George H.W. Bush: Romney’s my favorite in 2012

posted at 1:24 pm on November 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

Short of a crown physically being placed on Mitt’s head, this is as close as we’re likely to get to an official coronation of him as the establishment choice in the primaries. I was giggling while watching it, trying to imagine his reaction as the most RINO-y president of modern times gives him a very public thumbs up, but actually this shouldn’t hurt much. The base is already lost to him thanks to RomneyCare, so the best he can hope for now is to consolidate his position among centrists/anti-Palinists. And the Bushes did him a major solid on that front: Not only do they both talk him up, but when pressed on other candidates they like, they mentioned only Pawlenty, Haley Barbour, and Bobby Jindal (who almost certainly isn’t running). The omission of Mitch Daniels, a potential genuine threat to Romney, is conspicuous given Daniels’s service in Dubya’s administration. I wonder if that was mere absent-mindedness or a deliberate snub. Ah well. No mystery, though, as to why they failed to mention Palin; Barbara’s contempt for her, in particular, is obvious.

Incidentally, now that we’ve got the Bushes sniping at her and Karl Rove criticizing her show and her fans, does that make this hotly disputed Daily News piece from earlier this month any more credible? Palin supporters bristled at the idea that Dubya might have been privately critical of her, but I’m not sure why. Tea partiers are forever reminding us that the movement is as much a reaction to Bush 43 as it is to Obama; if the man behind TARP and years of ballooning deficits doesn’t think much of Palin, that only proves her conservative cred, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

so why won’t it happen? Sarah would never endorse? See you in 6 mo!

drballard on November 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Sarah would never endorse Flip Flopney unless he’s our 2012 nominee…and only then would she do it through gritted teeth.
Hide and watch.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Most commenters on HA actually have a favorable view of the Governor.

steebo77 on November 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I have a favorable view of her too; I just don’t want her to run for President.

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I have a favorable view of her too; I just don’t want her to run for President.

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Why ever not?
It’s her a$$ not yours.
Why couldn’t and shouldn’t she run?

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Bless the Bush’s hearts…Should we expect anything less than an endorsement of a RINO from 41 and Mrs. Bush, regardless of the year, regardless of the race, regardless of the consequences?

Gohawgs on November 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Why ever not?
It’s her a$$ not yours.
Why couldn’t and shouldn’t she run?

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM

It has nothing to do with her a$$ or mine, I think Palin winning the nomination is as good as handing Obama a congradulatory note on his next four years. If she wins the nomination, I will of course, vote for her. I do not however, think the independents will.

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Its time for the Dynastys to end!
The Bush, Kennedy, Clintoon, Murkookski, Dodd, Obiden, all the Dynastys should end. This is The USA not England, politicians seats should not be handed down generation to generation!

dhunter on November 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM

This is a tired, old, incoherent argument, that is only designed to discourage Sarah and her supporters and at least half who use it are Demrats anyway!

Why the hell should Sarah Palin not throw her hat in the ring and make her best argument and let the country decide who has the best ideas and solutions?

Sarah was right on Obamacare when everyone else was silently gettin their asses handed to em…Death Panels changed the tone!
She is the only Repub taklin the fight to the Rats on a daily basis or AT ALL for that matter!

She is the only candidate that has withstood the viscious media vetting and attacks and only become stronger.

She of all people has earned the right to be heard and have her ideas and policies be considered for 2012. She has risked a lot worked her butt off and to say she shouldn’t run, couldn’t win is just plain idiotic!
She has earned her shot at the Presidential Seal a hell of a lot more than anyone else I can think of!

dhunter on November 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM

dhunter on November 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM

It may be a tired, incoherent arguement, but that doesn’t invalidate it. I agree with much of what you say, but it has been my, (anecdotal!) experience that there is no woman, more disliked by far too many Americans, than Sarah Palin. I hear it everywhere I go- BY CONSERVATIVES! And from what I’ve read here tonight, it “sounds” like Sarah Palin acknowledges it herself. Her infamy is/has become a distraction; Unfair? Unfortunate? Yeah, but it’s true all the same.

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sarah would never endorse Flip Flopney

Willard “Flip” Flopney? LOLOL!

Thread winner!

Emperor Norton on November 23, 2010 at 8:48 PM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I hear the opposite–so there you are for anecdotal “evidence.”
As for Sarah “acknowledges it herself?” What?! Right now, she’s signing her book for 3 hours in Phoenix for an army of people who love her and some of whom have been there since 1:00 AM.
Candidates for President don’t think about “unfair” or “unfortunate” when they run for our nation’s highest office.
Or they shouldn’t.
Sarah has a servant’s heart and she’s imminently likable.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM

No to RINO Romney.

Dandapani on November 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Ah and why should I care what the Bush’s think? Didn’t the last election indicate we’re sick of the “old guard” Republicans? And, if Barbara Bush can’t keep her contempt of young, upcoming Sarah to herself maybe she should just stay in Texas!

Hobbes on November 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Of course you’re going to find support for Palin at her own book signing! If you surround yourself with like minded people, you’re bound to find much to agree upon. I spend 60-70% of my business life traveling; I initiate conversations with a variety of people on a variety of subjects, and whether you are inclined to be openminded about what I’m telling you or not, I find that a lot of people just want her to go away. Her support within the base has strengthened, while her support from “conservatives” and independents has not. And like I told you the other night, getting ugly with other conservatives in not the way to get your point across.

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM

So let me get this straight….they’ll criticize the conservative Palin, but refuse to criticize the ultra-liberal, “enemy”-bashing, partisan President.

Livefreeordie on November 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I hear it everywhere I go- BY CONSERVATIVES!

That’s because an astonishingly large number of conservatives, despite the events of the past two years, are still conditioned to seek the acceptance and respect of the media/establishment/elite through displays of “intelligence” and “pragmatism” which consist wholly of spouting drivel about “big tents” and “lack of gravitas.”

steebo77 on November 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Hobbes on November 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM

If she refuses, maybe someone could find an appropriately-sized jar to stuff her in?

steebo77 on November 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Maybe so, but it still won’t get her elected and isn’t that the goal, to get rid of Obama?

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Obama is just a symptom of what’s wrong.

The GOP is also part of the problem and guys like Romney and Huckabee are not that much different than Obama. They differ by degrees more than beliefs.

sharrukin on November 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

My point is, why don’t we quit letting “them” influence our choices so much and instead focus on influencing the vast, still-persuadable middle that’s already more-inclined-than-not to agree with our principles?

steebo77 on November 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM

O

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I wasn’t ugly to you and my anecdotal evidence wasn’t from one of her book signings but just among my friends…
BTW, I’m curious as to why you’re asking your business travel buddies about Sarah Palin and not about Obama and the economic problems he’s created–he is the one actually in power and implementing actual policies while she’s a private citizen with a TV show on TLC.

Jenfidel on November 24, 2010 at 1:13 AM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Distraction from what or whom?
From the disaster of Obama’s presidency?

BTW, you can’t distract people who don’t want to be distracted…

Jenfidel on November 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM

SuperCool on November 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Oh no, If Sarah does this, it’ll take the nation down to another low -the next thing you know, we’ll have people, like movie stars, peanut farmers and community organizers running, thinking they could miraculously win.

Don L on November 24, 2010 at 5:00 AM

I guess Daniels is off the radar for 2012 after Mr. & Mrs. Bush 41 threw him under the bus by not mentioning his name…But, they like Bill Clinton…

Gohawgs on November 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM

just another reason not for vote for Romney-care….

yeah we really need someone bush likes…God help us.

right4life on November 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM

anniekc on November 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM

First of all, you need to stop thinking of independents as a voting block. Many of them are conservatives and libertarians who left the Republican party in disgust over the elitist RINO establishment candidates being forced on us. (I came REAL close to joining them.) In one survey of independents I saw, conservative independents outnumbered liberals by 2-to-1. Considering the makeup of independents, and the latest surveys that show them running from Obama, I’m not as worried.

dominigan on November 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I hope Sarah follows Barbara Bush’s advice.

After the Book Tour, Sarah and family may hibernate to say, Australia or Canada and stay there until November 3, 2012.

And I hope John McCain runs again in 2012.

WHAT A SIGHT TO BEHOLD!

TheAlamos on November 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM

“How on earth did the GOP ever get the label as the party of blue bloods and country club types?/—–
Swear to God, the Bushes, Romney, Rove, it’s like they go out of their way to be the “Balls and Shaft” parody of Republicans presented in PCU…”
SuperCool on November 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Thread winner, IMO. And totally accurate.
Way to go SuperCool!