Obama: Hey, let’s have a very bipartisan Thanksgiving

posted at 1:30 pm on November 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Season’s greetings from the man who once responded to Republican concerns about the stimulus with the words “I won.” If he’s talking here about a payroll tax holiday or serious spending cuts, then it sounds like a plan. Only one small problem: Who’s going to tell Nancy?

Pelosi will lead Democrats “in pulling on the president’s shirttails to make sure that he doesn’t move from center-right to far-right,” said Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif., a co-chair of the liberal Progressive Caucus in the House. “We think if he’d done less compromising in the last two years, there’s a good chance we’d have had a jobs bill that would have created real jobs, and then we wouldn’t even be worrying about having lost elections.”

Behind Democrats’ decision to keep Pelosi as their leader after historic losses lies intense concern among liberals who dominate the party’s ranks on Capitol Hill: They fear Obama will go too far in accommodating the GOP in the new era of divided government, and they see Pelosi as a counterweight…

People close to Pelosi say she trusts the president — perhaps moreso than some of her allies in Congress do — to defend core Democratic principles in his dealings with the GOP.

Some Democrats argue that Pelosi’s liberal streak might help the president in that context — a bad cop to Obama’s good cop.

I envy Democrats the sort of smart, sober congressional leadership that worries about Barack Obama moving “far right.” The AP’s right, though, about the good cop/bad cop dynamic we’ll see next year once Pelosi and The One settle into their new roles. She won’t be a counterweight to presidential compromise so much as she’ll be an enabler of it. Obama needs to regain some independent appeal ahead of 2012, and having America’s most unpopular liberal pol whining about his every gesture towards centrism is a useful way to do it. Meanwhile, Pelosi needs to prove her worth as minority leader to Democrats after this month’s shellacking, and the most obvious path is to position herself as the noble defender of Democratic values against a centrist-minded president who’s tempted to betray them. Won’t stop Obama from compromising but it will energize the base. Win/win!

That’s as much political insight as I can muster on Thanksgiving — except to note that if you’re having ham today instead of turkey, stove-top stuffing instead of homemade, canned cranberry sauce instead of real sauce, and/or apple pie instead of pumpkin, you’re a dirty, dirty RINO. Exit question: Do my ears deceive me or did the man who rose to national prominence as an early opponent of the Iraq war actually utter the following line in the clip below? “As long as many of our sons and daughters and husbands and wives are at war, we’ve got to support their mission and honor their service.”

Comments

ho hum……..

dmann on November 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I’m with ya, AP. Pumpkin Pie is disgusting. Apple or Blueberry is the way to go.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Go stuff it!

Blake on November 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Sorry, but I don’t believe one word out of bho mouth. Someone wrote this, he said this, but does he believe it? I don’t think so, it is his way or the high way!
L

letget on November 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

We’re having duck. A holiday isn’t a holiday without duck. With orange glaze sauce. Mmmm.

lorien1973 on November 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I’m not hungry any more…

Seven Percent Solution on November 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

It’s not about left or right it’s about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

jaboba on November 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM

This thug has no clue what Thanksgiving day is about. He probably thinks it was a holiday invented to get people to eat more.

thekingtut on November 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I saw some Dem mouthpiece on TV earlier using that “we all have to come together” shtick. Sorry, we don’t “come together” with those focused on driving us apart.

And with that, Happy Thanksgiving…

JammieWearingFool on November 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Oh dear!

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I hate to be snarky when he is acknowledging our military but it just shows to go it depends on who’s mission it is that is important. Does that mean he takes all responsibility for anything that happens now?

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I think there’s huge bipartisan support for you to resign, Obama!!!

How about it?????

landlines on November 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Words, just words. Nice sounding words, but words just the same. Let’s see you walk the talk, pal.

What’s the over/under on the percentage of time that Obama hogs when he meets with party leaders for a “dialog”?

Mallard T. Drake on November 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

No, it’s about stopping your Marxist/Socialist agenda D-bag.

To the Messiah, the purpose of words is to conceal. To him, the true meaning of words don’t seem to matter.

WordsMatter on November 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM

For today, Mr. Obama, in the spirit of being gracious, I refuse to ruin this holiday by finding fault with your speech or the person who wrote it for you.

fourdeucer on November 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

0bama’s idea of “Bipartisan Thanksgiving”:

Republicans Buy the food, cook the meal, serve it, then hide in the kitchen while he and his pals eat, then when they are done, and leave the table to go watch football or whatever, the Republicans may come out of the kitchen long enough to clear the table and then go wash the dishes.

LegendHasIt on November 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM

After what Odumbo has been doing with that chicken I’m not about to trust him with a turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

DeweyWins on November 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Obama:

We were busy cooking thanksgiving dinner and preparing the pie. The republicans were just standing there asking “is it done yet?”

lorien1973 on November 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Dirty, dirty RINO reporting for duty here!

Now excuse me while I try and get this can of cranberries open and stir my Stove Top stuffing

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

You can keep the left and right wings, I want a drumstick!!

abobo on November 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM

No thanks , we won congress for starters and I don’t like it when your wife tells me what I can do and eat.BTW,I can see 2012 from my patio and your suit looks rather ill fitting and empty.

Sandybourne on November 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Dear Mr. President:

In the spirit of the holiday I won’t bad-mouth you any more today if you promise to shut up and not ruin Thanksgiving for me like you did last year.

Is that too much to ask?

hachiban on November 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I just want to say how thankful I am that Allahpundit cranks out a quality post on Thanksgiving.

Makes the wait for turkey go a little faster.

radioboyatl on November 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I guess I ain’t no RINO,… whew!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

betsyz on November 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Shoot, these people are lucky they are getting real potatoes.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I just hope obama doesn’t interrupt our football with his hogwash.

ohiobabe on November 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM

It’s Pelosi’s Alzhiemers cop to Obama’s incompetant cop.

Here’s the thing about narcisisst personality Disorder with a good does of megalomania that Obama has-he won’t move to center. He won’t move anywhere. To do so would be admitting he was wrong. An NPD of his magnitutde will destroy himself rather than admit he was wrong. No, he isn’t moving anywhere but with Pelosi’s help, they will destroy the Democratic party completely :)

Niteowl45 on November 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Lord Unicorn wants Thanksgiving even with his “enemies”?

Django on November 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I don’t mean to sound racist or anything, but 0 sure looks like Curious George in that pic.

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Them are some big ears.

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM

gravy-flavored slurpees

John the Libertarian on November 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

“It’s not about left or right. It’s about us.”

And be reasonable, do it my way. Or else. Shhh, or else anyway.

Speakup on November 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Barry is ‘going to move to the center’.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. Sure he is. So how many weeks do we have to wait before the pundits go “Oh, gee! He didn’t!”

GarandFan on November 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM

OmahaConservative on November 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Now it is a good thing for you my grandkids can’t read your post. They love Curious George.

fourdeucer on November 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

“We think if he’d done less compromising in the last two years, there’s a good chance we’d have had a jobs bill that would have created real jobs, and then we wouldn’t even be worrying about having lost elections.” ~ Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif

Do you people see what we, (CONSERVATIVES) have to put up with here in CALIFORNIA? Please tell your reps across this nation that no federal money be allocated to this liberal infested domain. Change will never come to this state as long as the federal gravy train keeps feeding these parasites. Woolsey and her cohorts spent the entire year shoving their socialist, (government heath care), agenda down our throats and made no attempt to bring relief to the private sector. Jobs bill my @ss. The woman is delusional.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I wish Obama would stuff Nacy up a turkey butt!

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

come to my house knucks. You can talk with my Mom, sit around and I will cook for ya!

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Let’s cram some turkeys.

She remained at her father’s house during the winter months, plucking fowls, or cramming turkeys and geese, or making clothes for her sisters and brothers out of some finery which d’Urberville had given her, and she had put by with contempt.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

John the Libertarian on November 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I’ve been seeing a Pepto-Bismol ad today that says “Gravy fills all voids.” but I think your idea is a bridge too far.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I know that when we “talked” last you got the house, are you all moved in?

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

My ButterBall turkey has been thoroughly groped and deemed safe by the TSA.
Hey, where did the stuffing go? It was right here a minute ago.

Electrongod on November 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

“The AP’s right, though, about the good cop/bad cop dynamic we’ll see next year once Pelosi and The One settle into their new roles. She won’t be a counterweight to presidential compromise so much as she’ll be an enabler of it.”

..oh puh-leez, Allah, this turkey’s no more gonna compromise on anything than you will start rooting for Sarah Palin to win the GOP POTUS nomination.

The partisan brickbats he threw a couple of days ago on his trip, his post-election tone-deaf “shellacking” speech, and his adherence to the left’s calling for centrism when they get their a** handed to them shows that he has driven his car into the ditch and will spend the remaining two years stripping the gears in an attempt to get it out.

The War Planner on November 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

This guy is the biggest dickwad in presidential history.

RadClown on November 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Not only that, and not only does he want “bipartisanship”, having called us “enemies”.

He also found ‘religion’. He used “god” in his Thanksgiving address to the nation.

Oh my, what a shellacking can do.

Don’t believe a word Narcissus Maximus tells. It’s all Pinnochian bs toward his own ‘glory’. Fortunately the electorate, having been royally fooled once, woke up.

If not, they deserve him royally and their scrooming s/b merciless.

Schadenfreude on November 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Mister Present

What happened to “Republican’s get in the back of the bus/car/skateboard rhetoric?” You WON, oh wait, not this last time around, and now you cry and want to play nice with your enemies? Suck it up Berry, game on.

nwpammy on November 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I know that when we “talked” last you got the house, are you all moved in?

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

HECK NO! The house is gutted. Tile is almost up (I am the one doing that). Hubby went out to put last coat of paint on today. Tomorrow will be moving in the cabinets and setting up with counters and the bathroom sink and the last of the subflooring. Saturday is the rest of the time and the last of the accent painting and then the HUGE shopping spree to get the rest of the stuff for the house (like the lights and sink) Sunday is trim day. Monday is rest day. Tuesday is counter day and new appliances day. Wednesday is new linolium and carpet day. And Thursday and Friday is hardwood floor day. The last stuff like lights and framing the inside of the windows (picture boxes) will be done when after we move in next weekend. :)

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

B.O.: Still seeking to feather his nest while giving the rest of us The Bird!

pilamaye on November 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Jobs bill my @ss. The woman is All liberals in California are delusional.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM

..Rovin, when that happens and the revolution starts, you can come over to my house and watch it on TV. I’ll supply the popcorn and beer. Hell, I’ll put on the steaks, get a carboy of Jack, and two kegs of beer.

It’ll be a merry party watching the unions and the “gimme groups” trying to rip the face off of that pathetic hippie retread gov-to-be because he’s cutting their benefits.

The War Planner on November 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I’m not hungry any more…

Seven Percent Solution on November 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

They really should save this video for after the holidays as a “weight-watcher” commercial—How to Lose Your Appetite in Four Minutes, Thirteen Seconds.

Now in the spirit of Sarah Palin, I think I’ll go club a bottle of Grey Goose, and kill the sucker.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM

The War Planner on November 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thanks WP, put me down for a reservation.

Rovin on November 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Shoot, these people are lucky they are getting real potatoes.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM

You mean to tell me potatoes don’t come out of a box?

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I’m looking at July, girlfriend.

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I’m looking at July, girlfriend.

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM

you know how to find me!

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Awesome cranberry sauce recipe I tried for the first time–for those who love cranberries!

Except I omitted the parsley!

INC on November 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

All I hear is: “please take the blame for my disastrous policies so the public will re-elect me and my cronies in 2012.”
Hey Obama, “we won.”

Oh yeah, and Pelosi is a lunatic.

Grayson on November 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Says one thing, does another. What is that. Dupliticious, liar, hypocrite, hmmm? Anyone?

Paul-Cincy on November 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Will do.

Now excuse me while I pop this turkey into the microwave.

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Apple pie forever.

Anwyn on November 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Its about us? I always thought it was about him.

My wife, who is the midst of a battle with cancer, suffered a stroke the other day during radiation. The neurologist was going through some questions with her to measure the damage done. He asked her the date, her name, where she was and she was struggling with some of them. Then he asked, “can you tell me who the president is?” She looked at him and said, “oh yeah, I can tell you that one.” He looked at me and I said, “now you’re making me ill.”

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

You’re kidding – you morons blew a trillion dollars on a turtle-tunnel in Florida and some roadside signs and now you’re going to try and blame republicans for your utter failure to create a single job? That’s pathetic!

PatMac on November 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Best wishes and prayers for both of you!

PatMac on November 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Dude is TOTALLY lost. What does he have to fall back on? He is a CHARADE…the whole thing is a lie, a bait and switch, a ponzi scheme. Once you are found out you have to move to another town…only he is trapped.
All those who endlessly opine on whether he will change are fools…

winston on November 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Prayers coming your way.

Knucklehead on November 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Now, these Dems call what they and Obama have been doing for the last two years compromising? Really?

I’d hate to see how they act when they have complete control…

Oh wat…they’ve been in complete control for two years! So what is this jackwad talking about?!

catmman on November 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Blessings and prayers to you and yours.

John the Libertarian on November 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

upinak on November 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Dang, y’all are working your hindquarters off. I am sure it will be beautiful.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

God bless your wife and you, that rough. Prayers for her recovery.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I’d be willing to lay odds that never in her entire political career has Lynn Woolsey had an idea that would create private-sector jobs.

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Best wishes to you both — hang in there!

DrSteve on November 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Obama-”Today, Nov 25th, 2010 is a day that will live in infamy. It is the day that the dirty Republicans invented turkey flavored slurpees.”

viviliberoomuori on November 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Wow. People that don’t agree with him are being recognized as humans..not enemies or slurpee swilling scumbags..but actual human beings. What a breakthrough for the Holiday. Too bad I have to work today. Enjoy your Tofurkey, Mr President.

austinnelly on November 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Bite me.

rrpjr on November 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

May God hold you both in the hollow of His hand. I hope you have as good a Thanksgiving as possible.

kingsjester on November 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM

rrpjr on November 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

An admirable use of a small number of words. Very nice.

Cindy Munford on November 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Obama: Hey, let’s have a very buy-partisan Thanksgiving

(Corrected obvious misspelling of the Obama quote)

landlines on November 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

President Slushy speaks out of the left side of his orifice.

RandyChandler on November 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

lorien1973 on November 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Pagan. Both fruits are out of season and available product is sub-standard. My pumpkin pie, on the other hand, is not only in season, but sublime. Clearly you have no idea, lorien.

Jaibones on November 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Mister Present

nwpammy on November 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Now THAT was laugh out loud funny.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you – and fret not. We’re in this together.

seesalrun on November 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Don’t forget when our chumpinchief accused our military of carpet bombing innocent women and children

choke on a turkey none you scummy punk

Sonosam on November 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Thanks to all. It was another tough day, but we got through it and didn’t even miss the turkey. We are hopeful she is improving. AFter undergoing what her oncologist said was the most brutal of chemo regimens, she has a stroke. She has been strong. Refuses to cry or quit. Your good wishes and prayers helped us through today.

@flyoverland

flyoverland on November 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Someone squeezed Obama, and out came another pearly glob of speech. Just wait a few hours now, and Obama will be ready to spout words all over again.

Kralizec on November 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Wow. How far off of the Communist deep end do you have to be in order to look at Obama and think that he is center-right? Seriously. Those guys would probably think that Stalin was too centrist.

Obama has been nothing but hard left (with the exceptions of Gay Marriage and Afghanistan). Seriously, he has been nothing but an “it’s us versus them” class warfare socialist.

Theophile on November 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM

“I won, in a non-partisan sorta way,” -Obooba.

Akzed on November 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Theophile on November 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM

These are the people who waterboard each other in protest of waterboarding.

Wish they’d protest hanging.

Roy Rogers on November 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM