TSA chief to senators: I can arrange to have your junk touched if you’d like

posted at 6:53 pm on November 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband, because they’re touching everybody’s junk out there.

John Pistole told senators on the Senate Science, Commerce and Transportation Committee that he “insisted” on receiving the pat-down to “experience what that involves so that we would know before we rolled it out,” and added that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has gotten a pat-down as well.

“Honestly, any member who has not experienced that pat-down [and] who would like to do that — I would not offer it — but an experienced qualified security officer would be glad to do that,” Pistole said…

“Yes, it was more invasive than what I was used to,” said Pistole. “Of course, what’s in my mind … is what are the plots out there, how are we informed by the latest intelligence and latest technology and what do we need to do to ensure the American people that as they travel that we are being thorough.”

You’ll be pleased to hear that GOP Senators Mike Johanns and George LeMieux both challenged Pistole on the junk-touching at today’s hearing, whereas the most notable contribution from Democrats was Claire McCaskill celebrating the fact that the new see-through scanners would enable her to avoid, ahem, “love pats” from TSA screeners. Here’s Pistole on with Shep Smith during the three p.m. hour of Fox, with Shep pressing him on the inevitable hypothetical of what’ll happen if a jihadi smuggles explosives onto a flight via “body cavity.” Pistole essentially brushes him off, insisting that the current technology should be sufficient for all our needs but acknowledges that airline security is … “evolving.” Hey, buddy? If the day ever comes when a passenger is asked to submit to a patdown and the screener pulls out a pocket flashlight, it’s game over.

Exit question: Are we absolutely sure that the see-through scanners work? Or are we all better off skipping them and submitting to the mandatory crank-yanking instead?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Someone is going to strike it rich teaching pigs how to sniff out explosives.

aikidoka on November 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Irony:

TSA requires groping of my junk, but allows terrorists to carry these on a plane.

Take three terrorists, each with a pair of knitting needles, and one terrorist with a roll of duct tape, and you have a shank factory.

john bono on November 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Someone is going to strike it rich teaching pigs how to sniff out explosives.

aikidoka on November 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Bomb sniffing pigs? Sure. Already been done…and well.

coldwarrior on November 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

When is the appointment for Pelosi and Reid to be groped? I’d like to be there for that.

Dingbat63 on November 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

The absurdity of all of this is distressing: Not just the rules they whimsically make then modify, but the tone deafness of our government to The People’s outrage.

GaltBlvnAtty on November 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I like the idea of pig sniffers! That will expose the Jihad’ists! Sweet!

Dingbat63 on November 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Bomb sniffing pigs? Sure. Already been done…and well.

coldwarrior on November 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

\

Well someone needs to jump on that since it’s already been done.

aikidoka on November 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I defy anybody to give me a sample of more arrogance than Odumbo and his crew.

ultracon on November 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Dingbat63 on November 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

And this will be the TSA official chosen to do the groping?

coldwarrior on November 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Second look at Airport Security
/Larry Craig

burnitup on November 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM

’ve just been fitted for mine, I’d like to see the TSA handle this

Kini on November 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM

rof,
WTF was that on it’s back?!?!
Damn, he’d fit right in for TSA employment.

OkieDoc on November 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM

A little pig fat could be used to accomplish a lot in the area of security.

JellyToast on November 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM

What I wanna know is this:

If I’m “randomly selected” to go through the peepshow machine and I refuse, and THEN I refuse the Junk-Grab search, do I;

A. Get refused entry to the concourse and my flight
B. Get “detained” by the TSA
C. Get arrested by local police

I ask because I have to take a flight next month and I utterly REFUSE to surrender my Fourth Amendment rights under any and all circumstances. Which means I have no intention of going through the peepshow machine OR submitting to the Junk-Grab. It just ain’t happening.

wearyman on November 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

The terrorists have won if this is their best idea of “protecting” Americans.

scalleywag on November 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I doubt it.
Rather, we will get passive go-along, what-are-we-gonna-do bs from all of the elites in both corrupt parties, including most bloggers right and left of center.

james23 on November 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM

TSA chief to senators: I can arrange to have your junk touched if you’d like

Don’t let Bawney get wind of this; he’ll be racking up frequent flier miles like it’s going out of style.

Dopenstrange on November 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Tell me..if Nancy now has to fly commercial are we going to be treated to a new view of her? LOL

jeanie on November 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I wonder if someone can get a judge to issue an injunction or TRO against TSA before going on a flight to enjoin them from preventing you from missing your flight if you refuse the patdown and naked scanner on 4th Amendment grounds. Just a thought.

txmomof6 on November 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

It’s all about power. They now have an excuse (terrorism) to use it against us. The indignity they are imposing on us in “pat downs” is just a ploy to get us to use the machines which is a money maker for well connected someones. And, there is enough money involved to share with their partners in crime.

Hobbes on November 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM

any member who has not experienced that pat-down [and] who would like to do that … an experienced qualified security officer would be glad to do that,” Pistole said.

Why does that simple phrase fill me with something less than confidence?

Would be GLAD to do that?

/hey bucko, that’s exactly what we are all concerned with. If you’re a pervert, screw hanging around elementary schools — that will get you arrested. Become a TSA employee instead and get paid for touching peoples’ genitals. Oh, and the best part? If they refuse, they are the ones who will get arrested and fined.

AZfederalist on November 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM

How much of our passenger rail system is still intact? Haven’t heard of anyone taking a train forever. Somebody with a few smarts (that rules out govt. employees like Pasty Pistole–where do they find these guys!!) should get new routes and schedules chugging tomorrow.

Mae on November 17, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Why does Pisty think it’s so grand to be felt up by a person of the same sex?

Mae on November 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Wonder how many convicted 5ex offenders are now employed by TSA?

bannedbyhuffpo on November 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Require TSA employees to be board certified MDs in Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology. If you’re going to start doing pelvic exams, may as well k!ll two birds with one stone.

bannedbyhuffpo on November 17, 2010 at 11:44 PM

They are willing to do anything, short of common sense, to protect us.

They are willing to stick their hands down your pants but they won’t profile or search for people more, rather than less likely, to commit acts of terror.

I have no intention of cooperating with anything the TSA asks of me. They’ve made themselves enemies of the American people and they are hated. Just hated!!

BillCarson on November 17, 2010 at 11:53 PM

A. Get refused entry to the concourse and my flight
B. Get “detained” by the TSA
C. Get arrested by local police

wearyman on November 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Based on the “Don’t grab my junk” example the following happens.

1) You don’t get on your plane.
2) They rip up your ticket so you can’t get a refund (destroying your property needlessly).
3) After threatening you, armed personnel escort you out of the airport.
4) They fine you $11,000 for leaving the airport as the police instructed you to do. Follow the instructions of the TSA agents and police will net you this fine; I suspect not following these instructions will be more costly though…

So that’s what you have to look forward to if you decline both options.

And before you think #4 is an accident; the head of the TSA has stated they’re opening an investigation and proceeding with the fines, and they’re 11K not the 10K they threatened him with at the gate.

Good luck.

gekkobear on November 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM

We’re flying home for Christmas. I won’t perform for the naked body scanner. Had to do that last year, before I was educated about the cancer issues.

Frankly, if they decide to grab my (or my wife’s) junk, I’ll give them a moment to remember.

Perverts.

realitycheck on November 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Perverts.

realitycheck on November 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM

As someone I work with stated today, “there’s only one person who puts their hands in my pants, and she lives in my house!”

That was his second statement, the first comment when hearing about the aggressive pat-downs was, “I don’t think so” in perfect pitch and voice that dripped with sarcasm. This dude has a black belt, I’m not sure what the ramifications will be when reflexes take over and some TSA dude gets flattened.

AZfederalist on November 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Get ready airports.
Next week for Thanksgiving,all hell is going to break loose.

Mark7788 on November 18, 2010 at 12:48 AM

The invasive degradations by TSA are Nazi-like.
Are we living in a police state?

Mark7788 on November 18, 2010 at 12:50 AM

TSA may want to consider stationing troops and National Guard units at all airports, because the catastrophe is coming next week, Thanksgiving holiday.
Nazis!

Mark7788 on November 18, 2010 at 12:52 AM

PC, political correctness is destroying our nation. Handling security like they do in Israel, which is much more efficient and thoughtful and effective, is not PC.
So we all suffer because of PC.

Mark7788 on November 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Has the “Touch My Junk and I’m Having You Arrested” phrase been copyrighted yet?
What a d’bag… rotating through the talking points about partnership with the traveling public, and we’re just trying to insure the safety…

RalphyBoy on November 18, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Wonder how many convicted 5ex offenders are now employed by TSA?

bannedbyhuffpo on November 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM

A lot more than were two weeks ago…

Kevin71 on November 18, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Reproductive organs are not ‘junk.’ Without them most of us wouldn’t be here.

zoyclem on November 18, 2010 at 7:09 AM

The solution to this situation is simple….defund DHS and TSA. They haven’t made us safer, they have only trampled on our liberty. If DHS was really doing its job the borders would be secure from the invaders.

belad on November 18, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Bomb sniffing pigs

zOMG! Yes. This this this!!!11

bitsy on November 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM

How do we tie the economy, healthcare, and security all together and reduce the size of government at the same time? Yes, you guessed it a new and improved government program. This program has a couple components.

First, all US citizens (and illegals too) will be required to take at least one flight each year.

Second, TSA will retrain all agents as medical assistants, and hire radiologists to view and read the AIT scans. TSA supervisers will be Obamacare physicians. Passengers will be required to have BOTH the AIT scan and the new, even more invasive pat down/love pats/groping. This new “pat down” will include ears, eyes, mouth, prostate exams for men and v exams for women.

This new program will allow TSA to identify and remove security threats as well as health threats to the flying public. The program will ensure that everyone has an annual “physical” under your new socialized Obamacare health plan. There will be a non-refundable co-pay required before entering the screening area. Of course all of findings and images will be made available to the general public through the FOIA.

Welcome to Obamacare and thank you for flying – it’s your patriotic duty.

JA6601 on November 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM

What I’d LIKE is for you to keep terrorists off the plane. And no one has yet been able to explain how arranging for junk touching helps that in any way.

Lily on November 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM
This cannot be repeated often enough.

MeatHeadinCA on November 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM

One more time.

My daughter is traveling to Atlanta for T-giving.
I’m going to have to educate her on what’s going to happen when she comes to visit this weekend.

So that’s what you have to look forward to if you decline both options.

Good luck.

gekkobear on November 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Isn’t it amazing how none of the states have stopped this from happening?
Why are no states’ AG’s etc. doing something to stop the violation of our Const rights?
The federal govt is behaving in a criminal way & we just have to put up with it?
More passenger revolts. Class action lawsuits.
I don’t see any other way bcs the people who should be stopping this are going along with it.

Mae on November 17, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Taking the train is like riding the bus.
Takes forever & there’s lots of smelly loud people.
At least in my experience.
And here in ND, some years ago they shut down the terminal in Bismarck & you gotta drive far N to catch it: i.e. Williston or Stanley on my side of the state.
That’s like a 3 hr+ drive.

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Hobbes on November 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Okay – comments can stop – this guys just said everything that needs to be said.

Side note – I continue to be disappointed with the HA staff. Try taking a stand sometime or something. You’re gonna go ahead and put up with this but when they start the cavity searches you’re done?

Really?

Dorvillian on November 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

The TSA what has any of it accomplished. Have they detected, arrested and convicted a single terrorist because of the screening… answer NO. All arrests have been because of passenger intervention. By all measures the TSA is a failure.

Dasher on November 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Having the flight crews go through security is just political theater on the part of TSA. Its meant to give the appearance to the passengers that it must really be effective and important if the crews have to go through it also.

But considering airliners have a crash ax in the cockpit, and the flight crew is in control of the airplane, sending them through security is just silly

firepilot on November 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Rule 44.

Had to be said.

I R A Darth Aggie on November 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

As a measure of his intelligence and knowledge of his field – Pistole also said (in another interview) that the naked scanners are necessary because terrorists are using a lot of “non-metallic explosives”; so the standard detectors wouldn’t be as effective.

Solaratov on November 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

The scanners use dangerous radiation at higher doses than they should and are not being installed, used, or maintained by people who you’ld trust to work on your TiVo. I recently saw them being installed in my local airport and there is a strong likelihood that the radiation dosages aren’t to spec for a number of reasons (poor wiring, poor installation, poorly trained and generally incompetent operators). If they want to improve imaging resolution and/or speed, guess what’s the quick and easy solution–crank up the power! The only way they can get what they get at the speed they’re already working is by using very powerful, very focussed radiation that is concentrated on the near-surface tissues of the body. Think hours in the sun or on a tanning bed in seconds, just without the nice beachcomber glow. And of course no one is talking about the occupational exposure of TSA personnel. One could say they get what they deserve, but honestly, most of them are just doing a job and aren’t getting paid enough to compensate for their probably substantially increased cancer risk. Really, people–wake up. Everyone’s getting jerked around here, except the terrorists.

Ay Uaxe on November 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM

TSA – Tap Sack Agency

mnealtx on November 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Kids will now play TSA agent rather than “doctor” like the old days.

JA6601 on November 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM

yesterday hannity was on a rant and referred to “enhanced security procedures” and i thought, ‘EXACTLY! just like ‘enhanced interrogation techniques’”

i support both; yes, i know the latter is reserved for the bad guys; however, that only happens after we know who the bad guys are; in the case of a hijacker, that might be too late

i agree that i give up certain rights when i decide to fly on a plane; for example, i can’t smoke; i can’t use my cell phone, etc.; but i don’t have a “right” to fly on a plane anymore than i have a “right” to health insurance; it’s a choice; if i don’t like the requirements, i can take a train or bus or drive, etc.

and what about a cop who arrests a ‘suspect’? those aren’t exactly gentle pat-downs and for good reason…but how long will it be before some defense lawyer sues a cop for aggressively searching his client?

i think tsa should profile (hey, can private security firms do that?); however, since that will never happen, i want tsa to treat ALL of us like potential bombers

erclimb on November 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

i want tsa to treat ALL of us like potential bombers

erclimb on November 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

That’s a fine idea.
I have an idea: let’s require all US citizens to carry their papers with them, birth certificate, SS card, driver’s license/ID card, & then let’s have the Feds set up checkpoint all along major Insterstates & highways.
Let’s also have Homeland Security set up checkpoints in all the rural areas, deputizing local citizenry to watch their neighbors & call Homeland Sec. whenever they see their neighbors doing suspicious things.
Then Homeland security will treat every tip as a potential terrorist.
That’ll make us real safe./

Badger40 on November 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

What’s with the timing of these new procedures? Did these come out right after the election or was it just the media publicity that appeared after the mid-terms? Possible reasons behind these new policies:

1. Hurt the airlines holiday traffic (more profits/jobs lost)
2. Desensitize the populace to invasive searches/seizures, so these can be expanded in the future.
3. ‘Punishing’ the ‘dumb Americans’ who do not get Obamacare and voted against the Democrats, as was threatened by President Obama when urging Hispanics to vote.

These reasons may seem a little ‘out there’ but look what happened to Arizona, Louisiana, and New Jersey when they elected Republican governors in the last year, and the resulting federal assault on rights, jobs, and funds in those states. “Don’t you want to punish your enemies?”

jerseyman on November 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

i want tsa to treat ALL of us like potential bombers

erclimb on November 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

What happened to unreasonable search and seizure and innocent until proven guilty? At least stop and check the people who might actually pose a threat.

Maybe the TSA could recruit and train from the Soviet Union?

jerseyman on November 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Multiple choice question time.

You are walking by a middle school, you see a guy groping the kids.

Do you:
1) Ignore it.
2) Run away, he might be dangerous.
3) Try to stop him (possibly placing yourself at risk).

Question 2 (for the guys mostly).

You’re walking down the street, and see a guy run up and start feeling up a woman who starts screaming… do you:
1) Ignore it.
2) Run away, he might be dangerous.
3) Try to stop him (possibly placing yourself at risk).

If you just chose #3 on either, you’d willingly incur more risk to prevent the groping of women and/or children.

The new TSA policy is to engage in the groping of women and children for your safety. Defenders of this policy think that groping women and children for possibly increased safety is a good thing.

Do they choose #2 for both of the above questions? Are you the sort of person who will condone the groping of women and children to stay safer?

Anyone willing to admit that is who they are?

gekkobear on November 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM

i want tsa to treat ALL of us like potential bombers

erclimb on November 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Where is your line? the one where they pull down your pants and do a rectal check in public because some nut stuffs explosives in his anus to blow up a plane?
How about using some of those brains that were meant for more than “group think” and realize a country that faces terrorism everyday DOES have a better system in place, and that we should have copied that exact model from the beginning than the opposite of our constitution that makes you PROVE you aren’t a criminal before you get on a plane?

Noelie on November 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Lily on November 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Apparently the TSA tactic is copied from the Muslim’s practice of stoning the rape victim to death for adultery. This practice has proved remarkably effective in preventing the victim from ever being raped again.

Similarly, the TSA is making sure that nobody will ever want to fly again: fewer airline passengers means fewer planes, which means fewer opportunities for airline terrorism!

And sure…there might be a few Muslim women who interpret the TSA “enhanced pat-down” as rape, but their relatives will take care of that!

/SARC>

landlines on November 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Having observed the evolution of airport security since its inception well prior to 9/11.

My observation is that prior to 9/11 the screening process was about security. Those performing the task were not allowed to enforce or call out items that could be used maliciously. If the screeners did they were chastised as interferring with the customer and the air carriers did not want that.

Since 9/11 the governments involvement has switched the focus to you, an upright and upstanding citizen, beinging treated like a criminal. Because, if our focus was on those persons that have a record of being involved with terroristic groups would be Politically Incorrect (and since when did being Politically incorrect become an illegal crime?).

The goal of this regime is to finally take over the Big Brother Society and ignoring citizen rights for legal citizen and bestoing them on illegals. Why because they are the illegals big brother and if you treat the illegal right they will vote for their new protector.

We must stop this regime from gaining any further footholds into what is ours and giving it to others that do not deserve it.

MSGTAS on November 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM