Goodnight Sweet Prince

posted at 8:01 am on November 28, 2010 by Jazz Shaw

If progressive pundits are to be believed, the only thing Washington cares about is taking care of the fat cats on Wall Street. But apparently their influence does not extend across the river into New Jersey. This sad item crossed the news desk over the weekend… Prince Chunk has died.

BLACKWOOD, N.J. – An enormously fat cat named Prince Chunk who became famous when he was found wandering in New Jersey after his owner lost her home to foreclosure has died.

Prince Chunk skyrocketed to fame in August 2008 after the Camden County Animal Shelter, which took him in, reported that he weighed 44 pounds, just shy of a world record.

Aside from the cat’s enormous (though not world record) size, the only point of interest to this story is that it highlights an infrequently reported side effect of the housing crisis. Many of the people losing their homes are pet owners who find themselves forced to move into apartments which do not allow dogs or cats. This leads to the pets being dumped at shelters already facing huge issues with funding and overcrowding.

The cat’s owners took advantage of the pudgy pussycat’s fame to draw attention to this problem and help folks out by establishing the Prince Chunk Foundation. They provide assistance with free pet food and veterinary services for homeowners in distress, in case you want to help them out.

Comments

Of course Puss died of heart disease. She didn’t have 0bamacare…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM

How catty of you ; )

publiuspen on November 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM

publiuspen on November 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM

MEEEEOOOOWWW!!!

{Purrs contentedly}

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM

What is left out of the story is that if the original owner of Prince Chunk had not fed him so much, they may have been able to pay their mortgage!

BierManVA on November 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

More evidence of the goodness of people and the enterprising spirit, that the government and those in power would squash like a bug for getting in the way of government ‘charity.’

Cheesecakecrush on November 28, 2010 at 8:23 AM

obomanomics took a chunk out of our world …

moyeti on November 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM

A private enterprise, solving a societal problem? How can this work?

massrighty on November 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Congress is also chock full ‘o fat cats…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Why was the owner of this cat not thrown in jail for animal abuse?

Elizabetty on November 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I bet if it were congressional fat cats being removed we could never say, good bye sweet prince …

moyeti on November 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Just got moderated, for a snippet of the post by Mr. Shaw, and a comment about private charity providing a solution to a problem.

massrighty on November 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

44 pounds? Wow, think of how many DOGS you could feed with that!

Tony737 on November 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I believe he threw the cat out on the streets in an attempt to slim him down. Couldn’t have been the fact that he lost his house and had no where to live. Gee, people should think ahead and make sure the cat is provided for, less we put them in jail.

moyeti on November 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Does the phrase “Eaten out of house and home” ring a bell?

michaelo on November 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Yes, Mr. Hitchens…

… Cats do go to heaven!

Seven Percent Solution on November 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I blame GW Bush.

trubble on November 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM

If only Moochelle could have fed it from her organic garden of Eden, it would still be alive.

wheelgun on November 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Too much punkin’ pie…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

This is a great silly thread-start to Sunday morning. Thanks, Jazz, now off to adult Bible Study and Divine Service with the Eucharist.

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:55 AM

My beast of a fat boy weighs 22 lbs, and I can’t IMAGINE doubling that to 44! RIP, Prince Chunk.

anniekc on November 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM

BierManVA on November 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

FTW!

steveegg on November 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

For all the cattiness of recent posts it figures that there would be one with a real cat involved.

Just remember when you see a can of ‘Chunky Kitty Stew’ in the petfood aisle to check its ingredients.

ajacksonian on November 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Wow…it looks like Jazz Shaw is covering the important events here at HA – i cannot believe that some one/any one other than AP would post about…. a fat cat.

nagee76 on November 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Poor kitty :(

American Elephant on November 28, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I miss that fellow that used to post here – what was his name? Ned Morrison, in think.

KS Rex on November 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I’m sure he Paul the Psychic Octopus are having a great time in the afterlife. Unless of course Prince Chunk ate him, then not so much.

vcferlita on November 28, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Tony737 on November 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Beware the ban hammer.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

My neighbor overfeeds his dogs which pisses me off to no end. I have spoken to him about it and asked him to speak to his vet but to no avail. He’s taking years off the dogs lives. Plus, all the illnesses they suffer because of obesity.

Blake on November 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM

You know his political party ’cause they don’t mention it in the article.

Aardvark on November 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Blake on November 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I agree, I don’t understand the “loving” them to death attitude. The dogs would love a walk or a game of fetch daily also.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM

It’s good to see Jazzidiot stick to what he knows.

Basilsbest on November 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Aww. My nineteen year old cat Oscar passed away on my lap a little over a year ago. I still cry thinking about it. Spent 2/3 of my life with that cat around, and we bonded the way only pet owners can know about. He was a very special kitty.

Three months later I went to the local shelter and went with the first cat I saw, and she’s turned out to be fantastic too. Cuddles up by my head every night.

This is def. a good reminder too…it’s not often reported how many homeless cats and dogs are just left on their own somewhere. Sad. Sometimes helping out is as easy as picking up a couple extra cans of food to place in the shelter box in a lot of supermarkets.

Or better yet, if you can, adopt a pet! They will be your best friend for life.

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Or better yet, if you can, adopt a pet! They will be your best friend for life.

Jetboy I agree 100% with you. My best buddy, Trevor, died on Thanksgiving day in his sleep wrapped in his blanket upon his favourite chair.

I found him 10 years ago laying in the middle of the street having been struck by a car. He really was a true friend.

Britcop on November 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM

And now, my impression of a typical HotAir commenter with a stick up his ass!

I can`t believe we`re talking about this garbage! We have Iran! North Korea! OBAMACARE! This site has totally gone downhill and it`s pathetic! I`m out of here!

*ahem* Thank you *bows*

ThePrez on November 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM

ThePrez on November 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM

And there all a bunch of p*ssies who need to be framed.

Electrongod on November 28, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Pets are such a blessing. I can’t imagine how anybody could abandon one.

My beautiful dog went blind for the last couple years of his life but was just as active and loving as ever. One evening he escaped from our fenced backyard, and we searched and couldn’t find him. It was freezing cold and he couldn’t see where he was going so we were terrified that he was going to fall into a hole or get hit by a car or, if we couldn’t find him in time, freeze to death.

That night was the first snowfall of the year and after a couple of hours we were able to pick up his pawprints in the snow and found him a few streets over. It was a Christmas miracle!

True story :) I miss him.

CityFish on November 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM

You have to wunder if the cat’s 44 lbs how big is the previous owner, calling Allah.

heshtesh on November 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM

On more reason not to own pets in the first place.

Warner Todd Huston on November 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM

“…I`m out of here! … ThePrez on November 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM”

DLTDHYOTWO.

KS Rex on November 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I don’t have any pets right now and I don’t like it. The Husband is still grieving for our 18 year old Dalmatian.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM

JetBoy,CityFish
Thanks for sharing your touching personal stories.

nagee76 on November 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Or better yet, if you can, adopt a pet! They will be your best friend for life.

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

yeppers! All mine are rescues. They love you as much or more for rescueing them. I am thinking about adopting a “younger” dog to play with the older guy we adopted a year ago (who still thinks he is a puppy). I have a older adopted cat.. he is almost 10 and doesn’t act it. I have a 2 yr old “kitteh” named appropriately TURD. You can figure out why, but she had a tragic past of being a breeder since she was 5 months. She has had 2 sets of kittens but she is so tiny they stuck her in a pound.

I totally agree with you on rescues.

upinak on November 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The owner should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals by overfeeding this poor cat to such an extent.

Birdseye on November 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Congress is also chock full ‘o fat cats…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

And hopefully with the same 10 year shelf life.

Amendment X on November 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It took me three years after my 16 year old cat Duncan died before I could go to an animal shelter without just sitting in the car and bawling, and then heading straight home without going in. I knew him for twice as long as I had known my father.

But when I finally could go in, I found my sweet Irina. A year later I took in playful Sabine, a kitten a coworker had found but was allergic to. They’re both amazing cats.

James on November 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM

DLTDHYOTWO.

KS Rex on November 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

You didn`t read the whole post……. Did you? It was a joke.

ThePrez on November 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Poor kitty. I adopted a cat named punk’n from the shelter – HUGE and very orange. It’s nearly impossible to put a cat on a diet, but I’m trying.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Why was the owner of this cat not thrown in jail for animal abuse?

Elizabetty on November 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM

You sound like a democrat….

theaddora on November 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Cats are a whole other ballgame. It’s hard to make them exercise. Or do anything for that matter. My aunt had a cocker spaniel that was so huge that the vet put him on a can of pumpkin a day. That’s it. Just a can of pumpkin. I must ad that I saw no success in the treatment.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM

It’s nearly impossible to put a cat on a diet, but I’m trying.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I had some success following my vet’s advice: move where the food dish is located to on top of something so that the cat has to jump to get to it. In addition, measure out the food (look at the recommended servings on the packaging; usually the chart include recommended servings for healthy weight loss) and do not give him/her anything else. My kitty had a significant (~1.5 lb) weight loss over the course of a year using that strategy.

Y-not on November 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Eat the damn cat.

kurtzz3 on November 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Maybe I missed a major hot air announcement, but whats up with all of these terrible guest posts?

NoStoppingUs on November 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Of course Puss died of heart disease. She didn’t have 0bamacare…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM

She probably DID have 0bamacare, where Death Panels can decide that fat cats are not worth saving!!

landlines on November 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM

..and one guesses that this is an exceptionally slow news day for Mr Shaw.

Beyond tedious!

Sincerely,

A devout cat-hater.

The War Planner on November 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Eat the damn cat.

kurtzz3 on November 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Ok That was almost funny.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM

But. Dogs are carnivores? How could they survive on pumpkin?

Y-not on November 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Tried that. She ate the dogs food and the dog let her. It’s a messed up world.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Heh, tell me about it…My “new” cat Cassie put on 4 pounds in three months with me. Then I took her to my vet, and she said the cat was definitely overweight. She suggested one small can of food daily, and maybe a tablespoon of dry food. My “old” cat Oscar was like me…ate like a pig all day, but never gained an ounce.

I did put her on that low-fat, high-protein “weight formula” dry stuff. And went from two cans to one a day. Now she lost 2 pounds, but as with anyone, it’s a lot easier to put the pounds on then take them off.

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Dog is now on a diet, too, btw. they were enabling each other.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

My other cat did his best to out weigh her – predator dominance thing aparently – and he did pack on about a pound or two but he’s too active. Burns it off. Punk’n definitely wins the size dominance war in the house.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 12:14 PM

St. Peter’s gonna get a hernia.

profitsbeard on November 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Aw. This is a sad story. I’m just happy for Chunk that he ended his life in a loving home, well-cared for.

Y’all are being too hard on Jazz. Yeah, he’s a RINO, and I personally hate his anti-Palin screeds, but he’s a good writer. Be kind: It’s the holidays. AP and Ed deserve some time off.

But. Dogs are carnivores? How could they survive on pumpkin?

Actually I think dogs can do OK without meat. It’s cats that are true carnivores. Can’t put them on a veggie diet. That said, we had a cat once who was obsessed with baby green peas. She would walk onto your plate to eat them if you let her.

NoLeftTurn on November 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I lost my cat Lexie about a year ago as well. She was nearly 18 and the best cat I’ve ever had. Got her in college. Actually, she was my then-boyfriend’s cat and we lived together in school. When we split up, I traded him all of our furniture (except for one dresser) for the cat. I got the best end of the deal. She traveled all over the country with me, lived in ten different places in her lifetime, and she was the most loyal companion ever. A great lap cat. She even won over my grandmother who always hated cats. Putting her down was bar none the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I still have her boyfriend, a brown Aby named Kafi. He’s getting up there as well. When he goes, I will be cat-less for the first time in my life.

Fortunately, I still have the dogs. Both are rescues (as were the cats). I’m glad they’re here b/c if not for their daily walks, I would get no exercise. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on November 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for this thread. Some of us need a break now and then to appreciate the little things that matter, too … even when they are fat cats who fell on hard times.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM

NoLeftTurn on November 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM

That is one weird cat.

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

All of my cats have been plucked up off the street, and they’ve been sweethearts without exception. My newest is a skinny boy, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Wow. With a cat that size your could reverse the order of the Catdogen. Stuff the dog inside the bacon wrapped cat.

BL@KBIRD on November 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

It’s not necessarily an owner’s fault if a cat is overweight. We have 24 now, a mixture of rescues and semi-domesticated ferals. All of them eat the same diet and range from slim to normal to sleek. All of them save one, who we call “Cat Loaf” and he has a passing resemblance to good old Prince. It’s just the way some of them are wired.

RushBaby on November 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM

God bless the animal lovers of the world.

The fact that so many pets are abondoned by their owners is a huge, sad problem. Now, more than ever.

Liberals do not corner the market on helping these animals. There are many Conservatives such as myself who do all they can to find homes for abandoned and unloved pets.

Goodnight, sweet, chubby Prince!

Gob on November 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Two pounds is great in the cat world. My son’s cat use to play fetch with a little stuff mouse. It was so cute except at 5 a.m. when he would sit on your chest at “playtime”.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Bush lied. Kitty died.

Weebork on November 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Those who give dogs/cats pumpkin…be careful. It is a great remedy for BOTH constipation and diarrhea in dogs and cats.

Cats don’t eat it so easily, but dogs do. Big dogs, give a heaping spoonful…it will clear up the problem ASAP. Small dogs, be careful with the dosage…a bit too much and diarrhea can come on like a bastard.

Gob on November 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM

landlines on November 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Congress beware…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM

BrideOfRove on November 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Just switch the food to Science Diet PRESCRIPTION to R/D (or W/D). It works. Loaded with fiber, so you’ll have to scoop more, but if owners are diligent, kitty can loose weight.

Gob on November 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I lived in a condo in San Diego, so I got a little black manx kitty who I named Bear-Bear. Best and most beloved pet I ever owned in my life. She came to me when I whistled, like a dog. She had to have been part rabbit or kangaroo, ’cause when I had the front door open, she would leap up on the top and perch there to look out at the world through the security door, and I used to go spend weekends with a relative in a house, and take her along. She loved riding in the car and would gulp the air as we drove along watching people. She taught my cousin’s cat to get up on the fireplace mantle, and one time a friend came over with his black lab, so Bear jumped from the mantle and landed on the lab’s back and sung her claws into Spike. Hog Puss (cousins 35 lb. huge black cat) followed suit and chased poor Spike into the kitchen while Bear rode shotgun. She lived to seventeen, and died of a stroke. How I loved that amazing cat…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

From the article:

“Prince Chunk’s adoptive owner, Vince Damiani of Blackwood, said the white tabby died in his sleep Sunday. He was about 10 years old. Damiani said a veterinarian had diagnosed the cat with heart disease.”

Maybe I’m nitpicking here but the big cat is NOT a Tabby. A Tabby is a fur pattern, not the type or sex of a cat. Look it up. I have three cats and one is a Maine Coon who IS a Tabby.

greasywrench on November 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Out dog is a rescue but the cat was from a friend. For those of you who may have complained about pets as not being as important as N. Korea, or deficits or what have you. Please remember that animals are God’s creatures too and as such just as deserving as we in His eyes, I suspect.

jeanie on November 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

jeanie on November 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

They sure are tasty. I’m gonna’ eat a hunk of cow this afternoon.

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Looks like some cheesy CGI comedy pud. You’d probably get deep vein thrombosis if that cat sat on your lap.

Sharke on November 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Headline – I loled.

RedNewEnglander on November 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM

jeanie on November 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Then you read a different bible…animal sacrifices, okay, human sacrifices not so good.
BTW, God gave them to us, so we can do what we want with them…

right2bright on November 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

right2bright on November 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Well I want to love them and squeeze them and call them George.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Cats owned by others are the ones I like.

Good luck Prince Chunk. You’ll be missed by your owners and people like me.

BowHuntingTexas on November 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

One of my two cats is obsessed with mint. She’ll stick her face right inside my mouth if I let her, trying to smell the mint on my breath after I brush my teeth, and if I leave a pack of gum laying around she’ll lick it.

American Elephant on November 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Ever hear of a dude named Jesus?

American Elephant on November 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

BTW, God gave them to us, so we can do what we want with them…

right2bright on November 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I’m pretty sure my God expects me to treat all of His creatures with kindness, not just “do what I want with them.”

NoLeftTurn on November 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Or better yet, if you can, adopt a pet! They will be your best friend for life.

JetBoy on November 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I agree. I still miss Shady(Shadrach Binyamin MEOWskowitz) after 2 1/2 years and couldn’t imagine life without Sasha(Sasha CATerina CATova) and Sheldon.
They understand me better than most people do.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM

We got our older Dalmatian from Animal Control and found that she had a tough case of heart worms (probably why she was abandoned) anyway, we nursed her back to health and she lived to be eighteen and she seemed very grateful. Smartest dog I have ever owned.

Cindy Munford on November 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

My son is about to ‘lose’ and 18 year old gray/white tuxie ‘Ziggy’ that my ex and I adopted from a shelter when he was 8 weeks old.
Since my son is 16 this’ll be his first close encounter with death. I wish he wasn’t going to have to go through this journey.
Zig’s a great cat.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Congress is also chock full ‘o fat cats…

OmahaConservative on November 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Difference is nobody would give a f**k if the fat cats in Congress all died.

austinnelly on November 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM