Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on November 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

My old friend Jonathan Last found another fine varietal Obama whine in his post-election press conference, part of Barack Obama’s effort to blame the voters for not appreciating how truly awesome he has been as President.  This one also has an element of a pity party, similar to yesterday’s OOTD when Obama complained to CBS’ Chip Reid that no one bothers to ask him how many compliments he gets from world leaders who just angrily rejected his suggestion that they should scold China for doing exactly what the US is doing with its currency management.  Two weeks ago, Obama complained that the cameras don’t catch him doing really awesome work often enough:

Those letters that I read every night, some of them just break my heart.  Some of them provide me encouragement and inspiration.  But nobody is filming me reading those letters.  And so it’s hard, I think, for people to get a sense of, well, how is he taking in all this information?

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?  What’s next, filming paint dry and fruit flies multiplying?

It hasn’t yet occurred to Obama that voters don’t wonder how he is “taking in all this information” from letters when Obama spent the last two years arrogantly ignoring the demonstrations and anger of the electorate.  It might take a repeat in 2012 for him to finally take in that information, and by that time it will be too late.

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

I need to see another picture with Obama and a halo.

Electrongod on November 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM

But nobody is filming me reading those letters.

maybe he should take up chalk drawings and then all his dreams could come true.

ted c on November 18, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Ugh….arrogance at it’s finest.

sicoit on November 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM

he’ll never get it…

cmsinaz on November 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM

On a scale of zero to ten, fruit flies multiplying is about a 7, and Obama reading letters is about a .0000001

percysunshine on November 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Up next on Politico: A photo essay of Obama reading letters from dirty uniformed and ungrateful Americans. Count on it!

Key West Reader on November 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM

(Captain Renault voice) I am shocked, shocked that this POTUS thinks he is living The Truman Show.

apostic on November 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters? What’s next, filming paint dry and fruit flies multiplying?

he wants to star in his own episode of Picture Pages.

ted c on November 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Unbelievable. This guy must have had people kissing wiping his ash all his life. It really is a chapter out of “Coming to America.”

disa on November 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Key West Reader on November 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM

i’m sure they have hundreds ready to go now…

cmsinaz on November 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

me me me me me me me me me me
Obama’s just warming up.

gordo on November 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

What a whiny loser this jerk is. Next he’ll be complaining that nobody is filming his bowel movements — and sometimes those can be so hard!

Thanks again, 52%ers, for inflicting this narcissistic menace on the rest of us.

AZCoyote on November 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I wonder if any of the ones I have sent did this? Mine start off with the salutation: “Hey a$$hole!” and end with “RESIGN!!!”

Dingbat63 on November 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Cartesian question: If you turn off the camera, does the man go away?

apostic on November 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Just wow.

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I just can’t picture obama reading letters from the rabble every night, somehow that’s out of character.

tinkerthinker on November 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Every time he opens his mouth,we are reminded what a selfish,egotistical person he is.And embarrassingly,this is our president.

ohiobabe on November 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM

The cameras film not just the president reading the letters, but reading some of them aloud.

Reading is really his only skill, you know. He’s got to showcase it. Does TOTUS help out?

Disturb the Universe on November 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM

POTUS thinks he is living The Truman Show.
apostic on November 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM

There is something disturbingly surreal about all this. Chauncey Gardiner also comes to mind.

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM

tinkerthinker on November 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I can. As he’s toking on a bong and slamming some sort of high priced liquor while moochelle soaks her scaly dogs in the bubble bath: “Yo, chelle! Check out this idiot who say they eating franks and beans instead of chuck steak! Bahahahahaha. Bahahahahahaha. Pass me the caviar and peel me a grape. Bahahahahahaha.”

Our Presideuce

Key West Reader on November 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM

A good retort to this would be a clip of Mike Myers as Simon in the bathtub with his “draw-rings”….I can’t find one on youtube, he used to do it on SNL.

ted c on November 18, 2010 at 8:30 AM

In North Korea there’s a lot of pictures of Dear Leader doing a lot crap as well…

Caper29 on November 18, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Sitting in a rocker next to the fireplace with his faithful dog, Bo, lying next to him. I can see it all now.

Kissmygrits on November 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM

This weeks Standard has a great article on the Prezzes over load of vanity. Some of the things O’s has said in the past are truly eye opening. He must think about himself 24/7.

jeanie on November 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?

Except they are!

(Ed, do you read the obamaisms@edmorrissey.com or is this a coincidence?)

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM

“I like to watch botch.”

apostic on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Ed, you missed the real Obamateurism. Obama has been filmed reading those letters. He actually lied. I made a video of it:

Lettergate – Obama Lies Again

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?
Except they are!

(Ed, do you read the obamaisms@edmorrissey.com or is this a coincidence?)

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Oh, My. That was created on 11/4/10. How interesting.

Key West Reader on November 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?

Um, does The Whine not realize that at night, in the White House, He controls the cameras. If Dear Liar wanted, He could have videographers taping (digitalizing? hey, I’ve still got most of my music on vinyl) Him reading those letters in the Oval Office.

Forget the narcissism, the logic is kindergarten level stupid. National security level concern stupid. Biden looks better every day. Resign now.

rbj on November 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/snif

Mr_Magoo on November 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Help us ObiWhine. You’re our only hope.

Mr_Magoo on November 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM

he’ll never get it…

cmsinaz on November 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Yes he will…..on Tuesday, November 6, 2012….it will be called “the big boot”.

Rovin on November 18, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Do you suppose that he (Obama) thinks that these letters he gets are indicative of the point of view of the average American? Can you imagine most of us writing whiny, feel sorry for me letters to the WH?!! Most of the American electorate is more likely to write(if they write at all) a letter strongly suggesting that he change course. Funny, how he hears these sob stories but can’t hear the majority of the rest of us shouting we don’t like the direction you’re taking this country. Talk about selective deafness.

jeanie on November 18, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Lettergate – Obama Lies Again

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Pretty work…

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I’m not worried Obama was born in another country, I’m worried he was born on another planet.

NoDonkey on November 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM
No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Ha! So he’s a poseur and a liar. Who knew? I’m still waiting for a video of him scooping up the poop before he puts the girls to bed.

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Could this be called “a vintage whine”? (corkage fee, $3 trillion dollars)

Rovin on November 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM

But nobody is filming me reading those letters.

And where might he be reading all those letters? On the basketball court?

Who does he think believes this crap?

petefrt on November 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM

He’ll be taking in that information, alright. In 2012 he’ll take it in about a yard up his butt.

SurferDoc on November 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Good work, but I could not stomach much of His Awesomeness in His propoganda piece.

FOWG1 on November 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM

jeanie on November 18, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Lettergate – Obama Lies Again

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM
Pretty work…

pain train

Thanks. Obama is a gift that keeps on giving to me. I always ask the question. Where is Leno, SNL? This stuff just falls in their lap, but they never see it.

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I first filed this under “it’s hard being me”. But then, no, put it under “it’s now well established I care more about appearances than the truth, so, I’d love for people to see how I appear when I read moving letters to myself”.

As an aside, GW Bush used to meet with families of those killed in action, and pray, and cry with them, always in private. Can you imagine Obama crying in that situation? Oh, there’s videotape? /sarc Sorry I asked!

Paul-Cincy on November 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Clinton used to bite his lip when he was trying to demonstrate empathy.

Do Zero’s ears droop?

I really don’t think he can fake it like Bill, When he was pinning the CMOH winner the other day, his body language and smug smile looked like “isn’t it great to be standing up here getting a hug from your CIC?”

Does he read letters from TOTUS or have someone read them to him?

ontherocks on November 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Obviously, any letters this moron reads at night have been vetted first by staff. I’m sure the ones they pass on all start, “Dear Mr. President, you are so wonderful…”

PatMac on November 18, 2010 at 9:04 AM

The Chocolate Jesus Soros-Bots cannot cry.

Key West Reader on November 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I think O had a Transactional Analysis children’s book read to him as achild. He just has to get those “Warm Fuzzies.”

Beaglemom on November 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Yeah, he reads the letters his flunkies have filtered . . .
I wonder just how many he gets that complain about his policies that have exacerbated the poor economy and joblessness?

tpitman on November 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM

My old friend Jonathan Last…

For those of you not familiar with Jonathan V. Last’s work, he is perhaps one of the funniest & most talented writers out there (and he doesn’t take as many vaycaycay’s as Mark Steyn – who may very well be the best).

If your in the mood/need for/of a chuckle, I encourage you to check out some of Jonathan’s work here.

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Maybe this would make him happy:

“Obama takes a Royal dump. FILM at 11!”

Yoop on November 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Rovin, YES!

cmsinaz on November 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

But that isn’t filming filming.

csdeven on November 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Not surprised. Obama spent almost a year being totally idolized so of course he’s dumbfounded when it finally stops. Wait until he starts complaining that even foreign nations have caught on to him and no longer “adore” the won.

katablog.com on November 18, 2010 at 9:41 AM

What’s next, filming paint dry and fruit flies multiplying?

Those things would be far sight more fascinating to watch. ;) LOL

C’mon now. I’d bet hard earned money that Obutthead recieved more then a few letters asking him to back off of health care, and focus on jobs, and the economy. He ignored those cries. So we’re to believe he reads letters that break his heart? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

He doesn’t give a flip about anyone but himself, and the proof is in the fact that he believes they should film him reading letters. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd.

capejasmine on November 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Speaking of letters, where was Barack when Pelosi & Hoyner wrote a nasty letter (USA Today) calling us “un-American”?? He said nothing, just stood there as the leaders of his own party called us names. It’s partly why I can’t stand him; there are other reasons, to be sure, but not defending Americans from such attacks is unforgivable.

TN Mom on November 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Those letters that I read every night, some of them just break my heart.

Dear Daddy:

I need help with my Social Studies homework. My teacher told me to learn the capitals of 50 states, but you visited 57 states. What are the capitals of the other 7 states?

Love,
Sasha

Steve Z on November 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Remember this: one letter Barry definitely wasn’t interested in reading.

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM

January 3, 2011

Dear Mr. President:

Today, an unruly mob of 241 people broke into my office and stole my hammer! Could you please bring it back to me?

Your friend,
Nancy

Steve Z on November 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Proof positive that Obama filters out any critism towards HIM, nothing is negative about himself, the faults are alwasy laid at other’s doors. Only compliments and people encouraging him are accepted into his brains.

A clinincal case, if there ever is one.

Sir Napsalot on November 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

“OK, somebody stole my letters. I need the W, the O, and the N back, RIGHT NOW!”- Barry O.

Yoop on November 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM

From Obama’s refusal to visit the wounded at Landstuhl because he couldn’t turn it into a photo op, to his botched photo op at Dover AFB watching flagged caskets coming off C-17′s which did not turn all the people into enlightened adoring Obamatrons, and this latest “nobody films me reading private letters” garbage, does any rational thinking American not believe that Obama is nothing but a made-by-media two-bit actor made up of whole cloth, no more relevant to the real world around us than some reality-show lunkhead?

Name one thing Obama has done on his own in this Administration that has achieved good results. On his own. Not fronting for somebody else or fronting for Congress. On his own.

I can’t think of one.

coldwarrior on November 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?

Well maybe he should kick Valerie Jarrett in the ass for not doing her job.

GarandFan on November 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

But nobody is filming me reading those letters.

I think he wants to make the Presidency a reality show series. Imagine it, cameras filming him steadily for the entire time he’s the President. Mr. Obama is a narcissist, he would love that. We could see him being awesome all the time.

Troy Rasmussen on November 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I think he wants to make the Presidency a reality show series.

Troy Rasmussen on November 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

The Truman Barry Show:

Truman
Barry thinks that he is an ordinary extraordinary man with an ordinary extraordinary life and has no idea about how he is exploited viewed as a total assclown. Until one day… he finds out everything he gets thrown out of office by the unwashed masses.

pain train on November 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I can’t think of one.

coldwarrior on November 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

He personally invented the beer summit, and inducted the first corpse men in the Navy/Marines.

ontherocks on November 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Fear not posters, the loudest cries for resignation will very soon come from the left, not conservatives. Conservatives, true to nature, will show respect for the office of the president and the rule of law. Liberals have never had that respect. The liberals’ favorite Nazi stooge is already turning on him, -that’s the sign that the rest will soon follow.

If the lefties see their lifelong dream of a socialist America slipping away because of one man, no tactic will be off the table.

slickwillie2001 on November 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Those letters that I read every night, some of them just break my heart. Some of them provide me encouragement and inspiration. But nobody is filming me reading those letters. And so it’s hard, I think, for people to get a sense of, well, how is he taking in all this information?

In other words, the narcissistic personality disorder president believes that seeing him read letters would change the people’s view of him. What a sorrow figure he is. Don’t feel anything but disgust for this fraud.

Schadenfreude on November 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM

it looks to me.. this guy outta be filmed 24 hours a day. It’s a a medical miracle that he can control his drooling and slobbering.

roflmao

donabernathy on November 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

What happened to the White House’s OTV? Why wasn’t it been allowed to record, edit, and stage this production?

Propaganda is hard…

Fallon on November 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Jebus he’d have to take a remedial course to advance to “My Pet Goat”

roflmao

donabernathy on November 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM

“But nobody is filming me reading those letters.”

Perhaps we need to see Obama doing his daily affirmations.

Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble
when you’re perfect in every way.
I can’t wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better loking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble
but I’m doing the best that I can.

DSchoen on November 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Is Obama seriously wondering why no one films him reading letters?

The media doesn’t show him reading letters because they’re still covering for him, and don’t want him to be embarrassed.

Maybe once he stops moving his lips when he reads because he insists on having the letters loaded onto TOTUS.

malclave on November 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Lettergate – Obama Lies Again

No Niks on November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Now, now. He didn’t lie. You just need to parse his statements correctly.

He said that he reads these letters every night. He also said that no one films him reading these letters.

And from a Clintonian parsing, that’s true. No one films him reading those letters every night.

They only film him reading some of them, and only some of the time.

Cut him some slack!

/sarc

VekTor on November 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Maybe Obama should have some TSA employees drop by to give him an “advanced pat-down” at the end of each day….

landlines on November 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM