Harry Reid: I’m bringing the DREAM Act to the floor — for a standalone vote

posted at 8:29 pm on November 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s the least he can do. After all, he owes his win over Sharron Angle to Latinos, no?

Actually … no. As Kaus notes, his margin of victory was such that he would have won by 7,000 votes even if every last Latino voter in his base had stayed home. So this is actually something else — part pre-2012 pandering for Obama, part last-ditch effort to legalize millions of new Democratic voters before the new Republican House makes that impossible for the foreseeable future.

During his re-election campaign in Nevada, Mr. Reid said he would try again to pass the legislation, known as the Dream Act. And in a Twitter message on Wednesday evening, his office said he would try to do so in the current session as a stand-alone bill.

The House speaker, Nancy Pelosi of California, has been discussing the immigration measure with Democratic colleagues but has not yet scheduled a vote on it, a spokesman said.

The legislation would give legal residency to immigrants who arrived in the United States before age 16 and resided here for at least five years, graduated from high school and completed two years of college or military service. They would be subject to background checks, could not have a criminal record, and even if successful would still not be eligible for benefits like Pell grant scholarships.

The media’s been spinning this as a “small” amnesty, but as you can see from the last paragraph (and as Kaus, again, has repeatedly pointed out), there are a lottttt of people who fit that description. Says the boss emeritus, “The illegal alien student bailout will NOT be limited to ‘children’ — but, in fact, would put illegal aliens in their 30s and 40s on a ‘path to citizenship.’” And Obama is fully onboard, needless to say, having met with the Democrats’ leadership on amnesty at the White House yesterday. What I can’t figure out is whether Reid is moving on this knowing that vulnerable centrists like McCaskill and Tester who are up in 2012 will be inclined to filibuster, or whether he actually thinks he has the votes either via reluctant Blue Dog types signing on or moderate Republicans breaking with the GOP. I assume it’s the former and that he’s only pushing this in the lame duck session so that he can tell amnesty shills he gave it his very best shot when it fails. But if he can keep his caucus together, he only needs one Republican to push it through. Gulp.

They’re also pressing ahead with DADT in the lame duck. And to think, I thought December would be a slow news month.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Democrats can stand behind me in the “you can’t break up families” call. If you want to understand “breaking up families”, I call your attention to the matter of Enrique Soliano, father of fallen soldier PFC Armando Soliano, as an example.

unclesmrgol on November 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Who cares what you think, statist?

Take your sob story and shove it.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) needs to receive LOTS of phone calls to help her understand how unpopular the Dream Act is!

Coincidently, Senator Diane Feinstein is up for re-election in 2012.

Sen. Feinstein spokesman Gil Duran said late Sunday that the senator also asked ICE to delay Li’s deportation until she could assess whether proposing a private bill was appropriate in the case.

“As an original co-sponsor of the DREAM Act, I believe it would be unjust to deport Mr. Li before we get a chance to vote on this bill, which would allow students like him to attain U.S. citizenship,” Feinstein said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.

As students at California Public Universities are protesting increasing tuition rates, are Californians really willing to pay more to educate ILLEGAL immigrants?

wren on November 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM

A couple of things…

Diane Feinstein doesn’t care if YOU think DREAM is unpopular…

If Boxer won by 10 points, Feinstein would win reelection by 20 over ANYBODY…

She’ll be 79 years old if she stands for reelection in 2012… As rich as she is (she ALWAYS has been), and assuming the election looks like another TEANAMI, she may just retire rather than LABOR in the minority party in the Senate…

Khun Joe on November 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Finally, by the way “we” (Californians) voted on NOV 2, “we” are willing to pay more to educate ILLEGAL immigrants, along with everything else, until the state treasury explodes and Sacramento melts down…

Me, I should be voting with my feet in 2011…

Khun Joe on November 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM

PFC Soliano was a United States Citizen.

You, sir, with all due respect, are not fit even to lick the mud off of his boots.

And he was Army.

unclesmrgol on November 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Guess what? A lot of Americans are Army too and we don’t expect our families to be able to break federal laws because of our service.

Maybe Dad won’t pay his taxes.

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM

lisa moocow would help reid out…

please let the gop have a spine and deny her any senority seats

cmsinaz on November 18, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Will the GOP actually fight, or bend over like they always do?

Will some of the dems, smart enough to see the writing on the wall, vote against this travesty?

They all know the mood of the electorate.

dogsoldier on November 18, 2010 at 6:59 AM

The house already passed it.

angryed on November 17, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Thanks, but I just can’t find a source that says that. Wiki says House Dems have considered adding it to the defense appropriations bill – is that what you mean?

Missy on November 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Or I could just read the sources AP links above:

Missy on November 18, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Is there any possibility that this could be legally challanged? There must be laws for people here illegally.

stenwin77 on November 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Go ahead, Harry, you too, Nancy. This is EXACTLY why your party took such a hit. Forget about the financial and tax issues that are dragging us down, push an agenda that not only makes things infinitely worse, but that the overwhelming majority of the country hates.

Gridlock would be a blessing over this…

Eren on November 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM

The dead duck shouldn’t bring anything up for a vote, besides naming post offices. They couldn’t work on a budget and pass that or fix the tax code so we can plan for next year. Leave us alone losers.

Kissmygrits on November 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM

If dad robs a bank and gives the money to the kid, and the kid manages to keep the money for 5 years without getting caught, should the kid be able to keep the money?

So, if a dad sneaks his kid over the border, and the kid manages not to get caught for 5 years, why should we reward that?

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM

PFC Soliano was a United States Citizen.

And he was Army.

unclesmrgol on November 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM

There are a lot of foreign nationals in the U.S. military. Should their extended families all automatically be given legal residency? How far do we go? Adult siblings? Aunts? Grandparents?

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM

unclesmrgol on November 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM

This is easy: Enrique gets his honorary citizenship post mortem for his service, his parents can get in line or follow their brave son’s example.

Alden Pyle on November 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Who cares what you think, statist?

Take your sob story and shove it.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM

It’s not my sob story — it’s PFC Armando Soriano’s. As your penance for showing disrespect to a serviceman who died in the line of duty, you can lick his other boot clean after rightwingyahooo finishes the first.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Alden Pyle on November 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Ah, a Gold Star in the window means nothing.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Yes. As far as will fix our broken immigration laws and return them to those Lincoln prefered. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Maybe Dad won’t pay his taxes.

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM

But, if you die, wouldn’t you expect your parents to be treated honorably?

If the Dream Act becomes law, will you still feel the same?

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Its so noble of you to want to change our language and culture so a few people can get more the right to vote. How does it make you feel to enforce a change the majority does not want and would never vote for?

PrezHussein on November 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Ah, the “they’ll never fit in” meme. My Italian grandfather heard that one often. Good luck using it on me — it doesn’t work.

As for changing the language and culture — if our culture and language is so weak that we cannot handle the assimilation of a group presently in our country equal to only 1/30th of our population — well, we are doomed anyway.

As for what the majority want, if I went with the majority, I’d be all for abortion — until recently, when I’d suddenly turn against it. If I lived in the 1910′s, I would be all for Prohibition — and if I lived in the 1930′s, against it. If I lived in an earlier age much closer to the founding of our nation, I’d be all for slavery — until around 1855, when I’d suddenly turn against it. What the majority wants is certainly to be considered in a democracy, but what the majority wants is oft-times wrong, and does not stand the test of time.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Once this passes expect a renewed flood of stories about the tragedy of breaking up illegal immigrant families. One member might have been given a “path to citizenship” but due to the uncaring nature of the American system the other members still face being deported. Of course, if separating families was such a horror the entire family could return to their country of origin. But that’s never mentioned.

Fred 2 on November 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Again, PFC Armando Soriano. PFC Soriano is buried in Houston, TX. I suppose they could dig him up and carry him across the border — and that would suit you greatly, wouldn’t it?

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

So, basically you don’t want any immigration laws whatsoever? Why not just declare the world population are all citizens of the U.S. and be done with it. They can each get the vote and apply for welfare payments.

It’s not worth arguing with someone who doesn’t even start from a reasonable place.

You can continue to believe that american citizenship has no value and should be pissed away by giving it to all takers, but that is silly.

I’m not going to come back and check your response b/c, at least on this topic, you aren’t a serious individual.

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM

when you can’t bother with the distinction between legal and illegal immigrants you know you have no reasonable argument to make. YOu’ve done that for the entire thread. So, quit using a dead soldier as your political argument. It’s stupid.

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Why do people hate america so much that they believe it is the only nation on earth that is not allowed to have citizenship requirements or immigration laws?

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I have quite a reasonable argument, and it’s the same one, as I’ve pointed out over and over, which sits at the base of the Statue of Liberty:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

– Emma Lazarus

I think my position is far closer to that ideal than yours, and if my argument is unreasonable and stupid, than so is the position articulated so well in this poem — the one in place for most of our forebears.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

So, quit using a dead soldier as your political argument. It’s stupid.

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Now you’re going to tell me to quit using a corroded copper statue, right?

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

The “military service” part of the Dream act is a “Red Herring” as it does little to nothing to change current law.

Currently there is NO restriction on foreign born person’s from enlisting simply because they are foreign born, why is this law needed?

How do I know this? I served with a lot of them.

From the dream act.

“Military Enlistment contracts require an eight year commitment. “Any alien whose permanent resident status is terminated [according to the terms of the Act] shall return to the immigration status the alien had immediately prior to receiving conditional permanent resident status under this Act.”

This is already the current law, the Dream act for military service is restating current law.

I do believe any foreign born person, upon complication of 4 years “honorable active duty service” should go to the “head of the line for US citizenship”, if they want it.

The only change is “

served in the uniformed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, have received an honorable discharge

.”

DSchoen on November 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM

But, if you die, wouldn’t you expect your parents to be treated honorably?

If the Dream Act becomes law, will you still feel the same?

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

No comparison. They’re already living here as legal US Citizens. What I asked you is if up your logic they’re allowed to break federal law simply by virtue of me being a soldier whether I’m alive or dead?

You couldn’t be further off the mark on this argument.

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Geez, I have never seen you use such emotional sensationalism in one of your debates. He was here legally serving as an legal registered immigrant in our military. I have served with plenty. They wait like anyone else to naturalize and get their families here. What is yoiur legal, non-emotion point if you even have one?

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM

You couldn’t be further off the mark on this argument.

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I think I’m squarely on the mark. There’s a plaque in the base of the Statue of Liberty that sums up my position, and others have to either ignore or belittle the words on that plaque to counter my argument. They have to deliberately ignore words spoken by none other than Ronald Reagan.

There’s an informed conscience telling me that Enrique Soriano — father of fallen soldier Armando Soriano — deserves residency if for no other reason than his son’s sacrifice.

That sums it up for me.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM

My legal non-emotion point is the Dream Act. I want it to pass. If it passes, by your own rules as you’ve stated previously, it is the law of the land and must be obeyed — just like the Chinese Exclusion Act and the Alien Exclusion Act which came before it.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Plus Webb (VA), Nelson (NE), Pryor(AR), Landrieu(LA), Nelson (FL), and maybe a few others. Has Reid forgotten that a Hispanic Republican was elected Governor of Nevada over his own son?

Steve Z on November 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Steve Z on November 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I think that thought is quite strongly influencing his direction. The new Governor is pro-Arizona-law (like I am), but you will note that the Arizona law does not target all illegal aliens, just those who break state laws regarding correct behavior.

See this.

I really like the final liberal quote in the article because it can be applied to Obama as much as to Sandoval:

You are not going to get it because of accident of birth you are the first of something. We want to see results. And there is going to be high, high expectations.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

That sums it up for me.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

The folks came through Ellis Island illegally?

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

The folks came through Ellis Island illegally?

hawkdriver on November 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

One set came legally, just one year before the quotas were clamped on the Italians.

My wife’s set came illegally, as “paper sons”, because of the Chinese Exclusion Acts.

Now, as for Enrique, no, he did not, but you are being disingenuous by attempting to say that the poem at Ellis Island doesn’t apply because he didn’t. As for Ellis Island itself, the numbers of immigrants passing through prior to, versus after, the Immigration Act of 1924 is telling. The Poem to which I refer was installed into the pedistal of the Statue of Liberty in 1903 — 19 years before the restrictive immigration laws the rest of you love came into existence. Prior to that time, only the Chinese and the Japanese were subject to restrictive immigration, and few of those came through Ellis.

unclesmrgol on November 21, 2010 at 2:29 AM