Video: The funniest “celebrity” in D.C.

posted at 9:49 pm on December 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Two clips from last night’s competition, to which Washington journalists and political apparatchiks flock annually for the purpose of kinda sorta amusing each other. Righty blogosphere fave Mary Katharine Ham was one of the judges and proved she’s a gamer by trying her own hand at stand-up, albeit briefly, to warm up the crowd. That’s the first clip, via the good folks at Eyeblast. The second clip is of the winner, Obama speechwriter Jon Lovett, who’s actually not half-bad for an amateur. The dig at Politico should be a crowd pleaser with HA readers, and his Arianna Huffington impersonation is so good that if you close your eyes and concentrate you just might think you’re watching an especially lively episode of “Morning Joe.” Look out for the Palin joke, though. Or rather, “joke.”

Comments

is so good that if you close your eyes and concentrate you just might
===================================

Or,ahem,thinking of the flag,when the lights are out,
er,for England I mean!!!

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

MKH
=====

Obama on Your Shoulder

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

The Palin joke fell flat. But that’s a brilliant impression of Huffington.

John the Libertarian on December 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Amateur was about the only word that was applicable to Lovett, as well as the rest. Not even a chuckle.

MadisonConservative on December 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Ol’ Jon’s reasonably amusing. He needs to write some jokes for his humorless and unfunny boss.

ncborn on December 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

“Its not even an issue for him,I mean thats a amazeing”.

Hmmmmmm……..

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM

MadisonConservative on December 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

You’re a hardened man MadCon.

portlandon on December 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

She’s more than a gamer. Of course, I could be juuuuuust a bit biased, but I don’t think I am.

steveegg on December 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

With all of the clowns in DC, I was expecting more.

DAT60A3 on December 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM

“Canadian Double Standards”
============================

I’m outageously outraged!(sarc).

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

It’s sad that a like 10 year old is like in charge of like writing the POTUS’s speeches and POTUS can’t like remember like his lines sans teleprompter.

txag92 on December 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Lovett had a routine rather than a string of jokes, so I give him some respect for that. The Huffington bit went on too long, and the audience participation part was clunky, but it landed a few punches. I’ve seen better in small-town clubs on open mic nite, and from previous DC winners. But it was passable.

sulla on December 3, 2010 at 10:25 PM

HuffPuff was not bad,in Arriannas neverending,

‘Ì must tell you’…….

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

uh, uh, uh…

Geez, I wondered why the President said that so much. Lovett must write it into his, uh, uh, speeches.

Not even a little funny.

hawkdriver on December 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM

uh, uh, uh…

Not even a little funny.

hawkdriver on December 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM

hawkdriver:True Dat:)

canopfor on December 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

After the last vid I watched here tonight, I am not even touching these!!! If you guys say so, good enough for me. I have been having flashbacks all evening.

catlady on December 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM

O_O

….

O_O

Well, for one thing:

EPIC PIT SWEAT IS EPIC.

And another:

GHEY is the new gay.

That. was. so. awful. I feel like I should post a billion links to Margaret Cho from 2001 and prior for some rull gay comedy, but I know they’d be filtered.

What the holy hockey sticks and poppers heck is this hot.azz.mess. doing being front paged? I’d even take Meggie Moo milking herself in Taiwanese youtube animabot format over this Greek tragedy.

lansing quaker on December 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM

catlady on December 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Don’t take AP’s word for it on the first video – take mine. Trust me; have I ever steered you wrong (well, you can ignore the fact that I’ve never steered you in any direction)?

steveegg on December 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM

“Technically still a Virgin Airlines”…heh.

Sweat stains are never sexy, though. However, I do like that his tie is the right length…covering his belt buckle (even if it’s not tightly tied).

SouthernGent on December 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Arianna part was the only mildly amusing section.

Love Hammer’s “spread the jokes around” line.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Sorry but that pit sweat was just too distracting to be funny.

If this is the best they got it’s no wonder things are so screwed up in Washington.

Good lord.

The Ugly American on December 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Any guesses as to the handle Lovett uses at HA?

Some familiar themes came through.

OkieDoc on December 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Anybody that has the guts to stand up and do that is good in my book. I can’t think of anything more terrifying than somebody walking up to me, tapping me on the shoulder and saying, “go stand in front of all those people and say something funny for ten minutes.”

Zetterson on December 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I guess that is why 0′s speech to the troops was so flat – it speechwriter has another job more important to him.

Oleta on December 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Dear Gaia. That was atrocious. There really is a dearth of comedy in politics, isn’t there? Ol Sweaty Squirrel didn’t even raise an eyebrow from me. I’ve heard funnier sets at corporate events.

di butler on December 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Jon Lovett, who’s actually not half-bad for an amateur

Actually, the word that came to mind was ‘douchebag’. A smirk was the best i could muster, although I confess I was thinking of hitting him with the microphone at the time.

austinnelly on December 4, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Mr. Lovett was pretty good. Um, and he’s not bad looking either.

terryannonline on December 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Zetterson on December 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Yeah it’s not only the jokes you say but the timing too. I thought he did pretty good on the delivery as well.

terryannonline on December 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM

A solid C-.

diogenes on December 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Look out for the Palin joke, though. Or rather, “joke.”

Ladies and gentlemen, the new head writer for “Late Night with David Letterman” circa January, 2013.

jon1979 on December 4, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Well now we know where Obama’s cute sense of humor comes from…Jon would make a better president, we need a good laugh.

right2bright on December 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM

A middling impression of Lisa (she’s easy to do), but more interesting that he would dare to mock one of the the goddesses of American liberalism. I see hate-mail in his future.

Overall, American comedy is in a sad state, -so infused with political correctness. The only religions that can be mocked are Christianity and Mormonism. The only politicians that can be mocked are Republicans, etc. When such broad swathes of the culture are ruled off-limits, the material suffers. Comedians used to pride themselves on their daring and cutting-edginess and all that; no more.

slickwillie2001 on December 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM

The Palin joke fell flat. But that’s a brilliant impression of Huffington.

John the Libertarian on December 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I don’t think it fell flat as much as the room sort of got quiet because they think it’s true!

I agree the Huffy impression was good. That guy is cute, too bad he’s a liberal.

CCRWM on December 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

lansing quaker on December 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM

That was funny…

CCRWM on December 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The guy sucks; just like his boss. 5 minutes of my life gone down the toilet (couldn’t get thru all 7:41).

godhelpus on December 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Didn’t think he was funny, he should stick to speechwriting. Or not.

kg598301 on December 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM

In related news, the Vatican has just issued a jihad because of the TSA joke. Oh wait, no they didn’t . . . they’re not Muslim.

Apparently, while jokes about Islam are practically illegal in the WH, jokes from an official WH speech writer about Catholic priest are p.c. Where’s the outrage for tolerance?

geckomon on December 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM