TSA makes little boy remove shirt during pat down UPDATE: TSA responds

posted at 12:00 pm on November 21, 2010 by The Right Scoop

via Wire Update:

A disturbing video surfaced on Friday night showing what appears to be a TSA agent strip searching a young boy, with his father standing nearby. The video, which was uploaded to Youtube by user lukemtait, was filmed while a boy was randomly selected to undergo a random security check.

The video’s description read, “Lets get the facts straight first. Before the video started the boy went through a metal detector and didn’t set it off but was selected for a pat down. The boy was shy so the TSA couldn’t complete the full pat on the young boy. The father tried several times to just hold the boys arms out for the TSA agent but i guess it didn’t end up being enough for the guy. I was about 30 ft away so i couldn’t hear their conversation if there was any. The enraged father pulled his son shirt off and gave it to the TSA agent to search, thats when this video begins.”

This is sure to enrage lots of parents and it should. I understand the need for security, but this is such overkill. It’s really starting to feel like an incompetent administration, who doesn’t want to have another bombing attempt on its watch, is going to extraordinary means to ensure it doesn’t look bad. I mean, yeah, it’s about the American public’s safety, I get that. But with this level of privacy invasion, it is also starting to feel political as well.

I’m sure there are a lot of these stories out there, but another one that caught my attention happened in August where a TSA agent forced a breast cancer survivor to remove her breast implant during a pat down. You can read more about that here.

UPDATE: The TSA responds to the above video (h/t Verum Serum):

A video is being widely circulated showing a shirtless boy receiving secondary screening from a Transportation Security Officer (TSO). A passenger filmed the screening with their cell phone and posted the video on the web. Many are coming to their own conclusions about what’s happening in the video which is now perched at the top of the Drudge report and being linked to in many other blogs and tweets. We looked into this to find out what happened.

On November 19, a family was traveling through a TSA checkpoint at the Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). Their son alarmed the walk through metal detector and needed to undergo secondary screening. The boy’s father removed his son’s shirt in an effort to expedite the screening. After our TSO completed the screening, he helped the boy put his shirt back on. That’s it. No complaints were filed and the father was standing by his son for the entire procedure.

It should be mentioned that you will not be asked to and you should not remove clothing (other than shoes, coats and jackets) at a TSA checkpoint. If you’re asked to remove your clothing, you should ask for a supervisor or manager.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

How many terror attacks have been done by children.

the_nile on November 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The end result of liberalism.

That little boy is no different than Al mahri Fazhdi.

artist on November 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Well, the rightwing has so intimidated the Obama Administration with fears that another attack will be blamed on them by the wingnuts that the TSA is over-reacting to threats.

Your rightwingers are to blame.

This “explanation” coming to a liberal/left wesbsite soon. Frankly, I’m surprised that Olbermann hasn’t used it yet.

SteveMG on November 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

GatewayPundit has another good one. Nappy’s blueshirts at “Don’t Touch My Junk” Airport arrested a man and paraded him through the airport in his underwear for refusing to let them complete their groping. No video yet.

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Next on the list of industry takeover….

Airlines.

The revolt will cause revenue to drop. The unions in the airline industry must be saved and the nationalization will begin.

If this isn’t stopped its tracks, the feds will no longer be under any obligation to uphold any 4th amendment right in the name of security. Traffic violation-pat down. Entering a mall-pat downs. Entering your kid’s school-pat downs, grocery shopping- pat downs. It’s all coming in the name of safety and security.

NEVER LET A GOOD CRISIS GO TO WASTE!

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

someone better show this video to the head of TSA:

Such was the case on Wednesday when TSA administrator John Pistole, testifying before the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, stated categorically that children under age 12 are exempted from pat-downs.

katiejane on November 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

That little boy looks a lot like Timothy McVeigh-GERALDO

artist on November 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The media will yawn because we have a democrat president. Imagine if George Bush were president now.

perroviejo on November 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Thugs. Bullies. I don’t believe that the TSA agents arent’ loving this.

ladyingray on November 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

It’s stupid.

That’s all.

Why are we still confiscating nail clippers?

It’s stupid.

Everyone knows it’s stupid.

But we keep doing it.

Why? Because nobody wants to be the one to stand up and say “This is stupid, lets stop doing it” for fear… of what exactly?

That some terrorist is going to use nail clippers to take over the plane? Exactly how likely is that to happen?

They can’t even make a decision on something as simple and stupid as not confiscating nail clippers. Is it any wonder that they are stupid about the bigger issues?

They tell us that it’s for our own good and safety requires it. But if they are stupid enough to seize nail clippers in the name of safety, then why should they suddenly be smart enough that I should trust them when they tell me that patting down little 3 year-olds is really necessary.

It’s like someone who can’t do addition, but then insisting you ought to trust their calculus.

TSA is stupid. There is no other word to describe their behavior. It’s stupidity plain and simple. And it does not make us more safe.

Those people who get in this thread and argue that TSA is making us safer- no they aren’t, and you are just buying into the stupidity.

I for one have had it. I’ll be taking the Greyhound for my Christmas travel this year.

Sackett on November 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

If a significant number of voters in 2008 bought the narrative of more, and competent, government, it’s starting to dissipate – fast.

churchill995 on November 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

So now we’re in the realm of government sanctioned child molesting. Where else but in an airport under an Obama administration would any parent tolerate this being done to their child. How does this make me safer? Will they soon be removing the shirts of little girls? Maybe pants too. Some day soon in a court of law a prosecutor is going to ask, “Billy show me where the government employee touched you.”

Tommy_G on November 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I will not fly until this madness stops.

Inanemergencydial on November 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

SteveMG on November 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Supposedly this is from increased “chatter” which apparently increases every year at the holidays. While I agree they might try to blame the Right, we don’t get the updates on the “chatter”, they do. I wonder how old that little boy is? Not that it really matters, just interested.

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

TSA jumped the shark moment.

FireBlogger on November 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

4th Amendment. Read it. Defend it. Make the government fear the people again. These punks in Washington don’t fear us enough yet.

shawk on November 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

That little boy is no different than Al mahri Fazhdi.

artist on November 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

The redistribution of guilt.

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

… TSA agent forced a breast cancer survivor to remove her breast implant …

Yeah, and she is a Flight Attendant who has gone through months of background checks to get hired. If she wanted to take down a plane she could just go into the cockpit and attack the pilots with the crash axe.

Play Darth Vader theme song – Dum dum dum dum DEE dum, dum Dee dum

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

If any other person had done this in another place, they’d be in jail right now. Disgusting.

ladyingray on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The TSA already has VIPR squads ready to move into train, bus and other transportation infrastructure. They have carried out random searches there as well.

They were also looking into a bracelet that you would wear that would act as a boarding pass, GPS tracker, and could taser you if you cause trouble.

sharrukin on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

What is stunning the living daylights out of me is that the TSA HAS to know, I mean they HAVE to know what the general reaction is going to be when people see blatant stupidity like this being done by their own agents, ON TOP OF what the general public thinks about them right about now, but instead, the TSA CONTINUES to do insane out of control strong-handed jackboot stuff like this like it is just another day on the job!

I mean, is anyone out there in the TSA even thinking for themselves that what is going on here right now with their strong-arm tactics amounts to sheer madness? I mean, this is now beyond unbelievable! THIS…..IS….MADNESS!!!!

pilamaye on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Hey, what’s a little humiliation while traveling? It could be worse; we could be having special ops night time raids kicking in the front door and hauling the men and boys off to jail for interrogation.

Skandia Recluse on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

How many terror attacks have been done by children.

the_nile on November 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Unfortunately

Iraq’s interior minister said Monday that insurgents used a handicapped child as one of the suicide bombers who launched attacks on election day

We dont profile Americans but we will profile children. Its the leftist logic that always sees the world in the exact opposite.

William Amos on November 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Arrest the father.

Taze the TSA agent.

Shy Guy on November 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

That should read we dont profile muslims but we will profile children.

William Amos on November 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Video cameras will soon be banned within 200 feet of the TSA security checkpoints…you know for security reasons.

d1carter on November 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

As Glenn Reynolds says, it’s not security, it’s security theater.

We all know that the little American kids travelling with their parents, and the little old blue-haired ladies, and the middle-aged cancer patients with prosthetics, etc., aren’t the terrorists. We also all know that these body scans and pat-downs aren’t going to stop a terrorist with an explosive device in his/her body cavity (or hidden in cargo, etc.). But we’re all supposed to pretend otherwise, lest we offend . . . somebody.

This PC nonsense has already gotten Americans killed (Ft. Hood, etc.), and it’s just a matter of time before it happens again.

AZCoyote on November 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

That little boy looks a lot like Timothy McVeigh-GERALDO

artist on November 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

You wouldn’t care if it had been a little brown boy – Geraldo

katiejane on November 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Obama’s plan is to get us outraged with the hopes that REPUBLICANS will demand TSA stop and then when/if God forbid there is some kind of attack he can blame it on the Republicans forcing him to relax security. Unfortunately for Obama, Democrats are equally outraged by this invasion of privacy and he is just making another unnecessary unholy mess out of it. Thanksgiving holiday travel is going to be bad.

ctmom on November 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

[katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM]

You know, I’ve been thinking about that side of things the last few days. It’s more a question of whether it’s union payoff/nationalization faction that is pushing this or the ecofreaks wanting to take down carbon emitters and I haven’t made up my mind.

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Obama should make his kids go through that, to show it’s necessary.

artist on November 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I will not fly until this madness stops.

Inanemergencydial on November 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

A couple of hundred thousand more people like you and this madness will soon end. Am waiting for a significant drop in air travel just to listen for the whining (airlines) and the blame throwing (Obama).

Tommy_G on November 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

This woman was actually separated from her child!

tsa agents took my son

My son was taken from me.

Taken.

My son was taken from me by the TSA agents at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport yesterday.

He was taken away from me and OUT OF MY SIGHT because his pacifier clip went off when I carried him through the metal detector.

According to the Transportation Security Administration website, “We will not ask you to do anything that will separate you from your child or children.”

Once again, Knapp gets to the heart of the matter (strong language).

Rae on November 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Every last passenger needs to say “I decline” to anything.

It is the “I am Spartacus” equivalent of our time.

Shy Guy on November 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Hillary said this morning she would avoid the TSA pat downs if she could…”who wouldn’t”.

d1carter on November 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

TSA = Full Employment Program for pedophiles.

JohnGalt23 on November 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Starting to feel political?

oh please, since day one, even under Bush.

AnninCA on November 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

ENOUGH!

Go ahead and roll over on your backs for useless measure and unreasonable searches. Be resigned to your fate.

You don’t deserve your liberty anyway.

SarahW on November 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

measure = measures.

Any mother who would permit that is beneath my contempt.

SarahW on November 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

[Sackett on November 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM]

Now that you mention nail-clippers, Aaron Worthing at Patterico’s site had a post about nail clipper confiscation from some troops coming back from Afganhistan a couple of days ago. It would be hilarious if it weren’t so moronic.

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

How about this one. Retired Teacher & Cancer Survivor Left Covered in Urine After TSA Patdown

free on November 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

It’s the downfall of the west in slow motion, refusing to take the steps necessary to confront the dangerous savages all around us.

This is an example that the TSA is “fair”, that even children will be strip searched while the sweaty, fidgety dude holding a one-way cash ticket and wearing a keffiyah is ignored. Because it’s “fair”.

Without so much as a jot of false bravado here, if I were the dad and that were one of my kids, I wouldn’t have made my flight because I would have been arrested for protecting my boy.

Bishop on November 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

It’s probably both. The only ones who will be able to fly if this keeps up will be the wealthy and the well connected. The eco-loons and the unions will benefit.
It’s a win win for the progressive agenda. And the greatest part is the American people will be stripped of their ability to freely move about.

Vile thugs!

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I noticed that in all of these “don’t touch my junk” type videos all the ASSAULTED folks are white Americans. I guess no muslims ever require a further look at. This is bulls@#$. TSA, paupers with power.

VegasRick on November 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’ll take the risk of a panties bomber over this crap.

rbj on November 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

This is what happens when people who can’t make it at McDonalds get hired by the federal government to perform security checks. Losers whose lives are so pathetically beta-ish they jump at any chance to wield ultimate authority. And I guarantee you they are PRAYING that someone will resist them!

On my trip to Hawaii, a disabled gentleman was allowed to disembark first. The ground crew was supposed to be getting his wheelchair from the hold. The woman brought up stroller after stroller all the while this man was standing there. He was in obvious pain, sweating and very unsteady on his feet. Eventually he just sat down against the wall of the passenger jetway just outside the cabin door. All the while the rest of the passengers are trying to get around him. Then he had the audacity to complain about the situation and the girl got indignant. Rather than just get his chair as fast as possible, she decided stop the entire process to accuse him of creating a scene. Then she pulled out the absolute moral authority card and threatened him with calling security.

csdeven on November 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Let this be a lesson that employees will do what they are told to do if their family’s survival depends upon the income.

See how easy it is to whip together a gestapo?

Wonder now why unemployment is not shrinking?

ericdijon on November 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I fly, because I have to for business.
I refuse to fly for any other reasons, until this overreaching madness is changed to something more reasonable.

churchill995 on November 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Another one of a TSA person messing up a guys urostomy, leaking urine all over and humiliating the guy.

Having lived with a colostomy, my heart goes out to the guy. It was only a matter of time though…

catmman on November 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Skandia Recluse on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

They want us to get used to this, before they escalate to special ops night time raids kicking in the front door and hauling the men and boys off to jail for interrogation.

Slowburn on November 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This crap is going to continue until everyone REFUSES to fly.
Nothing like MONEY to get the attention of the airlines and the government.

GarandFan on November 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

From what I recall, foreign terrorists fly commercial. Homegrown terrorists fly private or charter. (IRS building in Texas comes to mind).
New FAA rules: During pre-flight, do the Michael Jackson. Touch your own junk.
Fly the friendly skies.

Electrongod on November 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Didn’t the enhanced pat-downs begin after the Nov. 2 election?

Could this be payback from the Obama White House to the American people for electing Republicans?

Just asking.

Ordinary American on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I planned on flying my family and myself to Miami this Thanksgiving but changed my mind due to this bulls^%$, I fear that I would snap the a$$holes neck if one of my children were subjected to that.

VegasRick on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Are you sure Opt-Out is not a government hoax to get you to believe that you have a choice without telling you that the TSA searches and seizures of patently ILLEGAL and against the Constitutional prohibition of searches and seizures without probable cause.

We need to have the Supreme Court of the United States rule on this issue. Opt-Out is a government slogan, which leaves you thinking you have a choice; when in fact the TSA is acting as a wholesale violator and criminal enterprise in violation of the law.

TSA should be immediately and completely abolished. Searches should be done ONLY as needed with PROBABLE CAUSE.

Obama says the searches are necessary; but we already know how he feels about the law. Obama’s issues are mucked with lies, too. The “birther” issues have been commandeered by Obama’s tripe and ilk: The issue is not where Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. was born, BUT THAT HIS FATHER WAS NOT EVER AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND THEREFORE OBAMA, JR. IS NOT, AND CANNOT BE, A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN NOR PRESIDENT.

Keep your eye on the ball. The lies by Obama and Obama’s administration are corrupting, illegal and sinful.

AdrianS on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

The bus is a-comin’ and Janet thinks she is going to get on it.

Buy popcorn and ammo, Folks. It is Showtime.

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

This isn’t about an administration fearing another attack, this is about an administration that wants its citizens to OBEY and if you question their wisdom (e.g. you don’t want the electronic strip search), you’ll be taught a lesson.

“Just do as you’re told and everything will be alright.” That’s the purpose.

Obey.

glockomatic on November 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Would You Wear a Taser Bracelet to Get on a Commercial Flight?

Now that full-body scanning and posing naked for TSA agents will be part of the airport experience, the quest for the next piece of airport security is on. One device under consideration is placing a taser around your wrist. It works like OnStar to take threatening passengers out. You get out of line, you are remotely tased on the airplane.

sharrukin on November 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

[csdeven on November 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM]

I’m not inclined to blame the front ranks. This is a top down policy. You can see it from the way management and top level bureaucrats are flaunting their threats to arrest and prosecute those having valid complaints. They are also the ones who have set up the personnel and hiring practices.

The ones who ought to be arrested and prosecuted are the Homeland Security top brass.

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Just asking.

Ordinary American on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Count on it. And anyone that says this started under boooosh is a liar. Petulant children are in charge right now.

VegasRick on November 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

SteveMG on November 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

If you were in charge of the TSA how many airplanes would get blown up in the air over the US in the next 5 years?

I want a number from you.

Really Right on November 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

They should make this little boy the Official Poster Child for National Opt-Out Day this week!

I hope every single jackboot TSA agent at every major airport in the country is swamped beyond their control that day!

pilamaye on November 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I noticed the kid was white

just when will one of these intrusive searches be caught on tape concerning Mecca worshipers?

Total horse crap

Sonosam on November 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Bishop on November 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Welcome back, since we didn’t receive a ransom note I have to assume you were having fun.

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I blame Bush. No really. This is the end result of our leadership’s failure to NAME THE ENEMY.

hillbillyjim on November 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Resistance is futile.

Limerick on November 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Didn’t the enhanced pat-downs begin after the Nov. 2 election?

Just asking.

Ordinary American on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

It’s not payback, but the date of inception after the election is no coincidence. Had this intrusion taken place before the election can you imagine any lib getting elected or reelected for that matter. The powers that be new beforehand what the response would be, they just don’t really care about us.

Tommy_G on November 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I mean, yeah, it’s about the American public’s safety

Actually, it’s not about public safety. At best it’s about creating the illusion of safety. Even the naked scanner and groping combined can’t detect many bombs so the government is just putting on a show—or it’s a foot in the door for whatever comes next.

FloatingRock on November 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

NEVER LET A GOOD CRISIS GO TO WASTE!

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

You know, Katy I was thinking the same thing yesterday. There can’t be any other explanation for this insanity. They are going to take over air transportation, force us into rail systems that we dont want and make us drive matchbox cars.

I’m not going to fly again until this garbage is stopped.

Key West Reader on November 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

So really. You see a bomb squad dressed in cumbersome protective gear WHEN THEY KNOW THAT THEY ARE HANDLING THE BOMB, and no one else is around for miles, but when it comes to LOOKING FOR THE BOMB ON CHILDREN they have their hands and face blindly groping for ground zero while crowds mill around waiting for it to kill them all.

If you can’t see this as one giant step towards abandoning your rights and you really think that you are going to do your part so we can all fly safely, then you are a DOUCHE BAG!

ericdijon on November 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Nothing like MONEY to get the attention of the airlines and the government.

GarandFan on November 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

That’s the point. AS I said above, it could head towards a government takeover situation. The airlines won’t fight this. They’re probably already in talks prompted by the Feds.

The progressives are on plan D while the public is still figuring out plan A.

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I’m also pretty sick of hearing how all this is needed because of the underwear bomber, considering….

First: That Nigerian boarded a flight into the US without a passport. He did so because someone from our Government overrode the protocol requiring that he have one, like everyone else. But for that act, which someone in your government took, he couldn’t have gotten on the plane.

Second: He was on a watch list. He had been reported as a possible threat and was coming from a high-risk nation. Had he presented his passport he likely would have been denied boarding…

Like Denninger said in another piece:

In short, instead of taking responsibility for your screw-ups within the government, you now want Americans to consent to ever-more-intrusive “Security Theater” exercises that do not address the actual shortcomings and actual security concerns, which had nothing to do with screening and everything to do with rank government incompetence, just as was the case on 9/11.

Rae on November 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I think that the American public is being set up. I think it is being pushed to react. Who thinks that they can control 300 million of us?

CCRWM on November 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I noticed the kid was white

Total horse crap

Sonosam on November 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Ain’t gonna happin’. And you are 1000% correct. TOTAL horse crap.

VegasRick on November 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Dusty on November 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Same thing happened to my son’s friend when he came back. He had a rifle and a sidearm but he was relieved of his nail clippers. My husband has never forgiven them for taking the P38(http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations_p38.php) he had been carrying since Vietnam. The guy said he would send it to my husband, took his address and everything. Never did. My husband even offered to give him money for stamps and envelope.

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Sorry the link didn’t work. P38 for those who don’t know what it is. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations_p38.php

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I was kidnapped by my hobbies. Extended hunting and fishing trip with family and friends, traveled all over USA and Canada in a few RV’s, massacring critters and eating well.

Bishop on November 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

So those in charge of finding terrorist…have become the terrorists.

We live in an upside down world

katy on November 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Oh and this does nothing to address the cargo problem. I believe it’s harder to carry a bomb on a person then to mail it… There are many more packages than passengers.

CCRWM on November 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

This is ridiculous. Americans don’t use their children to carry bombs – that’s a Muslim thing.

disa on November 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

One million.

Ask a serious question and I can give a serious answer.

SteveMG on November 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Large commercial jets can be taken down from locations other then from within. Midair collision from a small craft comes to mind. And we know from 9/11 that they are willing and able to execute.

Electrongod on November 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

My P-38 that I carried on my keychain seemed to want to specialize in cutting my thumb off so I put it in a box with my other souvenirs.

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Besides being a jobs program for the barely-employable, the TSA is a feel-good placebo so that when the next attack comes (and it will come) the TSA can say “gee whiz, as you see we are doing all we can and the American public will not tolerate anything more intrusive.”

The panty-bomber was not stopped because of pure stupidity. How long do we need to learn to give those that buy tickets with cash extra attention? Those that buy one-way tickets? Those with no boarding documentation? Passengers originating in known terrorist countries? The panty bomber would not have been caught by this new process. The next one will not be caught.

This is also an excellent insight to the typical workings of government. The EPA, DEA, BATF, FCC, etc, are just as loony, just not exposed to as many people. You like the TSA? Wait for the same barely-employables that will be running Obamacare.

Wait for the final insult, unionization. You know it’s coming, Bammie’s controllers want all those new fat union dues.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Bishop on November 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

A commenter thought that was the case. I’m glad your back and I am glad you had a great time.

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Think about how parents always teach their children about “stranger danger” and “bad touching”. And then they get taken to a Disney vacation and get groped by a stranger in a uniform wearing gloves? Will that make children fear actual law enforcement officers?

Think about this fact: Most TSA agents have criminal backgrounds and they make about $8 an hour… like a McDonald’s fry-cook given a license to molest your child, your grandmother, your wife, your disabled vets.

No. Effing. Way. This has to be stopped.

Key West Reader on November 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

For some reason I think his was kept in his wallet. It was a victim of the early days of TSA but he is still has nothing nice to say about them.

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I just split my pelvis in a m/c accident and have the complimentary metal

can’t wait to work on my routine for my next flight

of course I could wear an “Allah rocks” shirt and I’ll be pushed right through

the possibilities are endless

Sonosam on November 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Most stuff seized is sold in batches and eventually ends up on ebay. Just another source of government revenue!

If I have anything that they insist I give up, I break it first. It really seems to annoy them.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

We forget that government (in general) is not a business and that employees are given almost no room to exercise individual intellect and judgment. It’s the nature of government to (attempt) perfection thru process (unless and until we radically decentralize and use citizens’ “voting with their feet” to create competition between communities and their governments).
TSA is a logical step along a path to the ultimate nanny-state. The alternative isn’t a smarter security agency but responsibility and accountability, both as citizens and as nation-states. At some point (where Maginot lines are rediscovered to be just theater) we have to decide to go to war to eliminate not just the threat, but the costs and anxieties that these individuals and group are fomenting.
If we’re not willing to go to war (or defend ourselves in our homes, schools and work) and choose to wait for the police – and/or attempt to buy our safety with bribes for today’s Barbary pirates then we’ve willing become slaves to our fears, TSA (cavity) searches (eventually), and (enslaved by our fears) subjects, not free citizens.
Alternatively, those that would do us this type of harm should know that there is no refuge for they, their friends and their families. Do us this harm (even just raising our anxieties and costs of doing business) and they’ll be pursued to the end of the earth and killed like the mad dogs we believe them to be.
For those who’ve forgotten remember that TSA was a gift of John McCain (who was begged by the airlines to do something to restore travelers’ confidence) – all who should have known better.
Rather than TSA we should have allowed passengers and crew to concealed-carry their own declared arms, written an anti-trust exemption for industry (all industry, not just travel, including a tax credit incentive to encourage innovation) to cooperate on sharing their customer information (world-wide) necessary to assure the safety of their customers and subject those who are not able to be easily categorized as a trustable-citizen to extra scrutiny – by private firms with the business motivation to exercise both intellect in judgment in insuring passenger and industry safety and security. And included not only a national-security exemption to Sarbanes-Oxley but an NTSB safe-harbor where transparency and cooperation with government(s) shields the companies from liability from these acts of war.
And then we’d bring the power (and discipline) of the market to these types of issues – people could choose an airline that did or didn’t do cavity searches, based on their own perception of the issues, risks and costs.

aritai on November 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Cindy Munford on November 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Who was that, just for my own personal knowledge?

Thanks, I had a great time and met scads of cool people throughout the western states, including farmers and ranchers who let us hunt on their land for free. Amazing how a few shared beers while leaning against a cattle fence and shooting the breeze can make instant friends of total strangers.

Bishop on November 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

pilamaye on November 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The majority of them probably don’t care, since Obama is going to let them unionize. Yes, in case you’re wondering, the bill authorizing the TSA specifically prohibited that.

But when did Obama ever follow a law that got in the union’s way (see priority of bondholders vs. union pension funds in a bankruptcy by a car manufacturer.)

Wethal on November 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I don’t have any particular problem with myself being groped before a plane ride. Mostly because I’m first a nurse, then a dancer. So I’m used to touching people in their “Junk” and having people grope me….

HOWEVER, I don’t think this works. All we’ve seen is one story after another of people being groped, but absolutely no stories of a bombing being thwarted because some subliterate TSA agent touched some dude’s junk. Like many people, I’ve been pointing to the Israeli version of security screening (also I’ve been through it – Oy). I very much doubt the American version would have to be quite so rigorous, but if anyone in the TSA had half a brain, they’d try to incorporate the Israeli version into their own. But that would involve thinking outside the box….

So I honestly think we’re stuck with junk touching and people violating children. Of course, it is certainly making me think twice about flying….

mjk on November 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The TSA is clearly a ‘man-caused disaster’.. and it’s leaders should be hunted down and brought to justice.

DrDeano on November 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Gestapo.

ErinF on November 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

So much for change, they are still molesting children by forcing them to be touched in ways that they have been taught is done only by child molestors.

In the past few years it became increasingly difficult to teach my government classes when what they were doing was not what the text book said. Guess the elementary teachers are going to have to make some exceptions on the good touch done by doctors and proper parents, and the bad touch done by child molestors, but which is okay if done by TSA who can do anything to them they want to them.

I found a picture of a German policeman and a young boy taken back when the National Socialist party, otherwise known as Nazi, was in power. The boy has been selected by the policeman for a check to see if he is Jewish. In the picture the distraught boy is being forced to stand on the sidewalk while the policeman is undoing his pants to check his genitals.

How much different is this from what our children, and adults are being forced to submit to today?

True to form, I have seen many times over that past decades where the democratic party accuses the other side of doing what they are doing, in hopes getting people use to it or speading the blame around when they are caught.

One last comment. Has anyone seen them changing their gloves after they have fondled someones genitals, let alone running their hands over someones bare skin. The cloeset I have seen is one in the kids video of pulling hers a bit tighter, curiously like the ocmic portrayal of a doctor about to do the proctal exam.

What would happen to a doctor who did not wash is hands or change his gloves? Obviously the gloves are to protect them and the cattle they are fondling just have to take their chances that no one in front of them had a transmital disease or infestation.

Franklyn on November 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Wait it gets better. You have to read this. It is beyond absurd.

Jayrae on November 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Didn’t the enhanced pat-downs begin after the Nov. 2 election?

Just asking.

Ordinary American on November 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

My thoughts exactly, I believe they are that vindictive.

tinkerthinker on November 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

The TSA has become a terror attack on America.

It must be stopped. It must be defeated.

landlines on November 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Anything the Government touches turns to sh!t. It’s a law of nature. Luckily there are safeguards that have kept them from destroying the military but, as we know, that doesn’t stop them from trying.

TheBigOldDog on November 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM