How low will he go? Obama hits 39% job approval

posted at 7:28 am on November 23, 2010 by Andrew Malcolm

Turns out voters were not simply satisfied to spank the Democratic president and his party in the Nov. 2 midterm elections with historic losses in the House of Representatives.

Obama’s job approval rating as calculated by the latest Zogby Poll has now dropped to 39%, a new low for his 22-month presidency that began with so much hope, excitement and poll numbers up around 70. As recently as Sept. 20, his job approval was 49%.

A whopping 60% now disapprove of Barack Obama’s job, up from 51% disapproval on Sept. 20.

Obama now trails in hypothetical 2012 matchups against Republicans Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and the next Bush, Jeb.

Most embarrassing of all for the 44th president, he’s slipped into a statistical tie with none other than Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor shown by other polls to be seen as unqualified for the presidency. So it appears many have now decided, on second thought, Obama is too.

Obama began losing the support of independents in mid-2009 when he focused on his beloved healthcare scheme while voters were of the opinion that the economy was Job One. Only 39% of independents approve of Obama’s performance. Only six percent of Republicans do, not surprisingly. But younger voters, also crucial in the ex-state senator’s convincing defeat of John McCain, now approve by only 42%.

Nearly seven-in-ten likely voters (69%) say the country is on the wrong track, not the best sign for incumbents.

Most ominous for the president, Zogby notes, is that he’s now losing support among his own Democratic party. Obama’s approval faded from 78% down to 72% in just one week.

Obama, John Zogby writes, “is failing to please more than one-fourth of his own party’s voters. This is a perilous position for the President.”

Former governor Romney fares the best against Obama (44-38%), then comes Gingrich (43%-39%), then another former governor, Jeb Bush (40%-38%), who says he is not running. Palin ties (40%-41%). Obama does, however, blow away developer Donald Trump (39%-29%) and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (32%-13%), neither of which were state senators.

(Malcolm is the Top of the Ticket blogger at latimes.com/ticket  )

Comments

In the 30′s… AT LAST!!

Khun Joe on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM

I can’t believe he’s as high as 39%, what is there to approve of in his administration?

hip shot on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Nothing a little drama can’t fix. By mid summer next year those approval ratings will be right back up there. You just watch.

Skandia Recluse on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Half of my family are Unionized life long Democrats who now hate this guy with a passion. They also have been trained to hate Republicans, therefore their interest in the Tea Party as a viable option.

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

…the former Alaska governor shown by other polls to be seen as unqualified for the presidency.

Excuse me, but did those polls ask ‘whether she was qualified’ to be prez, or rather ‘would you support her if she ran’?

petefrt on November 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM

How are thing going with … Jobs, Jobs, Jobs .. Mr. President?

J_Crater on November 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM

He inherited, I say, he inherited those approval numbers from BOOOOOOSH!

Sekhmet on November 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

So how exactly does the Tea Party supporting just all Republicans play with your family? And Obama is giving away all our wealth to unions. That doesn’t encourage your family members?

NotCoach on November 23, 2010 at 7:44 AM

The headline is that he’s tied with Palin.
Just wait till she announces and gives policy speeches that millions listen to outside of the blogosphere.

She’s not electable? Give me a break.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 7:49 AM

NotCoach on November 23, 2010 at 7:44 AM

The Tea party offers them a choice other than voting Republican. They are of the belief (for the moment) that the TP is replacing establishment Republicans with their own, thus taking over a party one election at a time. They are also aware that the Union way of life is going to end, and rightfully so. The corruption benefits those at the top only, and the average union worker is not benefiting in the short term nor the long term. Broke is broke and even these brainwashed people see the cliff a-coming.

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

It is getting to the place that if they put B.O. up against a wet soggy sponge, the sponge would still win hands down, and most likely by a landslide.

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM

He’s imploding on himself. This is scary considering the kind of guy he is.

/I hope he doesn’t punish us

Key West Reader on November 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I hope he doesn’t punish us

Key West Reader on November 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM

You mean as in ordering the TSA to now employ full body cavity searches?

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM

It would be funny if Hillary really doesn’t run.
She could be lying, but you never know.

If O really truly is crashing and burning and his number never recover and she really doesn’t want to run (yeah I know), they are so screwed.

I think they are already doomed tho Hillary or no Hillary.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM

petefrt on November 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I think there was at least one poll recently that asked if she was qualified. It’s ABC News/WaPo, though.

Missy on November 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM

“the big difference is you have me”.

ramrants on November 23, 2010 at 8:02 AM

like i said in an earlier thread…the msm will only tout those polls which show the highest rating for dear leader…they are now touting the gallup poll showing him at 42%….

this poll *crickets chirping*

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

You mean as in ordering the TSA to now employ full body cavity searches?

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Yup. And no vote on Bush Tax Cut extensions, full speed ahead on Dream Act, Card Check, Cap-n-Tax and a National Sales Tax during the lame duck session…. The man hates us. The feeling is mutual.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

It would be funny if Hillary really doesn’t run.
She could be lying, but you never know.
B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM

What?!!!!

A CLINTON lying?!!!!!

Impossible! Absolutely impossible!

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Maybe this is how a new political party is born in the 21st century. The Tea Party runs the Mike Castles, Susan Collinses, and Olympia Snowes out of the GOP and then absorbs any conservative Democrats. The new GOP is a party of constitutionalists while the new Democratic party is a bunch of big government types squabbling over how to spend the taxpayers’ money, assuming they ever get into power again.

Kafir on November 23, 2010 at 8:05 AM

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Wow. I don’t really watch MSM news anymore, but if the best they can do is gallop at 42%, that’s really low.

Figure 25% of that is the true believers who probably are mad at him but are lying to pollsters.

So you got 75-80% of the country not approving of him now.
Dude is toast.
Meltdown mode approaching.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:07 AM

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM

For some reason maybe I’m a little too gullible, but I actually kinda beleive her.

Stupid of me, I know. She must know she can’t win. She’s many things, but she’s not a dope.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM

You mean as in ordering the TSA to now employ full body cavity searches?

pilamaye on November 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM

That’s just part of Obamacare. Mandatory prostate screenings will save money. Now please report to your nearest major airport, form a single file line, bend over and await the gentle touch of the Obama regime.

trubble on November 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Dude is toast.
Meltdown mode approaching.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:07 AM

sure hope so…cuz you know cousin pookie just might get his couch in ’12…

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM

get off

*pouring another cup of coffee*

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Mid term elections are behind us now, but the TP movement continues to grow.

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow…

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Reagan was at a low at about this time in his term BUT the big difference was that Reagan had a solid vision about how his policies were going to lead the US out of the Carter mess. With this presideuce all we have to look forward to is more poverty, destruction, angst and sorrow. Bastid.

I wish he would feign PMS and step down.

Key West Reader on November 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Yeah well is cousin pookie gonna get off his couch to vote if Uncle O isn’t on the ballot because the Man ditched him?

Don’t think so.

Screwed.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM

heh

cmsinaz on November 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM

If this is what smart power looks like, can we have something a little more mediocre, please?

BobMbx on November 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM

It’s about to go much lower.

North Korea attacked the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong and is vowing continued “merciless strikes”. (See Drudge.)

The entire world is less safe when there’s a wimp in the White House.

At times like these, I miss Bush.

obladioblada on November 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM

In the 30′s… AT LAST!!

Khun Joe on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Otherwise known as the Job Disapproval Death Spiral.

steveegg on November 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM

If he hits 30%, he bombs Iran.

Basilsbest on November 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM

The entire world is less safe when there’s a wimp in the White House.

At times like these, I miss Bush.

obladioblada on November 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM

You betcha…

Dopenstrange on November 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Sponge Bob Square Pants 56%
Barry the Jellyfish 38%

either orr on November 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I can’t get over that 39% number. That is really extraordinary for just 2 years in. With the media so in the tank for him. This proves that people don’t believe the msm at all.

Guy’s not even been POTUS 2 years, the media’s been as positive as they can be, and look where he is.
He started out at 75%. 22 months later he’s at 39%
Wow.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Sponge Bob Square Pants 56%
Barry the Jellyfish 38%

either orr on November 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

LMAO!

Key West Reader on November 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Gallup has him +1 at 47. As he’s no doubt been told numerous times this morning.

Marcus on November 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I hate to be a buzzkill, but…it’s Zogby.

flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

How low will he go?

0?

Fake8 on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

39% Fav, 60% Unfav. Now tell me again that Palin is the most POLARIZING candidate in 2012. Wouldn’t a SANE person say that his 39%, 60% is worse than even the phoney 40%, 52% poll for Palin???

I will take the lead: This POLARIZING president is just so Polarizingly Polarizing.

Dan Pet on November 23, 2010 at 8:45 AM

flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

To steal the POTUS’s car metaphor for a post,
it’s like saying a car that has no brakes is going 75 instead of 85 down a hill.

The car is gonna crash and it’s gonna be ugly. Whether it’s going 75 or 85 don’t matter.

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Considering that Zogby is the in-the-tank-for-Dems poll, this is really something.

ebrown2 on November 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM

You’re right, of course. But I’ll keep my champagne on ice until another pollster or two report Obama below 40%. It WILL happen, probably sooner rather than later.

flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM

If you ran a poll and 78% of the respondents said they believe the President is crazy, the msm wound report that 78% of the people believe the president.

BruceB on November 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM

“By mid summer next year those approval ratings will be right back up there. You just watch.
Skandia Recluse on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM”

Agreed. Maybe not next year, but in ’12 his base will come out for him, no matter the circumstances. A 5 point poll advantage for Mitt or whomever is not enough.

KS Rex on November 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM

B Man on November 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM

It’s already ugly for my family; don’t know about the rest of you. My entire financial planning for my retirement (57 years old) has been destroyed following some 39 years of full time employment and planning. My home, my investments, my career have all taken serious hits over the past two years, with no end in sight. I fight the urge to take people I know who voted for this man and beat them over the head with an ugly stick.

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

If he hits 30%, he bombs Iran.

Basilsbest on November 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM

You got it.

rrpjr on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

The democrat party of slavery, segregation, and abortion will always be with us in some form or another. As long as there are those willing to be bought, the dems will be there to sell them bread and circus for votes.

Obama is the tip of the dem spear but he is their choice. They went from a sex-offender and accused rapist to a Chicago socialist. The only way up is down for them.

Mojave Mark on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Just in case it needs to be said: NO MORE BUSHES!!!!! Nice people, very decent family and I like them personally, but bad governing philosophy. Plus the whole appearance of a dynasty. Very UN-American. If Jeb runs it must be because the RINOs want him. If you want McCain, Graham, Murkowski, Snowe and Collins to have the most influence, vote for Jeb.

How would Obama compare to Huckabee? Hopefully it will be polled and Obama will blow him away. Sorry Huck fans, I don’t trust the guy.

JimP on November 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

You’re not alone, brother. There’ll be no retirement for me. I’ve been wiped out like the Dems were on Nov. 2nd.

JimP on November 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I simply can’t believe that people think that Sarah is unqualified when we have the likes of Mittens, the Father of Romneycare and the Grandfather of Obamacare, and Jeb, the third-time loser of the Bush clan. By the way, doesn’t the Bush family have a talking dog named Duke? Oops, sorry, those Bushes only sell beans…

Mr. Grump on November 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I’d bet it was the election — a bunch of lefties disapproving now because his midterm losses make him look ineffectual at passing their agenda into law.

Count to 10 on November 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

JimP on November 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Same here. 5-month layoff for me pretty much screwed any plans for retirement for me. I’ll be 51 in December and don’t see retirement on the horizon.

flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Out of curiosity, what’s the record for lowest approval rating (and/or highest disapproval rating) for a President halfway through his first term?

I’m guessing 39% is pretty far up the list.

Professor Blather on November 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Since Sarah Palin consistently hits lower 50′s in disapproval, and is thus labeled “divisive” by the J-Tard community, what will O’Tardo be labeled as, at 60% disapproval?

MNHawk on November 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I hate to be a buzzkill, but…it’s Zogby.

flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Zogby Interactive to be more specific. In other words, an online poll.

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I hate to be a buzzkill, but…it’s Zogby.
flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Saw that too. Bummer. Let’s hope Ras or Gallup deliver a lump of coal in his stocking for Christmas.

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Keemo on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

JimP on November 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I’m in the same boat, let the good time’s roll!

heshtesh on November 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM

FLIP-FLOP AND HESHTESH:

Thanks for the comisseration fellas. Good luck.

JimP on November 23, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Unexpectedly? NOT!!!

capejasmine on November 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM

As the man in the elevator said, “Going DOWN!”

GarandFan on November 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Why as high as 39%?

-12% blacks who are racists.
-12% stupid people who if asked if the moon is made of cheese will answer yes.
-15% of Americans that believe socialism is the best way to run the American economy and government. This is the result of two generations of Americans going through government thug union-controlled K-12.

slickwillie2001 on November 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Zogby Interactive to be more specific. In other words, an online poll.

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Yes and no. Yes, it’s an online poll. But they are extensive. It’s not like a one button poll you see the front page of a website.

I happen to be one of the people Zogby polls. I have done it for about 3 years now.

The polls are extensive and time consuming. Most of the polls take me about 10 minutes to do. They come in my email and it’s not like some random web page someone can come in and click over and over and over to skew the results.

The only thing I would say is bad about the polling is that the people who do it are volunteers like myself who signed up for it. It’s not a random set of people.

But the good thing about it is it provide a consistent “mood” feedback. Because they’re always using the same people, generally speaking, they get to see how the mood changes with these people.

To totally dismiss the poll without knowing how it works is just as bad as using numbers from a bad poll.

ButterflyDragon on November 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Weird.

You know recent newspaper polls say most Americans support Obamacare and are even interested in expanding it.

So why the low approval ratings, wingnuts?

Dorvillian on November 23, 2010 at 12:37 PM

What were Bush’s approval ratings two years in? I thought he might have been low too…just wondering because I don’t want to get too excited *yet*. I would love it if Obama doesn’t get re-elected…but I think the majority of black people will still vote for him, and latinos too, some stupid white people…that doesn’t leave a big segment of the population. I hope I’m wrong…

mcplumbercuda on November 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Only 39% of independents approve of Obama’s performance. Only six percent of Republicans do, not surprisingly. But younger voters, also crucial in the ex-state senator’s convincing defeat of John McCain, now approve by only 42%.

and it would be worse if the media did their job.
Anybody talk to that woman who at the inauguration said she didnt have to worry about putting gas in her car and paying rent or whatever. Hey lady how do you like him now?

Greed on November 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Should be in the twenties.

Artificially high.

petunia on November 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM

As long as the blacks remain almost unanimous behind Obama, the lowest of his approval ratings are probably about there.The fact that anyone with a double digit IQ knows he is totally incompetent just proves there are segments of lifeforms who will always deny reality.

volsense on November 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM

He inherited, I say, he inherited those approval numbers from BOOOOOOSH!

Sekhmet on November 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM

OMG!! 8^D

leftnomore on November 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM

hate to be a buzzkill, but…it’s Zogby.
flipflop on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

conservative pilgrim on November 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Zogby polls are notoriously all over the map, and there’s bound to be one next week showing Obama beating all GOP candidates by double-digits.

But it’s not clear that Rasmussen polls were very reliable this year. A lot of HotAir readers like them, because they tend to give Republicans better numbers than some of the other polling outfits, but how accurate are they?

The above link compares the actual election results to the last Rasmussen polls for this year’s Senate elections. In order to correct for “undecided” voters in polls who eventually either decide or don’t vote, I compared the Republican margin in the actual election (negative if the Democrat won) with the Republican margin in the last Rasmussen poll (%R – %D).

On average, Rasmussen over-predicted the Republican margin by 2.8% (net +94% in 33 races) compared to actual election results. To be fair, +40% of that was from the Hawaii race–removing that outlier brings the average over-prediction down to 1.7%. Rasmussen over-predicted the Republican margin in 24 states, under-predicted in 8 states, and predicted correctly in one state (KY).

The states in which Rasmussen under-predicted the Republican margin were Republican blowouts anyway (AL, AZ, ID, IA, KS, MO, NH, OK).

But Rasmussen polls also predicted the wrong winner in 4 states:

AK: Ras: Miller +1 actual Murkowski +5
CO: Ras: R+4 actual R-1
NV: Ras: R+4 actual R-5
WA: Ras: R+1 actual R-4

In both IL and PA, Rasmussen predicted R+4, but actual elections were closer at R+2. In CA, Rasmussen showed Fiorina within striking distance at R-3, but she lost by 10.

HotAir readers like to think of Rasmussen polls as being “less biased” than other polls, but are they TOO optimistic for Republicans? Does Rasmussen over-poll Republicans or under-poll Democrats, or miss some “likely” voters that do show up, and maybe vote Democrat?

Steve Z on November 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Steve Z on November 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Scott Brown is the reason I pay attention to Rasmussen. When Rasmussen polled Brown leading and everybody else and their grandmother had Martha Coakley leading by a wide margin (Some by double digits), everyone laughed at the Rasmussen poll.

And well, we see what happened.

ButterflyDragon on November 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Diclaimer: I participated in Zogby’s online polls for several years myself, starting in the late 1990s. I gave up after the 2000 election.

I do agree that Zog’s online polls are very thorough, but he often throws odd questions in there that have nothing to do with what he’s trying to find out. And it still is an online poll.

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Steve Z on November 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

LOL, shouldn’t we wait for a Rasmussen Poll thread to beat up on Scott? This is a beat up on John Zogby poll thread.

Zogby once told Fox News that he polled on certain days of the week to favor a certain political party. And A few years back he went totally in the tank for a D candidate for state office in NY State.

I’ve not heard Rasmussen ever admit to similar behavior.

Del Dolemonte on November 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM

How low will he go? Obama hits 39% job approval

He is giving doing the limbo a whole new meaning.

rukiddingme on November 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM

The more transparency the lower the approval numbers. Soetoro = the Ford Pinto of politicians.

BHO Jonestown on November 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Steve Z on November 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I forgot where I read this, but the NV difference (Rasmussen being off by 9 points) was the difference in the GOTV effort by the unions. They rallied madly to get out the vote. The governor race flipped by 9 points towards the D by the same margin that Reid flipped in the poll. However, the R Governor had enough of a lead to overcome that flip from the prediction.

I think the GOTV also was superior by the unions in CA and WA. Rasmussen is going to have to figure in the power that the government unions and SEIU have in the blue states. They are mad serious about counting their votes and knowing where to go find their voters. I am not sure how many of those extra votes were from LEGALLY entitled people to vote, but until we have a uniform voter ID law in the land, we will be vulnerable to electioneering by people determined to sway the outcome of an election.

karenhasfreedom on November 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM

How low will he go?

Echoing my long standing prediction… 30% and not a penny less. Allows for all the black racists, mentally disturbed leftists, MSM types, union thugs… and those who still believe that Obama is going to some day pay their rent… All of whom will die worshiping the Suit that Reads.

RalphyBoy on November 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM