Video: Obama/GOP Slurpee summit a big bag of nothin’

posted at 4:15 pm on November 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Lots of pleasantries but no progress on tax cuts, although Obama announced that he’s sending Geithner and OMB Director Jack Lew to meet with members of each party’s caucuses to try to hash out a deal. (Dave Camp will represent House Republicans.) Expect Dems to push a plan along the lines of what Schumer’s proposing, caving on tax cuts for the wealthy ($250,000) but insisting on tax hikes for the very wealthy ($1 million). Can Reid get two Republican votes for that in the Senate? Better yet, can he hold onto the votes of liberal Democrats? In case the answer to both questions is yes, prominent members of each party’s base are spending this Cooperation Day by reminding them that compromise is unacceptable.

One minor surprise about the meeting via Cantor afterwards: The One made a rare admission of error.

House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R., Va.) said he was pleased with the meeting and praised President Obama for striking a somewhat conciliatory tone. He said Obama admitted that he had not sufficiently reached out to Republicans in the previous two years and pledged to do more so in the future. “I was encouraged by the president’s remarks regarding his perhaps not having reached out enough to us in the last session, and that this meeting was the beginning of a series in which he hoped that we could work together in a different fashion for the benefit of the American people, given the problems that we face,” Cantor said.

At least one GOP leadership aide complained yesterday that Obama “forgot” to credit Republicans for proposing a federal pay freeze during the campaign, but McConnell et al. declined to mention it today. Which is the smart move, I think: The next two years will be largely an exercise in narrative-shaping for 2012, with Obama blaming Republican spitefulness for the logjam in Congress and the GOP blaming Obama’s refusal to heed the results of the midterms. The more civil they are to him publicly, the harder it’ll be for him and the media to frame their policy opposition as personal petulance rather than as a stand on principle. In fact, follow the links up top and you’ll find both Boehner and Obama in their statements after the presser emphasizing that there’s a reason we have a two-party system. That’s their way of reassuring their respective bases that they prefer gridlock to compromising on core philosophical differences, but it’s also Boehner’s way of preparing independents for another round of “party of no” whining from the left.

Comments

but is the car still in the ditch? Are the republicans getting in the back? Who has the keys today/???

ted c on November 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Obama: People did not vote for gridlock.

Actually, I did.

Except for the repeal of Obamacare, I hope they don’t do another d@mn thing.

Lily on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Predictable.

steebo77 on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Does that bottom vid look like they have WE WON look to it. :)

djohn669 on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Much as I expected.

OmahaConservative on November 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

BIG surprise. /sarc

Dark-Star on November 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I will love gridlock, but AFTER the tax cuts are made permanent and after that monstrosity erroneously called “healthcare” is repealed. Then yep, I want gridlock

clnurnberg on November 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Obama: People did not vote for gridlock.

Actually, I did.

Except for the repeal of Obamacare, I hope they don’t do another d@mn thing.

Lily on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Me, too.

Fallon on November 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Good grief, let’s all have a love fest… why do I have a feeling the GOP is going to cave again.. with squishy Cantor’s comments today on Obamacare I’m not feeling too confident in this bunch.

davek70 on November 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I ,for one,have never been a Cantor fan anyway.He looks chickified.If Im not mistaken,isn’t he up in 2012?

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I want to know why Boehner and Cantor are wearing adorable matching outfits. Is there something we should know, boys?

Fortunata on November 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

clnurnberg on November 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Yup.

OmahaConservative on November 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Obama: People did not vote for gridlock

Uh…actually…Yes. Yes we did. Many of us did.

powerpro on November 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Obama can do something with a big bag of something.

Maybe some of you know what I’m talking about.

catmman on November 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Too bad the GOP couldn’t have said, “yeah, we won. Time to cut your nutsack off.”

joeindc44 on November 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Dave Camp

On extending rates for different time periods for those above and below $200,000/$250,000 in income:
“Their plan to do so by ‘decoupling’ the rates, providing a longer extension for some than for others, however, is a terrible idea and a total non-starter”

Hope he sticks to his guns.

fourdeucer on November 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

ALL the house is up in 2012. But Cantor looks like he is too impressed with his face time with this worthless prez. I was not counting on him to be starstruck. I wonder how wussy he would become if Obama enlisted Lady Gaga or Kanye West?

clnurnberg on November 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM

how about the GOP counteroffer with bigger tax cuts and huge spending cuts? I mean huge, like cutting every fed worker pay/pension by 50% (hey, that’s what happened in the private sector)

joeindc44 on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

joeindc44 on November 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM
It is raining here in Ohio and my dog died a couple of days ago so whoever’s nutsack you go after,I’m all for it!

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

A compound word referring to equine excrement applies to Cantor’s comments.

It’s old-pals-together time in D.C. again. Bend over and get ready — Osama Obama and the self-anointed royalty in Congress are coming for your money and freedoms. Party affiliation doesn’t matter; whats ours is theirs, and they won’t rest until they get their pork-greased hands on it.

MrScribbler on November 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Yeah,can he even grow facial hair,I mean please,how about some real men up there?

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM

A compound word referring to equine excrement applies to Cantor’s comments.
Horse-apples won’t get deleted but doesn’t quite get that point across does it?

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Obama: People did not vote for gridlock.

Yes…yes I did.

jawkneemusic on November 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Obama: People did not vote for gridlock

The big liberal dream: Government must always be meddling in something.

Scrappy on November 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Hey the Polar Bear was great…

dangitt on November 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

they voted to stop you’re dumb butt, ober. So, ob’s right, in a way, for the first time in his life.

joeindc44 on November 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I have a grape slurpee. Thanks.

vcferlita on November 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Did OblathBlath have a lispth?
What about the Estate tax the most dastardly of all taxes?
Maybe we would be better off if instead of being all nicey nice and Bi-partisany the repubs would give the liar another fat lipsth!
We didn’t send ya there to pass the demrat agenda and if ya can’t remember that we will remind ya in 2012…Can’t come soon enough!

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Obama/GOP Slurpee summit a big bag of nothin’

More correctly: a Big Gulp of nothin’

ScottMcC on November 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Actually, I did.

Except for the repeal of Obamacare, I hope they don’t do another d@mn thing.

Lily on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Amen, sister, Amen!

lukespapa on November 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Mydear,I amsosorry.

katy the mean old lady on November 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Jeebus, you guys. I’m with AllahP, I think this is stratergery. After all, shutting down the government didn’t really work for Newt. And since Republicans don’t have a majority in the Senate, and Obama has his power of veto, they’re going to have to play “reasonable” to get anything done, or as “well, we tried, and we’re very reasonable” if Obama vetoes.

Fortunata on November 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Can we please get a little testosterone going? The GOP lineup there does not exactly give me a thrill up my leg.

DaydreamBeliever on November 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I’m with ya its cold and snowin in IA and I had to put my lab of 13 years down last week.
That lab was a lot more trustworthy, reliable, harder working, and effective than any Congress Critter or Senate Scumbag, but by the looks of this meeting the Repubs already been neutered!

Fightin Juan MCCain style and we know where that got old Juan!

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Mydear,I amsosorry.

katy the mean old lady on November 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Thanks,he would be 13 next year,left a huge hole:( so hence the negative comments.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Actually, I did.

Except for the repeal of Obamacare, I hope they don’t do another d@mn thing.

Lily on November 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Amen, sister, Amen!

lukespapa on November 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Realistically, repeal can’t come until 2012 when Republicans take back the Senate and the WH. Until then, the House can defund the sucker.

Rovin on November 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

…isn’t he up in 2012?

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

You’ll find the answer in the US Constitution.

ladyingray on November 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I voted for gridlock all the way to the budget: lock it all up tight so that each penny is bruised as it goes through the process and the beast is starved.

I don’t want ‘moderate’ government as it is too large to be moderate by any definition in the book.

Nor is ‘bi-partisan’ government any help at all as it just means the beast gets fed from everyone.

Stop the spending.

Cap the taxes.

Get rid of the tentacles of the beast before they engulf us all.

ajacksonian on November 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

It really bothers me that your first statement has the words tax cuts!!! There are no tax cuts on the table- only maintenance of the same tax rates or major increases. You have contributed to the leftist distortion of the language!

Buckeye Babe on November 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Oh,I feel for you,mine would be 13 next year.I told my husband these dogs are more faithful than most people now adays.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

When Cantor says that they won’t try to repeal the “cover pre-existing conditions part of the health care bill it may be a long two years. That is one of the most idiotic things in the health care bill and demonstrates a complete lack of even an elementary understanding of economics. The cover children through age 26 isn’t far behind.

duff65 on November 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Deepest sympathy, and prayers ascending for you.

OmahaConservative on November 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I lost all respect for Cantor when he gave into that wretch Debbie Wasserman Schultz and disparaged the House candidate who dressed up as a Nazi for his re-enactment group. My late brother was a history teacher and a re-enactor and they’re the most patriotic people you’ll find because they want to bring history to life.

TxAnn56 on November 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Deepest sympathy, and prayers ascending for you.

OmahaConservative on November 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words:)

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Man, the matching outfits are something else. I was kinda OK with the crying, (I mean it was weird, but I felt all that emotion myself)but the outfits, not so much.

And I also voted for gridlock. Don’t let them pass one more frickin’ thing on their agenda. I want federal agencies to be de-funded and no compromise on the tax cuts. If they wuss out, we all oughta be fightin’ mad.

DaBeesKnees on November 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I can see 2012 from my window.

tarpon on November 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM

If they wuss out, we all oughta be fightin’ mad.

DaBeesKnees on November 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Absolutely! Did they not hear us at all?

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Is there a Repub out there with a dam spine? Other than the lovely and gracious and right, Sarah?

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Other than Jindal,I don’t think so.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Huh? Sounds like a messaging problem again. Oh well..next message..2011..near the end.

Electrongod on November 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Once upon a time: it was the GOP that excoriated the left for waving the surrender flag. This summit is evidence that it is the GOP that surrendered -after they were handed the victory by the tea party. I predict a third party ofr socialism -there is no middle road now!

Don L on November 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Can Reid get two Republican votes for that in the Senate?

Lisa M will be one vote, guaranteed….

cmsinaz on November 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

very sorry for your loss, my puppy just turned 10 saturday…

cmsinaz on November 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I feel for you ohiobabe.

My all-time favorite bumper sticker ……..

The more people I meet the better I like my dog.

fogw on November 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

cantor just repeated dear leader’s oopsie with wolfie

cmsinaz on November 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Wonderful . . . now, continue all of the tax cuts and stop wasting our time taking our hard earned money. If Obama and the rest of the left want to support all their parasitic constituents then they can take them home with them.

rplat on November 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

the tax rate hike has never been up to the Rs…they don’t have the numbers. It has always been about how many Ds will hang with the Rs.

There is really very little leverage with our hyperpartison president…the MSM just has to hammer the narrative that the Rs blocked middle class tax cuts.

I think a compromise at a million is the best the can do…McCaskill was singing the same song yesterday…so it must be a done deal.

r keller on November 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Politicians always say things about how people don’t want gridlock or about how people want both parties to work together to solve problems and get things done, find common ground, etc.

Who are these people? I never hear anything like that. I say all that is BS. What I want is gridlock. I want them to stop trying to fix things. They have already done enough. The only thing they can do for me is to unwind and repeal some of the existing onerous regulations and taxes that are on the books. Or they can begin the process to rightsize the government to suit the current realities. Nobody can afford the solutions provided by the federal government.

Long live gridlock and rabid partisanship!

exceller on November 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I embrace being the party of HELL no!

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Other than Jindal,I don’t think so.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

What about Mike Pence? He seems to be showing up on the tube often these days. He shut Client No. 9 down nicely the other day over on cnn. He also did a nice enough job giving the keynote for the Federalist Society recently. I think America might like a solidly conservative Indianian. So far, I do.

redwhiteblue on November 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

What about Mike Pence
Yeah,I forgot about Pence,he’s a keeper too.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

The clip I heard was Cantor or Boehner,one of them,saying the polls said 70% want to work together and not repeal all of o/care?!what the heck,who did they poll,dems?! Give me a break.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM

The more people I meet the better I like my dog.

fogw on November 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Oh man,ain’t it the truth.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

very sorry for your loss, my puppy just turned 10 saturday…

cmsinaz on November 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Thanks and good luck with yours.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Gee, that was awful BIG of him, wasn’t it? The only people who were/are unaware of this are the Kool Aid drinkers who suppport Barry anyway.

Still wish Boehner had told Barry “Hey! We WON!”.

GarandFan on November 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

A sincere “sniff, sniff” to you! I dread the day! Labs– well dogs in general–but labs in particular (to me)are such special creatures!

Chewy the Lab on November 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

joeindc44 on November 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM

“RACIST!”

/MSM

fossten on November 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM

NO TAX INCREASES ! Obambi is still playing with them !

Sandybourne on November 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Chewy the Lab on November 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Mine was a lab cross I think,a pound puppy,best watch dog I’ve ever had.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Sorry for your loss every time I go to the window I still look to the kennel to see what he’s doin or if I go outside realize he won’t bark a greeting and a take me for a walk request, but I still have my Cocker and she’s our baby.

</3

dhunter on November 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Get-along GOP Leadership worships at the feet of the Progressive Messiah….

PRIMARY EVERYONE OF THE GOP “leadership” !!!!

PappyD61 on November 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Eric Cantor HAS GOT TO GO!!!!

PappyD61 on November 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM

WE WON

but we’re classy or something.

Classiness is over-rated.

SouthernGent on November 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Good grief! Now I’m on a cryin’ jag again.I’ve lost other animals,cats,parakeet even a pet rooster but this.This is too much.Anyway,thanks.Maybe after awhile I’ll get another.My problem is trying to compare every other pup to the one you lost.

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM

ohiobabe on November 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM

The old southern standby, Horsehockey! should get through.

massrighty on November 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

To those who mentioned Palin, Jindal, and Pence:

All good on offense.
Paul Ryan for details/defense.

This is the start of a good team.

Who else?

massrighty on November 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM

The notion of “gridlock” at this point is nothing more than a propaganda tool. Look, the moonbats still have majorities in both houses. They can pass anything they like, as they have with a lot of legislation already.

That doesn’t change till January. This meeting was a tactic and a waste of time and resources.

dogsoldier on December 1, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Hope the R’s don’t start trusting the Won. He’s a snake like all the other dems and whatever he says, expect the opposite action. This was a show so they could all smile at a camera and spout their talking points. We didn’t vote for compromise or getting along with the snakes.

Kissmygrits on December 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM