Palin: No more interviews with Katie Couric

posted at 9:08 pm on November 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Something to whet your appetite in case you’re watching her big interview tonight with Hannity. In hindsight, I think the most revealing thing about that NYT magazine profile of her over the weekend was that it happened at all. If she’s willing to venture out of the Fox News/talk radio fold and sit for an hour-long chat with a Times reporter, she’s clearly thinking about extending her media reach beyond the right — which is yet another sign that she’s running. In fact, she even alludes to branching out media-wise at the beginning of the clip here. The key question, then (apart from asking what ever happened to her advice to “speak through Fox News”): Will she start doing the Sunday morning chat shows now, or maybe the nightly network newscasts? She says, “I will speak to reporters who still understand that cornerstone of our democracy, that expectation that the public has for truth to be reported.” I’d say Jake Tapper qualifies for that. How about it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

if Palin consciously decides to cut them out of her loop as well it is a tactical mistake.

Bradky on November 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

agreed and it is why Palin would never do that. After making this statement what do you think the ratings will be when Palin finally goes on the Sunday shows? Do you think the ratings will be higher than when Obama went on. And all those people tuning in to see her dethroned and destroyed will in the end give her grudging respect when she handles herself well. This is why Palin continues to get the eyeballs. she always lowers the bar herself then she can step over the lower bar. most politicans have staff that tries to do that. She does it on instinct.

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Superb, Brian!
+1,000,000

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Dude let me do your parents job. Life is not fair. Im sorry no one ever told you that but its true.

snoopicus on November 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM

when you are in a poker game that is fixed and playing with a stacked deck are you smart or stupid to get up from the table?

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

She’s already vaulted well beyond the seige lines of leftist media.
And yes, Katie’s part of that Leftist media.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I think you are mistaken if you think she can run for President while stiff arming the entire Democrat Liberal Media Complex. That is not true, she will have to go into some of these shows and face them head on. Like Meet the Press, for example. Sure, Gregory is a complete tool, but I think going in there would do a world of good for the perceptions that many people still have about her. This must be confronted, and dealt with if she is to be successful politically.

I am simply making the case that Katie Couric, in particular, is not anyone so special that she HAS to do anything with her. It isn’t fear in my view, it is PUNISHMENT. Give the scoop to Diane Sawyer instead.

She did this with Late Night TV already. She stiffed Letterman, but went on Conan opposite him, and did great.

I have said she can play these media people against each other, exploiting their need to get the Big Story, which is Sarah Palin. Katie doesn’t deserve it, but she will have to do these things around the other places. She cannot stiff arm the entire media together, or the “dodging” and “afraid” meme will have some legs then.

She knows this, I am certain.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM

She is doing fine, her book will be a smash hit, her show is a smash hit, and we will have to wait until after Valentine’s Day at least for any official campaign announcement.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM

she made the NYT buckle to her. Most candidates will run to the NYT when they crook their finger. she made them run to her. that in itself is a big accomplishment. As far as the announcment I think it will be feb 6th Reagan’s 100th and super bowl sunday. I think Palin will buy some ad time. a short 30-60 sec ad saying she is running. The media expsoure itself would be worth the money .

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM

snoopicus on November 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Again, I’m not a “dude.”
And I find your attempt to drag my parents into this discussion extremely invasive and offensive.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM

She knows this, I am certain.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Who knows?
I personally have no idea what Sarah plans to do when or with whom, but I know she’s not afraid nor does she dodge the media…
Her instincts are golden.
She only walked into the Katie interview like a sheep to the slaughter because Nicolle Wallace told her that Katie “liked her” and that the interview was going to be a slam dunk, if you’ll pardon the Tenet expression.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Bradky on November 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Yeah, really. Couric has run CBS’s ratings into the ground.

Blake on November 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM

BTW, David Gregory was “the man” when he picked on President Bush. Now, he’s MIA virtually.
Tapper’s the main press guy…for now.
As for Katie, do we know if she’ll even be the CBS headliner in 2012?

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM

This is hilarious. According to the left and the RINOS, Palin is a nobody. Yet, they won’t shut up about her.

Blake on November 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I’m not so sure about the Reagan Centennial date.

I think that could be seen, maybe by Sarah herself, as trying to “steal” the celebration of a great man for herself, and that would not be good.

I think she may know that too.

It seems from what she has said recently, that she may in fact wait a good bit longer than Feb. 2011.
It may be well into the spring or early summer before she makes the announcement.
She says she wants to see who else will be on the field, and she can afford to wait longer than any others can.

It’s not like she needs to get any name ID out there in the primary states. The book tour will take her to Iowa twice, and I expect that some more dates will be added, including South Carolina and New Hampshire. These stops can be very productive toward building for a run without having officially jumped in yet.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Palin’s whole appeal is that she is supposed to be a fighter. I would be pretty pumped to see a round two with SP and KC. Let the claws come out and the fur fly!

snoopicus on November 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

And that is aired LIVE with no editing nor commercial interruptions. :D

ProudPalinFan on November 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM

sharrukin on November 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for that. It was hilarious.

I’ve enjoyed reading Paglia over the years; even have a couple of her books. Don’t agree with a lot of her political views, but she’s intelligent and can be quite witty. Her insights on Couric and Palin are spot-on, IMO.

AZCoyote on November 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Thanks for that. It was hilarious.

AZCoyote on November 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I have always liked her despite everything. She is honest and from a leftist that’s refreshing.

BTW, it was Sonosam who first posted the link, to give credit where it is due.

sharrukin on November 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Who knows?
Her instincts are golden.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Well, the point here is that what you and I know, and what the general public at large perceives are not always the same thing.

If she does try and stiff arm all of the lib media, her enemies, both left and right, will start going on TV and saying she is afraid, she’s dodging the tough venues.
Some of them are saying that now, and I think I made a good case why it doesn’t matter at this point.

Once she is an official candidate, that line of attack will gain traction if she doesn’t go into the Lion’s Den, so to speak. I just think that Couric can be stiff armed with no adverse consequences, if she shows up in enough other places to kill the “dodging tough questions” line.

It will become a problem, if she let’s it.

I don’t think she will though, because from what I have observed, like you said, her instincts have been pretty darned good for somebody with a minimal support staff.

I learned from the NYT Mag article that she has a staff of 4 people, plus Todd. There is no Chief of Staff, or Press Secretary, just those people handling stuff on a kind of informal basis with her and Todd.

Pretty impressive, when you look at the result she has gotten politically.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM

not sure last night on Hannity she acknowledge that it is a time sensitive decision and needs to be made soon.

I can see your point on Feb 6th date but I still think the positives outweighs any negatives on that one. The Reaganists will be glad she is runnign as aReagan conservative and linking her campaign to his polices. the establishment will flip out and the liberals heads will explode…..

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Sarah is playing the Media like a fiddle. At present she is getting a couple of million dollars of free advertising a week from Fox, TLC, and the MSM, not to mention umpteen zillion blog pixels. I would not second guess her media strategy, she could teach the course at this point.

SurferDoc on November 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Zogby: Obama 41%, Palin 40%, +/- 2.2%
President’s job approval lowest ever
The findings of a new Zogby Poll indicate that Barack Obama and Sarah Palin are statistically tied in a hypothetical match up between the president (41 percent) and the former vice presidential candidate (40 percent). Just a single percentage point separates the two, and that difference is within the survey’s 2.2 percent (plus or minus) margin of sampling error

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

SurferDoc on November 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

yeah but only if her voice was not as high…../s

unseen on November 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Being asked “what you read” by someone who doesn’t even come up with their own questions (Couric was fed questions to ask Palin by Obama’s handlers – course that’s not scandalous in the slightest) is freakin’ hilarious.

The Mega Independent on November 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

And if he asked her a tough question, the whining would be endless.

Allahpundit on November 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Jeez, what a naive thing to say.

As if you didn’t KNOW that Palin’s interview with Couric ended up mostly on the cutting room floor, with just the ‘gotcha’ stuff aired.

I swear, the Palin hate has people blinded.

fossten on November 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I disagree with Palin about journalism. It seems to me that we are better off with reporters when we know reporter’s biases rather than pretending that reporters can be unbiased, a human impossibility. Anyway, I would rather watch Palin match wits with Couric than have a supporter interview her. Not only is it more entertaining, it makes the issues more clear.

thuja on November 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Brilliant move. Get to the local papers in communities around the country. They would jump at the chance for an interview. A whole new pool of journalists out there in the mainstream. You go girl!!!

shar61 on November 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Couric isn’t a journalist (despite her network foisting her off as one). She’s little more than a sour liberal daytime television host who’s been moved to prime time.

zoyclem on November 23, 2010 at 11:27 AM

And if she does that she convinces the skeptical independents and some center left Dems. It would be a huge gamble for her the first couple of times but it would be the right way to convince people she has the substance.
Anything less than that and I think she falls short in a matchup against Obama.

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

All true. I don’t think she has it in her though. I like her; I agree with almost all of her positions; and I don’t think she’s intellectually capable or qualified by experience. I really don’t.

And all of you Obama/Biden critics who point out that Obama is a disaster and was completely unqualified to hold this office, and Biden is Our National Village Idiot, you need to maintain some logical integrity and acknowledge that Palin is only a click or two better than this clown Obama.

Face it, she was a stretch for VP and she isn’t qualified to run the country.

Jaibones on November 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Face it, she was a stretch for VP and she isn’t qualified to run the country.

Jaibones on November 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM

If she can run AK, she can run the country.
And Biden was a stretch for VP and still is.

I’m sorry: what were the qualifications stated in the Constitution to be POTUS? Above age 35 and a native-born citizen?
Yup, Sarah’s qualified.

Jenfidel on November 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Face it, she was a stretch for VP and she isn’t qualified to run the country.

Jaibones on November 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I disagree.

If it were possible in any way to get her sworn in as Commander in Chief first thing tomorrow morning, I would take it in a second, without question.
This country would be instantly better off.

She believes in the right things, and makes all the right people mad.

She is honest and upfront, not a bullsh!tter.

The advantage she would have is that anywhere from %50-%80 of the country are supportive of her agenda items, pretty much the opposite of Obama.

She could just go to the people if she got any crap from the libs on Capitol Hill, and they lose. Opposite of Obama. The more he talked about ObamaCare, the less popular it became.

I think she could make a great President.

Not just adequate, or even good, but great.

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Let Sarah be Sarah.
She knows what she’s doing. It’s part message, part driving the tired old has-beens of nightly news crazy (and Couric is about as “has-been” as you can get.)

n0doz on November 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

That old canard about being qualified went out the window with the election of the community organizer. No one is less qualified that he is. He doesn’t even have a handle on constitutional law–which he “guest lectured”.

Haunches on November 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM

A President Sarah Palin will be gracious as much as President Reagan was, to his bashers. :)

dec5 on November 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

“I would rather watch Palin match wits with Couric than have a supporter interview her. Not only is it more entertaining, it makes the issues more clear.

thuja on November 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM”. ROFLMAO!

According to Camille Paglia, Katie Couric makes a box of rocks look like a 300 IQ genius. What wits? Even in the taped interview that The Dumb One sliced and diced, she could only seem to be matching wits by manipulative editing. When Couric, Gibson, Scarborough, Rather and all the other DNC media drones interview a Democrat president, do you think its entertaining and clarifies the issues? They ask them babygoo questions. Think about that.

SilentWatcher on November 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Some of you don’t realize that Palin has been talking to all kinds of media, even the equally stupid Andrea Mitchell. They’re all out there when she’s moving around, asking her questions, and she’s all there answering. She never refuses to answer them. She just refuses to sit down with them for a taped interview.

SilentWatcher on November 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Brian1972 on November 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM: Brilliant!

SilentWatcher on November 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Palin would/could never be the failure that Obama is. He’s gone from messiah to failure in 2 long years.

kingsjester on November 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Palin started out with most of the US public being skeptical of her. She now has a majority of the US public refusing to vote for her against Obama, and a majority that dislike her.

She is already a failure in the eyes of a majority of the US public.

Jimbo3 on November 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Palin is entitled to freeze that dishonest b*tch out. There are plenty of other journos she can strut her stuff to. No need to pander to those who edit in order to portray someone in their worst light.

Perhaps this would encourage journalists to at least attempt to be fair and balanced.

disa on November 25, 2010 at 8:36 AM