Karl Rove to Palin and Huckabee: Stop whining about the Bushes already

posted at 4:15 pm on December 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, yet another clip of 2012 pot-stirring awesomeness from Laura Ingraham. First she had Palin on and pressed her not only on what Barbara Bush said but on Chris Christie’s dig at her on Leno. Then Huckabee came on and she started pushing his buttons about being looked down upon by the squishy egghead city slickers who don’t know the Real America the way he does. Now here’s Rove being nudged to defend the Bushes from the Huck/Palin populist onslaught. She might as well start calling these segments, “You Gonna Take That?” I can’t wait to see what she has planned for Mitt. Maybe she’ll surprise him by having Huck phone in while he’s on the air to call him a RINO plutocrat. Let the primary knife fights begin!

Incidentally, this isn’t the first time recently that Rove’s urged Sarahcuda and her supporters to grow a thicker skin about criticism. Whether he means that as earnest advice to her base or rather to stoke the sort of complaints aired here by Ace among conservatives outside her base, I leave for you to judge. Exit question: Is what he says near the end of the clip about having little influence over the primary really true? It’s certainly true that Beltway Republicans can’t keep anyone from running, but they can pull an awful lot of strings for a favored candidate in terms of raising money and generating media coverage. That was my point about Pence and name recognition last night. Voters will pick the nominee, but well connected party leaders can do an awful lot to shape the options from which they’ll do the pickin’.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Sarah and her crowd even cost us some seats that we should have had.

That’s more Vichy Republican talking points. If it weren’t for the Tea Party, there would be no Speaker Boehner or significant Republican gains in governorships and state legislative seats.

Sarah and the Tea Party saved the day. Don’t forget: the NRSC and John Cornyn — who couldn’t find his rear end with both hands — tried to ram Charlie Crist down the throats of voters in Florida. It was the blueblood countryclubbers that handpicked two self-funding turkeys (as opposed to self-basting turkeys) in California. They failed to vet one to discover an illegal alien problem and both campaigns were fully staffed with turkeys from other past losing GOP campaigns. All the national GOP money wasted in California could have made a difference in, say, Colorado or Washington. And having the likes of Karl (Turd Blossom Merchant) Rove running GOP candidates down like they are Democrats doesn’t help at all.

The hypocrisy of the Vichy Republicans is stunning. When their candidate prevails, they except the Reagan wing of the party to shut up and back the squish. But when the Reaganite candidate wins, the Vichy Republicans take their ball and bat and go home.

pdigaudio on December 5, 2010 at 1:55 AM

pdigaudio on December 5, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Yep, whether talking about Crist/Spectre/daddy’s lil appointee running as dems/indy/write in or Castle/daddy’s lil appointee(again) not backing the primary winner or Frum/Brooks/Noonan/baby Buckley/Powell actually voting for the obamanation…

Gohawgs on December 5, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Rove killed the GOP, but he’s done more to grow the Tea Party than Anyone, except possibly The Chairman.

james23 on December 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Professor Honeydew Melon should just be quiet for a while.

teacherman on December 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Old Folk Song lyrics:

A Rove-in, A Rove-in, For Rove-ing’s been my ru-i-in,

I’ll go no more A Rove-i-in with you fair maid”

To which I add:

“Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be,
There will be an answer, let it beeee.”

shmendrick on December 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Rove wouldn’t feel the need to defend the Bushes had not Barbara Bush condescendingly suggested that Sarah stay in Alaska.

Sarah handed the old gray mare her head by refering to her as a blueblood.

As a graduate of 3 state universities and someone who was born on the lower end of middle class, I relate to Sarah much more than I relate to the Bushes.

The Bushes need to go softly into the night.

And, no, Jeb is a nice guy, but I want no part of him on a national stage.

And Rove is a metrosexual troll whom I can’t stand.

He, too, needs to drift into obscurity.

molonlabe28 on December 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

molonlabe28 on December 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

+100

shmendrick on December 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I’m getting to the point where I’m thinking we should toss Karl Rove to the libs and be done with him. Karl Rove is making it his life mission to undermine popular Republicans and that sort of RINO-ish behavior isn’t acceptable.

R. Waher on December 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Great post from the Hillbillys’ daughter.

Who knew that she could read much less write a coherent sentence.

I thought the “Mainstream Media” and all the pundits always told us the truth. And the media and the talking heads are trying to educate us with the purest of intentions.

How did we know someone from Wasilla could have had any class.

Maybe we should take what ROVE and PARKER and NOONAN and SABATO and…and….and….and…tell us about Sarah Palin with a grain of salt?

I met so many interesting people on Dancing With The Stars. It was an incredible experience that I will cherish the rest of my life. I have explained my own motivations for accepting the invitation to dance, which included the simple fact that I was ready to get out of my comfort zone and try something new and challenging. I thought dancing would also be a great way to exercise–and it was. I thought it would boost my confidence–and it did. Notably absent from this calculus were political considerations. You want to talk politics, talk to my mom. You want to talk rumba, waltz and the beautiful Spanish paso doble, I’m your girl (but if you want to talk to the expert, call Mark).

So with this in mind I was somewhat taken aback to read about me in a blog by my friend and fellow contestant, Margaret Cho. In a post she called “Pistol Whipped” she wrote that “the only reason Bristol was on the show was because Sarah Palin forced her to do it. Sarah supposedly blames Bristol harshly and openly . . . for not winning the election,and so she told Bristol she “owed” it to her to do DWTS . . . .” Let me shamelessly steal from Saturday Night Live: “Really, Margaret? Really?”

I will give my friend credit for creativity, and extra points for getting so many “facts” wrong in so few sentences. Let me be blunt: my mom did not “force” me to go on DWTS. She did not ask me either. The show approached me. I thought about it. I made the decision. After first worrying for me in terms of being exposed to those who hate us for what we believe in, both my mom and my dad became my number one supporters. Anyone who watched the show could tell I performed better, and I felt better about myself, when they were in the audience. I wanted to make them both proud, but politics had nothing to do with it. Loving my parents had everything to do with it.

It saddens me that people would think that my mom would “blame” me for anything that occurred in the 2008 election–much less “harshly” and “openly.” I think that canard (there, I said it again), has been floating around since then also. I will set the record straight, though my mom already did in her bestselling book “Going Rogue”; there were a number of reasons President Obama won in 2008, but the primary reason was that the economy was starting to falter and the majority of voters thought Obama could do a better job than my mom and John McCain. It turns out, two years later, the majority of voters were wrong, but we can talk about that another time. The point is, I seriously doubt anyone who considers herself a student of American politics truly believes I impacted even one vote in that election.

There you have it. Why do I want to set the record straight? Because it is this type of hurtful and false narrative that people promote to make my mom look bad. For 20 years my mom had my back–and for the rest of my life I will have hers.

To my friend Margaret Cho, if you ever have a question, call me girlfriend. Don’t ever rely on “sources” who claim to know me or my family. You will be taken every time. And we need to talk. You say you “don’t agree with the family’s politics at all” but I say, if you understood that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence, you would embrace us faster than KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert.

P.S. If you want to baby-sit Tripp, I could use a night off.

Bristol Palin