PPP poll: Romney voters a risk to switch to Obama if he loses nomination?

posted at 8:26 pm on November 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

I could have gone two ways with the headline here. One was to note that Palin’s now leading the field, albeit narrowly — 21 percent to Gingrich’s 19, Romney’s 18, and Huckabee’s 16. The other was to note that those darned RINOs in Mitt’s base just might be ready to bolt, Delaware-style, if their man’s not the pick in 2012.

I went with my gut that you guys might just be in the mood for an ol’ fashioned RINO stomp.

-Huckabee voters give Palin a 64/27 favorability, Gingrich a 53/23 one, and Romney a 59/26 one. That makes the net favorability for the other candidates an average +33.

-Palin voters give Huckabee a 52/19 favorability, Gingrich a 42/38 one, and Romney a 40/35 one. That makes the net favorability for the other candidates an average +14…

-Romney voters give Huckabee a 46/25 favorability, Palin a 46/36 one, and Gingrich a 41/42 one. That makes the net favorability for the other candidates an average +10.

The Gingrich and Huckabee voters are going to be fine if someone else gets nominated. They’re pretty happy with all the other candidates. The Romney folks perhaps are a greater concern for Republicans because some of them might actually vote for Obama if a Gingrich or Palin gets nominated. The Palin folks aren’t all that big on the other candidates either- the chances of them voting for Obama seem quite slim but might they sit home or throw some of their votes to a conservative third party candidate if Romney wins the nomination?

Yeah, that’s an interesting parallel in Romney fans and Palin fans, although for completely different reasons. Mitt’s probably cleaning up among Republican centrists who might otherwise consider voting for a strong Democrat. (Let’s call them “Kathleen Parker conservatives.”) Palin, on the other hand, commands a bunch of conservatives who would never vote Democrat and whose devotion to her might lead some to stay home if she’s not the pick. Although, contrary to the endless invective aimed at Huckabee among the Hot Air commentariat, Huck does darned well among her supporters. Consider that proof that social conservatism is more important to her base than some of us might have thought. In fact, Huckabee scores the highest favorable rating among Palin’s, Romney’s, and Gingrich’s supporters (aside from Palin, Romney, and Gingrich themselves, respectively). I wonder if that’s inducement enough to get him to consider running. If any one of them bows out early or chooses not to run at all, he’s primed to pick up a bunch of their supporters and, with them, a whole lot of momentum. (Although do note: Romney supporters marginally prefer Palin to Huckabee as a second choice, possibly because Mitt’s Mormon base skews conservative.) Are you ready for Huckabee/Christie 2012?

On the other hand, if Huck doesn’t run, Palin’s the big winner. She takes 34 percent of his supporters as a second choice compared to just 19 percent for Gingrich and 17 percent for Romney. That’s a considerable spread, to the point where I wonder if there aren’t some establishment anti-Palin Republicans out there suddenly getting very nervous at the thought that Huck might not run and that social conservatives will unite behind Palin. They’re going to need a stalking horse to bleed some of those votes away from her. But who, if not Huck? Santorum? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Oh noes!!! then we’s just hasta nominate him…..

ted c on November 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Don’t believe it. If Palin or Newt is nominated I’m not pulling the lever for Obama.

Ian on November 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I’ll switch to Obama if he’s nominated.

HondaV65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

So the scumbags would rather vote for a scumbag if their guy doesn’t win. Big shock!

Africanus on November 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Which is shameful, because Huckabee is perhaps the most nauseatingly phony potential candidate on the list.

Vyce on November 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Are you ready for Huckabee/Christie 2012?

No way – and I want to find out more about Christie before I make any suggestions at all.

disa on November 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Can they early vote now ’cause he won’t be getting the nomination.

SouthernGent on November 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I’d like to order off the menu, please.

Asher on November 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Did the Romnulans vote for McCain or Obama in 2008?

Fallon on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I’ll switch to Obama if he’s nominated.

HondaV65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Now that’s the True Conservative™!

Vyce on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Did Mitt commission this stupid poll himself? How about polling real people not focus groups. And while we’re at how about asking intelligent questions in the pols.

Tommy_G on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Is there any data in the poll to back this up or is PPP just making an assumption here?

Mark1971 on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM

This is all fine for conversation, but really meaningless now.

No actual announcements or campaigning has happened yet.

Much can, and will, change before it’s crunch time.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM

If Romney’s supporters vote for Obama if he’s not the nominee then this country has no hope.

OTOH, maybe a lot of them would stay home or vote for a John Anderson candidate (i.e. Bloomberg) which will lead to conservative victory a la Reagan.

davek70 on November 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM

There’s no such thing as a Kathleen Parker Conservative. Kathleen Parker is a moderate Democrat.

BKeyser on November 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM

RINO’s are just self centered “jack-asses” who turn tail and tell every one else to kiss it when their elitist choices are kicked to the curb. Big friggin shock there, what?

chickasaw42 on November 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I’ll switch to Obama if he’s nominated.

HondaV65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Can’t picture that in a million years, Honda. Sorry. :-)

joejm65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:37 PM

No big surprise. These same RINO’s threw a fit when Goldwater was nominated and refused to support him. Guess who led the RINO’s revolt were back then? Rockefeller and Romney (George, Mitt’s dad). Like father, like son.

yogi41 on November 30, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Romney, Daniels, Jindal are the best of the pick.

Gingrich and Palin are garbage.

Huckabee…I don’t know, I guess I’d hold my nose and vote for hm.

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

PPP poll: Romney voters a risk to switch to Obama if he loses nomination?

Well, I guess that validates quite a few peoples opinions around here about Romney! Not sure this is any big surprise that a lot of his voters would consider swinging left, they don`t have many steps to take.

bluemarlin on November 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

So, is this poll saying that Romney supporters are essentially all-but-extinct conservative Dems? If he isn’t nominated, then they’ll take their dolls and vote for Barry? Completely off the rails. Isn’t Laura Ingraham a Romney fan? Think she’d vote for Barry? Don’t. think. so.

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Weird. The only way I would EVER vote for The One is if Mittster won the nomination.

lutherjw on November 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I would never have imagined that those who would vote for a politician who created a socialized medicine program would then vote for another politician who created a socialized medicine program.

UNTHINKABLE.

MadisonConservative on November 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

*Not voting for Obama under any circumanstance. Ever. He’s a joke.

Maybe the Libertarians will put up a candidate that isn’t obsessed with Dope and being ignorant about terrorism and foreign policy…Yeah, right..

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Who needs them?

thebrokenrattle on November 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

You are garbage.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Not I*! RU Serious? It seems to me that if there’s anyone they won’t vote for it’s Huck, but that’s because he behaved like a jackass last time around.

*Although I have officially announced my support for Haley Barbour so for the sake of argument I’m not one of the “Romney folks” anymore.

Buy Danish on November 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Ugh, our choices for 2012 absolutely STINK.

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Tells me all I need to know about Romney and his followers.

rivlax on November 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Are you ready for Huckabee/Christie 2012?

No, but I’m ready for Christie/Huckabee.

bgoldman on November 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I’d vote for a ham sandwich before I’d vote for Teh Won. But I’d consider a third party candidate if Suckabee is nominated.

GnuBreed on November 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

GnuBreed on November 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Yep.

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM

They probably did last time too.

Says all I need to know about Romney.

stenwin77 on November 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I’ll switch to Obama if he’s nominated.

HondaV65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Hey Honda, nothing, nothing could compel me to vote for Barry, which is why I drive an Acura. (Yes, I’m aware they’re both manufactured by Honda)

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM

You are garbage.

Sarah Palin is a moron who I wouldn’t trust to be a garbage truck driver.

Gingrich is a blowhard hypocrite.

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM

What were independent voters talking about 2 years ago? What will they be talking about 2 years from now? If you have been suffering (which we all will) under Obama for 4 years and have no job and cashed in your 401k etc. How blind would you have to be to pull the 4 more years lever?

Don’t believe what anybody tells a pollster about what happens if they don’t get their favorite candidate. How many of us voted McCain vs voted for McCain in the primary? When faced with what we knew about Obama many conservatives like Rush, Mark Levin, Hannity, etc ALL got behind McCain. Don’t believe the Romney crowd when they say it either Romney or Obama! By 2012 Obama WON’T be an option if you aren’t a committed liberal.

Conan on November 30, 2010 at 8:45 PM

If “moderates” are going to vote for Obama over, well..anyone, then they aren’t “moderate”.

Vigilante on November 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I’m a RINO and hate mittens. If someone like Chris Christie (who it should be demanded that he be President) wins the nomination or future President Marco Rubio who will definitely be President in 2016 somehow wins, I doubt this will be an issue.

Illinidiva on November 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Sarah Palin is a moron who I wouldn’t trust to be a garbage truck driver.

Gingrich is a blowhard hypocrite.

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Ha, you are hilarious.

Sarah Palin is far smarter, more determined and more successful in life than you have ever been or ever will be.

GFYS.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

2008 losers, please go away.

Chazz on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Is it just me, or is Jeb Bush looking better and better for 2012? Bush/Bolton? I’d hit that in the ballot box. I bet a lot of folks would…

joejm65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Obviously, for the good of the Party, Romney should not run.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM

He’s entitled to his opinion, and it doesn’t make him garbage. Let’s leave the eating their own to the Democrats.

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

That’s too bad but it can’t be helped. Romney is terrible.

FloatingRock on November 30, 2010 at 8:48 PM

How about Bolton, Pence, Pawlenty, that short guy from the midwest, etc.?

LASue on November 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Somehow I don’t see Honda voting for O. I suspect he was kidding though I am sure his distaste for Romney is real.

CWforFreedom on November 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Can’t we just all agree that all of the candidates are garbage?

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

[therightleftwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM]

Whatever you say, champ.

Dusty on November 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

GFYS.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM

You betcha! You sure refudiated him.

amerpundit on November 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

joejm65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

A buy on Bolton and selling Jeb Bush! Just don`t think I can say I would pull that lever for him right now if ever.

bluemarlin on November 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Why don’t you tell him that?

I’m sick of it. Anybody who says Palin is a moron, is themselves a moron who doesn’t know sh!t and insists on demonstrating it.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Of the people on the list, the only one I would vote for in a primary would be Palin. However, in the general election I will vote against Obama, which means of course, voting for someone I’m not crazy about. I can understand someone not liking someone so much that they refuse to vote but to vote for Obama instead is societal suicide.

Rose on November 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Romney voters a risk to switch to Obama if he loses nomination?

Telling, that.

Rae on November 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM

You betcha! You sure refudiated him.

amerpundit on November 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

It is just the truth, that’s all.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Rae on November 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Yea, that he would have the easiest time winning against Obama if he is drawing some of Obama’s supporters.

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Ha, you are hilarious.

GFYS.

[/quote]

Okay…good for her. At least I’m not making a joke out of my party and myself in front of the whole nation. I win.

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

You betcha! You sure refudiated him.

amerpundit on November 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Ouch.

MadisonConservative on November 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Why don’t you tell him that?

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I didn’t tell him that because he was venting and expressing his opinion. He didn’t single you out or call you garbage.

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM

[LASue on November 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM]

I’ve heard of the short guy from the Midwest, but who are those other ones?

Dusty on November 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Obomney supports forcing people to purchase health insurance by threat of fines or imprisonment, and regulating/licensing the crap out of private gun ownership.

He won’t get my vote.

Bruce MacMahon on November 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Hopefully we will not have another candidate on the Republican side chosen by the media.

mobydutch on November 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Rommney voters going to Obama? now thats Karl Rove talking right there. In other words its a meaningless diversion.

exceller on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Allah -

You’re one of the few Mittbots on this site. If Mitt falters, whom would you vote for: Sarah or Barack?

bw222 on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Yeh, I’m one of your damned RINO’s who helped elect Mark Kirk, who voted against earmarks in his first Senate vote.

Don’t even start with that again. Romney is smart enough to know the difference between running, winning, and governing in a liberal/left state, and running, winning, and governing a center/right country.

Get over the fact that most R’s don’t give a rat’s ass about extreme right “family values”: it’s just the morality police to us, being extra nosy and telling us how to live our lives. We raise our families just fine thank you and butt out.

MarkT on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

bluemarlin on November 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Jeb -successful and popular Governor from an important electoral state. Bolton – foreign policy cred and a killer ‘stache that conveys Cheney-type evil. Show me a better ticket and I’ll support it. In the mean time, just dare to dream…

joejm65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Tells you a lot about Romney voters and pretty much all you need to know about Romney.

JellyToast on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

No, just everyone here.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

If you cannot even concede, despite your opinion that she might not be your choice, that she isn’t a moron and has accomplished a lot so far, then you are just operating on false assumptions.

Consider it an act of compassion to try and let you know that.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Then it’s over already, because there is no way in hell Romney is going to win the nomination.

Thanks RINOs!

Rebar on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Wait, when did we switch to talking about Obama? You left off the World also!

bluemarlin on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Proves that RINOS are small tent people.

Amadeus on November 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

This place resembles the Primate Exhibit at the local zoo at times.

darwin-t on November 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Really wish Jindal would run. Rs will likely snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with this lineup.

Chazz on November 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM

joejm65 on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Well one thing is for sure, you might actually shut the press up if Jeb jumps in. Between a Bush and Palin in the running they might just go apoplectic! Could be fun to watch.

bluemarlin on November 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Try not to show how young and foolish you are. You are doing no one any favors by repeating the left’s talking points about Sarah Palin. Stop thinking she is Tina Fey and try to get past her Alaskan accent. She is a self made politician who rose to the highest political office in her state. You may not like her but she is not “garbage” not is she making a joke out of her party. She has energized the party in ways you apparently cannot or will not understand. She’s not perfect. No one is, but the Republicans can and may do a lot worse for a 2012 presidential candidate.

Fallon on November 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

MarkT on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM
The fact that the Rino’s enjoy voting to put the government into our daily business with more controls, more spending, and more taxes is enough to say thank you and butt out.

mobydutch on November 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

[JellyToast on November 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM]

That’s pretty much how I feel.

Dusty on November 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

=====================================
Its always RINO STOMP time,STOMP EARLY..STOMP LATER….

but STOMP OFTEN!!(sarc).

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM

MarkT on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Really?-do show me the polls that support your contention.

CWforFreedom on November 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM

MarkT-please do define “extreme” as well.

CWforFreedom on November 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

But, but, but Uncle Rush says he’d rather have a liberal Democrat than a putrid horrible moderate Republican.

Christine Oddonnell can win!

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

The last time that I actually voted for a Republican presidential candidate, not against the Demoncrat candidate, was Reagan. I don’t know if I can hold my nose and vote for another RINO. Would never vote for Obama but I may just leave the top of the ticket blank if they nominate Romney.

farright on November 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Grrrr…

NOR is she…

Fallon on November 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Its always RINO STOMP time,STOMP EARLY..STOMP LATER….

but STOMP OFTEN!!(sarc).

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM
Maybe we could make the RINO STOMP a new dance or something.

mobydutch on November 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

CWforFreedom on November 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM

You’re faith is misplaced. Honda is EXACTLY the sort who would “take his ball and go home” if his precise candidate isn’t the nominee. He’s a true believing, DeMint koolaid-drinker who buys into the whole “better a Democrat than a non-true conservative Republican” nonsense.

anXdem on November 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Ironic.

Vyce on November 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

bw222 on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I am sure he would vote for Palin. Here is what you Palinites don’t understand. You can either piss off the moderates or the ultra conservatives. Now when it comes time to vote and its Republican candidate X against Obama, who do you think is more likely to hold their nose and vote against Obama and for a Republican candidate that they don’t like? Moderate republicans if given a choice between Palin and Obama will be split massively, some voting for Obama, some for Palin and some staying home entirely. Ultra Conservative republicans, if given a choice between Romney or someone like him and Obama, will MOSTLY vote for Romney simply as a vote AGAINST Obama and some may stay home.

All I am saying then, is that its much easier to win when you can draw moderate conservatives, because the ultra conservatives like Palin supporters are going to vote republican no matter what, simply as a vote against Obama.

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I’m not getting where PPP gets this idea that Romney voters would move to Obama. I did a search of “Obama” and other than that vague, unsubstantiated statement (which gives us no clue as to how big “some” is) he appears nowhere in the poll. They themselves say:

If Mitt Romney doesn’t run the biggest beneficiary, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, would be Sarah Palin. 27% of Romney supporters say she is their second choice, followed by 23% who say Huckabee and 14% who say Gingrich

BTW, I love how commenters are blaming Romney for this poll as if it’s an extortion attempt to vote for him or else.

P.S. Go Barbour!

Buy Danish on November 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM

NO to 2008 Mutiny

NO to scare tactics

No to 2012/2008 Redo ClusterFark.
————————————-
Yes to the Republican/Tea Party A’Okyed
Presidential Candidate,that the base will
support,and rally around!!

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Considering the premise of the article, there is an odd omission:

[Candidate's] voters give Huckabee a ?/? favorability, Gingrich a ?/? one, and Romney a ?/? one.

…and Obama a ?/? one?

DaveS on November 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM

If my candidate doesn’t get the nomination I’m going to throw myself on the ground and hold my breath until I turn blue!!!

I believe my conservative candidate is so needed right now that I will fight tooth and nail for him/her! And if the republican I want to win the nomination doesn’t win the nomination I will then vote for the extremely liberal Obama!! THAT is how deep my political values run!!

Ampersand on November 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM
======================================
Maybe we could make the RINO STOMP a new dance or something.

mobydutch on November 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

mobydutch:Good point,got till 2012 for a Kick*ss Tune!!:)

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Its always RINO STOMP time,STOMP EARLY..STOMP LATER….

but STOMP OFTEN!!(sarc).

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM

You Forgot, STOMP DOWN HARD!

farright on November 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM

canopfor on November 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Sure, the base will rally around and support Palin, but what about the other 70-75% of the electorate??

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Good! Hope they do! Neither Romney OR anyone who would vote for hiim belongs in the GOP. Throw them out!

rayra on November 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Expect more of these phony Boolian hypotheses and specious threats as we get closer to crunch time. It’s just one more Palinphobic feint.

Palin will win because she’s a better, brighter and more inspiring candidate for a troubled time. She is, indeed, the one candidate “of the time.” In the end, she’ll win over Romney supporters, and even pull a record number of democrats, gays, Jews and women to her side.

rrpjr on November 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Castle, Pas deux!

technopeasant on November 30, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Cutting off one’s nose to spite their face.

Scrappy on November 30, 2010 at 9:12 PM

thphilli on November 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

You are incorrect in that assumption.

Look at the 2008 data, it is all there to see.

Less people voted in the ’08 election than voted in the ’04 election, while the Democrats increased their turnout.

Where was the difference? How did Obama flip those red states blue?

Conservatives pissed at McCain not showing up.

Conservatives are tired of holding their noses.

Brian1972 on November 30, 2010 at 9:12 PM

It can’t be either Romney or Palin. Both represent different wings of the party and both turn the other wing off mightily. I’d vote for Romney, but no way in hell will I ever for Palin. I won’t vote Obama, but I’ll either go third party or skip the race.

There’s got to be a compromise candidate like Mitch Daniels or Tim Pawlenty. Both are boring as hell, so not them precisely, but someone like them that has the potential to unite Republicans.

AngusMc on November 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Yeah, that seems like a winning strategy!

therightwinger on November 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

MarkT on November 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Seriously. What is an extreme right “family value” and how does it offend you?

BTW – I helped elect Kirk as well. “None of the above” was not an option.

Fallon on November 30, 2010 at 9:14 PM