Thanksgiving NFL open thread

posted at 9:00 am on November 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Happy Thanksgiving to all Hot Air readers!  I hope that you are all enjoying this North American tradition going back almost four full centuries with friends and family.  I’m thankful to be with my family in Southern California celebrating the holiday, although I’ll miss my Minnesota family this year.  I’m also grateful for the wonderful family here at Hot Air, including readers like the blogger at American Elephants, who sent the photoshopped image I used for this post that depicts what our pilgrim radio-show hosts may have looked like back when this holiday started, or something.  That picture was originally taken at the Minnesota state fair, but the drumsticks look like they came from the Renaissance Faire.

Of course, Thanksgiving needs turkeys, and the NFL has graciously presented us with three of them on Thanksgiving.  Since I went 6-0 in last week’s picks , which I believe is the first time I’ve picked all six correctly in three seasons of writing these open threads, I’ll make predictions in all three of today’s games.  We’ll get an early test of my season-to-date record of 39-28:

• Patriots at Lions – Who says that turkey is the traditional dish on Thanksgiving?  The NFL serves up Detroit as sacrificial lambs every year — but this time they’ve outdone themselves by scheduling New England as the Lions’ opponent.  The only mystery here is when the Pats will pull Tom Brady to let him rest up.  I’ll guess midway through the third quarter in a 35-10 rout.
  • Saints at Cowboys – It’s true that Dallas has played much better in its past two games under Jason Garrett.  However, the Saints are also playing better after getting off to a rough start in their first-ever season as league champs.  They play well on the road (3-1) while Dallas hasn’t played well at home (1-4).  This may actually be a pretty good game, but the Saints win it with their good defense and good enough offense, 28-20.
  • Bengals at Jets – Cincinnati has done so well this year that their premiere wide receiver has taken to calling one of the QBs in his division “soft.”  Oh, wait — the Bungles are 2-8, and Terrell Owens has, er, how many Super Bowl rings?  That would be zero, mainly because he’s made every team for which he played a collective head case.  Big Ben Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings and his team is 7-3.   TO gets to put his mouth in action against the 8-2 Jets today, which is about the only thing that’s working on the Bungles squad.  Jets should dispense with the suspense and beat the Bengals, 31-14.

Comments

Why must we suffer this crap every yr. How about coming up with a new formula for having different teams play on THNKSGIVING DAY. Being a Hoosier and COLTS fan I don’t even care if it’s not my team but give us something besides this crap every yr.

PTN 39 on November 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We are so blessed.

publiuspen on November 25, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I had a great Thanksgiving memory of my grandmother this morning because she so despised the Detroit Lions.

myrenovations on November 25, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Flip the Pats/Lions and Saints/Cowboys scores and you got it. The Lions are kings of losing close ones, and the ‘Pokes are about to come back to Earth.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

steveegg on November 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

dogsoldier on November 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Why do we have to suffer with Detroit every year? That’s just wrong. I’d rather watch the Seahawks!

ladyingray on November 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Rather than the football games, I will be watching the Thanks Giving Marathon on The Military Channel. Football lost its luster after Tom Landry was retired, but a main battle tank is alway a thing of beauty. But what do I know, I am just a Dumb Ass Tanker who played with M60A3 tanks.

DAT60A3 on November 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all; especially all of our service members who are away from home and family.

DAT60A3 on November 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all at Hot Air.

OldEnglish on November 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM

ladyingray on November 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Come on now, we’ve got to let the Lions have SOMETHING. No one would ever watch them if it wasn’t for Thanksgiving.

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I am thankful for Hot Air and that my team isn’t playing today. GREAT PICTURE, MR. MORRISSEY!!!!!

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Detroit is actually pretty good this year. Well, compared to past seasons. Should be a good game, they’ll play the Patriots tough.

darwin on November 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM

ladyingray on November 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Because, the Lions management were the same sort of visionaries as Tex Shram and saw the potential of having a nationally televised game on the day most Americans are relaxing around the house looking for something to do.

I don’t follow the game much these days, when was the third Thanksgiving day game added?

cozmo on November 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all at HotAir. I’m so very grateful to live in America where we enjoy freedoms that most of the world can only imagine. I’m eternally grateful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who’s preparing a world that I can’t even imagine.

Mojave Mark on November 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Happy Thansgiving everyone and may God always bless you all and your families.

Elisa on November 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM

The only mystery here is when the Pats will pull Tom Brady to let him rest up. I’ll guess midway through the third quarter in a 35-10 rout.

One of the pundits in Boston said yesterday he would likely be pulled earlier than that. And one said he might not even start! That guy had been drinking though.

The Saints-Dallas game could be interesting-the Saints lost for the first time last year at Dallas, and the new Cowboys coach started his career playing for the Saints so may want to prove something.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that NFL Network will do tonight’s game without announcers?

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Why do we have to suffer with Detroit every year?

ladyingray on November 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Because it is turkey day.

bayview on November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Why do we have to suffer with Detroit every year?

ladyingray on November 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Because it is turkey day.

bayview on November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Nicely played.

steveegg on November 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM

cozmo on November 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

When the stain on satellite bandwitdth (the NFL Network) was created a few years ago.

steveegg on November 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Mojave Mark on November 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Amen.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Have a great Thanksgiving and remember that God has blessed us to live in the greatest country on earth! Let’s keep her strong and free and humble.

Metanis on November 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Happy Saintsgiving!!!

roux on November 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Have a happy, blessed, healthy and safe Thanksgiving, fellow patriots.

Much love to all!

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I give thanks for my lousy hometown newspaper, The Cincinnati Enquirer. Why? I’m visiting my sister in northern Virginia, and I can’t believe how bad the editorial page of the Washington Post is.

And I give thanks for HotAir.

P.S. I hope the Jets beat the Bungles like a rug. Go Bears!

BuckeyeSam on November 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Hey Happy Tday there Del stop by and say hello

Nano

CommentGuy on November 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

My gift to Palin fans.

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Hey Happy Tday there Del stop by and say hello

Nano

CommentGuy on November 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I am leaving shortly to go Over the River and Thru the Woods to Grandma’s…no TV there so I will miss the entire Pats/Lions game. I will console myself with 10 different varieties of pie, however.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Saints by two TD’s over Cowboys. The rest I could care less about.

Tomorrow, Aggies over Longhorns in a close one

Saturday, LSU over Arkansas by 10. BTW, LSU should be ranked number 2 in the BCS, those ranked higher (except for Auburn) have schedules full of patsies. When one plays the equivalent of JV’s it is easy to put up a lot of points.

Kermit on November 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

I suggested to my Indian co-worker that she try turkey tiki masala this year. Meanwhile, we’re having a very traditional southern dinner of fried oysters and greens.

NeighborhoodCatLady on November 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Actually , for years the Lions played only the Packers on Thanksgiving.Then it was the only NFL game on turkey day.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Kermit on November 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Yeah, no kidding.

I’d like to see Boise State go through an entire SEC schedule one year and see how many games they could win.

It sure won’t be all of them, maybe not even half.

Brian1972 on November 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Happy Thanksgiving To All!

Tim Zank on November 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Among the things for which I am thankful are Ed, Allah, and the rest of the folks who keep HotAir chugging along.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

novaculus on November 25, 2010 at 10:31 AM

HAPPY Thanksgiving to all my Hotair Compatriots!
Pats
Saints and…
J.E.T.S….JETS JETS JETS!!!

NY Conservative on November 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Go Lions !
Now, in their 53rd rebuilding year.
(Last won Championship:1957)

Jeff2161 on November 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I think TO and Ochocinco might surprise us today. You don’t make claims like that without having something up your sleeve. The lions have also been improving and I think they’ll make a better run at it than 35-10, I’m giving them a final score of 14-28.

abobo on November 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM

This is my favorite day of the year. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

gmbdds on November 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM

myrenovations on November 25, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Hahah – that reminds me of my grandmother, who hated the Chicago Bears with a passion. I thought I was the only one with a grandmother that hated an NFL team that much! Awesome!

Just out of curiosity, who was her team? My grandma was a Packer fan.

capitalist piglet on November 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM

A blessed and Happy Thanksgiving to all here at HA. Eat, watch football, nap, eat again.
L

letget on November 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Please say an extra prayer today to QB Colt Brennan, formerly with the Redskins but perhaps best known as the Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors star QB a few years back. He was in a nasty car accident on the Big Island last week and sustained a broken left clavicle, 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and fractured eye socket. Apparently he also sustained some sort of head injury which his parents are not talking much about.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, the Pats will win – but the Lions are actually better than their record so I doubt the Pats are looking past them. I think they figured out a few weeks back that they didn’t like losing games they were expected to win, and aren’t going to let it happen again.

capitalist piglet on November 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM

And after the Lions ruined a run at a perfect season by your namesake, Vince Lombardi pulled the plug on that.

steveegg on November 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Let’s hope Brady is responsible for all 35 points before they pull him. He’s my fantasy team QB.

NoFanofLibs on November 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

capitalist piglet on November 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Some here in New England are convinced that the Pats were looking past Cleveland to the Pittsburgh game, to try and explain their loss to a Browns team that is also better than its record.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Da ‘Boys are 13-5 in Thanksgiving Day games since 1990.

OkieDoc on November 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM

explain their loss to a Browns team that is also better than its record.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Seriously would you quit. When a team is 3-7 they are bad.

CWforFreedom on November 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

CWforFreedom on November 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Check their schedule-so far this season they have only really been blown out once (by Pittsburgh, 28-10) and they followed that loss by beating the Super Bowl champs on the road and then they beat New England. Their only other loss by 10 or more points was to Atlanta, 20-10, and Atlanta is now 8-2.

The Brownies lost their first two games of the season by a total of 5 points, and have lost 3 other games by 6 points or less.

And they aren’t exactly in the easiest division-they have to play the Ravens and Steelers twice each.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and may we all remember to appreciate our blessings!

Here in south Louisiana, it’s the traditional turkey with the works, plus homemade pumpkin pie from stolen* jack-o’lanterns and pineapple upside-down cake in a cast-iron skillet.

God bless America (and the Saints, too) :-)

cane_loader on November 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

DrAllecon on November 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, no kidding.

It sure won’t be all of them, maybe not even half.

Brian1972 on November 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Do they get those two tomato can games per year against FCS teams, too?

Congratulations to Virginia Tech this year and Georgia next year for having the balls to play Boise State. They’ve been begging big-conference teams to play them, even going so far as to offer to travel with no return trip expected, which is practically unheard of for top teams to offer.

The Big 12 fears Boise. Truth.

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

At least the Texans won’t lose today, they’ll do that Sunday!

cartooner on November 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ed,

I’m not sure whether I’m more curious about where you got the turkey legs or that hat. Anywho…”Go Cowboys!”

I’d also like to say Happy Thanksgiving to Hot Air friends and even ones that we spare with. It’s very nice being home this year and I’m sincerely thankful. I am thankful that Mrs Hawk and I are together for this holiday and that our daughter will be here with a nice young man, who I think she is falling in love with. I am thankful for my daughters health and happiness. I’m thankful we still have my wife’s parents to come to dinner today. I’m thankful God has provided a good teaching and flying job for me to help ease my way in leaving my military family and the only life I’ve ever really known.

I pray it is the same for all of you. I pray that you have searched your hearts and found your own true meaning for today as well. And I pray you are able to celebrate this day for which it was designed.

And lastly, to all of my friends still away from home and in the watchtowers for us all; we have kept a place at our table for you until when you return.

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Sorry to disagree, but being in very weak conferences is not the same as playing a couple of teams from much stronger conferences.

If Boise State and TCU wanted to be taken seriously, they would be in different conferences than they now are. TCU could have been taken serious if it had joined the Big 12 like other major schools in its geographical area. Boise may not be able to get into a strong conference but the PAC 10 would be a definite step up in competition.

Kermit on November 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Salute to all our military men and women – Hear Hear!

cane_loader on November 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Ed, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Dr Evil on November 25, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Seriously would you quit. When a team is 3-7 they are bad.

CWforFreedom on November 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I honestly think you have to look closer than that. I can pretty much guarantee you that NFL coaches do.

capitalist piglet on November 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM

lol, er Hawk meant “spar” with. I would be thankful if we had an edit feature for our comments. :-)

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM

God’s Richest Blessings to you, dear sir. The heavy lifting you have done for my country is much appreciated. Your love of God, country and your countrymen is an example I pray more will follow.
Abundant and a cornucopia of health, happiness and prosperity to you and yours, today, and always.

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Kermit on November 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM

They’re doing what they can to get into better conferences, but it’s not like just showing up and asking is going to help. That doesn’t mean they’re not as good, it just means they aren’t being allowed to test themselves the way they would like to. Boise’s joining the MWC next year, which is already better than the Big East or the ACC right now.

My statement on the Big 12 fearing Boise stands. SEC teams could easily replace the tomato cans with games against real teams, but they don’t out of straight fear. And they’re right to fear them too, because if they played them, they’d probably lose. Better to leave them out in the cold and pretend that just because they play in a weak conference, they automatically are not on their level.

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Ed, happy Thanksgiving you and your family. You and Allahpundit make Hot Air the first site I check every morning and throughout the day. I am grateful for your 24/7 dedication to reporting and researching the important news of the day.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Hot Air regulars and the irregulars, too! You are all part of what makes this place so special. Enjoy in good health and good company. <3

Terrie on November 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

“….and Terrell Owens has, er, how many Super Bowl rings? That would be zero, mainly because he’s made every team for which he played a collective head case.”

As a lifetime Niner “faithful” and one who has witnessed TO’s dismal personality for the game, I had to check the archives. I thought he had picked up a ring with the Niners before his demise. The sad part is that TO really had the talent to be a Hall candidate, and he may reach there on his record. But he is definitely “a Ty Cobb” of football, where talent alone did not make for a friendly atmosphere even among teammates. Maybe T.O. and Ocho, and Moss can start their own franchise like Lebron and company. They certainly deserve each other. But none of them will ever have the numbers or the class of Jerry Rice.

Congrats on your 6-0 performance Ed. You needed it. :)

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you here. Have a blessed and safe holiday.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM

While I agree with you in principle RC, I would submit that if Boise played in the Pac Ten or the SEC they would most likely have 2-3 losses and not in position to be considered for a shot a the championship game. Even the good argument with the way they have played, (and beaten), teams like OU in bowl games doesn’t make up for a year long schedule against top 25 BCS teams. The same can be said for TCU in my humble opinion.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Hot Air! Thanks for being such an invaluable resource. And the photoshop wasn’t meant to depict pilgrim radio hosts. Just Ed with a festive hat and some turkey legs. :) I would have removed the microphone too, but that woulda taken forever! Hope it gave a chuckle.

Happy T-Day.

American Elephant on November 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.
I am thankful for my family and also thankful for Hot Air. `

carbon_footprint on November 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM

You too, OC. Happy Thanksgiving.

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

You and your brothers-in-arms are my heroes…
Prayers ascending.

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

If. If if if. If Obama were a conservative, we’d all love him.

Tell me at what point last season Boise State and TCU fell out of contention for the national championship. They’ve only done everything that has been asked of them and both have done everything that they could to get into the title game, even with the deck stacked against them. Playoff system. Now.

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Saints played like crap in the second half. They by all rights should have lost that game but got lucky.

Sadly didn’t get to see it (no TV at Grandma’s) but apparently the Patriots didn’t play like crap in the second half.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Good grief, for a franchise with 6 titles, The Steelers are consistently the whiniest team in the league.

The Steelers wondered aloud this week if more should have been done to punish Raiders defensive end Richard Seymour for striking Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the face Sunday.

Ben should have been fined too, for instigating and being stupid enough to get in the face of a defensive lineman.

Striking in the face? Unreal. What is that facemask for?

reaganaut on November 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

hawkdriver on November 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Congratulations on a great year, all of your happiness is richly deserved. And I hope there is nothing but more happiness to come.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Woo Hoo! Who Dat?

Wow. What an awesome game. Go Saints! :) :) :)

Theophile on November 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Red Cloud on November 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Let me put this a little more bluntly. TCU and Boise can go undefeated against high school teams all they want. And they are quality teams. But this doesn’t make them championship eligible. Playoffs would eliminate the question mark.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Striking in the face? Unreal. What is that facemask for?

reaganaut on November 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Part of the reason they are whining? Richard Seymour used to play with the New England Patriots!

Del Dolemonte on November 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM