabee sucks.

alecj on December 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I think he would be a terrific vice-president under Palin. She wouldn’t have to be ashamed of him going out and speaking in public like Biden nor would she be insecure enough to keep his light hidden under a bushel. After eight years as VP, he’d be well ready to take the ball and run.
And yes, Huckabee sucks.

Extrafishy on December 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Nicely done.
That looks like it took quite a bit of work.

Thanks for the great effort.

1IDVET on December 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Christie, while a very good candidate for New Jersey, would not make most Hot Air viewers happy when they find out his other views.

“Flavor of the month” is not just a phenomenon with liberals picking Obama. Appears we are guilty too. Probably the same people that said Lieberman and Powell at one time or another.

scotash on December 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM