Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on November 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Sarah Palin’s choosing sides in the conflict between North and South Korea–and picking Kim Jong Il?

“Couldn’t be. But there she is on Glenn Beck’s radio show saying just that: ‘This speaks to a bigger picture here that certainly scares me in terms of our national security policy. But obviously we’ve gotta stand with our North Korean allies.’”

***
“Her mistake was quickly corrected by her host. But it drew immediate fire from liberal bloggers who cited it as an example of her lack of foreign policy expertise. Newspapers in Asia and Europe echoed the criticism. The Times of India says Palin ‘did it again,’ while London’s Daily Mail says she ‘may want to brush up on her geography.’”

***
“Some of Palin’s usual antagonists are going nuts over this slip of the tongue, but they don’t point out that she correctly identified North Korea as our enemy literally 8 seconds before the mix-up: ‘We’re not having a lot of faith the White House is going to come out with a strong enough policy to sanction what it is that North Korea is going to do.’

“Palin shouldn’t be sheltered from tough yet fair criticism. But her critics don’t help themselves when their attacks are based on falsehoods or don’t tell the full story.”

***
My fellow Americans in all 57 states, the time has changed for come. With our country founded more than 20 centuries ago, we have much to celebrate – from the FBI’s 100 days to the reforms that bring greater inefficiencies to our health care system. We know that countries like Europe are willing to stand with us in our fight to halt the rise of privacy, and Israel is a strong friend of Israel’s. And let’s face it, everybody knows that it makes no sense that you send a kid to the emergency room for a treatable illness like asthma and they end up taking up a hospital bed. It costs, when, if you, they just gave, you gave them treatment early, and they got some treatment, and ah, a breathalyzer, or an inhalator. I mean, not a breathalyzer, ah, I don’t know what the term is in Austrian for that…

“Of course, the paragraph above is based on a series of misstatements and verbal gaffes made by Barack Obama (I didn’t have enough time to do one for Joe Biden). YouTube links are provided just in case you doubt the accuracy of these all too human slips-of-the-tongue. If you can’t remember hearing about them, that’s because for the most part the media didn’t consider them newsworthy. I have no complaint about that. Everybody makes the occasional verbal gaffe – even news anchors…

“If the media had bothered to actually listen to all of my remarks on Glenn Beck’s radio show, they would have noticed that I refer to South Korea as our ally throughout, that I corrected myself seconds after my slip-of-the-tongue, and that I made it abundantly clear that pressure should be put on China to restrict energy exports to the North Korean regime. The media could even have done due diligence and checked my previous statements on the subject, which have always been consistent, and in fact even ahead of the curve. But why let the facts get in the way of a good story? (And for that matter, why not just make up stories out of thin air – like the totally false hard news story which has run for three days now reporting that I lobbied the producers of “Dancing with the Stars” to cast a former Senate candidate on their show. That lie is further clear proof that the media completely makes things up without doing even rudimentary fact-checking.)”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Palin= cheerleader. Having tons of fans does make her a quarterback

conservador on November 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM

No, having tons of fans doesn’t make her the quarterback. Having mad skills and a lifelong history of success at what she does makes her the quarterback.

Keep up please, this isn’t rocket science.

gary4205 on November 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM

This trait of Mrs. Palin to FIGHT BACK is her “best trait” for a President! Reaganesque!

Turning a “gaffe” into her favor! Just Wow!

Pure talent, indeed!

TheAlamos on November 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Not a Palin fan. At all. She cast her lot with that backstabbing bag of cr*p Backdoor John McCain, so she’s dead to me.

That said, this is a stupid non-scandal. Slip of the tongue; not even a gaffe. Joe Biden actually lowers the IQ of any room he’s in by 7 points and she gets picked on for a simple slip. Unfair.

austinnelly on November 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM

austinnelly on November 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Oh stop lying, you’ve never been a fan of Palin’s. You’ve trashed her for a long time.

That said, she was pretty obligated to help John out. After all he’s the one who introduced her to the world.

If she hadn’t endorsed him, little mouth breathers like yourself would be trashing her as some sort of traitor.

You are pretty pathetic in you stupidity.

gary4205 on November 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM

canopfor on November 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM
=============================
what’s your point, douchebag? civilians don’t salute during the national anthem, even sitting governors.

long_cat on November 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM

long_cat:It was to illustrate Sarahs patriotism,and respect
to US Military personell.And,unless you want to loo
k like an idiot,only Military salute!

canopfor on November 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM

long_cat on November 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM
==========
The point is that she is patriotic and well liked by the military and Obama isn’t.

sharrukin on November 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM

sharrukan:Bingo,and thank-you!!:)

canopfor on November 26, 2010 at 3:53 AM

…was this kinda like the time Matt Lauer gently “corrected” Obama when he said “my Muslim faith”? Uh-huh, thought so. There was SO much MSM coverage of THAT, now wasn’t there?

/sarc

MsUnderestimated on November 26, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Wow, busy thread. Coffee, must have coffee. I volunteered for overtime today.

OmahaConservative on November 26, 2010 at 5:05 AM

AP, did you write that snark for Sarah? skillz

ted c on November 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM

/sarc

MsUnderestimated on November 26, 2010 at 4:00 AM

George stephanopolis

Inanemergencydial on November 26, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Wow, busy thread. Coffee, must have coffee. I volunteered for overtime today.

OmahaConservative on November 26, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Good mornin’, good sir! I trust you had a good Thanksgiving.

We drove home from my in-laws last night and I caught Palin’s post on FB. I read it to my hubby…we both laughed out loud at Barry’s foibles and high-fived at Sarah’s comeback. Bet that post gave Obummer a case of heartburn after all that pie, eh? ;-)

Grace_is_sufficient on November 26, 2010 at 6:11 AM

ted c on November 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Good to see you back Ted C!..:)

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 7:01 AM

There the MSM go again,shamelessly playing up to the ten liberals who still listen to them and care what they have to say about anything. I guess that’s what happens when you lose your “gravitas” if they ever had any, which I doubt.

But if there is one thing Palin supporters know about this kind of garbage it’s “Don’t retreat, Just Reload.” So bring it on wimps because it only makes her stronger in our eyes. It’s the kind of loyalty she has earned and others can only dream about.

Done That on November 26, 2010 at 7:01 AM

(This Norko flub was highlighted a sneering piece in the Dutch media today, as well -”Sarah Palin sees North Korean as an unmistakable ally”- so the snark is widespread.)

profitsbeard on November 26, 2010 at 12:05 AM

This from the people who put the only guy in their country who has any common sense (Geert Wilders) on trial for speaking the truth, while Mohammed conquers their nation without firing a shot. Whoop-de-do.

jimmy2shoes on November 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM

With good ol’ Joe around who needs Sarah to lift the gaffe- ometer. Sometimes you mind gets ahead of what you’re saying and the wrong word comes out. Get over it.

Kissmygrits on November 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM

long_cat on November 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM

That crotch grab at Arlington was so presidential.

katy the mean old lady on November 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM

ramrants on November 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM

During the panel, Mr. Krauthammer has made small error, as they all have, Mr. Bier will quietly correct it immediately and they will acknowledge the correction. Now I love Mr. Krauthammer but he has bad to walk back some major gaffes, such as his haughty disapproval of the Tea Parties in the early days, and he did it with style and humility. There is nothing wrong with misspeaking or even being wrong, it just shouldn’t be overlooked for some and bring the world to a halt for others.

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Did you buy any cars yesterday?..:)

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM

gary4205 on November 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

gary, I’m not on Gov. Palin’s train yet but I am at the station studying my options. Even if she decides not to run, she is providing an invaluable service by making sure the candidates stay to the right. If any potential candidates read this site and care about this one voter, they will not insult or snark about Gov. Palin. The minute that happens I will categorize them as part of the entrenched power structure that I’m not interested in. That said, since Gov. Christie is not going to run in 2012 but the darling of the media, it wouldn’t surprise me if he has been given the duty to diminish Gov. Palin. This is not a good move for a future candidacy.

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM

It’s today!! I need to go jump in the shower now that I have had my coffee and checked into HotAir. I am hoping to see a 1954 Studebaker Champion Wagon that I saw in Carlisle, PA. I know it’s a Florida car and that he’s trying to sell it. Unfortunately he wants crazy money for it. Maybe the Husband will find a 66 GTO instead. Let me go check to see if I won the lottery.

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Happy hunting !..That ’66 GTO would be awesome!..:)

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Yes it would! That’s what he was driving when we met. Oh the cars we never should have sold!!!!

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Very good points!..I’m with you although I’m not sure there is going to be a train to catch!..I don’t know if she is going to run..Why put up with this BS when it hasn’t really started good yet..:)

PS..We will see!..:)

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

or wrecked I might add!..LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Sarah Palin uses Thanksgiving message to attack US President Barack Obama’s gaffes
By staff writers From: NewsCore November 26, 2010 1:35PM Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Facebook Add to Kwoff Add to Myspace Add to Newsvine What are these? SARAH Palin, who has been hammered by critics for making the occasional verbal gaffe, used her Thanksgiving message today to point out a number of bungles made by US President Barack Obama.

The former Republican vice-presidential nominee, tipped as a potential 2012 presidential candidate, posted the message titled, “A Thanksgiving Message to All 57 States”, on her Facebook account.

In May 2008, while campaigning to be president, Mr Obama wrongly told an audience in Oregon that he “had been in 57 states, [with] I think one left to go.”

Ms Palin opened her message today by listing what she termed “misstatements and verbal gaffes made by Barack Obama”, along with accompanying YouTube clips.

They include Mr Obama calling Europe a country; the US continuing to fight “to halt the rise of privacy” – when he meant “piracy” – in Somalia; and Israel being a “strong friend of Israel’s”…..

…..The Twittersphere lit up after the publication of Ms Palin’s message, with critics jumping on her mention of 57 states – clearly not realising it was her joke aimed at Mr Obama.Ms Palin also used the same Facebook message to deny reports this week she had been trying to convince the producers of Dancing With The Stars to cast Christine O’Donnell, the defeated Republican candidate in the Delaware Senate race, in the next series of the hit show.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Very well put, Cindy. I respect and like Sarah Palin, but I’m not sure where she fits yet: pundit, politician, president? I like her policies and worldview, but have reservations about her more distinct personal qualities. Not because I find them offensive, but because a modern president has to be the “total package” for our instant-gratification culture. I’m not sure that she’s the total package….but when I look at the field of Republicans, I’m not sure anyone is, at this point.

Grace_is_sufficient on November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

In response to her latest Facebook post, some in the Democrat Party have shown how stupid they actually are by failing to understand that Governor Palin was mocking the gaffes that Obama makes with regularity. Some in the Democrat Party actually think that Governor Palin made an error when she wished the “57 states” a happy Thanksgiving in her Facebook post. They failed to realize that she was mocking Obama for his assertion that our country had 57 states. Rebecca Mansour tweets that “[l]iberals are so idiotic that they don’t realize the title of @SarahPalinUSA’s latest Facebook post is a joke about Obama. Unreal.”

The truth of the matter is that Governor Palin was actually being very kind to Obama by leaving out his more offensive gaffes. My favorite is when Obama asserted that his father served in World War II even though his father did no such thing.

Even Chuck DeVore’s campaign manager conceded “she wins this one.”
Read more…

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Hilarious comments on her FB post too. Liberal popped up by the minute, mocking her for her stupidity. Wish I coulda seen their faces when they realized Obummer gaffed, not Sarah.

She set ‘em up and called ‘em out. Like Rush, she knows liberalism like…well, you know the rest.

Grace_is_sufficient on November 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Nice pwnage Sarah

rockmom on November 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Sarah shoots back. Always.

SurferDoc on November 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on November 26, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Mornin’ Darlin’
I am working today, I volunteered and am getting double overtime + holiday pay.

OmahaConservative on November 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Sarah shoots back. Always.

SurferDoc on November 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

and unlike the left and the royal family when she shoots she hits what she aims for. Her facebook post was aimed at the media not Obama.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

You would think these brain-atrophied Palin haters would tire me out. No, they inspire me to work all that much harder for her. Keep harping, you nasty little smegma-smears. Locked and loaded and waiting for my future C-I-C to give the “fire” command.

Extrafishy on November 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I agree with you but we’ve got time. We may be watching the redefining of POTUS. I have to admit that Britt Hume show that laid out how the Republicans tried to get rid of Reagan changed my perspective a little bit. I am more cynical. I don’t like that it is not my nature.

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Well that explains a lot. Do Democrats think The Won is incapable of misspeaking or are they too stupid to recognize it when it happens?

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:19 AM

It was simply misspeaking, of course. I guess both sides do it to fill the blog pages, but I personally am bored with the tactic.

AnninCA on November 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I’m sure Sarah learned in basketball that if you don’t knock somebody on their can once in a while and risk a foul, they will shove you around all night. Dan Quayle’s gaffes were nothing. His bigger mistake was to sit there and let them do it to him.

SurferDoc on November 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:19 AM

It’s a matter of where they get their information. MSNBC doesn’t cover this stuff not CNN or the big three. if you get your news form those places you would never have heard of these gaffes from Obama. It’s like Reagan said It’s not that our opponents are stupid its just that so much they know is wrong or something like that.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I missed the show but the GOP ran away from Reaganism on jan 1989 and never looked back. I still wonder what the GOP would be like if Reagan would have been able to remain on th eworld stage instead of getting his illness. One reason I’m a big supporter of Gov Palin’s is that she is relativly young and if she should win the POTUS conservatives will have a voice on the stage for the next 4 decades and the Royal family within the GOP will be sidelined to some degree no matter who the president is after Palin.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

SurferDoc on November 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM

yeap the belief in the ryoal family of the GOP that you do not lower yourself to the mubpit is a major problem with the class view of the GOP royal family. Since they think they are “above” the gutter they allow the gutter to define them and thus lose the mandate form the people. Nixon for all his faults understood that he had to have the people on his side. The qualyes and bushes of the world think they govern by right of birth and fail to understand the connection they need. It is the fault of royal families everywhere and why the concept of royal families always fail. they lose touch with their subjects and the subjects hold them in distain because of it.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

AnninCA on November 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM

It’s much more than a tactic. It’s a defining characteristic and a means of pop-cultural narrative-shaping. The “gaffe” had spread to at least one late-night comic monologue last night. This is how it works.

This is why Palin’s response was so significant, or as explained well here:

Other Republicans from the deeply feckless and incompetent GOP Establishment don’t do this. They let the Left and their outriders in the Propaganda Ministry get away with this kind of propaganda every day. If you want to know why Republicans have a hard time sustaining any kind of momentum for an enduring majority, here is a prime example: very, very few of them have Palin’s savvy for keeping up the fight.
victor82 on November 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Now, watch closely in the next few days for the expected sick response from the masochistic-Vichy Right, the Frums, et al. Palin will be blasted for her “thin skin”, for “whining”, that is, for her unacceptable, unbecoming, unleaderlike refusal to be defined and smeared by the establishment Left.

We are reaching a point of crisis, of severe internal convulsions, within Amercian politics. Palin is both the emetic and the cure.

rrpjr on November 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Two reasons why you shouldn’t bully women or people smaller than you

one is that you never look good doing it

two is that you look even worse when your a$$ gets whooped

Sonosam on November 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

The weird thing is that some people now think that Sarah Palin said the things she quoted from Obama. C’mon. It’s stuff like this that makes me glad I’m not running for any office.

MrX on November 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

athe Reagan specials are really eye-openers to the mechanics of the party.

OmahaConservative on November 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

rrpjr on November 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

sadly I have to agree. the Royal family of the GOP have no understanding of how to fight in the gutter.

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Sarah has a great sense of humor when she goes after Obama. She (and Jindal) actually call him out by name for his policies and errors. But Sarah kind of makes fun of him without crossing any lines.

Like in her second episode of her TLC Alaska show where she tells Bristol “we don’t want to get ‘wee-wee’d’ up about” something.

I laughed when I heard that one.

Elisa on November 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

SurferDoc on November 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Quayle wasn’t ignorant, it was more that he mangled the language. To people who can’t separate Quayle’s meaning from his language-mangling, it would be like pointing at James Carville and laughing at what a hick he is every time he said “dis” or “dat” instead of “this” or “that”. It shows a stupidity if you can’t discern Quayle’s or Carville’s meaning beyond how they’re screwing up the language.

Paul-Cincy on November 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

unseen on November 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Right. Orwell said something like, to paraphrase, if you’re fighting for something ultimately important, you’re going to have to get dirty. To fight and win you will need to get dirty, period. The Left has owned the culture for so long that 90% of the establishment Right has absorbed the double-standard of having to fight acording to different rules. The Right pays unconscious fealty to the Left. It’s like a “Stockholm Syndrome.”

Palin is waking people up from this syndrome. It is traumatic to many. They prefer the comfort of being captive and passive. They don’t want to face their own pathos. Really sick.

rrpjr on November 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Finding words for Sarah Palin

I resisted the mighty urge to remark about Sarah Palin’s cracked-brain contention that she can best President Barack Obama in the 2012 election. Were I religious, I’d pray fervently that she be the Republican Party’s nominee. Were I superstitious, I’d wish upon a star.

Reading about her second book, released Tuesday, and her intent to be in Norfolk, Neb., on Saturday to ballyhoo it, impels me to comment.

Rather than fashioning a detailed, scathing critique of it (and her), I’ll be succinct:

What is ailin’

Sarah Palin?

She is so misinformated,

Mentally discombobulated

And so self-deludiated …

She shall be refudiated.

Ernie Chambers, Omaha

Former Nebraska state senator

OmahaConservative on November 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Wow. This is called a good old-fashioned brain fart–they happen to everyone from Fulbright Scholars to toilet-scrubbers when speaking. Is everyone else on the planet allowed slip-of-the-tongues save for Palin? Especially considering all the interviews and speeches she tirelessly engages in. Why is this standard of uber-perfectionism in speech and thought thrust upon this woman?–oh, wait. No need to answer that.

RepubChica on November 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Cindy Munford on November 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

The marriage between Conservatives and the Republican Party has always been tenuous at best. Everyone knows it easier to fall in with them rather than start a new party, even though Conservatives make up the bulk of the base. (You can’t trust those precious sainted “moderates” to have your back, ever)

It’s been almost like a wife (or husband) who is being abused. We stick around (in the party) but have no real reason to.

At this point one must assume every single establishment hack is against us, and go from there. It’s safer. If one turns out OK, well, great. Until then, trust no one!

One of the reason I support Sarah so strongly is her record (since her earliest days in politics) of taking the establishment apart. She’s our only hope if we are to really change government in a positive way.

Everyone else represents business as usual.

gary4205 on November 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

It’s interesting when I went to the Mediaite website link the comments are just immediately attacking Palin and disregrarding any other explantion like Palin gives. I am convincded these people are quite aware it is a slip of the toungue but the left is so in love with the idea of the meme that they will try it in the face of even obvious facts like here. These people REALLY are the SCUm of society because they attempt to win by means of rumors, innuendo, etc. The whole 2008 Obama myth was done this way. It is a Cancer on our national dialogue.

Conan on November 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Sarah’s “My fellow Americans” post included links. Without those links it maked the entire thing irrelevant, and thus misleading.

Poor form, Allahpundit!

DannoJyd on November 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

makes

DannoJyd on November 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

sharrukan:Bingo,and thank-you!!:)

canopfor on November 26, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Not a problem. Sometimes people misinterpret what they read and I know you aren’t a leftist loon.

sharrukin on November 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Two reasons why you shouldn’t bully women or people smaller than you

one is that you never look good doing it

two is that you look even worse when your a$$ gets whooped

Sonosam on November 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

A little wrestling lingo from Dan Gable,

She shoots she scores!

They shoot she scores!

She’s THAT good!

Palin 2012

dhunter on November 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

A little wrestling lingo from Dan Gable,
dhunter on November 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Dan Gable! One of my heroes. Thanks for the memory.

rrpjr on November 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Everyone else represents business as usual.

gary4205 on November 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Spot on. I loved her comeback. They wanted soooo much to make her look bad. So what did she do? She listed all the gaffes of her nemisis the 0 (that’s a zero). Just to reacquaint everyone with his fallibility which is considerable.

shmendrick on November 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM