Correction to New England Health Care Story

posted at 2:32 pm on November 18, 2010 by Jazz Shaw

On November 14th, I published an article here concerning exemptions from this years health care reform legislation granted to various organizations. One of the groups featured from that list of applicants was identified as New England Health Care, which we linked to at their site which identified the full name as “New England Health Care Institute.”

Hot Air has since been contacted by a representative of NEHCI in a message which included the following statement:

The New England Healthcare Institute did not apply for nor receive the waiver and we do not fit the profile of the company on HHS’s website. We have less than two dozen enrollees as opposed to the more than 7,400 covered by the entity in question. So the claims you’ve made against our organization are inaccurate and untrue. The Department of Health and Human Services has clarified the organization’s full name and you’ll see they’ve updated the list today: It was the New England Health Care Employees Welfare Fund that received the waiver.

First, my apologies to New England Healthcare for the incorrect reference. As you will see, the list of waiver applicants has indeed now been revised to provide a longer name for the applicant in question, listed as, “New England Health Care Employees Welfare Fund.” (NEHCEWF)

A search for an exact match on that name produced conflicting results, but we did locate a listing for the “New England Health Care Employees Welfare & Pension Fund” who I contacted. The link for their web site redirects to the URL http://nehceu.org/ which certainly appears to be the proper acronym, but their web page displays a title of SEIU Healthcare 1199NE. Their mailing address is listed as 77 Huyshope Ave. in Hartford, Connecticut.

Upon calling the phone number listed for the organization, a woman answered the phone saying, “SEIU 1199″ and then informed me that this was not, in fact, the NEHCEWF but she could provide me with the number, and did so. Upon calling that number I was informed that I had indeed reached the NEHCEWF, and that their address was also 77 Huyshope Ave. in Hartford, Connecticut.

My final inquiry was to confirm whether or not they had received an exemption from the recent federal health care regulations and were the same entity listed on the HHS web site. Neither person I spoke to was able to answer that question, and the message I left on their manager’s voice mail has not been returned at the time of this writing.

Comments

well…even if they didn’t apply for the waiver, you know they wanted one anyway….

ted c on November 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Aw, the reputation of a union-thug socialistcare was hurt?

That’s too bad.

So I guess when your crappy medical care kills my grandma, that will make us “even” right?

*no apologies necessary, jazz*

picklesgap on November 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Well,…Surprise,Surprise,Surprise.

portlandon on November 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

OT: They’re back. Sentencing on Charlie should be soon!

milwife88 on November 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Strange bedfellows?

Rovin on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM

portlandon on November 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

They may have separate suites in the same building. That’s very common up heah in New England. They’re too far away for me to go see.

dogsoldier on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Well,…Surprise,Surprise,Surprise.

portlandon on November 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

The Obama administration is run by crooks and liars.

Jaibones on November 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Well,…Surprise,Surprise,Surprise.
portlandon on November 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I think it is more like… Who would have Thunk!

upinak on November 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I bet there is also a Planned Parenthood and Organizing for America office at the same address.

BobMbx on November 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Word to wise from media professional here – make sure you’re recording every phone call whether they give consent or not.

And Connecticut, as far as I know, doesn’t have a “two-party consent” state law, so you don’t need to ask them if they consent to being recorded.

Good Lt on November 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Where’s my hat tip?

I asked in the original if this should have been linked to the NE union.

mankai on November 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Sure it’s not… NEHCEU New England Health Care Employees Union?

mankai on November 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I was in the neighborhood.

;)

mankai on November 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Just keeps getting better & beeter. Can. Not. WAIT until the next update!!!

mgman on November 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

but she could provide me with the number, and did so

She probably could have just transferred you to the next cubicle.

azkenreid on November 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Neither person I spoke to was able to answer that question

Unable, or unwilling?

capejasmine on November 18, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Um, maybe not TOO far…

HammerNH on November 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM

but she could provide me with the number, and did so

“She also asked me if I wanted information on getting tax breaks for 14-year-old Honduran ‘performing artists’ for some reason.”

mankai on November 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

if you follow that link you need to click the ‘Earth’ button and zoom in.
It should also pull up a list of companies (ALL unions) at this address.

HammerNH on November 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

WTF is this? Corrections don’t happen on the internet.

Abby Adams on November 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

HammerNH on November 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Wow. A veritable lefty cornucopia.

azkenreid on November 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Well, you know you have to get the waiver to see what’s in it . . .

At this location: