Be thankful, you’ll feel better

posted at 6:30 pm on November 23, 2010 by Fausta Wertz

Thanksgiving Day is just two days away, and now there’s scientific evidence that being thankful is good for you:

Adults who frequently feel grateful have more energy, more optimism, more social connections and more happiness than those who do not, according to studies conducted over the past decade. They’re also less likely to be depressed, envious, greedy or alcoholics. They earn more money, sleep more soundly, exercise more regularly and have greater resistance to viral infections.

Now, researchers are finding that gratitude brings similar benefits in children and adolescents. Kids who feel and act grateful tend to be less materialistic, get better grades, set higher goals, complain of fewer headaches and stomach aches and feel more satisfied with their friends, families and schools than those who don’t, studies show.

There’s even a gratitude quiz.

Not that gratitude is that easy to attain,

gratitude is actually a demanding, complex emotion that requires “self-reflection, the ability to admit that one is dependent upon the help of others, and the humility to realize one’s own limitations,” Dr. Emmons says.

Ah, humility. Where would us bloggers be without it?

Cross-posted at Fausta’s blog.

Comments

They’re also less likely to be alcoholics.

I’m grateful on a daily basis.

Define alcoholic.

Bishop on November 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I’m thankful every day that I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a car that runs and a job to drive it to.

The Ugly American on November 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I have Dr. Robert Emmons’ book, Thanks. I found sections of it both profound and fascinating.

INC on November 23, 2010 at 6:41 PM

We live in an era of unprecedented wealth and luxury.

Let us be grateful instead of apathetic

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I’ll be even more thankful two years from now.

Kini on November 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Please end Sarah $$$$$$$$$$!!
Holiday time and all, I volunteered to ring the bell.

OmahaConservative on November 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Please end SEND Sarah $$$$$$$$$$!!
Holiday time and all, I volunteered to ring the bell.

OmahaConservative on November 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Correction.

OmahaConservative on November 23, 2010 at 6:49 PM

What is most gratifying about being thankful, grateful and humble is the blessing derived from the knowledge that old satan and his apprentices can’t stand it.

fourdeucer on November 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Well Fausta got the hang of the links. :)

upinak on November 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Oh, I am a sucker for this Norman Rockwell stuff. I went to find a copy of Freedom From Want and instead found a cover I have never seen before: ThanksGiving

It depicts a young Italian girl thankful for the food given to her by a GI and the loan of his jacket.

Blake on November 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I fell off my roof a month ago, been confined to the couch since, just found out my company screwed up my short term disability paperwork and has ‘forgotten’ to pay me the past three weeks so I am 2 grand overdrawn and my wife found a bong in my college-age kids room.

… But as the song goes: “Sounds like life to me.”

Wouldn’t trade living in this country for anything, and while I wish I would have been a little more careful on the roof, spending a Nebraska Winter on the couch doesn’t sound so bad after all.

I am thankful every day I hear someone call me “Dad”

cntrlfrk on November 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Define alcoholic.

Bishop on November 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM

*whispers* That would be…us.

We live in an era of unprecedented wealth and luxury.

Let us be grateful instead of apathetic

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Cheers to that.

JetBoy on November 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM

gratitude is actually a demanding, complex emotion that requires “self-reflection, the ability to admit that one is dependent upon the help of others, and the humility to realize one’s own limitations”

So, in otherwords being grateful is a socialist thing…

;-P

angrywonk on November 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM

*whispers* That would be…us.

I’m not an alcoholic. I just enjoy alcohol very often

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM

It’s FiveO’Clock somewhere!..:)

Dire Straits on November 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM

cntrlfrk on November 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Get well sir, stock up on some good books, Lee Child has a new one out with Nebraska as the state of his plot.

fourdeucer on November 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’ll be even more thankful two years from now.

Kini on November 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I’ll drink to that!..:)

Dire Straits on November 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Be thankful, you’ll feel better

True

Zorro on November 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Whether you consume turkey or ham on Thursday, the main ingredient of your dinner ought to be thanks-giving.

itsnotaboutme on November 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM

No one ever produced any progress by hugging and singing kumbaya, together.

I’m grateful for that.

Schadenfreude on November 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM

my wife found a bong in my college-age kids room.

That’s a tough one to deal with.

I wouldn’t freak out yet (not saying you have either).

Know plenty of kids who smoke the ganj and do work and are responsible for themselves. Also know plenty who smoke the ganja and are total fck ups.

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Blake on November 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Great find!

Cindy Munford on November 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I have everything in the world to be grateful for and I try not to forget it.

Cindy Munford on November 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I’m thankful that someday I’ll leave this crumbling nation to be a citizen of heaven…I just wish that day would come in the near future.

cntrlfrk on November 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM

My sympathies; drug problems at college age are harder to deal with. Harder still is that you must not knowingly allow the law to be broken under your roof, even if only to protect yourself from consequences.

Tell bong-boy his equipment and stash are hereby verboten in the house on pain of eviction, offer whatever wise counsel you can…and then pray. That’s about all you can do short of calling the cops yourself.

At that age there are some choices your kid is just going to have to make on his own. This is one of them.

Dark-Star on November 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

BB, you know the corollary is true as well – I was a ’70s high school/college grad and I knew plenty of kids who didn’t smoke the ganj and who grew up, worked and became responsible adults, and I knew plenty of kids who didn’t smoke the ganj, grew up and became total fck ups.

PatMac on November 23, 2010 at 8:32 PM

my status on facebook today:
Today I’m thankful for being born in the EXCEPTIONAL U S of A. A country that is better by far than most nations of this world.I’m able to worship the God I choose,I can walk the streets without military people checking my ID every couple of blocks.I have the opportunity to work the type of job I choose and get a higher education IF I want it.I have a roof over my head and food on my table.PTL that I was born here.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

rocnrae on November 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM

PatMac on November 23, 2010 at 8:32 PM

lol yup

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM

We have some level of thanksgiving for our present national circumstances. We have met a whole new group of like-minded friends from all over the USA and been to DC twice. We are on a first name basis with our elected officials. People are reading and discussing the US Constitution like never before in recent memory. Adversity brings out strengths you never knew you had. Life and liberty- a lot to be thankful for indeed!

indypat on November 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I’m thankful that I have enough First Amendment rights remaining to proclaim that Borat Hussein Thugbama is the biggest bag of camel droppings ever to sit in the office that is oval. May he dance in prison with fellow lenninist Lynne Stewart, who has more facial hair than he does.

Western_Civ on November 23, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I thank God EVERY DAY for my many blessings (none of which I deserve)– and especially for returning my Marine son from Afghanistan to Camp Pendleton on November 28!

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on November 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Blake on November 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Went to the Normal Rockwell museum a few weeks back and got to see lots of original artwork including the painting on the Hot Air main page and the one Blake linked to. If you are ever in the SW MA area, go check it out. The actual paintings are much more impressive than the magazine covers.

Snidely Whiplash on November 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM

I’m thankful I live in the United States

I’ve lived everywhere else man, and there’s no place like here

Kini on November 24, 2010 at 5:33 AM

We live in an era of unprecedented wealth and luxury.

Let us be grateful instead of apathetic

blatantblue on November 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM

You must either own a gun store or sell gold.

DanaSmiles on November 24, 2010 at 5:53 AM