Beck: Shirtless little boy patted down by the TSA has autism

posted at 1:50 pm on November 24, 2010 by The Right Scoop

Glenn Beck had Luke Tait, the college student who took the infamous video of the TSA agent doing a pat down of the shirtless little boy, on his show this morning to discuss the incident at the airport. During the interview, Beck said that he learned from a ‘refounder’ (Congressional insider) that the little boy didn’t actually set off the metal detectors as the TSA reported, but rather the boy had on a baggy shirt that caught the attention of the TSA and thats why they wanted to do a pat down. Beck said he also learned a detail that hasn’t been reported yet, that the little boy has autism.

Those two details, if true, certainly put this in a different light than the TSA reported. It would also better explain why the agents tried to intimidate Tait into deleting the video, as he describes in the interview.

So I guess we should all give kudos to the TSA for helping protect America from an innocent little autistic boy with a baggy shirt. Great Job TSA!

Cross posted at www.therightscoop.com

Comments

I get it… but I also cringe when I see anecdotal evidence presented as a core argument.

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

That poor kid. Autistic children also don’t like physical contact very much, which was probably very uncomfortable for him.

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

My son’s first pat down came about 15 years ago in Dallas. He has cerebral palsy and doesn’t walk or talk. Since he couldn’t go through the metal detector, he was frisked in his wheel chair. He (or I) didn’t particulary care for it, but is now seems rather mild to what they are doing today.
There is no way I would try to fly with him now.

bopbottle on November 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Agreed. But when you add up all the mis-steps, insensitivity and even abusive behavior that’s being reported, it starts to look like a pattern.

Dee2008 on November 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Please Jazz. Explain to me again why this isn’t a big deal.

DrAllecon on November 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

New Zogby Poll out.

61% opposed to both the scanners and the pat downs.

The tide is turning.

Also, as the parent of two children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I find this particularly abhorrent and vile.

The TSA MUST GO. NOW!

wearyman on November 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Is it possible that the government could hire a few extra agents to operate scanners and do pat downs on our nation’s borders?

mobydutch on November 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Lousy SOB’s.

PROFILE, PROFILE, PROFILE!!!

GrannyDee on November 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Oh my goodness, an HA contributor whi doesn’t think everybody who doesn’t care for the TSA procedures should go to re-education camps. Someone notify Jazzshaw or whoever runs this once conservative website. You must have slipped passed the guard.

kangjie on November 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM

The details don’t matter that much to me. It’s the totality of the situation that’s incredibly offensive.

When it gets to the point that well-meaning travel writers feel the need to offer advice to parents on how to prepare their children for being groped, e.g. Good Touch, Bad Touch, TSA Touch, it’s time either to protest or submit.

Drained Brain on November 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Mean whilst…

… thousands of illegals crossed the border last night while you were sleeping, and some of them came from the middle east.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM

The government will respond to these outrages by banning all filming of TSA molestations by Christmas.

GardenGnome on November 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Mean whilst…

Happy Thanksgiving everybody…!

Ah, you’re suggesting Napolitano set up scanners at the border too, along with her plans for mass transit. But that would violate the rights of undocumented Democrats!

Drained Brain on November 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I guess we will have to beg for waivers from the empress Janet!

PattyJ on November 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I bet this occurred to the child on a day trip to San Francisco, where he was denied a toy with his Happy Meal.

Shy Guy on November 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Outrageous and despicaple. But, wait…

According to Big Sis, we just need to analyze the poor widdle Islamic Terrorists and try to figure out what makes them so mean:

The long-term [question] is, how do we get out of this having to have an ever-increasing security apparatus because of terrorists and a terrorist attack? I think having a better understanding of what causes someone to become a terrorist will be helpful.

kingsjester on November 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I guess we will have to beg for waivers from the empress Janet!

PattyJ on November 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM
Yeah, it must be an honor to receive a government waiver. You know, waivers for scanners, waivers for Obamacare, waivers for whatever………..

mobydutch on November 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

This the way you fight in the current media climate. People aren’t going to pay attention to facts, and as evidence, I present the 2008 elections…

18-1 on November 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I find it interesting that the boy’s father has not come forward. Everything being said about this incident is anecdotal and hearsay “evidence.”

Autism? Really? It spices up the story, anyway. And who reveals this? Beck’s un-named “source.” How does he/she/it know? Where’s the proof?

Someone has to rein in the TSA, and do it damn quick. But there is a way to ramp up public indignation, and it is not with anonymous accounts based on incomplete videos of unknown people.

MrScribbler on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

waiting for Jazz’s justification for the TSA behavior in 3…2…1….

search4truth on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

But no walls or anything else on the southern border, that would be insensitive to people who aren’t even American citizens.

I can’t wait until the TSA is unionized, won’t that be grand.

Bishop on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I won’t re-post the long rant I put up a few days ago. It was about my grand daughter being autistic and how the TSA pat-down could affect her for an unknown period of time… As in set off an episode that takes hours to get over, and possible reverse a lot of my daughter’s work helping her deal with the triggers she lives with.
These searches of little kids and grand moms are not doing anything to protect us, but they are exposing the facist police state that is rapidly becoming a part of every day life…
It’s not about Obama… It’s about getting the PC control freaks heads out of our a**es. Dem , R, or indifferent… Enough already.

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

My son would beg to differ with you. Autism covers a very wide spectrum of behavior.

Bat Chain Puller on November 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

…the little boy didn’t actually set off the metal detectors as the TSA reported, but rather the boy had on a baggy shirt that caught the attention of the TSA and thats why they wanted to do a pat down…the little boy has autism.

“We do that,” –Jazz Shaw.

Akzed on November 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Soon, very soon, some jihadi savage will be found with a suppository bomb or a female jihadi will have a breast bomb, and then what happens?

Bishop on November 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

MrScribbler on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I don’t… He may not want to become a known enemy of the state…

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

LET ME C

Happy Meals…..Bad….ban em

Sugar n cola….Bad….ban it

Dust…. Bad…..EPA wants 2 regulate

Radiation….. Come and git it…..courtesy of da TSA and Big Brother

roflmao

donabernathy on November 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I, too, find it interesting that this has not come out before now. I’ll probably piss Jimbo off with this comment but who cares?

If they have to frisk autistic kids because of their baggie shirts and CP kids because a WC can’t go through a scanner or they are too contracted to get a crotch shot, I do not want this kind of safety. Period.
I will not fly. The terrorists have won and we might as well just fly the white flag.

ORconservative on November 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM

If legal residents crossed the borders like the illegals do they would get arrested!
It is the absurdiy in the difference of treatment that is the issue here.
The criminals are being protected and regular people are not (but are abused instead) – all in the name of political correctness.

gullxn on November 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Boycott Fly guys. take a train, see the country side. Drive your vehicles.. it is cheaper with gas and you have an exit strat if the in-laws become caustic. The airlines will lose money and MAKE the TSA either go away and the airport hires private companies OR they go belly up.

I saw this video a few days ago. This is unexceptable.

time to take a stand.

upinak on November 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

wearyman on November 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I hate these procedures and I protest them vigorously. But just to be clear, you do understand the TSA argument for actually targeting such a passenger as an autistic young boy, right?

They will claim that a terrorist would strap a bomb to him and use him as an unwitting mule, then blow him up. Sorry, but this does not represent a special case of objection for me.

Jaibones on November 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Bat Chain Puller on November 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

My grand daughter love phyiscal contact… When she’s comfortable with the who, what, where, and when… In fact, part of her specific symtom release is to have her back rubbed, or her feet massaged.
But if she’s not in a good space, and wants to be left untouched… proceeding with these pat-down type touchings could ruin her day. Why? Cause she’s 5 and uncooperative? This is a sickening turn of the facist blade, all in the name of security.

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Dee2008 on November 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

It’s a very large country, and millions and millions and millions of people flying everyday. These are anecdotal accounts, and should be taken as such.

Certainly, it is healthy to be skeptical and keep an eye out, but you shouldn’t infer broad structural patterns here any more than people should regarding anecdotal accounts of prisoner abuse in Iraq or Gitmo or violence against civilians in Iraq, etc.

Try to set politics aside and apply a consistent standard, and see how you feel about it.

DaveS on November 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Jaibones on November 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

OK, so a parent of a special needs child has 2 choices. Subject the kid to a nightmare that could take a long time to recover from or don’t fly. Because terrorists MIGHT use a similar kid for a bomb.
I hope they choose not to fly. This is pure insanity.

ORconservative on November 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Jaibones on November 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I don’t CARE what you think represents a special case of objection. It’s MY CHILDREN and what I think is what matters!

On top of that, the TSA procedures already outline the fact that they are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THIS TO CHILDREN THIS YOUNG, Autistic or not!

The fact that you would EVEN CONSIDER defending them in a case like this just appalls me, as it should any reasonable person.

What is wrong with you?

wearyman on November 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Ok guys and girls,as a retired military and commercial pilot[retired] who was flying before and after 9/11, let me just say that “we” all knew that the TSA was not security but merely a show. When you would go to work at your home base and see the same people every day and they would still give you the full monty, you knew it had nothing to do with security.If it was, they would have let identified non threats through,,when you have limited resources, you target the known universe that is causing the problem. Also, nail clippers and bottles of water do not have minds of their own and attack people and blow up,,a person does.

retiredeagle on November 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I can’t wait until the TSA is unionized, won’t that be grand.

Bishop on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

They are unionized

LODGE4 on November 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Bat Chain Puller on November 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

My wife works with Autistic and Aspergers children as a teacher. I am sure every case child is different, but from what my wife has told me physical contact makes these children antsy and it bothers them.

Glad to know you can snuggle with your little one. =)

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

It isn’t the exact parallel but standing in line in immigration coming back to the USA, a man had his cell phone out. Some black affirm action hire, with a thick island accent screamed at him that he was in a government area and shouldn’t think about using the cell phone. Government area? They were building cruise missiles or at the NSA…What a country we’ve let come to past.

wepeople on November 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I can’t wait until the TSA is unionized, won’t that be grand.

Bishop on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I hope you are not eating…

Seven Percent Solution on November 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Jaibones on November 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

If that’s the war we’re not fighting for real (see no profiling allowed)… all is lost.
And let’s hope you never have the pleasure of doing a long flight in the seat behind a special child, or any child in fact, who’s day has been turned upside down so that you could be think you’re safe.

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

99.99999% of terrorists are Muslim men.

99.99999% of the counter-terrorist efforts are geared towards people who are not Muslim men.

Sheer idiocy.

angryed on November 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Glad to know you can snuggle with your little one. =)

portlandon on November 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

You know I have Asperger’s and I’m just getting to the point were I’ll hold hands during the Passing of the Peace during Mass. With the exception of my husband I’d still rather not have people touch me.
If a stranger were to touch me I would have a problem…and unlike most people with ‘autism’ I would have ZERO problem telling the ‘toucher’ what I thought of their actions.
Being that I was also ‘emotionally’ molested-there is no chance that we’ll be flying soon

annoyinglittletwerp on November 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM

This is a back handed slap at Israel since it’s our friendship with and defense of Israel that makes them so mad. I have long maintained that we need to pull all forms of aid, including troops, out of countries that think we’re evil. Why do they want our money that’s tainted with the blood of patriots? We can’t afford it, anyway.

College Prof on November 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I’m also on the autistic-spectrum as-most likely-is my bright, well adjusted son.
It’s tough being different when you’re as young as your grand-daughter. I’ll think of her at Mass on Sunday.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM

The new Republican congress needs to pass a simple new law: It shall not be illegal for a resident of the USA to film or make a record of any state, city, county, or federal employee performing their job if done in a public place or a place generally accessible to the public or the resident’s property, and the recording process does not directly interfere with the duties of the employee.

There’s way too much camera fascism going on in our country.

slickwillie2001 on November 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I get it … but I also cringe when I see anecdotal evidence presented as a core argument.

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Well, the more there are, the more you can cringe.

manwithblackhat on November 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I read on Yahoo News today that CAIR was urging Muslims travelling this holiday if in case they opt out of being scannwed, the TSA will allow them to pat themselves down.

Why doesn’t some reporter with a camera crew throw this one at Nappy-Baby and see what sort of incoherent muttering she puts forth as something attempting to resemble a reply?

pilamaye on November 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I can’t wait until the TSA is unionized, won’t that be grand.

Bishop on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Unions for federal government employees are a joke. Take it from a member of the NFFE, an organization that drops the ball more times than I can count. They are rarely taken seriously by management, and are toothless when push comes to shove. Watching the local’s antics this year has been embarrassing, and that’s with them being an improvement over 15 years ago. Trust me, they’re nothing to worry about.

manwithblackhat on November 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Well, the more there are, the more you can cringe.

manwithblackhat on November 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

There are thousands of fliers everyday… you can find what you want. The argument should remain on the Constitutional and practical end, not lean too heavily on the emotional end.

If the GOP starts to dismantle Obamacare (or other programs) you are going to see a nonstop parade of sob stories… among 300 million Americans, they’ll find as many stories as they want.

This is why I hate policy by anecdote.

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 2:58 PM

MrScribbler on November 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Not that interesting…we’ve seen how people who embarass this administration get demonized and destroyed.

That the TSA felt the need to try and intimidate the guy who captured this on video into deleting it tells me pretty much what I need to know. TSA screwed up and now they are in damage control mode. They lied about the scanners not being able to save images…why wouldn’t they lie about some autistic kid too?

JohnTant on November 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM

You know the signs in Customs that prohibit cell phone use and especially taking pictures? (and they are REALLY serious about it!)

How long before those prohibitive signs will be placed in conspicuous view as we clear “security” in 5-4-3-2……..

marybel on November 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The core “argument” … is actually the Constitution.

HondaV65 on November 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thank you for that… Btw… at 3 or so I asked her if I could give her a nick name (she had always insisted on her given name or maybe ‘baby’). I tryed a couple which she reject with a frown… eventually she said okay to Squeeky Pie… which fits her well!

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Why are you taking video of TSA procedures? What is your motive? What are your plans?

“Rodney King.”

The Monster on November 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Because of my AS when I first got involved with blogging and had to choose a handle, I picked ‘annoyinglittletwerp’.
It just seemed so…appropriate.
*grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 24, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Perhaps I’m fondly remembering a time that didn’t exist – having been born in 1981 I was certainly never alive during that time – but, I can’t imagine men in the 1950′s being alright with standing by while somebody touches his wife or children.

JadeNYU on November 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, but it’s been explained to us that profiling doesn’t work, because then they’ll just use people who don’t look like terrorists (even though they don’t even bother using people who aren’t on no fly lists). Terrorists have used the disabled before, so clearly this kid needed to be searched.

And anyone complaining about this now, would be complaining if Obama didn’t enforce this or something.

Esthier on November 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM

mankai on November 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

How’s this for a core argument?

We are being made to submit to sexual assault in violation of the fourth amendment in the name of security although it won’t really make us any safer, so long as we look for weapons instead of terrorists.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

…nail clippers and bottles of water do not have minds of their own and attack people and blow up,,a person does.

retiredeagle on November 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The problem is terrorists, and we are looking for weapons. I will trumpet this take-it-to-the-bank fact as many times as I need to.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM

God, I hope people continue to be infuriated by this cr@p from the TSA. I see these daily encroachments on our liberties by the Obama administration and I feel this sick sensation in the pit of my stomach.

If the public doesn’t stand up to the creeping police state this administration is imposing on us, we can kiss the country goodbye. The TSA controversy is just the latest. They want to see how much we will put up with. We’d better draw the line now, or submit because they’re going to keep coming as long as we put up with it.

hachiban on November 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Right now some member of Eco left are just enjoying life. They want to end all air travel and put people back in the stone age to save the plant. There is not a better way to stop air travel than making it embarrassing to fly. As they see AGW more dangerous than terrorism with the ends justify the means and to them ending air travel by nudging under direction of Cass Sunstein people out of the air and into the car they will destroy the industry. They already have the framework in the auto industry to make only what they as the government want even if the people don’t by nudging them out of the SUV by not making them.

This gorilla terrorism caused by the TSA under direction of Cass Sunstein will destroy the fragile airline companies more and any 19 men did on that terrible day.

tjexcite on November 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Many of these stories are not anecdotes, they are lawsuits against the TSA. The flight attendant who had to remover her prosthetic breast, the man with the urestomy, the woman whose blouse was pulled down, these are real cases.

Even if the TSA agent doesn’t go farther than the rules, these pictures show just how invasive it is:

Slideshow

I wouldn’t let my husband or sons touch me like that in public, why would I let a stranger do that?

It also looks like the people getting searched are the exact opposite of potential terrorists of any kind, just older middle-class Americans. Would you want someone doing this to your parents?

Common Sense on November 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM

DaveS on November 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

It’s not about the frequency with which it’s happening, at least not to me. Either we’re going to insist on preserving our personal liberties or we’re not. Just because it’s happening to some people and not to me doesn’t make it OK with me.

NoLeftTurn on November 24, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Esthier on November 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I really hope you are being sarcastic because both of your points are such BS.

CWforFreedom on November 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM

TSA has MIBS. “Here, look into my pen!” FLASH…

Dandapani on November 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM

mobydutch on November 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

You know, that’s the germ of a hella good idea for those effing machines, and the whole effin’ TSA too.

…may’ve been snark, but it’s pure-dee win-win. Kudos!

davisbr on November 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM

No psyche work on the TSA folks, either. You just don’t know what kind of people will be doing the pat-down.

Remember, its ‘for the children’.

ajacksonian on November 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM