Quotes of the day

posted at 10:46 pm on November 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

“‘I am,’ Sarah Palin told me the next day when I asked her if she was already weighing a run for president. ‘I’m engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here.’ Palin went on to say that there weren’t meaningful differences in policy among the field of G.O.P. hopefuls ‘but that in fact there’s more to the presidency than that” and that her decision would involve evaluating whether she could bring unique qualities to the table.

“‘Yes, the organization would have to change,’ Palin said during an hourlong phone conversation. ‘I’d have to bring in more people — more people who are trustworthy,’ she clarified. Palin said that her experience as John McCain’s running mate was for the most part ‘amazing, wonderful, do it again in a heartbeat.’ But she added, ‘What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren’t principled’ and that ‘the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can’t trust in the political arena.’…

“These actions bespeak a calculating shrewdness on Palin’s part. But then what to make of her inactions? Three months after endorsing Branstad, Palin visited Iowa for the first time since 2008 to deliver a speech but then left without scheduling any other events. And since 2008, Palin has yet to travel to New Hampshire, having turned down a triumphalist Tea Party Express rally in Concord the evening before Election Day. In both cases, her aides told me, Palin was overscheduled. But since Sarah Palin is the keeper of her own itinerary, we are left to wonder whether these omissions suggest disorganization, lack of foresight, ambivalence, distrust of politicos or some combination of the above…

“In a sense, Palin views Beltway Republicans as she does the Obama administration: aloof, self-interested and vulnerable to the populist power that she believes she wields. ‘They’re in an isolated bubble — Barack Obama mentioned that in his press conference, and I agree with him, he is isolated from what average Americans are talking about,’ she said, referring to the president’s words after the midterm elections. ‘But what he was meaning, of course, was that he’s not in touch with average Americans. I am — because that’s who I am. That’s who surrounds me, common-sense Americans who just want government on their side, not riding their backs. And I tweet to reach out to them.’”

***
“And then it hit me. The reason Palin has become such a lightening rod, a kingmaker and a punching bag, a celebrity and a power player, is simple. It’s because she’s so gosh darn happy.

“For her fans, like the ones I had the pleasure of meeting in Chicago, she’s refreshingly upbeat and resilient, the bubbly friend from childhood who was always great at cheering you up and cheerleading you on.

“But for her detractors, nothing raises the ire of cynical liberals more than a happy-go-lucky, totally unburdened, freethinking and self-assured conservative woman who has everything she wants and then some. And without anyone’s help…

“Sarah Palin, more than almost any other public political figure, represents the ‘can do’ rugged individualism and self-reliance that liberals fear most. She’s not just running her household. She ran her state! And in her new documentary series, we see that independent streak clear as glacier water. Whether she’s casting for salmon or scaling the rockface at Denali, she’s smiling – and just won’t quit.”

***
“Interviews over the last few months with numerous Tea Party and conservative voters in states around the country yielded no one who was enthusiastic about Palin running for president, though a handful said they were open to it. In addition, conservative and Tea Party leaders who are speaking to the grassroots regularly report that they have consistently heard the same thing…

“One significant conservative leader who travels the country frequently and speaks with grassroots activists frequently said that he does not see Palin as their choice in 2012.

“‘I think people love to hear her speak and love that she’s out there stirring the waters and challenging the status quo,’ the conservative leader said, asking that his name not be used. ‘But I don’t get the sense that they’re ready to say, ‘She’s the one we want to see as president.”

“‘You would think if people were going to coalesce around her that would be happening. And quite frankly I don’t see it,’ he said.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m just not sold yet!

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Did you read her book yet? It’s a pretty amazing read.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Delusional.

rickyricardo on November 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Haha, you are a damn fool if you can’t see it yourself.

I appreciate your in depth analysis, though.

Thanks, dude.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

You ever notice, every time the Chicago Jesus speaks the crowd shouts “Obama” “Obama”. When Sarah Speaks the crowd screams “USA!” “USA!” They get it.

The difference between a cult of personality and the personality of a Nation.

In the court of public opinion, she’s already this Nation’s First Lady.

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM

If we slash corporate and capital gains income taxes and flatten the tax code, remove regulations on industry, stand back and watch out. We will roar back to prosperity.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 12:42 AM

The Republicans need to recognize the damage that crony capitalism has wrought.

Deregulation without reigning in the Wall Street corruptocrats and their lobbyist buddies is setting the table for more economic distress and voter anger.

rickyricardo on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Like I said- John McCain. He won the nomination, and he was the worst candidate out of the entire bunch.

Palin could take the nomination because there are a lot of people out there who act as if she’s the second coming of christ. I personally find the adoration and worship a tad on the scary as crap side, but not much scarier than the Obamabot nonsense…they’re both celebrities, so they have adoring fans. Ridiculous adoring fans who treat them as they would the beatles.

Outside of a narrow group of diehards, everyone thinks Palin is a joke. As conservatives, we run the risk of looking stupid for attacking Obama’s lack of experience, then getting behind a half of one term governor who quit to make tens of millons and enrich herself. Let’s be honest- like her or not, her resume against Obamas…he wins. She’s got a teeny tiny bit more executive experience, but her quitting halfway through ONE term makes her look terrible. I liked her a lot until she quit, then I said, “no thanks.” I don’t get behind quitters. In terms of education, he’s got her destroyed there. 7 school Palin or Harvard? Might seem unimportant, but historically these things matter.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I hope this is a joke. Are we conservatives really going to laughably use the claim of sexism now? Why can’t people just dislike her because she’s a well known quitter whose resume is about as thin as Obama’s and we fought hard against Obama a mere two yrs ago and are suddenly behind someone whose resume as as paper thin? Or that she seems to have an arrogance on the same level as Obama’s, and that’s just a turn off for most people?

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

You, of all people, are going to hit someone else for being arrogant.

That’s funny.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM

I see many parallels between Reagan and Palin, and Obama and Carter.

Palin often gets compared to Reagan, but a different comparison seems more apt to me: Rush Limbaugh.

Palin likes to rile up the Left, and she’s brilliant at it. Both articulate conservatism fairly well, both seem to have their finger on the pulse, and both like being in the spotlight.

cpaulus on November 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

My money is still on Perry though.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM

He has the ambition. And I really like his threat of seceding from the union, and on states rights. 50 individual incubators of democratic experiments. Brilliant stuff.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

The Republicans need to recognize the damage that crony capitalism has wrought.

rickyricardo on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Oh look, common ground. You agree with Sarah Palin on this issue. Who would have guessed it.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Governor Palin will talk issues, her opponents will talk trash.

Sheya on November 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM

They have, and will continue to do so.

It’s important to focus on the issues and not Palin.
When Palin speaks to the issues, they talk about her negatives.

As Obama would say, it’s a distraction. Let’s use that against them.

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM

If Sarah doesn’t work the magic – then it’s over for her.

But I have a feeling … that she will succeed.

HondaV65 on November 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Seriously, after the Delaware, Florida, Alaska primaries, you should be delusional to think that Palin will be allowed to win free in a fair primary. The whole point of RINO-ism is to scorch her before she wins and throw tantrums after she does.

promachus on November 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM

and more than that…she can run herself. She doesn’t need therapists, and support groups. She’s comfortable accepting criticism and still moving her own way.

Fighton03 on November 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM

rickyricardo on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Nope. Just don’t bail them out when they fail.

Wall Street is not intrinsically evil. If you believe that, then you probably think Republicans and corporate CEOs are in a smoke filled room twiddling their mustaches like the monopoly game guy.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Yeah. I know. People who want to urge conservatives to not destroy the GOP by backing Palin are totally arrogant for doing so.

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Okay, so I’m kind of barfing up in my mouth on my way through this, but in a delightful way.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I’m pretty sure I know where you were going there..Now it is time for me to do a little barfing in a delightful way also!

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM

My money is still on Perry though.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM

He’s said he isn’t going to run. I think he believes he has the best job in the world.

cpaulus on November 18, 2010 at 1:42 AM

As we vote for our favorites in the upcoming 2012 Primaries the GOP nominee will emerge to face off against the obamanation. At that point, I won’t hesitate to pull the lever for Pawleeease or Mittens or whoever the Republican Standard Bearer is. Thwarting the take over of this Country be the likes of this (mis)administration and their minions is too important for me to sit at home on my hands or vote for a third party candidate…That and 23 Senate dems/indies/socialists are up for re-election in 2012…

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Lots of very good and insightful comments I agree with here.

I think what the polls are reflecting is that people like Sarah and think she would be a great President, but they are scared she would not be a good candidate in a race and might lose.

But once nominated, they will support her. And she can definately win.

As for independents and unpolitical people who don’t like her, I offer my 21 year old daughter as an example.

While I love Sarah, she won’t even watch her TLC show because she says Palin annoys her. Why? She is always so happy and she doesn’t like her folksy talk and voice.

No real reason. And you know what, she will get used to her folksy talk and voice. Sarah will grow on people who don’t like her now.

And there are many people who don’t like her or prefer someone else who will vote for her anyway.

Like my daughter. She is a lock vote for Sarah, because she is a good daughter and always votes for my candidates. lol Always, even in primaries. And she doesn’t like Obama at all.

Same with my son and husband and parents.

Sarah can win. The uncertainty about her now will not last.

Even I would prefer Jindal or a couple others that aren’t talked about alot. Because they would be easier candidates without the unfair and untrue baggage the media has placed on Sarah.

But the Palins are doing a superb job in fighting the misperceptions. Using today’s media.

My mother has a thing against Sarah, too. Because she is unconventional compared to Presidents past and her folksy talk. But just this week, I can see her warming up to her. And my mother would still vote for Palin even if she didn’t like her. My parents would never vote for Obama, or any liberal for that matter.

Patience people. Persevere.

Elisa on November 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Looks like the quitter became more powerful than anyone anticipated. So that’s a meaningless charge. Her resume as an executive is much fatter than Obama’s, so again, a meaningless charge. So… what am I left to wonder about when it comes to hating her?

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Check out this Fox News online poll. Notice that “other” has more votes than Romney!

Sarah Palin 37.03% (3,708 votes)

Mike Huckabee 18.25% (1,827 votes)

Other 15.71% (1,573 votes)

Mitt Romney 13.79% (1,381 votes)

Chris Christie 3.25% (325 votes)

Newt Gingrich 2.7% (270 votes)

Mike Pence 2.39% (239 votes)

John Thune 2.31% (231 votes)

Bobby Jindal 1.14% (114 votes)

Mitch Daniels 1.14% (114 votes)

Jim DeMint 1.06% (106 votes)

Tim Pawlenty 0.74% (74 votes)

Haley Barbour 0.51% (51 votes)

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Blecch! But in a good way!

Okay, Dire, time to get serious.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

You forget the fawning the media played in your analysis. Palin was a Mayor, and a Governor, successful I might add.

She quit under extraordinary circumstances, we are not playing by historical rules anymore. The left has has resorted to a scorched earth end result. Over the past elections, we’ve seen example, after example of the lefts determination, with complicit involvement by the media, do destroy anyone that would do what Palin has accomplished.

They would bury Palin and her State in a mountain of lawsuits just to discredit her. She saw that and defied the predictable. She left Alaska in good hands, to meet the left at their own game.

That’s not quitting, that winning from broader perspective. By that I mean, if McCain had won, or had the desire to win, she would have left the Governorship anyway.

She hasn’t stopped campaigning, she carrying out policy.

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Did you read her book yet? It’s a pretty amazing read.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM

No I have not read her book..guess I need too..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Elisa on November 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM

You raised a good one. And your message is spot on. Patience, folks. This is just getting started.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:53 AM

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Destroy the GOP? That is silly. If anything, Sarah Palin has done more than any other single person to SAVE the GOP in the last two years.

While there was rampant talk about the Tea Party going 3rd party, Sarah stepped out and reminded people of what
Reagan said about a revitalized Republican Party, and encouraged the newly involved activists to get involved in the primary system to reform the GOP from the inside.

Had she done the opposite, this landslide two weeks ago would never have happened.

She is the strongest link between the grassroots of the GOP, the Tea Party Nation, and the Reagan Legacy.

She is far more intelligent, perceptive, and strategically cunning than you seem able to acknowledge.

That tells me that you have a problem with seeing the results of her efforts. Even some liberals have grudgingly given credit where credit is due as of late.
Not you, though. Can’t give a single millimeter.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I agree. I will support her if she runs in 2012, but believe 2016 would be better for her. Every month she seems to toughen up just a little more, her defenses that much more sharp, embody that much more of Maggie Thatcher. There is an “aw shucks” Western amiability about her that turns a lot of people off.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM

In the court of public opinion, she’s already this Nation’s First Lady.

You’re exactly right. At the rate her star is ascending, and the star of The Won is headed in the opposite direction, the Republicans may not be picking Sarah as their nominee, as much as she will be picking the Republicans to be her party.

I am not kidding here, folks. To paraphrase a famous scientist, the future is not only stranger than we imagine, it may well be stranger than we can imagine! Hang on tight!

drunyan8315 on November 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Oh yeah. Us Texans have had some SERIOUS issues with him. He had TWO idies run against him in 2006, plus the generic democrat. That says, the guy learns from his mistakes. He cleaned his act up.

He’s proven he gets it. He and Sarah seem to be on the same page about things. He likes and respects her. He’s stood up for her when the elites have talked trash.

cpaulus on November 18, 2010 at 1:42 AM

No doubt. Being Governor of God’s own Palace is the best gig one can get!

And yeah, he’s said he won’t run … for POTUS, but you can bet if his buddy, who has a t-shirt with Alaska on it, Texas in the middle, and the saying “Size Matters” splashed across it, calls, he’s be on board.

I would imagine anyone she asks would jump at the chance, and hell, she may surprise us with an inspired choice just as McCain did with her.

I just see that those two get along well, and would work together well to get things done. Much better than a forced marriage type of deal like Reagan/Bush41. I don’t see her doing a compromise deal, like that. No Romney’s or other squishes to please the establishment.

That ship has sailed.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM

That, in itself, is remarkable, by any standards.

We are looking at the evolution of the GOP: Follow, Lead, or Get out the Way. We’ve seen both the leaders of the Senate and House fall inline with Palin’s calls for fiscal responsibility.

Who’s in tune?

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM

That ship has sailed.

If we’re lucky, the sonofabitch has sunk!

drunyan8315 on November 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Wait. Are you saying that Gov. Palin should run against a sitting Republican President or are you implying another term for the obamanation?

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Who’s in tune?

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM

We shall see. Any sour notes will stand out more than usual in the next several months.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Indeed, a lot can happen between now and 2012

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I dunno. You got me. I hope she runs in 2012 and wins. I just think if she had six years instead of two, she would be much stronger. She keeps getting better and better.

But you’re right. I don’t think Obama is going to win another term.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Okay, Dire, time to get serious.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Ok..Let’s get serious..:)

PS..Gotta love a sexy woman on a saxaphone!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM

@ LSU on 11/27.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM

…But then what to make of her inactions?…

Apparently the author of this article is deaf and blind.

Palin alone is everywhere: supporting candidates, giving speeches, commenting on issues, meeting leaders, getting face time on TV, gathering funds, …

There is nobody in either party, in or out of office, who is more actively demonstrating engagement, judgement, competence, leadership, and likeability every single day.

Palin also is demonstrating her uncanny ability to make her enemies in the press do her bidding.

If this is “inaction,” then everyone else in the political arena must be dead. Come to think of it, this is a distinct possibility.

landlines on November 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM

PS..Gotta love a sexy woman on a saxaphone!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM

If you’re gonna introduce sax, then you can’t forget this.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM

That was GOOD…did you notice “Lily’s” elephant tat at 1:17?

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM

@ LSU on 11/27.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Yeah LSU will lose in LR, AGAIN…

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Good one!..Staying with the sax I’m just turning the page!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Yes I noticed the Elephant tatoo!..:)

PS..You don’t think Lily is a Alabama Fan?!!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM

No I have not read her book..guess I need too..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM

All BS aside, you really should.

Read Going Rogue as well as “The Faith and Values of Sarah Palin” by Stephen Mansfield.

He’s a well respected NY Times best selling author who has written about the faith of George Bush, Benedict XVI, as well as a book on Winston Churchill.

I have followed Sarah and her career since she was first elected Governor, and have written about her myself, but I learned a LOT from Mansfield’s book.

He was able to sit down with all of her family and close friends. This deal really helps you understand what makes her tick.

Most of us know she’s stubborn as hell. The best way to get her to do something is tell her she can’t! This book just reinforces that.

I can also recommend Kay Cashman’s book, “Sarah Takes On Big Oil” It’s a serious look at how she wore the oil companies out. Cashman is the publisher of Petroleum News. Like Mansfield’s book, it tells the good and the bad.

Read those books and you’ll understand EXACTLY why Sarah Palin’s supporters believe in her so strongly. Why we have no problem fighting for her and would follow her through the fires of hell if she asked.

Plus, I think you’ll enjoy them.

Sarah’s book is written sort of like she talks. It’s very visual. You’ll feel the cold, fresh air, and smell how clean it is as you read the damned thing. She’s a very good writer.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Love the Seger. His Hollywood Nights still resonates, believe me.

Okay, Dire, with this I’ve gotta sign off.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM

PS..You don’t think Lily is a Alabama Fan?!!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Better that than a “can’t make up her mind” War Eagle/Tiger fan!!!

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Thanks for the tips on additional reading. I’m curious what you’ve written about, but don’t want to tip your hand on the anonymity.

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:42 AM

The only thing standing in the way of a Palin presidency will be Tokyo Rove and Charles Kruat dispatching the beltway GOP to destroy her every step of the primary season, and that’s a lot of trashing over a long period of time.

I guarantee you that the dumping they took on O’Donnell was just a leisurely warm-up. I don’t know what can be done to stop them, but if they aren’t stopped, THEY will bring about another obama victory in 2012.

The establishment GOP is far more dangerous to the Republic because of what they will do to Palin as her “friends” than the Left, who are expected to be haters.

And the answer isn’t just to run someone else. It’s not that simple to win against a campaign like obama. obama raised three-quarters of a billion last time around and with the media back in the tank, and his incumbancy and total dishonesty, it is clear that obama requires someone with sterling principles who is not afraid to take him apart every single day. A relentless warrior. Sarah Palin, a woman no less, is the only person who fits this description.

If Sarah could run in a clean primary, without the filth that the Cocktail Boys will fling daily, then she would win the primary walking away and take the presidency in landslide. *imho*

tigerlily on November 18, 2010 at 2:46 AM

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Good one!..I enjoyed it and just remember that the wheel in the sky..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Better that than a “can’t make up her mind” War Eagle/Tiger fan!!!

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 2:39 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:48 AM

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Maybe I will get to read them..They sound good!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:49 AM

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Thanks! Oh, my writing is just my blog, and some columns I write for the Cypress Times out of Houston, and other sites, nothing extra special. I have just written a lot about her, researched a lot.

I’ve written a lot about what went on in Alaska concerning her “quitting” and all of the crap Barack Obama’s hand picked thugs did to cause her to resign.

That’s why I get a case of the red azz when people call her a quitter. Myself in others were writing about her and fighting the liberal bloggers Obama and Rouse recruited, all of the way back to the “Troopgate” witch hunt.

In fact, I did a long piece exposing Obama, Rouse, and the pay for play with Kim Elton over Troopergate before Obama was even sworn in.

I was around when Reagan was President. My first presidential vote, in fact. I loved the man then, but never did more than vote. I was just a kid. I’ve grown to appreciate Reagan more as I’ve gotten older, and learned even more about him. To me he’s our greatest President.

I volunteered a little bit for Bush when he ran for reelection as Governor, but past that, no candidate has ever excited me to go all in before Sarah.

I read a story Fred Barnes wrote about her right after she became Governor. It was compelling. I wanted to know more. The more I learned, the more I just knew some day she would be President. It’s just one of those feeling you get.

When 2008 came around, another cat who really believed in her started a “Draft Sarah” movement for VP. A whole bunch of us signed that petition, wrote letters and so on. Don’t know if it helped, but it didn’t hurt.

There is a huge Draft Sarah for 2012 movement now. They are sending her letters, petitions asking her to run, and so on. There are chapters in many states.

Like I say, it’s funny. I’ve always been interested in politics, and enjoyed talking about it, and even fighting over it, but no politician has ever just hit me at a gut level. You just knew she was Teh Won, the second you knew of her. And at the time I knew little.

However, since then, getting involved fighting those friggin’ evil Alaskan bloggers, and Obama’s crew, as well as getting to know more, and so on, I’m totally convinced she is the right person for the job, and will indeed win.

She’s the first politician ever that I would trust unconditionally on any matter. She’s the real deal.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM

That’s it, that all the haters have is 2 yr old taking points. I am crying here, we need a better class of trolls. OK go back to your respective camps and come back with something new.

djohn669 on November 18, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Maybe I will get to read them..They sound good!..:)

Dire Straits on November 18, 2010 at 2:49 AM

Seriously, wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Kay’s book was written while she was still Governor, and before the Presidential run (when Palin’s approval number was 90% in Alaska) It’s a hard look at what went on. Nothing sugar coated or biased toward either side.

Made me realize I would not wanna find myself unarmed in a dark ally with a pissed off Sarah Palin coming for me! There’s a reason why they say Alaska is littered with the carcasses of those who pissed her off!

She’s not vindictive, or nasty, or anything like that. But when she knows she’s right, she’s gonna win. She’s not going to stop until she does.

I enjoyed Mansfield’s book because it debunks a lot of lies, and also delves into the history of several religions, including Sarah’s. In fact, the parts not about Sarah are just as interesting as the parts about her. Well written. Probably the best book about Sarah Palin not written by Sarah Palin.

Anyhow, I think you’ll find them interesting.

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM

gary4205 on November 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM

I agree with this, absolutely. I will be looking into your additional reading sources, too!

Night all!

John the Libertarian on November 18, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Good Morning! I just got up to use the bathroom.

OmahaConservative on November 18, 2010 at 3:22 AM

The 10 main objections to Palin’s presidential candidacy and why they are simply overstated or bogus:

1)Palin is unelectable.

Frankly if Palin is unelectable to the GOP nomination I can live with that in a contested primary system. Why can’t her detractors? Perhaps they don’t believe in democracy and healthy competition?

Now if these folks mean in relation to Obama all I need to say is that only 40% of the electorate would vote to re-elect the Messiah to a second term while over 50% would give him the thumbs down. Tell me at this time who is more unelectable.

2)Sarah Palin is a quitter!

Mitt Romney is the father of Romneycare; Mike Huckabee facilitated the release of a prisoner early who ended up murdering 4 cops in Washington state, and Newt Gingrich endorsed Dede Scozzafava, backed global warming and sat on the couch with Nancy Pelosi and in addition has had 3 wives.

By resigning from office did Palin cost the state of Alaska money as Romneycare has Massachusetts? No. She actually saved the state money for it no longer had to fight these frivolous lawsuits. They were already costing the state of Alaska millions of dollars at the time of the Palin resignation.

By resigning from office did Palin cause a loss of life or put the citizens of Alaska in jeopardy for their lives? If it did the Anchorage Daily News an anti-Palin newspaper would have notified the world that had happened.

And by resigning from office did Palin throw the Republican party and her conservative principles under the bus as Newt Gingrich has on several occasions after leaving Congress in the late 1990′s.

Instead by leaving office Palin staved off eventual personal bankruptcy. If she had stayed on as governor she and her family would have ended up in straitened circumstances and cost the state of Alaska millions more dollars as well attending to the complaints which Palin admitted were then taking up 80% of the time in the executive branch.

3)All Sarah Palin wants to be is a celebretard and to get rich. She is not a serious player.

So Sarah Palin is orchestrating an elaborate ruse on the American people. She has no intention of running whatsoever. Let me ask the folks who subscribe to this belief a question. What are you going to say when Palin throws her hat into the ring and runs for the GOP nomination and then engages in the various debates through 2011 and visits Iowa, NH and SC and basically travels throughout America?

4)Sarah Palin is not qualified to be POTUS and/or does not have the experience.

Isn’t that what the primary season and the general election is all about, proving you have the mettle and clarity and leadership skill to do the job of POTUS? And perhaps Palin is not ready to be POTUS in Jan 2011. She doesn’t need to be fully ready till Jan 20, 2013.

Think of what Palin has learned over the last 16 months since her resignation. Do you think that she isn’t going to learn a hell of a lot more by 2012?

5)I prefer Jindal, Daniels, or Pence etc.

Let me tell you unless your name is Jeb Bush no dark horse will be ascending to the first tier in 2011 or 2012. What you see now in the first tier is what you will have to choose from–Romney, Palin, Huckabee and Gingrich. Get used to the idea!

6)A woman can’t be POTUS (misogyny)

Over a hundred years ago many men felt that women should not have the right to vote. Don’t you think it’s about time a woman occupied the WH other than being First Lady? If you don’t then I suggest you become a monk and avoid women altogether.

7)Mitt Romney is “the next one” according to the party establishment and the MSM

So Palin should forgo running because it’s Mitt’s turn; but why are you folks not so insistent that Huck and Newt bow out as well so that we can have a Romney coronation?

8)The MSM will destroy Palin and she will take down the GOP with her.

Well for the last two years the MSM has been trying to take Palin down. What the midterm result? More seats picked up in the House and Senate since 1938. Did Palin take down the GOP in 2010 by being so active during the midterm campaign? No!

9)Palin is too dumb or not intellectually curious enough to be POTUS

Well, if she will reveal herself in the heat of battle, won’t she and you’ll get the last laugh. So what are you afraid of? That perhaps Palin is smarter than you think and that she may not make any unforced errors.

10)Palin will drive away moderates and independents from the GOP. The facts are conservative indies comprise 36% of independents. They are not about to become estranged from Palin. 16% of indies are liberals. They are never going to vote for any Republican in a hundred years. So that leaves the approximately 42% who are MODERATES. What if the economy doesn’t improve? Many moderates are fiscal conservatives and social moderates. They would vote GOP as they in 2010 if Obama’s job performance on the economy does not improve. Quinnpiac today had Obama’s disapproval on his economic performance at 56%.

Oh by the way, on Sept 20/2010 in a poll of likely voters Rasmussen pegged Palin’s F/UF with independent voters at 52/47.

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

1)Palin is unelectable.

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

BULL HOCKEY!

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Adding Perry would add nothing to a Palin ticket. Ideally she’d choose a younger person from the House or Jindal and try to set up a 16 year dominance in the White House run. Jindal, Cantor, Pence, Ryan, would all help her with establishment types while also helping with independents. Three of those guys come from states Obama won in 2008.

cpaulus on November 18, 2010 at 4:04 AM

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Polls can be deceiving and skewed. Plus, I don’t think polls get anything more than someone willing to spend time answering loaded questions. NULL

Your #7 is intriguing – there is an establishment within the GOP and democraps that rings to Hillary’s inevitable run.

Don’t think that won’t happen. The skids are being greased.

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM

1)Palin is unelectable.

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

BULL HOCKEY!

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM

D’OH

I jumped to soon! Apologies! Good points!

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

YEAH, BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gohawgs on November 18, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Getting the nomination will be the hard part. But if she gets the nomination, she’ll win. I notice these people in the article are not saying they wouldn’t vote for her if she were the nominee.

The whole “I like her but …” is just the doubt the Left, MSM and the RINOs are trying to create in people’s minds to scare them off of her. It reminds me of the line; “Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?”

I’ll stick with believing my own eyes because I know who the real liars are and their fear of Palin is palpable.

Done That on November 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM

The difference between a cult of personality and the personality of a Nation.

In the court of public opinion, she’s already this Nation’s First Lady.

Kini on November 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM

That one’s gonna leave a mark…

Khun Joe on November 18, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Done That on November 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I am not a leftist or anything like that. I am sick of all the constant RINO attacks leveled at anyone and everyone who thinks that it will be hard for Palin to beat Obama. If she gets the nomination, I will vote for her…but I think it would be folly to overlook or ignore her high negatives. I don’t care if she got 5 million people to watch her show or not. A lot of people just do not like her or think she is competent for this job. If she can overcome that, she can win..if she can’t she will lose. I just have my doubts that she can overcome those negatives.

Terrye on November 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM

AnninCA, This ho is so sick of the lyin bro that nothing would make me happier than to vote for Palin. It will make little, big-eared, Barkey puke for a month! Stupid Palin will expose the bro for the Dumb-0 that he is. She will wipe the floor with him in the debates. Paybacks are a beeeotch, Barkey.

Jayrae on November 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Terrye on November 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Palin has the conservative vote…it’s the independents, can she win over the independents.

right2bright on November 18, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I just have my doubts that she can overcome those negatives.

Terrye on November 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM

She sees the same numbers we do. Whether she runs or not depends on if she feels she can overcome those negatives.

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Stiring the pot gets lots of post’s but doesn’t always make for a good piece.

New Patriot on November 18, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I’m not voting for Sarah Palin in a primary vote.

Murf76 on November 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

“But what he was meaning meant, of course, was that he’s not in touch with average Americans. I am — because that’s who I am.”

Arggh! Paging Henry Higgins. I have an admittance admission to make: Her ideas are fine, but I cringe at this bastardization of the English language.

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I’m not a Palin robot.
But I read her 1st book (is the 2nd good, too?) & I like her just as much if not more after seeing her all over the news.
She’s not stupid, she’s the farthest thing from arrogant, as far as being a quitter: I think she did the right thing.
And doing the right thing usually always gets you a bunch of flack.
I read her FB page & I hear the things she has to say.
She is a smart honest woman.
She is doing things that I would do & say.
So I guess that makes me a lot like Sarah except she has the guts to run for office & I sure as hell never would.
In fact, I think a lot of us women can identify with Sarah.
So bash her, call her stupid, unqualified, unelectable, blah blah blah, but I believe she has what it takes & I will vote for her any day of the week.
She IS change that I can believe in.

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM

right2bright on November 18, 2010 at 7:35 AM

A lot of those people bend with a light breeze, they’re so wishy washy.
I liken these people to the people around where I live that kibbitz over selling their calves at sale barn A which has the most bidders & always brings the best prices on cattle overall.
But if they don’t get a free coat or something from the field man when he comes to look at their calves before selling, they get miffed & go to sale barn B where their calves sell for less $$.
These kinds of people are stupid, petty, & worthless.
And it’s unfortunate they are part of the electorate.

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM

ROFL…..admittance was used to drive a point home and it was correct english.

unseen on November 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM

And it’s unfortunate they are part of the electorate.

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM

they are the people that make our elections into popularity contests. On the issues adn policy positions Gov palin is the only candidate worth a dam. Those voters you are referring to will take the style over substance everytime. It is a shame.

unseen on November 18, 2010 at 8:30 AM

The main reason
I like Palin is because I trust her to keep her word more than any of the rest. this from a person who’s first vote was for Reagan and I didn’t trust him as much as I trust her.

djohn669 on November 18, 2010 at 8:30 AM

The left continues to tell us that they relish the thought of Obama running against Palin and that he will mop the floor with her. Of course while they say that their knees are quivering and pee is running down their leg. We know who they fear and it isn’t Mitt or the Huckster or any of the faux-conservatives with their hands raised, saying “pick me, pick me”. They fear the mama grizzly. They are right to do so.

Extrafishy on November 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Cough Huckabee Cough.

Seriously if you haven’t got the balls to identify yourself when making these sort criticisms of a fellow conservative then you don’t deserve to identify yourself as a leader of the conservative movement.

Hellrider on November 18, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM

It’s easy to spot the haters – they nitpick the little things because they can’t fault her policy positions.

fossten on November 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM

How is it that amongst her fans she is seen as the “mama grizzly” that won’t back down from a fight even though she quit her job as gov due to the opposition giving her a fight?

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM

You do understand she won that fight right?

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM

You clearly do not understand the fight, and how the rules were stacked so that she wouldn’t win no matter what she did.

Don’t worry, it will be debated endlessly in the near future, as it has in the past.

You will get to hear her explain all of that to you, and others will as well, then make up your own mind.

If you haven’t already, that is.

Brian1972 on November 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM

You do understand she won that fight right?

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

by quitting? Well i hope she “wins” better if she gets the repub nomination for the presidency. What you consider a win isn’t what I consider a win.

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

If she had fought this thing tooth and nail in court and eventually triumphed she would lead the pack of R contenders by double digits, instead she gets beat by the Huckster in some places and by RomneyCare in others. Id take Perry, Christie, Thune, or even Daniels over her at this point

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Then you have no idea of the situation. Do I really need to explain this? It’s been explained so many times before.

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Hellrider on November 18, 2010 at 8:57 AM

THIS.

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Evidently, it doesn’t matter how many times you explain something, bcs if they don’t get it, they never will.
I tried explaining to many why Bill Clinton was a POS.
They still don’t get it.
And that is why we get people like Huckabee & Ron Paul.

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Badger40 on November 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Yeah … “quitter” is the liberal version of events. The real version is she went on the offensive, and beat the democrats at their own game.

darwin on November 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Are you kidding me? Did you get your talking points from Harry, Nancy or Karl?

royzer on November 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM

1)Palin is unelectable.

2)Sarah Palin is a quitter!

4)Sarah Palin is not qualified to be POTUS and/or does not have the experience.

5)I prefer Jindal, Daniels, or Pence etc.

6)A woman can’t be POTUS (misogyny)

8)The MSM will destroy Palin and she will take down the GOP with her.

9)Palin is too dumb or not intellectually curious enough to be POTUS

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

This is an wesome post and analysis. I am actually going to copy it and keep it for future reference.

Elisa on November 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

It is true that some people don’t like “happy, chipper” folks mainly out of pure cynicism. “No one can be that unflappable and happy so she must be fake,” they might say. And when they make that judgment it isn’t a far leap to say she must be fake about other things as well. They cannot believe that she would have substantive policy ideas or be anything but a shallow thinker. If she says something that sounds substantive it’s because someone told her what to say and she’s just regurgitating it for the cameras, they would say. They said this about Reagan as well. My own late grandfather, a Chicago democrat, thought that Reagan was just a puppet and someone was pulling his strings. Being cheerful and unflappable, to them, is a sign of stupidity. Smart people are grave and serious nearly all the time, don’t you know. On top of that, she espouses patriotism! That’s more proof she is stupid, to them, because smart people know that the United States has shortcomings and that those are more important than the good things. Liberal/progressives are pessimistic, morose cynics. Many people in this country, because the media and entertainment industry (that is, pop culture) are cynical about Sarah Palin, believe that cynicism themselves in part because she seems fake. I don’t think she is. I believe she is who we see and hear and is not being manipulated, nor is she manipulating circumstances to become wealthy. Her biggest “negative” is that she is too positive. Only a bunch of cynics would buy into that. Unfortunately, we’ve been taught by experience to be suspicious and cynical where politics are concerned. She has a tough hill to climb, but climb she will.

BillyWilly on November 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

you should suck a rotten egg for continuing with the worn out “quitter” theme

Sonosam on November 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

On the subject of negatives, we are talking hear purely about perceptions. Some people perceive her as incompetent, but is she actually incompetent? If Sarah Palin didn’t have that folksy mid-western accent and “ah shucks” delivery, would her actual statements be better received. If we compare things she has said to, say, Margaret Thatcher’s statements, how do the compare on their face? An interesting experiment would be to take statements from several political luminaries through the years, strip out any colloquialisms and quote them without attribution. Include some of Palin’s statements as well. Then ask people and pundits to rate the relative “intelligence” of each statement. After that give them a list of people who made the statements and ask them to assign likely candidates to each statement. Tell the quizees that you don’t need to use every name in the list. I wonder how many people would assign ANY to Palin.

BillyWilly on November 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

ROFL…..admittance was used to drive a point home and it was correct english.
unseen on November 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM

“ROLF”. She used incorrect English to make a point, and you claim it was correct English. Makes perfect sense./

fossten on November 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Oh please! I’m not a Palin hater, and I prefaced my comment by saying I have no problem with her ideas. Call it a pet peeve, but I cringe when I hear the English language misused – something she does all too often. I have the same reaction when Obama says “tuh” instead of “to” or when people use the word “folks” or “gentlemen” to describe Al Qaeda terrorists. But, hey, don’t listen to me. Let her keep making these errors and see how many potential voters she loses in the process…

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM

BillyWilly on November 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I have often said that the only reason Obama sounds brilliant is because of his attractive baritone voice. If his speeches were read by someone with a grating voice, like, say, Fran Drescher, people would soon realize how empty of substance they are.

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Buy Danish on November 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Excellent point. Bammie studied public speaking styles by listening to black preachers, as he admits in one of ‘his’ books. I wonder if there are any old videos of his unenhanced speaking?

Give Jessah Jacksum the Bamster’s voice and public speaking training, and we might have had a black president decades ago.

slickwillie2001 on November 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM

snoopicus on November 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

It was only quitting if you are stuck thinking “inside the box“.

I salute her brilliant maneuver which 1) cut short the liberal litigation attacks, 2) stopped the drain on state funds defending herself from attacks, 3) allowed her to fund raise at will, 4) attack Obama’s policies at will, 5) campaign for conservative candidates nationally and 6) appear on multiple media outlets projecting a strong positive image.

If you call that quitting, you obviously don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Her creative strategies are running circles around the old dinosaurs, and its scaring the crap out of them.

And if that’s quitting, we need more “quitters” in the US!!! Not only would we accelerate out of this economic hole the Dems keep trying to imprison us in, but we would return to being the bastion of freedom and liberty that the rest of the world was jealous of. It’s about time we had an energetic, attractive conservative candidate who can promote proven successful ideas and lead our country!

dominigan on November 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Are we conservatives really going to laughably use the claim of sexism now? Why can’t people just dislike her because she’s a well known quitter whose resume is about as thin as Obama’s…
TheBlueSite on November 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!… [wiping eyes]

“TheBlueSite”… “we conservatives”…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

Good God. Give it up. That was the worst lying / trolling I’ve ever seen. You… as a conservative…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!… I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks!

dominigan on November 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

technopeasant on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Elisa on November 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

AGREED! +1000

dominigan on November 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I was wrong:

When I thought her resigning in July 09 was a mistake.

When I heard she was doing a “Reality Show” on TLC.

When I saw that Bristol was going to be on DWTS.

So far her picks are having a lot better result than what my guesses would have been.

Let the primaries, debates, etc. begin. If for no other reason than it robs OJesus of of airtime.

I’m still not convinced she’s going to run.

PappyD61 on November 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Maybe she just didn’t want to go and doesn’t need the triumphalist Tea Party Express rally like many politicians need the adulation such as………..(fill in favorite politician’s name.)

Herb on November 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM