Barbara Bush Hitting Palin to Help Jeb?

posted at 7:26 pm on November 22, 2010 by Matt Lewis

… That’s what Jonathan Alter argued during our panel on MSNBC’s ‘Dylan Ratigan Show’ today.

Personally, I think Barbara Bush’s Palin-bashing (assuming saying she hopes Palin stays in Alaska qualifies as “bashing”) has more to do with her moderate political philosophy than it does with any strategy for helping elect her son.

Having said that, I am starting to hear rumors that Jeb is telling potential prominent supporters to “keep their powder dry,” meaning not to endorse or support any 2012 candidates until they check back with him.

There is no doubt that Jeb Bush is highly qualified, and if his name were “Jeb Smith,” he would be the 2012 front-runner today.

In any event, this is good, fun speculation.

You can watch the video here…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Will anyone in America vote for another Bush tenure in the current environment?

Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I thought she was on the Romney payroll.

Dead Hand Control on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

More drama queen news…

Chudi on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Serious question. Would the media and left (same thing I know) go after Palin or a Bush family member worse?

hawkdriver on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

HondaV65 on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’ll go on the record now. I won’t be voting for any Bush. Accept maybe for Jenna on DWTS.

Caper29 on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Just what we need…another bush. No thanks.

lukespapa on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’d consider voting for Jeb in the primary, but I’m with Bishop….does his name recognition really have any staying power?

Doubt it.

jbh45 on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Makes sense. Hadn’t thought of that. Didn’t understand why such a classy lady would take such a cheap shot.

JellyToast on November 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I wouldn’t vote for a Bush.

We’ve turned into an aristocracy.

skree on November 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Enough of these Bushes.

Kensington on November 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Of course she is trying to clear the decks for her little Jebbie.

I will not vote for another Bush under any circumstances. It’s an insult to even mention it.

Bush 41 gave us Clinton
Bush 43 gave us Obama
Bush 45? I guess the antichrist is all thats left.

Please God, no more Bushes, we’ve enough problems with Huckabee and Romney trying for it.

rightwingyahooo on November 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I agree.I respect the Bush’s(father and son) but they were not fiscally consservative although they are closer to it than our current elected person(sorry I can’t say president)

ohiobabe on November 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I’m open to Jeb. I’m not going to condemn someone because of their family (Ronald Reagan has Ronnie Jr).

But Dynasties are never good.

portlandon on November 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

No. We need to get away from political dynasties. Jeb Smith would be fine, though I don’t know his policies well enough. But Jeb Bush?

Or, how about Palin/Bush or Bush/Palin. That might just be the ticket because it would ensure all the lefties heads would explode.

rbj on November 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Will anyone in America vote for another Bush tenure in the current environment?
Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Nope. Two are enough.

If anything, Barbara Bush’s remarks about Palin helps Palin. It pulls back the curtain on what the RINOs think about Palin. And the RINOs are not going to win the next round.

conservative pilgrim on November 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM

More drama queen news…

Chudi on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Go away.

davek70 on November 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM

No more Bush family members.

I used to assume that maybe Barbara Bush meant it in some other way until seeing that clip. You can tell how nasty and low-class she was being from her facial expression.

sharrukin on November 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Nothing cements the “bi-factional ruling party” meme more than the Bushes and Clintons duking it out for royalty bragging rights.

Christ, Jeb v Hillary in 2012? Shoot me now.

I’d have to move or something.

rightwingyahooo on November 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I used to like Barbara Bush, until she said that. I thought it was an incredibly classless thing to say. She showed herself to be one of the governing-class elitists with that comment, and made it clear that she believes government is properly populated by our betters, not by us.

Shame on her. It was an ugly, ugly thing she said.

American Elephant on November 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Jeb…sorry..

How about NO!!!

BigWyo on November 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM

If Barr thinks another Bush will get elected any time soon, she’s more senile than we knew…

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Jeb iL Jong the greatest and smartest of the three great dear leaders. He has Saudi first cousins and is ready to reach out to the Muslim world.

BL@KBIRD on November 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Jeb Bush has no chance w/ his toxic name in the primary. Romney’s ego would not allow himself him drop out for Bush unless the establishment puts MAJOR pressure on him.

As for Barbara.. used to respect her, but that was a snotty, classless comment. Beck ripped her to shreds on his show today. RightScoop.com has video if anyone’s interested.

davek70 on November 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Barbara Bush was making a quip, there is a reason she got nicknamed “The Mouth” by the Media. Barbara Bush isn’t shy or a fainting daisy.

If Palin can win Mama Bush over, she has it made.

Dr Evil on November 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

“I wouldn’t vote for a Bush.
I am weary of this ‘royal family’ meme in politics. I’m sick of the Kennedys, Clintons, Bushes, Rockefellers, Reid and his stupid kid Rory, Bidens son, and 100 more I can’t recall right now.”

You said it, no more political dynasties! These people who fancy themselves aristocracy all need to stay home. Oh and the reason why such a classy lady like Barbara Bush would take such a cheap shot is, she isn’t classy. She is one of them, lowly scum like yourself and Sarah shouldn’t speak unless spoken too!

It seems that some in that family will go after Sarah while Obama and the left wing press drag the Bush name through the mud.

Africanus on November 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Will anyone in America vote for another Bush tenure in the current environment?

Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Nobody but a few fringe conservatives and a mishmash of brain-damaged dingdongs.

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

He’s a young guy and the country is not ready for another Bush. Maybe, he’s just testing the waters to get publicity for the future – maybe a 2016 or 2020 run?

Blake on November 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

The Bush’s need to go on into the sunset.

Jeb has zero chance – ZERO – of getting elected just because of the stigma of the name.

Two presidencies, two governorships, plus all the other stuff daddy Bush did. They had their time in the sun.

Move on.

catmman on November 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM

If Jeb runs I want to congratulate BHO on his second term. What Next Hillary then Jebs son then Chelsea? Get me the hell out of here

400lb Gorilla on November 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Sure, wait and see whose turn it is instead of supporting the best women for the job.

fourdeucer on November 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Don’t MAKE me quote Jesse Jackson.

My collie says:

What is it with these people and odd numbers? Bush ’41, Bush ’43, and now, Bush ’45.

CyberCipher on November 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Jeb won’t be running for pres, but he was FL’s best modern governor: even Carl Hiaasen respected him.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

No way.

Fortunata on November 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Will anyone in America vote for another Bush tenure in the current environment?

Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Oh I’m sure a 205 core would. Maybe enough to win some key primary battles. but he will be destoryed in the general.

I would rather have a GOP congress and Obama then a RIno and a GOP congress.

unseen on November 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I’d much rather have him back as governor.

katy the mean old lady on November 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Jeb Say No!

profitsbeard on November 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

So a old RINO is critical of a youn ger conservative woman who is a force. Jeb? I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR ANYMORE ESTABLISHMENT OPEN BORDER RINO’S even if it means Obama wins a 2nd term period. I’ve had enough of the “experts” telling me who to vote for and who is electable. If you folks recall the “experts” said the same thing about McCain and Dole.

PTN 39 on November 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

If Jeb runs I would hope a strong 3 rd party candidate runs. Not sure if It should be Palin or not. Would rather see her try in the party but a strong 3rd party candidte needs to run if Jeb runs and wins the nomination.

unseen on November 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM

More drama queen news…

Chudi on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Ya I agree, Barbara Bush is really becoming P.I.T.A, isn’t she ?

cableguy615 on November 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I guess this means the Dems aren’t expecting Barry to run for a second term and are starting to line up for the primaries… ;)

phreshone on November 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM

George Bush, Sr. knew where his bread was buttered. But the rest of his family positively HAGED Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

logis on November 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

edit: HATED Ronald Reagan…

logis on November 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Will anyone in America vote for another Bush tenure in the current environment?

Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

No, I don`t think they would and I know I will not!

bluemarlin on November 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Barbara speaks truth… Palin people get over it. Matt Lewis this was a dumb article. Like church rumors

conservador on November 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I too will never vote for another Bush. Having grown up in Houston, Bush 41 was our rep from 1966-1970 (I was just a young thing back then). Then the 8 years as v.p., another 4 as prez, then GW as governor and 8 years as president. 28 years of the Bush family is more than anyone should have to tolerate. That’s over half my fricking life!

TxAnn56 on November 22, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Well duh, who would think that that would help open borders Jeb.

We don’t need anymore progressives, of either party.

tarpon on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Jeb Bush? Well, it would be a historic election for other reasons. Bush 41 and 43 were the second father and son to both be president, but father and two sons?

But it’s not happening in 2012, and while Jeb is still fairly young, I don’t see him making a successful run before he grows too old.

Though the Bush name will not be toxic for nearly as long as some people think.

tom on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

conservador on November 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

But Barbara gave no reason for her statement.
Why should Sarah stay in AK?

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I’m with Jesse Jackson on this one “keep out the bushes”.

tim c on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

old hag. fat too. screw the bushes. RINOs all

sbvft contributor on November 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

More drama queen news…

Chudi on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Chudi phones it in with her bazillionth “Palin’s a drama queen comment” on HA.

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I am getting ready to go down and feed two cats, either of whom would be elected before Jeb Bush.

flyoverland on November 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Why should Sarah stay in AK?

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

To maintain her sanity.

darwin-t on November 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

More drama queen news…

Chudi on November 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Oh? You have news for us? Do tell!

alwaysfiredup on November 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

To maintain her sanity.

darwin-t on November 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Barbara’s or Sarah’s?

I’m not sure there’s much left to save in either case…

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Forget it Jeb. We’ve had two Bush family members sell out the conservative movement, one of whom set the table for 8 years of Clinton, the other of whom set the table for the disastrous president we currently have. We’re not going for it a 3rd time.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

thirteen28 on November 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Bush v. Obama = Obama wins. Seriously, this is a bad idea.

alwaysfiredup on November 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

An attempted monkey wrench,and hyperventilating by

MS

Not to particularly
Bright
Socialists

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Why should Sarah stay in AK?
Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

To maintain her sanity.
darwin-t on November 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Hehe. You see MSNBC screaming about this, and you’re worried about Sarah Palin’s sanity?

logis on November 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I sent Mrs. Bush an email last night telling her I use to admire her but not after her classless statement about Sarah. That she was an elitist who thought “how dare one of the little people dare think they should run”, and to please tell her husband that the Tea Partiers stood for limited government and fiscal conservatism and it was a shame he didn’t know what they stood for. He seemed to believe they were a bunch of aliens from outer space. Someone on here yesterday posted this email in case anyone else wants to voice their opinion to her – krichardson@cfncr.org

silvernana on November 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

logis on November 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I am completely unconcerned with MSNBC’s insanity. :)

alwaysfiredup on November 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM

That was a world-record soundbite,in less than one second,

Yup,this is all about Bush Dynasty come back!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Oh SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSh*T,The Mother of the
Bush Dynasty,

…………….wait for it………………….

might not be that CONSERVATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Well, Former First Lady Barbara Bush decided to break her silence and comment on political matters the other day. You might ask yourself, what major political situation has Mrs. Bush decided to weigh in on? What is it that compelled the Grand Dame of the Establishment Right to break decorum and comment on the current political landscape? Was it the massive debt being accumulated that will have an impact on generations to come? Was it the monstrosity of Obamacare that might destroy private insurance and cause untold devastation to the economy and our way of life? Was the crippling unemployment? Was it the shambles of a Republican Party that her son left when he left office in 2008? Perhaps it was the behavior of the current FLOTUS who has said that her husband’s candidacy was the FIRST TIME in her adult life that she was proud of her country? If you answered yes to any of these questions you would be wrong. The Queen Mother decided to weigh in on U.S. politics to BASH ….NO..NOT Barack Obama. NO…not the dictators in Iran and North Korea…..wait for it…..Sarah Palin. I know it comes as quite a shock considering how unfailingly conservative the Bush clan is. But it is true.

I always held Mrs. Bush in rather high regard. I always felt that she was a classy lady…until today. In a cheap shot meant to help her OTHER son get into the White House, Mrs. Bush has completely discredited herself and shown herself to be nothing more than a RINO hack. She couldn’t even summon up a “Well, she is quite a character but I am not sure she is ready for the White House just yet”. She couldn’t even work up a half compliment as a woman for the first woman on the republican ticket. Instead, she follows Andrew Sullivan, Keith Olbermann, Maureen Dowd and all the rest into the gutter of trash politics. All of this adds up to a big steaming pile of mess with BUSH written all over it. Thanks for providing fodder to the left, Babs. If you BUSHES keep it up you might just destroy this party after all. Isn’t there a nice plane you BUSHES could jump out of…with parachutes of course.

Dan Pet on November 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I’m thinking that MSNBC has morphed into a
psycho ward and their all playing as journalists!!!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM

This is wonderful news. Jeb is acknowledged to be the most conservative of the family and has enormous credibility with Americans of Hispanic descent.
Could throw all the other players into a tizzy.

Jeb vs Obama with a 8.5% unemployment rate and he gets those elusive Independents and some of the left of center Dems sick of what the far left wing is doing to the party.

Run Jeb Run!

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

So,what is thee motivation,yes..yes..on both sides..mmmm!!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:13 PM

From C4P:

SurveyUSA: Governor Palin Only Down 4 to Obama
By Ian Lazaran

SurveyUSA has her down 4 to Barack Obama in a survey of 1,000 registered voters.

SheetAnchor on November 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I would rather have a GOP congress and Obama then a RIno and a GOP congress.
unseen on November 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Brilliant/not…

Buy Danish on November 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Run Jeb Run!

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Yeah, run straight off the cliff with all the other lemmings.

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Jeb Bush for President?
============================

Wolf Blitzer interviws SnakeHeads wife,Mary Matalin
about Jeb for POTHUS!!

Jebs wife speaks Latino…………-WB.
===========================
July 17 2010

Jeb Bush for President?

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Jeb says it won’t change on running for POTUSA!
=================================================
April 10 2010

Jeb Bush Hannity Interview Talks Obama

************************************

Like Jeb says,towards his brother,the NASTINESS!!!!

I really believe,he won’t touch 2012!!!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Yeah, run straight off the cliff with all the other lemmings.

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM

He scares you does he?

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Jeb was an excellent governor of Florida and although never say never, I don’t think I could vote for him this time around.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Ronald Reagan’s single greatest mistake: George Bush.

rrpjr on November 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM

“I wouldn’t vote for a Bush.
I am weary of this ‘royal family’ meme in politics.

Africanus on November 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Africanus:

That is exactly the Narrational Deception/Perception meme
that the MSM want,NO BUSH!!

However,Team GOP voters,all ready know this,with the RINO
purging from the midterms,Team Right wants fresh new blood,
er,candidates that is,someone NEW!!!

canopfor on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Out of curiousity what is your biggest reservation irt Jeb?

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

i bet tingles got a kick out of bab’s comment

cmsinaz on November 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Out of curiousity what is your biggest reservation irt Jeb?

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

He’s pro-illegal immigration and anti-off-shore drilling, for starters.

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

There it is. I’m going with Jeb.

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Who do these guys think they are? Romney, Jeb, Huckaby, waiting on side lines offering nothing to the current dynamic of the tea party. What a clear notice of there elite status and faith that the conservative push will burn out and there lilly white moderate voices will gain favor again Arrrrgggggg!

swimcoachmike on November 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, run straight off the cliff with all the other lemmings.

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Hot dog! It’s like finding a whole voting machine in the trunk!

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Why should Sarah stay in AK?

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

To maintain her sanity.

darwin-t on November 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

???
Like Bar’s statement, this is a non sequitur with no real meaning.

Jenfidel on November 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM

J Bush 2012

then Hillary in 2016

finally Michelle O in 2020.

Joy.

Of course we will be a 3rd world dumphole by then, so it really won’t matter who is sitting in the WH.

Bishop on November 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

A Bush in the race is worth #2 in the hand?

SouthernGent on November 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I will not vote vote for Jeb Bush. I am a primary voter.

tecumsehmom on November 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

He scares you does he?

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM

About as much as a Halloween costume bought at the five-and-dime.

Dark-Star on November 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Probably his immigration stance. I get a bit queasy about the dynasty angle. He really is a good man and I am looking at this on an electability. The hatchet job the press and the current administration has done to W, will be attached to Jeb.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM

No More Bushes.

jmuchow on November 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM

One thing Palin haters have in common is that they are all progressives. Think about that, the more hate towards Palin the more progressive. She really brings out the progressives in BOTH parties. Some times its hard to tell who the progs are…..Thank you Sarah Palin: The Progressive Exposer.

indy8 on November 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

HondaV65 on November 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Not just No, Hell No!

Babs the pearls are gettin’ a little tight…

Fallon on November 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Jeb who?

ronsfi on November 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM

thanks for replying

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

A Bush in the race is worth #2 in the hand?

SouthernGent on November 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

LMAO, that is funny!

bluemarlin on November 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM

unseen on November 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM

How do you feel about a third party candidate running if Palin is nominated? Say reverse it and Jeb runs third party.

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Bradky on November 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Anytime, always a pleasure.

Cindy Munford on November 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM

The first time I got to vote I voted for Ronaldus Maximus in the primary over the “republican establishment’s boy” GHW Bush. I thought that was the biggest mistake Reagan made making this RINO his VP. After 8 years of Reagan everyone thought they were voting for another 4 more years of Reagan and voted for Bush. Instead we got the compassionate conservative BS, read my lips no new taxes garbage. Bush didn’t have the experience governing anything. He ran the CIA, BFD as Bite-me says!
At least GW Bush was the governor of Texas but, he spent like a liberal with his Medicare D, No Child Left Behind, etc.
I reside in Florida and as far as I’m concerned you can keep Jeb. He endorsed “orange Charlie” and he stunk on ice. Rubio was supposed to be his boy and he refused to endorse him until orange Charlie became an independent.
You can keep the Bushes and Barbara’s condescending mouth!
No Jeb, no way in hell. Let’s jump start this Reagan Revolution with Saracuda.

Jayrae on November 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I hope Jeb runs and I hope he comes in dead last.

FloatingRock on November 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Babs Bush is classless and consumed by ambition. Old Man Bush doesn’t hesitate to run down the tea party but is deferential to the Left (like his hapless son).

No more Bushes!