Hot Air reader poll results: Fiscal issues trump social issues by … quite a lot

posted at 1:22 pm on November 17, 2010 by Patrick Ishmael

These are the results of the survey we took at the end of Allahpundit’s GOProud/Tea Party priority post. The eye-popper? Question 3.

Analysis follows.

Do these results mean social conservatism has no place in the present political environment? Absolutely not. However, what this survey does suggest is that in order to maximize economic and social conservative gains, conservatives and libertarians think it will require two distinct strategies — inter-related, but clearly bifurcated. Republicans and Tea Partiers are choosing two-track governance: a fiscal issue track at the federal level, and a fiscal/social issue track among the states.

This year’s midterm voters by-and-large cast their ballots to shrink government: to roll back the massive expansions of the past two years, and probably much of the expansion of government of the last decade. Economic issues were the foremost concern of voters, and on that question conservatism won nationally.

Republicans win when voters are convinced the GOP will make the federal government smaller and less invasive, and generally speaking lose when voters believe the GOP will enlarge the federal government’s power. Nationally-speaking, that applies as much to social issues as it does to fiscal issues. To me, enshrining social issue firefights at the highest level of government necessarily suggests an encroachment by the federal government on the local and state communities that are most intimately concerned with the resolution of those issues. My own preference, and the impression I take from this survey, is that Republicans/conservatives/libertarians would rather decentralize, than hyper-centralize, its government, especially now.

So, that was the survey.

In other news, I parsed the following Presidential primary map from the data for your enjoyment. Survey responses were very close to proportional by state, so… this is pretty representative of the country (of Hot Air) as a whole. “Winners” were almost uniformly by plurality, not majority. This map includes all the candidates polled, and will very likely change going forward.

Feedback welcome. I’m on Twitter.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Nice work Patrick!

juanito on November 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Hardly surprising. Allahpundit and Ed Morrissey are social liberals who support marijuana legislation and homosexual marriage and blogs tend to attract like-minded people. I wouldn’t advise attempting to draw any larger conclusions from the poll results though.

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I don’t even bother reading the Gay Controversy threads anymore.

sharrukin on November 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I was unable to complete the poll but it matches my feelings to a tee.

I’ve been saying for years the we need to put the social issues aside. I know it’s selfish but if the issue does not impact me and mine….I don’t care.

Ditkaca on November 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

So, Palin couldn’t get a plurality of the Alaska HotAir-ites, eh?

Wineaholic on November 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Christie won Alaska!!!

Big men are warm in the winter, I guess…

tommylotto on November 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I missed this poll while at work, but a lot of people are going to be disappointed with Christie’s positions should it come to that. Jindal should be higher too, but some people may be avoiding him because of his coddling of creationists.

And who – seriously, who? is voting for Huck?

fiatboomer on November 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I didn’t see this poll, but I would have voted for Sarah. I am a bit surprised TX didn’t vote for Sarah though. Everything HA voters voted for, I would have also.
L

letget on November 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Ed is very much pro-life, and Allah isn’t far off.

fiatboomer on November 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

oh come on – you make it sound like they ghost for Arianna…

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I think the message to social conservatives should be that we aren’t all in to your crusade…

It would be interesting to see a more scientific poll along these lines.

Keith_Indy on November 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Donald Trump got 14 votes?

IronDioPriest on November 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM

So, Palin couldn’t get a plurality of the Alaska HotAir-ites, eh?

Wineaholic on November 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Apparently the pork is strong in Alaska. With Palin … not so much.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I never could get through to that poll… Not that it matters. I like Christie and Palin.

Fallon on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Here’s the thing, I voted for the option that asked if I would support fiscal conservatism even if it meant a more liberal society only because my big social issue can’t get much more liberal.

Were I in Ireland, my thoughts might be different.

Vera on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I was unable to complete the poll but it matches my feelings to a tee.

Ditkaca on November 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Me too, although rather than “put them aside” I’d just say “keep the Feds out of it”.

I think this nails it:

peski on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Not really representative of the GOP: Christie winning AL and the South? Still fun. Just for entertainment value, this board is going to be fun to read if Huck gets the nod.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Keep trying guys it doesn’t matter how hard you pump the issue, the truth is simple, there is no Fiscal Conservative Movement with out the Social Conservatives. But hey, you want to FAIL, try and separate the two and you will all the FAIL you can handle.

thmsmgnm on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

It’s interesting to see how HA readers voted.

forest on November 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM

A fiscally conservative nation is naturally more socially conservative.

A fiscally liberal nation (aka deep in debt) is naturally more socially liberal … and near death.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Donald Trump got 14 votes?

IronDioPriest on November 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM

LOL.

peski on November 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Fractured & Broken are the future of the GOP.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

The Palin faithful were busy voting multiple times for DWTS and completely missed this poll…/sarc *it is a joke people*

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

this board is going to be fun to read flame-war central if Huck gets the nod.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM

peski on November 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Ed is very much pro-life, and Allah isn’t far off.

fiatboomer on November 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Generally true, however I believe both have fallen into the trap of elevating fiscal issues over social issues (my only problem with this is the abortion issue), and have expressed support for pro-choice candidates because the pro-life candidate had little or no chance of winning. This is a problem for me.

samuelrylander on November 17, 2010 at 1:37 PM

The United States of Hot Air. hee hee hee That’s funny.

Good work, though

ramrants on November 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM

*it is I am a joke people*

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

How did you figure out which state the responders were from? Was that part of the survey or did you use IP address to determine location?

I’m asking because if you use IP address, depending on the ISP, an IP address that says California could really be from someone in Florida and the ISP issues the IP from a server in California.

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Well interesting results but don’t get carried away with them. HA is a troll magnet and they aren’t necessarily discouraged.

CCRWM on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

We are a Red Mustard Yellow Country!

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Without social conservatives, Obama is re-elected.

Maxpower on November 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Nothing keeps one warmer on a cold Minnesota night, than some prime Chris Christie pr0n!

MNHawk on November 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I’m honestly not that surprised. Despite the usual suspects, Hotair is one of the more sensible right-wing sites, so when push comes to shove people will admit that fiscal issues trump social ones. It’s just recognizing reality.

*it is I am a joke people*

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Hit a little too close to home, you sourpuss?

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

And who – seriously, who? is voting for Huck?

Smarmy, tax-and-spend nanny-staters. That’d be my guess.

radioboyatl on November 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

CCRWM on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Exactly right.

kingsjester on November 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Repost the poll. I need to vote for Jindal 736 more times.

rukiddingme on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I intended to comment on this when I took the poll, but I had other deadlines. First of all, I answered “Yes” on question 3, simply because I could not think of any way that pursuing fiscal conservatism would lead to a more socially liberal culture… in fact, fiscal conservatism should do the exact opposite (consider that entitlements are usually associated with a liberal culture, so cutting back on entitlements would constrict and not expand liberalism). If you provided a specific example, I believe that your results would be dramatically different (e.g. proposing that a balanced budget amendment could be enacted by compromising with liberals via greater restriction on gun rights would quickly reveal a complete inversion of your poll results).

lionheart on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM

The last part of the survey asked for survey-takers’ two-letter state abbreviations. Google Docs doesn’t track IPs (at least not from my user interface), so to pinpoint locations, I have to ask about that sort of thing specifically.

Patrick Ishmael on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Why can’t Republicans ever learn from Dems? You don’t run as a social con. You run as a moderate and govern as a con. And at election time you go back to a moderate since the average American has the attention span of a gnat.

Yet for some reason Republicans never seem to learn this very basic lesson of politics.

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I agree with this on one level, but I think a case can be made that the results stem from a feeling that if we don’t fix the fiscal mess asap, the other issues won’t matter all that much.

Vashta.Nerada on November 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Patrick Ishmael on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Gotcha.

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

oh come on – you make it sound like they ghost for Arianna…

Lol, I don’t mean sound so down on Ed and Allah but it’s just noticing reality to say that they’re well into libertarian territory.

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

The Tea Party’s strength is that it represents fiscal responsibility and liberty. There is no liberty in social conservatives forcing us to live by their values.

Cara C on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Take care of fiscal policy first. Then work to win hearts and minds on the social issues. Demanding an end to Roe v. Wade as a starting point turns off many potential converts. Most people don’t really know what Roe v. Wade means other than it keeps abortion legal.

cozmo on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

For a while now, I’ve been wondering why I still access Hotair since I’m a Christian conservative and there’s more and more of the liberal social slant that I don’t agree with. The website has been slowly but surely leaning towards social activism with a very liberal leaning, but I wondered if this was just a phase. Hotair used to focus more on just the fiscal issues but I guess those days won’t come back.

This poll just shows I’m one of the last Christians to leave the site, most already left and I have been a bit too slow to follow suit. If you think you’re a representation mainstream conservatism, now you know you’re not.

Thanks for letting us know that social conservatism is definitely not welcome here anymore, so Christians can officially avoid this place.

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

There is a box of tissues you can take at the exit…

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Personally, I am a staunch social and fiscal conservative.

However, as far as social issues are concerned, I see them as being between an individual and God, not Government. Personally, if someone wishes to partake in drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc…, but presents no harm to others (e.g. not driving while high, drunk, stealing my money etc…), I simply don’t care. If anything people in their immediate community (church, schools, etc…) should serve to HELP these people and discourage such behavior if possible. Peer pressure works both ways. To me, these issues of personal/social behavior, as long as they remain personal in nature are a matter of liberty, no matter how stupid the personal decision is.

On the other hand, fiscal issues, as we all see now, will collapse the country.

I really think the right needs to bag the social platform as a platform and stick to the pressing fiscal problems. If you must feel the need to regulate some social issues, leave it to the states – where it constitutionally can take place.

cktheman on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

The thing to do is not leave, but stick around and defend your point of view. Spread the word.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Other 2012!

The 14% of us will win this thing I bet.

;)

mankai on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

This is a stupid poll. It’s like asking …

If eating pizza again in your lifetime would mean you may never be able to eat another hot dog, would you eat pizza? It’s a trap question. To answer one way gives the okay to candidates to spend as much as they want, and to answer the other way gives the okay to ignore conservative values.

A more accurate question would be to simply ask …

Are you okay with candidates who will vote for amnesty, homosexual marriage, legalized drug use, and teachers teaching your kids that they ought to try doing it with the same sex, because they might like it, as long as you don’t go broke?

Your results will be quite different.

Gregor on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

cozmo on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Agreed. i suedto be hard core conservative, but social issues are just getting in the way for now.

Scoreboard44 on November 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Good point.

peski on November 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Without social conservatives, Obama is re-elected.

Maxpower on November 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM

That is because the Social conservatives are the grassroots volunteer types that are the heart & Conscience of the GOP.

Fiscal Conservatives are the Reasoning of the GOP.

You can’t win with no Heart!

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM

That’s “I Used to” not suedto. jummpin jimminies.

Scoreboard44 on November 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I think all this really says is that – right now – people are more concerned about fiscal rather than social issues.

This isn’t rocket surgery.

Issues like gay marriage and DADT are issues because the Left is keeping them that way. Yeah, AP and Ed do a lot of posting on those issues – when they are in the news, but so what? I go over to AoS and see some of the same stuff. One of Ace’s co-bloggers is gay, so of course it’s going to come up as subject matter. So what?

Just like SS and Medicare, the Left keeps them as they are – so they can have the issue.

Also, I answered ‘Other’ as to the pick for a presidential nominee. Under other, I put ‘unknown’. Really people? We’re picking our preferences now? I guess it’s fun as an exercise, but to glean anything else is a stretch.

catmman on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

If pursuing fiscal conservatism led to a more socially liberal culture, would you pursue fiscal conservatism?

Yes 2298 72%
No 798 25%

Says it all, conservatism isn’t just limited government and spending, its limited intrusion in personal lives too.

Speakup on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Daniels?

Akzed on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Hit a little too close to home, you sourpuss?

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Did Bradky use the Phone a friend option?

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I’m some weirdo reader who claims to be a Libertarian, yet voted for Palin.

SouthernGent on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Pish-posh. right4life knows best and is convinced all libertarians are useless liberal idiots.

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

cktheman on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Well, you have to include society or else they wouldn’t be social issues. But you’re right that government has no business injecting itself into what used to be societies business. In fact, the only reason we’re talking about social issues is because the government has decided to become our moral and social nanny … usurping the responsibilities once held by society.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Your results will be quite different.

Gregor on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

If you are broke and starving to death, does it really matter what your kids are being taught in school?

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

That’s an “I’m going home and taking my ball” answer. Just because someone doesn’t fit your definition of Christian you say they aren’t Christian. I thought that’s what lefty’s and zealots of other religions did.

Would you rather win small increments to get to the final goal, or have no chance of winning at all?

cozmo on November 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

This isn’t rocket surgery.

catmman on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I’m stealing that.

Vashta.Nerada on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

It’s pretty simple; If we fall to a foreign power due to our lack of fiscal responsibility (which will lead to a lacking military) all of the social issues are moot.

For those SocCons getting uptight about feeling shunned by the FisCons- the question posed in #3 isn’t an attack- actually it seems logical that fiscal conservatism will lead to social conservatism. Just look at the most socially liberal states- they are also the most fiscally liberal.

NTWR on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

That’s a fine narrative you’ve got there, but given that October was our best traffic month ever, I’m willing to bet there are still a few Christians logging in now and then.

Neither I nor Ed ever claimed that the site was a representation of “mainstream conservatism.” We give our opinions and link stuff that interests us. If you don’t like the links or opinions, fair enough.

Allahpundit on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

There is a box of tissues you can take at the exit…

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Very respectful, Troll./ Considering Christans comprise 75 % of America’s population, you’re hopelessly outnumbered. ChristianRock, stay here and fight for what you beileve. You’re not as alone as you think.

kingsjester on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I’m some weirdo reader who claims to be a Libertarian, yet voted for Palin.

SouthernGent on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

There were lots of you, don’t worry.

Patrick Ishmael on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Thanks for letting us know that social conservatism is definitely not welcome here anymore, so Christians idiotic Puritan leftovers can officially avoid this place.

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Take a hike and take your buddy rightaboutnothing with you.

Or you can pull in that lip, use your head for something besides a hat rack, and figure out why storming off to SoCon-Land would be a Bad Idea.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Well I like Christie on fiscal issues and taking on the Unions and he’d be a great ATTACK DOG as VP Candidate but he wouldn’t bring the Northeast into play at all (though it might cause the Dems to spend resources in the Northeast that they might not have too).

BUT, I’m hearing he’s a MEGA-Lib except on Fiscal issues and you can’t seperate the Social from the Fiscal.So where would he fit as appealing the GOP Base?

I just want a REAL CAJONES OF STEEL CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE nominee to work my heart out for in 2012.

I don’t really care who……but I do have a personal preference.

PappyD61 on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

No you can’t win with no heart, but you have to at times be realistic. If you don’t take on the fiscal problems first and fix them which everyone agrees on then going after Row v. Wade isn’t going to do anyone any good but alienate those voters we need to get our people in just as what happened with the Tea Partiers and the emphasis on FISCAL problems. Social problems where kept on the sidelines.

oh….I’m still here and I am a Presbyterian christian.

Scoreboard44 on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Question 3 is sort of a non sequitur… I actually believe that fiscal liberalism is the cause of many of our social ills… so reforming the welfare state, eliminating useless government programs and departments, and returning power to the states will lead to a more socially stable and moral population.

mankai on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Did Bradky use the Phone a friend option?

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I had to disconnect my phone after you had called me about 200 times imploring me to post more often at HA…

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I found question #3 obnoxious and didn’t answer; in fact, I found the questionnaire based on a flawed premise of incomplete and often false choices.

As to question #3, one has to be far more explicit and particular about how and when a “fiscal issue” comes into conflict with a “social issue”, i.e., what does this mean, what are the cost and stakes?

But to me, the momentous and defining debate is fiscal vs. freedom. I was and continue to be disturbed by the monomania with the “fiscal” these days, and avoidance of “freedom” as an issue for conservative candidates. We talk about freedom only in passing and mostly as it relates to finances or the “fiscal.” What about our plain and simple freedom? I don’t want to hear about “CBO estimates of Medicare” as much as I want to hear about the violation of our freedoms represented by mandates and medical databases and gag orders against corporations for issuing flyers to their customers. The rage to spend and tax is really a rage to control our lives and circumscribe our freedoms and choices.

I don’t recall any candidate talking about the gross assault that Obama’s regime (Obamacare is only one example) is waging on our freedoms. This should be the greatest uniting message for all Americans.

Thomas Paine didn’t wear green eye-shades.

rrpjr on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Can you spell S.O.R.E L.O.S.E.R?

AprilOrit on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

So killing babies is cool as long as we balance the budget?

Keeping people dependent on welfare is cool as long as we don’t overspend?

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hot air has a liberal social slant? Wow, what planet are some of you on? Just because people are not in favor of the federal government being involved in values battles and culture wars, does not make one socially liberal.

Because social liberals also want the government fighting values battle and culture wars, just of their slant. And if you think Hot Air reflects more of the values of left wing social liberal Dems, then you have bigger problems to worry about.

True Conservatism is about having small government, and having things done on the smallest level of government possible. Tax policy and federal spending is inherently something we have to deal with on the federal level. This whole fallacy that anyone who is not a social conservative is therefore a social liberal, is silly beyond belief. A lot of us dont want an activist federal government being our nanny and telling us how to live.

firepilot on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

This isn’t rocket surgery.

That is worth stealing. Beauty.

Scoreboard44 on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Very cool. I’d like to see more of these style polls.

I personally don’t care if every damn day is Gay Pride Day – fix the nation’s fiscal mess (and NOT by raising taxes, damnit) or we’re all dead anyway.

Me:
NH/TP LIB/FISC/YES/PALIN (but would also support Christie in a heart beat)

RedNewEnglander on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Take a hike and take your buddy rightaboutnothing with you.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Kiss off jackass.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Why do social cons get so bent out of shape? I may agree with all of your social positions, but not want them to be facilitated at the federal level. Maybe I want the states to decide for themselves.

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I’m still here and I am a Presbyterian…
Scoreboard44 on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Nobody’s perfect, don’t sweat it.

Akzed on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

So you DID get my Calls!!!!/

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

cktheman on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

And the government shouldn’t muscle its way in-between — especially with borrowed money.

cthulhu on November 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

You never leave the field and expect to win. Don’t get mad at some fun poll or posts: this site is not representative of the GOP. If it were, Huck would have no chance; instead he has a very good chance. I lean Pence myself, which I don’t think he’s that popular with this board as well. The one thing that’s good about hotair is that it’s news focused, which you won’t find really anywhere by RCP.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

mankai on November 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. For example, stop defining ‘welfare’ as ‘hand out free money to anyone and demand nothing in return’, and a lot of social problems will suddenly start solving themselves. Or at least stop getting worse.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

you sourpuss?

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Take a hike and take your buddy rightaboutnothing with you.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Kleenex. Get some.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

firepilot on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

So you DID get my Calls!!!!/

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Yes and apologies for not answering the calls. I was usually burning incense to pictures of Arianna….

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Kiss off jackass.

darwin on November 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Don’t let your mouth write checks your hands can’t cash, wingnut.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM

And yet every single time they’re voted on, in red states and in blue states, the social issues poll conservative. That’s an easy map to draw.

Ronnie on November 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Kleenex. Get some.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Get your own.

Dark-Star on November 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM

John the Libertarian on November 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Many libertarians are useless idiots because they can’t get past the marijuana issue.

I used to be the same way on gun issues. If a candidate didn’t have an A+ rating from the NRA, something must be wrong with them. Not true, and I have matured my views since those days.

catmman on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Your results will be quite different.

Gregor on November 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You just dont’ get it. I don’t want the Federal Government dictating on social issues like homosexuality – not anti-homosexual Christians, and not anti-Christian homo-nazis. Get out of it.

Cara C on November 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Exactly. And that’s not to say that I don’t agree with “social cons” on many issues.

peski on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

HuffPo is a bad religion to get involved in.

Don’t drink the Grape Kool-Aid. It’s a One way ticket.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Can you spell S.O.R.E L.O.S.E.R?

AprilOrit on November 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Huh? I’m not sore. The poll results didn’t surprise me in the least. Like I said: Hardly surprising.

Besides Allahpundit comment just reconfirms what I said in my comment: the site is tailored to Allah and Ed’s specific views/personalities and the readership reflects that.

aengus on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM

This poll just shows I’m one of the last Christians to leave the site

ChristianRock on November 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

No, what the poll shows is that on a federal level, more conservatives feel that the government should worry about fiscal issues and that social issues should be left to the states.

strictnein on November 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

HuffPo is a bad religion to get involved in.

Don’t drink the Grape Kool-Aid. It’s a One way ticket.

portlandon on November 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I should have mentioned that the rest of the time I was conducting seances with Christine OD so I could claim the objective moral high ground… ;)

Bradky on November 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM

there are some things beyond the reach of the federal government. Social issues are in that realm.

ted c on November 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM

John the Libertarian

They seem to often have a their way or the highway mentality. Either we give them the keys to the kingdom, let them drive the GOP truck and let them define what true conservatism is, or they will stomp their feet and play the proverbial drama queen at the party who announces they are leaving, for about two hours before they leave, if ever.

I am not quite sure how think they they got to be the ones who get to determine who true conservatives are, and who true Republicans are, because not that long ago, the So Cons were all Democrats and voting for people like LBJ and Jimmy Carter.

firepilot on November 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM