TSA makes little boy remove shirt during pat down UPDATE: TSA responds

posted at 12:00 pm on November 21, 2010 by The Right Scoop

via Wire Update:

A disturbing video surfaced on Friday night showing what appears to be a TSA agent strip searching a young boy, with his father standing nearby. The video, which was uploaded to Youtube by user lukemtait, was filmed while a boy was randomly selected to undergo a random security check.

The video’s description read, “Lets get the facts straight first. Before the video started the boy went through a metal detector and didn’t set it off but was selected for a pat down. The boy was shy so the TSA couldn’t complete the full pat on the young boy. The father tried several times to just hold the boys arms out for the TSA agent but i guess it didn’t end up being enough for the guy. I was about 30 ft away so i couldn’t hear their conversation if there was any. The enraged father pulled his son shirt off and gave it to the TSA agent to search, thats when this video begins.”

This is sure to enrage lots of parents and it should. I understand the need for security, but this is such overkill. It’s really starting to feel like an incompetent administration, who doesn’t want to have another bombing attempt on its watch, is going to extraordinary means to ensure it doesn’t look bad. I mean, yeah, it’s about the American public’s safety, I get that. But with this level of privacy invasion, it is also starting to feel political as well.

I’m sure there are a lot of these stories out there, but another one that caught my attention happened in August where a TSA agent forced a breast cancer survivor to remove her breast implant during a pat down. You can read more about that here.

UPDATE: The TSA responds to the above video (h/t Verum Serum):

A video is being widely circulated showing a shirtless boy receiving secondary screening from a Transportation Security Officer (TSO). A passenger filmed the screening with their cell phone and posted the video on the web. Many are coming to their own conclusions about what’s happening in the video which is now perched at the top of the Drudge report and being linked to in many other blogs and tweets. We looked into this to find out what happened.

On November 19, a family was traveling through a TSA checkpoint at the Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). Their son alarmed the walk through metal detector and needed to undergo secondary screening. The boy’s father removed his son’s shirt in an effort to expedite the screening. After our TSO completed the screening, he helped the boy put his shirt back on. That’s it. No complaints were filed and the father was standing by his son for the entire procedure.

It should be mentioned that you will not be asked to and you should not remove clothing (other than shoes, coats and jackets) at a TSA checkpoint. If you’re asked to remove your clothing, you should ask for a supervisor or manager.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Great insight here from a commenter at NRO.

Buy Danish on November 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Allah, when are you going to get it that this has nothing to do with “Americanpublic safety”? It’s about power, crashing the airline industry, slippery slope to get us used to being treated like animals and having our privacy violated. But, “safety” is the last thing on their minds.

Hey, talking about having our privacy violated, I thought libs were all about finding “the right to privacy” in the Constitution? they can kill babies by it, but not keep our “junk” safe?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM

You probably think Islam is a religion of peace, doncha?
ladyingray on November 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Since you asked, I think Islam is a satanic parody of Christianity, and its effect on culture and society is to bring fear, terror and slavery. I also happen to think that Islam and the West are incompatible.

Here is the thing, though: it is our government, not Islam, that is forcing us to accept like so much unthinking animals the violations of our God-given and constitutionally-protected rights. I reject this Hobson’s Choice that our government is presenting us with under the guise of “keeping us safe.” TSA is the same agency that cannot be bothered to deter the vicious kidnappers and murderers that are overrunning our borders, but sure, it is going to “keep us safe” through naked images and grope sessions.

I do not deny the very real threat of terrorism and Islamic extremism. But I am not so blind that I cannot see that our government is not letting this “crisis go to waste.” Our rights and liberties continue to be eroded as the centralized state continues to grow in power. Terrorism is proving to be a boon for totalitarian statists in our government.

But let me guess, you are probably one of those “my government, right or wrong,” statists, aren’t you? So what I have written is tantamount to blasphemy.

Threshing Flora on November 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I know there are many fine canadiens but their government can suck a grenade

Sonosam on November 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Not that you’d likely know (or care), but Canadians get turned away from the US for the same reasons all the time. Once when I was passing through, I very nearly got turned back because I didn’t own a house.

ProfessorMiao on November 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM

After the airlines industry is crushed by these government regulations will they be bailed out and then be owned by people? Is that the real purpose? Nationalize the airlines.

odannyboy on November 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM

If you don’t know about the Stanford Prison Experiment it’s worth a Google. I think some of it applies here.

I agree that we’re being desensitized to the level of government intrusion. Training wheels for death camps?

deewhybee on November 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM

…I get T.F.’s point (although I disagree about the W part – refresh my memory, but I don’t recall this happening under his watch).

We are all enemy combatants now. Unless your name is Ghalaini or Mohammed, in which case, Don’t touch my junk or I’ll sick the ACLU and Eric Holder on you.
Buy Danish on November 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Hi Buy Danish, you are correct, these measures were not rolled out while GWB was in office, but the first of the naked scanners were purchased by Homeland Security back in 2005. And please know that I do not for a minute believe that Mr. Bush’s intentions were ever to lead to these indignities, but I do think that previous administration should be held somewhat accountable as the TSA was built and given most of its power under GWB. That is not to overlook the current administration, of course.

Thanks for understanding. I am just so frustrated over what I see as the federal government taking advantage of these times of terror to alternatively violate or urge the suppression of our individual rights.

Threshing Flora on November 21, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Randomly selected when we all know full well what terrorists are likely to look like. Just put a group picture of the Muslim mass murders of 9/11 up at each TSA check point.

Who would want to go to a dentist who randomly selected which teeth to pull or drill into? Who would want to go to a doctor who just randomly selected what drug to give? Who would want to take their car to a mechanic who just randomly selected which parts to replace?

Those in charge of the TSA, all the way up to Obama, are either total morons or they are psychopaths.

Luka on November 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Luka on November 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM

No need for the “either/or”.

Shy Guy on November 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM

odannyboy on November 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM

First Obamacare, next ObamaAir.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Luka on November 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Love your analogies!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 22, 2010 at 12:20 AM

First Obamacare, next ObamaAir.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Heh. I’ll add, “First ObamaCars, then ObamaCare, then ObamaAir.” ;)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Wherever OBL is right now – Pakistan, Iran or Dearborne – I’ll bet he has got an ear to ear manure eating grin on his face. He wants so much to humiliate American Infidels and how he has got Herr Obama’s Gestapo TSA doing it for him.

Luka on November 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Great insight here from a commenter at NRO.

Buy Danish on November 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Saw this one too. Here’s a part of a comment there I’d like to highlight:

corona79

11/21/10 19:09

How many people will die this holiday season because, due to these wildly excessive measures, they drove rather than flew?

THIS.
Air travel is actually VERY VERY safe compared to other types of transportation.
I read the urine bag guy’s story & the breast cancer flight attendant’s story & all of this is completely uncalled for & outrageous.
The states need to declare this is a violation of its citizens’ 4th Am. rights & disallow it.
What is going to happen now: Federal Govt going to declare marshal law as a way to permanently suspend our Const rights?
You think it can’t happen?
Look at all the BS that has already happened since BO & the Dems got power.
Here’s Ben again for all of you morons who think this is a small price to pay for ‘safe’ air travel:

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

All of you who condone the loss of small liberties are part of the people who are driving this country on the fast track to hell.
And yes, the Patriot Act also violates our Const rights.
I can see it now: the Feds declare marshal law bcs we’re at war with terrorists & this will allow them to do anything they want to keep us ‘safe’.

Badger40 on November 22, 2010 at 7:39 AM

odannyboy on November 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM
First Obamacare, next ObamaAir.

slickwillie2001 on November 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I’m reading the Roots of Obama’s Rage by Dinesh D’Souza.
It explains absolutely EVERYTHING about why BO is doing what he’s doing.
anti-colonialism: BO may not be succinctly aware of this intention, but he is certainly towing that line.
The man wants to destroy & decimate America as a ‘shining city upon a hill’.

Badger40 on November 22, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Will I ever see a video of a Muslim woman in a burka being given the TSA grope and fondle? Are they being given special treatment?
Why are all the grope and fondle TSA videos of white people?

albill on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

UPDATE: The TSA responds to the above video

Told you the grope patrol is getting ready for a comeback after Thanksgiving. No quarter.

ElectricPhase on November 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM

What I don’t understand is why are people just silently watching. Someone needs to start booing and shame these morons.

moonsbreath on November 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Look at the photos of the known 9/11 hijackers and the shoe bomber and BVD bombers. What is it you don’t see? You don’t see a 3 year old girl holding an ominous stuffed teddy bear. You don’t see a boy of about 9 years old that needs to be stripped searched. You don’t see nuns, female flight attendents or 80 year old grandmothers. Yet, to the TSA and Janet Incompetano, these people are somehow a threat? To me this is like looking at photos of known Somali pirates and going to Norway to round up Vikings.

Wills on November 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM

In the Ft Lauderdale airport I watched TSA effectively strip search a man who had to be in his 80′s. He went through the metal detector with his walker, which they took from him. He told them he would fall without because of his hip and knee replacement. They insisted on a pat down during which two of them held him up while the other did the deed and found something “suspicious”. At this point the TSA agent, pulled the man’s pants down around his hips to reveal the danger…a truss and an adult diaper. I was furious that a man who could have served his country in a war, worked his entire life and did nothing wrong was subject to humiliation at the hands of want to be prison guards…all because no one has the balls to go after the people who are the real problem. It is not profiling if, since the ’72 Olympics its been Muslim of one flavor or other who have perpetrated terror all over the globe.

I haven’t flown since.

PatriotPete on November 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM

What. The. F@#$K????

I generally mock hyperbole and ridicule those who leap to violate Godwin’s law …

… but at some point, descriptions using words like “fascism” start to be factually relevant and accurate.

We’re getting close to that point.

And (bleep) the TSA agents. I don’t have any sympathy. I’m sure some of them are fine citizens, but far too many are like these cretins. Disgusting, power-abusing, mouth-breathing dropouts getting a kick out of wielding the only power they have in their lives.

Just look at the body language in the clip. This is jack-booted bullying. It might not be time for Nazi references yet, but I guarantee any Jews that remember the Warsaw ghettos of 1938 would find the body language, the demeanor, the attitude, the smirk, the unthinking obedience … all of it very, very eerily familiar.

Professor Blather on November 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Didn’t the underwear bomber incident happen last December? Why did it take almost a year for the govt to come up with the enhanced pat downs? This is just more govt control, they control our minds with the msm and now our bodies with Obamacare and travel around the country with TSA. Sounding more and more like the old Soviet Union every day.

Kissmygrits on November 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM

We’re once again trying to stop the LAST attack. All of this security theatre is not only useless, it is counter productive. Al Qaeda has already started using BODY BOMBS. There have been two bombings in the Middle East with bombs shoved up the bomber’s rectum, and the Israelis have intercepted a female bomber who had explosives inserted into breast implants. TSA and “homeland security” need to be engaged on FORWARD DEFENSE — stop them before they ever get to the airport and stop treating us like cattle or chattel.

EasyEight on November 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM

By the way, I’m flying to Vegas next week.

With a camera and my bar card.

I may be famous. Or incarcerated.

At the very least I plan to amuse myself endlessly at the expense of these idiots.

Professor Blather on November 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Did anyone notice that the original “background” provided by the videographer and the TSA don’t jibe?! The original comment posted says,

…the boy went through a metal detector and didn’t set it off but was selected for a pat down…

But the TSA said,

…Their son alarmed the walk through metal detector and needed to undergo secondary screening….

Well, which is true? I see from the video that the father was there, and that he took the boy’s shirt off. Why did the TSA repeat the obvious? Sounds like CYA to me.

I personally believe the guy who shot the video.

DINORight on November 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM

It figures that the TSA might up the insanity for Thanksgiving but I’m sure things will be relaxed during ramadan during the hadj

we pretty much have a death sentence on our heads if we are in any monkey Muslim country yet we should bend over backwards for these less than Neanderthals here

if they are so gifted why can’t you find one example of autonomous industry that isn’t built upon oil

I see no problem with kicking them all out

as far as I’m concerned they are an invading army that doesn’t have the fortitude or honesty to carry guns and declare war

they are subversive scum, not all, but enough that don’t have any respect for our superior and light years ahead of their own draconian system
which fits real well with tyrannically minded politicians

if they are so effing smart, why are they do damn primitive?

Sonosam on November 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM

So damn primitive

Sonosam on November 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I don’t see this question asked often enough:

WHO, WHO is responsible for thinking up, and putting in place a policy of intimidation of persons who opt out of the scans?

Someone thought this was just a BRILLIANT idea.

WHO? I WANT A NAME.

Janet Napolitano and David Axelrod.

EasyEight on November 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM

They are both.

EasyEight on November 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Isnt the Government, Liberals and some states into building a new high speed rail system? Maybe this is part of the plan. Kill the Airline industry, save the environment, use rails. Meanwhile the Liberals use their private jets, SUV’s and live in 20k square foot homes.

WoosterOh on November 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Why are all the grope and fondle TSA videos of white people?

albill on November 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Is this not the ultimate insult? As other people here have said, everyone can identify what group of people are responsible for everyone having to go through these indignities. The same group that’s been responsible for every terror related incident, hijacking or attempted bombing for the past 15 years. Now the DHS is going to exempt roughly 50% of the people in that group from scrutiny.
Knowing this, if you were a terrorist looking for a way to get onto a plan with explosives, how would you dress now?

AZ_Mike on November 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The question here is, if the boy’s father had protested the stripping of his little boy at the hands of government thugs, would he now be on the hook for 10k dollars in civil fines?

DngrMse on November 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM

At the risk of asking the obvious:

What happens when someone decides to attack all those innocent people waiting to get scanned/patted down?

JDice on November 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM

“Muslim women won’t have to worry about that for long anyway. Napolitano is actually considering allowing a waiver only for muslim women so they won’t have to go through the scanner OR be groped by TSA. They will, however, be allowed to ‘pat themselves’ down.” -AZ_Mike

This is a lie brought to you by our “free press.”

You are talking about the following story:

This is from the “Greeley Gazette” article:

“[The CAIR advisory] goes on to make special recommendations for Muslim women wearing a hijab covering their face. The advisory says women are to inform the officer they are only to pat down the head and neck and says ‘They should not subject you to a full-body or partial body pat-down.’ They also recommend that women should be permitted to pat themselves down and ‘have the officers perform a chemical swipe of your hands.’”

Let’s do something radical and actually look at the CAIR advisory with our own eyes instead of letting the MSM give their own spin on it. Here is the advisory:

When the CAIR advisory says that “they should not subject you to a full-body or partial body pat-down,” they are talking about a VERY SPECIFIC situation. The situation they are talking about is if you go through the metal detector, it does NOT go off, and then you are selected for secondary screening anyway for the sole reason that you are wearing a hijab. The situation is also if you do NOT have “SSS” written on your boarding pass. “SSS” stands for “special security screening”.
If there is an “SSS’ on your boarding pass, or if the metal detector does go off, CAIR makes the following recommendations:

“If you opt out of the full-image body scanner, you have the right to request that the manual search be conducted in private. It is your right to be screened by an officer of the same gender…”

These are the same rights that all passengers have. There is no special treatment here.

If the metal detector does NOT go off, and if there is no “SSS” on your boarding pass, the TSA agent may do a secondary screening anyway. In that SPECIFIC case, CAIR says that you should ask if the reason for the secondary screen if because of the hijab. If it is not, then the normal rules apply. If the reason IS because of the hijab, CAIR says the following:

“They SHOULD NOT subject you to a full-body or partial-body pat-down…Instead of the pat-down, you can always request to pat down your own scarf, including head and neck area, and have the officers perform a chemical swipe of your hands.”

This is where your bogus story comes in. Our “free press” is claiming that CAIR is asking for special treatment by allowing a “self pat down” and saying that the TSA agent should not subject you for a full pat down. There are now a lot of people criticizing Napolitano, who was appointed by an evil Democrat, because she is actually considering CAIR’s request to allow Muslims to do “self pat downs.” These people, however, do not realize that are media is not a “free press,” but is really a propaganda machine that constantly lies.

Napolitano is not considering this “request” by CAIR, because the “self pat down” procedure HAS BEEN IN EFFECT FOR 3 YEARS. This procedure was put into effect at the request of SIKHS, NOT MUSLIMS:

“The TSA announced a new policy for security screenings of religious head coverings in airports. Officials say the coverings will only be patted down if traveler permits it. Instead the person can opt to pat down their own head covering, and then have their hands swabbed with a cotton cloth to check for chemical residue.”

In 2007, Michael Chertoff was the head of Homeland Security, and Kip Hawley was the head of the TSA. Both were appointed by Bush:

The Sikhs did not want their turbans touched, so they wrote to Chertoff and told him to “stop religious profiling in US airports”:

“The meeting between the Sikh groups and TSA was organised after the Sikhs wrote directly to Michael Chertoff, secretary of Homeland Security, a letter headlined ‘Stop Religious Profiling in US Airports’. The letter made clear why the Sikhs felt strongly about it. ‘Touching a Sikh’s turban is a significant affront to his/her religious practice. In its new policy, the TSA equates searching turbans to searching a cowboy hat or a beret. This is unacceptable. A turban is a form of religious garb, not a fashion statement.’”
Thai Press Reports, “US Move to Inspect Sikh Turbans at Security Checkpoints Stirs Debate,” 3 Sept 2007

In response, Hawley “expressed understanding about the sensitivity and importance of the Sikh head dress screening” and said he “is interested in reaching a workable solution.” He also said that:

“the TSA will implement additional cultural awareness training for its transportation security officers and will continue dialogue with Sikhs and other groups.”

Hawley also set up a “diversity council”:

“On the headwear, we had some issues with members of the Sikh community who were concerned that the effect of TSA’s screening of headwear would single them out for extra treatment. And they’ve entered into an — a conversation with us that I think was very healthy on a number of fronts. And it helped us set up — and now we have a diversity council that we work through with these issues.” -Kip Hawley
Federal News Service, “Hearing of the Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection Subcommittee of the House Homeland Security Committee,” 16 Oct 2007

After Hawley responded to the Sikh concerns and put the “self pat down” procedure into place, he also announced plans to recruit Sikh youths to screen Sikh passengers:

“In a significant development, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in the United States has announced new guidelines that permit Sikh air passengers to retain their turbans at US screening checkpoints. The TSA has also announced plans to recruit Sikh youths for airport security assignments to screen Sikh passengers.”
Hidustan Times, “Sikhs can keep their turbans on in America,” 8 November 2007

So all the CAIR advisory is doing is notifying Muslims of the policy that is already in effect and has been for 3 years because the Bush administration put it into effect.

Notice how our “free press” did not report on this original story, and I had to find the details in “Thai Press Reports” and the “Hindustan Times”? Where was our “free press” then? Why did our “free press” wait until three years later to report this story, and then only to falsely blame it on Napolitano? Free press my ass.

And what is with that pansy Bush administration?

dave742 on November 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM

GWB isn’t and never was anti-American or racist

the same cannot be said about our current chump in chief

Sonosam on November 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM

TSA Screener qualfiications:
- (facepalm)

diogenes on November 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Sen. Schumer today on CBS 880 radio:
“I don’t think I’ve been through the kind of invasive body search that they’re talking about,”
Most people would know Senator or is it because you’ve been given a pass by TSA?

diogenes on November 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM

You’ll be so proud to know that you and Michael Kinsley both think it’s A-Okay to “touch your junk!” if it keeps you “safe.” A laughable and foolish notion, but there have always been fools in this world.

First of all, TSA is practicing “custody searches”commonly used on people who are arrested for a crime. Secondly, It’s sexual assault. Thirdly, The Feds are suing Arizona for a law which would allow police officers to ask suspects for documentation proving they are legal–which they are required to carry under federal law. Wouldn’t want to offend illegal immigrants, now would we?! And, lastly, the scanners are not safe, and the feds are refusing to provide verification from independent sources that they are safe. Numerous–and I mean MANY–experts vehemently point out that they are NOT SAFE.

The TSA lies about everything, all the time. But it surpasses even its own astounding record of deception when it comes to naked scanners. For starters, it implies it foisted them on us to counteract the Underwear Bomber.

Yet it was already testing them years before Umar Farouk Abdullmutallab oh-so-conveniently emasculated himself. Indeed, as long ago as 2006, the agency was touting porno-scanners as “likely future replacements for the metal detectors now in use.” Nor will these contraptions stay in airports. Cops may already be peering through your curtains and bathrobe with portable versions.

But perhaps the TSA’s biggest whoppers whitewash the hazards to our health from the two technologies with which it strips us.

mountainaires on November 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Tired of the stigma of pedophilia? Depressed and feeling outcast? Don’t despair! Join the TSA, and turn your affliction into an asset! Operators for Obama’s Department of Homeland Security TSA are standing by waiting for your call. Also, for the first 200 callers, a complementary tube of K-Y jell.

olesparkie on November 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM