Did Guns N’ Roses Steal ‘Patience’ From Tesla?

posted at 1:35 pm on November 21, 2010 by Matt Lewis

Appearing last week on VH1 Classic’s, “That Metal Show” (yes, watching that is what I do with my free time), Tesla guitarist Frank Hannon alleged that Guns N’ Roses’ famous acoustic ballad “Patience” was stolen from his band.

The accusation came during a debate over whether or not “Patience” was a better acoustic “hard rock” song than Tesla’s “Signs.”  (Some nerds debate the nuances of “Superman” or “Star Wars”; others of us argue about 80s “hair” bands! — don’t judge…).

When co-host Eddie Trunk dared to say G-N-R’s “Patience” was better, because, unlike “Signs,” which was a cover, “‘Patience’ is an original song,” Tesla’s Hannon responded, saying:

Frank Hannon: “Let me tell you something: “Patience”, we were label mates with Gun ‘n Roses on Geffen, there’s a demo of a song that we wrote called “Better Off Without You”. It is “Patience” note for note.”

Audience: “WOOOOAHHH.”

Eddie Trunk: “Sue their asses”

Don Jamieson: “Breaking news on “That Metal Show””

Jim Florentine: “And I got something else, he whistled on the song dude. You don’t whistle on a song, you sing a song.”

(This entire debate, of course, is absurd, considering everyone knows Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” is the best 80s acoustic ballad…)

… Later in the segment, Hannon said he wasn’t sure if the song had been stolen directly by G-N-R — by their management — or by Geffen.  (G-N-R rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin is credited as the primary writer of “Patience”).

Posting on a Tesla fan forum after the appearance, Hannon seemed to backtrack, writing:

The demo of “better off without you” i was talking about is an acoustic guitar version we did live at the oasis ballroom in 1985 that Geffen Records had on a ‘live’ cassette tape of a show we played. They did make some copies of it with labels on them and handed them out to people before we made our first album. If anyone can find one that would be awesome. I was not talking about the piano version that’s floating around on a bootleg.

ALSO FOR THE RECORD: “Better off without you” is a song in “D” and it does the “D/F# to G chord change in it. This is also the same type of change that G~n~R used at the end of patience, and also the same change that John Lennon uses in “Imagine” …I do not seriously feel that we wrote “Patience” in ANY WAY.

The song “Patience” is a great song that they wrote themselves, and it is only the end part that has any similar part to the guitar chords we used. I apologize for any controversy or dis-respect I may have projected in my joking around with eddie trunk about this.

My thoughts?

I don’t know which acoustic “hard rock” song is superior, but G-N-R is clearly the more significant band of the era.  Tesla was a solid 80s rock band, but G-N-R’s debut album, “Appetite for Destruction” is iconic (“Patience” is actually from their second album, perhaps ironically titled, “G ‘N R Lies”).

I haven’t heard the “Better off Without You” demo, so it’s impossible to say whether or not “Patience” is, in fact, a rip-off.

It’s also true that artists can inadvertently rip-off material they don’t remember they ever heard.

What is more, it’s entirely possible for two artists to “invent” the same song.   The opening to Jane’s Addiction’s “Superhero” (the theme to “Entourage”) is incredibly similar, for example, to a song I wrote back in the 90s called “Give Way,” but I won’t be making any serious allegations until I can get on VH1 Classic …

In any event, I think this G-N-R vs. Tesla dispute needs to be settled the old fashioned way.

Battle of the bands, anyone???

Note: I’ll be guest blogging at HotAir these next few days.  Check out my Politics Daily column, my blog at MattLewis.org, and follow me on Twitter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So how much longer are these guest bloggers going to be here?

zerosheep on November 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Mechanical Resonance is way better than Appetite for Destruction. It’s not even close.

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Bang your head…metal health will drive you mad.

Electrongod on November 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Count to 10 on November 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I used to be a big fan of Tesla, until I saw them live. Man, they stunk up the entire outdoor venue with their obnoxious crap.

Screeching, cussing singer…a promised “acoustic set” which consisted of a single acoustic song…excessive amounts of and excessively long dramatic pauses in multiple songs…the extended “live Freebird” treatment to the end of every song…obnoxious, self-indulgent guitar solo which included “Star Spangled Banner”…if there was an annoying rock n’ roll cliche, these guys hit it.

That being said, I never cared for GnR either. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Rush was where it was at in the 80′s.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

G n R is the best. Tesla who?

tommer74 on November 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Seriously? I was always partial to the Crue’s Home Sweet Home.

Koa on November 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Tesla was ten times the better band, but that doesn’t equate to popularity.

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I think we should debate which hairspray had the most hold for the metal bands.

Mojave Mark on November 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Might as well toss this in, from earlier this year — “The 5 Most Famous Musicians Who Are Thieving Bastards”.

GnR isn’t on the list, but it probably wouldn’t be a good list to bring up on, say, “Red Eye” when Imogen Lloyd Webber is a panelist…

jon1979 on November 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I dunno, but reading this made me feel like I was in my 20s again, so whatever.

di butler on November 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Pffffft … There are LOTS of better songs than that …

Bon Jovi – “I’ll be there for you”

Great White – Save you love”

Giant – “I’ll see you in my dreams”

Dokken – “Alone again”

Firehouse – “Love of a lifetime”

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Blogger took a wrong turn.

Having said that, Tesla is still a great band.

ElectricPhase on November 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Note: I’ll be guest blogging at HotAir these next few days. Check out my Politics Daily column, my blog at MattLewis.org, and follow me on Twitter.

Please make it stop.

Emperor Norton on November 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z…

illustro on November 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Bon Jovi – “I’ll be there for you”

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

This!

ladyingray on November 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Did you know Tesla was named after a guy named Tesla?! Dude, they even stole the name for their band! How can we trust anything they say?

JavelinaBomb on November 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Night Ranger-Sister Christian

JetBoy on November 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Sorry, I’m still a Deep Purple Lazy aficionado.

stonemeister on November 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Both bands stink! The debate really is who stinks more, Guns-n-butter or Tassles.

I’m thinkin’ the former, because Axel is pretentious and any technical talent “Slash” has is completely offset by his poseur affectations.

And truthfully? I have no idea why I’m even commenting on such a yawner of a post…

RocketmanBob on November 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I used to think so – until I learned to play it on guitar.

That song was one of the reasons I picked up a guitar – to learn to play it. The chord change in that is so simple any newbie should be able to play it within a week of picking up a guitar.

It REALLY was a letdown when I played it – it sounds so good – yet, so very, very simple.

Maybe that is the beauty of it though?

HondaV65 on November 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Patience was stolen from Bob Dylan’s extended version of knocking on heaven’s door. If you watch Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, the scene where Slim Pickens goes to die, Bob Dylan played the song note for note….

KZnextzone on November 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Every time I hear a Guns N Roses song lately I wonder why I ever thought they were good. Boringly loud and repetitious interrupted by the occasional pretentious balled. And the horses ass managed to screw up a romance with Stephanie Seymour.

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Night Ranger-Sister Christian

JetBoy on November 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Definitely.

lorien1973 on November 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Alternate Headline:

CONTROVERSY OVER TOPIC THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING 20 YEARS AGO.

Now a song written for Matt Lewis

HDFOB on November 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM

HDFOB on November 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM

HDFOB on November 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

1) GNR is not a hairband.

2) Patience is the best song mentioned in this post, including the overly-sappy and predictable “Every Rose Has Its Thorns”.

3) Had GNR not been splintered by drugs, alcohol, and ego, they would be considered one of the best bands of all time. I can’t even think of 3 good Tesla songs.

Nessuno on November 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

HDFOB on November 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I’ll take Van Halen over any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

sdm

stvdog on November 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

zerosheep, ElectricPhase, Emperor Norton, illustro, RocketmanBob, HDFOB…

There are many, many HA threads that would have bored the crap out of me if I bothered to check them out. The key differences are, a) I never checked them out, and b) I realized the futility of whining about how a site with thousands of visitors failed to cater to me specifically.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Tommy_G on November 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

But hey, let’s ditch the 80′s nostalgia and get back to something interesting…like what Megan McCain said about Sarah Palin on any given week.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I don’t usually like to be the “how much longer are these guest bloggers going to be here?” guy (after all I’ve BEEN a guest blogger here and there over the years when someone was on vacation).

But I fail to see how this particular post is a good fit on Hot Air.

Warner Todd Huston on November 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Finally, a post of relevance!

I don’t wanna hate, but Tesla was an average band at best. GNR was *not* a hair metal band – yes, their hair was metal-esque in 1986-88, but their sound was and remains under scrutiny wildly different from the standard 80s band – Motley Crue was the only band that came close to GNR’s sonic awesomeness.

Glad to see there was a backtrack regarding the non-existent musical theft. The only 80s rock album that comes close to touching “Appetite” is “Dr. Feelgood,” and even that’s a stretch – GNR was a band apart, and 23 years later, I still listen to their music regularly – the only other 80s band that claims that distinction, fwiw, is The Pixies, the best band post-70s period :)

elcapt on November 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Come on people. The hair bands couldn’t compete with the big boys like Maiden and Priest. And I hated the ballads. The idea of metal is loud guitars.

thekingtut on November 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

1) GNR is not a hairband.

Nessuno on November 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

This is the correct response.

brak on November 21, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I’ll take Van Halen over any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

sdm

stvdog on November 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

X2

chewydog on November 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Best band of all time? GNR? Effing GNR?!

What do they teach you kids in school these days?

Geez, Bon Scott died for your sins and you missed it.

Jimmy Page’s broken finger is a better band than GNR.

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Ballad? We don’t need no stinkin’ ballad!

Gimme Maiden. Gimme Dio. Gimme Priest.

IronDioPriest on November 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

“Why was a topic so mind numbingly stupid and unimportant green lighted at HOTAiR? Thought this was a sight for serious discussions on relevant issues of the day. Boy do I ever miss MIchelle.”

Bring back the BOSS…!

ujorge on November 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime.

robblefarian on November 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Best band of all time?

The Rolling Stones.

Emperor Norton on November 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

But I fail to see how this particular post is a good fit on Hot Air.

Warner Todd Huston on November 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I fail to see how the guest blogger is a good fit HOTAir.

Tommy_G on November 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Not a hairband? Tons of Poses, and their Appetite for Promotion, weren’t a bunch of posers? Seriously?

And all this talk of power ballads (99.5% of which suck out loud anyway), and no one mentions “Sweet Child o’ Mine”? That could be the only decent power ballad of the genre (unless Warrant’s “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” qualifies).

Blech! Time to throw on some Maiden to purge the glam from my brain.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

What is up with Every Rose Has Its Thorn? I consider it to rank right up there with Dust In The Wind. As one of the most pretentious, overblown tunes ever recorded that is.

thekingtut on November 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Nessuno on November 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

the_nile on November 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM

robblefarian on November 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime.

Great band. Great song. Great album. Great concept. But, not what we would consider a “ballad”.

Saw the “Empire” tour in the early 90′s…and they did Mindcrime front-to-finish. That show will always rank in the top five concerts I’ve seen.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Who gives a rat’s ass? Both songs suck balls.

Every Rose Has its Thorn is horrid too.

Metro on November 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Acoustic 80s ballad?

“More Than Words” by Extreme. Otherwise, “High Enough” by Damn Yankees, period.

CantCureStupid on November 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

CantCureStupid on November 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Acoustic 80s ballad?

“More Than Words” by Extreme. Otherwise, “High Enough” by Damn Yankees, period.

The only thing preventing me from wholeheartedly agreeing with you is that both of these songs were release in 1990.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM

The Everly Brothers should have sued Extreme for stealing their act for “More Than Words”. And I mean that as high praise.

SurferDoc on November 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Good bands. Metal and math rockers who stayed away from ballads. Love songs with power chords kinda suck.

dedalus on November 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

thekingtut on November 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Exactly right. Hair bands were just there for comic relief.

Captain Kirock on November 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Please make it stop.

Emperor Norton on November 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Seconded.

MadisonConservative on November 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I’m probably better qualified than some here to comment, since I’ve covered songs by both bands in my hair farming days. Honestly, I’m mystified by the sheer amount of vitriol in some of these responses. It’s almost enough to make contemplate a possible linkage between conservative politics and long haired rockers….but I’m still not seeing the relevance.

ElectricPhase on November 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM

dedalus on November 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

To be fair, the songs in Maiden’s “Charlotte the Harlot” saga could be considered love songs…in a twisted, sad, and dark kind of way. And even Judas Priest had “Before the Dawn”. I’d offer that up as a better 80′s power ballad, except that few have heard of it.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Pfft yourself…you forgot Steelheart – “She’s Gone.”

James on November 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM

That’s what I get for commenting on the road. Oh well… I still prefer my picks. :)

CantCureStupid on November 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I’ll take Van Halen over any of the bands mentioned in this thread.
sdm
stvdog on November 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Van Halen is so far above and beyond any other band in history that its not even fair to mention their name.

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Before The Dawn is from 1978

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:05 PM

CantCureStupid on November 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Indeed. They are great songs, and from bands that actually had talent.

Interesting aside…both Blades and Shaw tried to recruit Triumph’s Rik Emmet into Damn Yankees. If there was anyone on the planet who could make DA an even better supergroup, it would have been him.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 3:06 PM

First it’s kids having visions of sea-eyed Jesus and now discussions of 80s rock bands? What’s happened to our site?

Tzetzes on November 21, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Before The Dawn is from 1978

Doh!

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I only listen to one type of music – good music.

That covers multiple genres for me – vintage country, outlaw country, country rock, folk rock, vintage rock, a little bit of current rock, blues, soul and broadway music.

I aim to augment those genres as time permits, but I have learned to not exclude musicians whom I find to be hippies, ex-cons, felons, etc.

That said, I think that GNR was a very talented band and I like all of its early works, especially Appetite for Destruction.

Like most people who find hippies to be at the bottom of the food chain, of course I would like to climb into the ring with Axl Rose, but he and his band went through a nice, albeit brief, run of quality rock.

I am not really familiar with Tesla, but it sounds like a pissing contest between one has-been band and another never-was band.

molonlabe28 on November 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM

you forgot Steelheart – James

Haha I had that on tape! TAPE! Haha remember those?

Anyway, there are loads of other ballads better than Patience, that was a short list off the top of my head :-)

Skid Row – “I remember you”

Heart – “Alone”

Extreme – “When I first kissed you”

Slaughter – “Fly to the angels”

Chrissy Steele – “Love don’t last forever”

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Ozzy – Goodbye To Romance
Night Ranger – Goodbye
Skid Row – I Remember You
Cinderella – Don’t Know What You Got Til It’s Gone
Scorpions – You Give Me All I Need
Triumph – Killing Time
Saigon Kick – Love Is On The Way

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Hot Air, indeed.

Potfry on November 21, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Finally, a topic I am more interested in that politics!

In my opinion, Tesla was one of the worst hair bands of the 80s/90s. Nothing will ever live up to Skid Row or Shotgun Messiah baby.

Vigilante on November 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I love 80s rock and was tickled to see a post about it.
:) I actually consider GNR and Tesla two of my all-time favorite bands… as well as L.A. Guns and Def Leppard…

My husband and I have quotes from Warrant’s “Heaven” on our wedding bands… Mine says, “Your biggest fan” and his says “hero of this girl.” We only got married five years ago, so you can tell I am still a hair band girl deep inside. I was so crushed when grunge came along and replaced my fun-loving, feel-good rock n’ roll with music that seemed just plain depressing. To quote my hubby, I am a cheesy poof. :)

squeek71 on November 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Speaking of haters…

For those who don’t like what the guest bloggers are offering, what would you like? More posts about TSA, Dancing with the Stars, MSNBC meltdowns and Chris Christie? They’re guests for a reason – the change of pace has been refreshing this weekend.

/brown-noser

elcapt on November 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM

squeek71 on November 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Is this your family picture?

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I was so crushed when grunge came along and replaced my fun-loving, feel-good rock n’ roll with music that seemed just plain depressing. – Squeek

So true, that garbage is almost as bad as rap.

Tony737 on November 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM

The 90′s sucked, big time.

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Schtick?

toliver on November 21, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Wow, that was harsh. No none of us have mullets. I don’t still dress 80s… I just love the music. Good grief. The 80s were a happy, upbeat time IMO.

squeek71 on November 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I’m trying really, really, REALLY hard, but I just can’t bring myself to give a sh!t.

fusionaddict on November 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Peter Green, anyone?

adamsmith on November 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Peter Green, anyone?

adamsmith on November 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Most people would be very surprised to hear what kind of a band Fleetwood Mac originally was.

Mark1971 on November 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Queensryche: Silent Lucidity

Much Better

portlandon on November 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Are you smoking dope?! Everyone knows Motley Crue’s Without You is far superior.

mizflame98 on November 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Nevermind. Motley Crue isn’t accoustic and they really suck. I listened to Zeppelin during the 80′s so what do I know.

mizflame98 on November 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Huge waste of a blog entry.

mankai on November 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM

For my money, Rush is THE BAND; all the others can Exit Stage Right! Closer To The Heart, Time Stands Still, The Trees, are my fave. Oh, and to mix it up, I listened to Triumph. Those were the days…

Every once in a while, Pandora tries to sneak in GNR, even though I give them thumbs down.

TN Mom on November 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Mechanical Resonance was and still is a great rock album.

gator70 on November 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM

While this Tesla vs. GNR thread has been fun to read in the comments, I think that there is one thing on which all of us former and current metalheads can agree on: The current incarnation of Guns ‘N Roses (AKA The Axl Rose Vanity Band AKA GNR Without Any of the Musicians Who Were Talented) sucks hard. “Chinese Democracy” licks the sweat off a dead man’s balls, to steal a classic movie line from the 80′s, and if Axl Rose still had any self respect, he’d kill himself.

On this there can be no debate and you’re all a bunch of RINO candyasses if you disagree.

Dukeboy01 on November 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM

House of Broken Love.

BKeyser on November 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM

But seriously, Steel Panther are the masters of the hair metal power ballads.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Tesla’s “Signs.”

Ahhh… you mean Tesla’s piss poor cover of Five Man Electrical Band’s signs…..

Caper29 on November 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Saigon Kick, “Love is on the Way”. Blows those other cheesy 80′s ballads away.

But Blue Murder’s “Save My Love” is the king of all metal ballads. John Sykes Rules.

IronDioPriest on November 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM

TN Mom on November 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM

+100 for Canuckistanian Power Trios!!

Triump at US Fest(1983)…

Rush Tom Sawyer….

Caper29 on November 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Axl Rose? Hot Air? My head…it hurts…

Bee on November 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM

It’s like this: If you’re a guy and you find yourself arguing with someone over which is/was the best metal ballad, you might want to…I dunno, put your purse down, step back for a minute and think about what you’re doing.

Metal ballads suck. Unless you’re a chick. Or trying to score.

Cnation on November 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Who are those bands?

THERE IS ONLY ONE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD: MUSE!

RUNNER-UPS:

GRIZZLY BEAR
JIMMY EAT WORLD
FALL OUT BOY
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
ARCADE FIRE

TheAlamos on November 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM

CantCureStupid on November 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Acoustic 80s ballad?

“More Than Words” by Extreme. Otherwise, “High Enough” by Damn Yankees, period.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Which is the #1 reason (besides the fact it wasn’t acoustic) that I will not throw Wind of Change out there. The all time we are kicking you commie asses song from a time when Germans were cold hard commie killers. Is that enough politics for those that read through an entire post and comments just to say they do not like the theme of the post?

cobrakai99 on November 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Cnation on November 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Metal ballads suck. Unless you’re a chick. Or trying to score.

I always impressed more chicks playing “The Rain Song” by Led Zeppelin than any cheesy 80′s ballad.

But, you are off the mark busting on people for feeling sentimental or nostalgic over metal ballads. Furthermore, there are a number of killer Led Zeppelin songs that could fall into the “heavy metal ballad” category, for instance. Can you honestly say this all acoustic song by Iron Maiden isn’t epic? Or that guitar players and singers all around the world don’t burn up with envy listening to this Judas Priest song?

Some bands get the ballad thing right.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Awesome topic for a Sunday night!!! I like all of these bands and robblefarian beat me to naming the best band of all, Queensryche! Dokken wasn’t bad either. I liked Tesla, but never saw them live. I did see them on tv a couple of years ago on the fundraiser for the Station nightclub disaster and they totally sucked. I saw GnR several times and they totally sucked too. As somebody pointed out they sucked mostly because of drug issues. I think Axel Rose was great when he was sober. I even like his recent album, the one that took him like 10 years to make. But I’d pick Queensryche over GnR and Tesla. (I’d pick Def Leppard over them also). The Queensryche power ballad “Silent Lucidity”, which features an orchestra, I can’t ever hear that one too much.

shanimal on November 21, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I’ll take Van Halen over any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

sdm

stvdog on November 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Roth or Hagar?

Peter Green, anyone?

adamsmith on November 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Or Danny Kirwan, maybe?

Bigfoot on November 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Bigfoot on November 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Roth or Hagar?

Was that a serious question?

Hagar solo + Van Halen w/Roth >> Roth solo + Van Halen w/Hagar

Furthermore, I’d take Montrose over “Van Hagar” any day. And, I’d also like to call attention to the fact that Gary Cherone wasn’t even a choice in your question. Can’t blame you for that…

I still can’t get over the fact that Patty Smyth (“Shooting at the wall of heartache / bang bang / I am the warrior”) was a serious consideration to replace Roth.

ynot4tony2 on November 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I can’t tell you how many shows I saw at The Oasis Ballroom back in the day. Back when Tesla was billed as City Kidd. But Tesla was straight on Rock – No glam, no makeup, no leather, just Jeans and T-Shirts.

juanito on November 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM